7.9

1. Aug 13, 2013
    So much fun coop. Huge improvement on the first one and the replay value is insane with the map changing geometry, I got 40 hours clocked up on just the 6 heists that are in the beta! For the price you pay you cant go wrong!
  2. Aug 13, 2013
    Unfortunately connection drops too often, a problem for many players. We'd play offline, but the AI doesn't even carry the bags so you get shot down in mere seconds. The connectivity issue is a similar one to Payday 1.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    Will attempt to keep this brief and to the point, but more important truthful. Payday 2 is an excellent purchase if you simply go for the $30 version and understand what you're getting. It will provide a generally enjoyable experience for up to 4 people in a party style casual game for up to 30-40 hours, which is a really great value. The majority of the issues with the game long term are a result of Overkill's misrepresentation of the product. To put it simply, it is not a $50 product nor should it be considered in the same league as other AAA products. You're essentially paying for an upgraded mod...

Cons:

- Repetitive heists that are often recycled. There is NOT 30 heists! No matter how you add up the levels, mathematically it doesn't come to 30 heists so ignore any interviews you read or see from Overkill stating otherwise. Additionally, they reuse many of the same maps with slight variations and call it an entirely new heist. They were either short staffed or extremely lazy, but you'll spot assets reused repeatedly on every level.

- Skill system was a great idea, but executed poorly. Certain skills are a complete waste while others are extremely overpowered. You are able to mix and match which skills you want among all 4 trees so people simply pickup the best ones, which leaves everyone the same and defeats the entire point of a skill system.

- The AI in this game is by far the worst AI I have ever experienced in any title I have played both for the opposition and teammates. There are no words to describe how bad the AI actually is. If you enjoy mindlessly shooting poorly scripted bots then it isn't as dire as I make it sound.

- Engine is extremely outdated. It would be tolerable if the game play was vastly superior to other titles, but it simply is not.

- Mission selection tool known as Crime.net is a colossal failure and will no doubt be used as a demonstration tool in courses as an example of what to avoid during your design phase. You sit around with 3 other friends waiting for the game to let you play the mission you all want to play. How this design got past being written down on paper much less implemented into the game is beyond comprehension.

- Horrible support and customer service. Almir, a developer at Overkill is often seen crying on the forums about people being negative. Negative about a product they purchased....Although I don't agree with customers acting like spoiled 12 year old infants I also find it professionally shameful to have an employee speak to the customer base in the manner in which he does. They're also too lazy to purchase and maintain their own official forums and use the Steam game forum to fill this void. The result is what you'd expect...

In closing, if interested purchase the $30 version and expect to get about 30-40 hours out of it. It's fun, but you can't take any of it seriously as it lacks any kind of depth. You're purchasing a MOD!
  4. Aug 13, 2013
    Great game too bad its unplayable to its early release,cant join friends, cards lost after payday what a joke I have 8 guys on my teamspeak of which only 2 can play the game, everyone else is plagued by error after error. The release was pushed FORWARD 2 WEEKS and this is what happened, i would rather be in the beta still. wait until the cops come through the walls
  5. Aug 23, 2013
    Even after a very large beta the game is still riddled with glitches and game breaking bugs, some skills just flat out don't work, and the development team is working on fixing things that aren't even urgent instead. The amount of content is EMBARRASSING and significantly less than what was advertised for the launch version, instead opting to hold back high tier and endgame missions for upcoming DLC considering the game had already began turning a profit before it even released. False advertising is the name of the game with Payday 2 as the advertised number of missions likes to count the same mission up to 5 or 6 times because of extremely minimal variations. The amount of content is pitiful and is held up by the crutch that is the game's RNG loot system which encourages farming and excessive play on the the tedious and short missions. to ensure maximum playtime. It's a Frankenstein of a game comprised of flatout broken mechanics and skills, unfulfilled promises, significantly sub-par missions (both quality and quantity wise) and I extremely regret paying 30$ for it. Overkill won't be getting another dime from me, and if you're smart you won't give them anything, either. Expand
  6. ERB
    Aug 13, 2013
    An absolutely excellent game.The story is great,the graphics look good,and especially the game play or the shooter is awesome.This game is a lot of fun.I mean I played this game 4 times in a row and still I keep playing this because it is addicting and fun.So far this year this is one of the best games I played this year.So this game really deserves a high score.Good game!I like it.
  7. Aug 13, 2013
    You are probably reading this to find out if you should buy this game or not. For the people who don't like to read, let me give you a quick answer: YES, you should buy it, unless you don't have internet acces. Now let me explain you why I highly recommend this game: - Very well crafted, very ambitious, lots of content. - Cheap (30 euro), this game could easely go for the full price.
    - A studio who actually listens to the community, which noticeably improved the game compared to Payday: the heist.
    - Incredibly rewarding. It just feels really good getting rewarded for doing something bad (stealing). Lots to unlock and customize.
    - Highly replayable. Randomized levels and situations.
    - Great potential for DLC packs in the future. Which they already announced to release in the future.
    - EVERYTHING has improved compared the first Payday title.

Buy it, and support this title, I feel the studio deserved it.
  8. Aug 13, 2013
    Payday 2 is a massive improvement in every way over it's predecessor. This game is an absolute thrill when played cooperatively, with loads of content, especially when you consider it's reduced price tag. Make no mistake, this game is in NO WAY a single player game, and it doesn't even warrant to be reviewed as such. There is a single player aspect that was not originally intended to be added into the game, but was added due to fan feedback. Reviewers have bashed this optional component, which I feel is incredibly unwarranted. If this game were single player, it would receive a very low score, as the bot AI is mostly useless. Do NOT play this game for the Single Player. It's a fantastic game when played the way it was intended cooperatively. Expand
  9. Aug 13, 2013
    Payday 2 is without a doubt a large improvement on the first game, it does everything better but still falls short out of being a real standout shooter that the concept should be.

The content is there, you have roughly 30+ mission to complete with AI or other players, a huge amount of guns and upgrades to unlock, customizable masks, talent trees, a hideout to decorate and several
    difficulties to choose from.

The missions have far greater variation, from bank jobs to attacking rival gangs, assassinations, cooking meth or escaping the FBI after an ambush in the getaway, none feel the same.

You can tackle most missions differently to suit your playstyle, you can try to be sneaky or go in all guns blazing and the success of each approach is can be affected by your loadout and talent choices, thankfully you can reset your talents at any time.

The biggest let down and real atmosphere killer are the visuals. The world is completely static, there is no movement in trees, no objects have physics, the engine feels dated,I can't help but imagine how amazing this game would be on the Cryengine.

The audio does it's job well, the music is once again excellent, creating tension and thrills where it is needed. The SFX are good but lack the quality of other FPS.

Is payday 2 worth it? If you're a fan of the first one then it is a big YES, if you're new to the payday franchise then it is just yes.
  10. Aug 19, 2013
    Since developers are not answering on the bug reports pages and not fixing big issues like:
    - crashing steam
    - crash to desktop due to LUA unhandled exceptions
    - sound bugs
    - permanent connection issues for a lot of people at rush hour (you can't play more than 5 minutes, sometimes even 20 sec)

Well I guess a big negative score on metacritic will do the trick, simcity style.
  11. Aug 14, 2013
    The graphics aren't amazing, and it still lags a ton even in 800x600, and the same computer runs almost every game in at least 1280x768 with all settings high and no lag at all.
    I love Payday, but this game is just so optimized that I can't even play it.
    Still giving it a 1 because it LOOKS like a fun game.
  12. Aug 13, 2013
    An awesome co-op game, was a really long time since I had this much fun co-op. It looks, feels and plays very well. Starbreeze has really stepped up their game with this game and brothers, who knows what the future holds.
  13. Aug 13, 2013
    Crazy cool game!! Game sounds crazy good and the rattle of a rifle when the robbery goes to hell makes me feel like I was in the final scene in the movie Heat. Buy it and discover just how fantastic a video game can be.
  14. Aug 15, 2013
    so after dropping 30 bucks for this game i've learned that overkill hates improvement

a ton of the gameplay showed that payday 2 was a rushed out the bum game, things from the older game were removed like cloakers and some weapons,some customization not in the game, and worst of all a problem that haunts me and wants to make me go back in time to prevent myself from buying it
    the
    online didnt work for ****
    every single game i join either they cant connect to me or i cant connect to the host. overkill sure love using some peer 2 peer horse**** for its online making connection impossible
    AI is bat**** awful and i cant stress this enough, if your going to stealth then turn off ai because they are so stupid and dumb that they will do things such as shoot civillians, kill hostages, and ruin your stealth run by firing a bullet

IN ALL YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BUY THIS GAME EVEN IF YOU THINK IT WILL RUN ON YOUR GODDAMN COMPUTER
  15. Aug 23, 2013
    Many bugs as stated earlier, since beta release most of people experience networking isuess, dropping connections, and worst of all LACK OF CONTENT. This game was released with 5 maps and developer wait 11 days, holding their customer in suspense about future content. Then it all turned out to be finished project. Game has placeholders for future dlc from day 1! They was prepared to suck you dry. Basic came is nothing more than framework with few demo maps where you can simply buy additional full content later!
    I was pretty sure EA days of milking people are over but now i can see not for overkill studio. OVERMILLK!
  16. Aug 23, 2013
    Falsely advertised with "17 heists, 30 stages and 6 escapes" and "5 times the missions of Payday: The Heist" several times before release. This was a blatant lie which was confirmed today by Overkill Almir. The only reason me and any of my friends bought this game (and the CCE at that) was based on those lies. The people behind this game are nothing more than scammers and deserve the same respect WarZ gained, which is a big fat nothing. Stay clear of this trash game and company. You've been warned. Expand
  17. Aug 13, 2013
    An awesome game that gives a great experience that i had never felt for ages. Game has lots of replay value and can't wait for the DLC to come out! Game is great if you got some friends to play with.
  18. Aug 18, 2013
    The only reason why I'm giving this game any points at all is because its not 100% broken. This game crashes constantly in the middle of missions, has a horrible mission select screen which forces you to wait for hours for one mission to appear, has a community of brain-dead morons, and gets pretty boring after you realize that just about every mission has one of two objectives: Find bags and load them into a van or wait for a drill to finish and return to the van. This is an complete waste of money and I strongly advise you steer clear of this unfinished excuse of a game. Expand
  19. Aug 13, 2013
    This game is a must own for everyone Fun to play with friends and teamwork different game every time you play different from all the other FPS generic crap thats out there at the moment. Get this game....
  20. Aug 23, 2013
    Being a massive fan of the original and racking up 140 hours on it. I have to say that 40 hours into payday 2 and I have become very bored.
    I took part in the beta and was over the moon thinking this was a taste of things to come but unfortunately that was it (pretty much).
    The 'finished' game lacks the 17 heists that were promised (more like 10) and these heists can be done in a few
    minutes for the most part.
    The loot drop system is terrible if you want mods you have to grind to get any.
    The character progression practically stops dead at level 39 since you have unlocked everything in the game but the level cap is 100.
    In short just don't buy it.
    I know I wont be spending money on the 'dlc' yet another game company that likes to milk us gamers for every last penny.
  21. Aug 15, 2013
    A great, fun, enjoyable game. Everything runs smoothly. I've been playing for a while now.

+ gameplay
    + guns
    + skills
    + levels

- friendly ai
    - graphics could be improved
    - stealth

Some minor fixes will make the game a solid 9.
  22. Aug 13, 2013
    The premise is still as enticing as it was when the predecessor came out; the gameplay with a co-operative squad of 4 internet connected players can at times range from incredibly rewarding and self-affirmating to soul destroyingly bittersweet and unforgiving.
    This range of emotions is part of the draw, a heist can be planned to perfection, but unravelled in an instant.
    The reason for my
    lower than average score is the amount of game breaking crashes prevalent in the released version.
    In the beta, it was fairly clear to see that the talent trees and crafting was to be the backbone of the game, what gave Payday 2 it's replay value.
    With release there have been issues upon issues with crashes that really should have been weeded out months ago.
    At this moment in time, you can complete a heist of epic proportions, depending on the efficiency of your team, this can take up to an hour of hard focussing on the job at hand. Upon finishing you are usually presented with all the usual rewards; Experience, Cash (the market currency) and the chance to attain rare and powerful weapon modifications or eagerly sought after mask parts.
    Unfortunately there is a large prevalence of this screen being omitted altogether and the game force closing itself in response, losing all progress made since the last auto save point.
    Overkill's response to the issue? Restart Steam.
    Does this help? No, not really.
    Does it get your rewards back? Nope, try again.
    Is there a fix in the pipeline? Well, Overkill haven't admitted that they have a problem, so there hasn't been an acknowledgement and/or plan of action presented.
    Until then, it's up in the air as to whether at this moment in time, the in game elements represent value enough to risk sinking time at full retail price into a game which is so fundamentally flawed in a vital place.
  23. Aug 13, 2013
    It is one of the best co-op games in 2013, almost an improvement on every aspect of the first installment. More missions, more weapons, more variaty. I love this game!
  24. Sep 9, 2013
    Do NOT ignore all the negative reviews that only talk about technical issues. If a game does not work, then you cannot play, and a game that works is always better than one which does not work. Would you rather a pacman arcade or Crysis running at 5 FPS? And this game essentially requires multiplayer, with all its connection issues. The AI assisting you are dumb, the AI for the enemies are dumb, about the only seemingly not dumb AI are the ones who are supposed to press the panic buttons. But back to technicals. I have a generation one i7 with a GTX 580 and I can't run this on full HD. Maybe I have old drivers or I heated them too much you say, okay perhaps that explains the low FPS, but it certainly isn't causing the mouse lag. Look it up. It's a retarded problem I've never seen happen in any other game. If I lower resolution to 1600 900 its workable but anything higher and the mouse is not crisp. Thankfully the AI are dumb so it's like playing a zombie game when you're shooting but this carries over to the menus. Like, really? There's a host of other technical problems too, including the game crashing when you attempt to accept a friend invite to a game. Which you basically have to because the lobby system in this game is garbage.

And it has to be, because otherwise it'd be all too clear that this game has 0 content. Starting a mission requires you to look at what appears to be a map of a city, and then there are random dots that show up here and there. You aren't allowed to just pick a certain mission or a certain difficulty, you have to wait for it to pop up. It's not even in predictable locations; you'll find the exact same mission spawn on two entirely different points on the map. The maps have slightly different spawns totally to maybe five variations tops on each mission, but overall its the same stuff. This randomness is also in equipment: you can buy your base guns, but every single mod and every single mask component has to be obtained through random draw at the end of missions through this pick a card thing. Oh, and you still have to pay for them.

And every single mission briefing or ending there are people talking about the "story" in the background.

And that's the game. What did I pay 30 bucks for again? This is an "Action RPG"? Where's the action and where's the RPG? Maybe RPG stands for Random Player Game, because even the player's own equipment can only be obtained through lottery.

If you always have 3 friends playing with you then perhaps going full stealth every time inserts a little strategy and coordination into it, but just playing by yourself or with pubbies will always just turn it into Zombies: Stealing Cash With Clown Masks Edition.
  25. Aug 23, 2013
    Game is good at start but after leveling up there is no new content where evidence indicate that there should be some.Yes,you can have some fun with it,but after playing same map (which aren't many to be true) pattern is easy visible.Fun drops to near zero after you get all wanted items and see every possible scenario that game gives you.Changing randomization is either absent or so minor that during game-play nearly unnoticed.AI is pretty low,and graphics don't hold up with games for this price.Future DLC promise to deliver some content missing from base game (safe-house customization according to developer will be implicated in future DLC).Not worth your money,unless there is a sale or significant price drop. Expand
  26. Aug 23, 2013
    Great idea, would be tons of fun if... The game was not let down by the *worst* server browser (Crime.NET) ever made. A horrible XP curve that makes grinding very painful to level up. Loot system that makes you tear your hair out trying to get unlocks. And the worst of all, the devs keep patching the game to make grinding and missions longer with less rewards. The game is lacking in content and features that were promised but then later "clarified" to be something different than advertised. Stealth is near worthless as the AI can detect through walls. Overall stay away from this game. Expand
  27. Aug 16, 2013
    Payday 2: over-hyped repetitive grind-fest, or a remarkable fun and enjoyable game? Read on..

Payday 2 has turned out to be a tremendously successful game. Pre-orders were almost sold-out everywhere while post-sales hit the roof, turning it into a instant commercial success for the small studio. Beta feedback has been positive on some fronts, and post-launch reviews have given the game
    a high-rating from some of the mainstream critics.

However it seems Payday 2 is now suffering post-launch blues, and has fallen into that developer trap. More on that later.

One of the reasons why Payday 2 has been so successful on launch is that it is, indeed, a really fun co-op game. There is no denying it. From that adrenaline rush you get pulling a bank job to the joy of managing to do just one job on full stealth. Payday 2 is surely best played with friends for maximum enjoyment, and isn't the sort of game you want to play with just random players.

So, why am I rating it a measly 6, then? Well, here's the thing; Payday 2 is a satisfying game on launch, and even after a day or so it still remains a satisfying game, but after the 3rd day you start to notice the faults with the game that creep out at you. It's this very reason why the game has been so successful with critics, and I would imagine they would review it a little differently further down the road.

To say the game suffers from repetitive play is an understatement. You soon realize that the pace of the game is slightly off whack. It turns into a massive grind-fest due to everything costing money. Fancy that red-dot sight you got in the lootbag dlc? Well, it costs in-game money to attach it to your gun! How about mask customization? Well, that costs in-game money as well. Leveling up? In-game money. Practically anything you do with your characters involves money.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad if the payouts were a little more balanced, but unfortunately the games current system forces you to grind repetitive missions with little room for change, making even grinding a bore fest.

Now, lets talk about that dev trap I mentioned earlier. I've seen this in other games, so I'll sum it up. A developer designs a game. It has a good concept, good working mechanics (crime.net, class/skills), a wide range of variety in assets (guns/mods) along with excellent customization (masks/guns) and the core concept relies heavily on repeated plays of maps. However, the developer only designs a few playable maps (7 or 10 I believe minus the safe-house). These maps are relatively small, with the so-called 'huge dynamic changes' as marketed being rather small and not worthy of note. Since the core concept of the game itself relies heavily on the maps themselves, the game becomes a tedious repetitive experience once you repeat the maps.

At this stage some things become apparent; there is only one bank map. There is only one map featuring stores. There is only one map featuring a jewelry heist. There is only one map of each specific genre of heist. Granted, there is supposed to be 30+ heists in the game, but they all take place on the same maps. It turns into a *steal X item profit* on the same maps, over and over again, with little changes that don't add anything to the game. A vault may be somewhere different. There may be 3 guards around the back instead of 2. All these changes are indeed welcome, but marketing it as huge changes isn't appropriate.

Playing the same maps over, and over, and over again, wouldn't be so bad if the actual heist mechanics were done right. Unfortunately, that's another area that they didn't design so well. Drills take a large amount of time, so much so that you just end up not drilling after awhile, it becomes a case of "I just can't be bothered to wait 3-4 minutes for this bloody thing", not even taking into account of how many times it breaks down. Repeat this process several times and even the most harden players will start getting bored.

Payday 2 does do some things right. Crime.net example is a good mechanic, while it suffers from shoving repeated heists down your throat, the idea itself is good and would work really well with more variety of maps/heists. The safehouse seems like a stale introduction, but it seems like Overkill has some plans for this later on, possibly in the form of some dlc.

However, unless Overkill is planning on introducing rather large map-packs in his DLC plans, I can't see Payday 2 playable longevity lasting long. Only after 3 days of playing I can tell you its become tiresome to play some of the same maps again, with the dreadful repeated soundtrack.

Payday 2 could have been so much better, but unless your a hardcore grindfest kinda player, you will soon grow tiresome of this rather enjoyable but flawed co-op.

Summary:

Graphics 6/10
    Soundtrack 4/10
    Sounds 6/10
    Gameplay 5/10
    Re-playability 4/10
  28. Gnk
    Aug 13, 2013
    Playing this game with full team of friends on voice comm is really fun experience. I can say never had a better co-op experience so far. Recommended!
  29. Aug 23, 2013
    The game did not ship with all of its promised features and constant updates of over 800 megabytes make it impossible to adapt to the game. Until Overkill can flesh out the undeniable problems that were both present in the beta and not fixed for the finished game.

PC players of the game are facing poor support from Overkill who refuse to acknowledge to "17 Heists, 30 Stages" promise,
    safehouse customization, and more. Instead, the developer would rather make certain officers even more difficult to kill and release an update that broke multiplayer.

In addition to these technical flaws, Overkill still has not made a singeplayer mode that is playable. In fact, a recent update made it even more difficult than it already was. Instead of a full team of four, you get two AIs. In addition to the smaller team, the AI cannot pick up loot bags (which the police can), open safes, steal generic loot, place bags, or use any semblance of intelligence to assist you. This state of "offline mode" is completely criminal, especially since the Multiplayer seems to be broken on a regular basis.

Even after all of that, the game still manages to entertain some vague aspects of cooperative play. You can coordinate with you team, capture hostages, and actually orchestrate the heist.

However, in the games current state and Overkill's attitude towards development, it will be an accomplishment if they can finish the game and fulfill the promises they made to their fans- even more so if the game can be stabilized.
  30. Aug 23, 2013
    Even though the Beta had very few Missions and was capped at Level 25/30, the Game was fun and hopes were very high, but man.. if i had known that the difference between the Beta and the final Game would only be 4 Missions... i would have never bought this game!
    I was so hyped at the beginning of the game and couldnt really believe that Overkill did such a scam on their fans...
    The Game
    is really nice but the missing variety and behavior of their Devs is just sad Expand
  31. Aug 15, 2013
    If you enjoyed Payday 1 at all then you'll love this game. 505 Games has improved on literally every component of the game. The most dramatic improvements are to the variation in missions, character progression, and shooting mechanics. There's plenty of depth to the cooperative gameplay and the way missions are tackled with different equipment and tactics. Buy this game, it's one of the best sequels I've seen in a long time. Expand
  32. Aug 13, 2013
    It is one of the best co-op games in 2013, almost an improvement on every aspect of the first installment. More missions, more weapons, more variaty, what more can you ask?
  33. Aug 13, 2013
    A truly great co-op game, perhaps one of the best I ever played. It was a really long time since I had this much fun co-op. It looks, feels and plays very well. Starbreeze has really stepped up their game with this game and brothers, I am really, really starting to look forward to their new IP Storm!
  34. Aug 23, 2013
    Im glad to see the metascore decline and more negative user reviews reflecting the direction this game and its developers have taken. The game was released with very little content, false advertising was used. Some of the maps are very short and reused and theres not many EPIC heists as the first game. The game has a host of bugs still and Crime net is a bit undesirable. You select missions that appear on a map of a DC metro area rather than just picking what you want. Its a fun game but it feels grindy the point of the game is to farm for experience to gain new levels to access new perks and to get Loot card drops for weapon mods and masks and materials to customize masks that all cost money and you cant customize a mask again after its already been touched. Not that many exciting weapons either and limited slots for weapons and masks.

The mission variety isnt as stellar as I thought it would be and the worst offense is they plan to complete the game with 5 Dlcs you have to pay for. They sure learned some nasty marketing tricks from David Goldfarb who use to work at EA games notorious for these types of Practices.

Sorry David, and Almir... the game is not finished by any means. This could of been such a memorable game that would last me well over 100 hours of gameplay. Still The game has given me many hours of enjoyment and beats most 60 dollar games but it didnt live up to the hype.

I expect the Dlc will take more than a year to be finished releasing and will all be overpriced.
  35. Aug 15, 2013
    This is a fantastic game which has soaked up hours of my time (hours which I already struggle to find!). Ignore the whining and the trolls, and let me tell you why.

As someone who somewhat enjoyed the first game (although not overly so), I wasn't originally convinced completely by Payday 2. Nevertheless, the trailers and game-play videos eventually won me over and I put down for the
    Beta. I can honestly say I have not been so addicted to a game for a good many years and that was just the Beta! Having now played the full game, this is even better easily worth the £30 asking price.

First of all, the game-play is some of the best co-op gaming I've played in years. As a long time fan of co-op and stealth gaming, games like Splinter Cell and Hitman are some of my favourite games of all time. The stealth in this is fantastic, if only because of the amount of communication, thought, patience and observation it takes to pull off the perfect stealth heist. The tension in these moments is palpable, and with a good team, this can be some of the most rewarding co-op stealth to be found on the pc.

Obviously, someone will at some point trip the alarm, and this is where the second half of the game is revealed a heavy-feeling and very engaging shooter. The goals and deadlines keep the pressure up whilst the music is outstanding at adding atmosphere and urgency to the situation. In fact, the music in this game is one of my absolute favourite things about it a pumping mix of grungy synthy dubstep and fast-paced electro madness which suits the tone of the game perfectly, and which rises and falls in time with the pressure you are intended to feel.

Another element which represents a huge improvement over the original is the sense of progression in the game. The money you earn in each mission is partially determined by the risks you take, the teamwork you show, and the skills you have. It is a system which rewards playing as a team, and where a 'lone ranger' style of play la 'Call of Duty' will only frustrate your team and lose you money. The skill trees offered are very varied, and you will find evangelists who argue that each one is the best choice, but a huge part of the fun of this game is making money so that you can work up each tree and start to feel more valuable as a component of a team. Personally I chose Ghost (thanks to my stealthy roots), and I love being the one to type 'ECM jammer going down', and watching my team benefit from me being on the team and having the skills I have specialised in as they sneak past a troublesome security camera. Later in the game, another member of my team might pull out a saw, which will save all of us time, and ultimately help us to make more money. I value that person, and I am glad to be on their team.

The heists themselves are a mixed bunch some are genius, such as the gallery level (which is my stealthy favourite) and the awesome 'ukranian job'. However, Overkill loses points for sometimes repeating the levels in different heists. The only other criticism of the game I might agree with is the slightly enigmatic server lobby menu, which doesn't let you specify the level or difficulty you want to play, but rather forces you to wait for the heist you really want to pop up, ensuing in a mad scramble to be in the lobby before it fills up.

These two minor flaws drop the mark to an outstanding 9. The online community is generally very pleasant, the graphics are good, the game-play is outstanding, and the co-operative elements are well thought-out and executed. If you loved games like Swat 4, Monaco, Hitman or even Counter-Strike, I think you'll have a fantastic time with this one.

...and remember, cash is king.
  36. Aug 13, 2013
    Incredible game! If you are a fan of co-op games do not wait any longer. I feel very entertained playing this game and it is very addictive. After spending 60 hours in the beta with 20% content available, I do not feel bored at all!

Great game!
  37. Aug 13, 2013
    Great co-op game with tons of customization. Solo is a little lacking with the teammate A.I but is still playable. Overall a great buy with only $30 on steam.
  38. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is quite ridiculous, and i totally love this game. I do not think that I have ever play a first person shooter that had so much time and care put into it. This game really makes you feel like you are in a bank heist!
  39. Sep 13, 2013
    Deceptive sales practices are unforgiveable. This game lists itself as a single-player or multi-player game. It is not, in any way, possible to play this game single-player. It is impossible. This game is only, 100%, designed for co-op multiplayer. AI companions can not interact with anything, and it is necessary (not optional) to interact with things...like picking up loot, or cracking a safe. There are other problems too, from a lack of content to unreasonable enemy AI (cops are superheroes who can see through walls and absorb hundreds of bullets). But lying about a single-player experience to trick people into buying the game is evil, and should be illegal. Expand
  40. Aug 15, 2013
    Great game. Better than the first one. More missions, more customization, more masks, and harder content. I've had no problem playing the game whatsoever as well and so far no glitches. The only complaint is that the Safehouse is useless even after launch.
  41. Aug 14, 2013
    I loved the first Payday but in this game they introduced lots of problems. 1- Bad, small and short levels/heist, with to many screens in between, quite repetitive and few objectives; 2- Worst matchmaking/hosting system I ever saw, you cant even freely choose the game you are hosting, you need to wait till it appear on the system, and wait, and wait...; 3 A somewhat broken rpg/customization system;

4 unfinished product without some of the announced features (still promised), to many reused assets (even for a indie) and missing enemies (classics from the first, also promised for soon);

5 Many small things that arent right or small bugs;

The game have lots of potential, improvements on gameplay, enemy tactics, new stuff/skills, more stealth and planning options, random events/geometry, but lost the great level/heist design and simplicity to start, plan and gear up for a game of the first.
  42. Sep 10, 2013
    PAYDAY 2 could have been a perfect game, but some evident laziness (or outright incompetence) on the part of the developers in some areas stopped it from reaching that point.

I understand this game is intended to be a CO-OP game, but that doesn't mean it should be boring and even frustrating to play alone. The missions are obviously designed for multiple people, playing them alone can
    leave you lugging 6 bags from point A to point B one by one as your AI teammates will not assist you with anything except combat. On the topic of AI, even disregarding the atrocious allied AI, the enemy AI is equally as bad difficulty levels are lazy and don't add anything to the tactics enemy AI use, they simply do more damage and are harder to kill.

On a positive note, the game is remarkably fun with a few friends, even with the problems with enemy AI. It's fast-paced, exciting, and rewarding. The specialization skill trees are subtle enough to be reasonable and yet still feel like there's a difference in terms of your ability as any particular role.

Do the cons outweigh the pros? I'm not one to decide that, but this game has glaring issues that should have been addressed prior to launch. However, for a $30 game, it's most likely well worth your money if you have a few friends to play with.
  43. Aug 14, 2013
    Very good game, it is obvious that the developers have long pondered its every aspect.Despite some minor bugs and little resemblance to the original game is able to induce positive emotions in the player and give a lot of fun.
  44. Aug 14, 2013
    Brilliant game, deserves alot more respect then its getting.
    Played for 9 hours within 20 hours of getting it ._.
    Got 24.99£ to spare?
    Buy this if you like clever first person shooters with a RPG element.
    With nothing being predictable and lots of randomisation.
  45. Aug 13, 2013
    The game is great and will only get better with each update DLC. Some peple experience minor connection problems but the ones I know that had thoose problems have been easily fixed and is enjoying the game right now. Recommend everyone who likes FPS and want a new experience compared to the same old CoD and BF is giving. Game 10/10
  46. Aug 31, 2013
    This game could have been good. Could have been. Unfortunately, it's plagued by two major problems: -You have to pay in-game money to do the missions you want to do when you want to do them. -The game just bugged out and erased something like 20 hours of my progress. If you want to have a fun experience robbing banks/armored trucks/etc... with your friends, get the first PayDay. If you want to have a frustrating experience not being able to do the missions you want on the difficulties you want and maybe getting out of everything you've worked for by bugs, then play this game. Expand
  47. Oct 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is complete bloody If you played the beta you have no reason to buy this game you have played the complete game basically minus 10 player experience levels and in whichever class you choose and 3 or 4 guns pretty much (that are honestly lacking and where is the lmg's?). 17 Heists/Jobs (30 Stages/Missions) 6 (random) Escape Heists is what they promised, what was actually given was like 10 or 12 tops. Worthless considering every heist is about 1/3 in size or complexity in comparison to any heist on PD1 not to mention the copy/paste effort that each heist is. When i say there is 10 to 12 heists half of those are also the EXACT SAME. Bank cash,deposit and gold are 3 different heists regardless of them being literally the exact same missions with a different bag item and jewellery store and the Ukrainian job are also basically the same. Oh and they also count a difficulty as a whole new set of heists to bump up their abysmally small list. Also the dynamic environment is pretty much the same every time you play minus one less or more guard/security camera in a slightly different spot. Expand
  48. Aug 14, 2013
    to sum it up: FUN!

To me, fps co-op dont get any better than this, its pure fun to play with friends and strangers alike. Great gameplay, music and overall experience. Its simply FUN, something which many developers seem to forget about these days. This game costs half of some of the biggest titles out there but packs twice the fun of most of em.

Its really annoying to see the score
    lowered by multiple user trolls giving this game a 0, especially the one who gave that rating saying he couldent get it to start, if you havent played it how can you rate it? The game was the third most played on steam on release day so obviously it was working just fine and also did so in the beta before release.

I will say this though, it is not a singleplayer game, the friendly AI is meant at best as a temporary substitute untill another real player joins in. The very IDEA of this game is to be a 4-player co-op so Im happy they didnt waste time and money trying to get the friendly AI better because its simply impossible to get it good enough to replace a human player anyway. That time was much better spent on developing the co-op experience, more maps, enemy AI (which is excelent) and so on. If you are afraid to play with other humans then maybe this is not the game for you.
  49. Aug 18, 2013
    Best game for sure! Have basically been non-stop since it came out with a couple of buddies. It is absolutely amazing, the best part is that you actually see the difference between all of the equipment you use and the sound is scary good!
  50. Aug 25, 2013
    The game is not honestly worth the money..But has many concepts compared to Payday: The Heist, Comparing missions from the old Payday to the new one. Payday original took a lot longer. The missions on the new one are a whole lot faster pace compared the the original payday. Everything is unlocked at level 40...what is the point to get to level 100. Nothing changes when you hit level 100...just like you do a mission make almost half a million on payout and draw a cash loot card...pointless. I am sure I am not the only one with 417 million in my safe house and nothing to use it on. Speaking of safe house what happened to the safe house customization? seems to me the game was rushed out to soon and loads of stuff is missing..despite all the bugs that could of been fixed during the whole purpose of "beta access" they were not so on release you have tons of people complaining about all the bugs..sounds to me like overkill were jacking off during the whole beta access. The game is not "noob" friendly at all. People like to kick because you are level "1" and everyone is level 30+...if you want to be an ass hat and kick people because of level why don't you set a level requirement or set a private match...idiots...This game could of been way better if release was held a month longer. Knowing this game is not grand theft auto..why is there not a mission where you actually get to "drive" the getaway van with your team? So many things that could be better about this game but probably never will be. I would not recommend this game unless you just like to spend 30 dollars and get bored of it within 3 days of playing... Expand
  51. Oct 14, 2013
    If you are lonewolf DO NOT buy this game. It's CO-OP....plain and simple. The jobs get old fast-the graphics look like it took a 5 year turn for the worst. And its repetitive.
  52. Dec 5, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. The graphics are very nice, the game play is fun, and the unlock system is pretty well designed. Overall this game is very entertaining and fun.

However after following this game for quite a while during development, it's now incredibly frustrating that they're implementing DLC micro-transactions despite stating during development they would not. We were
    completely lied to by the developers as they are now releasing $7 and $5 add-ons to the game that unlock exclusive weapons and perks. Even though the game is co-op, players now officially gain a significant advantage over others by paying small fees for bonus weapons and abilities.

I bought the game after believing the developers were on board with users stance against micro-transactions and now I feel cheated out of the money I paid when I thought I was buying a complete game.
  53. Sep 16, 2013
    I am giving this game a 0 because its no where near a user score of 7.9 after the developers updated the game with a patch on September 14-th. Unfortunately they have ruined the game with a new broken economy system and more. When Payday arrives you will be disappointed! You will also have to play for 5 billion years before leveling up. The difficulty "improvements" needs a closer look to! Save your money for another game or wait to see if they fix the game. Originally the game was great with a few bugs, now its just awful. Expand
  54. Sep 18, 2013
    After one month of intensive playing i de-installed this game.
    My first Score was 9 but i reduce it now to 3 because the dev s changed much of the game-play with their latest updates. Unnecessary things. They try to re-balance the game for no reason(the beta and release Version were really good) dont fix bugs(every update brings new game-breaking, bugs) dont add new Maps, and dont add
    Mod or Workshop support(which are all asked by the community). They try to force you to play how they want, and not how you like. If you found a weapon and a class you like to play, they will change them.
    Because they look on their chart and say: yea that class is overpowered" or "nobody play with that weapon we have to change something". Remember its a coop game against bots. A Chart cant tell you a game makes fun or not.Their new balance updates makes overall no sense and destroys the four unique class we newed from the beta and the beginning. If you dont own this game, but want to buy it, dont do it now. Wait till a discount or pass it. The chance the devs will continue to break this game is very high.
  55. Sep 14, 2013
    The latest update really killed this game. Was one of my favorites. That made it take 5x longer to gain a level and 5x longer to buy any kind of weapon. Just a senseless grind. Used to be a good mix of stealth and fighting, now anything but stealth is impossible. Uninstalled after this last patch patch. Do not buy until you see at least version 1.3. I hope they learn from their mistake.
  56. Sep 14, 2013
    update 11 turned this game from a great game...to trash. Save you money and avoid it. Or if you still want something to do with 30 dollars that is more fin then this game now burn it, that way you can play with the fire....
  57. Sep 14, 2013
    Last patch ruined the game. Unless you have friends that play, or you buy the 90 dollar 4 pack you are wasting your time. Single player is only playable in stealth, and you have to reach lvl 45-50 to even come close to the skills needed to single hand missions. They just nerfed the EXP and money for all heists to the point you are probably going to put in at least 60-80 hours of play before you reach those levels. Save your money and wait it out. Expand
  58. Mar 18, 2014
    It hurts me to have to write such a devastating review of a game I wanted to love, but the fact is that Payday 2 is and has been a total disaster from the start. The root cause is the developer of the game Overkill software, and more specifically their lead developer Andrew Goldfarb. Everything done in development or since release for Payday 2 has been focused on slick PR, coercing players into buying DLC to help them advance, systematically removing as much fun as possible from the game, and breaking every significant promise they made to those that supported them in the move from indie mod project to AAA-level title, and as if that wasn't enough, they go out of their way to simultaneously insult paying customers who ask relevant questions or who have any type of complaint, legitimate or not.

The last patch, the "Death Wish" patch, completely destroyed the game balance to pander to achievement whores (the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to date) and to give the appearance of the developer supporting the game above-and-beyond what is the norm. This is a standard pattern for Overkill, and nothing could be further from the truth. The 360 version of the game has never been patched to date. 7-day heists and safehouse customization, two important features promised for release, have never been added despite 24 patches and 5 pay DLCs. Every patch adds hideous new bugs and destroys game balance, while critical game-breaking bugs fester for months without being acknowledged, much less fixed. Hackers ruin the game regularly as it uses a peer-to-peer multiplayer model and relies on no master server, auth, or security. Overkill's answer to hacking? A pointless PR campaign that "they care about cheating" and a forum thread telling you to report hackers via email, but once explored is shown to be a total facade that wastes everybody's time as Overkill has no actual recourse to ban players or affect hacking in any way because of their poor implementation.

Goldfarb does ban people, frequently and very loudly, from his twitter account if they are negative about the game or ask difficult questions, and why not? The man is a real hero and he wants you to know he stands for justice. The Payday 2 steam forums are full of trolls and sycophants, threads regularly disappear without warning, and there is a nasty little group of fellaters (players with cash.net in their name) that edit and remove posts as they please with no oversight or moderation. Through all of this, Overkill touts how they "listen to the fans", when the last 6 months of Payday 2 have proven to any sane person that not only do they NOT listen, they go out of their way to anger and troll their own paying customers. Examples of this are numerous: cameras added that can't be destroyed that say "Suck it" on them, special enemies that 1-shot you regardless of your stats/level/health while telling you to "go to the forums and cry like a little **** and even making the aforementioned special have an incredibly irritating fingernails-on-a-chalkboard high pitched whine that is constant, cannot itself be disabled, and is the very definition of 'tinnitus'. This last issue has caused thousands of players to quit the game or play with their sound off, and Overkill have not acknowledged how serious it is nor patched it. I hope somebody sues the hell out of them for it, I really do. It might seem like I've listed a huge litany of complaints about the game in this review, but honestly I've barely scratched the surface. There simply isn't room here to discuss the countless ways that Payday 2 has been systematically destroyed.

Put it this way: Overkill is so petty that they had Valve arbitrarily (and in secret) remove the COMMUNITY VOTED top tag for Payday 2, "Bag Throwing Simulator", because most missions involve throwing bags repeatedly as you move them across the level while surviving L4D zombie levels of supercops. They also regularly remove fan posted material from the steam pages if it is any way critical of Payday 2 or Overkill. This rigorous, draconian, PRC-esque clampdown on all negative material indeed does give the game the appearance of being much more than it actually is. Don't be fooled. I've got nearly 500 hours in Payday 2 and it was once a very enjoyable (but seriously flawed) experience. These days, it's just insulting.
  59. Aug 28, 2013
    Payday 2 has less content than a lot of $5 indie games I own, unless you count endlessly grinding for unlocks as content. There's about 10 heists, none of which are very grand or interesting as most are just grunt work. Three or so are one day heists, one or two is a two day heist, and three or four are three day heists. Past level 40 there's nothing new to unlock that's level gated. Drops are completely random and you can get the same item you already have, and never unlock what you want for a certain gun. A couple parts of heists are just other maps re-skinned or re-purposed. Classes are also poorly balanced with some talents being useless.

The gameplay is okay, but the AI is horrendous. Cops will position hostages between themselves and you. Hostages will get up and run during firefights if not cable tied. If you play with allied bots they won't do anything but shoot cops and revive you. The enemy cops are also omniscient. You can't sneak up on them during a fire fight. This doesn't make the game hard, however as they're still fairly easy to dispatch. However, the lines the cops have are pretty hilarious. The only way to make Payday 2 difficult is to stealth missions instead of going guns blazing.

A lot of features were left out that were promised, like Safehouse customization. The characters also do not talk to each other like in Left 4 Dead (except when you ask for ammo, someone to follow you, etc), something that's a bit off because you're working together on a heist. There's no banter.

The game is also plagued with a myriad of bugs.

I'm only giving it a 2 10 instead of a 0 10 because it is still enjoyable with friends. However, after about 20 hours each we're all rater burnt out and bored of farming the same 10 heists over and over. Without friends I do not think this game is worth $5.

I recommend waiting for a deal, because the game is $30 and DLC is likely to be paid. I think it is very crummy to only include bad heists and then gate the good, epic ones behind DLC (if the DLC is even epic heists).
  60. Aug 15, 2013
    GAME-PLAY: Great pace and fun gun-play, stealth options on many missions give more choice, adding to replay value. Only downsides so far in around 30 hours is some bugs, which is to be expected from such a young studio as Overkill. Play this game with friends. You need other people to play the missions to their fullest potential

CONTENT: Appropriately large selection of equipment and
    jobs to choose from, with incredible replay value. As long as you don't linger on one mission all the time, you shouldn't get bored. Small annoyances coming from random drops of masks (with materials), and gun attachments, but these are menial. The elements of RPG mixed into this FPS with skills and such add a lot of depth to the game. Path choosing will determine whether future mission unlocks can be stealthed well, or whether a guns blazing assault

DESIGN (Customs, sound, etc.): Sound design is excellent overall. The soundtrack fits perfectly during game-play and is good by itself, and the sounds of guns are dynamic, to the point that a gun silencer may keep you in stealth while inside, but can echo and alert people if used outside. The guns and attachments are the best looking things in the game, along with custom masks, and some of the attention to detail is excellent, such as referencing the previous game with box labels and other such things. The GUI is very simple and is a great part of keeping immersion in the game, despite being able to switch it off.

TECH (Graphics, AI, etc.): Although the design of the game and aesthetics are quite good, you can when looking closely in stealth or casing mode, see pixelation on low quality textures and imperfections in your environment, but in the heat of battle, none of it matters, and it is surprising how good it can look most of the time, especially outdoor environments. The AI is probably the biggest flaw in the game, other than the occasional bugs you may experience, but it serves it's purpose well on the whole. Enemy police/SWAT/FBI AI is probably the best, and even with friendly bots being slighty stupid I haven't had significant problems with either. Guard AI can sometimes be buggy when using stealth, including eyes in the back of their heads on a particular level, and one off moments of seeing past doors when open, but hopefully these will be fixed shortly in release cycle, having had such a successful beta. Civilian AI is more consistently annoying though, with civilians standing up in front of cops that are being shot at (as if acting as a human shield for freeing them), but it is no longer as bad as day 1 of beta, and does teach you to aim at cops rather than in their general direction.

VERDICT: Bugs are the biggest problem in the game, a HD texture pack would be a welcome, but not neccessary, edition, but the flaws do not retract from the games fun and reasons for playing it. The co-op is really the reason to play the game, and although the offline mode is not a good way to progress, it serves nicely as a testing ground for trying tactics and effectiveness of guns/mods and so on. You can play the game well with one friend, 2 is good, and the maximum of 4 total players is just pleasant. The choice in this game, and random elements make this something you will enjoy for hours, and should not be missed. I give this a 10 because the flaws can almost never stop you playing the game, and that I anticipate any bugs to be fixed soon.
  61. Sep 2, 2013
    This is a true Co-Op game; If you wanted a game where you didnt have to play it with other people, then you wont enjoy PD2. The variety of maps is limited, but with a large amount of replayability as no two games will are the same (the bank vault mission will vary where the NPCs/Cameras and guards are) this makes stealthing a mission a real challenge. Teamwork and communication is vital to success! Overall a brilliant concept and game 5 expansion packs on their way too! Expand
  62. Aug 16, 2013
    So much better then the first one,finally a studio which makes a sequel to a game that is actually better that the original.

Very fun, a lot of weapons features and skins,i loved the music during gameplay and of couse,for a new game its only 30 bucks on steam,totally worth it.
  63. Oct 31, 2013
    When this game was first released it was fantastic! Sure there was not a whole lot of content, but there was a promise of more and what they had was good. Then they changed how some things worked, like they added finite numbers to things which made the game even more playable and fun.

Unfortunately with the numbers came the arbitrary artificial difficulty spike in the game. Suddenly
    armor didn't seem to matter and even the best armor in the game would get 2 shot within a second, and there are places that you CANNOT stealth with this mechanic implemented. The stealth is par at best with certain aspects being incredibly aggravating like sound being heard from suppressed weapons across rooms and through a few walls. But all this could be made up for since it's a co-op game and could have a good community...riiiggghhhttt?

This game has a terrible community and overkill poorly supports it. It is hard to find good connections to games and when you do if you're low level don't expect to stay. Overkill tries to "help" the community by censoring it. As an example just look at their statement on cheating. In a nutshell it states that if you even mention the word cheating anywhere on their forums even if it would be beneficial towards the community to know what to look for expect an immediate ban from their forums and possibly of anything overkill related and them reporting you to valve as if that does anything.

I can't even go to their forums anymore for fear if I say anything negative I won't be able to play anything of their's ever again. Hell, I don't know if I'm safe even here. If they look at this review and find me on steam then they may do the exact same thing.

At first, I felt bad for the backlash their community gave them for some things. Now that they have taken the lower ground I feel no shame in saying that their decisions with the game so far are terrible and I don't see a bright future for it.
  64. Aug 27, 2013
    Payday 2 is a decent game at it's core that was released too soon, had content advertised that didn't make it into the game and is doused with bad design decisions. The developers have treated their community poorly with a lack of communication and deleted threads on the steam users forums. With proper actions taken the game has the potential to be a solid 8. however it is doubtful this will ever happen. They have stated repeatedly that the game is finished in its current state. Expand
  65. Aug 17, 2013
    It's such a good game, great to play with friends and it's a lot better than the first, it's good fun to come up with strategics to complete the mission.
  66. Aug 15, 2013
    Payday 2 has improved all that was the original payday. The original was really fun, had some troubles with the Cops AI which was a little too unbalanced and difficult to deal with, enemies here seem more realistic, and equally challenging. I played approx 12 hours on the beta that only had 6 levels and didn't get bored even a little bit, I'm now 14 hours on the full game, and there is so much to do, it's incredible what overkill was able to do with just 1 level, stealthing a heist makes you feel real bad ass, and overkill difficult heist make you feel even more bad ass. This game is great, maybe with a little more time they could have fixed more bugs, but nothing gained whining over spilled milk, they are really working hard making the game even better, so this game deserves a 10 in my opinion just because of the endless fun it provides. Expand
  67. Aug 13, 2013
    It may be a bit sloppy and unrefined but its infinite replayability and design is more than enough to give this game a recommendation for me. Good in all aspects, this multiplayer game is one worth investing into.
  68. Aug 16, 2013
    This game worth its money.I like the games about criminals and this,is one of the best I ever played.Heists are full of suspense and fun.Games like this made me love on-line playing
  69. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is AMAZING, and i have been playing it for 25 hours since it came out. The mask part is really good and makes me want to do quick missions just trying to get better masks. but some minor glitches is what i take away from it. keep up the great work Overkill
  70. Aug 15, 2013
    WOW THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER
    I Cant stop playning it has taken controllover my life

I Hope payday beceomes a movie or something like that becuse its the best game ever
  71. Aug 16, 2013
    Payday 2 is a massive improvement over the first. Runs smoothly and the ability to completely stealth an entire mission? Gold! The guns sound amazing, the mission are quite varied (in toughness and variety of activities) and a bunch of customization options. If you thought Payday: The Heist was awesome, then your body is ready for Payday 2.
  72. Aug 16, 2013
    I agree, faults are minor and overkill is working hard to fix things. replay value high, random play value high, friend play high. overal map and future content possibilities will keep this one playable for quite a few hours
  73. Aug 19, 2013
    Just a pure fun when playing with the right people and people complain about bugs ,,really
    And 60,000 players who play on steam everyday can say that their game work perfect Stop whinning and handle the small problems cuz the devs aient meant to make the game work perfect on your pcs
  74. Sep 20, 2013
    Some would say Payday 2 feels like a massive improvement to its predecessor Payday: The Heist.

I, however, disagree.

The game graphically is horrifyingly plain; environments lack detail and often have awful textures which for whatever reason were not present in the beta. This makes no sense whatsoever. As if to add insult to injury: the game runs on an ageing engine which pales in
    comparison to other games released this year.

Secondly, the AI is abysmal: in the single player you start with two teammates (not three, strangely) with their only real purpose is to shoot the never ending onslaught on Washington's police force. These AI teammates cannot help you with objectives; can't pick up bags and can't even smash store windows to help you so be prepared to do EVERYTHING yourself. The police AI also pales as well, their basic tactics consist of charging your position all the time tossing smoke bombs and occasionally tear gas as they run into you not being conscientious of their surrounding cover.

Thirdly; Crime.net is an absolute p***take. In both the online mode and offline mode you have to sit looking at a Google Earth-esqe map of Washington for the minimum of two minutes waiting for the mission that you want to pop up. The most annoying part of this is each mission that pops up has its own set difficulty: so you have to wait for both the mission you want to pop up AND the difficulty you want to pop up. This infuriates me so much. On the side you can select your mission directly, skipping the waiting time for it to pop up; but you have to spend your goddamn in-game money to buy a contract to go stealing money to make a profit again? WHAT.

Fourth is the overall state of the game itself; the game itself shipped with about FIVE missions originally. The same amount as in the beta I might add. This is a serious lack of content and Overkill have already planned DLC? Fix the bugs first! The levels themselves are not as dynamic as Overkill makes them sound either; there are subtle differences between each time you play the mission but nothing you'll really appreciate as you constantly blast away the police force and constantly repair the goddamn drills that the so-called 'master criminals' have. This seriously makes me question why you can't upgrade your drill unless you do the Technician skill tree? Sigh.

If you can manage to get into a game with your friends however (there's quite a few connection issues going around; then the game can provide a minor modicum on amusement as your team can actually help you grind through the ranks. The music is pretty good when the assaults start and gets you ready for the next wave of enemies; shame there's barely enough time to do anything productive in between these waves.

Also, they took out the Cloaker from the original; which is a shame as I enjoyed the mild thrill of trying to shoot the Sam-Fisher like ninja policeman.
  75. Oct 30, 2013
    They improved on everything the original did, but there was some issues such as having the SECOND WORSE COMMUNITY, if you just bought the game the chances of finding a match are incredibly low. I got this on launch of steam and got to level 58 quite easily but whenever i joined a game there was always a new player trying to join and he kept getting kicked because he was too low a level. After this i hosted a new game just for new players. Not all people are dicks but a massive percentage of players are. There is also a massive amount of grinding required. I haven't played this game in a month and i still know the entire layout and tactics. Its not good level design its receptivity. Expand
  76. Nov 5, 2013
    Installed the game, started playing and instantly the sound was stuttering constantly. Went to the safe house and the game froze every few seconds. I looked everywhere for a fix but there is none. I paid $30 for this and am thoroughly disappointed, the developers got their payday, but I sure didn't.
  77. Mar 15, 2014
    Bought the 4-pack to give-away to 3 friends. Enjoyed it very much. Patch after patch the game got better. Until someone decides to break the fun on the deathwish patch. Game became a chore and fun was taken away by their supposed magical pixie dust.

This is my last OVERKILL game.
  78. Mar 21, 2014
    The game was good till update 23. My friends and I had a lot fun, playing for hours without a break. But now... after Death Wish (update 24) it became unplayable, at least for me (in my way to play). Overkill / Starbreeze are trying to fix what they screwed up... but it is too late. "Play our way or get away" it is their thought now. So, I get away.
  79. Aug 16, 2013
    If you enjoyed left for deads co-op focus and overall design goals but thought that the survivors should have been robbing banks and pulling off other high stakes heists then this is the game for you.

Plenty of mission variety with branching paths, player customization it's all here and it works.

The only faults I can think of are that the vote kick system and other host tools can be
    easily abused all together more humanity's flaws then the games. Easily worth the price. Expand
  80. May 31, 2014
    Terrible UI and matchmaking.
    Extremely repetetive gameplay.
    Bad gunplay.
    Strangely slow weapon progression.
    DLCs with weapons
    Lag problems
    The only plus: you feel like a fuking bank robber
    If you are on your payday better buy another game, this is a crappy one.
  81. Aug 16, 2013
    *NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS FOR RELEASE 1.0.0*

After months of playing the first one dry I was more then ready for the second. There are many many more missions and tons of upgrades and weapons. You get to assign skills. However, that's all it has going for it. The severe disappointment is the layout for weapons, upgrades and skills. It is terrible. Each time you level up you get 1 skill
    point, for ever 10 levels you get an extra 2. However it costs skill points AND money to upgrade and the price is absurd. Money is nothing like the first. You get two different accounts one goes into an Offshore account and the other is money to spend, on average for every $100,000 you get only $6,000 you get to spend depending on the difficulty.

The inventory is just as bad. If you unlock an upgrade and have it equipped to a weapon, now you want to remove that upgrade then add it again, you have to PAY AGAIN for it. WHY!? If it's in your inventory why pay for something you already have!? Worse yet you cannot sell spare upgrades! Different armor is new you have a vest that can take 2 hits before your health starts dropping. The better the vest the more hits. While armor does regenerate after time it is worthless on harder difficulties. Flack Jackets which can take 5 hits can only take one on VERY HARD, or OVERKILL, it can only take 3 on HARD and all 5 on NORMAL.

Difficulties depend on how much money and experience you get. The more experience, the more you can level up. Some missions you get a jackpot (again difficulty and conditions) with over $200,000 spending money and 10,000 experience. Most missions you average 900 Experience and $4,000 spending money.

85% of the voice acting has been recycled from the first. The only new lines are from Bain and a few from the characters. Now the Co-Op, it is the definition of unstable. 75%-85% of the time you cannot connect to a game, will be dropped from a game, or loose connection to two or more players which shuts the match down. Safe house. What is the point of this? It does nothing. Payday 2 (as of v.1) is addicting but more aggravating then fun, I hope many many patches fix these issues.
  82. Aug 28, 2013
    Lack of promised Content, It was stated in many reviews to have 30 heists Split between multiple days. The devs now claim that each day of a heist counts as 1 heist. Even so there aren't 30. Constant reshuffling of abilities for each class, with seemingly no direction as to what each class is attempting to achieve. 0 content past level 40. At the end of the day you're sold 11 missions with 100 levels to grind repeating the same 11 missions over and over and over. By the time you realize there is no more missions to unlock you have already done every mission 30 or 40 times. Expand
  83. Aug 26, 2013
    The first opus was already frustrating in single player mode with retarded bots that would make you fail a heist. This is now worse than ever. The bots are brain dead in this sequel, BRAIN-DEAD. Got put down at the beginning of a heist and they sat repeat sat at the other side of the map doing nothing. Single player mode is impossible because it was one thing to pick up 2 cans of thermite back and forth, now we're talking about 8 bags of money that you have to carry over the whole map and cannot run while you're carrying one. Of course, none of those stupid bots could carry a bag or restart the drill. It was so hard to code. I'm really disappointed by this game. It should have been issued as a multi-player game only.
    On top of that, it's full of bugs, has an horrible FOV at 45 degrees peripheral and a server that runs as fast as a Pentium 90, making you wait a good 5 minutes before playing a heist. A total failure. Nope, won't buy Payday 3, I'm done with you guys.
  84. Aug 29, 2013
    The developers pulled a bait and switch with their advertising. They clearly hyped players up by indicating "30 heists". But in reality, you got 11. Two are duplicates and both can be done in under 1 minute, another under 4. A few of the heists also have multiple days, and some of those days can be done under 1-3 minutes. And every so often, they will throw an generic Lego-like escape mission at you. They promised "Dark Souls" worthy difficulty, yet instead a 4-man team can idle around a majority of the maps waiting for cops. And the rest of the maps? Expect your team to idle around as your ghost or mastermind players do the map for you.

It's a complete mess compared to payday 1, which had a proper "dark souls" difficulty level, proper teamwork, and large grandiose heists with PROPER escapes.

It's half of a game with the other half as a 5 part DLC series. So I can only recommend avoiding this game and checking it out again after a year or two.
  85. Mar 26, 2014
    PAYDAY 2: the game where you and other 3 players kill mindless swarms of cops while always doing the same objectives.

It was funny for the first 30 hours. Then I realized I wasted $30 usd on an arcade shooter of killing retarded cops for the sake of lvling and getting enough money for doing "Infamy", which is almost the exact thing that "Prestige" from CoD. You loose all your money,
    your level is reset to 0 and you can start lvling again. All for a mask and a supposed "buff" that gives you nothing.

It's not funny. The whole game is based on hooking you to grinding exp and money. Heists are boring, limited and repetitive, with re-used maps and repetitive objectives. There used to be a simple stealth system that was rather fun and gave actual replay-ability to the game. You could challenge yourself and solo-stealth missions on the highest difficulty just by being level 35 or so and by having the right gear. After Update 24, the "Death Wish update", stealth and low levels got almost completely ruined. You can't solo stealth most missions now (and there aren't many missions), hell, you can't stealth most missions now, period. Low levels got ruined because of the new exp system, which is BS.

Want more BS? There's no anti-cheaters protection. This game is swarmed by hackers. But I personally don't care. They actually enhance the game rather than annoy the community. They give tons of money and can make you lvl up fast if you're good to them, plus they can start custom game modes like pvp or a boss fight with a powerful Bulldozer and his henchmen.

OVERKILL keeps saying they care about their community, but the proof they give is different. They keep releasing weapon pack DLCs with items that should have been included in the game and they barely release new, innovative maps. Grenades, which come in the "Gage weapon pack #1" and are very useful, are worth $5. And you buy that pack only for the grenades, the other content sucks. It makes me wonder sometimes if this is a p2w game and if they ruined stealth in purpose so you would go loud and buy their DLCs.

Overall, this is not the big game of robbing big banks with lots of preparation, planification, etc we were promised. This is the lvling game. You play a lot to level up, or you hack and become bored when you find out there's not much to do on the game when you're level 100.
  86. Feb 28, 2014
    From launch until Death Wish I loved this game, me and a group of friends (we aren't very good) we quickly playing Overkill heists which felt wrong - but this was patched and knocked us down to Hard loud heists and Overkill stealth heists. We were fine with this because we were having fun.

The Death Wish patch has ruined stealth, in my opinion (although it is echoed on Steam forums) and
    although the loud heists are relatively unaffected by the latest patch, I feel like I am only getting half of the game now, so for now I have sidelined the game and am hoping for a patch to correct what they have done. I would love to rate this game 9, possibly even the full 10, but that was a couple of days ago and this is now.

Current state: Awful
  87. May 30, 2014
    Terrible ai, they do not do nothing. They are passive, stay on place. Sometimes do flip, which looks funny, but that is all. If you play multiplayer. When join to game next player, while game is during, you must wait and can not play, than he connects. And while you play game and host leave, all cash and experience you gained lost. Jobs looks same and you only place drill and waiting for break to the vault.
    After take bags and go to the van.
    Sometimes you get jobs for more days and you crash with car and must defend your money from cops and w8 for another transport.

You can buy new weapons and accesories for them.
    And there are also 4 classes, every class have skill three where you spend you skill points and money for new skills.
    This is not to bad, but shooting ai is same boring even with new equipment and skills.

So i do not recomend this game, for stupid ai and drabness.
  88. Apr 3, 2014
    According to Steam, I've logged 30 hours of time playing Payday 2. Let me be perfectly honest: I hate this game. I'm impressed I was able to stomach it for 30 hours.

I hate the last-gen graphics. I hate the horrible AI. I hate the terrible campaign design. I hate the half-arsed storytelling. I hate the cringe inducing voice acting. I hate the problematic hit detection. I hate
    the confusing gameplay design choices (Why does a body have to be in a bag in order to be picked up? Why are you only allowed to carry two zip ties?) I hate that an awesome soundtrack was ruined by being associated with this train wreck of a game.

This game could've been something fantastic. It's truly an interesting concept in cooperative shooters. But everywhere you look in this game, it just reeks of lazy design, lazy programmers, and not nearly enough time spent on QA.

I give it points for being a poorly executed great idea. And I also give it points for having a soundtrack that deserved to be in a better game than this.
  89. Aug 14, 2013
    really enjoying it after 10+ hours spent in release version.
    bought payday 1 on a whim when it came out, and liked it a lot.
    this is better for a lot of reasons. custom stuff, way more random events, and lots of stealth options.
    it was worth the wait imho!

saw the company replying on steam forums.
    and even doing cool promotions with having street artists paint physical masks. nice.
  90. Aug 28, 2013
    A lot better than the first game. It adds mask creating, gun creating, more heists and much more than the original game. The music may not be as good but the heists are a lot more fun. The only heist I would want to see in this game from the original is First World Bank and another heist like diamond heist but with a lot more lasers. You can complete a heist without any gunfire as you can do it completely stealth, you have body bags, ECM jammers and silencers for most weapons. The random item drop at the end of each heist can give you money, weapon parts and mask parts. The skill tree gives the game an RPG feeling and is the perfect game to play with friends. Get it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! Please Expand
  91. Oct 9, 2013
    I really loved 1st game. Cool, refreshing and FUN!!! 2nd part is too complicated. You cannot occasionally play few rounds. You need hours and hours just to learn what to do on each mission. Until then you must survive all hates from other players with more play hours. Even when you learn it's not even close fun as 1st part. Most of the features are totally silly. Etc. when you finish heist you don't have escape car on map or something. You must search randomly until you learn after few rounds. Who would go to bank robbery without knowing where escape car would be?? Had big expectations, but deleted game. If I want heist, would play 1st part rather! Expand
  92. Aug 27, 2013
    Though the game isn't perfect, it still gets a 10 because of the 9 updates already on launch and the devs are taking our feedback seriously. On the PC this game looks great maxed out on settings. The new skill trees and weapons along with randomization just makes this fun to play. Waste of time on the SP campaign but MP is where the fun is at.
  93. Aug 16, 2013
    I honestly wish Overkill had stuck to their original plans to make Payday 2 coop only. The introduction of solo play with the AI has made this game confusing to people. To put it simply this game is built for coop and is a coop rough edged master piece. To try to play with AI is infuriating and you are better off Lone Wolfing it. Therefore my review ignores the partner AI as its not really relevant to the game.

Negative: I could only give it a 9 due to some pretty bad clipping errors in places and some of the issues with line of sight and mob behavior (getting shot through cover is irritating but happens rarely).

Graphics: 9

Sound:10

Soundtrack: 11 (Its Simon Viklund and his work is amazing so as in true Spinal Tap tradition but this one goes to 11) its the first soundtrack from a game that I have actually really wanted.

Game Mechanics: 9 (very solid FPS platform with RPG elements and the heist factor just so addictive my only issue is how they count what is a "heist" which got over stated but still, having 12 heists at launch is fantastic. Stealth is also hard as hell but so much fun.)

Replay value: 10 (You constantly replay heists but the dynamic layouts and the variability in difficulty, etc. make this game so very much worth replaying)

This is are really well done game by a small studio and one of the best FPS coop game purchases I have made since Left 4 Dead 2 or Counter Strike Global Offensive.
  94. Aug 14, 2013
    I've never played Payday 1 but when I've got the beta I thought it was worth a try. I'm glad I made this decision. I seriously loved the music at first sight (or at first hearing, whatever). In my opinion the music is one of the strongest aspect of the game.

The gameplay was new for me and seriously loved it. Each mission has it's own set of variations so you have to prepare multiple
    scenarios. (Plus you can choose between silent or brute way to get the loot which is another plus point.) The community is great in my experience. Most of the players are "well-educated" (low number of rage in the middle of a session, low number of verbal harassment).

The graphics is average in my opinion but this is all right. I can play this game on my laptop with no problem. Honestly, I really don't care about the graphics if the game itself is awesome (which is true in this case).

One thing I actually don't understand that's why i can't buy weapon extensions unless I've got it randomly. Level lock would be better than lottery.

Although there are many bugs, many lost connection, missing Steam overlay or random crash I think the developer will fix those as soon as they can. Therefore the points I'll give is 8.
  95. Aug 15, 2013
    Nearly everything from first game has been improved to the max. Great co-op game with your buddies and definitely good candidate for Game of the Year award. Im only giving it 9, because there are some minor issues with game crashing without reason. But im sure this game will not dissapoint anymore than that.
  96. Sep 29, 2013
    Payday 2 is anything but a good Coop shooter. For starters, the voice acting is terrible, so is the mission design. It's an overpriced half finished shooter that does nothing new to re-invent the genre. You might aswell just save your 30€ and pre order GTA V instead.
  97. Aug 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What can I say that hasn't been said by many others. Payday 2 is a must buy for those that love tense co-op fps with exciting gameplay and strategy. The problem with The: Heist was that is was a bit too similar to Left 4 Dead, and it was maybe too safe with its design. Now the game is a lot more serious and a lot more tense.

Stealth is nail biting strategy for most heist's, and never an guarantee even when you are almost done with it. And when stealth is not an option or it failed, you better have an answer for the upcoming assault that really is trying to stop you in your tracks. The semi-random layout changes per mission really keeps this game becoming even close to repetitive. The rank up system has changed for the better, as well do the weapons. Now when you level up you receive a skill point and every 10 levels an extra. The points can be spent in 4 classes (Mastermind Enforcer Technician and Ghost) with the ability to 'ace' them and receive another bonus skill.

Weapons have been doubled and more. With over 10 primaries and secondaries to unlock and customize with add-on's. However, the game now only has 2 weapon slots instead of 3, probably to ad more challenge to the game, but more likely due to console release and a controller in mind.

The heist's are now in greater variety too. Ranging to your classic bank heist (with multiple vault containment's), to a coke securing mission towards cooking meth, trading it in for information, stealing it back, and rob the gang lord you traded with form his bus full of money. Some mission's require an arsenal of weapons instead of stealth, while others recommend stealth, because if you do not, then you're dead. Some heist's require multiple levels and day's, which will get you more experience and more spendable cash.

Should you successfully complete a heist at 'payday', aside from the money and the exp, every player receives a choice of 3 faced down cards. There are 3 types: A Mask, which can include a new mask, material, pattern or color. A weapon, which gives you a random weapon mod to use on weapons you can buy. Or a small stack of cash, which gives a bit more spendable cash. Speaking about spendable cash; Every dollar you get 'paid' with doing heist, around 90-95% goes to an offshore account which you can't access, and leaves the rest to you to spent on new masks, skill upgrades, new weapons or heist assets.

Are there problems with it, yes it is, but nothing that major like in the prequel. The AI-controlled players have not seen an upgrade at all, which makes me sad. It would have been nice to order them to open a deposit box, or go and fix a jammed drill, or even carry a bag back to the escape van. Enemies have the occasion to hide in the corner of rooms which makes it really frustrating when you lose a quarter of your health and more.

The game also features crime.net instead of the 'boring' lists of heists that are available for you to join, although it really works well to join games that are spread across the map, it does not work that well to set one up. The list should have been still here for that purpose. This might also have been done to prevent a limited form of card boosting, but it is annoying to wait until the exact heist with the exact difficulty to play, and not needed.

Verdict: 9/10 Why: Well not every game is perfect and this has some bugbears and nitpicks, but it never steals it away from the core and fun experience. Payday 2 is a must buy for 30,- for hours and hours of fun and big money making with friends
  98. Aug 29, 2013
    To jest gra na którą czekałem. Świetny pomysł i wykonanie. Zabawa na długie godziny zwłaszcza jeżeli gra się w trybie kooperacji. Świetna produkcja która nie można pominąć.
  99. Aug 14, 2013
    You and your crew slowly creep down the back alley that leads behind the jewelry store. You whisper to the team to stop as you peer around the corner scanning for any rent-a-cops that might be suspicious of your activity. "Pop!" One bullet from your partners silenced pistol and the security guard is down, now all that stands before you and thousand of dollars in gold and silver is a thin sheet of glass. "Do I break it and risk being heard?" You think to yourself, knowing that at the flip of a coin everything could go south. "Smash!" The window shatters as the butt of your gun hits it. "AHHH!" Screams a pedestrian, your heart races, then the alarm goes off! "Masks on guys!", it's time to go to work. Welcome to Payday 2, the heist in on!

Visit www.GameFan365.com for the full review
  100. Aug 13, 2013
    Best multiplayer game I have ever played, so much team-play and amazing, unique heists that you'll never get bored of because every heist you do again is set differently than the last. Extremely improved over the last Payday by a huge amount. Stealth, gameplay, and gun combat are all improved. It also has sick RPG elements. There are still a few flaws that need to be fixed though which include the questionable team AI and a few bugs(Like the people on benches sometimes just sit there like nothing is going on). Expand

1. Oct 9, 2013
    PayDay 2 is one of the nicest surprises of the year. Overkill Software understands the atmosphere of gangster movies and wisely improves these pieces of gameplay, that might have been disappointing in the first game. The sequel is better in almost every way - you can play a thief and enjoy good character development and shooting systems. I really hope, that PayDay 3 will be even better.
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    Payday 2 is an excellent co-op shooter - a vast improvement over the first one. [Sept 2013]
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    A unique and captivating multiplayer experience that rewards team work over personal glory. But make sure you bring friends for the true experience. [Nov 2013, p.62]