8.7

1. Jul 21, 2014
    If you are seriously bored enough to manage a baseball team then you can play this terrible piece of **** I can't believe this series even started who the hell thought a baseball management sim would be fun! btw it takes forever to load even though it has nothing special to load. overall 0/10 do not get this hunk of crap.
  2. Feb 12, 2014
    The best sports simulation game on the market today. If you want to be a GM or on-field manager, this is the game for you. This isn't a game like MLB: The Show where you will actually be playing the game as a player, it is strictly a management sim.

However, if this is your type of game, it is absolutely the best at what it does. You can play any historical season starting from 1871, and you can essentially build a new history of baseball. You can also add any number of other leagues (Nippon Professional Baseball in Japan, for example) and play fictional or current modern day leagues as well.

The databases used bring almost every single player who has ever appeared in the major leagues, and you can get other user-done databases that will bring in Negro Leaguers, old Pacific Coast Leaguers, and so many more to the table.

If you are any kind of a fan of the history of baseball, or just love to manage baseball, this is the game for you. The mod community allows you to get pretty much any team logo, uniforms, and photos and what they call FaceGen's for pretty much any player who has ever played.

Don't pay any attention to some of the troll reviews. It isn't an on-the-field game, but it doesn't need to be. Any baseball nut is missing out if they don't play this game, and they've been making new versions for well over a decade now. Great support AND community!
  3. Feb 10, 2014
    If you enjoy Baseball and like a cerebral management game as opposed to an arcade type game, there is no better game than OOTP and version 14 is the best of the series. It takes a bit of investment but that little investment pays many dividends. I have probably got more of my moneys worth out of this game than any other I own...and sports games are not my favorite genre!
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    If you are a die-hard fan who has been following baseball his whole life -- this game will change your life. It is that good. Without exaggeration, one of the most absorbing, constantly surprising, absurdly fun games I have played in any genre. Although not for the faint-hearted -- it certainly requires some patience and manual / forum reading to learn. But once you get a sense of theIf you are a die-hard fan who has been following baseball his whole life -- this game will change your life. It is that good. Without exaggeration, one of the most absorbing, constantly surprising, absurdly fun games I have played in any genre. Although not for the faint-hearted -- it certainly requires some patience and manual / forum reading to learn. But once you get a sense of the sheer scope and flexibility of what you can do, you will be hooked, and astounded. Want to manage your favorite 'real life' MLB team? Or do you just want to GM? Or manage your favorite MLB team with entirely fictional players? Or do you want to manage in Double-A ball? Or create an entirely fictional league? Or manage the 1973 Mets? Or have independent North American, Japanese, Taiwanese, Venezuelan major leagues, where free agents can move from one league to the next? Or have high school feeder teams that provide prospects for your drafts? Or have your scouts concentrate on Cuban prospects? Eliminate the DH? Shorten the season to 156 games? Have the Rule 5 draft? ...the list is pretty much inexhaustible. Basically, if it can be done in real baseball, it can be done in OOTP. Enough reading though -- if you love baseball, I mean really love it, stop deliberating and just buy this game. You will not regret it...although your significant other might... Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2014
    There has been a lot written about the "steep learning curve". Don't worry about that. The learning curve is no steeper than any other comparable game. While you can set up your league however you want (which means lots of options to learn), there are quickstart options to get you going immediately. From there, if you are considering buying a game of this type, then you are alreadyThere has been a lot written about the "steep learning curve". Don't worry about that. The learning curve is no steeper than any other comparable game. While you can set up your league however you want (which means lots of options to learn), there are quickstart options to get you going immediately. From there, if you are considering buying a game of this type, then you are already expecting to spend some time with the game learning it all. Once you get going, you're going to WANT those options.

The game is quite addicting, with the effect that other "just one more turn" games can have. Judging from the game's forums, people have been playing this game daily for years (granted, through several versions of the game). Compare that to story driven games that last a couple of days to a week, or first person shoot-ems that gets boring after only a few weeks.

I gave the game a 9 since there are some rough edges that could be smoothed out or implemented better. But to be fair, I can't think of any game that's better in this genre. If you want to finagle trades, pour over stats, and be a baseball mogul, this is absolutely your game!
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is realistic, incredibly customizable, and really lets you play baseball in any way you want, whether that is running the latest season of MLB, historical seasons, creating fictional leagues of your own, or playing international leagues. It's an amazing game if you like baseball and baseball stats, and well worth a look.
  7. Dec 31, 2013
    If you enjoy baseball, you will fall in love with OOTP. It's worth noting right off the bat that this is not your typical baseball game. There aren't graphics or animations, and you don't actually play out the games yourself. Rather, it's more of a text sim that puts you in the role of owner, manager, and coach, allowing you to build and manage every aspect of a baseball franchise in aIf you enjoy baseball, you will fall in love with OOTP. It's worth noting right off the bat that this is not your typical baseball game. There aren't graphics or animations, and you don't actually play out the games yourself. Rather, it's more of a text sim that puts you in the role of owner, manager, and coach, allowing you to build and manage every aspect of a baseball franchise in a real or fictional league. The depth of the game is enormous. You can set up a league that takes place in the current day MLB, or start in 1957 with all the proper teams and players, or simply create your own fictional league with its own structure, teams, and players. Or a fictional league with MLB players. Don’t like minor leagues? Don’t have them. Got a custom logo for a custom team? Upload it and the game will use it. If you want MLB logos or actual player pictures, there are free downloads for them. If you don’t like the current playoff structure or schedule, you can edit both to suit your needs. Want to play out every game for a season? Go ahead. But if you’d rather take the reins for a 30-year career as manager, you can do that, too. Or play for 100 years. Or 200. The game will keep generating fictional players for as long as you want to play. You can sim through a game, or a week, or a year, or manage every game on a play-by-play basis. Literally the entire game is at your fingertips, to be edited and played as you see fit.

Yeah, the game has the occasional bizarre AI decision, but it’s to be expected, just like in any strategy game, and honestly, it happens far less often than most games. The amount of work and care that goes into every iteration of the game is just phenomenal. It's a must-have for any baseball fan.
  8. Dec 30, 2013
    This is one of the best baseball sims ever. I mean it's not for everybody. Don't expect to go into this game swinging the bat as Hunter Pence and twitching a controller to get the perfect 100+ mph fastball as Aroldis Chapman. Do expect to be able to manage your teams finances, control lineups, trade for players, draft, and learn more about the front office in baseball and have fun whileThis is one of the best baseball sims ever. I mean it's not for everybody. Don't expect to go into this game swinging the bat as Hunter Pence and twitching a controller to get the perfect 100+ mph fastball as Aroldis Chapman. Do expect to be able to manage your teams finances, control lineups, trade for players, draft, and learn more about the front office in baseball and have fun while you do it. Amazing detail, amazing game. If you love baseball, then this is the game for you. Expand
  9. Dec 30, 2013
    After I bought OOTP a few years back, I stopped playing all other games all together. OOTP is an extremely realistic baseball simulation game where you're given the option to play out each game or sim seasons at a time. You have complete control of your leagues and can do just about anything a Major League GM, commissioner, or manager could do. Buy it now and don't regret it.
  10. Dec 30, 2013
    A very detailed, advanced simulation of professional baseball, both the on-field game and (perhaps a little less successfully) the financial side of the sport.

You can play any current major league team, or any team from any year in the past. You can also play a fictional team in a fictional league. You can play games out in detail, or you can "fast sim" any number of games at a time, from one to entire seasons. The options are beyond your imagination want to play a league in Thailand, where the roster size is 28, they don't use the options rule, and batting averages are high? A little experience with the setup options, and you will be able to do exactly that.

The draft and player development are quite realistic, and if you play with scouting on your personnel decisions will be just as complex as those found in real life.

Lots of multi-player online leagues are available, easily located on the game's website. I'm rating the game as a whole a 9, thinking of single player. Online mult-player is a 10+

It's a text based sim, so you are not watching live action, but the player pictures are pretty good.

A world of customizable stats are available, supporting very deep strategy.

Downsides:
    1) The user interface remains somewhat less than intuitive. You'll probably struggle with where to find things for the first hour or two.

2) A few features never seem to work quite as well as the rest of the game trading, AI opponent logic, feeder leagues.

3) This is a very small operation, and, as a result, response time to technical problems can be kind of slow... although one can get some kinds of help on the forum but don't post blunt negatives there, the crowd on that board can be fiercely protective if they feel criticism of the game is unwarranted.
  11. Dec 30, 2013
    This version of OOTP offers a number of improvements to the core game, including an even stronger statistical model that helps the simulated players develop exactly as you would hope inconsistently but realistically. Definite buy for any fantasy baseball guy or gal.
  12. Dec 30, 2013
    If you are a baseball fan, OOTP is an absolute must-own. There are so many different ways to play this game, and all are wonderfully detailed and immersive. Want to start a game with the 2013 Boston Red Sox and try to recreate their championship run? You can do it in one click. Want to create a fictional baseball league with 16 teams that all play in different countries and haveIf you are a baseball fan, OOTP is an absolute must-own. There are so many different ways to play this game, and all are wonderfully detailed and immersive. Want to start a game with the 2013 Boston Red Sox and try to recreate their championship run? You can do it in one click. Want to create a fictional baseball league with 16 teams that all play in different countries and have completely different rules than the MLB? You can do that too. The customization of this game is incredible, and replayability is endless. Give the demo a shot, I guarantee you will be hooked before long. Expand
  13. Dec 30, 2013
    The most addictive, Immersive, customisable baseball simulation I've ever played...whether replaying baseball history or creating an alternative baseball reality.
  14. Dec 30, 2013
    If you are a fan of baseball and baseball games then this game is a must have. I have played baseball games on platforms such as Nintendo, PlayStation and PC. NONE of those games come as close to the pure realism and pure entertainment as OOTP Baseball has. You can customize OOTP to suite your baseball style. Plus, the optional add-ons the can be downloaded from the Add-On Central can onlyIf you are a fan of baseball and baseball games then this game is a must have. I have played baseball games on platforms such as Nintendo, PlayStation and PC. NONE of those games come as close to the pure realism and pure entertainment as OOTP Baseball has. You can customize OOTP to suite your baseball style. Plus, the optional add-ons the can be downloaded from the Add-On Central can only enhance your game world. These add-ons contain things such as team and league logos, ballcaps, jerseys, player faces, ballparks. Most games when they load are boring, aren't they? Well, OOTP baseball even provides quotes from real former players and managers and baseball tidbits while your game is loading! Bottom line: The possibilities with OOTP baseball are endless. OOTP baseball is your baseball universe customize it the way you like it! Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2013
    OOTP is not only the best baseball text sim, but also the best sports text sim.

Love its depth, customizability, and flexibility. Creating fictional baseball worlds, with its own customizable features in terms of rules, schedules, league modifiers, finances, face gens, jerseys, etc.) is a breeze in OOTP, and can't be matched by any other game (as far as I know). Your imagination is
    OOTP is not only the best baseball text sim, but also the best sports text sim.

Your imagination is the only limit when you play OOTP!
  16. Dec 29, 2013
    OOTP gets better every year. It might not do or be absolutely everything to anyone, but it seems like every year there's at least something big and new for most. Unfortunately I don't have the time to play OOTP as much I used to, but I do recognize that it is better every year. I do worry that it might be too complicated or detailed for newcomers, but we keep seeing plenty of new people inOOTP gets better every year. It might not do or be absolutely everything to anyone, but it seems like every year there's at least something big and new for most. Unfortunately I don't have the time to play OOTP as much I used to, but I do recognize that it is better every year. I do worry that it might be too complicated or detailed for newcomers, but we keep seeing plenty of new people in the community so it must not be too difficult to get into. My biggest wish for the series at the moment would be for it to fully flesh out league affiliations. That was a huge feature to me a version or two ago and many of its issues were fixed, but I'd just like to see affiliated leagues have separate and joint histories, awards, and all that good stuff, not just be joined in the limited manner that they are. Expand
  17. Dec 29, 2013
    If you love baseball or are a fan of sports sims this game is dead on solid. Play it right out of the box or customize it pretty much any way you want. Great online forums with awesome suport from both users and the developers. Online leagues and free user created mods to top it all off.
  18. Dec 29, 2013
    It's your game, play it your way! This is the best way to describe OOTP14. You can do pretty much anything you ever wanted within a baseball universe.
  19. Dec 29, 2013
    Best sports Sim you will ever play, hands down. If you love baseball you will love this game. If you kinda like baseball you will still probably love this game. The only negative to this game is that it can be overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it you won't stop playing it. Final Comment: Just get it. Its fantastic.
  20. Dec 29, 2013
    This game is so realistic, which is why it's so fun for me. I get to make my team how I want them to be. I'm in total control and I just enjoy seeing the history of the league unveil. You know a game is good when you are genuinely sad to see a fictional player retire.
  21. Dec 29, 2013
    Outstanding game that keeps getting better with each new version. It is the most realistic baseball sim on the market well worth the time and money to play it. It is a must buy for serious baseball fans.
  22. Dec 29, 2013
    OOTP 14 is THE best baseball sim game on the market, bar none. You can replay any season in baseball's history with real life rosters and transactions. You can create fictional leagues with fictional players or use major league players from any season, or you can use the current season's players and rosters and play out "what if" scenarios with your favorite teams and players. You don'tOOTP 14 is THE best baseball sim game on the market, bar none. You can replay any season in baseball's history with real life rosters and transactions. You can create fictional leagues with fictional players or use major league players from any season, or you can use the current season's players and rosters and play out "what if" scenarios with your favorite teams and players. You don't have to pay extra for any season disks or add-ons, and the game forums are the most user-friendly and detailed of any on the Internet. The game is geared towards the strategy/general manager side of baseball, and although you can play out every game if you want, the graphics are not arcade quality and the game is not designed for that yet. The developers are quick to respond to user problems with the game, and they always have an open ear for suggestions. Rosters and players can be edited fairly quickly, and there are literally thousands of options when designing leagues. The learning curve for this game is fairly steep. You can't just pick up a controller and start playing. But if you believe in hard work equating to big rewards, then this is the game for you! You will not be disappointed with the features. Expand
  23. Dec 29, 2013
    The best and most comprehensive sports sim out there, Definitely a must buy for any sports game player. OOTP makes winter into summer for me.

Metacritic should get this review page sorted. They list 5 negative reviews yet I can't read them. Why is that? If a game gets negative reviews we should be able to see what people think the problems are. Perhaps they couldn't figure out how to do something and they could be given some help.
  24. Dec 29, 2013
    OOTP is fantastic year in and year out, with v14 being the best yet.

A huge range of customization options available and an excellent community of users make OOTP an absolute joy to play.
  25. Dec 26, 2013
    Excellent baseball management simulation, well the best one actually, as all the scores and reviews will tell you. Made by a company that cares and is very active with it's users. The learning curve, has mentioned, is steep but if you take it step by step, watch a Youtube tutorial or just check on the forums (where you can have questions answered within minutes usually) its nothing to beExcellent baseball management simulation, well the best one actually, as all the scores and reviews will tell you. Made by a company that cares and is very active with it's users. The learning curve, has mentioned, is steep but if you take it step by step, watch a Youtube tutorial or just check on the forums (where you can have questions answered within minutes usually) its nothing to be afraid off. Play modern MLB, historical seasons starting in 1800s! or even make your own baseball universe in any country you want, with any rules you want!

I rate it a 7 simply because there are a few things I personally would like to be added into the game.
  26. Dec 23, 2013
    A pretty big learning curve that pays off in the end. For those people that are big baseball fans and people who love stats, This game is a must. High replayability. Good mods and fanbase.
  27. Oct 29, 2013
    OOTP Baseball Simulator is a great simulator and the most realistic one I can find. YOU are in control for as much or as little as you would like. You can play starting with the opening day rosters for that season, do a historical replay starting from any year, or even create your own custom leagues, without any limits. I love playing OOTP whenever I want to play some baseball. With someOOTP Baseball Simulator is a great simulator and the most realistic one I can find. YOU are in control for as much or as little as you would like. You can play starting with the opening day rosters for that season, do a historical replay starting from any year, or even create your own custom leagues, without any limits. I love playing OOTP whenever I want to play some baseball. With some more tweaks to make the AI even better, this would receive a 10. Expand
  28. Jul 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a must have for Baseball fans. I'm a Baseball fan, and I haven't been this addicted to a game in a LONG LONG time. This game is just that good. It's not meant to replace MLB: The Show, rather it's meant to compliment it. This game is much more simulation based than The Show, and really shows you the GM side of Baseball. Great game for Billy Beane wannabes. Gotta say, it's super fun to finish 1st in your division and win the World Series in this game. Heck, it's even enjoyable waiting during loading screens! because during loading screens, the game tells you all sorts of interesting things about the great game of Baseball. For example, I learned that Babe Ruth pitched a 14 inning complete game once in the WS. Also, the season Roger Maris hit 61 bombs, he wasn't walked even once! overall great stuff to learn for any baseball fan. If there is one thing wrong with this game, it's that you don't fully get the feeling that you're playing in the MLB. There is an optional add-on you can download from the add-on center in the game itself (another very good feature) that provides you with all the MLB logos, player faces, and managers. Still, many of the players are depicted with great inaccuracy, and generally the feel of the Majors is lost. Expand

1. Oct 4, 2013
    OOTP 14 doesn't feature huge changes from last year's model.
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    Much like last year, Out of the Park 2014 shows why it's one of the best baseball management simulators out there. Whether you want to take control of a pre-made team, play through any past season from as far back as 1871, or create your own league and rules, OOTP 14 gives you practically endless possibilities and options to manage a baseball team.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    While Out of the Park 14 is a fun fantasy styled game, gamers with not much interest in baseball or waiting (because of the real time aspect) won’t enjoy this game as much as sports fans and fantasy sports players.