8.0

1. May 7, 2011
    In my opinion, Overlord is one of the funniest games out there to this day. The controls are a bit wonky at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to them, and that is the only complaint I can think of off the top of my head. On top of that, this game has superb writing and an excellent plot, which takes your character through each of the seven deadly sins. Each of the environments you play through is greatly unique, with its own additional unique set of characters.

What's really odd about this game, is that it is a complete satire on the stereotypical fantasy game, and as such uses about as many stereotypes for its various characters as possible. But in the end, Overlord stands out as an extremely unique game, and a superbly unique fantasy. It is amazing how it can do both at the same time. Overall, I greatly enjoyed this game, and it was well worth the $20.00 I bought it with from steam a couple years back. (It's probably much cheaper now.) To this day, it's still greatly enjoyable.
  2. Oct 25, 2011
    I must have been under the illusion that this game would be at least in some ways reminiscent of Dungeon Keeper when I purchased it. It isn't and I made a big mistake. This is a game brimful of pre-pubescent humour, unoriginal premises and tired cliches. My minions seemed quite adept at not doing what I wanted them to (or was that intentional?) - either way I ceased caring very quickly. I also stopped caring about my long term goals with equal alacrity and uninstalled after about 5 hours. Expand
  3. Dec 1, 2011
    The horrible controls, awful minion AI and lack of an in game map make this game way more frustrating than fun, which is a shame because there's tons of personality and humour in here. I guess I should stop buying console ports because they're rarely done well.
  4. Jan 7, 2012
    The story idea was great. The controls were horrible. lack of a map made trying to find my way around far more time consuming then necessary. I got to the next to last boss and quit.
  5. May 31, 2012
    Positive points : * There is a real good plot behind the global nonsense. * They really tried to create something new and that is too rare. * Some moments of pure delightful chaos with minions jumping everywhere, drinking whatever they find, skinning rats and riding sheep. * An excellent sense of humor. Negative points: * A very poor level design. * Lots of good ideas are incredibly underused. * Lack of a true savegame system. * The absolute idiocy of the minions AI. Total: An original, refreshing and very funny game with lots of annoying little problems. They tried to be innovative and that must be encouraged. Try it. Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2013
    Easily one of the worst games I've ever played for PC the controls are shonky and terrible often leaving you screaming at the screen because the "minions" are almost totally uncontrollable, the gameplay is incredibly unbalanced and coupled with the hideous control system often leaves me just quitting in rage.
    The truly disgusting thing about this game, the reason I call it "one of the
    worst", is because it has such huge potential. The start is actually quiet good and almost makes you think they're about to do something never before tried in Strategy/role playing games. Alas, stupid design decisions and poor programming make this a sorry mess. Not what I expected from the studio behind "Age of Wonders". Sad. Expand
  7. Feb 22, 2014
    First, let me say that if you're expecting anything like Dungeon Keeper, you'll be disappointed.

Once you've reset your expectations, you'll find a game that is nothing special. It's not horribly broken or ugly, it just whispers "please uninstall me and play something that's worth your valuable free time".
  8. Sep 21, 2010
    Very good and funny game!
  9. Sep 6, 2014
    + Overlord is a fun and wonderful game. If you have any liking whatsoever towards the Tolkien Universe and don't mind a game that actually succesfully makes fun of it I would recommend it. This is not just a uninspired shoddy attempt for a parody, the developers have taken their spoof seriously. The graphics are bright and detailed and the engine runs smooth. Character models and animation are great and I can't help but enjoy the sound of breaking pots and dishes. There are lots of mechanics to be explored as you progress in the game and you'll have a good sense of satisfaction once you're done.

- The world is not exactly an open one, but not entirely linear either. You can walk about and kill sheep or loot places at your own leisure, although that might get a bit boring if you choose to do so for a long time. If you're not playing with a controller you'll experience some annoyance when trying to swipe your flock of gremlins to the back of the field, but it's far from gamebreaking and at least you don't need to do it all the time.

I think the game is definitely worth its full price including the raising hell expansion pack, but if you're not sure wait for the sales.
  10. Jun 11, 2011
    The game is just a boat load of fun, I never had another game put a smile on my face during the entire campaign the way Overlord did. Also it is not a short game, took me about 19 hours to beat (with the raising hell expansion). The minions are a delight to play with and the developers payed attention to the small stuff. they took the time to make sure there is something unique about every single quest. I can safely say that this game is the best fun I have had playing a video game. it mixes fighting, strategy, and puzzles very well. over all a great game and is highly recommended. Expand
  11. Sep 3, 2011
    Great visuals and fun gameplay, this Real Time Strategy/Action Hack and Slash type game is really fun and, if you're buying off of Steam is definitely worth the $5. In my opinion it's worth alot more! You play the Overlord who has been awakened and needs to gain full power over the world again. Pretty basic story but heroes and mistresses and other things make the story fun and original and there is enough humour for everyone! You have control over 4 minions: Browns, Reds, Greens, and Blues. Browns being the idiotic beat-'em-up guys, Reds being the archers, Greens being the assassin's, and Blues being the healers of your small army. These 4 groups make the game very fun as they have their skills and weaknesses! Only downer for me would be the animation quality for the Overlord's attacks, they look repetitive and eventually get boring to watch but that isn't important at all! Can't wait to buy the DLC: Raising Hell! Expand
  12. Oct 7, 2011
    There are plenty of kill or be killed games out there, from past, present, and we know future tense also. I picked this game up and I can tell you that even though it's written in a dark tone, it still comes off as being a whimsical and humorous title to say the very least. The graphics are crisp, the audio is clear down to the voices of the funny creatures. I personally have never given a title a "10", in my 30+ years of gaming until now. This title even though it is on the macabre side, yet actually facetiously tends to pull it off. And you will catch yourself at times chuckling to yourself at some of the writer's humor. I had to go back to steam and download the additional add-ons, since I knew with certainty I would love this title. I really don't believe that you would be disappointed at your purchase, should you consider spending a nominal amount on this one! Just catch it when it goes on sale like I did, or go ahead and spend a $9.99 on it. It was quite refreshing the mere half an hour I spent playing it. Of course you can play with mouse and keyboard, but I think it's a lot more fun to grab a cheap microsoft x-box "canned ham" controller and plug it right in. Have fun always, and I hope my review helps anyone out there! Expand
  13. Nov 17, 2011
    Overlord is a game with great idea and good visual overview though controls are sometimes a bit clumsy which appears when you try to command your blue minion to revive another minion. Blue minion will A. attack enemy, B. pick up armor/weapon, C. fetch a lifeforce D) Revive minion
  14. Jan 16, 2012
    Awesome game. I really love controlling the little minions. It's also long and I wasn't ever really bored. I did however dislike the AI glitch in the Browns that makes using them with rally points way harder than it needs to be. Seriously, go out and buy this game now! Or wait for a Steam sale and you can often pick it up for less than $2!
  15. Sep 27, 2012
    Overlord proved to be one of the most atmosphere-heavy games in my entire gaming experience Locations and settings range widely: sun-lit village with dimwitted peasants, dark caves filled with poisonous foliage, sand-dunes with dangerous predators, zombie-infested town and cemetery, dwarven breweries and metalworks, great castle, tavern... All that adds to a great experience.
    Controls are
    better in PC version (better camera handling,most importantly).
    Minion element spices up the gameplay, making player think what tactics to choose, instead of diving straight into the battle.
    Satirical humor and voices in the game are plain fantastic too.
    Overall great experience for those who like 3rd person action games, and those who enjoy RTT
  16. Aug 1, 2012
    Being bad never felt this good! Combining third-person action with some tactical strategy, Overlord lets you rampage through a rich, comical, fantasy world, which is no doubt the best part of this game. Some memorable bits are when you get to make a decision - choose a mistress, save the elves, punish the turncoats, etc. Definitely makes you feel like a villain! The exaggerated fantasy stereotypes were awesome - drunken, gold obsessed dwarves, prancy elves, the anti-unicorn... all great fun.
    One major issue is that there is no in-game map, and sometimes directions are poor. There were times when I literally scoured a level multiple times to find the next plot point! This broke the flow of the game, and made Overlord feel tedious at times.

Overlord has an interesting type of gameplay, and can be quite challenging to get really good (ie. no minions die). The game "punishes" your failures in an interesting way, by forcing you to 'grind' for minion souls in the arenas or elsewhere. This is great, because it really makes the game flow so well, compared to the traditional "reload save" or "return to last checkpoint".
    The challenge in the gameplay lies in micromanaging your minion types. Keeping those blues back so they can revive dead minions is important, but can be difficult due to AI problems. Lock greens down on a flag/guard position, so they can surprise attack enemies for massive damage, but this reduces freedom of movement. This all took some getting used to, and I still had a lot of room for improvement, but I felt that the interface and AI were the weak part of the game. For example, using the right analog stick for manual movement doesn't always move the minions you want - a minion returning to you, for example, will ignore the right stick until he has reached the idle point next to you. Pulling back minions is a constant task, as you're always sending them to loot barrels and crates because they sometimes run the wrong way, into an enemy. Mind you, I was using the xbox gamepad to great effect. Overall, the interface and AI has its quirks, but I never felt frustrated with the game. It's not a very hard game, and once you figure out that losing minions is not a big issue, then it simply becomes a fun and enjoyable experience.
    If you have a gamepad and want to try something new, then Overlord is for you. The unique gameplay, great sense of humor and exploration will guarantee you'll have a blast!
  17. Apr 7, 2014
    Fun game never seemed to make enough money or minions to create cool stuff though. Last Boss was designed to troll players or maybe I need to just get good at this game lol.
  18. Jul 3, 2013
    A very enjoyable game, great humor and a fun story, pc controls could be better, but overall a game worth every penny.
    There is abit of customization and the building up your keep to give extra flavor, but the true joy is in the minions and their comments, and their wacky choice og gear and weapons.
  19. Apr 28, 2013
    I played this with a xbox360 controller and it worked great. Great art direction, minions are funny and cute funny puzzle elements, thoughtful map design, and thought-provoking ending plot at first i thought the characters and the setting was bland. the main anti-hero you play is just called "overlord" and you're just on the side of "evil," but as the plot advances, things get more nuanced than that. i definitely want to applaud the devs for the great storytelling that was fresh and thought-provoking. after i finished it, i had to sit and reflect on how easily good can be corrupted. i did get stuck couple of times and had to look up a walk-through, and it would have been nice to have an in-game map (the printed out map that comes with the box version of the game is pretty much useless.) If it's on sale on steam, definitely check it out (I didn't play the expansion, but i think it's suppose to add additional areas to all the maps, so wouldn't hurt to get that too if you want to just a single run-through both). Expand
  20. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    Pretty good game, plenty of comedy and a lot to do. You will be playing this for a very long time with it's long and decent story line. You control a hoard of minions that can do your fighting for you and collect small things for you. You are rebuilding your evil overlord tower to it's former glory, and collecting a small army of minions in the process. There is a lot of comedy in this as well, so you will most likely end up enjoying the game no matter how you choose to play. Expand

1. If Overlord is a villain, then it's one of those buffoon-ish sidekicks in a Disney movie. It tries and tries hard to be dark, to carry out depraved deeds and thwart the heroes. But it just can't help but cutely (and it is cute) bumble every attempt, conform to cliches at every chance, and grin gently at its own sophomoric humour. [July 2007, p.82]
  2. More than the script (generally witty and sharp, if occasionally undercut by an iffy voice-actor) or the graphic design (a brother to Fable's faux-fantasy charm), the constant capering of your charges is what gives the game its personality. That is, they have a lot of personality and so does the game.
  3. The balancing could do with some tweaking, with some enemies too hard to defeat and some bosses too easy. [Aug 2007, p.70]