7.8

1. Mar 29, 2015
    Abe's Oddysee was one of my all time favourite games when I was a but a mini-gamer. Now they have gone and remade the game for today's market and new fangled technology!

It still has all the essence of the original, just with a face-lift and a few difficulty concessions - Which are welcomed. I won't lie, i never completed the game as a child without cheats, despite it being one of my all time favourite games, which is why i am happy i can now play it to completion! If you're a hardcore Abe fan and won't take anything less than the original difficulty, then there is a Hard mode, which brings you closer to the original experience.

Overall, other than a few audio bugs (Which don't detract from the game thanks to visual cues), this games is amazing and i am having a blast! Well done JAW!
  2. Apr 25, 2015
    It's a really enjoyable adventure game full with puzzles and action. The puzzles are not very hard to be solved and with the changeable difficulty the game becomes easy in actions. I'm glad they kept a difficulty original to the Abe's Oddysee, something for those who are familiar with the game. Compared to the original game I have to say the movement was better in the old one because itIt's a really enjoyable adventure game full with puzzles and action. The puzzles are not very hard to be solved and with the changeable difficulty the game becomes easy in actions. I'm glad they kept a difficulty original to the Abe's Oddysee, something for those who are familiar with the game. Compared to the original game I have to say the movement was better in the old one because it was faster and instant, but not as realistic as in the new one. The quick-save option kinda ruins the point of the checkpoints, but it can also make the game easier for those who aren't looking for too much challenge. There were some bugs here and there, but it's hard to find them and not very game-changing. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2015
    Oddworld Inhabitants have been the secret gem of the game development world for almost twenty years. I remember getting Abe's Odyssey for the PS1 and just falling in love with everything about this game. The environment, the characters, the storyline, the struggles. Everything is executed to such perfection. Being able to relive those memories on the new systems with updated graphics is aOddworld Inhabitants have been the secret gem of the game development world for almost twenty years. I remember getting Abe's Odyssey for the PS1 and just falling in love with everything about this game. The environment, the characters, the storyline, the struggles. Everything is executed to such perfection. Being able to relive those memories on the new systems with updated graphics is a dream come true. Reboot status: epic. Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2015
    The PC version has proven more than i hoped for and yet stays so true to the original. This game stands as a testament to how remakes should be done, but sadly rarely are.
  5. Mar 2, 2015
    I was pleasantly surprised with this version. It's fun, it's addictive and the graphics are really nice. Abe is as cute as it gets. If you wanna kill some time and relax, this might be worth checking. :)
  6. Mar 20, 2015
    Having played through the original Abe's Oddysee, I was interested in playing it in its new light. I was definitely pleased. The updating of the game was well done, perfect in fact.
  7. Feb 26, 2015
    This game sure brings up some good memories visuals cut scenes but what made the original best hit was the simplicity of it abe's every action sound it all was like real you felt everything despite the it's years but now the magic has gone and has been replaced with visuals and that''s it it does'nt feel like original even the chant is different for me is just a plattform game
  8. Jun 3, 2015
    Old & Nasty... This 12-year-old re-heat has long passed it's sell-by date.
    If you're nostalgic, get an emulator but don't waste money on a slightly polished t*rd that still suffers the same control issues of the original.
  9. Apr 2, 2015
    On PS1 is was one of the best games. but now - I don't like Abe's new voice. they made it worse. controls were better in original game. and my i5 with 8Gb Ram can't run the game smooth. I had to make smaller resolution and turn off all the effects. It's better to play the original title.
  10. Dec 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD!

And I love it. I used to play this game so wrong. I didn't care about other Mudokons and always was killing them in different ways. But hey I was probably too young. Now at the age of a quarter century we can play this masterpiece with better graphics and updated sounds.

Granted the easy and medium modes are no fun because there are no one hit kills anymore. But that's what hard-mode is for. And I immediately played on hard. After finishing it once I had rescued less than half and was left with a "what the hell" moment. To my surprise I found out that there were more puzzles, more secret areas. Areas I didn't knew existed when I was younger.

Thanks Oddworld for this remake and I am patiently waiting for a reboot of Abe's Exoddus
  11. Oct 11, 2015
    The Oddworld franchise, at least the first two that starred Abe, are some of my most favorite games of all time. Back in the day I found them to be as moving and beautiful (not to mention really smart, entertaining, and challenging) as any game I'd ever played up to that point. For the most part, my views haven't really changed, except for the part about me thinking the original first twoThe Oddworld franchise, at least the first two that starred Abe, are some of my most favorite games of all time. Back in the day I found them to be as moving and beautiful (not to mention really smart, entertaining, and challenging) as any game I'd ever played up to that point. For the most part, my views haven't really changed, except for the part about me thinking the original first two are beautiful. They still are, but they have to be remembered in the context of what all video games looked like 15 to 20 years ago. With this in mind, one can probably imagine how excited I was to find out they were recreating at least the first one with up-to-date graphics. I will say that this is still a fantastic game, and I really appreciate that they've even added to it a little bit. I also hope they keep remaking these. For all the negatives I'm about to throw down, I'd still buy an updated Abe's Exoddus.

When I first started playing New N' Tasty, almost immediately I noticed something was different. For all that they added, they seemed to take quite a bit away from it as well, which changes the soul of the game in a subtle and not-always-appreciated way. Maybe it's the fact that they've gone somewhat away from its 2D sideview to give it slightly more visual depth and perspective (which I don't particularly care for). Maybe it's that the controller layout is somewhat different for this iteration (which I also don't really like). But one thing that REALLY stands out right away is that while the graphics are many, many times better than the original, the sound effects are substantially lacking compared to 17 years ago(!?!). The deep, almost didgeridoo-like sound underneath Abe's chanting is quite a bit less noticeable. The machine guns carried by the sligs sound like little cap guns now, where as in the original they had some beef to their pops (also, I don't think you can shoot across open chasms from a distant catwalk to one in the foreground anymore, which is a huge bummer because I always enjoyed picking off sligs up close). Basically, I was hoping this would be just a visually updated version of the original, but sadly, it is not (at least not enough to my liking).

The strength of my grade for this game is based on my love of the original. I can't say this New N' Tasty really succeeded in giving me the warm fuzzies. It came close though.
  12. Apr 26, 2015
    Played the original and loved it - played the remake and loved it even more. A wonderful game - tough enough on normal mode (thanks be for the new save feature) but still do-able for those of us that are all thumbs.

Now where can I get my very own Elum???
  13. Feb 16, 2016
    Man, I wanted to like this game so bad. I've known about the game since my childhood but never played it. Now that the HD version hit the store, I gave it a shot. But there is one fatal flaw: the gamepad controls. Here's mys experience using a wireless XBox 360 controller (user experience varies depending on gamepad used and on sheer luck) 1. If I use the default XBox 360 controllerMan, I wanted to like this game so bad. I've known about the game since my childhood but never played it. Now that the HD version hit the store, I gave it a shot. But there is one fatal flaw: the gamepad controls. Here's mys experience using a wireless XBox 360 controller (user experience varies depending on gamepad used and on sheer luck) 1. If I use the default XBox 360 controller settings, I can't 'chant', which is an integral part of the gameplay. 2. Setting up a custom controller mapping makes it so that whenever I go into aim mode, Abe automatically turns to the right and stays locked, which means that I can never throw things to the left of me. 3. Using keyboard controlls and overwriting them with a gamepad to keyboard mapping program is dissatisfactory.

Since nothing helps to make the gamepad work and playing a platformer with the keyboard would mean I would be going straight to hell, I can only give this game another shot once the devs fix this egregious problem. Until then, I can't recommend it.
  14. Feb 7, 2016
    I am so happy, that this game exists, it is so cool and funny. I recommend it to everobody who knows Abe and to everybody who doesn´t, but wants to know :-) Sometimes frustrating, but balanced with lots of fun. And that surroundings! Wonderful world of Oddworld! :-) Nice...

1. May 15, 2015
    It’s a great reason to (re)visit Abe and his odd world, especially if you haven’t played the original game.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 10, 2015
    Sly-looking puzzle platformer that has lot to say even eighteen years after the first release. If you didn't know the original, you wouldn’t recognize this one is a remake. [Issue#251]
  3. PC Gamer
    Mar 27, 2015
    If you've never played an Oddworld, this is the best place to start. [Apr 2015, p.56]