Overlord II PC

8.1

1. GregP
    Jul 2, 2009
    Like a lot of my friends, I had played the first Overlord and expected this to be a similar game. Having the same ups; fairly straightforward, lots of stuff for completionists, evil fun, and generic childish jokes. This recipee for the first one was a great success but got rather repetative quickly and I stopped playing it. Overlord 2 on the other hand has done away with alot of the Like a lot of my friends, I had played the first Overlord and expected this to be a similar game. Having the same ups; fairly straightforward, lots of stuff for completionists, evil fun, and generic childish jokes. This recipee for the first one was a great success but got rather repetative quickly and I stopped playing it. Overlord 2 on the other hand has done away with alot of the boring repatition. You may use the same means to getting the goal (IE possession) but everytime its abit different. Stealth, aggressive, puzzles. This has left me playing this game for hours on end and wanting more. You can really tell how the developers have matured from there previous game and really put something great out. This RPG adventure game is well suited for those that would enjoy some evil humor, single player campaign, and lite puzzle solving. Expand
  2. TehL.
    Jun 25, 2009
    Have to give it a straight ten. Awesome idea and game, and loved it to continue playing with my Overlord. I don't understand some critics (could have made ALOT better?) and wish they would be somewhat more objective or realistic. To Byron B.: You're distorting the vote by installing a demo (?) of the game that messed up your system? Game itself works flawlessly for me, and if Have to give it a straight ten. Awesome idea and game, and loved it to continue playing with my Overlord. I don't understand some critics (could have made ALOT better?) and wish they would be somewhat more objective or realistic. To Byron B.: You're distorting the vote by installing a demo (?) of the game that messed up your system? Game itself works flawlessly for me, and if you don't have directX I don't know how you play other games. Most of them WILL install it without asking, if it isn't already. Expand
  3. AlexC
    Jun 28, 2009
    I am really loving this game. It is better than the first in everyway - graphics are much improved; the game is more fun; you can bring your favourite minions back from the dead; you can now control or destroy towns; your minions can mount wolves, spiders etc; the game is longer and the missions much less linear...the list goes on! Most of the reviews are positive...if you aren't I am really loving this game. It is better than the first in everyway - graphics are much improved; the game is more fun; you can bring your favourite minions back from the dead; you can now control or destroy towns; your minions can mount wolves, spiders etc; the game is longer and the missions much less linear...the list goes on! Most of the reviews are positive...if you aren't sure, try the demo and see for yourself. I think this game will become more popular over the next few months. If you enjoyed the first game then I am sure you will LOVE this one! Expand
  4. JamesCP
    Jun 30, 2009
    This isn't a review it's a critique of the demo on steam. I had the same issue with the Overlord 2 Demo. Don't install it from steam, get it from a differen't site. I got mine from gamershell and it worked fine after the appauling steam demo. James
  5. GerardH
    Sep 15, 2009
    This plays more as an extension of the 1st. It's a solid sequel that is only hampered by amount of new comedy material and how linear it is, although the 2 times the minions break out in song is a ROFL experience. This is a sequel that is definitely more linear than the first. It seems like it could have been MUCH better as a sandbox type of game. Comparatively speaking, the 1st This plays more as an extension of the 1st. It's a solid sequel that is only hampered by amount of new comedy material and how linear it is, although the 2 times the minions break out in song is a ROFL experience. This is a sequel that is definitely more linear than the first. It seems like it could have been MUCH better as a sandbox type of game. Comparatively speaking, the 1st feels real open for the majority of the maps, the 2nd feels like you have 1 path to take. Overall, IGN is extremely wrong and biased in their review. Expand
  6. padDIAGLOMBORD
    Aug 27, 2009
    Not a bad game- its main flaw is its instability - it keeps dropping out- often the computer needs a re-boot before the program will run again! (I have a fairly high-spec PC with 9300 Quad-core and NVIIA GeForce GTX 280 and 4 Gb ram- so the computer SHOULD handle most things thrown at it!)
  7. Jul 21, 2011
    There's more stuff to do than in Overlord 1, but the scenery is pretty generic and uninspired. Also, O1 felt a little more open-ended and free than this one. I get the "go here do that" kind of feeling when I'm playing quests.
  8. Jul 21, 2015
    Much like its predecessor you're in control of your minions, but this time they are a lot smarter when it comes to not running directly into lethal situations on their own. They still will if you tell them to though. As for the gameplay, it has been massively improved. Sadly the spell system is pretty much gone, but in return you can do so much more with minions that you'll hardly evenMuch like its predecessor you're in control of your minions, but this time they are a lot smarter when it comes to not running directly into lethal situations on their own. They still will if you tell them to though. As for the gameplay, it has been massively improved. Sadly the spell system is pretty much gone, but in return you can do so much more with minions that you'll hardly even notice. The evil tower is bigger than ever, you can have more mistresses and there are a lot of clever puzzles. The only downside is that it makes me greedy as a player. Next time I expect more tower customization, more enslavement options and more things to toy with like putting statues of myself everywhere and turning the captured towns a little less bright. Expand
  9. BobbyA
    Jun 30, 2009
    I never thought it possible to improve upon the first but with more customisation, great graphics, some new features and more comic charm Overlord 2 joins my list of favourites.
  10. cesari.
    Jun 24, 2009
    I love this game its even better than the first one I especially love the whole minions mounting creatures thing especially when I make them mount fire breath salamanders.
  11. jordanz
    Jun 24, 2009
    As someone who never played the first game this one is a riot and a blast. Graphics are amazing and you don't have to worry about the control scheme the consoles use.
  12. SergeT
    Jun 25, 2009
    A very well-rounded game that employs elements of hack-n-slashers and RTS. Given a ten because the game is just FUN.
  13. KarlP
    Jun 28, 2009
    This game was amazing the controls worked very well and the game was purely fun all the way through. Other then the frustration of losing minions with larger hordes I think this game came out great.
  14. Mehve
    Jun 29, 2009
    Fun and quite amusing at times, but a little short. The first time through is quite enjoyable, but since the game's progression is very linear, with the various 'options' more decorative than meaningful, replay value is lower.
  15. JonG.
    Jun 30, 2009
    This game has very beautiful enviornments and lots of funny moments (IGN must be dead inside). I thought it was quite fun. That said, why is it that every user who gives a pc game a bad review is always some vindictive moron who can't figue out how to run his machine? (Hint: 9/10 times it's you, not the game. Can't handle that? Buy a console and shut the f up.)
  16. FredrikE.
    Jul 24, 2009
    I have tested both overlord I and II but overlord 2 takes the price. Its a litel short which i give it a 9 but also that you can upgrade your weapons like in the first overlord. Otherwise its pretty good. Its good story. The most evil things to do. Also you got rewards if you dominated the city's. That was a good feature. But the upgrade option was a good one. Also the throne I have tested both overlord I and II but overlord 2 takes the price. Its a litel short which i give it a 9 but also that you can upgrade your weapons like in the first overlord. Otherwise its pretty good. Its good story. The most evil things to do. Also you got rewards if you dominated the city's. That was a good feature. But the upgrade option was a good one. Also the throne animation. Its one of the best games i have ever played. Expand
  17. OrderanL
    Nov 17, 2009
    I played overlord 1 then the second one. There are some great improvements in the second one but there are still troubles like the minion random acts and the game wich could be longer. Overwise, the game was great.
    Jun 26, 2009
    This game has in spades what so many games lack: fantastic exploration, a sense of humor, and unique art direction. The gorgeous environments make you feel like you're on vacation--so nice after all the brown/gray settings of most games. Yeah, the minions could be easier to control., but that actually plays into their nature, and occasional accidental minion death seems appropriate. This game has in spades what so many games lack: fantastic exploration, a sense of humor, and unique art direction. The gorgeous environments make you feel like you're on vacation--so nice after all the brown/gray settings of most games. Yeah, the minions could be easier to control., but that actually plays into their nature, and occasional accidental minion death seems appropriate. Reviewers saying it's more of the same are full of it. The game's been taken to the next level in just about every aspect. Just exploring your own castle environment is terrific fun because it's been so creatively expanded. The wolf-riding minions, the siege engines, the battle mechanics, and the organized armies you fight are further examples. These same reviewers drool over all those WWII shooters, and you'd have a hard time telling them apart from EACH OTHER much less see the difference between installments within the same series. Expand
  19. TureVoice
    Jun 27, 2009
    Reviewers have the job to try and reflect the public's opinion, not sculpt it. This game deserves a better score than what it has and anyone who believes we shouldn't attack the reviewing companies really doesn't understand what they are supposed to be doing.
  20. Jun 20, 2011
    Overlord 2 was fun, even great, but at times it can be just as much a hit or miss as the first one was, or even like pikmin. For me I thoroughly enjoyed myself, tbh. The only thing I was rather perturbed about was the very clunky animations for ever actor. It's improved a lot from the first one, the game is fun, but it never really comes clicks for me in the way the human characters moveOverlord 2 was fun, even great, but at times it can be just as much a hit or miss as the first one was, or even like pikmin. For me I thoroughly enjoyed myself, tbh. The only thing I was rather perturbed about was the very clunky animations for ever actor. It's improved a lot from the first one, the game is fun, but it never really comes clicks for me in the way the human characters move and talk. I would rather like to see if they can outdo themselves in a sequel though! Expand
  21. Jan 16, 2012
    I really love this game. Controlling the minions is great fun, with the exception of the spider temple level which made me want to break the game in two. If I were you, I'd go get the first game as well because both are easily worth the cheap price you'll find them for today.
  22. Sep 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just can not stop! you NEED to play this game. I just love the minions, oh an Gnarl! You just have to love them all. I love this game. Although the most bugs are audio related, after 40 + play throughs you know what to do! I loved the minion possession.

Play Overlord and serve the master, now!!!
  23. JuliusP
    Jul 14, 2009
    After playing&loving the first game, i hoped for a good sequel. even the sequel is a bit too short, i enjoyed it like the original game. the minion-mounts are a nice idea and other features like capturing towns are good too. the thing i liked most in the first game and which is still included in the sequel is this black humor, that makes me laugh again and again. the fat wisps are just a After playing&loving the first game, i hoped for a good sequel. even the sequel is a bit too short, i enjoyed it like the original game. the minion-mounts are a nice idea and other features like capturing towns are good too. the thing i liked most in the first game and which is still included in the sequel is this black humor, that makes me laugh again and again. the fat wisps are just a brilliant idea. i´m playing the german version and the voices fit very well to the characters. "Gunther, spuck das aus!" Expand
  24. Oct 31, 2010
    This game is unfortunately, terribly mediocre. There are some great element to this game, and some really terrible. The humour in the game is not as good as the "professional" reviewers suggest, unless you are very easily amused. Nor is the game by any stretch deep, it is a terribly linear experience with quite monotonous quests.
    The game featured roughly 5 spells to choose from, only one
    The game featured roughly 5 spells to choose from, only one of which was of any use killing things, it was very disappointing to say the least.
    Similarly the animations are horrendously few, there are 3 moves that you can do as the overlord, no combos and nothing exciting, just smash, smash, bigger smash.

The storyline was a bit lean, very shallow and unengaging. The ending was very dissatisfactory, a game like this is by no means worthy of such a lousy ending.

The worst things is however the control and camera, you are stuck with xbox/ps3 controls on the PC, which is completely unacceptable. The focus key serves no purpose on a PC, it would've been much better to use the mouse. The camera is locked in an xbox fashion, which is okay, but not preferable on a PC. I was not very surprised to see this very mediocre port, since it is a growing issue in the gaming industry.

Among the better things is the graphics, which runs very well, I experience no lag whatsoever and it still looks neat. The game is also very stable, I did not experience a single crash whatsoever.
    The game is lengthy relative to its price, and is absolutely worth purchasing at its current price.
    The game gave me 16 quite enjoyable hours of game play, which surpasses that of which mass effect 2 and bioshock 2 were able to provide.

In conclusion. This game is worth buying, but don't expect miracles and be very patient with its flaws.
  25. Dec 30, 2011
    I know is not a 10 game at all, but whit those all who put 0 i had no option

i think is a very great game, you will enjoy as much for a 10$ game can do

Awesome idea and game, and loved it to continue playing with my Overlord. I don't understand some critics (could have made A LOT better?) and wish they would be somewhat more objective or realistic.
  26. MichaelC
    Aug 31, 2009
    *The minions are hilarious. They really make an otherwise weak game a bit of fun. *The aesthetics of the environments, including the Dark Tower are really well down. It's nice how the tower improves as you move along in your Overlording. *Music is good. Cons: *A lot of the controls and game play suck. The "sweep" command in the PC version, at least, is seriously, seriously flawed and *The minions are hilarious. They really make an otherwise weak game a bit of fun. *The aesthetics of the environments, including the Dark Tower are really well down. It's nice how the tower improves as you move along in your Overlording. *Music is good. Cons: *A lot of the controls and game play suck. The "sweep" command in the PC version, at least, is seriously, seriously flawed and makes for A LOT of frustration when things don't work as expected. This is a really awful flaw that takes the game from being fun and challenging to needlessly irritating. This combined with the inability to save as you go (only at spottily available spots) makes for a lot of wasted time and anger. *Bugs such as walking to close to an NPC and seeing his or her hair and eyeballs floating in front of you are rather stupid, but not so distracting. *Enslaved peasants and plebs follow you to the point of blocking your way. *Other than those two serious flaws the game is pretty fun. Just the usual amount of misogyny, homophobia, and racism that are in games made for psychosexually/sociologically retarded fanboys for psychosexually/sociologically retarded fan boys. Those with a brain could still enjoy the game while laughing AT the designers and the intended audience and rolling your eyes a lot. Well you could if the game was playable. Full of typical trite stereotypes such as environmentalists are gay, women are powerless whores and sex objects waiting for the man to come save them so they can be a spoiled mistress, and fat people are evil and funny at the time (how original!!). Expand
  27. DanS
    Jul 1, 2009
    Horrible game, the wit and charm other reviewers seem to enjoy was nowhere to be found! Stupid game mechanics and poor planning are abound though. Even if you like the first overlord I would avoid this one because of all the terrible incredibly boring and looooong 'mini-games' they force you into, mini-games that break the feel of the game in a weak attempt to copy some FF7 fad Horrible game, the wit and charm other reviewers seem to enjoy was nowhere to be found! Stupid game mechanics and poor planning are abound though. Even if you like the first overlord I would avoid this one because of all the terrible incredibly boring and looooong 'mini-games' they force you into, mini-games that break the feel of the game in a weak attempt to copy some FF7 fad is pretty sad. Expand
  28. Oct 22, 2010
    Overlord 2 is really not a bad game, but I didn't like it at all. Let me summarize what you should expect. If you think this does not bother you, go ahead.

||-> The controls are awful. After sending minions or sweeping them, the games sometimes does not recognize that you stopped pressing the mouse buttons. So the camera follows the minions (if you're lucky! Sometimes the camera just faces a wall) and the recall buttons does not work. This can easily kill you or your minions. Those flawed controls made me sometimes loose over 30 minutes of playing (because I like to explore a lot), and you can only save at check points(!).

||-> While the cursor moves precisely on the interface, the focus is not always on the item you're pointing at. Double-clicking sometimes works, but sometimes you choose the wrong item. Also, there are no tool tips.

||-> Overlord 1 had a really nice black humorous charm. DO NOT expect the same in Overlord 2. The new Overlord IS EVIL. You cannot be a good-natured evil ruler anymore. Also, don't expect funny stereotypes like a gluttonous halfling or an arrogant paladin. The characters in Overlord 2 are embarrassing at best (gay elven stoners) and flat as they come. The story, and especially the ending, is an insult to the audience.

||-> As in Overlord 1, you can forge items, but unfortunately now the recipes are fixed. Also, the game tells you how many resources you need to forge it, but completely omits info on how much damage the weapon does or how much protection the new armor gives you. This is especially annoying, because there is no arena anymore, where you could test your gear, or farm new life force. Since the powerful items also need "Dark crystals" (which is a finite resource), you cannot really experiment with your equipment anymore. Same goes for minion upgrades. Maybe it was in the manual (which I did not read, of course), but apart from "Your minions are now stronger" I found no info on what they do.

||-> Well, and there are lots of frustrating rough edges. If you let your minions carry two items at once, they might get stuck and trap you in a dead end. In the missions where you have to kill/subdue all 100 villagers, they might get stuck in their houses. In one of these missions, some of the villagers are hostile (and placed among other enemies) making it _very_ hard to subdue them. After a cut-scene, the game tends to place you and your minions in the worst possible spot, even if you were somewhere safe before. Sometimes your minions attack an enemy, but don't actually hit it (you can see this with barrels) and consequently get slaughtered. This is very annoying if you had to sweep mounted minions to take out an officer who was out of your reach. Or stupid things like: as soon as you get mounts for the reds which allow them to move AND shoot, you have to fight against a new kind of archers who ALWAYS hit their target, even if it moves, completely defeating the new ability of your reds.

I decided to finish the game to keep my future self from trying again in a couple of months. But I can tell you now that if you started playing and at some point have to force yourself to continue playing: don't. The game is not for you, and it does not get better towards the end. On the other hand, if you don't mind the above, Overlord 2 is a nice sequel with improved graphics (though I preferred the cartoon look of Overlord 1) and a bunch of nice new ideas, like mounts, catapults, boats, and being able to possess your minions. A a few of the jokes are actually really hilarious.
  29. MikeN
    Jul 1, 2009
    I don't recommend buying this game. A very poor and frustrating gameplay. Minions keep dying all the time, even your most trained/geared ones and often for no good reason. Yes you cen ressurect them, but it takes hours of tedius grinding in lower areas for the orbs. Controlling them is very difficult. Story is very thin, so dont expect anything deep or interesting. Besides the I don't recommend buying this game. A very poor and frustrating gameplay. Minions keep dying all the time, even your most trained/geared ones and often for no good reason. Yes you cen ressurect them, but it takes hours of tedius grinding in lower areas for the orbs. Controlling them is very difficult. Story is very thin, so dont expect anything deep or interesting. Besides the minions, other characters are very unfinished. Sounds also very poor. Speech is often too quiet and uncomprehensible, topped by poor acting. Expand
  30. ByronB.
    Jun 24, 2009
    DO NOT INSTALL! The Steam installed demo FORCE INSTALLED an invalid DirectX that wasn't at all required, BREAKING MY ENTIRE SYSTEM. No option asking to install it, or even warning with a cancel button: Just "Hey, I'm installing DirectX now into your windows system directory and trashing your entire OS's ability to play any games whatsoever. Enjoy!" I have no idea if the DO NOT INSTALL! The Steam installed demo FORCE INSTALLED an invalid DirectX that wasn't at all required, BREAKING MY ENTIRE SYSTEM. No option asking to install it, or even warning with a cancel button: Just "Hey, I'm installing DirectX now into your windows system directory and trashing your entire OS's ability to play any games whatsoever. Enjoy!" I have no idea if the game itself is any good...it really doesn't matter. This company's craptastic software engineers should be fired.... DO NOT FORCE INSTALL CORE *&%!ing LIBS YOU! "Codemasters" my arse, more like Codemonkeys! Expand
  31. BillM
    Jun 26, 2009
    WARNING: Do NOT buy this game until it is patched. There are several instances in Overlord II of lazy game development that can make you unable to progress. Combined with the lack of any easy way to save (you have to travel all the back to your tower to do so), can make this game a complete waste of time if you are do something the developers didn't think of like exit game during a WARNING: Do NOT buy this game until it is patched. There are several instances in Overlord II of lazy game development that can make you unable to progress. Combined with the lack of any easy way to save (you have to travel all the back to your tower to do so), can make this game a complete waste of time if you are do something the developers didn't think of like exit game during a boss fight. As for the game itself, if you liked the first one then you will like part two. Just don't expect much in terms of new game play. I think IGN may have been the only review site that actually played the game and their critique is dead on. All the new features are solely superficial and none of the old problems of the first game have been address. In addition to these problems the game also lacks depths, content, and polish. It feels very rushed and unfinished as though the developers where under some unrealistic deadlines. A shame since at its core Overlord is a great concept with very high potential. I just wish Triumph Studios gave this title the love and attention it deserves. Expand
  32. Oct 6, 2013
    Even on 2013 I still waiting for the next cold winter evenings to play on to that majestic game. Best colourful areas, best sound and flashy original gimmicks. For me OL2 is top 10 for PC & any console
  33. Nov 17, 2015
    A rigidly fun game. Humorous, hilarious even at times, very well voiced, excellent music (alas not too many tracks). Gameplay is very dynamic for the most part, but somewhat short (i finished the game in 20 hours) - a heavy hand is felt tremendously when in order to keep you playing you are asked to kill 100 villagers (to control a town or something), a process which has no effect on theA rigidly fun game. Humorous, hilarious even at times, very well voiced, excellent music (alas not too many tracks). Gameplay is very dynamic for the most part, but somewhat short (i finished the game in 20 hours) - a heavy hand is felt tremendously when in order to keep you playing you are asked to kill 100 villagers (to control a town or something), a process which has no effect on the game, the main quest, or your character.
    One thing i found frustrating is the length of each quest and lack of save-anywhere feature; so you might be struggling with a level for half an hour, then coming upon a new enemy, die - and end up rerunning the level for another half an hour. Very tedious. And keep in mind - without level reruns (which i did plenty) the game time would be less than 20 hours.
    Mistresses also feel superfluous and heavy-handed - although, paradoxically, they add to the atmosphere of the dungeon.
    Some minor control bugs, especially camera views.
    Otherwise - a solid fun game. I listed the negatives, because the positives are outlined by others. Overall, i enjoy the game quite a lot! Recommend!
  34. Aug 26, 2015
    Ok,before i start,i'm a Overlord fan.

This game is not bad,but it's not "the best game evah" Pros: 1)Gnarl returns and it's funny as always 2)The minions have mounts 3)Neat DominationDestruction mechanic (Alignment)instead of just being "good" or "extremely evil",you can either be the lawful or chaotic evil ruler 4)Graphics are a little better. Cons: It has "improved" very
    Ok,before i start,i'm a Overlord fan.

This game is not bad,but it's not "the best game evah"

Pros:
    1)Gnarl returns and it's funny as always
    2)The minions have mounts
    4)Graphics are a little better.

Cons:
    It has "improved" very little,
    Arena is on disc DLC
    Game is very short 6-7 hours at best
    Customization both of the overlord and the tower has gone down.The overlord has one upgrade in the towers.you can't no longer forge your own custom armor,but you have recipes to specific items.
    Story is not good,it feels just rushed.
    Minion A.I is still bugged.
    There's a lot less exploration
    Annoying puzzles
    Mounts are just used for a puzzle segment then they are useless.
    The roman theme is a good concept with a bad execution.
    Magic System has been dumbed down and useless,also you have 3 spells when in Overlord 1 there were 12 spells.

Like i've already said,this game feels more like an expansion instead of a full game because there's no major gameplay element or feature,like they were developing the game and at some points cut it down and sent it to release.
    It's a dissapointment after that masterpiece of Overlord + Raising hell

Now it's even worse,The next game is going to be a Diablo clone

Overlord 2 offers a lot of options for customization, be it in the form of minion upgrades, spell specializations, and purely aesthetic options like how to decorate your fortress and which of your mistresses you choose to favor.
  2. Overlord II could do many things better, but its delightfully malicious humor is without compare. Do yourself a favor and buy this game.
  3. Overlord 2 is a solid sequel of the first one, a game that surprised many people thanks to its charm and originality. Now, the surprise factor is gone, but Triumph Games has made wise improvements over the weakest elements of their previous work, which makes this an enjoyable experience and a recommended title.