4.8

1. Apr 26, 2011
    I personally think that operation flashpoint: Red River got a amazing campaign part. I was very captured by the way it was set up, and the co-op when you play with friends or persons you do not know is great fun. And now that you have some levels to build on your character makes you wanna play the same missions over and over.
    But I must disagree with CM taking out the mission editor, which
    But I must disagree with CM taking out the mission editor, which one of the greatest parts of the game. I surely hope that they will make some DLC for that, or maybe a expansion pack that contains more maps and more campaign options.
    All in all a good game that lacks the part of the players being able to create own material.
  2. Jun 15, 2011
    I specifically signed up on metacritic just to submit this review. Red River is a significant improvement over Dragon Rising. I even reinstalled DR just to be sure. I DO miss the editor, but even that was not great in DR compared to ARMA 2. The movement and control of your people is much more accurate and just feels better then in DR where I feel like I'm walking around in mud. TheI specifically signed up on metacritic just to submit this review. Red River is a significant improvement over Dragon Rising. I even reinstalled DR just to be sure. I DO miss the editor, but even that was not great in DR compared to ARMA 2. The movement and control of your people is much more accurate and just feels better then in DR where I feel like I'm walking around in mud. The re-playability is terrific and makes you want to try the different soldier classes just to be able to unlock more weapon options. The tracer ricochet effects are well done as are the echo effects of the guns firing. There are some annoyances however such as: you can't skip the long ingress or egress of the missions where you have to listen to Knox rambling about his 10 rules to live by while riding in the back of your transport, be it a chopper or truck. You CAN skip the campaign intro movies however. Another issue and perhaps the biggest in the game (yes even after the latest patch) is the trouble of your AI constantly walking in front of you while you are engaging the enemy. I wish the dev's would/could make it so that if you are aiming, the squad AI wouldn't move in front of you. They HAVE fixed the issue with your squad AI not taking cover when being attacked. At least it's significantly better then before the patch! I find the best option when playing with AI controlled squad-mates is to just tell them to hold position at a nearby wall or structure. That seems to keep them safe'ish and out of your way! The scenic vistas are well done as is the heat effect coming from the ground. Really makes it feel more believable. I even like the banter between the different company's: Alpha, Bravo (you), and Charlie. The real focus of the game is the multiplayer, in which case you don't have to worry about the issues I mentioned regarding the AI. If you want to take a break from the fairly lengthy campaign missions there are a number of Fire Team Engagements for you to test your skills in both single and multiplayer. Sometimes it's a nice change, and the missions for the most part are much shorter, but you can still level up you character! Almost every time I play the game I see something new that impresses me. You'll see enemies come to the aid of others who are down but not dead, and you're own squad mates will actually USE a grenade launcher if so equipped to take out a vehicle or whatnot. It's really quite impressive when you see them switch to their secondary weapon to clear a building if it's more appropriate. There are still some issues that need to be addressed, but for someone who likes an FPS with a modern combat focus this is a great option. Expand
  3. Sep 8, 2011
    Not being a fan of the previous incarnations I have been pleasantly surprised by this title. The shooting is realistic, the enviroments are vast and the interactions between you and your team are priceless. The interface can take a little getting used to but I have to say that this is the most fun I have had with a game all year and that includes Shogun 2, Deus Ex and all the other bigNot being a fan of the previous incarnations I have been pleasantly surprised by this title. The shooting is realistic, the enviroments are vast and the interactions between you and your team are priceless. The interface can take a little getting used to but I have to say that this is the most fun I have had with a game all year and that includes Shogun 2, Deus Ex and all the other big titles. Get this game, unless you are racist and get offended easily by marine-speak. Expand
  4. Jun 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply the best single player or coop game I have ever played. I am genuinely angry at how underrated this game is.
    To understand what makes this such a fantastic game first we have to look at what is wrong with FPS games today. Due to limited space I shall focus on the market leader Call of Duty. Cod 4 was unarguably a masterpiece but every Cod since has simply been a re-branded multiplayer, new maps, new weapons and prettier. And an ever weaker campaign; lots of explosions, ships sinking, buildings collapsing; dynamic events which should spice up game play, but in practice force you to follow a much more linear path through the battlefield. These melodramatic, poorly written, repetitive scenes suck time and money from more important things like game play. Granted call of duty have had a few good game ideas like zombies and spec ops aswell as tank missions but these just compete for space. Why not make some slightly original games out of these. The last good tank game I played was from the 90s.
    If only there was a game like the much more understated (yes I admit a nuclear bomb goes off in your face at one point,) Cod 4. A shooter that is fun because you enjoy shooting things and being the SAS not because you sink a fleet, crash a train, watch chemical weapons used on kids, visit just about every capital city you'd ever want to, blow up a castle and whatever. It's too much!
    Red River gives you 10 missions each lasting a good hour to get to know your character and environment, a small war where you can understand whats going on and feel like you're making a difference. Crucially unlike Cod you actually feel threatened by your enemy, not because you really believe they just gassed most of Europe and have a lot of ships for you to blow up. But because getting shot is actually sorta serious. One shot can and does kill, even if it doesn't you can't just hide behind a wall you have to take time to heal yourself, and while your doing that the enemy is closing in, fast. And when they get close they are really dangerous. So much so that you find yourself avoiding close combat except when you have no choice. You slowly, carefully inch round corners not daring to breathe and when eventually you come to a corner with an enemy behind. That fraction of a second in which you must take them down is infinitely more satisfying or more frustrating even than the multiplayer on Cod 4, yes it wasn't another player but it took you 10 minutes to get here not 10 seconds after your 10th respawn this match.
    And dying really does matter not just because of fewer checkpoints or limited lives in some game modes but because it counts! Just to tell you how s*** you are! The shame when I reached 200 deaths, the statistic floating across the loading screen infront of my friends and family.
    The other complaints I have about the Cod campaigns now are length and linearity. Linearity means all playthroughs are the same diminishing replay value meaning you get less time enjoying the game.
    While not a true sandbox Flashpoint has huge open maps. Which allow you to plan, flank, snipe, and use your team how you want. In other words you engage your brain rather than just pointing shooting and following.
    Moving swiftly on; playtime; it took me around 50 hours to fully level up my classes, I now have well over 100 hours play time. Point is I still haven't got bored. Now if you only play through it once how long will it take. A sensible time to complete the campaign and side missions would be no less than 15 hours. Additionally if you want to get gold medals on everything it will take you at least the better part of 50 hours.
    So why are there so many bad reviews? There are five reasons for this.
    Firstly as an FPS a lot of players who try it enjoy Cod or the ridiculous dragon rising and their expectation is for the game to be like those so they are naturally disappointed.
    Secondly the difficulty. You cannot throw yourself around you have to learn a new play style and it is quite easy to come off Cod and find it hard at first.
    Thirdly something that annoys me; un skippable and rather lengthy briefs obviously intended to build tension but they get boring.
    Fourth vehicular game play; there are several rather annoying issues with the transport vehicles in the game however these only make up a small fraction of game play and are rarely mission essential.
    Finally glitches. There are quite a few; mostly AI getting stuck. However the reason this is annoying is unlike in other games where they might show you the way or open a door the AI in flash point are useful in a firefight.
    Other than the issues mentioned previously I feel the game would benefit from more intelligent enemies and yet more maps and missions.
    Despite my criticisms this is the most fun game I own and that is all a game is for, that is why it is so far ahead of the overly self important Cod, and it is steadily gaining a cult following.

1. Oct 20, 2011
    Neither Flashpoint nor as bad as some say. It is fairly entertaining but surprisingly unambitious milsim light. [May 2011]
  2. Jul 7, 2011
    If you are into shooters, then there are definitely better titles than this one. Operation Flashpoint: Red River suffers from slow pacing and too much time not even taking part in firefights. It deals more with having you playing Nurse Nightingale healing yourself and your team than a death-dealing marine. If that sounds like your idea of a good time, then go nuts.
  3. Jun 23, 2011
    Operation Flashpoint: Red River manages to establish the franchise between the traditional adrenaline-based Call of Duties and the simulation-based gameplay from the Armed Assault series. It´s at its best as a co-op tactical shooter, and could have gained even more ground on its rivals with better visuals, a slightly improved AI and more variation in the level design.