Outlast PC

8.4

1. Sep 4, 2013
    Perhaps, in the past two or three years, this is the scariest and most atmospheric game.
    Outlast can safely bring the textbooks to create atmospheric games. I think, or to be more precise I hope that thanks to games such as Outlast, survival-horror genre, or horrors can be reborn in the form in which it was once born.
    Game developers studio Red Barrels cheers! And a special thank
    Game developers studio Red Barrels cheers!
    And a special thank you for adding text Russian localization a bow and thanks to all Russian-speaking players!
    Bravo!
    10 out of 10.
  2. Sep 4, 2013
    Wasted potential. So much wasted potential.
    This game lures you in with some great graphics and a neat little camera gimmick. To be fair to the game the graphics are gorgeously rendered. The camera's Night Vision effect in particular is well done and it's nice to actually see Mile's hands when he actually performs an action.
    However, the experience starts to fall apart almost
    Wasted potential. So much wasted potential.

However, the experience starts to fall apart almost immediately. What's wrong with this game? Well where do I begin? For one, the setting. Asylums are seriously overplayed as horror settings. We get it, crazy people are scary. The so-called scares are predictable and hokey. The story is the same warmed over pap we've seen over and over and over and over and over again. An evil Mega Corporation has been performing unethical experiments that got completely out of control blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Mercernaries blah blah Ham fisted religious undertones blah. There's no mystery at all. Furthermore it falls into the exact same trap that the Dead Space games fell into. The graphic designers are so proud of their work on the monsters that they just can't bear to keep their babies in the dark, so they have the monsters prance around in plain view like they're so happy to be seen. Also, the poorly designed stealth mechanics make enemy encounters frustrating rather than scary.

I see that the game was heavily marketed as being "designed by veterans of some of the biggest franchises in history." This is a flaw as far as I can see. These veterans just kept on doing the same thing they've always done, and the result is that they did the same thing we've always done and the game falls into the same traps it always has. These developers could have learned so much from the Amnesia series since it's obvious that Outlast desperately wants to be Amnesia. The developers would have benefited from another playthrough.
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    As said before, the game loses his essence of horror itself on the very 10~30 minutes. After that is "go there", "oh, there's a very predictable problem and you have to take another route", "oh a bad guy on the way and you gotta run and hide, hearing your heavy breathing" etc...

Horror?! Seriously, Gone Home was scarier. Seems like a bad movie where you can't wait for it to finish

Horror?! Seriously, Gone Home was scarier.

Seems like a bad movie where you can't wait for it to finish and say for sure "yeah it sucks".
    It amazes me how a game that took me about 4 hours to finish, bored me as much Outlast did.

The idea of "can't fight any enemy" made me think that "this could be interesting", but the AI is really easy to outrun. I didn't ran out of battery neither died on the entire game play (pretty much the entire meta-game).

And what about the notes?! Some crack-wise spiderman-like comments from a character that runs the entire game...

I was expecting much, much more from this game. Very disappointing.

I'm giving 3 because the gore was delivered as promised.
  4. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Outlast" is probably one of the best horror games released in the past time, but it has its problems.

The atmosphere is pretty good, but most of the tension comes from all the crazy people surrounding you and the corpses that are ripped apart in the most disgusting ways.

People may be having another opinion on this, but I don't like that there are so many jumpscares in this game. "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" for example doesn't have this many jumpscares but is way scarier due to its amazing atmosphere.

The camera with night vision is a great idea, I like it more that lanterns or flashlights because you can take a closer look at the amazing monster design without getting found.

"Outlast" gets a bit over-violent in the end, I don't think it is necessary to put hundreds of litres of blood on the walls and the floor to make the player fear the final enemy.

The end of "Outlast" is pure in my opinion. I never like it when the main character dies at the end of a game, but in a horror game it just feels completely unnecessary. The player feels sorry for Miles because he has to go through all of this and in the end the developers think "Let's just kill Miles. That'll make a great ending!"

Even though it has it little problems and the worst game ending since Mass Effect 3, "Outlast" is a very good horror game with a good atmosphere and a deep story.
  5. Aug 31, 2014
    For the first hour, Outlast was genuinely terrifying. I was immersed in the rather spooky, if a bit cliché setting and tentatively moving forward, progressing at a snail's pace for fear of what was around the corner. But after that first hour or so, the linear level design and objectives begin to feel formulaic, with enemy chase scenes feeling overused to the point that one becomesFor the first hour, Outlast was genuinely terrifying. I was immersed in the rather spooky, if a bit cliché setting and tentatively moving forward, progressing at a snail's pace for fear of what was around the corner. But after that first hour or so, the linear level design and objectives begin to feel formulaic, with enemy chase scenes feeling overused to the point that one becomes slightly desensitised to the jump scares. The same could be said with the excessive blood and gore. I think Outlast could've been improved if it relied a little more on subtle scares and building suspense instead of the overt 'in your face' approach that the game takes throughout its entire length. That's not to say the game isn't somewhat scary. Outlast does it better than most, but it's hardly outstanding.

The story is unfortunately another weak point. To put it bluntly, it's uninspired, predictable and the ending is underwhelming to say the least. On the bright side, both the visuals and audio are of high quality, the core gameplay mechanics work decently, and your character controls smoothly.

Overall rating: 7.4/10
  6. Mar 26, 2014
    The atmosphere and visuals are very well done, and lend greatly to the overall experience of the game. As a veteran to horror titles, however, I found the 'horror' aspect of the game to be somewhat lacking. Outlast certainly has it's share of creepy moments and well timed jump scares and is still a great game overall, but beyond the polish it felt as though something more was missing.The atmosphere and visuals are very well done, and lend greatly to the overall experience of the game. As a veteran to horror titles, however, I found the 'horror' aspect of the game to be somewhat lacking. Outlast certainly has it's share of creepy moments and well timed jump scares and is still a great game overall, but beyond the polish it felt as though something more was missing.

My one real gripe with the game is that the vast majority of enemies you encounter in the game all follow a similar 'search and chase' AI that takes little effort to outsmart, which greatly detracts from the immersion and fear of evading and escaping them. There were also several times throughout the game when the "activate X number of things while evading a patrol" mechanic was used, all of which boiled down to performing the exact same "stay out of sight and move when they move" tactic, which took away from the overall experience for me. There were also a few times where I would become more frustrated than frightened over trying to deal with and evade enemies as I progressed.

All of that said however, Outlast is still a very satisfying game to play, and is worth the asking price. Gameplay is smooth and fluid, character interaction with the environment is an uncommon and welcome touch, and the night vision mechanic is implemented very well. While it's not a game I would play through again, I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for another title in the horror genre to keep them occupied.
  7. Jan 9, 2014
    The atmosphere and sound of this game make it a true horror experience. It gives you that feeling of wanting to play to finish the game but also not wanting to play due to the fear it brings.

Slightly linear at times and repetitive objectives slightly drag down the score but well worth a go for horror fans.
  8. Feb 23, 2014
    If you want something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then this is the game to play. It's not as atmospheric as Amnesia, nor is the storyline as intriguing, but you will still love Outlast start to finish.

The scares are all done the right way. You will find yourself jumping out of your seat many times. You will find yourself in constant paranoia and getting bursts of fear-induced adrenaline for the large chunk of the game. The gameplay isn't mind-blowing, but still holds up extremely well.

The only negative point I'll give this game is that some of the level design is very poor, and you could find yourself running around in circles or possibly getting killed because it can be cramped, confusing and repetitive, though that doesn't ruin the game in any sense. Overall, if horror games are your thing, this'll probably be in your top 10.
  9. May 25, 2014
    Good game, an actually good looking scary game, not many are like that. This game does not do a lot of cheap jump scares even though it has a few, the scares most comes from the environment it creates, it has so much tension that the first 2 or 3 hours of play will likely to be broken down into 40minute sessions so you can take a break in between.

The games main problem is that it loses

The games main problem is that it loses its scare about half way in, you are no longer as frightened and do not feel as vulnerable, because evading the enemy is not too difficult, and that a close up on an enemy's deformed face really loses the scare, because no matter how scary and menacing the enemy, it is not as scary as the unknown, the shadow, a sound etc...

But overall, a lot of fun and scares, especially considering that its a new studio and an indie game.
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    Nice game with great atmosphere of fear. For many players it would be really terrifying. But it really lacks some puzzles, just go there and do than with no getting killed. So gameplay gets really repetitive and boring after some play time. And the ending really lacks something. It is a bit Good game, but it could be better,
  11. Mar 10, 2014
    If this would be a horror, it should be different. I can say that the beggining was the best, then everything exagerated. Why you have to walk so much and suddenly you hit a ' crazed ' employee. This is not what I expected, truly, my opinion. I was waiting for a action-horror.
  12. May 27, 2014
    The developers of Outlast were smart in that they basically borrowed elements from different horror media to create an epic horror game that you won't soon forget.

A lot of Amnesia is borrowed in that you can't fight or do anything remotely offensive- it's just you and your ability to stay hidden. Fortunately, the *things* you're hiding from can't see in the dark. And, boy is there plenty of dark for you to hide in. As a matter of fact, without the night vision, this game would be altogether unplayable.

The atmosphere is one that is horrifying even when not much is going on and that's mainly due to the incredible sounds that keep the game going. There's a constant and relentless eery feeling that there's something right around the corner.

Now as for the story, I personally felt it could have been fleshed out a bit more, and I felt the ending to be a bit disappointing. But I don't want to spoil anything about the game, so I'll leave you to come to any conclusions yourself about that.

I'd recommend this game to ANYONE who's PC can handle it and would advise that you use headphones or your surround sound system (if playing on a TV) The game truly relies on the aforementioned atmospheric sounds to create a unique and unforgettable experience.
  13. Jun 3, 2014
    Not so many games have this unique feel of atmosphere to them these days. Though the writing and characters are not that unique and experimental as the other aspects of the game suggest, this survival horror game has a well-designed flow and balanced gameplay, which is coherent with its story.

In my opinion the weakest part of the game is its writing, content and character designs, specifically its main antagonist whose appearance and nature makes an absolute flaw in the player's immersion in this hyper-realistic looking world.
  14. Oct 24, 2013
    Pros:
    - Horrific atmosphere, intense music.
    - Gory - Great level design, realistic graphics - Epic ending - Takes about three days to finish Good because the game is repetitive as is. - A few surprises but not enough - Camera's nightmode adds extra horror - One of the scariest games out there Cons: - Same enemy repeated tens of times - Not so scary ghosts - Repeating
    Pros:
    - Horrific atmosphere, intense music.
    - Gory
    - Great level design, realistic graphics
    - Epic ending
    - Takes about three days to finish Good because the game is repetitive as is.
    - A few surprises but not enough
    - Camera's nightmode adds extra horror
    - One of the scariest games out there

Cons:
    - Same enemy repeated tens of times
    - Not so scary ghosts
    - Repeating patterns: Find a key, jump in a vent, walk a ledge, run from a monster
    - Somewhat cliché story
    - A lot of lost potential
  15. Feb 24, 2014
    Scariest game I've played so far easily. Does a good job of balancing jump scares along with just overall creepiness and atmosphere. Was slightly disappointed in the story by the end of it but that's just me. Overall very good game.
  16. May 19, 2014
    A solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is aA solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is a good game that does a very good job at what it was made for. Expand
  17. Aug 21, 2015
    What Outlast needed in order to shine was a bit of subtlety. A few shadows, maybe dead bodies after a long time creates anticipation. Having played Amnesia, I was a bit familiar with the mechanics. Hide from supernatural enemies and run. However, I wasn't too impressed by the protagonist here being so ridiculously helpless. A lot of times, the game just made me irk at the fact that I wasWhat Outlast needed in order to shine was a bit of subtlety. A few shadows, maybe dead bodies after a long time creates anticipation. Having played Amnesia, I was a bit familiar with the mechanics. Hide from supernatural enemies and run. However, I wasn't too impressed by the protagonist here being so ridiculously helpless. A lot of times, the game just made me irk at the fact that I was surrounded by all sorts of melee weapons but couldn't use any of them against my assailants which could be easily killed. Sometimes, the frustration was such, the player character dying made feel happy. I though if he was such a **** he deserved it. The game also had exaggerated too many dead bodies and horror elements to the point it eventually felt too common to be scary and eventually turned boring. It was just trying too hard and this ruined it for me. The camcorder was a nice touch, but I needed more. If you like horror stories, you'll find a bit of it here but nothing as good as Amnesia's. Overall, a good game, but nothing too special. If you like survival horror games, it's worth it, I suppose, otherwise, this might leave you frustrated and bored. Expand
  18. Sep 14, 2013
    If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist.If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist. The only problem I have with the game is that I wish it was much longer., but that is such a minor complaint that I don't think it should effect it's overall score. If you like horror games then definitely go and buy this, worth every penny. Expand
  19. Jan 3, 2014
    WOW! Just WOW! That game is the scariest I've ever played in almost 30 years of gaming history! Exceptionally well done, ambience is top notch, controls are responsive and tension is extreme! Very graphic though; it might not be for all tastes. If you enjoyed this great movie "Grave Encounters", this game is definitely for you.
  20. Sep 19, 2013
    The atmosphere in this game is amazing,so is the sound and the graphics are very well made, I have played about 2 hours and cant stop. Most horror games now are horrific... this is a very well made and has a lot of small details that add to the experience, you should buy this.
  21. Oct 11, 2013
    Its a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! ButIts a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! But nevertheless like many others i didnt like it much anyway. Also for the sequel a little more challenge and variation. Expand
  22. Jun 7, 2014
    This is one of the best horror games I have played. Mind you, it is more like a walk (or run) through a haunted house than a game. There are no puzzles elements other than hunting for camcorder batteries, crawlspaces to squeeze through, or various objects like key cards and fuses to get you on your way. There is no combat. All you can do is run and hide.
    I have been bored by other
    I have been bored by other games in the genre with little to do but explore in the dark (Amnesia x2, Among the Sleep, Year Walk, Gone Home).
    Something is different about Outlast. The atmosphere. The sound design. The Lighting. It is just a great creepy experience. The characters themselves don't have the best graphics and animation, but look at the original Silent Hill. People eat that up and the graphics are horrible by today's standards. Outlast sets a mood and keeps it going.
    Sure you can play it on easy and take a lot of hits and just run through the whole thing. The check points are not far apart, so nobody is going to be frustrated by having to replay long passages. But if you are as careful and possible and play with an "I don't want to die" attitude, you will run for your life and your heart will pound as you hope you chose the right bed under which to hide.
    For a $20 indie game it is excellent. It is long enough to get to play through a few different environments with a few novel twist to the formula, but it isn't so long that it gets too repetitive and tedious.
    It is more like watching a movie than playing a video game. It reminds me of the final scene of The Shinning when Danny is running for his life from Jack, except you are Danny and you are running and hiding for your life. I don't think a game has ever gotten me so wound up that I can't play it anywhere near bedtime. It has been a long time since a game did that, as some of the Dead Space and Silent Hill games did.
  23. May 10, 2014
    Outlast is one of the horror games that'll leave you on the edge of your seats as you frantically try to escape and hide from your pursuers.

Some commendable aspects of Outlast is its phenomenal sound engine and atmospherically well-detailed environment. Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty

Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty lasted for about 6 hours, and that can be quite dettering for people who are interested to pick this up (Price as of right now is 19.99 w/o any discounts).

Another "problem" is its horrible, asinine and abrupt ending...

Definitely worth picking up during a sale any time, any day. Awesome horror game!
  24. Jun 16, 2014
    I often forgot this was a game. Outlast does such an amazing job of creating these unique identities for the handful of psychos stalking you in the asylum that it created this sense of realism I have not found in a game in a long time.
    I dodged this game for months thinking it would just be full of cheap jump scares, but it is not. It has a very detailed world to explore and a very solid story to unravel.
    It became apparent at some point that the developers were afraid the game was turning out to be too short and started stretching out the gameplay. This stretched gameplay is not bad quality, but serves to add a lot of question marks to your thought pattern when you reach them.
    My only real complaint would be the rare but over-used character models for the more common variants. Occasionally, I would come across a character that I would think was someone I had already encountered before, only to find out it was just another NPC using the same model, which would remind me that this is only a game quickly.
    Overall, this game scared its way into my favorite games list. Watching my little cousin jump so much during the first five minutes that I thought he was going to damage my system was worth the base price alone. I was sad to read that Whistleblower concludes the story.
  25. Oct 25, 2013
    The scariest horror game i've ever played. Seriously, I do not know of a single horror game that's this scary. (and yes i've played Amnesia and Slender, Slender is terrible.)
  26. Oct 30, 2013
    Best horror game since Amnesia The Dark Descent. Towards the end, it looses its pace but its still a great game. Short, dark and frightening. This game will really test your nerves.
  27. Dec 31, 2013
    With a influx of action horror games or lack luster "horror" games example Machine For Pigs, it's wonderful to see a breath of fresh air. The game is the BEST horror game to come out, excellent atmosphere, interesting story and some great characters. Simply fantastic.

For a more in depth review here's my video http://youtu.be/Aets5kSayd8
  28. Aug 6, 2014
    It is scary, it is enough hard, plot is "fine" not extremely good but fine, cool ending.
    The atmosphere is amazing and some of the foes really "unusual", graphics are cool.
    The idea that you should record main happenings with the camera (it's not compulsory but you must use the camera to see something in the dark) makes everything similar to be in a movie like rec or esp, it's simply a great Idea!.
    As other similar games, you cannot fight foes only try to run but especially you will find yourself hiding, but remember that if they see you hiding they will still get you (of course) .
    Second only to amnesia:the dark descent just for the lack of little puzzles (and because amnesia cannot be defeated ) :D .
    One of my best purchases. I probably will buy the dlc as soon as it is on sale!
    85/100 and a 9 on metacritic as a little gift for the unknown producer!
  29. Sep 16, 2013
    This game is what Amnesia could've been. When I think about my favorite horror titles from all time, I think about Silent Hill 2, Penumbra Black Plague and now this one. This review is going to be made with comparisons to Amnesia the Dark Descent, as it is claimed to be one of the best horror games of all time, while I try to justify the score of 8/10.

The setting is an Asylum, which is

The setting is an Asylum, which is slightly overplayed in horror but there haven't actual horror games I've played in the past decade that actually happen in it's entirety within one and it follows the rules of horror splendidly. Anyone can die at any time, including the protagonist. Bad things will happen to him and, although the ending was horrid, it still fit within the archetype of a horror story which made me appreciate it.

The story is rather straightforward and somewhat clichéd. A company has reopened a massive asylum and has been performed not so ethical treatments within it that eventually go wrong. You are a journalist who's going to expose the company by breaking into the Asylum with only your wits and your trusty camera. Bad idea.

So what does Outlast do right, what does it do wrong, and why is it scary? I'll try to explain this in as much detail as possible.

The first comparison I will draw to Amnesia will happen right here, monster patrols. In Outlast, monster appearances are scripted, which is okay. The game is linear, the developers know where the player will come from and what his objective will be, they predict what they are going to do and react accordingly by preparing a nasty inmate to scare the balls out of you. This is done right in some instances, wrong in others. It's done wrong when you complete an objective and a monster just starts knocking at the closed door to break into where you are, and because you already expected this from playing all sorts of horror games were already hidden in the locker making it ineffective. It does it right when you get to an illuminated area thinking you're safe and the guy is actually hiding in the darkness in the distance, fully capable of seeing you and running at you. If you manage to escape and hide, and therefore not die because you have no means of defending yourself, he will eventually go away. Amnesia, does exactly the same thing, but this is where A.I. Behavior differs. The insane men of Outlast will keep patrolling a scripted path back and forth sometimes reacting to sound, sometimes not, while the monsters of Amnesia will wander off and eventually disappear once the music queue for monsters stops playing. Outlast manages to be scarier within this aspect, because the monsters are present and might catch you again, making you have to be on your toes constantly.

The game is DARK. There is no 'dark vision' besides the night vision of your camera which in itself is horrible. This is not a bad thing. The lack of visibility makes the player more anxious, mainly if you can hear the guy who's out to kill you. You don't know where he is, and if you run into him face first you won't expect it. A careful player, who uses his camera correctly, might be able to go through the entire game without triggering any of the non-scripted encounters. But even then your heart will be pumping the entire time as the game pulls some unexpected tricks on you. Like a patient who's on a bed starts screaming calling the mad surgeon who's out to kill you to that location.

Hiding spots aren't always effective, not even when a monster's seen you going into a room and closing the door to break line of sight. For the first half of the game you feel relatively safe when you see a hiding place but eventually the baddies will get smarter and actually check these places, making nowhere really safe. The player is never safe, and the game conveys this message splendidly in the second half as according to the rules of horror.

However, I believe the enemies are slower than you, only having heard of a friend of mine being caught while escaping from a baddie and getting instantly killed. Because you can always escape, there is less tension than in Amnesia where the grunts were always faster. But, they balance this out by actually checking hiding spots as I've mentioned earlier. If you're running in a panic for a long time you're liable to make mistakes that will kill you.

Graphically the game is just fine. I'm not a man who puts a lot of emphasis on graphics so I can't objectively tell the reader how good they are, the only thing actually bothering me in the game was how from a certain point to the very end, the blood on the main character's hands was always a wet texture. I understand that he never gets time to do anything about it, but the other explanation would be that he'd die from blood loss.

OverallI rate the game an 8/10, a good game in the horror genre. It makes the same mistakes as some of it's predecessors, but brings with it some changes that might scare a gamer who's experienced in the genre.
  30. Jul 16, 2014
    This is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who areThis is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who are hostile and some who aren't. The game does a fantastic job of bringing back the great horror games that we've been missing this past decade. Expand

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.