8.7

1. Oct 29, 2016
    In the first game the missions were very different and funny. In addition I liked the 60s design. Now in the 2nd game such things are gone: the missions are all the same and there is no humour.
    The graphics is great, even today. If you have problems with the mouse acceleration, install mouse drivers and lower dpi. It is a bug with the engine, that is great beside of that.
  2. Oct 25, 2016
    This is one of my favorite old school single player shooters of all time. Great graphics for it's time that hold up surprisingly well even today. Funny characters. Upgradable/customizable main character. I never laughed so much in a PC game. Loved the stealth mechanic and the crossbow! I keep looking back to see if someone will update the graphics and re-release this one. Hope so! If youThis is one of my favorite old school single player shooters of all time. Great graphics for it's time that hold up surprisingly well even today. Funny characters. Upgradable/customizable main character. I never laughed so much in a PC game. Loved the stealth mechanic and the crossbow! I keep looking back to see if someone will update the graphics and re-release this one. Hope so! If you haven't played it look for a bargain bin deal somewhere and pick it up. Every shooter fan should play this! Expand
  3. Jul 9, 2016
    One of my favourite FPS games on PC. Its better than most of the James Bond games. The story is a perfect blend of Bond and the Austin Powers series. I love the fact, that the creators decided to go for tongue in cheek approach. The gameplay itself is very enjoyable, allowing the player to be creative. The game is an engaging, adrenaline filled experience with some puzzles along the way.
  4. Apr 1, 2015
    The game has a lot to offer with puzzles that can be a little bit hard and a great combat and stealth system. The multiplayer dosen`t work that well anymore, but that`s just an extra feature. It was the first FPS i`ve ever played.
  5. Mar 4, 2015
    It baffles me to this day why this game is lauded so immensely , I'm on my second play-through and all I can say is it's a bitter disappointment, especially after the flawlessness of the first one. That one was a charming caper that had all the elements of a 60's spy movie: it had international intrigue, unforgettable characters, and witty humor. Elements that could have rivaled any BondIt baffles me to this day why this game is lauded so immensely , I'm on my second play-through and all I can say is it's a bitter disappointment, especially after the flawlessness of the first one. That one was a charming caper that had all the elements of a 60's spy movie: it had international intrigue, unforgettable characters, and witty humor. Elements that could have rivaled any Bond movie of it's day, albeit with a slightly feminine touch.

The second iteration just doesn't have the same feel, Cate is virtually unrecognizable and the script is lacking. There is hardly any attempt at the dry-wit comedy of the first one (Remember the criminal convos - especially the self psycho-analysis by one of the henchmen as to why he's a criminal , lol) and it quite literally never picks up...it falls flat on it's face without even 'hitting it's target'. Cate has lost all her charm and 'street smarts', and can hardly put a sentence together. It's like the developers decided to dumb down the character for reasons I can only guess at (maybe to appeal to a younger audience?) and instead of the spy diva that enchanted our CRT monitors , and was just so memorable and engaging, we are instead left with a bimbo with a no nonsense attitude and a desire to get the job done ....a one-trick pony. The same goes for Bruno, Mr.Jones and Armstrong....either the scriptwriters got lazy, or they decided to focus on different aspects of the game....

The game itself looks great , even to this day, especially with the widescreen patch. Textures are hi res and I'm really surprised at how well it's held up. The level design is somewhat lackluster though, with levels feeling confined and not as open-world as the first iteration. Santa's workshop has been plucked out completely, so you don't get to test the nifty gadgets before embarking on a mission. You also don't get to customize your weapon arsenal before loading a mission , but design choices have always been perplexing to me.

Lastly, I'll quote another review that kind of hit the nail on the head: No one lives forever "expanded the narrative capacity of the medium, the sequel is just a game". The first script would have given Ian Fleming a run for his money... unfortunately NOLF 2 was a step in the wrong direction, it failed to live up to the high lofty standards set by the first and will forever go down in my personal recollection as one of the worst sequels in the history of PC gaming.
  6. Nov 12, 2014
    TomAto: I`ll tell you what rotting our youth minds: the fuc*ing oversexualized society, multiculturalism, systematic destruction of our freedom and democracy, high society mindfukers and fanatics who telling us how we are wrong. I tell something. There is no power as powerful as power of the light side of the force! this game is one product of that power!! the creation. our dreams ourTomAto: I`ll tell you what rotting our youth minds: the fuc*ing oversexualized society, multiculturalism, systematic destruction of our freedom and democracy, high society mindfukers and fanatics who telling us how we are wrong. I tell something. There is no power as powerful as power of the light side of the force! this game is one product of that power!! the creation. our dreams our souls. our culture is our soul. who stand against that?
    This game lose nothing of quality and specific charm after years. It`s very depended on age trends but is still original. And these two things make game so great, special and still like blockbuster experience.
  7. Aug 20, 2014
    Maybe the most underrated game of all time.

Absolutely sublime from start to finish. Funny while remaining serious. Think I'll reinstall. One of the greatest examples of all time of substance over style. And its got more style and surprises than a supermodel's birthday cake. Whatever that meant, if you are even moderately interested in action/stealth and love games that push
    Maybe the most underrated game of all time.

Absolutely sublime from start to finish. Funny while remaining serious.

Whatever that meant, if you are even moderately interested in action/stealth and love games that push beyond the routine, buy this now.
  8. Feb 5, 2014
    From a sequel standpoint? It has done no wrongeth. The trouble with Cate Archer's character here, is lack of consistent substance that actually made her back-chatter reasonably charming and subsequently funny. Their seems to be a whole lot more tongue in cheek here, but to a degree that I found less endearing. It starts off with the campy flavor of Japan, accompanied by stealthilyFrom a sequel standpoint? It has done no wrongeth. The trouble with Cate Archer's character here, is lack of consistent substance that actually made her back-chatter reasonably charming and subsequently funny. Their seems to be a whole lot more tongue in cheek here, but to a degree that I found less endearing. It starts off with the campy flavor of Japan, accompanied by stealthily fighting all-female ninjas, and general espionage. When the plot starts rolling though, you might be winded by the tedious (and I might add somewhat linear and small) level design. Or the enemy A.I. being much less fun to actually engage in a shoot-out with, or most of the weapons being identical in nature and less usage of gadgets throughout and you may as well add that it doesn't bring anything new to the table when compared to its predecessor. The visuals have received a minor face-lift, but not much else has changed. The writing is certainly far less funny than the original and due to the pacing in-game, you may not have the patience to sit and listen to half the guards or enemies bang on and on until they hit punchline territory. What really bothered me though was the fact that after the first two chapters of the game, I began to dread shoot-outs. Color me stupid if this was the intent, but then in sections later on in the game, they practically force you into slow, cumbersome shootouts that are surprisingly not fun. Believe me, compared to shooting an unsuspecting guard with a silenced pistol, carrying his body to a shady area, and knowing that no one saw that is far more gratifying than seventy percent of the "scripted" shoot outs. Though I understand it to be "parody" its just not as funny or as satisfying as our original adventure with Cate Archer and U.N.I.T.Y. However, the truly miserable thing here, is the general laziness that carries you through till about chapter seven or eight. Its just not fun to play near the beginning, which is what the original didn't have any issue with. Its far too much "don't get spotted," Or "don't get caught," and all the while you just start thinking. "Wow I'm a patient person, but this is kind of boring." Their is delight fully charming Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever, and then theirs silent, boring, less charming, less funny Cate Archer from this sequel. Of course their are memorable moments of the game, but even Monoliths early work concentrated on making it enjoyable to curb stomp enemies with your bullet shoes. Something is just off about most of the action in the game, a lot of it also has some pretty tricky situations in levels that really just cannot be defended by anybody. Such as in some missions it asks of you to fulfill "optional" objectives. Are these spelled out in terms of how to fulfill them? No. It is kind of an issue though when a developer throws in a slight curve ball like a role playing game mechanic. Cate can "upgrade" certain traits, such as marksmanship or stealth, based on intelligence she founds through out missions, or by fulfilling all objectives, including optional ones and this is a problem. Some are just not worth doing, are hard to find, require a deeper analysis of a tiny linear level, or are just frustrating. You need some of these upgrades, should you play on any harder difficulties, but also to get past a certain troubling section that consists of a "chase sequence" on tricycle. Enemy A.I. goes from way to alert to absolutely stupid as well, having issues with ladders, not detecting Cate at all, being alarmingly good at detecting Cate from vastly ridiculous distances and so on. I'll stick with the first game, as it balances the camp, the parody, and the action a lot better than this one. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2013
    One of the funniest game ever played...
    But there is too many bugs in gameplay and graphics is too poor
    let's hope there will be NOLF 3 in future with good graphics and gameplay
  10. Nov 20, 2012
    Why don't they make first person shooters with this much personality anymore? It's ten years after it's release and I enjoy this more than any shooter from the last few years. I tend to ignore most FPS games now, expecting them to be shallow, repetitive and lacking any real character, but not NOLF2. It's got more personality and more of an enjoyment factor than all of the CoD (or whateverWhy don't they make first person shooters with this much personality anymore? It's ten years after it's release and I enjoy this more than any shooter from the last few years. I tend to ignore most FPS games now, expecting them to be shallow, repetitive and lacking any real character, but not NOLF2. It's got more personality and more of an enjoyment factor than all of the CoD (or whatever other FPS games are popular nowadays) wrapped into one. Expand
  11. Oct 2, 2011
    A truly masterpiece! Better than the first game. Play it!
  12. Feb 14, 2011
    I still recall this as one of the best FPS I've ever played. I would love to see this IP revisited with a new game. Great storyline, stealth modes and spy gadgets. It was as close as you can get to being in a 60's spy movie.
  13. RazvanT.
    Feb 7, 2007
    It's a amazing game, one of the best shooters in the world. The graphics, the posibilitys you have, the adrenaline ... it just makes you fell your the character and the gameplay lets it all happend.
  14. ShawnH.
    Jan 9, 2006
    NOLF 2 is a fun game, but I felt that something was missing from this sequel. NOLF 2 is shorter than the original and is more compact. For example, instead of steadily advancing to a new area, the player is sometimes required to backtrack to previously explored areas, artificially extending the game. One of the great things about the original NOLF are the NPC conversations that the player NOLF 2 is a fun game, but I felt that something was missing from this sequel. NOLF 2 is shorter than the original and is more compact. For example, instead of steadily advancing to a new area, the player is sometimes required to backtrack to previously explored areas, artificially extending the game. One of the great things about the original NOLF are the NPC conversations that the player can eavesdrop on. In this sequel, the conversations are few and far between. Dialogue between NPC's such as H.A.R.M. henchman or citizens of the town add a lot of depth and humor to the game, and more of these conversations would have served the game well. Instead, the writers chose to use more memo's, letters and notes that are scattered about the level. I personally enjoy the conversations more. Hearing a henchman talk about the hardships of the criminal lifestyle or discussing criminal psychology with a colleague are great tools for comedy, especially when the voice-acting is good. Graphics and sound are good. The only major graphical glitch I found was in the underground cave lair. The cave textures would disappear depending on where I was standing. Also, some clipping was evident when bad guys died near doors. Very minor stuff, in my view. Sound is good, and voice acting is good, but not great. The cutscenes were OK, but some of the dialogue is weak. For example, the antagonism between Cate Archer and Armstrong was strained and tiresome. The writers did not put very much effort in fleshing out the story and relationships between the characters. The hostility between Cate and Armstrong is a theme carried foward from the first NOLF. Because it is not placed in context and explained fully, the dialogue seems forced. I would recommend NOLF 2 but suggest playing NOLF first. Playing the original will help explain some of the events in the sequel. Expand
  15. HaraldW.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Hi I'm Harald, and I'm a NOLF2 addict.
  16. AmigoZ.
    May 25, 2005
    Its old but is ok.
  17. OdinoO.
    Dec 16, 2004
    Truly remarkable game, has a lot to offer and plenty to find in every mission. AI could be more clever, and not simply find soldiers talking random stuff about red tape when they know there are 5 guys lying on the floor... No matter, this game has it all and can be finished in stealth or brute force if required.
  18. LinseyB.
    Jul 8, 2004
    I loved this game. when I first saw it I thought oh this will be a great game I loved it!!!!!!
  19. TimLaM.
    Mar 23, 2004
    You see that the makers really wanted to make a nice game.
  20. TC
    Feb 12, 2004
    It's only half as long and half as funny as the original. But it has beautiful graphics, a dizzying variety in surroundings, great AI. The Indian police chases make for a truly unique experience.
  21. AnnChovi
    May 1, 2003
    Well, I hate many games, but this one was okay.
  22. TomAto
    May 1, 2003
    PC/Video games can be fun, but they are rotting our youths minds. I have never played this game, but my vote is a 0 as I believe you people should be finding more worthwhile and perhaps educational things to do. In any case, thank you for reading this, and do not take this comment personally, as it is simply my thoughtful, yet perhaps completely false opinion.
  23. EtaL.
    Apr 19, 2003
    Simply the best. Only game I play in half a year.
  24. Doggy82
    Mar 24, 2003
    Great game :-)
    Feb 19, 2003
    Best game of 2002 ...best graphics and best a.i...the ohio and the syberia missions are tremendous...ah..and great humor.
  26. MORT
    Nov 26, 2002
    Brilliant. just bloody brilliant, the best game I've ever played. the ai is superb, the interface is well thought out and intuitive, and the graphics are the best I've seen yet.
  27. JohnL.
    Nov 23, 2002
    Amazing graphics, funny, tons of weapons/gadgets, unique missions, interactive environments... what more can I say? You need a fast computer though.
  28. MuffinMan
    Nov 21, 2002
    Awesome. and the harm guy looks like mr mellor who is my chemistry teacher - he has a huge red nose.
  29. GP
    Nov 5, 2002
    Graphics and sound are top notch. The loading time is a disgrace, i can feel my life wasting away as I wait for the damn thing to load, the enemies have good AI but they use them so badly, and they respawn. Bottom line: great game that they made annoying
  30. GodenP.
    Nov 5, 2002
    Amazing graphics and sound. The most tedious loading time EVER. The enemies just respawn, got annoying.
  31. JoeyB.
    Oct 29, 2002
    This game would be great if the idiots at Sierra would have fixed all of the sound bugs before releasing it. Great graphics and gameplay. My boyfriend Aaron hates it.
  32. JasonM.
    Oct 24, 2002
    Doesn't hold a candle to the original; too short, too tedious, and NO DEATHMATCH OR CTF. What were they thinking?
  33. Storm
    Oct 24, 2002
    Not bad, but the respawning enemies suck.
  34. GBNR
    Oct 11, 2002
    I thought this game was lame. It is an exhausted concept.
  35. GabeS.
    Oct 2, 2002
    NOLF II has great graphics and the AI is amazing!

1. If it sounds like NOLF2 is a lot like NOLF, and you're wondering why I'm complaining so bitterly, you have my sympathy. When I say they "gutted" NOLF2, I mean it, and I can back it up.
  2. A bloody good game... If you like first person shooters and have a sense of humour, the only other thing to stop you playing this game is the central role of a pink-suited woman. Are you man enough?
    Nearly flawless visuals and truly immersive sound make sure you’re having fun even when you’re not shooting.