8.1

1. Oct 6, 2013
    Even on 2013 I still waiting for the next cold winter evenings to play on to that majestic game. Best colourful areas, best sound and flashy original gimmicks. For me OL2 is top 10 for PC & any console
  2. Jan 16, 2012
    I really love this game. Controlling the minions is great fun, with the exception of the spider temple level which made me want to break the game in two. If I were you, I'd go get the first game as well because both are easily worth the cheap price you'll find them for today.
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    I know is not a 10 game at all, but whit those all who put 0 i had no option

i think is a very great game, you will enjoy as much for a 10$ game can do

Awesome idea and game, and loved it to continue playing with my Overlord. I don't understand some critics (could have made A LOT better?) and wish they would be somewhat more objective or realistic.
  4. Jul 21, 2011
    There's more stuff to do than in Overlord 1, but the scenery is pretty generic and uninspired. Also, O1 felt a little more open-ended and free than this one. I get the "go here do that" kind of feeling when I'm playing quests.
  5. Jun 20, 2011
    Overlord 2 was fun, even great, but at times it can be just as much a hit or miss as the first one was, or even like pikmin. For me I thoroughly enjoyed myself, tbh. The only thing I was rather perturbed about was the very clunky animations for ever actor. It's improved a lot from the first one, the game is fun, but it never really comes clicks for me in the way the human characters moveOverlord 2 was fun, even great, but at times it can be just as much a hit or miss as the first one was, or even like pikmin. For me I thoroughly enjoyed myself, tbh. The only thing I was rather perturbed about was the very clunky animations for ever actor. It's improved a lot from the first one, the game is fun, but it never really comes clicks for me in the way the human characters move and talk. I would rather like to see if they can outdo themselves in a sequel though! Expand
  6. Oct 31, 2010
    This game is unfortunately, terribly mediocre. There are some great element to this game, and some really terrible. The humour in the game is not as good as the "professional" reviewers suggest, unless you are very easily amused. Nor is the game by any stretch deep, it is a terribly linear experience with quite monotonous quests.
    The game featured roughly 5 spells to choose from, only one
    The game featured roughly 5 spells to choose from, only one of which was of any use killing things, it was very disappointing to say the least.
    Similarly the animations are horrendously few, there are 3 moves that you can do as the overlord, no combos and nothing exciting, just smash, smash, bigger smash.

The storyline was a bit lean, very shallow and unengaging. The ending was very dissatisfactory, a game like this is by no means worthy of such a lousy ending.

The worst things is however the control and camera, you are stuck with xbox/ps3 controls on the PC, which is completely unacceptable. The focus key serves no purpose on a PC, it would've been much better to use the mouse. The camera is locked in an xbox fashion, which is okay, but not preferable on a PC. I was not very surprised to see this very mediocre port, since it is a growing issue in the gaming industry.

Among the better things is the graphics, which runs very well, I experience no lag whatsoever and it still looks neat. The game is also very stable, I did not experience a single crash whatsoever.
    The game is lengthy relative to its price, and is absolutely worth purchasing at its current price.
    The game gave me 16 quite enjoyable hours of game play, which surpasses that of which mass effect 2 and bioshock 2 were able to provide.

In conclusion. This game is worth buying, but don't expect miracles and be very patient with its flaws.
  7. Oct 22, 2010
    Overlord 2 is really not a bad game, but I didn't like it at all. Let me summarize what you should expect. If you think this does not bother you, go ahead.

||-> The controls are awful. After sending minions or sweeping them, the games sometimes does not recognize that you stopped pressing the mouse buttons. So the camera follows the minions (if you're lucky! Sometimes the camera just faces a wall) and the recall buttons does not work. This can easily kill you or your minions. Those flawed controls made me sometimes loose over 30 minutes of playing (because I like to explore a lot), and you can only save at check points(!).

||-> While the cursor moves precisely on the interface, the focus is not always on the item you're pointing at. Double-clicking sometimes works, but sometimes you choose the wrong item. Also, there are no tool tips.

||-> Overlord 1 had a really nice black humorous charm. DO NOT expect the same in Overlord 2. The new Overlord IS EVIL. You cannot be a good-natured evil ruler anymore. Also, don't expect funny stereotypes like a gluttonous halfling or an arrogant paladin. The characters in Overlord 2 are embarrassing at best (gay elven stoners) and flat as they come. The story, and especially the ending, is an insult to the audience.

||-> As in Overlord 1, you can forge items, but unfortunately now the recipes are fixed. Also, the game tells you how many resources you need to forge it, but completely omits info on how much damage the weapon does or how much protection the new armor gives you. This is especially annoying, because there is no arena anymore, where you could test your gear, or farm new life force. Since the powerful items also need "Dark crystals" (which is a finite resource), you cannot really experiment with your equipment anymore. Same goes for minion upgrades. Maybe it was in the manual (which I did not read, of course), but apart from "Your minions are now stronger" I found no info on what they do.

||-> Well, and there are lots of frustrating rough edges. If you let your minions carry two items at once, they might get stuck and trap you in a dead end. In the missions where you have to kill/subdue all 100 villagers, they might get stuck in their houses. In one of these missions, some of the villagers are hostile (and placed among other enemies) making it _very_ hard to subdue them. After a cut-scene, the game tends to place you and your minions in the worst possible spot, even if you were somewhere safe before. Sometimes your minions attack an enemy, but don't actually hit it (you can see this with barrels) and consequently get slaughtered. This is very annoying if you had to sweep mounted minions to take out an officer who was out of your reach. Or stupid things like: as soon as you get mounts for the reds which allow them to move AND shoot, you have to fight against a new kind of archers who ALWAYS hit their target, even if it moves, completely defeating the new ability of your reds.

I decided to finish the game to keep my future self from trying again in a couple of months. But I can tell you now that if you started playing and at some point have to force yourself to continue playing: don't. The game is not for you, and it does not get better towards the end. On the other hand, if you don't mind the above, Overlord 2 is a nice sequel with improved graphics (though I preferred the cartoon look of Overlord 1) and a bunch of nice new ideas, like mounts, catapults, boats, and being able to possess your minions. A a few of the jokes are actually really hilarious.

Overlord 2 offers a lot of options for customization, be it in the form of minion upgrades, spell specializations, and purely aesthetic options like how to decorate your fortress and which of your mistresses you choose to favor.
  2. Overlord II could do many things better, but its delightfully malicious humor is without compare. Do yourself a favor and buy this game.
  3. Overlord 2 is a solid sequel of the first one, a game that surprised many people thanks to its charm and originality. Now, the surprise factor is gone, but Triumph Games has made wise improvements over the weakest elements of their previous work, which makes this an enjoyable experience and a recommended title.