3.1

1. Nov 19, 2013
    DO NOT BUY!

This game is broken on launch for PC. Capped FPS is 30, if you unlock via console the game speeds up based on the increase.

i.e. 60hz 2x the speed. Poor UI design, unskippable cut-scenes, a disgrace and a disaster. The reviews for this game are FAKE!
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is utter ****

The game is hard-coded to 30 FPS, the graphics are poor, the game is riddled with cut-scenes you have to watch over and over again, and you can't even skip them, avoid at all cost, until these problems are solved.
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    Apart from a new map and ferrari it's basically the same game as the previous one...nothing new, nothing we haven't seen before...the 30 fps cap with blurry graphics, ugly colors ,lack of AA, no option to skip cutscenes and repetitive gameplay this game is a poor excuse of a PC title....not worth it.
  4. Nov 19, 2013
    Graphics are at best 'nice', when you're watching gameplay at 30 framerate, capped. Gameplay itself is a mess, constantly taking control from the player, with few customization and car options to unlock. Interface seems... Fffine-ish. I went into this game with a positive outlook in fact, but there's just so much working against it. Even though it's nitpicking, that opening cutscene, kinda dumb too.

Also, if you're interested as to why this game even HAS positive reviews, look at the users' other reviews they either don't HAVE any other reviews, or its for some other EA game. We've seen this kind of foul play before.
  5. Nov 19, 2013
    No, This game is broken! Capped FPS IS ****....30! NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR A MODERN GAME. AND WHEN YOU UNCAP IT THE GAME GOES Poor AI Car Speed, Poor UI. We have to go through 10 to 15 minutes of cutscenes before we start playing. This game is a disgrace and just plain broken, take it down from the Origin store now!
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    Avoid, if you can. If you have to have it, buy it for a console. In short: -bad port, - locked at 30 FPS (Can't change it in the options. Console commands make the game go nuts speed up) ; **** GUI no mouse control IG (maps); Tutorial is pointless (Cant skip); Cut-scenes (Cant skip), -Customization is "Limited" (Why can't we tune our cars like we could in the Underground (2), Most wanted, carbon ?)
    -no in car view... only 2 choices, 3rd person view or pumper.

The list goes on and on, it's the same need for speed we've seen in the last few years. again.
  7. Nov 20, 2013
    Avoid this game as plague. An extremely poor port from the consoles, with no mouse support, rubbish performance, unskippable and repeating cutscenes, constant crashes and the game seems to be hardcoded for 30 fps, making it impossible to play at anything above that without the game going all bonkers.

If you are a die-hard NFS fan and still want to try it despite all the issues, just
    pirate this title, the public will understand. Expand
  8. Nov 19, 2013
    I had to create an account just to say this is absolute rubbish. The game has been dumbed down to console pleb level. This game is broken beyond play ability. The worst NFS game I've ever tried to play and I played Carbon... What does that tell you?

Stay away. If you're curious play on a friends machine and be disappointed for yourself. Save the cash.
  9. Nov 19, 2013
    It is not a big difference between this game and smartphone games. Worth max 5$ in my opinion 30fps is a sad joke.
    Pros:
    you will see now who write reviews for money
  10. Nov 20, 2013
    The game itself would deserve a 5 or 6 if I could play it more than 15 minutes without feeling literally sick.
    What the hell was on EA mind? This is not an rpg or a puzzle game which can run at 30 fps flawlessly. This is a racing game, and racing games are supposed to be FAST.
    Also, no AA settings, no mouse control in game, no cut-scenes skip..

Just another horrible porting
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is so dumbed down I can't believe I spent $60 on this awful game. The game is the same thing over and over again. All you do is chase or run away over and over, awful.
  12. Nov 20, 2013
    DISGUSTING!
    hard coded to 30 fps, game runs double speed if changed to 60 fps.
    the 10/10 reviews are FAKE! DO NOT BUY!
    it is obvious they did not spend anytime developing the PC version.
  13. Nov 20, 2013
    Dont buy this game. Its an insult to gamers and its not a real next gen game. 30 fps lock and awful performance in towns sections. Terribly bad port just like always, EA does not take PC seriously.
  14. Nov 21, 2013
    Broken game, avoid it. Extremely poor console port.
    The actual graphics are nice as it uses the new Frostbite 3 engine and the driving is solid but for absolutely no reason at all (well they did give a reason but it does not even make sense) they have decided to limit the frame rate to 30 which for any pc gamer this should be and is completely unacceptable both from a visual and a
    gameplay perspective. Reports are that this is hard coded so the possibility of any fix being made available is a gamble
    I can only recommend that you buy this on PC if your system would never have been able to play at over 30fps to begin with as underneath it appears there is a good game, for everybody else I suggest you take advantage of Origin's new refund policy.
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    Good graphics, poor gameplay, music is tottaly crap, but good sound of auto, multiplayer isn't working. it's just boring at all. I played for 6 hours and I don't want anymore? What is this I played in High stakes for months, just like in Underground 1-2, most wanted, but this, this game can't give those hours of gameplay and chalenge because it can't.
    With all my desire to say that this
    game is good I can't, beacause it's too short, too simple, too stupid.
    EA, stop rapping nfs dead body.
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    I do not know what else to say about the guys who produce this series, nfs is going into the pit gradually over rivals, this game with an awesome graph, the system runs and persecutions without breaks makes the game good, the more over 2 hours played you already start to get sick of running the same way, with the same police behind you, there is no the slightest difficulty in releasing the cars, the goals are pathetic, there is a great repeatability in the game that makes you give up right outside the game and castrated at 30 fps, which makes the experience even worse, with several drops fps throughout the game, do not buy the game, not to be wanting to be playing jumping mountains and playing beats beats with police. Expand
  17. Nov 21, 2013
    30fps do not buy do not buy do not buy do not buy
    nice graphic, nice game play, nice car
    BUT!!! BUT!!! pc 30 fps stupid mind
    30fps do not buy do not buy do not buy do not buy
  18. Nov 20, 2013
    The idea for the game seems interesting, but the execution falls horribly short on PC. The game is horribly optimized, with the frames per second not only locked, but unlocking it breaks the game. The only thing that seems to interest me about this game is the idea of playing at X2 speed just to get a good laugh and see what glitches come up. It might be a decent game on consoles, but for the PC the best feature is that EA will give you a refund through Origin. Expand
  19. Nov 21, 2013
    Capping the framerate to 30fps on PC is beyond ridiculous! The whole point of a racing game like NFS is playing it at ultra smooth framerates. Once again PC gamers are being neglected with this pathetic console port. So until EA fixes this my rating will stay 0...
  20. Nov 20, 2013
    30 fps lock, lack of graphics options, no AA this game is just awful console port. Moreover, it's awfully optimized. No it's not optimized at all! I can't play it even with all settings set to "low". For example, I can play Battlefield 4 built on the same Frostbite 3 with all settings set to "medium", and I have 40 fps! HOW? Btw, the game provides you gorgeous landscapes, and the world of the game is really big. But I can't enjoy it with all these freezes and lags! Moreover, amount of cars is VERY small and I'm expecting a huge amount of car-packs-DLCs. Thank you, EA. When the game starts the first time, you have to listen to all the annoying tutorials, and, what is more annoying, you can't skip them!! Gameplay is nothing new, just a compilation of HP and MW2012. I'm disappointed. Again. 3 out of 10 for beutiful graphics, all the thanks to DICE. Expand
  21. Nov 20, 2013
    The PC version. graphically is very disappointing low resolution textures, a lot of aliasing (saws everywhere), poor lighting, very few configuration options ...

This does not look like a "NextGen" game.. I think EA has sabotaged the PC version in favor of the new consoles if this is true EA really is the Cancer of this industry...
  22. Nov 20, 2013
    While the gameplay itself is quite fine (nothing special but still playable), the problems are killing all the joys of playing this game. The famous FPS lock is just ridiculous. I have 2 GeForces running in SLI and the game (maxed out in settings) only able to load ONE of them for about 30-40%. So everything feels FAR from smooth (and I was somewhat expected some smoothness from AAA project released in 2013). There are no any anti-aliasing settings in-game, so the game looks extremely jaggy. Constant disconnects from the host are just killing me. In summary: do anything with the AllDrive system but remove the FPS lock, let me choose better anti-aliasing, do something about host migrations and the score would be in 7-9 range. Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2013
    Totally a trash game that destroys whats left of the name... broken beyond belief even for an EA title!
    Locked to 30FPS... seriously! Cant play in full screen mode on some systems due to black screens and other graphics issues, random slow downs in game, poor customization and certainly not what your lead to believe your getting from the trailers and press. AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Get a
    refund if you can... Expand
  24. Nov 21, 2013
    Hard Capped 30 FPS, 30. PC gamers invest tons of money into their Gaming machines to achieve the highest FPS they could and you cap your game at 30.

I not sure if the game it self is any "fun" but its not worth the time and money which is apparent after 5 minuets of gameplay.

I think TotalBiscuit said it best "Avoid like the plague"
  25. Nov 22, 2013
    WHY?

NFS: Underground is very good.
    NFS: Underground 2 is very good.
    NFS: Most Wanted (2005) is very good.

NFS Rivals is Cons:

Main (press Esc) No Pause?!
    No Reste Racer???! Where?? (Level 1)
    No Skip Videos and Tutorial
    Fake Hard drive space 30GB?? is Real HDD 9GB?!
    I DON'T LIKE GHOST GAMES.
    Bugs.
  26. Nov 24, 2013
    Don't buy this game, it's capped at 30fps. A good PC can do so much more, EA don't deserve any sales when they disrespect PC gamers like this.

Seems like it could be a decent game, it's just a shame that EAs attitude towards PC is so bad.
  27. Nov 24, 2013
    This is the worst console to PC port I've ever encountered. I thought SimCity was an embarrassment for EA, this game is even worse! Thank gawd for EA refunds.
  28. Nov 23, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS ****

This game does not support any driving-wheels. I lost my 20$ on this I will never buy again your driving NFS seria. POSITIVE REVIEWS ARE FAKE HERE. It is EA marketing.
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    30 fps max on a 2013 PC game is unacceptable. If you unlock it to 60 fps, the game is unplayable. This is ridiculous. Played the very first NFS games, this is a big disappointment.
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    So...SOOOO tired of this social seamless crap, where are the days where you could customize you car completely ...speakers... suspension jumping up and down...sigh, and the NIGHT races....aw well... and yes this 30fps thing is not nice, I usually don't care for fps but in a racing game its necessary
  31. Nov 21, 2013
    Boring game with thousand of bugs, useless engine (for racing games), minimum innovations and max. 30 fps. The only good thing is Graphics. This game looks nice and cars look just fantastic! Anyway, good graphics is not important if gameplay sucks. Do not buy if you already own good old Undercover, Most Wanted (good old version, not the new and other NFS games.
  32. Nov 21, 2013
    I am somewhat conflicted about this.

You know, I'd really like to complain about the idiotic 30 FPS limit and the horrible decision to lock the simulation to the FPS and all that but I can't, because that would require me to actually be able to play the game for a reasonable amount of time.
    Which I can't because it crashes every couple of minutes and usually so hard that I have to hard
    reset my machine. (running an i7 GTX 660 Ti, nothing out of the ordinary)

What I did see of the game seemed pretty fun, though. Nice driving, nice graphics. Nothing spectacular (I'd even say that Most Wanted actually looked better at times) but it's reasonable. Can't complain about the UI either as I'm using the 360 controller to play but I can imagine M+K users to be somewhat annoyed by it.

Also, the AllDrive idea seems pretty intriguing. Not that I actually experienced it as the game never ran long enough for me to engage with other players, but I can see the potential.

Overall I'd say I'll really enjoy this game once it is fixed (rumor has it they'll patch the 30 FPS limiter out as well). Problem is that I want to play it now and I can't (three days after release). And even if I could I wouldn't enjoy it to the full extend because of the unnecessary limitations.

Verdict: A solid 8 for the actual game, -2 for the state it is in (can't play at all, crashes the entire machine), -3 for the incredibly moronic idea to put a 30 FPS limiter into a friggin' racing game on the PC.

Fix this nonsense, EA, and we're looking at a pretty nice game here.
  33. Nov 28, 2013
    This is a bad game. You shouldn't buy it. If you look to the left, you'll see a number of professional reviewers telling you how much fun it is. I see one, in particular, saying "Need For Speed ​​Rivals is fast-paced, convincing and fun above all." I cannot speculate as to the motives of someone who would write a statement like this. Perhaps he received a different version of the game I did. Perhaps the creators are bribing him somehow. Perhaps he is simply an idiot.

This game has no pause button. In the abstract, that sounds like it wouldn't be too big of a problem. In reality, it is a huge problem.

I was just playing it five minutes ago, and a song came up on the soundtrack I liked. The engine noises are really loud in this game, so I wanted to turn down sound effects so I could hear it better. I hit start to go to the audio menu, and the overlay came up just in time for me to slam into a wall. So much for that race. There's also no "restart race" button, as far as I can tell, so if I wanted to do it again I'd have to drive back to the starting point. How many times in a racing game, or in any video game, have you made a minor error that required you to restart the stage? Imagine that each time you did, you had to drive all the way back.

The graphics are unimpressive. If you look at the promotional screenshots, you'll be very impressed. Some of them look as good as professionally produced real-life photographs. These screenshots are lies. I am running the game on maximum settings, and it looks like a late-generation PS3 game. I am not a technical person, so I can't speak to the 30FPS issue that other reviewers are complaining about, but the game feels jerky and I see a lot of anti-aliasing problems. The city the game takes place in is boring. It's just a generic California city. There's nothing fun or amazing to see, or at least, I haven't seen it.

The soundtrack is mediocre. I haven't found a song I like; it's simply an undifferentiated mass of generic techno and rock. I say this as someone who enjoys techno and rock, and listens to quite a lot of it in his spare time. This stuff is no good.

Possibly the worst part of the game is the cars. They all feel the same, and they're no fun to drive. What makes a car "fun to drive" is an interesting question, and unfortunately it's one I don't have an easy answer to, but I can tell you that I don't see a difference between one car or another. Everything seems to drive like a Honda Civic. Civics aren't bad cars; but they're certainly not exciting.

The entire game is built around a multiplayer experience. Unless you unplug your computer's ethernet cable, you'll be placed in an open-world with 8 or so other players. (This, coincidentally, is why you can't have a pause menu.) Multiplayer racing with friends is fun and exciting. Head to head races, where you test your skills against other players, are challenging and suspenseful. Driving around a small city with a bunch of people you can't communicate with, who are mostly ignoring you as they try to work their way through what is essentially a single-player game, is no more thrilling a daily freeway commute to work. Unless you're unfortunate enough to come across a griefer who likes to ram you. Then it's even less fun.

I am not a big racing game player, and this is actually the second modern racing game I've purchased. The first is Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, which you can buy in a pack with Burnout Paradise for about 7$ on Amazon this week.

It is a final, damning indictment of this game that Hot Pursuit, a three year old title, and one that can be purchased for less than 20% of the price of this game, is better than it in any way. Before I fired up Rivals a few minutes ago, I was playing some Hot Pursuit. I was driving an F1, a five million dollar sports car that FEELS like a five million dollar sports car, as opposed to Rivals' blocky, boring sedans. I was driving along a beautiful coastline, stopping to look out and enjoy the view. I was speeding through turns and blasting nitro, and listening to excellent music (Travis McCoy's Superbad 11:34, in case you were curious.) I had a huge smile on my face, and I honestly can't remember the last time I was having so much fun with a game.

Go buy Hot Pursuit, and give this piece of trash a pass.
  34. Nov 23, 2013
    Racing games aren't exactly a complex genre, but any company that isn't even competent enough to properly implement a pause menu shouldn't be trying to make one.
  35. Nov 24, 2013
    FPS capped to 30. I won't even bother playing this piece of crap.
  36. Nov 25, 2013
    Yet another example of "paid shill reviews" with a ridiculous gaping chasm between 76% "professional" review vs 28% actual gamer reviews averaged over +200 scores (a dead giveaway). Out of all the genres which require consistently high FPS, racing games are right up there with "twitch" FPS. This game is hard-coded (locked) at 30fps and the "fix" to run at 60Hz is basically to speed everything up 2x so it ends up unplayable. It looks a joke. Almost like the devs are going out of their way to mock fans of the franchise. It really does redefine the word "pitiful". The last PC game I can remember being locked at 30fps was made in 1996...

Low FPS aside, you've also got surprisingly poor GFX filled with aliasing ("jaggies"), blurry textures, lengthy unskippable cut scenes (people actually want to PLAY racing games, not sit and watch some weak B-movie backstory). If this is "next gen", then I prefer "last gen" games which were actually fun to play. In years to come this game will be remembered for being the "new benchmark" in disastrous consolized PC ports.
  37. Nov 25, 2013
    Awful console port. The last Most Wanted was at least a little bit bearable, are they even trying anymore? Hopefully Assetto Corsa or Project Cars will save this genre.
  38. Nov 19, 2013
    This installment of Need for Speed is exactly what you are looking for if you are a fan of the franchise. It stays true and consistent with its dynamic gameplay seen in preceding NFS games while delivering a surprisingly interesting backstory of racers and cops. If you enjoyed Most Wanted (by Criterion), this game is a worthy successor and definitely a must for fans of racing games.
  39. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is a blast to play. Fun game for fans of the franchise and arcade racing fans in general. I feel like this game is what Most Wanted should have been. Handling has improved, more customization options than ever before, and the multiplayer (which, is basically the whole game considering you're always connected to other people) is innovative and fun. Being able to race other players with the press of a single button is awesome, and the presence of player cops will always keep you on your toes (haven't tried the cop career yet, though I imagine it's a blast taking everyone's speed points).

Only negative is the game isn't amazingly optimized for the PC. I have a few hiccups while running it (though, for comparison, I have none at all while running Battlefield 4).

This game was a great buy with the $10 off code from McDonald's for Origin. There is plenty of content and replay value to be worth $40 over and over again.
  40. Nov 23, 2013
    Beautiful graphics, boring gameplay...

FPS CAPPED TO 30 on PC...

Just don't buy this game as it is not worth it. A typical console port blablablabla....
  41. Nov 26, 2013
    DO NOT BUY! definetley not the pc version. Despite the fact that the game is capped at 30fps (you can unlock it with command parameters) the UI is trash made only to be operated on the gamepad and the most important thing is that the game is broken, same way battlefield 4 was (kind of still is), the frostbite 3 is broken in its current state, so expect constant crashes nothing else from this game.
  42. Nov 23, 2013
    30 fps lock year 2013? And how hard would it be to fix so we could use a fu**ing mouse in the game. I'm sick of EA treating PC-players like crap.

Do not buy this game!
  43. Nov 23, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME INTENTIONALLY INSERTED DUNG INTO THIS PC PORT. No Mouse support for menus, No AA. I can live with those draw backs BUT Artificial 30 frames per second cap just RUINS the game completely. This game should be rated minus 10 as PC gamers have been robbed. EA should of put a warning sticker on the game "EA INTENTS TO SHAFT YOU OVER" So people can make informed decision before buying.
    I though limiting to 30 FPS would be a stupid business decision.
  44. Nov 24, 2013
    Another fail from EA...dont buy their games.
    **** graphics, i cant believe that this is frostbyte 3
    **** control and car physics

Only one good thing in this game soundtrack.
  45. Nov 25, 2013
    You CANNOT PAUSE the game. while playing SINGLE PLAYER. So all you need to do is tell all your friends not to call you, your bladder not to work, etc. We are talking about 20-30+ minute long pursuits here, people.

You could pause games on the NES 28 years ago. Again: in the single player campaign all the simulation happens locally on your machine, so it could be suspended easily.
  46. Nov 29, 2013
    I have a sad news for every fans of NFS series.

As of 2013, gaming technology is still not yet advanced enough. Therefore, there is neither game pause nor race restart available in this game.

We have to wait with patience in the hope that a game with such functions DOES exist in future.

But wait, do such functions exist in the previous installment?
  47. Nov 30, 2013
    I have no idea what EA were thinking making this game. Fixed 30 fps and no joy-pad (apart from Xbox controller) or wheel support is enough to say that the game gets disqualified for me. There are much more negatives, but these two are enough to say a big NO! There are better racing games to waste my time with.
  48. Nov 24, 2013
    Oh no. How can the best game of racing in human history be associated with such a low mark?! It seems a lot of people here can not interpret how fantastic of EA's game design is. I will give you some insights here.

FPS capped at 30? Because this great game has such an amazing graphic quality such that FPS at 30 can already fully demonstrate its effect, so why bother with higher FPS,
    wasting the resource utilization of gamer's rig?

No support of game wheel? EA team has provided you a perfect use of keyboard and mouse to achieve the best result of game experience. How can such innovative invention be disrupted by a game wheel, which ruins game play experience?

No pause menu or race restart? Come on, this is an intensive and innovative racing game introduced to you, enjoy the show until the end. Otherwise, player's involvement will be completely ruined.

Overall, this game already surpass the Underground series, Most Wanted series. It is now the best NFS, and even the best racing game. And it will be the best in future. EPIC! Everyone, enjoy the fun and praise the game now!
  49. Nov 23, 2013
    A racing game which doesn't support a gaming wheel.. Who's the GENIUS at EA who came up with this?

There are way way too many pursuits by the cops, which takes a whole lot of time to get rid of.
    1 pursuit took me 30 minutes, and then I got wrecked and lost it all. 30 minutes wasted.
    You should have made "hiding spots" or at least limit the time at which the cops are chasing you.

Gave it a 2 just because you brought "upgrades" to the game. And even that isn't the same.

When will you listen to the people who pay you? NFS: Underground 3!
  50. Nov 22, 2013
    I though limiting to 30 FPS would be a stupid business decision.

Any business of course wouldn't do that. Silly me £35 straight into the toilet
  51. Nov 23, 2013
    The game does not support steering wheel and pedals! I'm in indescribable confusion. Play the keyboard or gamepad when i have gaming chair and steering wheel, it is beyond my understanding. Mouse in the menu and on the map also does not work No dithering and can not be included, my eyes of the blood Multiplayer dull. Graphics middle, I think because it limited the console On restriction of 30 frames per second for many who have written I will not repeat .
    Not highly recommend this game to the PC version very curve of the port from consoles.
    Sorry for bad english.
  52. Nov 23, 2013
    30fps for PC is a joke, 30fps for PC is a joke, 30fps for PC is a joke, 30fps for PC is a joke, 30fps for PC is a joke, 30fps for PC is a joke, 30fps for PC is a joke
  53. Nov 24, 2013
    I saw someone list this, and it appears to work, so you can try this and see if it runs at 60fps while playing at a normal speed. -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0
  54. Nov 27, 2013
    30 FPS LOLOLOL FIX GAME PLS
    This is that big game companies ACTUALY gets to do this and earn a lot of cash doing it! It makes okay sense with frame locks and simple options on console, but this is just sad.
  55. Dec 11, 2013
    The 30 fps cap problem is one of the least problem I think. Worst problem with this game is the game does not pause at all.....when "esc" is pressed, the game still runs.....Worst...u cannot restart any race from the beginning...that means if you make mistake u have to race the entire track....Weapons were great addition in 2010 "Hot Pursuit" but in this game, weapons controls are ****

The Frostbite 3 engine used in this game is total waste as the graphics are nowhere near Battlefield 4, though the genre of both of this game is totally different.
  56. Nov 19, 2013
    I usually don't write a review on first day, but I am surprised that it get so much extra low reviews. I won't talk about fanboys or Ea writing 10/10 review.

As for me, I have spent 4 hours on the game and I love it. To get to go from a single player to a multiplayer perspective is awesome. I am sure things will only get better.

I agree that a 30 fps cap is and I can't find a way
    to adjust the view expept for two generic choices. It is bad for me because I use 3 monitors and the view is too close to the car.

But this are minor problems and the game is just fun, so I think it deserve an 8
  57. Nov 19, 2013
    One of the best NFS release after the most wanted 2005 version. Playing everything on ultra with my hd 7870 :D looks beautiful. No bugs and smooth gameplay :P
  58. Nov 23, 2013
    30 fps capped of laziness. The game is basically the countryside version of the previous one. Graphics are OK and it's just it. Game modes are boring, and the fact there are no tracks makes it even worst.
  59. Nov 29, 2013
    The pc version is totally busted...pop up textures, lack of AA, crappy 30 fps lock, slowdowns...basically another epic failure. can't say i'm surprised.
  60. Dec 5, 2013
    EA did it again!
    First, they cut out the gamepad support for the Mass Effect series for the PC.
    Now, they cap a high-speed racing game at 30 fps!

I'm done with EA!
    Total disregard for PC gamers!!!
  61. Dec 7, 2013
    Another horrible need for speed game. same as last year. why they doing like that? what their problem? if you will make need for speed game like this again then DONT DO IT. DOOOONNNTT DOO IITTT.
  62. Nov 19, 2013
    I've been playing the NFS series since the very first came out in the mid 90s. I've seen the good and the bad, and Need For Speed Rivals is one of the best games in the series yet. Yes, the PC version is currently capped at 30 fps, but if you can look past that, you've got a very fun and intense arcade racer here. For those of you wondering, the cars no longer have that overly-heavy handling like in Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012), and drifting is still the name of the game. Even though this is primarily a multiplayer game, when you play against the AI, it can put up a good fight and through some curve balls at you. Also, the different areas of the game world are clearly inspired by previous games in the NFS series, going all the way back to NFS3. Very nostalgic and fun! The NFS series is back on track again! Expand
  63. Nov 19, 2013
    I give a 9 for the game. I have played through every NFS game and this one is among the good ones. Controls are more responsive than NFS MW2012, and cars feels more live. Gameplay showed some innovations, and the all drive system showed its power connecting me and my fellows. It's certainly not perfect, because of some minor issues such as gamepad control not changeable, 30fps lock, some disconnections, etc. Customization is not as advertised, relatively shallow and lack of real customization. I am not saying body kits, but the decals are as is, not customizable, and feels not pretty at all. But all in all a legit game, well worth the 50 dollars price. Expand
  64. Nov 23, 2013
    Great game.

Play it on a console if you can, because it's capped at 30 fps. In my opinion, that's the only thing holding it back from being the best PC racing game to come out in years. Gameplay is incredibly addictive, story is okay and could be better, cops are aggressively fun, cars rule.
  65. Nov 23, 2013
    Okay, the game is capped at 30fps. So what? On top settings, low settings, I cannot see how it would be better at 60fps. Its fast, responsive, looks amazing, and is one of the most satisfying racing games I have ever played.
    My only gripe is that there are only 6 human people on a map at a time.
    The game is NOT broken. It is being broken by people trying to run the game at 60fps.
  66. Nov 20, 2013
    What the hell is it with these ridiculous 0 scores? I will put my name on the line, for what it's worth, to defend this game, because this game is easily the best NFS title since Most Wanted 2005, and it is being unfairly criticized because of some minor issues that a handful of people are experiencing. I am running the game on a gtx 580 with the latest nvidia drivers (331.85) and I have had almost no graphical issues whatsoever. The graphics are EXCELLENT, this is the first title on PC that deserves the next-gen qualification. Every single little facet of the game is a TOTAL improvement over previous titles whose foundations this game is built on. It takes features from Most Wanted 2012 and Hot Pursuit and the Run which felt good in theory but embarassingly piss poor in execution, and gives them the proper treatment they always deserved. The handling and the sound and the environments, which were all generic and not varied enough, and to the point where it felt the developer was treating the audience like a bunch of 10 year old kids, have all been given the proper thought and care for detail that is the most basic requirement for a game to be immersive and thereby great. All the features, from the trinity mission structure, to the scoring and resource system, to the balance of vehicular combat and open-world online play integration, EVERYTHING has been thoroughly thought out, tested and executed flawlessly. This marks the return of the series to form and relevance, the first time since its highs in 2005, and I can honestly say this game will keep me very satisfied until the anticipated next title in this lineage. TL;DR: Objectively, inarguably, the BEST, most FUN, most FLUID and ADDICTIVE NFS title since the days of Underground and Most Wanted. If you have even the remotest desire to relive those experience, but this game now. It is hands down the most professionally crafted game on PC since Arkham City and Skyrim. Expand
  67. Dec 18, 2013
    Fun game, unless you want the multiplayer experience they think exists. AllDrive is a useless feature in a "world" that features only 6 other real drivers (which might be great for console).. which you would think would mean no lag, but with no server choice, you just get player cars that teleport everywhere. The game might as well be offline and single player. Playing with friends is ok, but not when you're up against jerky opponents who can go into a hideout with cops all over them, or just benefit from a random server migration.

That on top of all the other issues... It's another good concept that has be killed by EA's laziness.
  68. Nov 26, 2013
    F***ing spamers a 0? c'mon it's the game pitch black?
    cap at 30fps at least you can play it most of people who have not high ended GPUs runs this at 15 OR 10 FPS.
    I have an HD card but min setting says that you can run this with 512MB? what is this? 2004? at least don't lie.. people with 4k graphics cards are mad because they can run this at 240fps.. NFS fan since 1994.. guess the 0's
    are from.. that's all I hope they fix it with a patch Expand
  69. Nov 20, 2013
    First of all, the FPS being capped at 30 is bad, but saying that the game is absolutely awful because of that is silly, and I bet that the game wouldn't be getting half as many rants if people didn't know it was locked. I'm not saying people can't tell 30 from 60, but I am saying the game looks awesome at 30 and the difference between locked 30 and unlocked [most likely less than 60] does not make the score drop from 7-9 down to 0.

The unskippable cut scenes that everyone are referring to are in the first few minutes of the game.. after the first 10-15 minutes you can skip cut scenes to your hearts content. In other words, people who have been citing that as a reason for low scores has played 10 minutes or less before ranting here.

I like this game.. it's a good arcade racer. The scenery is beautiful and varied ranging from coastal areas to snowy mountains and deserts. The handling is awesome and it really feels like you're going fast. Music is still a downside for me and I would love to see some sort of user-created playlists or support for your own mp3s.
  70. Dec 7, 2013
    No wonder how everybody hate this title so much,
    FPS locked at 30, completely unoptimized PC Version ,Not able to pause the game when offline (witch brings me to frustration all the time)

though the game features some pretty fun gameplay all the cons mentioned above are gamebreaking!
  71. Nov 25, 2013
    I believe there may be a good game hidden somewhere inside, but it's hidden by all the BS:
    30 FPS, in theory should be enough for the human eye, but in practice it is not, especially if you have a normal "work & game" PC setup and are sitting close to the monitor. It's Headache time gents.

Next comes the tutorial. An unskippable tutorial with unskippable cutscenes that tell me things a
    five yeat old could have figured out by himself. Except for the Keyboard controls, of course, "Page up"?? Are you f**ing kidding me? Btw. in the tutorial videos it is constantly referred to as "the button". I don't know if I should call that cheap or annoying. Probably both.

Anyway, back to the game. Car handling feels good, except for the fact that the tires where apparently stolen off of a Prius or something. If I wanted crazy drifing I would play Dirt or something.

So lets head to the garage and install better tires. Oh I can't, i can only buy a "handling" upgrade. Seriously? This may sound nitpickingish, but why for heavens sake can't I buy new tires or a new engine? I could do that in Street Rod I, 25 years ago! But apparently the guys at EA want do destroy the immersion as much as possible. To drive the point home they also included EMP weapons and more such nonsene as well as ridiculous amounts of nitrio.

One thing they chose to give more realism is car strength. So the police can get you really quickly, especially with the help of all the crazy toys. I guess this makes sense, given the multiplayer nature of the game, but being a single player fan myself I find it rather annoying.

Well I guess I'll leave it here: Rivals is not a bad game, but it does nothing new and some things rather badly so I don't see a reason you should pay full price for it. Wait a bit or just stick with any NFS game you already enjoy.
  72. Dec 2, 2013
    NFS Rivals Breaks the rules of stereotype driving arcade games.
    The game presents an any of new cars with reasonably good handling. All cars ar fully customizable from performance hardware to outlooks. The races are good and enjoyable, added with a new feature of instant head-to-head challenge mode, that allows you to randomly challenge any passer-by racer. The game puts an end to the
    old lobby based multiplayer system allowing the players to challenge each other in a head-to-head battle or group race directly by spotting each-other in-game. The game takes alot from its ancestors: Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012) by clubbing up the best of both games. What still lacks is the presence of a strong story, which just like its predecessors it lacks to copme up with. One last and very important thing Being capped on 30 FPS is just a NOOB's excuse to dislike such a marvellous game, because any simulation below 24 FPS is considered jerky or laggy above 24 fps, the smoothness just rises. So please think logically before offending unreasonably. Thank You Expand
  73. Dec 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, I have played/ collected every NFS game ever since the first NFS in 1996. Aside from NFS Undercover, this game is one of the worst I've played in the series. The FPS is locked at 30 so dense areas slow-down the game, no AA, and no other controller support, making this a very bad PC port. The cut scenes are annoying and cannot skip them.

Graphics: Let me get this clear, I do not like the Frostbite engine! It looks great in certain environments, but it doesn't work well with racing games and has many glitches as seen from NFS: The Run and is still present Rivals. NFS: Hot Pursuit and NFS: Most Wanted's engine was much better looking and ran better for a racing game.

The soundtrack is bland, the gameplay is ok, but the map is very boring after awhile which is my next issue: The map. The map (Redview County) in this game is extremely disappointing compared to Fairhaven (Most Wanted) and Seacrest County (Hot Pursuit) from the last 2 NFS titles. EA kept praising that the Redview County map in Rivals was to be a similar and better experience to what was in Hot Pursuit's Seacrest County. Let me tell ya, it is not! Except for driving down Interstate 4, Sun Valley Run, and the town on the coast (I think it's Gullwing Beach) the Redview County map is BORING and lifeless. Nothing but woods, desert, and rock cliffs, and no gimmicks or landmarks that gives a "believable" and lively world to drive in. There are no "places" to see in the map compared to Seacrest County that had many landmarks, gimmicks, and eye-popping sights on any road in the game. Seacrest County also was a MUCH LARGER map that made every road an exciting variety. Many of the road paths/ mappings in Redview County doesn't make any sense (T-junctions everywhere and loops back to the same roads!). Overall the map is too dark/ bland and lifeless and not as bright and eye-popping as the last few NFS titles.

The cars: The car variety and list is very limited compared to HP or even last year's MW. The Ferrari license is great, but mad it was wasted on this game. The cop cars are nice, but there is very little overlap on the car lists between cops and racers. I don't care for customization as for these cars look amazing as is so anyone's opinion on the customization options.

The gameplay: 6 players in the open world is useless. The online experience is only as good as the players that are thrown into your session. It just seems very cheaply done. Some of the players will either help your career or actually hurt your progress (Which can be frustrating) and is not how a game should play. I don't like having constant online connections (The single player option is not what they describe it to be, you still need to be online). I miss my online lobbies and menus to set-up races and events (Like in HP 2010), it was a better structure to play with friends and this game's career progression lacks structure where your thrown into an open world with painfully easy objectives that repeat over-and-over again without any variables in the events (Such as certain cops chasing you, choice of cars, etc.). Everything just gets really old quickly. Also, why can't I pause my single player game?! Don't get me started with how many times I have lost my speed points because of that.

Overall, this game was really disappointing in many ways. The graphics are "ok", the map is smaller, not well-designed, and unexciting compared to HP and MW's maps. The car list is disappointing with the exception of the Ferraris. The gameplay is repetitive and boring with no new gimmicks.

I was so disappointed with Rivals I actually bought NFS Hot Pursuit (2010) for my PC and that game looks better, runs better, and having way more fun with that than Rivals! If your new to NFS, this maybe a fun game for you, but stay away from the PC version. If your an NFS fan that played the last 3-4 years of NFS games, you will be disappointed like I was. Go pick-up Hot Pursuit (2010) instead, Seacrest County is way more exciting and a better online experience.

My Score is a 3 (2 points for the Ferrari License, and 1 point for having cops).
  74. Dec 6, 2013
    Do not like the game! Neither the plot nor of any start at all! If only half an hour to sit idly chase and more from this game is nothing to wait for! Price her 200r NOT BUY
  75. Dec 23, 2013
    I cannot rate it 0 because the game's not ultimately bad but it's not good either. Well, there are actually some good things about the game (obviously not much) but overall the game is like an insincere product produced by Ghost.

The game actually do have story and characters (yes the dump cut-scenes that I could not skip even I wish to). It's about a racer name Zenphyr (not sure if the
    spelling is correct) having reckless driving activity and a cop who wish to bust the racer. I think the story is actually a main concept of the game (if not why name the game "Rivals"?), but the story is executed badly. It's just like some story background you see in NFS14 and there's nothing strong related to both sides. I can't feel the "Rivals" in the game.

Talking about the gameplay, it really annoys me sometimes. When I was racing and I want to answer the phone or go to the toilet, the game simply can't. It only opens a map when you click Esc and it's really inconvenient when you cannot pause the game. There're numerous bugs in the game like you automatically crash for the second time without reasons after you crashed once. Also, when you're in a pursuit, if you think you earn enough, you can simply drive to a safehouse and bank it even you have not escaped (I wonder if it's a bug or the game setting). There're also some stupid problems like when you successfully escape a pursuit and you drive a bit slower, the cops will be back with a really high speed. Seriously?

The cars are probably the best thing about the game. The reappearance of Ferrari is actually good. There're more new cars which I could try. Unfortunately, the bad thing is that I simply cannot drive all the cars. There're some cars that I would like to drive but unfortunately they're on the other side so I cannot use them in the side I want to play, which I hate. Not only that, I don't understand why the cars know how to sweat. You can simply just see water droplets on your car in a sunny day. What?

The control is the worst nightmare for me in the game. The feel is like you want the car to drift when you brake but it do not. The car drifts when you don't want to. I rather want a easy-drift control like NFS14 or unrealistic-cornering like NFS9, but not the NFS16 style.

The map is simply just boring. It's just like importing NFS14 into the game with the roads changed. Meanwhile the graphics are not spectacular. Graphics are not a main problem for me but I find graphics in NFS14 more appealing. The only good thing I can think of about the map is that there are new weather changes.

If I have to find the worst thing of the game, it will be the concept of the game. It's basically nothing new when compared to NFS14. Same map structure, Cops and racers, Sports cars and exotic cars...... The idea is almost the same. The main difference should be speedpoints, which I could simply ram into a safehouse and bank it during pursuit. Speedpoints are nowhere near pink slips in NFS4, so don't compare both two.

Again, as a NFS fanboy since NFS2, I'm not saying this game is rubbish. It still has some excitement I can get from NFS14 when I was driving in highway with an Aventador. However, if this game is supposed to be a better version of NFS14, I would say EA have failed. Don't tell me this game is going back to the roots of NFS because the older NFS (NFS2-6) are still memorable to me and I still feel excitement when I look at some videos in Youtube, but definitely not this game.
  76. Dec 30, 2013
    No Steering wheel support is the clincher for me. You can't seriously enjoy a driving game with out a wheel IMO. The new PS4 controller feels a bit sluggish to me. A good race car should have tight, precise steering. But the controller seems to float a bit like a boat with some cars.
    I have played through both story lines and think NFS:R could be an awesome game were it not for the No
    Wheel Support issue.
    The graphics and cars are great with minimal lag issues. Physics are totally arcade but many people like that. It is quicker to drift a tight hairpin at 220 kph than to brake and corner like a simulator. Unrealistic but fun all the same.
    You will finish the story and even unlock the Platinum trophy pretty quickly. The real fun is PVP taking down other Players, especially hunting in a pack with friends. Although you will search a bit as there are only 6 people allowed per session, but you can quick travel to any event/base once you have located your prey on the world map.
    I would give this game an 7 if there was Wheel support, so until then it gets a 5.
  77. Dec 5, 2013
    First of all, I`ve been a big fan n expert racer on all good nfs games. I couldn`t bear comments from some ugly fan guys giving this game high rating. One of them says it`s similar to MOST WANTED 2012. I would say this does`t even touch foot of MW-2012. or HOT PURSUIT 2010 or BURNOUT PARADISE U Box. I realize that i did a little injustice by giving 4 but as it does n`t come under the flag of worth playing then i guess it does n`t matter. I was annoyed when i tried to change settings during a race and it din`t pass my race and by the time i was done with settings, i wan`t at point where i left it. huh, lost it. I anxiously waited but got desperately disappointed. Expand
  78. Jan 1, 2014
    quite possibly the worst console port yet, the game is a complete disaster on PC, the game locked at 30fps and you cannot change it or the game becomes unplayable, For a AAA title i expect more, this is why EA will remain the worst company in the world and i will never purchase another EA title, and they wonder why piracy is so rampant, its this that makes people pirate your games, so save your money and avoid this game at all cost!!! Expand
  79. Nov 21, 2013
    Amazing graphics and very easy to use interface. No sluggishness. The game looks and feels awesome. The roads are made somehow so that my car crashes very less times.

Although cars fly sometimes that looks amusing. 10/10. Love it.
  80. Dec 1, 2013
    Adrenaline fast arcade racing game to be compared only with Burnout Paradise and Split/Second. Or NFS Most Wanted 2005. NFS Rivals DO NOT HAVE: [–] technical problems (v1.1.0) [–] bad or unoptimized graphics (GTX 670, 1080p on Ultra no lags) [–] bad UI or annoying cut-scenes like in Most Wanted 2012 [+] destructible environment (it's not needed thou) [+] cities and vast open world

NFS Rivals DO have:
    [–] pretty long tutorial (something like 15 minutes) with unskippable intro cut-scene
    [+] no need for mouse
    [+] challenging gameplay (no "press X to win", but also not really hard)

Game is adrenaline fast: very high speed, limited non-regenerating HP, most time in pursuit by cops, open world with no finish lines (there are ones, but they do not end pursuits), gambling scores (higher heat level higher money income and more cops; BUT you get money only if you manage to get to one of your garages otherwise you get NOTHING) and NO PAUSE (at all!! you can't open map and look for best root, you can't stop and relax a little, you can only drive forward hoping to get to garage or gas station before your HP gets to zero). It's the core of this game.

Concerning other details (as they are not really important)... Mid-sized open world with dynamic daytime and vast variations of zones (plains, canyons, dense forests with narrow roads, snowy mountains, wide highway etc). Zones are pretty short so they're changing very rapidly. Roads are no straight even of highways and traffic present too, but can't say it's too hard driving. As for races they are hard enough: you can lightly get 1st on easy race, but on medium and hard it will be challenging enough: to get 1st the first time you ride particular route is very fortunate.

What else?.. Tuning is simple: you buy cars and weapons (emp, shockwave, turbo, jamming etc), standard upgrades (acceleration, top speed etc) plus customization for each one. Car are not numerous (it's a plus!) and different enough. Career progression (you choose tasks among "races", "pursuits" and "freeride") and EXPing are really nice. To be short just enough for arcade racing game.

And last, but not least: cop career is also fun and with different gameplay.
  81. Dec 26, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THE GAME!!!

The game is totally broken for PC!!!
    And here are the reasons for you to not buy the game!!!
    -30 fps lock
    -Everything are connected to some network
    -You get points when winning races etc. and then, when you have a lot of points, that are painstakingly acquired, YOU LOSE THEM WHEN YOU CRASH OR GET BUSTED
    -Buggy as
  82. Jan 1, 2014
    My eyes started bleeding when i saw that 30cap... Thats it, last game from nfs series i'll ever buy!!
    It has good graphics but that handling arghhh! I'm def gonna buy a ps3 and stick to GT series or Codemasters games.
  83. Jan 17, 2014
    I am forced to watch tutorials, I played it for like 20 minutes, and I will still forced to watch tutorials. I could not skip them. This is a sin again gaming, like telling someone they cannot fast forward a movie. You MUST watch it. Also I have an outstanding gaming rig and this looked slow. I just read here it is locked to 30fps. Avoid. PS Never trust reviews other than from Users. These websites are paid. Expand
  84. Dec 4, 2013
    If PC gamers ever want to shake their stereotype as wealthy spoiled brats, they need to stop posting poorly written, whiny reviews.

If you read the hordes of trolling reviews (not recommended), you'll see almost every last one of them mentions the same two things and do not talk about the gameplay, story, multiplayer, or even graphics at all. If you are the kind of person that can make
    a decision based SOLELY on an FPS cap and unskippable cut-scenes, then you don't want this game, stop reading here.

For the 5 of you still reading, Need for Speed Rivals is basically Hot Pursuit 4 it draws as much as possible from the 2010 game while thankfully avoiding last year's disaster. This means that like the 2010 title, it's all fun and no substance. Most of the same types of events are here race, interceptor, hot pursuit, etc.

However, the focus of Rivals isn't what's the same, but rather what's different. The mere presence of cut-scenes MUST mean there's a story, right? Well... no. There is no story. There are no characters, no rival gangs, no crooked cops, and none of the awesome story from Most Wanted (2005) or Carbon. Just a narrator giving background information about a feud between cops and racers that is never seen in game.

The funny thing about this game is it has no multiplayer. It also has no singleplayer. When you start a game while on the internet, you are connected to a room with up to 5 other people. While you are progressing as a cop or racer, so are the other players as well as AI cops and racers. Basically, every player in the room is playing a 1 player game at the same time. If player 3 starts a race, that race also exists for the other players any cop, human or AI can bust not only player 3, but also their opponents. Your race checkpoints might take you right though another racer's interceptor, and you might wind up helping or hindering other players and vice-versa. I have personally shutdown every racer in a hot pursuit event without actually busting any of them myself, because another player and two AI cops got them all for me. Also, I once crashed head on into a racer during a rapid response while they were in an interceptor. The crash both wrecked me and busted him, costing both our events.

This concept is awesome, and it works quite well. But it has two main flaws first, AI are not allowed to repair. If you're chasing a group of racers or being chased by a group of cops, there is little reason to bust/wreck anyone but the human first, as they are the only ones that can refill their health and items. Most Need for Speed titles let the AI do things players cannot (*cough*rubberbanding*cough*) but this title does the reverse. The other flaw is that in each 'room', one player is the 'host'. When that player quits, the room is reset and any objectives you completed must be done again. UGH.

Overall, Need for Speed Rivals is a very fun game, but it's not too deep. You will be entertained, but don't expect longevity from this title.
  85. Dec 2, 2013
    I love this... look at all the zero scores saying all the ten scores are fake, and yet just as many zero scores are one login, one review people (simply signing up to sl@g EA off) In a nutshell... EVERY version of this game is 30FPS next gen consoles included not ideal but hardly the woeful game-breaking issue everyone is crying about.. Graphics are lovely, controls are arcadey as ever it's basically a revamped Hot Pursuit (the one before the horrible Most Wanted and The Run) no bad thing at all...

It is what it is fun, glossy, disposable a perfect little arcade racer to get you through the festive season... just don't expect it to last much longer after that!
  86. Dec 29, 2013
    There are two statements I want to consider. First, is that my score is the only reason to up vote my review. Second, is that arguing with me and down voting my review will only make me LMAO. Clicking "No" will give me pleasure. Clicking "Yes" will simply mean that you agree with a score. Make a right choice from now
  87. Dec 28, 2013
    I created an account just to write a review for this game. It is that bad, but not from a "fun" standpoint. Getting into the game is fun, the world is decently sized and there's enough mayhem to be had. However, the implementation on PC is very buggy. Not only do you get a lack of options as many reviews have pointed out, you get a game that somehow breaks DirectX, causes shutdowns, "Not enough RAM" crashes, etc. I've crashed on average once an hour.

The kicker is the frame rate, but NOT how everyone is complaining about it. The game locks the speed of the game to the frame rate. This causes silly issues if you want a higher framerate. However, IF YOU DROP BELOW 30FPS YOU SLOW DOWN, BUT THE CLOCK DOES NOT! I'm playing on a 650M OC'ed, with 2GB's video RAM, 8GB general RAM, and an i7 Ivy Bridge Quad mobile processor, and the game falls below 30fps on minimum options. It's ridiculous.

In addition, the P2P online play is buggy even directly connections across fast fiber have opponents bouncing around and in different places depending on the player.

Other quibbles: unskippable, obscenely self-important cutscenes. Ridiculous menu design that has you scrolling for days, panning across maps with the arrow keys (no mouse) with no zoom. No organization in "easy drive" menus.

Crazy rubber banding and AI design sometimes the racers turbo away at 200+ mph when you have a car that drivers 140, and other times you literally have the ENTIRE pack of racers in a hot pursuit stop and wait for you to catch up (they don't even speed up as you approach, you can ram them at full speed...).

Ridiculous physics problems I've been stuck in a rock and had to restart.

Known bugs such as "not having the correct number of cars in a hot pursuit, leading to automatic failure of event," with official solution by EA being "restart the even until the correct number of cars appears."

Another fun one if you miss a jump in a pursuit, the game respawns cars back on the side you jumped from at 0mph, but the AI keeps trying (in vain of course, see 0mph issue) and eventually the game spawns the computer car on the other side. Never for you though! Insane!

And then there are faulty helicopters that drop spikes on police, EMPs and other weapons that just decide to fail for no reason, roadblock cars that MOVE INTO THE WAY OF POLICE, roadblocks that don't have any cars...

I usually don't do all caps: this is an exception.
    Good concept, terrible PC implementation.
  88. Jan 18, 2014
    Don't believe all the reviews,They are paid dicks out there,know nothing of NFS,nor racing or they are console whores..Look,this is the stage of describing this game.This is an utter mess,dunno whose idea was this,but EA intentions are clear,TO DROWN THIS FRANCHISE !
    Where can I start with the cons;
    1.No creativity whatsoever,a poorly designed map that tries its best to inforce false
    Openworld.
    2.New Gen ....My ass,Creating a game with nothing special,No PAUSE MENU,What does that mean!Are we no supposed to have a break!So stupid,Only to find that after a while your'e busted with reset speedpoints.The gameplay is horrible trash,I fell so good after finishing that game.
    3.Cars list!Its **** up!Only 24 cars in racer and another 20 in cop..Appreciate the new inclusion of new latest cars and Ferrari,But that's the only good thing I can think..Leave that Customization,It's nothing good..A few gadgets are good and few tech....But nothing like Create YOUR OWN PERSONAL CAR!
    4.Flaws and bugs:As reported,its a 30fps **** on high end PC it does not run without stuttering
    (GTX 680)..It is supposed to be a racing game that does not Support GAMEPADS or WHELLS!WE are compelled to play with Keyboard that too with semi-customisable controls..*&^*&^ you!!!

VERDICT: People trying to sell this game are SMART WHORES! Denting your Pockets.....C'mon seriously its not even worth more than 1/1000000000.......of its price!
  89. rqr
    Jan 18, 2014
    This game is a complete disaster, does not even have a hood camera, and the 30 fps BUG..., Ghost Games should try harder next time, I can hardly believe that the "Pro" critics are honest.
  90. Feb 24, 2014
    It boggles the mind how designers thought that teh state of the game was acceptable. Racing games are trigger games with a need for quick reactions, so why a developer though a 30 fps cap was a good idea is insane. The Multiplayer feels forced and honestly should not be the focus. EA seems to be trying to make everything mutliplayer. Not being able to Pause is a HUGE problem, I cannot tell you how many times Ive gone to pause only for my car to fly into a wall. I usually dont wish ill of any hard worker, but Ghost deserved the layoffs, if you don't know the number 1 rule of developing, "Make sure you main mechanic works", then you have failed and should not be allowed to continue developing in this industry. Expand
  91. Apr 25, 2014
    I felt compelled to write a review of this game to counter the many misleading opinions of other posters. Let me start off by saying that whatever technical issues the game had when it was first released seem to have been fixed now. It barely skips a beat on my system: X64 OS, i7 processor, 16 GB RAM and GTX570 graphics card. Other complaints are (now) equally unfounded as you CAN skip most of the annoying cutscenes and immature story (by pressing A on the controller or Enter on the keyboard) and Events CAN be restarted.

The writing is probably the biggest downside in an otherwise class act and the 'sexy' female instructor voice is getting a bit old. However, everything else -- from the slick menus to the environmental effects -- has obviously had considerable thought and effort applied to it. All of the little touches -- like the realistic accumulation of dirt on the vehicles -- clearly show how much pride Ghost Games has taken in their work.

The graphics and gameplay are where this title really shines, although it doesn’t look much on the 360. I didn't care for Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012) but this game is closer to Burnout Paradise (2009) than any other since and -- for me -- that's a huge plus. In fact, in many ways it actually improves on the original formula as you would expect. The learning curve is relatively steep but it's a highly intelligent and rewarding game for those willing to put the effort in. It doesn't all gel straight away. You have to play it a while to 'get it' and appreciate its nuances. I had mixed feelings in the first hour or so but now I have to stop myself playing to go to bed. That's the sign of a good game!
  92. May 7, 2014
    Moin , besser als Most Wanted 2013 ! aber leider 30 FPS Lock , ansonsten ein gutes und grundsolides spiel wie ich finde .

Jedoch haette ich mir mehr Grafikeinstellungen gewuenscht , will nich sagen das sie schlecht ist die Optik , aber besser geht immer .
  93. Apr 7, 2014
    Yes you have to do a little tweaking to make the game actually work decently but it can work in the end.
    Just add -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0 to put it in 60 fps (but you need a really high end PC).
    If you have a monster of a PC, you can even add " -Render.ResolutionScale 2.0" to render in 4k and downscale to full hd.
    You can even remap gamepad button by editing
    Ghost GamesNeed for Speed(TM) RivalssettingsPROFILEOPTIONS_profile under your my documents folder.

What bothers me though is that the driving is awkward. Sometimes the car just won't turn, like if it were on a railroad. Though not completely frustrating, it gives way less pleasure then driving in NFS Hot pursuit.

It's a pity because the game is otherwise enjoyable and has stunning graphics.
    Decent purchase for less then 30$/€ but if you don't have NFS Hot pursuit (2010) I'd suggest you buy it instead.
  94. Mar 21, 2014
    First, dont buy it, is a very bad port!
    Second, how can I buy a racing game that dont have 2 players split screen? I have to buy 2 consoles and 2 games to play with my brother?

Is that it? REALLY? These developers, they've been much better, long time ago.

Today we live on a very ironic time, you can use 4 joysticks, but even a racing game allows play with 2.

EA GO HOME, YOU ARE DRUNK.
  95. c3p
    Jan 22, 2014
    It would be nice if you could pause when you are only playing with bots.
    FPS is not that bad, but it is worth 1 point in my opinion.
    What i dislike most is that the map is pretty useless, i would like to zoom it out much further.
  96. Jan 16, 2014
    3.0 ... This is what happens when you let the 12 year old **** review stuff in here. Havent played much NFS for a few years, but after watching CGR's review on this game I decided to buy it and ...It's fun. Beautiful graphics, great cars, cop chases, online all the time, instant challenges.. **** look at the water drops on the cars **** AMAZING. All those 11 year old internet warriors who think they know how games should be made should go lock em in a room and ****ing jerkoff or whatever the **** they do whole day. This game is fun.
    /thread
  97. Feb 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. more like need for better programmers and creative game writers, what happened to those need for speed games that u could do some drag races and drifting or building your car instead of a **** 3 hours game play and u use jus "fancy cars". this game has no **** wheel options i have a g27 wheel set.
    whats the point of having open world but no wheel support that u cant cruise around? there is no story in the game u jus race 4 or 5 times and a minute of some retard talking and tellin that cops are getting madder and **** like that come man mobile racing games do bettter job than you guys.
    graphics somewhat good but ur locked to 30fps and and their explanation is that people doesn't have fast computers? they did the same **** for fifa 14, by using older engine. if people dont have fast computers they can lower the settings and still can enjoy the high fps smoothness not 30 fps bull****.
    fifa 14 runs at 130 fps on my laptop it has gt650m gpu like thats pretty much lowest u can get it i7 3630qm processor so people dont have slow computers u guys have slow programmers and minds.

i have been buyin nfs series each time hoping that they did good job but no last 4 games were garbage i wont buy again doesnt even worth to pirate this game
  98. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love the new weather system, especially when raining and single player mode not the best but cop career is more fun then racer. If technical issues are fixed then it will be great.
    Personally I liked most wanted 2012 more because of finding cars instead getting them by rank.
  99. Nov 28, 2013
    Amazing Gameplay,Graphics,and all you'd expect from a racing game. though it lacks of gameplay (only 4 available) and such a big pack of bugs came with this game. Fps lock to 30, Vehicle Debris still messed up,etc. but the graphics amazing with the frostbite 3, the dynamic weathering system *nerdgasm*. but it still needs development, until then i'd give this game a 7
  100. Dec 15, 2013
    1) to play this game properly on pc you need a directx11 compatible GPU. 2) you need to install the directx update.exe 3) net framework for game most recent 4) and all the visual c++ 2005 to 2012(86) and the 2012(64) update When i first installed the game it looked very poor and the pop up was unbelievably terrible (unplayable) after installing what i needed from the above list, the game ran very well with no pop up and better graphics quality.

My system is an i7 2nd gen 16mb ram asus gtx560ti 433cores 1.28gpu (mediocre) directx 11 compatible. And the game runs very well.

The 30fps is an issue because it makes the game hard on the eyes and after playing grid2 the 30 fps rate was a deal breaker for me. It does detract from the enjoyment a lot.

A lot of the scores are unfair on this page, because I believe most of the problems people are getting with this game are because they have not set up their computer properly to play it.

1. Jan 31, 2014
    One good idea--the racer's scoring system--spoiled by a thuddingly dull cop campaign and dumb design decisions. [March 2014, p.68]
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    EA managed to end the bad run of Need for Speeds released in odd years. But even if it’s the best NFA in a long time, it could have been better. Rivals looks and plays really good but it could use a properly working multiplayer or a real single player mode. And if you remember Most Wanted, Rivals looks quite familiar. [01/2014, p.38]
  3. Dec 19, 2013
    A scintillating return to form that's all style...and no little substance. Blistering arcade racing. [Jan 2014, p.76]