3.2

1. Apr 25, 2014
    I felt compelled to write a review of this game to counter the many misleading opinions of other posters. Let me start off by saying that whatever technical issues the game had when it was first released seem to have been fixed now. It barely skips a beat on my system: X64 OS, i7 processor, 16 GB RAM and GTX570 graphics card. Other complaints are (now) equally unfounded as you CAN skipI felt compelled to write a review of this game to counter the many misleading opinions of other posters. Let me start off by saying that whatever technical issues the game had when it was first released seem to have been fixed now. It barely skips a beat on my system: X64 OS, i7 processor, 16 GB RAM and GTX570 graphics card. Other complaints are (now) equally unfounded as you CAN skip most of the annoying cutscenes and immature story (by pressing A on the controller or Enter on the keyboard) and Events CAN be restarted.

The writing is probably the biggest downside in an otherwise class act and the 'sexy' female instructor voice is getting a bit old. However, everything else -- from the slick menus to the environmental effects -- has obviously had considerable thought and effort applied to it. All of the little touches -- like the realistic accumulation of dirt on the vehicles -- clearly show how much pride Ghost Games has taken in their work.

The graphics and gameplay are where this title really shines, although it doesn’t look much on the 360. I didn't care for Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012) but this game is closer to Burnout Paradise (2009) than any other since and -- for me -- that's a huge plus. In fact, in many ways it actually improves on the original formula as you would expect. The learning curve is relatively steep but it's a highly intelligent and rewarding game for those willing to put the effort in. It doesn't all gel straight away. You have to play it a while to 'get it' and appreciate its nuances. I had mixed feelings in the first hour or so but now I have to stop myself playing to go to bed. That's the sign of a good game!
  2. Nov 23, 2013
    Okay, the game is capped at 30fps. So what? On top settings, low settings, I cannot see how it would be better at 60fps. Its fast, responsive, looks amazing, and is one of the most satisfying racing games I have ever played.
    My only gripe is that there are only 6 human people on a map at a time.
    The game is NOT broken. It is being broken by people trying to run the game at 60fps.
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    I usually don't write a review on first day, but I am surprised that it get so much extra low reviews. I won't talk about fanboys or Ea writing 10/10 review.

As for me, I have spent 4 hours on the game and I love it. To get to go from a single player to a multiplayer perspective is awesome. I am sure things will only get better. I agree that a 30 fps cap is and I can't find a way

I agree that a 30 fps cap is and I can't find a way to adjust the view expept for two generic choices. It is bad for me because I use 3 monitors and the view is too close to the car.

But this are minor problems and the game is just fun, so I think it deserve an 8
  4. Dec 1, 2013
    Adrenaline fast arcade racing game to be compared only with Burnout Paradise and Split/Second. Or NFS Most Wanted 2005.

NFS Rivals DO NOT HAVE: [–] technical problems (v1.1.0) [–] bad or unoptimized graphics (GTX 670, 1080p on Ultra no lags) [–] bad UI or annoying cut-scenes like in Most Wanted 2012 [+] destructible environment (it's not needed thou) [+] cities and vast open world

NFS Rivals DO NOT HAVE:
    [–] technical problems (v1.1.0)
    [–] bad or unoptimized graphics (GTX 670, 1080p on Ultra no lags)
    [–] bad UI or annoying cut-scenes like in Most Wanted 2012
    [+] destructible environment (it's not needed thou)
    [+] cities and vast open world

NFS Rivals DO have:
    [–] pretty long tutorial (something like 15 minutes) with unskippable intro cut-scene
    [+] no need for mouse
    [+] challenging gameplay (no "press X to win", but also not really hard)

Game is adrenaline fast: very high speed, limited non-regenerating HP, most time in pursuit by cops, open world with no finish lines (there are ones, but they do not end pursuits), gambling scores (higher heat level higher money income and more cops; BUT you get money only if you manage to get to one of your garages otherwise you get NOTHING) and NO PAUSE (at all!! you can't open map and look for best root, you can't stop and relax a little, you can only drive forward hoping to get to garage or gas station before your HP gets to zero). It's the core of this game.

Concerning other details (as they are not really important)... Mid-sized open world with dynamic daytime and vast variations of zones (plains, canyons, dense forests with narrow roads, snowy mountains, wide highway etc). Zones are pretty short so they're changing very rapidly. Roads are no straight even of highways and traffic present too, but can't say it's too hard driving. As for races they are hard enough: you can lightly get 1st on easy race, but on medium and hard it will be challenging enough: to get 1st the first time you ride particular route is very fortunate.

What else?.. Tuning is simple: you buy cars and weapons (emp, shockwave, turbo, jamming etc), standard upgrades (acceleration, top speed etc) plus customization for each one. Car are not numerous (it's a plus!) and different enough. Career progression (you choose tasks among "races", "pursuits" and "freeride") and EXPing are really nice. To be short just enough for arcade racing game.

And last, but not least: cop career is also fun and with different gameplay.
  5. Dec 2, 2013
    NFS Rivals Breaks the rules of stereotype driving arcade games.
    NFS Rivals Breaks the rules of stereotype driving arcade games.
    The game presents an any of new cars with reasonably good handling. All cars ar fully customizable from performance hardware to outlooks. The races are good and enjoyable, added with a new feature of instant head-to-head challenge mode, that allows you to randomly challenge any passer-by racer. The game puts an end to the old lobby based multiplayer system allowing the players to challenge each other in a head-to-head battle or group race directly by spotting each-other in-game. The game takes alot from its ancestors: Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012) by clubbing up the best of both games. What still lacks is the presence of a strong story, which just like its predecessors it lacks to copme up with. One last and very important thing Being capped on 30 FPS is just a NOOB's excuse to dislike such a marvellous game, because any simulation below 24 FPS is considered jerky or laggy above 24 fps, the smoothness just rises. So please think logically before offending unreasonably. Thank You
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    I've been playing the NFS series since the very first came out in the mid 90s. I've seen the good and the bad, and Need For Speed Rivals is one of the best games in the series yet. Yes, the PC version is currently capped at 30 fps, but if you can look past that, you've got a very fun and intense arcade racer here. For those of you wondering, the cars no longer have that overly-heavyI've been playing the NFS series since the very first came out in the mid 90s. I've seen the good and the bad, and Need For Speed Rivals is one of the best games in the series yet. Yes, the PC version is currently capped at 30 fps, but if you can look past that, you've got a very fun and intense arcade racer here. For those of you wondering, the cars no longer have that overly-heavy handling like in Hot Pursuit (2010) and Most Wanted (2012), and drifting is still the name of the game. Even though this is primarily a multiplayer game, when you play against the AI, it can put up a good fight and through some curve balls at you. Also, the different areas of the game world are clearly inspired by previous games in the NFS series, going all the way back to NFS3. Very nostalgic and fun! The NFS series is back on track again! Expand
  7. Nov 19, 2013
    This installment of Need for Speed is exactly what you are looking for if you are a fan of the franchise. It stays true and consistent with its dynamic gameplay seen in preceding NFS games while delivering a surprisingly interesting backstory of racers and cops. If you enjoyed Most Wanted (by Criterion), this game is a worthy successor and definitely a must for fans of racing games.
  8. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is a blast to play. Fun game for fans of the franchise and arcade racing fans in general. I feel like this game is what Most Wanted should have been. Handling has improved, more customization options than ever before, and the multiplayer (which, is basically the whole game considering you're always connected to other people) is innovative and fun. Being able to race other playersThis game is a blast to play. Fun game for fans of the franchise and arcade racing fans in general. I feel like this game is what Most Wanted should have been. Handling has improved, more customization options than ever before, and the multiplayer (which, is basically the whole game considering you're always connected to other people) is innovative and fun. Being able to race other players with the press of a single button is awesome, and the presence of player cops will always keep you on your toes (haven't tried the cop career yet, though I imagine it's a blast taking everyone's speed points).

Only negative is the game isn't amazingly optimized for the PC. I have a few hiccups while running it (though, for comparison, I have none at all while running Battlefield 4).

This game was a great buy with the $10 off code from McDonald's for Origin. There is plenty of content and replay value to be worth $40 over and over again.
  9. Nov 19, 2013
    One of the best NFS release after the most wanted 2005 version. Playing everything on ultra with my hd 7870 :D looks beautiful. No bugs and smooth gameplay :P
  10. Nov 19, 2013
    I give a 9 for the game. I have played through every NFS game and this one is among the good ones. Controls are more responsive than NFS MW2012, and cars feels more live. Gameplay showed some innovations, and the all drive system showed its power connecting me and my fellows. It's certainly not perfect, because of some minor issues such as gamepad control not changeable, 30fps lock, someI give a 9 for the game. I have played through every NFS game and this one is among the good ones. Controls are more responsive than NFS MW2012, and cars feels more live. Gameplay showed some innovations, and the all drive system showed its power connecting me and my fellows. It's certainly not perfect, because of some minor issues such as gamepad control not changeable, 30fps lock, some disconnections, etc. Customization is not as advertised, relatively shallow and lack of real customization. I am not saying body kits, but the decals are as is, not customizable, and feels not pretty at all. But all in all a legit game, well worth the 50 dollars price. Expand
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    What the hell is it with these ridiculous 0 scores? I will put my name on the line, for what it's worth, to defend this game, because this game is easily the best NFS title since Most Wanted 2005, and it is being unfairly criticized because of some minor issues that a handful of people are experiencing. I am running the game on a gtx 580 with the latest nvidia drivers (331.85) and I haveWhat the hell is it with these ridiculous 0 scores? I will put my name on the line, for what it's worth, to defend this game, because this game is easily the best NFS title since Most Wanted 2005, and it is being unfairly criticized because of some minor issues that a handful of people are experiencing. I am running the game on a gtx 580 with the latest nvidia drivers (331.85) and I have had almost no graphical issues whatsoever. The graphics are EXCELLENT, this is the first title on PC that deserves the next-gen qualification. Every single little facet of the game is a TOTAL improvement over previous titles whose foundations this game is built on. It takes features from Most Wanted 2012 and Hot Pursuit and the Run which felt good in theory but embarassingly piss poor in execution, and gives them the proper treatment they always deserved. The handling and the sound and the environments, which were all generic and not varied enough, and to the point where it felt the developer was treating the audience like a bunch of 10 year old kids, have all been given the proper thought and care for detail that is the most basic requirement for a game to be immersive and thereby great. All the features, from the trinity mission structure, to the scoring and resource system, to the balance of vehicular combat and open-world online play integration, EVERYTHING has been thoroughly thought out, tested and executed flawlessly. This marks the return of the series to form and relevance, the first time since its highs in 2005, and I can honestly say this game will keep me very satisfied until the anticipated next title in this lineage. TL;DR: Objectively, inarguably, the BEST, most FUN, most FLUID and ADDICTIVE NFS title since the days of Underground and Most Wanted. If you have even the remotest desire to relive those experience, but this game now. It is hands down the most professionally crafted game on PC since Arkham City and Skyrim. Expand
  12. Nov 21, 2013
    Amazing graphics and very easy to use interface. No sluggishness. The game looks and feels awesome. The roads are made somehow so that my car crashes very less times.

Although cars fly sometimes that looks amusing. 10/10. Love it.
  13. Nov 19, 2014
    This game is fun to play if you like goofing around in the world map. The career modes are a bit of a challenge, but do not take too long to complete. I choose to play in single-player mode because when the game is in online mode, the server keeps resetting during gameplay, which takes away from the multiplayer experience. But it's quite entertaining to play as a cop and take down racersThis game is fun to play if you like goofing around in the world map. The career modes are a bit of a challenge, but do not take too long to complete. I choose to play in single-player mode because when the game is in online mode, the server keeps resetting during gameplay, which takes away from the multiplayer experience. But it's quite entertaining to play as a cop and take down racers at your own leisure. I can run the game properly by running in single-player mode, disabling Origin In Game, and unlocking the frame rate using a command prompt. I can now run the game at 60 fps maxed at 2560x1440 resolution. My PC is running an Intel Core i7 @ 4.4 GHz and a GTX 970 and it does not break out a sweat running this game on those settings. Nice game to play once you configure it to run properly, but Ghost Games could have put a little more effort into the career modes. But overall, a solid game. Expand
  14. May 7, 2014
    Moin , besser als Most Wanted 2013 ! aber leider 30 FPS Lock , ansonsten ein gutes und grundsolides spiel wie ich finde .

Jedoch haette ich mir mehr Grafikeinstellungen gewuenscht , will nich sagen das sie schlecht ist die Optik , aber besser geht immer .
  15. Jan 16, 2014
    3.0 ... This is what happens when you let the 12 year old **** review stuff in here. Havent played much NFS for a few years, but after watching CGR's review on this game I decided to buy it and ...It's fun. Beautiful graphics, great cars, cop chases, online all the time, instant challenges.. **** look at the water drops on the cars **** AMAZING. All those 11 year old internet warriors who3.0 ... This is what happens when you let the 12 year old **** review stuff in here. Havent played much NFS for a few years, but after watching CGR's review on this game I decided to buy it and ...It's fun. Beautiful graphics, great cars, cop chases, online all the time, instant challenges.. **** look at the water drops on the cars **** AMAZING. All those 11 year old internet warriors who think they know how games should be made should go lock em in a room and ****ing jerkoff or whatever the **** they do whole day. This game is fun.
    /thread
  16. Jan 14, 2014
    I like EA & NFS but bad Rivals ? :( Senaryo berbat , hikaye yok modiye ekleyerek yapmıssınız ama bir amaç yok o yarıstan p yarısa yani seri 2006'dan sonra kötüye gidiyor 2011'de The Run ile bira iyilesti geri kötülesti tavsiym bir amaç koyun.
  17. Mar 18, 2014
    The game seems fun to me. I went into the game expecting another Most wanted, I got something different. The cap on 30 FPS has not effected my gameplay at all, and not being able to pause it can be annoying sometimes. Almost all the reviews are saying how its not as good as Most Wanted and comparing the two. Games dont develop if developers dont try new things. If you are going into thisThe game seems fun to me. I went into the game expecting another Most wanted, I got something different. The cap on 30 FPS has not effected my gameplay at all, and not being able to pause it can be annoying sometimes. Almost all the reviews are saying how its not as good as Most Wanted and comparing the two. Games dont develop if developers dont try new things. If you are going into this game expecting more than Loud Car noises, Awesome soundtrack and wicked graphics then you have come to the wrong racing game. Expand
  18. Apr 8, 2015
    I'm sad, i really am..i have played NFS since road&track, the only thing i know how to do on MS-DOS is executing speed.exe and well, i really miss the older games but let's face it, we, users are going to complain anyway :)

Take some time, read the reviews and think..0s are everywhere and the reasons usually doesn't make any sense, it just seems like people wanted to give this game a 0 and came up with whatever reason for it, anything EA does will be hated and well, it won't change soon :/ People will find the slightest mistake in the game to give it a 0..i just feel sad, the series i have always loved (except criterion's most wanted...f*ck that game) being hated on usually for no good reason or because of things that can be easily fixed..
    Please..stop this..

The game is fun, i didn't have any issues with it, not even with the "fps lock", i won't get in details because it's really no use, everyone will keep on hating and saying that EA is the devil, need for speed is dead, etc

It doesn't matter what EA does, users will hate it and give it 0s anyway

1. Jan 31, 2014
    One good idea--the racer's scoring system--spoiled by a thuddingly dull cop campaign and dumb design decisions. [March 2014, p.68]
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    EA managed to end the bad run of Need for Speeds released in odd years. But even if it’s the best NFA in a long time, it could have been better. Rivals looks and plays really good but it could use a properly working multiplayer or a real single player mode. And if you remember Most Wanted, Rivals looks quite familiar. [01/2014, p.38]
  3. Dec 19, 2013
    A scintillating return to form that's all style...and no little substance. Blistering arcade racing. [Jan 2014, p.76]