NHL 2005 PC

4.5

1. G-Three
    Oct 29, 2004
    The user interface is horrible beyond all sanity. The game plays horribly compared to 2004.
  2. CarterD.
    Sep 19, 2004
    It's a good game, when it works. It quits every other time I try to play it, exiting back to my desktop for no reason.
  3. DomC.
    Mar 24, 2005
    Beautiful graphics Thats it...... the same thing like most of peoples... Where the Create Player?? Come On EaSport this is the most important things for a lot of peoples and you forget about it. I quit Ea Sport just for this...
  4. JasonL.
    Mar 6, 2005
    Good graphics, love the new foreign hockey league addition, but where's the Create-a-player setup??? I spent 30 bucks for that game, and then they fall short. Not entirely a ripoff, but very close.
  5. TS
    Sep 30, 2004
    NO CREATE A PLAYER. MENUS HAVE GLITCHES. CAN'T CONFIGURE YOUR CONTROLLER. What happened EASPORTS. This game has so many bugs it's uinbelievable. 2004 wasn't perfect but I'd give it an 8/10. 2005 is a 2/10. Very very disappointing.
  6. JayW.
    Jan 24, 2005
    BAD!! BAD!! BAD!! Now if we could get the ESPN NHL2K5's game play and entire setup ( game modes, create a player..etc ) with the graphics of NHL 2005, then we'd have an awsome game!! The grapics and the way the players move on the ice is very realistic, but it pretty much stops there. No create a player!! What gives? In NHL 2K5 not only can your create a player, you can bring BAD!! BAD!! BAD!! Now if we could get the ESPN NHL2K5's game play and entire setup ( game modes, create a player..etc ) with the graphics of NHL 2005, then we'd have an awsome game!! The grapics and the way the players move on the ice is very realistic, but it pretty much stops there. No create a player!! What gives? In NHL 2K5 not only can your create a player, you can bring back past players and have the play by play commentator say their full name. The computer cheats. Several times I'll have a 3-0 leading with 5 minutes left in the 3rd period. All of a sudden the computer gets invinciable. They get 4 cheap goals in 5 minutes and wins. Also as soon as you enter their zone, its almost impossible to make a play without getting ambushed by body checks!! I've been a solid customer of the EA Sports NHL games dating back to the 1992 Sega Genesis NHL Hockey. NHL 2005 will be the last one I buy. For game play and options.....SEGA ESPN 2k5 all the way. Expand
  7. DavidC.
    Mar 1, 2005
    After wearing out my NHL 2004, I bit the expensive bullet and purchased NHL 2005. Since 1996, I have created a player in my own image and name and suited him up with my San Jose Sharks. So with the graphics for '05 looking better than ever, I cruised the main menu (bad, bad interface) and discovered that Create Player had been deleted! Whose stupid idea was that?!! I tried playing After wearing out my NHL 2004, I bit the expensive bullet and purchased NHL 2005. Since 1996, I have created a player in my own image and name and suited him up with my San Jose Sharks. So with the graphics for '05 looking better than ever, I cruised the main menu (bad, bad interface) and discovered that Create Player had been deleted! Whose stupid idea was that?!! I tried playing knowing that EA Sports had banished me from the league forever, but I couldn't enjoy it. I reloaded my PC with the '04 version. '05 will languish in my desk drawer, unless I really need a coaster for guests. I can't understand the motivation for dumping Create Player -- the whole point of these games are vicarious thrills even more personal than those received when attending a sporting event; rather than cheering for "us" when you really mean your team become cheers from the virtual crowd for YOU, the cybersuperstar. Well, it used to be, anyway. I was playing NHL 2004 to get my hockey fix, which was denied by the demigods of the sport. Now this. EA Sports -- if you don't return Create Player to 2006, you have seen my last dime. Expand
  8. MarkS.
    May 4, 2005
    No Create-A-Player? Not worth my time. Rented it, played one game, returned it.
  9. JoeS.
    Nov 4, 2004
    It's ok..but no create your own player...glitches...well might as well stick with NHL 2004.
  10. JhonnySuede
    Sep 26, 2004
    This version of nhl is pretty bad compared to its predessor (nhl 2004). The graphics are sure good, but the game play is really really weak... too bad.
  11. SergeyK.
    Sep 29, 2004
    Very good game! But you must learn to play it, for a while.
  12. SteveF.
    Jan 18, 2005
    I'd have to agree with mostly everyone on here and say that this game is pretty bad in many respects. First, there is no leader board to monitor your players individual stats in comparison with the league. Second, no create a player. What were these guys thinking? Most game players love the fact that they can create a player and view his stats with the likes of Hull, Sakic and I'd have to agree with mostly everyone on here and say that this game is pretty bad in many respects. First, there is no leader board to monitor your players individual stats in comparison with the league. Second, no create a player. What were these guys thinking? Most game players love the fact that they can create a player and view his stats with the likes of Hull, Sakic and Modano. EA did a poor job with this one. Expand
  13. GregR.
    Jan 4, 2005
    Been playin this game now since the day it came out, and man is it the sh.tiest nhl game i have ever played, sure the graphics are amazng as usual, but whats with the gui ? its horrible in every way with the music popups over ur buttons, no way to see the goal scoring standings or assists, STILL doesnt have an all star game built in..... (they had that in nhl97...) and WHY do they not Been playin this game now since the day it came out, and man is it the sh.tiest nhl game i have ever played, sure the graphics are amazng as usual, but whats with the gui ? its horrible in every way with the music popups over ur buttons, no way to see the goal scoring standings or assists, STILL doesnt have an all star game built in..... (they had that in nhl97...) and WHY do they not have a break for international championships in the off season during a dynasty? AND HOW does the computer all of a sudden play at 100% in the last minute of a game and all your players cant even connect a pass, Very WEAK stanley cup presentation, no create a player, have to rely on nhlview to help us, GOALIES ALL HAVE WHITE DEFAULT PADS after 8 seasons of dynasty, and how can a player turn 180 degrees and launch into a glass breaking hit? unbelievable, and dont even get me started on the refffereeing! Expand
  14. TerryB.
    Apr 1, 2005
    This game delivers a non-stop, action packed hockey. It includes the best features of EA's NHL series of the last 5 years. Yes, it even has the speed of 2001 and faster. The only reason i docked 2 points is because on game cube there is no Create Player.
  15. TomZ.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Never thought through in terms of menues, gameplay. Stripped of features instead of added to. Hit fest, no attempt at anything approaching a simulation aimed at actual hockey fans. Go back to 2004 and don't bother with this one.
  16. JoeH.
    Oct 14, 2004
    This game has great on ice play but where is create-a-player? Now come on, any sports game has to have a feature where you can create yourself and go to a dynasty and play as yourself and follow thur your career. Madden NFL2005 allows me to do this and I exspected for NHL to have it too.
  17. MikeK.
    Dec 22, 2004
    It's a good graphic and sound game. It's pretty kewl to have the world cup too. But where the hell ia creat-a-player, and playoffs. Come on EA SPORTS pull up your act or else I wont but 2006 if there is one.
  18. JohnC.
    Dec 9, 2004
    Good graphics and sound, but there is computer cheating instead of good AI. It's very possible to dominate an entire game but score only 2 or so goals, meanwhile, the computer will come back in the third with three cheap ones. I quit the game frustrated every single time. Also, they all-but-broke the internet multiplayer - it's much laggier this year, and that's the whole Good graphics and sound, but there is computer cheating instead of good AI. It's very possible to dominate an entire game but score only 2 or so goals, meanwhile, the computer will come back in the third with three cheap ones. I quit the game frustrated every single time. Also, they all-but-broke the internet multiplayer - it's much laggier this year, and that's the whole reason i bought the game. When you also consider that they took out Create-A-Player and that there is no playoff mode unless you finish a regular season, you can see why i think this game is the pits. Get your act together EA. I feel ripped off. Expand
  19. DougE.
    Sep 29, 2004
    This game is horrible! While visuals have improved, nothing else has. First off, the interface is totally unattractive, and is frustrating to use. Its harder to actually sit there and change lines in the coaching screen. You have to switch boxes. Boxes? Whomever thought of that is an idiot. And gameplay leaves me feeling very frustrated. While its good to get the opposing de more This game is horrible! While visuals have improved, nothing else has. First off, the interface is totally unattractive, and is frustrating to use. Its harder to actually sit there and change lines in the coaching screen. You have to switch boxes. Boxes? Whomever thought of that is an idiot. And gameplay leaves me feeling very frustrated. While its good to get the opposing de more aggressive, they are too aggressive. I get hit every single time I just enter the blue line. I cant make a play other than just shoot. Its pretty pathetic. And where is features like create a player? Creating teams to actually IMPORT into dynasty mode? I like the addidtion of the refs and coaches faces...its nice. Again, the visuals are the only good thing about this game. All it boils down to is a hit-fest. This is beyond what arcade hockey should be. Go back to the basics and make it more real next time. I borrowed this game from a friend, and I wont be buying this or anymore titles from EA until they get their act straigth. Piss poor game overall. Expand
  20. JustinJ.
    Apr 19, 2005
    This game is a piece of dog p... They took out all the intricate details of AI customizations so your left with huge skill gaps between Begginer, Easy, Medium and Hard. In fact it's not even a difficulty setting. They should call it a retardation factor. At medium all your player become retarded and can't pass nor avoid any hits. The goalie starts to convulse for no reason. This game is a piece of dog p... They took out all the intricate details of AI customizations so your left with huge skill gaps between Begginer, Easy, Medium and Hard. In fact it's not even a difficulty setting. They should call it a retardation factor. At medium all your player become retarded and can't pass nor avoid any hits. The goalie starts to convulse for no reason. It's no wonder this game is going for 0.99 cents on EBAY. They aslo took out the creat a player function. What idiot decided on that? I guess when the designers and the programmers of this version were on maximun retard mode when they came up with this peice of barf. Expand
  21. JustinK.
    May 17, 2005
    Nice graphics, but I too want to know what the hell happened to create-a-player.
  22. DM
    Dec 4, 2009
    Like the pace, the physics, and the fact that you have to keep moving your feet and thinking one step ahead, just to be able to put it all together once in a while, just like the actual game of hockey at a high level. I don't care about 'create a player', get over yourself already, I would like to see player stats for the league overall not just team x team and had a Like the pace, the physics, and the fact that you have to keep moving your feet and thinking one step ahead, just to be able to put it all together once in a while, just like the actual game of hockey at a high level. I don't care about 'create a player', get over yourself already, I would like to see player stats for the league overall not just team x team and had a problem with theoff season team management, never did get my rookies signed and free agents on my team had outrageous demands,. Also it would've been nice to have the AHL teams included so you manage your farm team to. Overall though, despite some menu probs especially when manually changing lines, the gameplay is real good, I liked it alot! Expand
  23. JimH
    Dec 4, 2009
    The gameplay and graphics are very good. Yes the AI is very aggressive but with a little practice you can learn to control the puck in the zone and make plays. Don't care about Create A Player, and think it's a little (or a lot) pathetic so many do, BUT would like to see league wide stats and that song title thing is annoying.
  24. MattP.
    Dec 25, 2004
    HORRIBLE! Holy smokes Ea sports common. This is sh.t. Where is create a player. what the hell is this. Good Graphics in some areas like faces and stuff but holy god I feel ripped off so bad. I am pissed. Im giving it a 0 and wont be buying 2006!

1. games(TM)
    This is EA's take on NHL action as it's always been, rejigged with improved animations and new moves so it's inevitably the best version yet. [Nov 2004, p.119]
  2. This is still a solid game of hockey, but it isn't the most realistic or best-playing NHL title out there, and as such, it shouldn't be your first choice for one.
    While the game's is an improvement over the 2004 edition, it's still not quite up to snuff.