Need for Speed: Underground 2 PC

8.5

1. Mar 22, 2017
    The customization portion of the game is by far its most appealing aspect in my opinion. The racing mechanics are slightly above average and while the game can be challenging at times but can all be mastered with repetition. My biggest criticism of this game is the lack of a immersive story and a incomplete ending. 6/10 Decent
  2. Nov 13, 2016
    Probably my favorite NFS game of all time. The PC version unfortunetly wasnt future proofed by EA like with stuff like no native wide screen or high resolutions support, cannot bind your own controls, they simply wont save after quitting the game and lots and lots of crashes during load screens on Windows 7 machine, but atleast game always manages to save your progress before crashing. TheProbably my favorite NFS game of all time. The PC version unfortunetly wasnt future proofed by EA like with stuff like no native wide screen or high resolutions support, cannot bind your own controls, they simply wont save after quitting the game and lots and lots of crashes during load screens on Windows 7 machine, but atleast game always manages to save your progress before crashing. The AI can be a mess aswel, in many races the rubber banding is insane and during starts AI can be very agressive and spin you out or ram you while taking a corner.

Gameplay wise this game is simply a tuner fan's wet dream, no other street racing game has such attention to detail or options as U2. Driving kinda leens on simcade side, you cant drift around corners at 300 kmh like in the newer games, you have to actually brake and take them carefully. All cars feel different to drive and have unique sound unlike in first Underground where they all sounded almost the same with generic exhaust note, in U2 Subaru sounds like an actual Subaru and Supra sounds like a Supra, you get the idea. I didnt like so much the car rating system in which you have to build a 10 star car, game is forcing you to use custom car parts that you might no like ti improve it, like spinners, neons etc., but you can revert all that and build your dream car after finishing the career. Also i didnt like the big emphasis on URL races, they get quite repetative and tedious if youre not the track racing type.

Story for some will seem cringy, but for me it felt well suited for game of this type and its era, also Brooke Burke is the finest NFS babe of all time, just sayin.

Despite few flaws its still an amazing racing game, you can start the game with just one weak car and finish it with it being a super car killer.
  3. May 3, 2016
    This game is one of the best in series . Soap graphics , but cool tuning . Many different really car , awesome soundtracks , many tips of races . NFS Underground 2 wonderful game for 2004 and now can play . 7/10
  4. Feb 17, 2016
    The best game of the franchise until today (2016). Nothing about exotic or supersports cars . The scene is the suburban world where the street racers, with their custom tuned cars, are gaining ground in the streets, competing not only for the finish line, but the beauty of tuning, passing through the streets of the city. That is the real Underground. This is what a gamer likes.
  5. Nov 30, 2015
    I had this game as a child for the ps2 and guess what... I still have the game today. I still play it every once in a while and I still enjoy having this game in my ps2 collection of games. Anyways the graphics are spectacular for 2004 and the customization are a lot better.
  6. Nov 19, 2015
    I'm played this game as a kid and still play this. I have the game on PC & PS2. Maybe its not good as the Most Wanted from 2005 but the nostalgia is so overhyped !
  7. May 25, 2015
  8. May 24, 2015
    Need for Speed: Underground 2 is one solid game. While it's not an amazing racer, it has a ton of race modes, customizable parts and it captures the tuning scene really well. First of all, lets count down talk about the race modes. First, there are the classic Circuit and Sprint modes, which need no explanation, then there is the Drag mode, where you basically go in a straight line andNeed for Speed: Underground 2 is one solid game. While it's not an amazing racer, it has a ton of race modes, customizable parts and it captures the tuning scene really well. First of all, lets count down talk about the race modes. First, there are the classic Circuit and Sprint modes, which need no explanation, then there is the Drag mode, where you basically go in a straight line and have to switch lanes and avoid pushing your car to it's limits and blowing it's engine, as well as avoiding crashing into walls. While the drag mode doesn't have as exciting tracks as the first Underground did, it still works pretty well. Then there is the Drift mode, which is pretty much the same like in UG1. There are also 4 new race modes. One of them is Street X, which is a really big flop by the way. It is basically a circuit, only on small and narrow dirt tracks, then there is the Underground Racing League (shortened U.R.L.) which is, again, circuit, only it takes place on speedways and airport runways, it adds 2 more opponents (making it a total of 5.) and there is no traffic. Boring. There is an Outrun mode (which is only accessible by entering free ride.) and lastly, we have the Free Ride mode, where you can explore Bayview at your own will. That is cool, but there is nothing much to do in the city, apart from finding cool areas and challenging opponents to an outrun race. Now seems like a good time to introduce you to the city. It is called, like mentioned earlier, Bayview. It consists of 5 districts. City Core, Beacon Hills, Capilano Heights, Coal Harbor and Airport. Okay, now let's see what cars we have. So every car from the first Underground, except Dodge Neon, Honda S2000, Acura Integra Type-R, Mitsubishi Lancer and Subaru Impreza, makes a return in Underground 2. We also have new cars, like the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Audi TT. We also have three SUV's, but it is a torture to drive them, so i recommend not to touch them. Now that we have got all that out of the way, let's talk about the customisation. It was awesome in the first Underground, but here it is taken even further. You can now add hydraulics, spinners, change how doors open and much, much more. A bad thing is that the game forces you to "rice" your car, so the visual rating bar would increase and you would gain access to make your DVD covers, which are requirements by the way. So, that is pretty much it. A huge racing game, with little flaws. Overall a good experience can be had, if you close your eyes for the advertising. Yes, i would definitely recommend the game. If the racing mechanics isn't the best, teh customisation will surely keep you entertained for a while. Expand
  9. Feb 6, 2015
    Crashes, constant stuttering starting after a few minutes, controls settings lost frequently, no ingame way to change controls, typical heavily controlled arcade racing, which basically means that the cpu cheating to give you the challenge, of course sometimes for your sake if you are behind. Nicely done aspects but overall lacks of clear direction and playability.
  10. Dec 10, 2014
    One of the best NFS for me. Amazing cars, theme, environment, fun races, challenging campaign, memorable races and a nice soundtrack, much better than the ones in the later games. And the tuning was amazing... the whole concept of street racing was kinda new. And there was little to none focus on the story, which is awesome, because racing games don't really need a plot. It might as wellOne of the best NFS for me. Amazing cars, theme, environment, fun races, challenging campaign, memorable races and a nice soundtrack, much better than the ones in the later games. And the tuning was amazing... the whole concept of street racing was kinda new. And there was little to none focus on the story, which is awesome, because racing games don't really need a plot. It might as well just get in the way, like what happened (to me, at last) with Carbon, Undercover and even Most Wanted. The only problem is that it is very repetitive, but I never found myself bored of it. Expand
  11. Sep 22, 2014
    **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
  12. Sep 22, 2014
    A nice game of series Need for Speed. It's a good game, I really do not what to say. Ok .. the truth is that after a while ...boring. Music and items in the game are ok.
  13. Aug 23, 2014
    I really liked this game, I have finished Single Player and I like a lot when you get new parts and the engine sound will change specifically to each car. They are also very detailed and it's not a very hardware intensive game, too bad it crashes sometimes and you get the impression it's something in the game, but it doesn't stop you from having fun since it happens only on occasion. TheI really liked this game, I have finished Single Player and I like a lot when you get new parts and the engine sound will change specifically to each car. They are also very detailed and it's not a very hardware intensive game, too bad it crashes sometimes and you get the impression it's something in the game, but it doesn't stop you from having fun since it happens only on occasion. The races, the drag races, sprints, circuits everything is fun, and compared to other NFS series titles this one has the advantage of lacking police in a good sense, the street racers have taken over Bayview (the city where everything happens), and you don't need to evade a very difficult police pursuit after racing. The cars are also very detailed and follow up with their respective in real life models with all details, you can customize their headlights, taillights and add new parts that could've been modeled by a mechanic. For me the best part is customizing a vehicle, also there are SUVs for racing, even doing drifting with them, altough there are fewer models, but they also retain characteristics such as being really heavy or having a powerful enough engine. The story is also good, I feel like that character is struggling when everything and everyone are against him, the only friends he got is the people from the shops he visits and sometimes other NPCs will SMS you with new locations or tell you where some undisclosed races are being held for better prizes. What is kind of odd is that you have to go everywhere you want to race in order to complete and you can't do a simple jump to race as in NFS Most Wanted 1, but ok. Expand
  14. Jan 17, 2014
    I played this a lot as a kid. To this day it's still the best racing game i've ever played. It's amazing. None of the other NFS games even come close to the amount of perfection Underground 2 has.
  15. Nov 28, 2013
    Many game modes, can tuning the car, long time to get complete 100% and moderate AI difficulty. But the graphics is more bad than Hot Pursuit 2, worst driving physics, lacks of exotic cars and lacks of pursuit.
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    Great game, had everything a gamer would expect and more. Had hundreds of hours on my crappy Celeron M laptop with this game at 20 FPS back in the day. I personally don't really fancy the police chases, so this game was perfect for me.
  17. Nov 1, 2013
    Whilst undoubtedly fun to play for a short time, this game rapidly becomes dull in the extreme. There are only a few different types of events to enter and the obligatory "car upgrade" ideas are also kind of dull. In short, a console game that wasn't improved when it was ported to the PC, with limited gameplay options.

I suppose if you are a car freak then its much more entertaining but

I suppose if you are a car freak then its much more entertaining but I'm not, so this also became more than a little dull.

Good things: A real sense of speed and action. The cars appear to handle quite realistically. Its fun with a steering wheel and foot-pedals.

Bad things: The cars are indestructible. Some of the simplest tactics involve running competitors off the road and torpedoing around corners without slowing down because you "bounce" off the scenery. The way you can replay races endlessly until you win them is also lame.

Summary: Fun for a little while, but lack of gameplay depth quickly bores you to tears and there aren't even any pedestrians or small, furry pets to squash to keep you amused.
  18. May 10, 2013
    This game is one of the best racing games, in my opinion. But the game has a problem: near the end of the game, it seems that the producers made the final part in a hurry, repeating the same challenges, making me lose the will to play. But, yes, This is a good game. Oh, and of course, this is the best game in the NFS series.
  19. May 3, 2013
    Need for Speed: Underground 2 is the sequel of the original 2003 game.

Like the previous one, the game centers around the import and tuning culture. The games features very similar game play style like the previous one, but with changes of course. The Career is not no longer so linear, and features Free Roam, as well with other additions, like new race modes, such as Outrun, when
    Need for Speed: Underground 2 is the sequel of the original 2003 game.

Like the previous one, the game centers around the import and tuning culture.

The Career is not no longer so linear, and features Free Roam, as well with other additions, like new race modes, such as Outrun, when you must outdistance your opponent to win, more areas like the BayView Airport, and a much bigger city.

The Career is obviously different, featuring different style of game play and areas.

Also it doesn't have anymore the option to choose a race's difficulty, only the whole event's difficulty, by changing the Career Difficulty.

Most of the race types have been kept, others added, but removed as well. For instance, the game no longer features Knock-Out Circuits, but also added Outruns.

Other races have also been changed a bit, like the Tournament, now called URL(Underground Racing League) being simultaneously similar, but different. It's still a stage-style race, but featured on special race tracks, and even on the airport, while the original game featured the races in the city.

Also both different from the original game, the sequel also has some places that aren't accessible to the player in Free Roam, such as certain drag tracks, but drift and URL tracks aren't accessible as well.

There have also been changes to the original racing style, the Drift races are now playable not only on special areas, but also in parts of the city, in Jackson Heights.

Beyond the game style, the cars handling feels different, by not being so responsive, which in the original it was sometimes ridiculous, but is also worse on higher speeds, by requiring to make long and strong brakes to take certain corners.

Also the cutscenes are different from the original game, while the old ones where presented in a cinematic mod, the new ones are having a sort of interesting animated magazines, but presented in a High Quality way(but not cinematic like in the original ones).

So, the final verdict.

NFS:U2 Took the best and most important parts from the original one, and made them even better, but still with some flaws.

Overall the game is great, and I still say that it should be played this days, by having a good replay value, an interesting city, and a good plot.
  20. Feb 15, 2013
    Im gonna review some old games starting with everyone's favourite. NFS U2 is the second Underground game in NFS and some people its better than Underground 1, to me I think yeah it is better, this game is one of the best games ever made its so, it brings back a lot of memories thats what I was trying to say, the graphics are good 2004 and the funny thing once my friend played GTA SA and IIm gonna review some old games starting with everyone's favourite. NFS U2 is the second Underground game in NFS and some people its better than Underground 1, to me I think yeah it is better, this game is one of the best games ever made its so, it brings back a lot of memories thats what I was trying to say, the graphics are good 2004 and the funny thing once my friend played GTA SA and I thought he was playing U2 (NOT THE BAND U2 THE GAME UNDERGROUND The career mode is a huge challenge or just drive and explore the city and find some cool Easter eggs. The multiplayer is also challenging but most of all the songs in U2 are so catchy that you won't be able to stop thinking about U2 or the song. So in the end, I more than happy give Need For Speed: Underground 2, 9/10. Expand
  21. Jan 23, 2013
    To get through massive real estate of Bay-view and fulfill your destiny as an import tuning master, you'll need to do several things. First of them is racing: which is to win races and you'll progress. But its not just racing, it's the way you progress. The game encourages you to explore many nuances, to become a part of the "lifestyle", and its in many ways it reward you for doing it so.To get through massive real estate of Bay-view and fulfill your destiny as an import tuning master, you'll need to do several things. First of them is racing: which is to win races and you'll progress. But its not just racing, it's the way you progress. The game encourages you to explore many nuances, to become a part of the "lifestyle", and its in many ways it reward you for doing it so. There are strategically placed stack of cashed waiting to be collected, there are few shortcuts, glowing rings of color presenting races, opportunities and garages. sometimes you could get bored playing this game as there is not enough hidden stuff to keep your interest high, you can drop out of the career mode's explore mode and enter world map. The difference is that explore mode enables you to drive freely around the city looking for races, getting lost in Run Out races and being distracted by shops and garages. Expand
  22. Aug 31, 2012
    A fresh breath for the genre for "its era". I know this review is due but i just happened to drop this down while im roaming around the site. What a nice touch overall, still remember the fun of the race and customization options. Second best after NFS: Porsche Unleashed ;)
  23. Jul 11, 2012
    Much better than the first one. The graphics are fair, but I think, it's a little worse than in 2003. The new race types are good and the drift is much better too. The tuning options are quite good. But the tracks are nearly the same again. Fortunately the traffic is not irritating too much.
  24. Nov 19, 2011
    A lot of people say this is the best ever Need for Speed. I can see what they mean, because it offers a complete customisation package of upgrading, tuning, visuals etc. But what really makes this game not a great one is that it has THE WORST line up of cars, THE WORST ever soundtrack, THE WORST city and THE WORST driving physics. Other than that the vents are pretty good, the difficultyA lot of people say this is the best ever Need for Speed. I can see what they mean, because it offers a complete customisation package of upgrading, tuning, visuals etc. But what really makes this game not a great one is that it has THE WORST line up of cars, THE WORST ever soundtrack, THE WORST city and THE WORST driving physics. Other than that the vents are pretty good, the difficulty is just right and it's of decent length. Personally, I didn't find it fun at all. It's just so boring, so slow, so pointless. Nothing feels exciting, rewarding or exceptionally well-done. What's more, there are some glitches and technical issues, including, for example, the lack of widescreen support. Expand
  25. Jun 10, 2011
    In this game you are a racing driver in a city which hardly resembles Los Angeles. The graphics are not so good but the game is really interesting. Your guide through the game will be Rachel and a guy which only calls you. The races are quite interesting but some people will get bored after playing a while. I'm not one these people. I can play it for a long time. I did not understand theIn this game you are a racing driver in a city which hardly resembles Los Angeles. The graphics are not so good but the game is really interesting. Your guide through the game will be Rachel and a guy which only calls you. The races are quite interesting but some people will get bored after playing a while. I'm not one these people. I can play it for a long time. I did not understand the story but that isn't very bad for me. The tuning in this game is awesome, the best in series (in my opinion). Only autosculpt parts are missing (first appeared in Carbon). Some people who have played newer NFS games like Most Wanted will say that there is no police. But I don't really like the police so it's good for me. Soundtracks are good for example Black Betty by Spiderbait that really makes you going fast. Physics are not so good because this a fun arcade game, not a hardcore simulator. I have very good memories about this game so that will be higher score for me.
    Only bad thing is the final race is too easy. Easier than some drag races.

Graphics:8
    Gameplay:10
    Sounds:9
    Story:(Don't want to count it)
  26. DionisB
    Mar 30, 2008
    Seriously, I don't understand how some people think. How can you compare NFSU2 with any other so called ''racing game''. First I dont't even think Burnout should be called a racing game, cause all the game is about is crash you car to the fullest. This game otherwise is terribly good game, just the feel of driving illegal street racing makes you play it more. Seriously, I don't understand how some people think. How can you compare NFSU2 with any other so called ''racing game''. First I dont't even think Burnout should be called a racing game, cause all the game is about is crash you car to the fullest. This game otherwise is terribly good game, just the feel of driving illegal street racing makes you play it more. Good music, damn good graphics for a game made 2004 and the best underground racing game to this day. Prostreet and Carbon was a disapointment but this classic brings you hope back that EA will ''probably'' make an new and better NFS than ever. Expand
  27. WesleyL.
    Nov 4, 2006
    Why does everybody complain, its almost 2007 and the graphics still aren't outdated, I just started playing after a 1 year 'sabatical' and now I'm addicted again, uhm.. anywayz its a good game, lots to do and to tune.
  28. MikeL.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Lame gameplay, lame music, lame presentation. Oh, and the graphics really aren't that good either..
  29. BryanN.
    Mar 16, 2005
    Right...The Graphics are superb, as long as you have a decent graphic card. There are more graphic options depending on your graphic card. For example with a Radeon 9550, there's the extra 'enhanced contrast" effect and many other options compared to GeForce 4...Lots of modification which make the car look rediculous, or rather cartoonish, unless you have good taste~. tracks are Right...The Graphics are superb, as long as you have a decent graphic card. There are more graphic options depending on your graphic card. For example with a Radeon 9550, there's the extra 'enhanced contrast" effect and many other options compared to GeForce 4...Lots of modification which make the car look rediculous, or rather cartoonish, unless you have good taste~. tracks are more complicated, which restrict speed. So, whats the point of a racing game?, you should just call it a driving game...However, its a sad thing that there no 'jumping bridges' in NFSU2. Expand
  30. NickL.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Very good graphics cool parts and a lot more realistic than the first one overall rating for me good.
  31. Henry
    Feb 4, 2005
    Of course this game should get a better rank than the worst 0, BUT compared to for example flatout I cant see what this has to offer. A costly and nice pakage and surface do not create playability. This game dont add anything.
  32. G.D.
    Jan 15, 2005
    THE BEST!!!!
  33. KietT.
    Jan 6, 2005
    Very Cool!!! I have both one and two and cant stop playing it!!! Good Game to get!
  34. killahondaloosepimpdaddy
    Jan 3, 2005
    Ok not worth a ten not much improvment the only good thing is u can go around da city. Mostly the same thing only 2 new races streetx and url. i dont no how you lot can give this a 9or an 8 or 10 its not worth it som nex people hu love this game so much. Buy midnight club instead.
  35. RiseFall
    Dec 22, 2004
    I can't play to racing games WITHOUT cars damage.
  36. PhilleH.
    Dec 4, 2004
    It´s greit.
  37. Billandted
    Dec 1, 2004
    What a let down they built it up but it basically the same game as before. after playing burnout 3 this game made me want to die. dont buy it!!!
  38. SpankMonkey
    Nov 27, 2004
    Very fast action, nice graphics, solid gameplay. Confusing Multiplayer interface (LAN filter is stupid), a greater selection of cars like S2000 and other ricer cars, and it is missing the fine detail like each exhaust type has a unique sound & suspension types have minor differences. Brandnames have no impact unlike real life. otherwise good game.
  39. MartijnV.
    Nov 21, 2004
    I'm disappointed that you can't choose the difficulty level anymore before each race. Because the drag races can be realy difficult and the cirquit races too easy. The sound and the graphics are very good and I like this game a lot better then part one.
  40. KevinC.
    Nov 19, 2004
    Overall an incredibly solid title. The combination of the number and types of races, mixed with the number and types of cars makes for one very replayable game. The races are challenging, the rewards aer generally good, and there's no feeling like unlocking your favorite car, then driving it out onto the track.
  41. Bruno
    Nov 16, 2004
    Great title..!!! Nice graphics..and lots of fun driving fast.!
  42. K.M.
    Nov 14, 2004
    While last year's game provided us with the thrills and chills of tuner culture, this game ups the ante and delivers in every aspect of the game. There's more quality and quantity in everything. An ambitious and highly successful undertaking by EA. From the highly-immersive and navigable city (darn I wish I can stop by those Burger Kings for a break), to the insane number of While last year's game provided us with the thrills and chills of tuner culture, this game ups the ante and delivers in every aspect of the game. There's more quality and quantity in everything. An ambitious and highly successful undertaking by EA. From the highly-immersive and navigable city (darn I wish I can stop by those Burger Kings for a break), to the insane number of customizations, to the traditional need for speed gameplay, this is a winner. Get your copy today, or you'll be sorry. Oh, did I mention it has Brooke Burke? :) Expand
  43. Flint
    Nov 11, 2004
    I dont really know how to rate this game. Id rather give it a 5 and believe IM the stupid one who cant find a way to sell the stuff I bought and transfer my uniques. They cant be so stupid, it must be just me. If you ever realize how to keep your stuff of sell them to use it with anoher car, same for the uniques, hit me at msn, xqflint@hotmail.com
    Thanks
  44. gametesterfozzy
    Aug 31, 2004
    i have played this game and so far its a very good game
    i liked the first one and it think that this one is better

if you liked the first one than youll love this game

get the demo play it then when it comes out full vesion get it

youll love it
  45. Jan 17, 2014

1. For an arcade game, it's even surprisingly playable with a steering wheel, with near misses causing no small amount of amateurish flinching. If you can't afford to attach largely pointless gadgets to your otherwise moribund vehicle, this is the next best thing. [PC Zone]
  2. Its immense thrills and spills through the open-ended city of Bayview is exhilarating, and the culture that is emerging is created in the game to great effect.
    The world is elaborate, the sense of speed is dizzying, and the customization could cost you a job or a girlfriend. But you'll still have Brooke to keep you company.