3.1

1. Nov 19, 2013
    This installment of Need for Speed is exactly what you are looking for if you are a fan of the franchise. It stays true and consistent with its dynamic gameplay seen in preceding NFS games while delivering a surprisingly interesting backstory of racers and cops. If you enjoyed Most Wanted (by Criterion), this game is a worthy successor and definitely a must for fans of racing games.
  2. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is a blast to play. Fun game for fans of the franchise and arcade racing fans in general. I feel like this game is what Most Wanted should have been. Handling has improved, more customization options than ever before, and the multiplayer (which, is basically the whole game considering you're always connected to other people) is innovative and fun. Being able to race other players with the press of a single button is awesome, and the presence of player cops will always keep you on your toes (haven't tried the cop career yet, though I imagine it's a blast taking everyone's speed points).

Only negative is the game isn't amazingly optimized for the PC. I have a few hiccups while running it (though, for comparison, I have none at all while running Battlefield 4).

This game was a great buy with the $10 off code from McDonald's for Origin. There is plenty of content and replay value to be worth $40 over and over again.
  3. Nov 19, 2013
    I give a 9 for the game. I have played through every NFS game and this one is among the good ones. Controls are more responsive than NFS MW2012, and cars feels more live. Gameplay showed some innovations, and the all drive system showed its power connecting me and my fellows. It's certainly not perfect, because of some minor issues such as gamepad control not changeable, 30fps lock, some disconnections, etc. Customization is not as advertised, relatively shallow and lack of real customization. I am not saying body kits, but the decals are as is, not customizable, and feels not pretty at all. But all in all a legit game, well worth the 50 dollars price. Expand
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    Okay, the game is capped at 30fps. So what? On top settings, low settings, I cannot see how it would be better at 60fps. Its fast, responsive, looks amazing, and is one of the most satisfying racing games I have ever played.
    My only gripe is that there are only 6 human people on a map at a time.
    The game is NOT broken. It is being broken by people trying to run the game at 60fps.
  5. Nov 20, 2013
    What the hell is it with these ridiculous 0 scores? I will put my name on the line, for what it's worth, to defend this game, because this game is easily the best NFS title since Most Wanted 2005, and it is being unfairly criticized because of some minor issues that a handful of people are experiencing. I am running the game on a gtx 580 with the latest nvidia drivers (331.85) and I have had almost no graphical issues whatsoever. The graphics are EXCELLENT, this is the first title on PC that deserves the next-gen qualification. Every single little facet of the game is a TOTAL improvement over previous titles whose foundations this game is built on. It takes features from Most Wanted 2012 and Hot Pursuit and the Run which felt good in theory but embarassingly piss poor in execution, and gives them the proper treatment they always deserved. The handling and the sound and the environments, which were all generic and not varied enough, and to the point where it felt the developer was treating the audience like a bunch of 10 year old kids, have all been given the proper thought and care for detail that is the most basic requirement for a game to be immersive and thereby great. All the features, from the trinity mission structure, to the scoring and resource system, to the balance of vehicular combat and open-world online play integration, EVERYTHING has been thoroughly thought out, tested and executed flawlessly. This marks the return of the series to form and relevance, the first time since its highs in 2005, and I can honestly say this game will keep me very satisfied until the anticipated next title in this lineage. TL;DR: Objectively, inarguably, the BEST, most FUN, most FLUID and ADDICTIVE NFS title since the days of Underground and Most Wanted. If you have even the remotest desire to relive those experience, but this game now. It is hands down the most professionally crafted game on PC since Arkham City and Skyrim. Expand
  6. Nov 21, 2013
    Amazing graphics and very easy to use interface. No sluggishness. The game looks and feels awesome. The roads are made somehow so that my car crashes very less times.

Although cars fly sometimes that looks amusing. 10/10. Love it.
  7. Dec 1, 2013
    Adrenaline fast arcade racing game to be compared only with Burnout Paradise and Split/Second. Or NFS Most Wanted 2005. NFS Rivals DO NOT HAVE: [–] technical problems (v1.1.0) [–] bad or unoptimized graphics (GTX 670, 1080p on Ultra no lags) [–] bad UI or annoying cut-scenes like in Most Wanted 2012 [+] destructible environment (it's not needed thou) [+] cities and vast open world

NFS Rivals DO have:
    [–] pretty long tutorial (something like 15 minutes) with unskippable intro cut-scene
    [+] no need for mouse
    [+] challenging gameplay (no "press X to win", but also not really hard)

Game is adrenaline fast: very high speed, limited non-regenerating HP, most time in pursuit by cops, open world with no finish lines (there are ones, but they do not end pursuits), gambling scores (higher heat level higher money income and more cops; BUT you get money only if you manage to get to one of your garages otherwise you get NOTHING) and NO PAUSE (at all!! you can't open map and look for best root, you can't stop and relax a little, you can only drive forward hoping to get to garage or gas station before your HP gets to zero). It's the core of this game.

Concerning other details (as they are not really important)... Mid-sized open world with dynamic daytime and vast variations of zones (plains, canyons, dense forests with narrow roads, snowy mountains, wide highway etc). Zones are pretty short so they're changing very rapidly. Roads are no straight even of highways and traffic present too, but can't say it's too hard driving. As for races they are hard enough: you can lightly get 1st on easy race, but on medium and hard it will be challenging enough: to get 1st the first time you ride particular route is very fortunate.

What else?.. Tuning is simple: you buy cars and weapons (emp, shockwave, turbo, jamming etc), standard upgrades (acceleration, top speed etc) plus customization for each one. Car are not numerous (it's a plus!) and different enough. Career progression (you choose tasks among "races", "pursuits" and "freeride") and EXPing are really nice. To be short just enough for arcade racing game.

And last, but not least: cop career is also fun and with different gameplay.
  8. May 7, 2014
    Moin , besser als Most Wanted 2013 ! aber leider 30 FPS Lock , ansonsten ein gutes und grundsolides spiel wie ich finde .

Jedoch haette ich mir mehr Grafikeinstellungen gewuenscht , will nich sagen das sie schlecht ist die Optik , aber besser geht immer .
  9. Jan 14, 2014
    I like EA & NFS but bad Rivals ? :( Senaryo berbat , hikaye yok modiye ekleyerek yapmıssınız ama bir amaç yok o yarıstan p yarısa yani seri 2006'dan sonra kötüye gidiyor 2011'de The Run ile bira iyilesti geri kötülesti tavsiym bir amaç koyun.
  10. Mar 18, 2014
    The game seems fun to me. I went into the game expecting another Most wanted, I got something different. The cap on 30 FPS has not effected my gameplay at all, and not being able to pause it can be annoying sometimes. Almost all the reviews are saying how its not as good as Most Wanted and comparing the two. Games dont develop if developers dont try new things. If you are going into this game expecting more than Loud Car noises, Awesome soundtrack and wicked graphics then you have come to the wrong racing game. Expand

1. Jan 31, 2014
    One good idea--the racer's scoring system--spoiled by a thuddingly dull cop campaign and dumb design decisions. [March 2014, p.68]
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    EA managed to end the bad run of Need for Speeds released in odd years. But even if it’s the best NFA in a long time, it could have been better. Rivals looks and plays really good but it could use a properly working multiplayer or a real single player mode. And if you remember Most Wanted, Rivals looks quite familiar. [01/2014, p.38]
  3. Dec 19, 2013
    A scintillating return to form that's all style...and no little substance. Blistering arcade racing. [Jan 2014, p.76]