3.7

1. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is total crap. Fatal, I repeat, fatal graphics, no storyline, and much worse than the previous games. I's so sad that I must give that rating but sorry... My rating - 0! / 10
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    This is a small fan made project intended for die-hard fans of the PainKiller games. There are five new maps and the rest of the content is recycled from past games, however I think one new weapon is included but was disabled when I played the game on release. I believe this entry came about because of some positive response from the previous "Redemption" entry. Please note that Recurring Evil has some serious issues on x64 platforms, though these may have been resolved since through updates. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    This game is actually not THAT bad.
    After playing Resurrection and Redemption, I totally lost my faith in the series. However, I still bought Recurring Evil purely because of curiosity, and it proved to be an average game.

Let's say the downside first: it has no new weapons (despite the Hellgun was promised to be added in it) and there are no new enemies; the loading time is as long as
    Overdose, and you may find it annoying, especially when you play on higher difficulties and die a lot. If you are expecting something giving you a fresh taste just as Overdose, you will be disappointed.

However, Recurring Evil does something both Resurrection and Redemption failed to achieve: DECENT LEVEL DESIGNS. Unlike those in Resurrection, which are either empty, confusing or totally unplayable, and the ones in Redemption, which are modified versions of the same seven-year-old multiplayer maps, levels in this latest Painkiller title are enjoyable. In most cases, you have enough space to jump around and evade enemies attacks, the foes also spawn in reasonable moments and locations. In fact, most maps remind me of Battle out of Hell, especially the "Highway to Hell" level. And the final level, Angkor, is an unique experience in the whole series.
    I have to say the greatest disappointment is that, there is no proper boss battles: the final boss is nothing more than an invincible moving turret, and when you defeat all the minions, it will just disappear.

In short, Recurring Evil is a game greatly limited by budget and technical issues, making it at most a mediocre game. However, if you treat it as a standalone expansion of Painkiller, it is not bad.
    If you really enjoy the first Painkiller, and you just want to shoot something in this moment, you may be willing to give it a shot; but if you want to solve some puzzles, have some tactical gamings or build up a RPG character, you will want to stay far, far away from it.
  4. Jul 18, 2012
    I am being generous with my rating... the "expansion" keeps Painkiller true. Player destroys hordes of demonic enemies coming at him... yeah good job there. The only real positive thing I can say is that if you like that style (like most of us PK fans are) then you are good. But if you like new content, then pass it on and wait for the all new Painkiller Hell and Damnation.

There is
    nothing "new" in this. The enemies are recycled from other levels/games/expansions and there are no new weapons. Even the maps feel the same as some others from the original (*cough graveyard cough*). There are plenty of glitches, and I mean PLENTY. Mobs getting stuck, flying thru walls (I got launched thru a wall), and others.

Annoying issue ----- AMMO! Holy cow, I had to like... actually aim my shots so I would not run out of ammo. There just wasnt enough ammo pick ups...

In the end, I gave it a 5. It was a fan based project that went well in terms of keeping it to painkiller. But there are is nothing special about this "expansion."
  5. Nov 6, 2012
    I put a negative review, but I 'm a fan of the game. Of the game I was waiting for something new levels. A Polish developers have decided that it is better and easier to just copy the game from the first part and add some effects and all - the game is ready. If the game was called a remake of the first pure then there would be no problem, so the developers called it a new name! ( For me, this game is dead. ( Expand
  6. Jun 23, 2014
    This is nothing more than a "map pack" for Painkiller with a grand total of FIVE levels (about 25mins long each). Levels are lackluster. Enemies, weapons and music are ripped straight out of previous games (maybe 2-3 new music tracks or variations). Story consists of two text-only mini videos of basically nonsense. Levels are more open than in the previous game ("Redemption") but still nowhere near the quality of the original. Basically a pretty boring 2.5h long map pack for hardcore PK fans. Demon mode is almost useless because enies spawn one by one on the same 4 spots on each room/area. Secrets are few and easy to find. Oh by the way, as a new feature exclusive to this game there are NO GRAPHIC OPTIONS WHATSOEVER, you have to edit an .ini file to even change the resolution (!?). I give it a 4 because it's mostly functional and somewhat better than Redemption and Resurrection. Even Overdose is a masterpiece compared to this. Buy it only if it's almost free and you want to play 5 new (although mediocre) levels. Expand

1. May 16, 2012
    Recurring evil is not a bad game. It's just that Painkiller, in its current form, has ran its course. It's imperative to make that bold step ahead, to make sweeping changes across the board. With 5 or 6 new levels every semester or two, and all the rest features remaining absolutely the same, it only manages to shrink its target group. Revival, now! [May 2012]
    If there could be an additional title to this game it should be Vomits of God... Most of the games you play in a browser are far better than this unholy piece of awkwardness. [May 2012]
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    It could seem that Painkiller franchise cannot be watered down any further. Wrong! [May 2012, p.60]