8.4

1. Aug 14, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the genre, but I know a good horror game when I see one. While most horror games rely on jump scares and nothing else, Outlast has that, and more. The visuals are good, and creeping through a pitch black room with your night vision camera dying out, and hearing a sudden noise, is as terrifying as it gets. However, like most horror games, Outlast doesn't have a lot of gameplay, which can make the game EXCRUCIATINGLY boring at some points. But, all things considered, this is a really good game, and one horror fans should check out. Expand
  2. Aug 10, 2014
    Survival horror game with no combat. Don't think I need to say more. Pro tip guys that's called a movie not a game. Could have been so much better, loved the location. I would give it 0 for not being a game but ill give it 1 for a good start.
  3. Aug 6, 2014
    It is scary, it is enough hard, plot is "fine" not extremely good but fine, cool ending.
    The atmosphere is amazing and some of the foes really "unusual", graphics are cool.
    The idea that you should record main happenings with the camera (it's not compulsory but you must use the camera to see something in the dark) makes everything similar to be in a movie like rec or esp, it's simply a
    great Idea!.
    As other similar games, you cannot fight foes only try to run but especially you will find yourself hiding, but remember that if they see you hiding they will still get you (of course) .
    Second only to amnesia:the dark descent just for the lack of little puzzles (and because amnesia cannot be defeated ) :D .
    One of my best purchases. I probably will buy the dlc as soon as it is on sale!
    85/100 and a 9 on metacritic as a little gift for the unknown producer!
  4. Jul 16, 2014
    This is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who are hostile and some who aren't. The game does a fantastic job of bringing back the great horror games that we've been missing this past decade. Expand
  5. Jul 15, 2014
    Absolutely best horror game I have ever played (and I have played plenty of them). You will be terrified not because of jump-scares (even that there are), not because of gore and hideous "creatures" (even that there are), but because of the greatly designed environment of mental asylum supported by atmospheric ambient. The story is amazing and with the style of actual game-play provides truly scary and adrenaline ride. Go for it, if you like to be scared when using bathroom at midnight. Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2014
    Catch the sound of some big scary guy in the next room and hastily find a hiding spot, then watch helplessly when he walks through the door and starts checking under the beds, praying he overlooks the one you crawled under. Even after the coast is clear the thought of crawling out and trying to slip past is nerve-wracking. Super creepy and super tense. Playing in the dark with headphones and I swear my heart was going to stop a few times.

Good graphics and creepy sound effects create a really unsettling environment with night vision thrown in to make it worse. A classic horror movie soundtrack when you're being chased makes you hope you don't fall into that "trip on your shoelace at the worst possible moment" trope. Story line is a little cliche but not too bad.

I was never really into the survival horror genre. I got a free copy of Daylight, which turned out to be... just awful... but it made me go looking for something better and I definitely found it.
  7. Jun 23, 2014
    The game is dripping with atmosphere and is very immerse. I found my self on several occasions having to remind myself that it is just a game. The controls are easy and intuitive. The story is a bit cheesy but very fun. And the game has the wherewithal to end before it gets over done.
    All in all, a great game. If you have been waiting for a great horror game, this is it. Now that it
    is on Sale (YaY Steam Summer Sale) it is very much worth your time.
    Trust me; The first time you are chased by a monster, the sound of snarling and chains whipping behind you, with your heart racing and your muscles tensed, you will agree. (You can press "Q" or "E" to look behind you. But I couldn't bring myself to press it. I just wanted to get away.)
  8. Jun 17, 2014
    A game which can be used to define 'Survival Horror'. It did only take 7.5 hours to complete but the ride was like an intense G-force maximising, full loop-da-loop rollercoaster. A perfect nightmare, challenging your anal muscles to keep in the mess. Best £5.89 I have spent in a long while!
  9. Jun 16, 2014
    I often forgot this was a game. Outlast does such an amazing job of creating these unique identities for the handful of psychos stalking you in the asylum that it created this sense of realism I have not found in a game in a long time.
    I dodged this game for months thinking it would just be full of cheap jump scares, but it is not. It has a very detailed world to explore and a very solid
    story to unravel.
    It became apparent at some point that the developers were afraid the game was turning out to be too short and started stretching out the gameplay. This stretched gameplay is not bad quality, but serves to add a lot of question marks to your thought pattern when you reach them.
    My only real complaint would be the rare but over-used character models for the more common variants. Occasionally, I would come across a character that I would think was someone I had already encountered before, only to find out it was just another NPC using the same model, which would remind me that this is only a game quickly.
    Overall, this game scared its way into my favorite games list. Watching my little cousin jump so much during the first five minutes that I thought he was going to damage my system was worth the base price alone. I was sad to read that Whistleblower concludes the story.
  10. Jun 13, 2014
    This game was a really good horror title which reminded me of Nightmare House 2, graphics are beautifully insane and the story line is really good and the DLC explains a lot of the mysteries from the main game, overall an amazing experience!
  11. Jun 10, 2014
    I am torn, I want to rate this game highly but then I want to give it a low score just to seek revenge in some way as I haven't cacked my pants playing a game for years. Scary, great graphics, makes you reluctant to run anywhere apart from if you're being chased of course. It didn't help when I felt quite tense and my cat clawed my leg. Great game.
  12. Jun 7, 2014
    This is one of the best horror games I have played. Mind you, it is more like a walk (or run) through a haunted house than a game. There are no puzzles elements other than hunting for camcorder batteries, crawlspaces to squeeze through, or various objects like key cards and fuses to get you on your way. There is no combat. All you can do is run and hide.
    I have been bored by other
    games in the genre with little to do but explore in the dark (Amnesia x2, Among the Sleep, Year Walk, Gone Home).
    Something is different about Outlast. The atmosphere. The sound design. The Lighting. It is just a great creepy experience. The characters themselves don't have the best graphics and animation, but look at the original Silent Hill. People eat that up and the graphics are horrible by today's standards. Outlast sets a mood and keeps it going.
    Sure you can play it on easy and take a lot of hits and just run through the whole thing. The check points are not far apart, so nobody is going to be frustrated by having to replay long passages. But if you are as careful and possible and play with an "I don't want to die" attitude, you will run for your life and your heart will pound as you hope you chose the right bed under which to hide.
    For a $20 indie game it is excellent. It is long enough to get to play through a few different environments with a few novel twist to the formula, but it isn't so long that it gets too repetitive and tedious.
    It is more like watching a movie than playing a video game. It reminds me of the final scene of The Shinning when Danny is running for his life from Jack, except you are Danny and you are running and hiding for your life. I don't think a game has ever gotten me so wound up that I can't play it anywhere near bedtime. It has been a long time since a game did that, as some of the Dead Space and Silent Hill games did.
  13. Jun 7, 2014
    Aside from all the stuff that's been given to this game about its "ruined storyline," Outlast for the PC created wonderful scares, an awesome sound design, and overall great experience for the player. The graphics make it so much more than the generic horror game, and professionally composed music score works perfectly with it. As the game goes on, you learn more about why you're in an asylum, who you are, and what's going on. For $20, this is a great buy. 9/10. Expand
  14. Jun 4, 2014
    What can i say about this OVERRATED piece of trash, another overrated attempt of an "horror" game, if this is what we have now as "horror" we are really fuc*** up, so please stay away from this trash. I can't give it more than 4 points, because i am a very good person i don't give this a 3, but believe me, this is far to be a good game. How can you be completely disarmed in an "horror" game, i know that the lack of weapons maybe increase the horror, but this is too far, imagine if in resident evil or silent hill (true horror games) you don't have any weapons, imagine how bad those game become if you don't have weapons. The weapons give you hope, but this game eliminates all your hope, you need to be running like a girl from every enemy, hidding like a **** and running away, like the mediocre title "silent hill shattered memories" but Outlast is even worst. The gameplay is very repetitive and the graphics are average, no good music to add to this **** experience, really don't waste money in this piece of garbage, another overhyped attempt of game, hope soon every good gamer forget about this horrible title. Expand
  15. Jun 3, 2014
    Not so many games have this unique feel of atmosphere to them these days. Though the writing and characters are not that unique and experimental as the other aspects of the game suggest, this survival horror game has a well-designed flow and balanced gameplay, which is coherent with its story.

In my opinion the weakest part of the game is its writing, content and character designs,
    specifically its main antagonist whose appearance and nature makes an absolute flaw in the player's immersion in this hyper-realistic looking world. Expand
  16. May 31, 2014
    The game together with the dlc makes a wonderful and incredibly spooky gaming experience. The plot is well made, the scary atmosphere is fantastic and the graphics is outstanding! At first I wasn't that happy with the ending, but the dlc took care of that problem!:)
  17. May 31, 2014
    So i got Outlast now. The start is very nice, the enviroment is beautiful and i get a creepy feeling. But thats it, really. The game itself is kinda.. boring? I've been around in Horror games since Silent Hill 1 on PS and this game is very cheap. "Made by veterans" That's alot of BS, or just very sad that you guys havent developed in the last years.

Its not scary, the first 20mins had
    me afraid and very interested but after that, i just started to laugh when i got chased and thought to myself "This game is so bad".

The AI is just idiotic. I ran from a guy and tried the same locker three times, and he caught me twice but after the third time he didnt see me apperently. There's no horror in the game. It's just jumpscares all the time.

Imagine you going into a fight with a guy and he from nowhere - punches you in the nutsack. It aint fair and it just feels lazy. I dont wanna be scared by a 15000db scream. I wanna have a scary and disgusting feeling that i wont survive at all - such as in Condemned for example.

This is more like: "find this" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"find 3 levers" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIHAuDHSIhdAuD

It gets alot unserious from a time, the enemies arent scary at all.
    And the whole scary asylum, blood on the wall "Run away, they will catch you" crazy doctor that is following you and all, really? This is 20th century.

I didnt complete the game, i played for around 2 hours, and i just couldnt take it serious. It feels so stupid. Like it was meant for idiotic morons like pewdiedee or 14years kid that cant handle real horror.
  18. May 27, 2014
    The developers of Outlast were smart in that they basically borrowed elements from different horror media to create an epic horror game that you won't soon forget.

A lot of Amnesia is borrowed in that you can't fight or do anything remotely offensive- it's just you and your ability to stay hidden. Fortunately, the *things* you're hiding from can't see in the dark. And, boy is there
    plenty of dark for you to hide in. As a matter of fact, without the night vision, this game would be altogether unplayable.

The atmosphere is one that is horrifying even when not much is going on and that's mainly due to the incredible sounds that keep the game going. There's a constant and relentless eery feeling that there's something right around the corner.

Now as for the story, I personally felt it could have been fleshed out a bit more, and I felt the ending to be a bit disappointing. But I don't want to spoil anything about the game, so I'll leave you to come to any conclusions yourself about that.

I'd recommend this game to ANYONE who's PC can handle it and would advise that you use headphones or your surround sound system (if playing on a TV) The game truly relies on the aforementioned atmospheric sounds to create a unique and unforgettable experience.
  19. May 25, 2014
    Good game, an actually good looking scary game, not many are like that. This game does not do a lot of cheap jump scares even though it has a few, the scares most comes from the environment it creates, it has so much tension that the first 2 or 3 hours of play will likely to be broken down into 40minute sessions so you can take a break in between.

The games main problem is that it loses
    its scare about half way in, you are no longer as frightened and do not feel as vulnerable, because evading the enemy is not too difficult, and that a close up on an enemy's deformed face really loses the scare, because no matter how scary and menacing the enemy, it is not as scary as the unknown, the shadow, a sound etc...

But overall, a lot of fun and scares, especially considering that its a new studio and an indie game.
  20. May 23, 2014
    Overall a fantastic game. Great sound, graphics and atmosphere. I was creeped out from the start until the end. No game has had me this tense and actually made me jump before. My only grief (thus the 9) was that the "enemies" got a bit old and lost some tension because they were used so much. Other than that it was excellent.
  21. May 19, 2014
    A solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is a good game that does a very good job at what it was made for. Expand
  22. May 13, 2014
    Absolutely the best horror game in a moment. The story is interesting and the jump-scares are not too scary. Survival feeling makes this game special and surprising. The best horror game in the moment but still 7/10. Only the story mode makes the game too small.
  23. May 10, 2014
    Outlast is one of the horror games that'll leave you on the edge of your seats as you frantically try to escape and hide from your pursuers.

Some commendable aspects of Outlast is its phenomenal sound engine and atmospherically well-detailed environment.

Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty
    lasted for about 6 hours, and that can be quite dettering for people who are interested to pick this up (Price as of right now is 19.99 w/o any discounts).

Another "problem" is its horrible, asinine and abrupt ending...

Definitely worth picking up during a sale any time, any day. Awesome horror game!
  24. May 9, 2014
    An achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and the headphones turned up. Highly Recommended. Can't wait to see what else they cook up. Would be cool if we could get a physical edition of this and the dlc someday. Expand
  25. May 8, 2014
    this game is terrifying. it does so many things right in terms of giving you the best horror experience you can get, but fails in adding any variety to the games settings, and the story is interesting, but clichéd and starts to feel more and more unnecessary as the game progresses. but with all that being said it is one of a kind, you could compare the game's style and gameplay to Amnesia the Dark Descent, I like to think of Outlast as a modern day Amnesia with its own distinguished atmosphere. The thing I like the most about this game though is the camera, which is also similar to Amnesia's lantern in its use. you use the video camera to see in the dark using its nigh vision light thing just like you would see in a found footage film, and that's what makes this game so cool, because it makes you feel like you are in one of those movies. its a great touch that really makes outlast stand out as a creative and very scary horror game Expand
  26. May 6, 2014
    great game 11/10 would get my extremities cut off for another experience.
    Whistleblower dlc is also very very good 11/10 would scare.

only problem is it should be longer 10/10 much good.
    Much amaze.
  27. Apr 30, 2014
    Boring. not scary.
    But good graphic quality and bring the game to a new Neveau in chanre.
    Sensed his main purpose, "scaring" but not.
    Playful as well as by the atmosphere and the Geschihte the game is very boring and monotonous. The motivation to continue playing complete missing.
  28. Apr 28, 2014
    Got this game with no idea what it was or even what it was about. Looked scary and I was in the mood to scream plus had some friends watching the stream so I figured what the hell give it a shot. Not priced to high and considering it managed to keep me entertained up until the end means money well spent. Though there are some negative sides to this game. It manages to really get you going early on, you will find yourself scared to adventure forward due to the unexpected. Though once you’ve managed to get about an hour in the scares start to get a little over the top and predictable. The game is by no means long, something like 4 hours from start to finish managed to beat it in a night. The ending is really quite pathetic but for a decently priced game I can’t complain.

Gameplay: This game brings something new to the table in terms of horror games that felt fresh. Only equipment in this game is your trusty camera which runs on your standard double a (AA) batteries. This adds a pretty fun element to the game as you are questioning if it is necessary at parts to use the night vision on your camera or just go HAM with your natural eyes. There are a number of pretty good scares and the game manages to keep you entertained up until the end. Though about half way through you will start to kind of get the hang of when things are going to go down and how to easily avoid trouble.

Graphics: Standard todays graphic’s, no complaints and felt refreshing and clean.

Overall this game is a mix for me, personally I found it was worth the price but it just wasn't all there. After a while it gets a little repetitive and the scares start to get old. Yet its worth a play if you are into the survival horror genre.
  29. Apr 17, 2014
    Outlast es un juego muy bueno. Desde el principio te sumerge a una atmósfera de terror. Junto con la música va creando un ambiente de horror que te lleva a concentrarte exclusivamente en el juego. Una vez hecho esto comienzan los sustos y espantos. Todo esto hace que en todo el juego estes alerta y atento. Simplemente genial. El principio, el desarrollo, el final. Digna de una obra maestra.
  30. Apr 14, 2014
    Great game for horror junkies like me; it's basically an interactive movie. Even though the story is a bit cliche, it's exactly what I expected, which was a fun, tense, and well made indie horror title.
  31. Apr 12, 2014
    Outlast has atmosphere of great horror and good storyline. The weak side of this game is unfortunately gameplay. It's very repeated - we still hiding in the cupboard and running, sometimes looking for the switchers, fuses and other stuff. Ending of the is also a bit disappointing, but the game is still worth playing, especially if you are horror fan.
  32. Apr 7, 2014
    Here I am a grown man and this game scared the living bejesus out of me. Wowzers. If you like horror video games you're going to like it. I had to sometimes stop playing at night because I was so scared.
  33. Mar 26, 2014
    The atmosphere and visuals are very well done, and lend greatly to the overall experience of the game. As a veteran to horror titles, however, I found the 'horror' aspect of the game to be somewhat lacking. Outlast certainly has it's share of creepy moments and well timed jump scares and is still a great game overall, but beyond the polish it felt as though something more was missing.

My one real gripe with the game is that the vast majority of enemies you encounter in the game all follow a similar 'search and chase' AI that takes little effort to outsmart, which greatly detracts from the immersion and fear of evading and escaping them. There were also several times throughout the game when the "activate X number of things while evading a patrol" mechanic was used, all of which boiled down to performing the exact same "stay out of sight and move when they move" tactic, which took away from the overall experience for me. There were also a few times where I would become more frustrated than frightened over trying to deal with and evade enemies as I progressed.

All of that said however, Outlast is still a very satisfying game to play, and is worth the asking price. Gameplay is smooth and fluid, character interaction with the environment is an uncommon and welcome touch, and the night vision mechanic is implemented very well. While it's not a game I would play through again, I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for another title in the horror genre to keep them occupied.
  34. Mar 10, 2014
    If this would be a horror, it should be different. I can say that the beggining was the best, then everything exagerated. Why you have to walk so much and suddenly you hit a ' crazed ' employee. This is not what I expected, truly, my opinion. I was waiting for a action-horror.
  35. Mar 9, 2014
    absolutely amazing. why? sahneler gerçekçi, korkulu saniyeler yaşatıyor, hikaye gerçekten oturmuş konu sizi sarıyor sarmalıyor. hem ne olacağını merak ediyor hem de nerden ne çıkacak diye titriyorsunuz. ha bir de oyunun sonu güzel olmuş, alışılmış değil sonunda bile mest etti.
  36. Mar 4, 2014
    The graphics contents are not advisable for children; I'm 47 and I'm really shocked about being murdered in such cruel ways. I did not score 10 cuz the gore and violence are extreme; the night vision is a fabulous and works perfectly in the horror atmosphere. The asylum and its inhabitants makes your heart pounding and your skin crrrreep. You might think this funny but you will scream when that maniac to jump in front of you...you'll see. Expand
  37. Mar 2, 2014
    Oh. Asylum. Monsters. Blood. Darkness. Corpses. Psychos. Flashlights. Priest. Scripts. Generators in the Basements. Jumpscares. 10/10. Very. Original. Yeah..
  38. Feb 25, 2014
    Really horrifying. I like to play horror games but not this one. This one tortures my soul. Nonetheless I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is so scary. The creatures too. And if you think they are not very scary, I would agree with you. But I think the developers don't want this game to become deadly, they just wanted it to be deadly scary. And hell yes. I screamed about 20 times during play, six were very loud. I think the neighbours heard me. I was scared to death. I've completed the bloody game. But no thanks. I don't want to do this again. Expand
  39. Feb 24, 2014
    I have bought this game on steam, it is a waste of time and money in my opinion. this game is not scary at the very least, i never felt any tension mainly because once you realize that your pursuers are sluggishly slow, you understand they pose no actual threat meaning you can really breeze through the game and all its predictable jumpscares.
    i bought this game because i wanted a good
    scare but i was sorely disappointing. this game fail on both aspect of horror, shock and psychological. Expand
  40. Feb 24, 2014
    Scariest game I've played so far easily. Does a good job of balancing jump scares along with just overall creepiness and atmosphere. Was slightly disappointed in the story by the end of it but that's just me. Overall very good game.
  41. Feb 23, 2014
    If you want something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then this is the game to play. It's not as atmospheric as Amnesia, nor is the storyline as intriguing, but you will still love Outlast start to finish.

The scares are all done the right way. You will find yourself jumping out of your seat many times. You will find yourself in constant paranoia and getting bursts of fear-induced
    adrenaline for the large chunk of the game. The gameplay isn't mind-blowing, but still holds up extremely well.

The only negative point I'll give this game is that some of the level design is very poor, and you could find yourself running around in circles or possibly getting killed because it can be cramped, confusing and repetitive, though that doesn't ruin the game in any sense. Overall, if horror games are your thing, this'll probably be in your top 10.
  42. Feb 19, 2014
    OUTLAST IS OUTSTANDING , astonishing bealtiful graphics, terrifying scenarios, i just screamed 1-3 times every 15 minutes of gameplay. A true horror game, with an interesting Story, much more than i was specting . TIP: Dont buy this game if you don´t like horror genre , or if you get scared too easy , because you will quit the game every 5 minutes , im not joking.
  43. Feb 18, 2014
    One of the scariest games I have ever played. It brings me back to the good old days of Resident Evil for PlayStation, without the ability to defend myself. The only way to survive is to run, run, RUN!!! It's realism is the fact that you can't fight back, you can only hide. Do NOT underestimate the horror in this game.
  44. Feb 15, 2014
    Scarier than the scariest movie, which means it holds the tittle of the scariest game but by the time you near end it just drags on far too long.

Could have been a 9/10 if they just ended it sooner. Turned from running for you life to fumbling in the dark. 1 hr less and this game would have been master piece.
  45. Feb 14, 2014
    Totally awesome atmosphere. I am a bit of a fan of the found footage horror genre, and this game is as close as it gets to being the camera person. I haven't had a video game make my heart race in a long time, and this game will scare the crap out of you, lights on, middle of the day, other people in the house. only play at night, lights out and home alone if you enjoy using your underwear as a diaper. Expand
  46. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is new ? Not even holy water? The control is bad. The graphis PS one. Only first person view . Can you use a mantra or pencil to defend yourself? Only run and run an jump . I prefer used my cel and film my old house! Expand
  47. Feb 5, 2014
    The game is the most scariest games I have ever played!! The atmosphere is amazing, graphics are very good. If you like scary games, you must play this!
  48. Feb 5, 2014
    This game was a total waste of money for me. I expected a different, though still fine tuned atmosphere in concert with the music as Amnesia The Dark Descent. I was thoroughly disappointed. This game is made of cheap scares to the fullest. Being set in an Asylum is already far from original for a terror game. The same plot than so many games about a uber evil corporation doing experiments blah you know the drill. Almost ALL scares I had where predicted before hand: "Oh this door is closed, I bet there will be a 5000db sound that will scare me to death." Every every time it happened. Seriously go buy Amnesia the dark descent instead of this veteran-made mainstream unoriginal terror game. Expand
  49. Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of the best survival-horror games I've ever played. Red Barrels definitely did all they could do, with good graphics, effects, scary soundtrack and gameplay.
    Good Job Red Barrels!
  50. Jan 23, 2014
    It's so scary it got the "Most Likely to Make You Faint" award at some conference. No kidding. Sure, it's not as good as Amnesia, but this gets a nine for its astounding performance on the PC. I heard this is also for the PS4.
    The graphics are real and dim, creating a creepy mood. The constant scares and enemies are scary and good-looking (sometimes, you don't even KNOW whether he would
    attack!), and with the game in a first-person view is excellent. With breathing, footsteps, and limbs.

However, there's so much gore, I could puke. Plus, the ending. WHAT COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE THINKING! It's really disappointing to find out at the very end of the game that the developers just said, "Hey, let's just kill Miles, since we don't know what other b****in' thing to do!"

Still, cheers for Red Barrels (as leonov said)!

Actual Score: 9.5
  51. Jan 22, 2014
    I was terrified. I personally was afraid of cancer than Echinacea deongeot can not believe that was like a great indie game and graphics! I was one of the best-gamer living in Korea.
  52. Jan 15, 2014
    What a ride! Outlast, not for the faint of heart, a game that puts you at the edge of your seat the whole way through (and occassionally jumping off it). I think this game achieves what others cannot; together with the great visuals and music, create a believable, yet grossly disturbing atmosphere that envelops you, making you yourself the protagonist. The gameplay consists of finding your way around and fleeing from enemies. Don't expect to do any fighting. If I recall correctly, I don't think you hurt a single soul in the game... but that's what makes this IP so unique. This may be one of the few games out there where it takes away the fight from the fight-or-flight concept, making you a victim from the beginning to the very end of the game.

The AI is not bad, considering they do put up quite the scare. Since there is only a handful of enemy types, their behaviour becomes predictable. Death scenes are mediocre and not the spectacular ones you find in Dead Space. They just don't hold up to the intensity built up from your attempted escape.
    Maps are pretty linear unfortunately. Scripted events lock doors and unlock others to limit where you can go. Perhaps this is a good thing, as a sandbox-freeroaming asylum is something you don't want to get lost in. (Certain objectives are already hard enough to find...)

Other than these minor shortcomings, the game does brilliantly in everything else. The graphics is good (but some frame rate drops), music sets the scene well, and the atmosphere is simply stunning! If you play this game, I recommend looking around for various rooms and passages, since they might contain batteries and notes. These notes are great as they help lay the background of the story, and the story is pretty good! The campaign is of a healthy length (took me around 6 hours?). From hindsight I think this could've been a bit longer, but towards the end of the story I was asking myself when this will all finally end!

If you are looking for a thrill ride, look no further. This game is worth every penny.
  53. Jan 9, 2014
    The atmosphere and sound of this game make it a true horror experience. It gives you that feeling of wanting to play to finish the game but also not wanting to play due to the fear it brings.

Slightly linear at times and repetitive objectives slightly drag down the score but well worth a go for horror fans.
  54. Jan 7, 2014
    I never felt so helpless and scared while playing the game. Also I had never gotten such strong emotions (mostly fear) from the video game. This game is highly recommended if you want to try something new, and if you have enough balls...
  55. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is the second best survival horror title I've played to date (second to Amnesia: TDD). There are a few problems, but first let me go over what this game does right.

PROS
    Outlast has some gorgeous environments. Major props to whoever worked on the modeling, texturing, level design, and lighting. It looks great, and runs smoothish even on low-end machines. The sound design is
    also fantastic, as well as the game play. The tension and exploration is some of the best in gaming. I really liked the camera gimmick, although I don't think it would work too well to keep it going through sequels (if they happen). The pacing is fairly good, except for the first 45 minutes or so. The game had a slow start, but picks up fairly quickly once you hit the sewers. The story is interesting, although nothing special.

CONS
    Not very many cons here. The UI design is bland and uninteresting aside from the camera effects. The asylum environment is a bit played out at this point, and I would have liked a little more variety of environments. The fear elements were too often to be effective every time, and the jump scares could be seen coming a mile away. Also, a little variety in the types of encounters would have been nice. Every single encounter could be handled the exact same way.

*SLIGHT SPOILER* I was digging the supernatural story until I realized that it wasn't. But what was there was done a bit confusingly. I wasn't sure what had even happened, much less why or how.

Overall, worth the $20, but I would suggest getting it on sale. Very good game.
  56. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is a very dark and atmospheric horror game, that takes you to a remote mountain mental asylum to uncover it's secrets. The setting for the game, Mount Massive mental asylum, is a good location for horror movies or games, but admittedly is over-used. The game is mostly linear, with the exception of a few segments where you have a maze like area and you have to complete some objective, often while being hunted by a deranged ex-patient. The asylum is well done in general, there is good attention to detail and realistic design, the lighting is perfect, it is not completely dark but most sections are partially illuminated. The game is not very long, but it doesn't really have to be, nor should it be, this is not a game you blow through in an afternoon. It took me four sitting to play this game to completion, I usually got too nerve-wrecked to continue after an hour or so. As stated in the beginning the games atmosphere is great, lighting and shadows are well utilized, level design is well down to give a claustrophobic feel, and small little things like, making bloody footprints when you step in a blood puddle. One of my favorite things about this was the camcorder, you play as a journalist, so it it important to capture the certain things, and the game rewards you doing that by giving you, reports and notes about the subject. The camera also serves as your torch with it's night vision mode, which quickly drains batteries, forcing you to be vigilant in your search for replacements. Now, the game missteps in some areas, mainly the jump-scares, that was my biggest problem with the game. If you pay attention there will sometimes be a "lead up" to the scares, you may see someone watching you and then run away or the like, it builds anticipation and puts you on edge. But too many times does the game give you these cheap scares, in the beginning of the game, you open a door and a figure is on the other side of the door, accompanied by a loud noise, but when you look, it is a body hung up side down by chains. What made the sound? It feels kind of cheap at some points, unfortunately this happens quite a bit. But the other scares are more than enough to make up for it, some of them are clever in their buildup, and there is some psychological scares. I don't think a scare should have to announce itself with a loud noise and someone hiding behind a door, like the player is an idiot and wouldn't be scared otherwise. One of my best examples if a good scare is when your walking on cat walk and you look behind you and see a huge figure silently walking behind you, and then turn around to run to find another one coming from the other direction. This type of scare will scare you just as much as any jump scare, but it won't make you knee the bottom of your desk. So in conclusion, despite my gripes about the overuse of cheap jump scares, Outlast is a better than average horror game, it is solid, or better in almost all areas, and is a must buy for any horror fan and if you're not a fan of horror, you may want to try it, it might turn you into one. Expand
  57. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is arguably the best horror game ever! It will scare the crap out of you from beginning to end. The stealth gameplay gives the player a spine-chilling experience and the jump scares are well executed. Also, the atmosphere of Mount Massive Asylum makes you feel that the place is alive and terrifying. But unfortunately, the game's plot is a big letdown especially the ending. It's confusing and it left me unsatisfied. On the bright side, Red Barrels proved that the survival horror genre is still alive. Outlast is must play game for huge horror fans but not for the faint of heart. Expand
  58. Jan 4, 2014
    Outlast is definitely scary. Those who have completed it will know that at some point in the game they have hidden in terror in one of the lockers as the Asylum Patients hunt you down. It relies more on jump-scares than Amnesia did, but like Amnesia it builds up a tense atmosphere with terrifying enemies and voice acting. If you liked Amnesia, try Outlast for a just-as scary experience.
  59. Jan 3, 2014
    WOW! Just WOW! That game is the scariest I've ever played in almost 30 years of gaming history! Exceptionally well done, ambience is top notch, controls are responsive and tension is extreme! Very graphic though; it might not be for all tastes. If you enjoyed this great movie "Grave Encounters", this game is definitely for you.
  60. Jan 3, 2014
    Outlast will be remembered as the scariest game of the generation, that redefines the horror genre that was desperately in need of a tune up. Never have I been so scared in a game before, horror fans are in for a treat. I love the gaming mechanics, graphics, music and jump scares that truly make your heart stop pumping. The most fun is found here when skyping and friend while playing and pissing yourself at there reactions. Definitely worth your time and money, what another excellent indie game of 2013. Expand
  61. Jan 3, 2014
    Outlast... Scary, but not for long.

In outlast you are a reporter who receives an anonymous tip sending you to Mount Massive Asylum, only for you to be greeted by horrible deformed psychotic humans. This game uses the same basic premises of Amnesia: Dark Descent, you have no weapons, your only defense is to hide, you have a light with limited use, and the enemies are as dumb as rocks.
    Basically the only difference is location and enemies, and yet Amnesia did it so much better.

The graphics in this game are amazing, some of the best I have seen... or at least for the character models. Everything else looks good, but some textures just don’t cut it. The audio is fantastic, the ambient noises are scary and just make you want to hide under a bed, and being able to hear enemies footsteps get louder and louder as they get closer, and the little remarks they make just adds to the horror. And the hiding mechanic has been improved over Amnesia's, as now there are more things to hide under and in, and god forbid the person your hiding from decides to check under the bed in which your taking cover, as they will pull you out and smash you onto the ground. Hard. Your only source of light (that you keep on your person) is the night vision on your camera. Using said night vision drains the energy ridiculously fast, forcing you to scavenge around to find spare batteries, all adding to the horror aspect of this game, and don’t get me wrong, the first few hours are downright terrifying, but later in the game it just gets... boring. Instead of hiding and hoping they don’t find me, I just started to run around not caring if they chased me or not. Getting hit takes barely any health away, and there are pauses between each attack of around 3 seconds. With it taking four or five hits to kill you, this can ruin the suspense real fast. I wasnt even staying away from people that might try to hit me, I just walked up face to face and waited for a response. Also almost nothing was memorable, hell, the last twenty seconds of the game are more impacting then the other ten hours and fifty minutes.
    There’s also almost no story, just documents telling what kind of medications the patients were on or maybe a sliver of their backstory. But I found the ending well done (of course the final "boss" enemy wasnt scary) and original, it just being a slap in the face, and by far the thing i liked most about this "scary" train wreck.

By the time I reached hour six I was praying for it to end, not out of fear, but because of how painful it had become to play this. But no, it didn’t stop at six, or seven, or eight, it stopped at ELEVEN HOURS. ELEVEN. I was pissed, bored, frustrated, and had a headache that took hours to disappear by the time this game ended, and when I heard of an upcoming DLC I had to just lay down. But, even towards the end there are SOME good parts, like being in huge flooded room were its like walking through molasses while a big pig is chasing you around, and there’s nothing to hide in, and the only way out is by a ladder in the middle of the room which by the way is also the only place with light, so once your there piggers is going to see you and he moves FAST.

If the game had been able to keep up the fear caused in the first few hours, it would have been a near perfect score.

Pros:
    First few hours are scary as hell
    beautiful graphics
    great audio
    original and good ending
    improved hiding mechanics
    enemies look horrifying

Cons:
    almost no story
    gets boring
    gets REALLY boring
    gets so boring I’m not going to recommend this game purely because of it

Rate: 5/10
    Rate (If Scary All The Way Through): 9/10

Only time I’d suggest this is if you’re a diehard Amnesia fan.
  62. Jan 3, 2014
    Really good horror game..it can scare the s**t of you
    The only cons are the outdated engine (Unreal 3 engine and that the game is really short gameplay
  63. Jan 3, 2014
    Very good survival horror game. The only negative things I have to say are smaller nitpicks. One, the game wouldn't be scary at all if your character had a 9mm, or even a small pocket knife.Two, the game after about the third encounter with a Variant (The psychopathic inmates) the entire hiding mechanic and button-pushing and valve-opening thing became very trivial and not very scary. This can probably be remedied with playing with the lights completely off, alone, with headphones on turned up very loud. Three, the ending was piss poor and was in no way an adequate resolution to an otherwise very good game. All together a very good game. Expand
  64. Jan 2, 2014
    Excellent game, very well made. Beat it in a little under seven hours, very enjoyable! I don't play a particularly large amount of horror games, but Outlast seemed like a fun game that would help me extend my comfort zones. I am extremely glad I decided to play it; it had excellent gameplay mechanics and decent storytelling. I'm going to do my best to review it without adding spoilers.

In a nutshell (I expand on these points in the wall of text below:)
    -Very good scares, excellent chases where you are running for your life with lots of variety in how you do so and why, does sometimes feel repetitive but only a FRACTION of the time.
    -Horrific environment and story, well made and does it job of disgusting you and pulling you into the game
    -EXCELLENT atmosphere. This had to be my favorite aspect of the game. The level of details in the game combined with the story and gameplay mechanics all added up to create a game that REALLY pulls you in.
    -Great mechanics and controls. Another favorite aspect of this game. Watch trailer 2 to get an idea for the full range of motion your character has as he flees for his life.
    -Last level is very reminiscent of F.E.A.R.
    -Ending was, in my opinion, not what I was hoping for. Probably the game's only big weakness.
    -Story was hit or miss; you need to explore and find the spread out documents to get a good idea of the story.

The scares were pretty decent; some good jumpscares here and there, though the main scares came from enemies chasing you through the asylum, as the game ads showed. The chases themselves were definitely scary and got your heartbeat pumping, however, some of it's power was lost after playing the game for a few hours and experiencing the same formula several times. Push the 3 generator switches without the giant bloodied enemy catching you. Turn the 2 pipe valves without the demented doctor cutting you up. While this sort of thing was only PART of the chases in Outlast, it did result in the scares losing SOME of their effectiveness. Overall though, I do believe the makers did an excellent job mixing up who was chasing you (with unique, developed enemies might I add), where you were being chased, and how you escaped. I think there was a huge variety in the ways you were chased and scared, aside from the one recurring formula I mentioned.
    If I had to compare the scares, I would say they were similar to F.E.A.R., in that the majority of your fear came from not knowing when you'd find another enemy, and going through a very creepy, well-made environment.

I'd also like to touch on the horror aspects of the game. There is an extensive amount of blood and gore, though I never found it to be over the top or distracting, and there is literally nothing that the game's creators won't subject you to. From making you watch as your fingers get cut off, to ending a near-death chase by falling onto a pile of guts and bodies, to stumbling across a mutated patient jerking it in the corner of his cell, there is an impressive amount of effort and thought in the horror and environment in the game. It's a good variety of horrors that will keep you disgusted and afraid. This in turn contributes a good amount to the atmosphere.

The game's atmosphere is fantastic; this, tied with the gameplay and chase mechanics, had to be my favorite aspect of Outlast. The game's creators really put a great deal of effort into breaking the fourth wall. There are many details that the player can appreciate, from the bloody footprints your character leaves after stepping in guts and gore, to the cracks on your camera lens after you drop it, to the well made game controls and mechanics (which get their own section in this review). In addition, the music and sounds are very well made and appropriately used. Your character has fearful breathing and sobs that realistic rather than gimmicky. This game did an excellent job of pulling the player into the demented and bloody world of Mount Massive Asylum.

The gameplay mechanics are another favorite aspect of Outlast. The makers created controls and mechanics that are very detailed and realistic, but are still practical and used in the game. An example is the ability to turn your head behind you as you run for your life. In addition, the range of basic motions are present and well made. Your character can run, vault, climb, shimmy across a ledge, jump, and hide from enemies, and it's all made so smoothly you really do feel like you're in the game. If you really want to get an idea for the range of motion your character is capable of, the full official trailer is actually very accurate. Pretty much everything in the trailer's chase (2:45 to the end) is do-able in the actual game, down to getting pulled out of cover by your chaser if you weren't fast enough!

For me, the game's only weakpoint had to be the ending. The last level reminded me greatly of the last level of F.E.A.R & felt weak. I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers
  65. Jan 2, 2014
    Outlast is a polished experience. It's a great scare and it does what its job quite nice. It's just that it's job is not quite stretched for a full fledged game. It's a rollercoaster in a lunatic asylum. It has good visuals, great sound (and music) and some pretty basic stealth gameplay. That's it. The story is a mess (there isn't one), as it doesn't develop at all and beside the "hide in the corner, wait for him to turn his back, now go" there is no gameplay at all. It reminds a bit of Mirror's Edge without the cool moves or level design. It lasts about five hours and at about 2 hours in you will see the limitations of the enemies, so the fear effect won't affect you any more.

It's great for some good scares, it has some great baddies and it creates pure tension, but it's hollow. You'll do the "collect 3 stuff" or "flip 2 switches" 5 or 6 times and that's the game. I must say I was hyped for this game but utlimately I can't help but feel disappointed. I expected at least a better story development and some puzzles. There are none. Nevertheless, it's got a ton of jumpscares and it's great if you want to use it for that. I disliked the battery searching, it didn't feel "survival genre" at all. It felt survival when I was being chased.

At least the checkpoints are good and the polish level is unexpected for this type of (indie) game. The night vision effect looks suberb and everything looks and sounds as it should.

It is scary, it has atmosphere, but it doesn't qualify as a full game. It just feels hollow.
  66. Dec 31, 2013
    With a influx of action horror games or lack luster "horror" games example Machine For Pigs, it's wonderful to see a breath of fresh air. The game is the BEST horror game to come out, excellent atmosphere, interesting story and some great characters. Simply fantastic.

For a more in depth review here's my video http://youtu.be/Aets5kSayd8
  67. Dec 31, 2013
    Très bon petit jeu, bien flippant et très bien fait.
    La DA et l'effet avec la camèra donne vraiment bien l'écran, on est impressioner par certaines scène qui nous glace le sang, un très très bon survival
  68. Dec 29, 2013
    I've played just about all survival-horror games, and I was really looking forward to this one being kind of like Fatal Frame. I quickly learned it wasn't like that at all.

It sets the atmosphere very well, but if you're observant you will know what's coming. Example: Zero places to hide for many rooms, the instant you get to the room with a switch, there's a locker you can hide in.
    Flip switch, hide in locker, wait for monster to patrol. Apparently I missed out on a great deal of the jump scares by doing this, but when it's set up so obvious, I couldn't avoid doing it. Another example of this is how there will be a couple of obstacles you have to jump over while going down a long hallway. 90% of the time, you're about to get chased and have to jump over those boxes again.

Then I learned you can just agro the mobs and kite them around until you find where you need to go, then circle around and close a few doors and you're home free.

I experienced some bugs as well, most were minor, but one major in the theater room. The scripted even when you get the key wouldn't trigger and I was left having to quit and load up the save (meaning I had to do the entire theater over again.) Had to do this twice before it finally triggered and I was allowed to continue.

It was also pretty easy to get immersed (suggest wearing headphones and turning off the lights.) Even when I'd get really into it, the game would break this immersion with the ridiculously short battery life, where I'd have to stop and change the battery. It left me feeling annoyed at times, and seemed fairly trivial considering I never had less than 5 batteries in my inventory at a time, even when I was burning through them in the dark areas.

The ending seems to be mixed with most players, it left me wanting more to be honest.

I didn't use any walkthroughs (I did google the theater bit when it bugged out though.) I played on normal difficulty, 3 hours 25 minute play time.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased (on sale) and played it. Was a decent game, wouldn't say it's amazing or great but a worthwhile experience nonetheless.
  69. Dec 28, 2013
    нежданным.
    Благодарность играл.
    Слышал сделали.

Понимаю
  70. Dec 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, I started off playing with mouse and keyboard but the 360 controller is by far the best way to play .
    This game is right up my alley, the story is twisted and the setting is the last place on earth I would want to be in person, this is the first horror game since Silent Hill 2 that I have been scared and had to really push myself to proceed into the nightmare
    which is going on in the game The tension in this game is awesome, having to always use the camera to see is a simple but very affective way of adding to the scary atmosphere and the fact you are defenceless sounds crap but offers excellent gameplay trying to survive the horror .
    I wont go into the story at all but in my opinion it just gets it right, I finished the game last night and would recommend this game to anyone, except people with heart conditions lol The game is best played alone, at night with the surround sound pumped up Enjoy
  71. Dec 26, 2013
    Excellent Graphics, the storyline is a little numb, but who cares, I played the game to have some fun and get scared. Not kidding, this game is so scary it can actually make you cry.
  72. Dec 25, 2013
    This is such a great game, but I have two problems. Firstly, I found the variety of missions very boring as I found myself finding for example: 3 fuses for a fuse box COUNTLESS times and it annoyed me. Secondly, I just found the platforming horrible. On a good note, this is a beautiful game and had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Definitely worth the price of admission.
  73. Dec 24, 2013
    Outlast is your next so-called-horror game. That's it. It can bore you to death if you aren't prone to jumpscares.
    Good premise, promising camera gimmick, and it all goes repetitive and boring in no time.
    Remember: Silent Hill 2 had firearms. And it was so scary you won't sleep for the next week.
    Outlast is just a 'Call of Duty' of this new SlenderoAmnesia horror genre big, explosive
    rollercoaster of epitome of Absolutely empty and hollow. If it's enough for you buy it. If you are searching for something deeper, for something psychological pass. Expand
  74. Dec 23, 2013
    I will admit to this, the first half hour is pretty scary. However, as a game, it is not that much fun. After the first half hour, the game turns from being a horror experience to being a simple game where you have to activate switches and the like. And it gets frustrating too. I read that there is a stealth element, but I couldn't find it since cover is only available in select areas in the form of a bed or locker (hence to active stealth while exploring the game). Certain monsters (mutated asylum patients) seem to have eyes in the back of their heads, finding you in the dark even if you are being careful, making the game frustrating at times, making you have to memorize movement patterns and using trial and error to get through the game. The problem with trial and error is that any feeling of fear is replaced by annoyance and scenes that may seem scary at first lose any horror element when repeated. Also, because the "monsters" and scares are similar throughout the game, the frustrating segments reduce the effect of later scares since we then get used to the ambiance and the kind of scares this game throws at us. If you are very curious (as I was), get it on a steam sale when it's less than 10$. These guys know how to create good atmosphere, but the shock factor goes away quick and you are left with annoying gameplay mechanics. Also, I don't find the running mechanic well implemented, but I seem to be a minority on that issue. Expand
  75. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is an amazing horror game, and coming from someone real critical about horror, this is pretty good. Just need to cut back on the gore by a LOT. This game is gorier than Manhunt, and that one of the goriest games ever made. Plus, putting nudity and sex in a game is dumb, only a pervert would do that. That ending in FC3 was gross. But overall, I give it a 5 because of the nudity and overexcessive blood and gore. Expand
  76. Dec 13, 2013
    Simply the most frightening game I've ever played. It presents a shockingly well polished game for a budget title price, and has become my favorite surprise hit of 2013. Outlast masters both the art of pop out scares and a slow burn tense atmosphere, made much more compelling by music that reacts to the situation and dozens of small touches like seeing your hands as you clutch to the edge of a corridor to peek around the next hallway or the heavy ragged breathing of the player's character exerted from fleeing for his life but desperately trying to keep quiet in his hiding place to escape the horrors chasing him. Also effective in building the tension is that the player's only way to see in the dark is through the night vision of the camera... which gives the world a very limited distance green/black view and also will quickly drain the batteries. You force yourself to creep through darkness and use up every bit of electricity from each set of batteries even though your vision is failing just to save those precious batteries for when you can't make it without them. As the song by Radiohead goes "You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts (or in this case, scares!)"

It's not a long game, the designers seem to know better than to wear out their welcome and at 8 hours of play time I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth for a lifetime memorable experience. Thankfully I'm old and moved out because I'd owe my mother's "swear jar" a sock full of nickles for the outbursts I've had while fleeing in this game. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a good scary story.
  77. Dec 12, 2013
    I don't have a lot of experience with these survival horrors and it's not usually the sort of game I would bother with. Gameplay was satisfying despite not being able to shoot/kill anything or anyone and while it was scary it parts, you get the feeling that it could have been executed a lot better because you kind of know when something scary is about to happen too predictable.
    A major
    issue for me was performance. It don't see why it needed to eat so many frames, it didn't look that amazing to me. Expand
  78. Dec 12, 2013
    While I didn't find it to be as scary/special as some claimed it to be, I found the game to be pretty good. The biggest let down is that it felt very predictable and it was a short game. As Red Barrels' first game however this is a good start, and I hope they can learn from this and create something that is several steps ahead of Outlast. If you haven't tried it, I say give the game a go. It's not that expensive. Expand
  79. Dec 9, 2013
    This is one of my favorite horror games so far. Philosophically, they did a great job of making the user feel like they were never completely helpless, a pit that Amnesia seemed to fall into very often. Visually, the best. The appearance and atmosphere were perfect given the story and setting. There were occasions when the enemies were shown in the light for too long but this is only a minor issue. The ending... it worked for me but there were certainly parts of the story lost within the series of notes. I'll be looking forward to the next release by red barrels. Expand
  80. Dec 7, 2013
    Best horror game around. The map is huge, and the graphics are great. Hiding, sprinting, crouching, jumping, sliding, etc. are all flawless and make for great evasions. The scares did wear off a little bit near the end. I actually didn't like the ending. You never know what will happen next. Get Outlast!
  81. Dec 6, 2013
    First of all. GREAT! All i could ever want of this game would be MORE. This is a psychological horror, burying deep down into your mind and F*cks with it. Roughly.
    There are 3 things that makes a game great.

1. Gameplay. Is the gameplay easy to control? is it easy maneuvering in the world? Yes. everything feels smooth, and fluid. this also includes possibilities and interactivity.
    atmosphere is also included here. Outlast nails all of them.

2. Plot. Is it a good story? Do you WANT to complete the objectives? What motivates you? well, yes. first, i felt pretty drawn forward by the fact that i was scared sh!tless. And also, you develop a personal hate to the bossing psychopaths in the asylum. So killing them brutally becomes the extreme wish. this is where the game wins.

3. Engine. Graphics, sounds, animations. 4-5 here. but for the price, i'm not disappointed.

First, play amnesia. Then play this. you'll love it if you loved amnesia. i'd even prefer this over amnesia

Best horror game. EVER.
  82. Dec 3, 2013
    I am not experienced with horror games and in all honesty this is only the second horror game I've played myself, with the other being Amnesia.

One of the things that eventually frustrated me about Amnesia was that I felt like the core gameplay ended up being stuck in a big dark area with an objective or puzzle to solve which you must do while avoiding the monster(s) patrolling the
    area. Considering this game's gameplay is literally identical to Amnesia (with the exception of no sanity meter) this game falls down the same hole. Way, way too often does this scenario happen to where you have to wait in a locker or crouch in some dark corner and eventually die enough times to memorize the AI pattern and sprint your way to where you're going. It got to the point where whenever I thought of playing Outlast, I thought of waiting, and I'm sure that's not what any game developer wants their player to think.

But don't get me wrong, on the "horror" side of things this game has some very scary moments. I was by far most scared during the first 30 minutes or so of the game, I thought the introduction to the asylum was done quite masterfully and during that first section, simply looking down one of the long, empty hallways filled me with dread. To me, everything started to kind of go downhill once the very cliche "Blackout Basement Breaker Run" kicked in. This game is loaded with cliches and it really hurts the experience of the game.

Plotwise, the game starts out promising when you have no idea what's really going on, but as the game winds along it just falls apart culminating in a spectacularly awful ending. In the character department, there's really nothing remarkable here except for one specific character met about halfway through the game who despite only existing in the plot for about a maximum of 20 minutes is actually one of my favorite new characters of 2013. Otherwise all of the few actual recurring characters in this game (which is limited to you, the token religious crazy and the big guy stalking you the whole game) are remarkably dull of any kind of life with the exception of the protagonist's horrible mental dialogue that takes place in the form of notes he writes. He writes sarcastically about the asylum's environment and its characters, while in the midst of his life or death situation and as a result his personality comes across as detached from what the hell is going on around him and just kind of jerk-like. Aside from that one thing I don't have any problems with the character, and I liked his realistic breathing and I especially loved his full body awareness.

But nevertheless I still think this game is recommendable, but that may just be due to my lack of experience or knowledge of the horror genre. It's a fine, short adventure with a well done atmosphere and some very doom-impending moments of walking in a massive pitch-dark sewer or a creepy, dead hallway where you have no idea what is around the infinite numbers of blind corners. Just expect things to get tedious.
  83. Dec 2, 2013
    Play this game with the lights off and with headphones, it makes the experience a whole lot better.
    This game is great! Very tense and will make you jump an awful lot.
    The only thing I would say that honestly takes away from this experience is what feels like fetch quests. (Sneak through area while collecting 3 items or 3 switches or 3 generators ect. to continue.) Those parts made the
    game drag on and on. Really the game could have done the gimmick once and it would have been fine, but you'll notice the pattern repeat after a while (it only happens a few times though thankfully, but enough to notice).
    On the very positive side, it is a very fresh take on the survival horror genre, and it will have you changing your pants a few times a session. Creepy atmosphere, awesome stealth mechanics and the few chase scenes are where the game really shines. Overall I would give the game this rating due to the great atmosphere they pulled off. It would have been a near perfect score if they only added some more variety in the objectives.

TLDR: If you liked the first amnesia but wanted more action this is for you. For those who want to be scared out of their minds.
  84. Dec 1, 2013
    Outlast takes a very popular approach for its Horror part A DARK PLACE ARMLESS SEE BUNCH OF CREEPOS TO COME on you .

Recently i just played Slender The Arrival didn't tried machine of pigs) and i was pretty disappointing with the gameplay it offered Now i was having Outlast with meh expectation but i was happy to see that most of the things in the game was at right places It was
    not a perfect game and had some flaws but overall Worth to play Expand
  85. Nov 29, 2013
    If you appreciate jump scares, linear stores, no puzzles and dark environments, you'll LOVE this game. If you enjoyed the mechanics of Slenderman then its likely this is for you. If however instead, you like games with some depth, such an Amnesia, then maybe this game won't be to your palette. Frankly, I feel quite angry that this game achieved such a high score, which encouraged me to purchase it. It certainly says something about how there's no accounting for taste. Expand
  86. Nov 23, 2013
    I love scary movies and games that can make you jump. This game is the closest thing to a scary as you will get for a long time. Lots of spots make you jump and keep you at the edge of your seat. Great work on this game, good visuals with creepy music and noises make this a must have for people looking for a game like this. But with that said there is many scenes in the game that could bother some, def. not for young kids to play lots of adult content. Great game all around! Expand
  87. Nov 22, 2013
    Great game, it was really scary. The music, the camera thing, it's a really good game. The only think that i didn't like was the final of the history :c

Good game Btw
  88. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome, scary and refreshing game. Finally a great horror game worth playing again. Hopefully the developers continue the franchise to bring out even better/scarier sequels or prequels.

Red Barrel Games, you guys are awesome! Keep up the good work and continue making terrifying games. :-)

PS. The next installment could be a little more original/inspiring. That's the only critique I
    can find for Outlast. Expand
  89. Nov 19, 2013
    Read this review before rating,you might change your mind.Its FOUR hours long,when Amnesia is a whole 8 hours,or 9 if you're a completionist.Its around 20 euros on steam,when you can get Amnesia for 15.Amnesia knows how to build an atmosphere and how to play its cards,while this game only uses jumpscares.Amnesia's atmosphere was based on the spooky,dark nature of everything,the environments,the noise,the jumpscares being very few and away from eachother,its monsters,wich you have to hide from,wich really gives you the sensation that you had as a child,when the lights went off and you were afraid of monsters getting out of your closet,and the story is just perfect in all details,while Outlast's is boring.Amnesia had gameplay in the form of puzzles,wich helped you wonder what will be in front of the mysterious locked door,while Outlast only had QTEs Expand
  90. Nov 17, 2013
    Nice game with great atmosphere of fear. For many players it would be really terrifying. But it really lacks some puzzles, just go there and do than with no getting killed. So gameplay gets really repetitive and boring after some play time. And the ending really lacks something. It is a bit Good game, but it could be better,
  91. Nov 16, 2013
    The scariest game that ive ever played. Red Barrel, good job man. Hope to see more titles by you guys especially on consoles to. Will always have Outlast on my shelves til i day right next to doom, resident evil, and silent hill. 10 out of 10 all the way. Real horror reminds me of Chainsaw massacre or jeepers creepers.
  92. Nov 13, 2013
    This is by far one of the most scariest games I've ever played. More than Amnesia the Dark Descent or the Slender.

To enjoy the max experience, use headset, crank it all the way up, turn off any lights, and play the game.

I actually had to turn this game offf several times because i couldn't handle the pressure. The build-up for all the jump scares are really nice.
  93. Nov 12, 2013
    Game gives chills. Story is great,graphics are great, THE SOUND IS BEST.The sound in this game is sooo good, that i can't find any words to describe it. High quality horror game Giving it 10 with no doubt.
  94. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing, even surpasses Amnesia the dark descent in graphics, textures, and the scare factor. Great story, always keeps you guessing. Just when you think you've finished, and you're home free, you aren't. The game keeps you constantly on your toes, and it does not rely on jump scares, as does some other scary PC games. Truly a great game, and a must have. Camera used in the game is almost essential, and without it you are almost blind (Depending on whether you increase the brightness) Very scary and atmospheric. Great story, and very good plot. Expand
  95. Nov 10, 2013
    First things first, this game looks freakin amazing. It is dripping with atmosphere. The soundwork is also stelar, but unfortunaly those are the only things that are constant throughout the game. The game starts out really strong, but the final third of the game is quite disapointing and not very scary. The game starts using more jumpscares and less tension the more you advance through the narrative. In the end, I still think it is a good experience. Expand
  96. Nov 9, 2013
    This game is... excellent! It's a horror based on crazy people which is a good idea and the Asylum is well done. Very good graphics, I like them most, also the story is exciting, but sometimes it's really, really scary and intense. I hope you will make some more games like this one in the future!
  97. Nov 9, 2013
    I dont know if the game was worth the money but it was deffinately worth my time. Outlast is quite short like most survival horror games. The graphics are amazing. The story is decent and the gameplay is also great. if this game was as long as amnesia it would be almost as good as amnesia. Definitely better than a machine for pigs though.
  98. Nov 9, 2013
    A game that will terrify you to begin with (to the point I screamed aloud), however you do get used to it but the story keeps you interested right until the end, (I didn't like the ending but wont spoil it for you). Overall a good game worth playing.
  99. Nov 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Driving up to this asylum let my heart beat so hard at the beginning. As you find your way into the building the atmosphere is numbing and overwhelming. This feeling won't change for the beginning and as you encounter your first inmates and dark corners and hallways somewhere you reach the apex of horror and fright as your protagonist breathes deeply and slowly in fear. This feeling is being projected on the player and you can feel the anguish of your guy going through hell.
    Unfortunately there is a plateau in atmosphere where nothing new happens You encounter the same type of enemy over and over again (that is why I only gave 8/10) until... you reach the evil and mangled doctor. At this point the game takes a turn and forces a new fear onto the player. But is this the End? Who knows? :D
  100. Nov 6, 2013
    Outlast is a game with good potential that was marred by some poor design choices. The environment is good, and the general idea of hiding is well executed. Yet for a game that clocks in at around 5 hours, it manages to be repetitive in it's design. I understand there's only so much you can do with the concept, but the game literally becomes go here, turn 3 valves, flip 3 breakers, etc. While you hide from a guy who shows up to investigate each time you do it. This repetition removes any sense of fear that could be had, as if you know the person is always coming you cannot possibly be scared by them. A more minor complaint I would have would be the ending, which to put it bluntly, sucked hardcore. Outlast has a ton of potential and some great ideas, but they weren't executed as well as they could be. Overall, the game is probably overrated. It looks great and it plays well, but at the end of the day it's just repetitive and frankly the worst thing of all: It's just not scary. Expand

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.