9.4

1. JohnR
    Jun 9, 2008
    Planescape : Torment is philosophy for the video-gamer and undoubtedly has the best story ever to grace any computer game, Deus Ex included. You will have to be prepared to do a lot of reading in order to enjoy this profound tale. If you've ever come across the ideas of Nietzsche, Heidegger or Plato (and others, including Eastern philosophy and mysticism) you'll be spooked out Planescape : Torment is philosophy for the video-gamer and undoubtedly has the best story ever to grace any computer game, Deus Ex included. You will have to be prepared to do a lot of reading in order to enjoy this profound tale. If you've ever come across the ideas of Nietzsche, Heidegger or Plato (and others, including Eastern philosophy and mysticism) you'll be spooked out when you play this game. It is text heavy and in this respect plays much like an old-fashioned text-adventure but otherwise it plays the same as the other (also brilliant) Infinity Engine games : there's a fair amount of combat plus plenty of quests and some of the weirdest and most wonderful locations, NPCs and enemies you're every likely to come across. The level of interaction which is possible between party members and other NPCs is still unparalleled today. The artwork is wonderful and if you can muster the patience to get involved in the deepest game you will ever play you won't notice that it's all in low resolution. There is a widescreen mod available for this game, I believe. My co-favourite of all time along with the two Baldur's Gates. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    This game is just hard to forget. Ten years has passed since I've been playing for the first time, and the impressions, emotions are still with me. Those who had sad that it has a far greater story than Deus ex, are, as far as I am speaking for myself, correct. It needs that kind correction though, that the story in fact is a amazing book story, superior, to *any* game story, we have seenThis game is just hard to forget. Ten years has passed since I've been playing for the first time, and the impressions, emotions are still with me. Those who had sad that it has a far greater story than Deus ex, are, as far as I am speaking for myself, correct. It needs that kind correction though, that the story in fact is a amazing book story, superior, to *any* game story, we have seen so far: including original Mafia story, or any good crpg, like Baldur's Gate. It is far greater too, than a few good books, I ve been reading. But, eventually, it is not ony history told so good, but also the mechanics of the game, ideas hidden here and there, make this game, the best one out there. Everything if perfectly balanced.
    Well, it would be great to se a another game taking place in Planescepe environment someday. Let's just hope it is possible.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    What can change the nature of a man?
    This game throws the standards out the window. What is the usual end of your journey in any rpg related game? Death. That is not the case at all here, in fact you cannot die!
    That, however, doesn't mean a free ride through the game. Storytelling at its finest. Planescape: Torment is not just a game. It's a journey into a whole new universe. It is so
    What can change the nature of a man?
    That, however, doesn't mean a free ride through the game.
    Storytelling at its finest. Planescape: Torment is not just a game. It's a journey into a whole new universe. It is so unique, it doesn't get repetitive at any point, although its hack&slash combat style is very simple, it's still fun, and very story-connected. I'm rooting for the sequel to meet the expectations, and resuscitate the D&D RPGs. There has not been a game with story so memorable since.
    Hats off to Mr. Avellone for giving us this title.
  4. Jun 30, 2014
    The apex of RPG writing. There is no other game where your decisions matter so much, where the world is so rich, where the characters are so compelling... I have been a pretty serious gamer for my entire 30 years and I am hard pressed to think of a game that has stuck with me the way Planescape: Torment has. If I tried to name what I think is my favorite game of all time from allThe apex of RPG writing. There is no other game where your decisions matter so much, where the world is so rich, where the characters are so compelling... I have been a pretty serious gamer for my entire 30 years and I am hard pressed to think of a game that has stuck with me the way Planescape: Torment has. If I tried to name what I think is my favorite game of all time from all genres... that's a difficult question, but this is certainly the best Single-Player RPG I have ever played, and I have played many. Expand
  5. Aug 5, 2014
    The deepest, most mature, most complex and the most incredible story ever told in a game? This is one of those titles that felt like something much more than a game, a piece of art. Greatest works of literature are running away in shame when they see Planescape: Torment. The unique world and characters are just so special, they give you the experience you will never forget and plant aThe deepest, most mature, most complex and the most incredible story ever told in a game? This is one of those titles that felt like something much more than a game, a piece of art. Greatest works of literature are running away in shame when they see Planescape: Torment. The unique world and characters are just so special, they give you the experience you will never forget and plant a question inside your head, that you will be thinking about even decades later - What can change the nature of a man? 10/10 Expand
  6. Sep 9, 2014
    The peak of storytelling in video games. A truly immersive, beautifully crafted, emotionally engaging adventure set in the Planescape D&D universe. My favorite game of all time.
  7. Jun 11, 2013
    PST is possibly the greatest game of any genre ever made, and aside from the Baldur's Gate Saga, it's the best RPG bar none. The game unfortunately suffered from lack of publicity upon its release, so it didn't get the recognition it truly deserved.

Let loose in '99, many people are just learning about this masterpiece. I can't understand anyone giving this game a negative score, but as I've said before in my reviews, you cannot please everyone, and all are entitled to their opinion. I for one however cannot give this game anything lower than a perfect 10, and if I could rate it higher, I would without ado.

PST was way ahead of its time, and it shows in every aspect of the game. The story is one of the best I've ever experienced in any game, ever. To think you wake up in a morgue not knowing who you are or how you got there is creepy and intriguing. Then little by little, you have to piece the puzzle together. This game will make you laugh, make you cry and maybe even give you nightmares. It's that good.

Despite there is just TNO (the nameless one) as the main protagonist, the game has a lot of replay value. This is mostly due to the multiple ways in which you can complete quests, how you treat people through dialogue, and of course the alignment modifier. You can be good, but treat enough people poorly, and you could end up chaotic or even evil. TNO starts as a fighter, but you have choices later to become a mage or a thief, and even switch back and forth as much as you wish (not recommended). There are also factions you can join, tattoos, romance, the list goes on and on. Probably the greatest part of PST is TNO cannot die. He's immortal. Oh sure, he can still be killed, but the final death can never take him. That's a huge plus in my book. No more loading a saved game just because your character got whacked.

A word of warning however... The game is very dialogue intensive. This may be the reason some don't like it, but its necessary for the story. PST is a game to take your time with and not rush. If you do, you'll miss out on a lot. Talk to everyone, search every nook and cranny, be patient and have fun. 10/10.
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    If you said this is the best game ever made, I would not argue with you. It is hard to name a better game. This game reminds us of a time when developers cared about games like they were works of art (now, they make games designed to extract money by microtransactions and DLC). Play this game.
  9. Jan 2, 2014
    This game has among the best story/setting among video games. There's a great amount of attention given to setting details, and strong characterization from all of the party NPCs. Not everything gets explained to you all the time, and it leaves you with the feeling that you're one person in a larger world that's moving along with or without you.

The downsides of the game are that,

The downsides of the game are that, considering that the game is largely about dialog options and how you talk to people and so forth, the game itself won't tell you most of the time when your stats have given you a special dialog option, or your lack of stats have prevented you from picking an option. You have to read a guide to know any of that. Special dialog options being labeled didn't really become popular until some later RPGs that came after this one.

Also, the game is an Infinity Engine game, so naturally you have to vaguely understand the 2nd edition ADnD rules to get what's going on some of the time (same as Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale). Ehhhh. I know how the combat system works from playing the table-top game and Baldur's Gate, so it doesn't bother me too much, but I could easily see how it might hold back someone who was otherwise unfamiliar with it and just wanted to play an RPG with a strong story element.

If you like RPGs that go in the direction of grinding for levels and stat building and so on, then this game isn't gonna be your thing. A few fights are hard, but most of the time if you just fight things that show up then you can just get through everything that's a fight without much trouble. The game doesn't even have much in the way of fights compared to most other RPGs. There's a lot of talking and doing stuff "in town" instead of "in dungeons".

If you like character based RPGs with lots of story, this game is exactly what you're looking for. A party full of interesting characters, and nice setting and quests that are a little unusual for fantasy, but not so unusual that you can't follow along with what's happening.
  10. Oct 25, 2014
    welcome to Sigil the city of doors.... best city, best story, best mood, best game ever... true old school rpg with choices that actually matters. just give it a chance you will not regret it..
  11. Oct 27, 2014
    The best RPG ever. Still my favourite game after all these years. Not for everyone as the game is really wordy. There's always an alternative but it'd be much less fun if you're not inclined to read and explore the game much.
  12. Jan 27, 2015
    This is true cRPG. In my books, the best one of perhaps 10 games that deserve the name. Oh, and if you would like to play it on modern machine, do yourself a favor and follow a modding guide on GOG.
  13. Mar 1, 2015
    It is my dream to forget everything about this game and play it once again. The best story ever in games. I wish another game like this would be born one day.
  14. Jul 29, 2013
    I'll make this a very short review just so I can avoid going in depth with the story and gameplay so new players will be surprised when they discover such things on their own. This is merely an encouragement to those unsure of this game's high appraisal.

Yes, this game is every ounce as good as people say. It's well written, well executed, and also manages to be enthralling and fun all at the same time. It's debatable whether this is the best role playing game in the medium, but I find on par with the likes of Baldur's Gate II.

So, if you have never played Planescape: Torment, do so. I promise you will feel like it was worth it once you start playing.
  15. Jul 29, 2013
    Best RPG! It has very deep story and characters, intresting gameplay. Sad, that today RPG like that a very rare (Wither 1-2). Bad that this setting is closed.
  16. Sep 2, 2013
    This game is the second best game of all times(after Baldurs Gate 2).And it also has the best scenario and the most impresive philosofical questions that you can find in any game or in any book.And I say that after I have read a lot of books of Plato,Xenophon and Aristotelis so I know what I am talking about.Life and Death,Ideology and Social Views,Love and Friendship,Hope andThis game is the second best game of all times(after Baldurs Gate 2).And it also has the best scenario and the most impresive philosofical questions that you can find in any game or in any book.And I say that after I have read a lot of books of Plato,Xenophon and Aristotelis so I know what I am talking about.Life and Death,Ideology and Social Views,Love and Friendship,Hope and Despair,Wisdom and Madness all fight an eternal war for the soul of the protagonist.If you have a computer that can play the game without bugs play it.It will be the experience of a lifetime for you. Expand
  17. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was entertaining and well written. Sadly, it wasn't without problems. While I spent countless hours playing the game, trying to make a better world for the people in it, I was distraught at the ending. All your choices did not matter when you reached the ending and it left much untold. It saddened me after all that work, I couldn't do anything to change my characters fate. Expand
  18. Ume
    Nov 3, 2013
    If I had to pick the best example of video game art, this is it. Truly unforgettable! One of the best narratives in gaming, intriguing setting, wonderful soundtrack and atmosphere, very well developed characters that one cannot help but empathize with them and their struggles. What can change the nature of a man? Not only is the journey to find the answer to this of great importance toIf I had to pick the best example of video game art, this is it. Truly unforgettable! One of the best narratives in gaming, intriguing setting, wonderful soundtrack and atmosphere, very well developed characters that one cannot help but empathize with them and their struggles. What can change the nature of a man? Not only is the journey to find the answer to this of great importance to TNO, the themes and philosophical questions make it so for the player as well. Expand
  19. Sep 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *know* that this game will change everything. After you play it there is no going back, your standard for CRPGs, RPGs and games as a whole. This is the test, if you can't finish it, don't give it a bad review for your lack of taste. Expand
  20. Oct 5, 2014
    It is the first true epic game and an instant classic. But it is not without its flaws.
    First of all, it has way too many fedex type quests. It is too boring. That's -0.5.
    And then its combat is royally broken. So that's another -0.5.

But then again, as I say again, it's the first true epic game, so I give it +1 bonus, that it's 10.
  21. Oct 23, 2014
    Honestly, I have yet to find a game that does what Planescape Torment did better. And it's been almost 20 years of searching. It will probably never happen,but if that day comes, it will be glorious.
  22. Apr 6, 2015
    Strong, unique narrative and a few interesting philosophical concepts, but it's not quite enough to totally overshadow the lame combat system and poor balancing of character attributes.

Pros: -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions -Dialogue trees -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions -Artwork, setting Cons:

Pros:
    -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions
    -Dialogue trees
    -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions
    -Artwork, setting

Cons:

-Combat is pointless and uninteresting (also rare)
    -Game is unbalanced... Strength, dexterity and constitution attributes are useless. Wisdom unlocks most dialogue options, with a few options being unlocked by intelligence and charisma. Mage class is 10000x stronger than your other options due to the above reasons
    -A few bugs, most can be fixed with unofficial patches, but a couple quest-breaking bugs persist
  23. Mar 31, 2015
    This game is a piece of art. I've never played in anything with similar depth in my life, and I've been playing games since 1992. Anyone looking for a remarkable experience should play it.
  24. May 3, 2015
    Strength lies in *knowing* oneself. Best computer RPG ever written without a shadow of a doubt, and so far the only game in which I've felt repulsed from the evil options - I simply couldn't be a dick to Dak'kon.
  25. Mar 8, 2011
    I'll start by saying this is my favorite video game of all time. The story in unarguably the best out of any video game, and better than the average stories in many other medias. The game does have its faults, mostly in slow combat / gameplay and bugs. But they are all negligible once you get engrossed in the story and characters, which are truly great. Every quest has multiple ways ofI'll start by saying this is my favorite video game of all time. The story in unarguably the best out of any video game, and better than the average stories in many other medias. The game does have its faults, mostly in slow combat / gameplay and bugs. But they are all negligible once you get engrossed in the story and characters, which are truly great. Every quest has multiple ways of beating it, and its one of the few RPGs that allow you to play a mostly passive character if you wish (with only a handful of 'required' battles in the game.) This game does require a lot of reading, so if your in the mood for fun gameplay look elsewhere. But if youre looking for a truly remarkable role playing experience, you would be hard pressed to find any better than this. Expand
  26. Mar 23, 2011
    It's stupid to write another review but it's a generally well-known fact that I am a very stupid man so here we go: play this game, you dork. It's much better than the crap you're currently spending time on.
  27. Apr 3, 2011
    A timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factionsA timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factions in a PC game, and the fact that the Planescape source material was extremely strong and imaginative surely helped. The characters were a sight to behold, with extremely detailed personalities and many ideological conflicts between them cleverly used by the game to furtherly emphasize the setting's nuances. Expand
  28. Oct 22, 2011
    To me Planescape: Torment is pinnacle of storytelling in gaming. It has funny, personal and powerful story of identity, memory and redemption. It lacks in sheer playability and smoothness, but these do not cripple its might at all. To me Dak'kon of Skrathlor, Morte, The Transcendent One and others just as important characters than Tifa, Barret or Sephiroth.

The Nameless One (YOU) wakes at

The Nameless One (YOU) wakes at morgue. Its labourers are are rotten undead and your only guide about anything is snarky skull. So you set out to Sigil (city everywhere and nowhere) in quest to find about yourself. And you can't die, so something must be amiss. And it is and in matters you (PLAYER) can only imagine. AND IT IS AWESOME.

This game is great. Story about amnesiac immortal breaks down all cliches of genre and in addition it is covered with beautiful graphics, magnificent sound and completeley adequate playability. This game was not designed not to be fighting, but more about searching, learning and finally accepting what is true. Voice-acting has skilled names doing awesome roles and characters they play are real. Even snarky skull Morte is more than it seemsa, but he still is snarky skull. And in addition to this lovable coward you face zerth Dak'kon, succubus (she is chaste, prim and proper) Fall-From-Grace, tiefling Annah with most sexy scottish accent and insane Ignus- living and ecstatic conduit to Plane of Fire. All these and several more weirdos are just gravy on top of story, which ends in thoroughly epic (and nively smoothly played) Grande Finale.

Planescape: Torment is not about great AI of party members, smooth combat against hordes of goblins or about facing insane madman who just happens to be King of Highland. Planescape: Torment is great novel told in despised format of gaming and delivers sheer Art. Even though it is crude as game, it is amgnificent as story. In my eyes encounter between The Nameless One and The Transcendent One is just as epic as any other final boss.

This game is not a masterpiece. It is The Masterpiece. And I took no pleasure in its appearance.
  29. May 21, 2011
    Definitely the best RPG of all time. The only negative point I can find is the combat, although it isn't horrible. That one negative point does not manage to drag anything else down. Do not get it if you don't like reading at all.
  30. Feb 14, 2012
    People are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. HowPeople are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. How many games that you've played have that effect on you? Not many I'd guess. This game stands alone. Absolutely. Brilliant. Expand
  31. Mar 30, 2012
    I haven't come across a game with more depth. The number of characters and the length of their dialogues are incredible. Laconic, touched, witty, smarmy and demented replies are all accepted, but not always given good marks. Your incarnation of The Nameless One, one of a vast number of permutations to make his way through the Planescape, meets other lost or downtrodden wanderers, amiableI haven't come across a game with more depth. The number of characters and the length of their dialogues are incredible. Laconic, touched, witty, smarmy and demented replies are all accepted, but not always given good marks. Your incarnation of The Nameless One, one of a vast number of permutations to make his way through the Planescape, meets other lost or downtrodden wanderers, amiable or suspicious enough to accompany him on his journey. Even these characters have vast ideologies and backgrounds to explore and will often grant you boons in return for your interest. The attributes system grants points to each character as they gain experience. These points are allocated among traits: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. Each character will limit him/herself in various aspects: ability to wear armour types or wield weapons, carrying capacity, capability of combat styles, magical knowledge, casting adeptness, dialogue choices and persuasiveness. It's up to you to decide how useful or fitting these abilities are to fighters, mages, thieves or priests. The items picked up, stolen or crafted range from bog-standard to fantastical: weapons, armor or profound tattoos, that grant certain individuals additional attributes when worn; staple potions, radical medical curatives and pica chews; obscure artifacts, works of art and religious icons, usable only by certain theological alignments. Trying to comprehend how the game was written absolutely boggles the mind. A collection of interwoven worlds with plenty of obscure, tangential areas. Enough to stretch the length of gameplay to absurd levels. Expand
  32. ChaiK.
    Jun 14, 2008
    After so many ears i still easily find myself loading up my saved games just to bring up certain interactions between the characters. I must have at least played the game 5 times now. It is one of those story that will stay with you even after many years, sort of like cult classics such as Highlander 1, Back To The Future Trilogy, Batman Begins etc. Its a shame that the newer graphic After so many ears i still easily find myself loading up my saved games just to bring up certain interactions between the characters. I must have at least played the game 5 times now. It is one of those story that will stay with you even after many years, sort of like cult classics such as Highlander 1, Back To The Future Trilogy, Batman Begins etc. Its a shame that the newer graphic cards do not support certain part of the game such as spell-casting. Expand
  33. Richard
    Nov 29, 2005
    Easily the finest, most engrossing, most brilliant conceived game ever made. Flawless, and almost painfully intelligent.
  34. UK_John
    Feb 1, 2007
    Planescape Torment, if it were a film, ut would be Citizen Kane or Ben Hur. If it were a book, it would be War and Peace, or something by Shakespeare. It is, by far, the most artistic, mature, creative story ever penned in any media. It has characters that have the deepness of life-long friends, it has more emotion than a Rocky film and does all this in a way that makes reading enjoying Planescape Torment, if it were a film, ut would be Citizen Kane or Ben Hur. If it were a book, it would be War and Peace, or something by Shakespeare. It is, by far, the most artistic, mature, creative story ever penned in any media. It has characters that have the deepness of life-long friends, it has more emotion than a Rocky film and does all this in a way that makes reading enjoying again, with immersion that takes you to another world like no book or movie has done before. It is a work of art and will be remembered for as long as anyone who has played it is still alive on this planet. It is, of course, the greatest game ever published, on any format. If you have not bought this game, do so, challenge yourself, stretch your mind. You will never be the same person again and you will know yourself better than you did before playing it. It is that profound an experience to play. Expand
  35. IvanM.
    Aug 14, 2007
    The best game I have ever played in twenty years of computer gaming, bar none (and I have played a LOT of games). Eight years on I can still recall how profoundly that game gripped me, and I am not an overly emotional person. You will care about the characters, you will be moved, you will make choices that tell you more about yourself. It sounds trite, I know, but it really is that good. The best game I have ever played in twenty years of computer gaming, bar none (and I have played a LOT of games). Eight years on I can still recall how profoundly that game gripped me, and I am not an overly emotional person. You will care about the characters, you will be moved, you will make choices that tell you more about yourself. It sounds trite, I know, but it really is that good. If only someone would make more of these...insightful, intelligent, devastatingly creative. Fallout is the only RPG to come close. A word of warning: You MUST read all the text, explore all the dialogue options, if you are to gain the most from the game. A decent intelligence and wisdom score is recommended.....although so is a decent score in everything else....the game does the best job of making usually superflous statistics genuinely useful that I have ever seen. Still very much worth playing. Expand
  36. Mar 8, 2011
    The best story ever told.The most influential RPG ever.The best RPG ever.The most intriguing main character to play with.The most interesting NPC character stories ever told.Enigmatic atmosphere and beautiful musical background done by Mark Morgan made this game specific and flawless.But the most important thing that makes this game unique is novel-like conversation system.Which gives thisThe best story ever told.The most influential RPG ever.The best RPG ever.The most intriguing main character to play with.The most interesting NPC character stories ever told.Enigmatic atmosphere and beautiful musical background done by Mark Morgan made this game specific and flawless.But the most important thing that makes this game unique is novel-like conversation system.Which gives this game soul,and distinction from other games.There's only One,not Many.Not Baldurs Gate,nor Fallout,nor Icewind Dale,nor Morrowind,nor DIablo or any other.There's only One.And i qoute:'' What can change the nature of a man?'' Collapse
  37. Mar 28, 2011
    This is the best written computer game. Story, setting, and DnD character and alignment system blend perfectly. Everything is connected the world of this game. After I played Planescape: Torment, my ability to enjoy other, inferior, RPGs was severely diminished. Infinity engine combat system was flawed, but with the importance the game places on dialogues dominating the importance ofThis is the best written computer game. Story, setting, and DnD character and alignment system blend perfectly. Everything is connected the world of this game. After I played Planescape: Torment, my ability to enjoy other, inferior, RPGs was severely diminished. Infinity engine combat system was flawed, but with the importance the game places on dialogues dominating the importance of combat, flaws of combat can be neglected. Expand
  38. May 18, 2011
    Stop playing your Dragon Age 2s and your Call of Duty 17s, with the Pokemon and the jello pudding, and PLAY THIS GAME.

Seeing as how every review before me has already said this, I will redundantly add that this is *the* best RPG (re: game of any kind) that has ever been made. Make this game *known* to you. I will would literally spend my entire fortune and kill a homeless person to see a developer take up the monumental task of remaking of this game for the 21st century. WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS? BUY THIS GAME.
  39. Dec 16, 2011
    You either quit playing this game after the first hour or get sucked into the planes. From the technician's point of view it's quite awful game. The story and characters are undoubtedly best of all video games ever made. Give it a shot. Maybe do not try to treat it as a video game, think of it as a story or even a "book".
  40. Jan 8, 2012
    Finished. It was great. I still can't believe I haven't heard of it before. The story was incredible, the only game that has a story like PST is The Witcher 2, and that's it. Though the combat could be stupid at times, the dialogues and the story far make up for It.
  41. Feb 16, 2012
    Some people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it'sSome people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it's own inspiration. Original ideas are rare, and when you back them up with a game of supurb depth and length - and you are left with nothing but praise and awe. Better than dragon age origins and baldur's gate 2 both of which I consider masterpieces. That's how good planescape torment was, and is even today. And while deus ex remains a game I enjoyed more - this comes very close to taking every crown there is. 10/10, 100/100, 999/1000 Expand
  42. Feb 17, 2012
    Planescape: Torment was one of the first RPGs I played. And sadly, it ruined the genre for me. "WHAT? How can such a classic ruin the genre for you! You complete numpty!", you might be thinking. Well, it didn't ruin RPGs for me because it was bad. Quite the opposite in fact. Torment is simply so good, that every RPG afterwards has been rather hum-drum in comparison. I'm sure that part ofPlanescape: Torment was one of the first RPGs I played. And sadly, it ruined the genre for me. "WHAT? How can such a classic ruin the genre for you! You complete numpty!", you might be thinking. Well, it didn't ruin RPGs for me because it was bad. Quite the opposite in fact. Torment is simply so good, that every RPG afterwards has been rather hum-drum in comparison. I'm sure that part of the reason is that Torment was one of my first forays into the wonderful world of (W)RPGs, but the game really is one of the classics.

The main reason is that the story, the setting, the characters and the atmosphere of the game are all unparalleled. This is not a tale of kings and queens, of lands that need to be saved or of damsels that need to de-stress after their distress. You're not the saviour, not the chosen one and, most of the time, not much of a hero either. This tale is a personal tale. It tells the story of an apparently immortal man who has no idea who he is, where he is or how he ended up not being able to die. In his journey for answers you meet a host of rather interesting characters and companions (a talking skull, an empty suit of armour and a chaste succubus among others) and you slowly discover hints about your past and why you ended up the way you did. An amnesiac main character isn't very original, (how many books and films have employed the same trick? I can't remember. Hmmm) but it is the way the story is told that makes it so engaging. The game implies instead of explains and leaves the player to fill in blanks, which makes the tale all the more engaging. The setting is delightfully weird and a breath of fresh air for people sick of the enormous deluge of RPGs set in a faux-medieval, faux-european faux-fantasy land. In this game, no elfs in sight! No dwarves either, not even when you look down! The game takes place, for the most part, in the city of Sigil, the city of Doors and the centre of existence. Here you can take portals to all the known and unknown planes. If you can find the right key, that is. Belief is power in the City of Doors and the power of belief manifests in reality. Get enough people to belief in your idea and see it come to pass, lose the belief of your people and even Gods might as well be dead.

Yeah, yeah, the game spins a grand tale. We get it! How about the rest? The nitty-gritty, the meat and potatoes? In short, the combat? Well, the setting, story and characters are really the main strenghts of the game. This is a game to play if you like a good story, a different world and if you enjoy reading. Do your preferences lean more towards the combat side of games, then this title is not for you.
    There is combat in the game, reminiscent of games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but it feels sluggish and gets boring quickly. The combat spell effects are rather special though, so playing as a mage will give you some graphical satisfaction during combat.

Graphically, the isometric 2D view works well for the game, and the detailed and colourful backgrounds are beautiful, even more than ten years later. The music and sound effects have also held up well and add to an already impressively atmospheric game.

In short, Planescape:Torment is an absolute classic for its storyline, setting and atmosphere and deserves to be played by anyone interested in a story-driven game. Combat is not the game's strong point, so action fanatics may pass this one up. Well, you should still try it just so you can say you played it, but you probably won't like it all that much.
  43. AlexanderS.
    Mar 7, 2003
    Torment is THE game for any person who gain any enjoyment from philosopical, theological and deeply horrifying thoughts. That is, any person with any intelligent thoughts what-so-ever. Play this game and if you are not one of the stupid people in this world you will, and must, LOVE this game.
  44. K.P.
    Apr 14, 2007
    The best RPG to have come out, and still 8 years later as deeply etched in one's very soul as to bring a lump in my throat just thinking about how great it is. Lovable, affectionate characters, a dark, emphatic storyline and a tremendously philosophical, imaginative storyline - it is, in my mind, unchallenged at the very top, though some games have tried for the new top dog. If you The best RPG to have come out, and still 8 years later as deeply etched in one's very soul as to bring a lump in my throat just thinking about how great it is. Lovable, affectionate characters, a dark, emphatic storyline and a tremendously philosophical, imaginative storyline - it is, in my mind, unchallenged at the very top, though some games have tried for the new top dog. If you like games that really immerse you in every sense of the word, you will love this one for the rest of your days. Expand
  45. GaupepasserS.
    Jun 17, 2007
    Intellectually sating, emotionally riveting, totally immersive and immensely atmospheric. Game creators, take heed! This is the stuff that dreams are made of.
  46. MirkoB.
    Sep 17, 2009
    Simply astonishing, totally unmatched experience. ten years after the release some of the interface and mechanics could leave a feel that there could be improvements, but the game IS the story and the characters, and that are still fantastic!
  47. Feb 26, 2012
    I made account here just to give 10 to this masterpiece. One of the best games ever made. I prefer BG II to Planescape, but in my opinion PS:T has better story. What is the nature of man? Immortal lover, immortal killer, neverending pain and torment - this game is a philosophical masterpiece.
  48. SHODAN
    Jan 12, 2008
    In playing Planescape: Torment, it becomes clear that the game is a construct of the ideals and carefully considered philosophies of passionate, hard-working minds. One gets the impression that "Torment" is a product of some irretrievable, perfect circumstance whereby a team of like-minded individuals were free to think and work outside of monetary and publisher constraints. Everything In playing Planescape: Torment, it becomes clear that the game is a construct of the ideals and carefully considered philosophies of passionate, hard-working minds. One gets the impression that "Torment" is a product of some irretrievable, perfect circumstance whereby a team of like-minded individuals were free to think and work outside of monetary and publisher constraints. Everything about the game seems thoughtful and inherently intelligent as well as being masterfully crafted. The stellar, original art and sound direction compliment it's well-written, intricate plot. It is a detailed and subtle world inhabited by believably complex and meaningful characters with their own back stories and motivations. Instead of feeling that I was the center of the world, it seemed like it was all happening around me. I felt that I was killing real people for real reasons. Torment, like other brilliantly designed titles (i.e. Deus Ex, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn) forced me to empathize and think. Such things define 'art'. You'll really need to just play it to see what is meant. Expand
  49. HonkenburgerD.
    Oct 20, 2004
    The best RPG ever, no question its all about the story - totally unconventional - avoids all the usual trite cliches of fantasy RPGs you'll never play a game like it, despite searching high and low when you've finished it.
  50. Arnoud
    Sep 10, 2007
    This game has the most intense atmosphere a game can bring you. The storyline is enthralling, the soundtrack amazing. Most of all, the dialogue options in the game (yes you will read a lot)are fantastic. This game does not grow old.
  51. CraigG.
    Oct 7, 2007
    I'm a huge fan of other Infinity engine games, Baldur's gate, icewind dale. I never had the chance to play Planescape: Torment till very recently, and let me tell you, this game is awesome, very awesome. It's not a game that would appeal to everyone, it's more or less the anti-Diablo game. One that focuses less on the combat, not saying the combat is bad, but Torment I'm a huge fan of other Infinity engine games, Baldur's gate, icewind dale. I never had the chance to play Planescape: Torment till very recently, and let me tell you, this game is awesome, very awesome. It's not a game that would appeal to everyone, it's more or less the anti-Diablo game. One that focuses less on the combat, not saying the combat is bad, but Torment is a lot less combat intensive than the other Infinity engine games. That being said, the focus is on the story, and my oh my, what a story they have crafted, and weaved. This story in this game is emotionally engaging for the player. The game does have a plethora of text however, a necessity, but nevertheless, a warning for the illiterate. If you are a gamer out there that like RPGs, and not afraid of reading, and just happen to find it somewhere, buy it, play it... I can't possibly see how you would regret it. It seems to have stood the test of time very well. Expand
  52. Jan 19, 2011
    To be sincere... never played it! But my boyfriend is a big fan (in fact is his favourite game)... so... I can say (instead of him) that the game looks pretty good and the story interesting. Well... I was not talking in his words... he'd say TOTALLY RECOMENDED... AMAZING... THRILLING... of course if you're the kind of person who loves reading even if the story takes you 1h and a half...To be sincere... never played it! But my boyfriend is a big fan (in fact is his favourite game)... so... I can say (instead of him) that the game looks pretty good and the story interesting. Well... I was not talking in his words... he'd say TOTALLY RECOMENDED... AMAZING... THRILLING... of course if you're the kind of person who loves reading even if the story takes you 1h and a half... you'd love this one. Expand
  53. Apr 14, 2011
    I don't see how anything can surpass this game. The combat and the UI are both less than stellar, so I can see why some would complain though I myself didn't find it that bad. The story however, along with the characters and to a lesser extent the setting, is enough to raise it above every other game I've played. I just hope they never try to remake this!
  54. Sep 27, 2011
    Simply one of the best games ever created... there are no rpgs today that reach the level of depth of this game... This is one of the game that you have to play before you die!
  55. Sep 28, 2011
    Best role playing game...ever! The incredible story is unrivaled by most RPGs except the few elite ones out there. I played this game back when it was released and it was overshadowed by the more combat oriented Baldur's Gate series (amazing game as well). You have to experience this game to realize how good it is. Graphics are dated but the wonderful artwork coupled with mods that improveBest role playing game...ever! The incredible story is unrivaled by most RPGs except the few elite ones out there. I played this game back when it was released and it was overshadowed by the more combat oriented Baldur's Gate series (amazing game as well). You have to experience this game to realize how good it is. Graphics are dated but the wonderful artwork coupled with mods that improve resolution make this game still a beautiful game to play.Worth for players that never experience non-3D graphics. Expand
  56. Mar 21, 2012
    Over a decade later, and I can safely say this for role-playing games (and perhaps all games): they just don't make them like they used to. I played Planescape: Torment when I was much younger and could not grasp much of its complexity. I return to it now and see that it is, without a doubt, the best RPG I have played so far. The story is profound and mind-bending, as are all theOver a decade later, and I can safely say this for role-playing games (and perhaps all games): they just don't make them like they used to. I played Planescape: Torment when I was much younger and could not grasp much of its complexity. I return to it now and see that it is, without a doubt, the best RPG I have played so far. The story is profound and mind-bending, as are all the characters in it. Through many a dialogue did I feel genuinely moved, awed, or chilled to the bone. What's more, the gameplay is open-ended and relies on you being resourceful. It does not hold your hand, it does not walk you through tutorials--NO! Like the Nameless One, you wake in a cold, dark world with nothing, not even your memories, and you must go forth to solve the mystery of YOURSELF using your wits and what few scraps you have. Combat is the same way. It forces you to constantly change your strategies and take advantage of the many spells, skills, and items you acquire along the way. At the same time, you are required to concentrate on the dialogue in order to puzzle out the various clues you collect throughout your journey. Torment is so well-written, however, that it unfolds like a darkly poetic novel. Ultimately, if you put enough thought and energy into Planescape: Torment, it comes to life in an extraordinary way. Few games (if any) can compare. It was definitely worth the hours of finagling it took to get this old masterpiece running on my modern desktop. Expand
  57. May 29, 2012
    I've never seen another game like this after I first played it. The closet I ever got was Fate Stay/Night and other Japanese visual novels with English subtitles.

The story, as described by others, is phenomenal. The characters are bonded to the protagonist, and thus to the player. True role playing, not in the sense that the player gets to decide to write up a backstory that the CRPG doesn't even know exist, but to role play as the protagonist in a story someone else write especially for this CRPG. The graphics in a lot of ways is aesthetically more pleasing than Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights. You can see a lot of details and each character has a large enough sprite slot that the animation is smooth and the combat actions are true. In BG, half of your characters look the same and have no "artistic identity". But here, there is a pure difference between all the NPCs and the main protagonist.
  58. Jun 19, 2012
    The world of Planescape: Torment can capture the imagination like few others. The intricate, well thought out philosophical/political landscape brings the city of Sigil to life and the developers put as much thought into what it means to have a protagonist who is immortal. If you are a fan of Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, or other pen and paper inspired RPGs this is a must play. IfThe world of Planescape: Torment can capture the imagination like few others. The intricate, well thought out philosophical/political landscape brings the city of Sigil to life and the developers put as much thought into what it means to have a protagonist who is immortal. If you are a fan of Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, or other pen and paper inspired RPGs this is a must play. If you've never played Dungeons and Dragons this could be the game that sparks a new hobby Expand
  59. May 20, 2013
    Chances are you didn't land on the page of Torment Planescape by coincidence, not in 2013. And you probably know what kind of game type it is. So just try this game.

And good news if you like it, a new Torment game got funded and is under development^^
  60. BradB.
    Jun 10, 2007
    While the graphics are now dated, this game still stands out as one of the best RPGs I've played as it's story is the most compelling you're likely to find.
  61. Oct 8, 2011
    Planescape Torment is a masterpiece of work in RPG video game genre. The characters, individually, are among the best you will encounter in a game and all are with deep backstories and interesting personality and The massive amount of dialog used to present its story. Dialog trees stretch sometimes up to 10+ options, each with several subcategories, and with several more sub-subPlanescape Torment is a masterpiece of work in RPG video game genre. The characters, individually, are among the best you will encounter in a game and all are with deep backstories and interesting personality and The massive amount of dialog used to present its story. Dialog trees stretch sometimes up to 10+ options, each with several subcategories, and with several more sub-sub categories. Those dialog lines often will take quite some time to absorb which is why this game is not as popular as Baldur's Gate series. The story in this game is incredibly good. You play the game as a character that can never be killed and nameless. What you do in the game is to discover who you were, why things are happening, and what to do next, so you are truly role play a Character as you want to be. Although it did a tremendous job on story telling, the gameplay in this game falls a bit short. The pacing in this game is too slow and since you can not die, it really take a lot fun from the game itself. So overall it's a 9 out 10, I like Baldur's Gate 2 better Expand
  62. Mar 18, 2011
    What is there to say about this game except that it was a tragedy that it was not a commercial success. It is, simply put, the best RPG ever made. It is by no means for everyone; it is a gamer's game. It is for people who want to think...even meditate...about their gaming experience. There is no shoot-em up. There are no friends for you to play with it. There is no world to save. ItWhat is there to say about this game except that it was a tragedy that it was not a commercial success. It is, simply put, the best RPG ever made. It is by no means for everyone; it is a gamer's game. It is for people who want to think...even meditate...about their gaming experience. There is no shoot-em up. There are no friends for you to play with it. There is no world to save. It contradicts just about everything that modern gaming has become. It is a masterpiece. Expand
  63. Sep 30, 2011
    Replayability is the major issue for me with games. Unfortunately this game does not have a great deal of it and I can't give it a 10, but it's still a very close run thing. Astounding. Unforgettable. Hypnotic. Exhilarating. The amnesiac storyline sounds cliched but this amnesiac storyline is so different, so well told, so deeply described that the game is more than forgiven for it. ThereReplayability is the major issue for me with games. Unfortunately this game does not have a great deal of it and I can't give it a 10, but it's still a very close run thing. Astounding. Unforgettable. Hypnotic. Exhilarating. The amnesiac storyline sounds cliched but this amnesiac storyline is so different, so well told, so deeply described that the game is more than forgiven for it. There are not many joinable NPCs, one of them is hard to find and another does not appear until near the end. But these NPCs have, individually, more personality than shelfloads of games than I could mention, so again, the game is more than forgiven. There are more than a few bugs. But this game is so engrossing that you don't really care. Game absolved again. From the constant thud thud in the Lower Ward to the very inspiring fighting music in Curst, the sounds in this game make it unforgettably atmospheric. This game does not have many areas, does not last very long and has been accused of having an unsatisfactory ending. But no other game has such a plethora of memorable characters, stimulating dialogues, great music, spell visuals and moments of great hilarity in such a short space of time. It just shows what can happen when people's motivation is belief and pride in what they are doing and a love for it too, as opposed to purely making money. As far as I know, there are two valid endings which occur about half way towards the accepted ending (and one other a lot closer). I can think of no other game which dares to do that. An exceptionally enduring masterpiece. Expand
  64. J.B.
    Aug 11, 2006
    A great role-playing game for people who would rather talk their way through fights while being engaged in an awesome story. PS:T is essentially a murder mystery with RPG elements, making it thoroughly enjoyable to play the first time through but limiting its replayability somewhat (which is why it gets a 9). If you like RPGs, and haven't picked up this game, you should.
  65. rafalkrawczyk
    Apr 24, 2007
    Probably the wisest and most insightful of computer games ever. Comparable to Grim Fandango an Fallout series.
  66. Black
    May 3, 2007
    The best, deepest, most developed CRPG ever... We all should bow to it.
  67. TheElusivePossom
    May 27, 2003
    Black Isle excel in creating gaming excellence in their genre of fantasy RPGs, and "Planescape" is a clear example of their efforts, firmly established as one of the best RPGs ever made. This game has it all: a deep, involving and at times graphic storyline that would Stephen King quit writing, healthy doses of bizarre humour and most of all, IMAGINATION. The world in which you exist is Black Isle excel in creating gaming excellence in their genre of fantasy RPGs, and "Planescape" is a clear example of their efforts, firmly established as one of the best RPGs ever made. This game has it all: a deep, involving and at times graphic storyline that would Stephen King quit writing, healthy doses of bizarre humour and most of all, IMAGINATION. The world in which you exist is wonderfully tailored to capture the feel of a fantasy dimension, from the variety of species to the weird and wonderful locales. Indeed, the first 2 members of your party comprise of an undead immortal who can regenerate over time and a wise-cracking talking skull! There's also so much to do, as within the game are practically hundreds of quests to complete. You can even join a faction to access other areas, and the theme of character development plays hugely. Plainly, if your into D+D, this is a must have, especially at the ludicrously cheap budget price it's going at nowadays. Expand
  68. ChanunB.
    Apr 3, 2003
    This game is seriously awesome. It has probably the best story i've ever seen in a game, which is partly due to the fact that the hero isnt your typical make the sun shine and everyone hold hands and sing at the end type of guy. If you're looking for an rpg with some originality, great humor, and one hell of a story, pick this up.
  69. Chris
    Dec 15, 2003
    It's now 2003 and I sitll haven't played a better computer RPG, and believe me, I've been looking. If you like RPGs, stop reading this review now and go find yourself a copy as soon as possible. Whjy? The storyline and interactions with non-player characters have more depth than any other game. Many novels would do well to have as much depth and wel-done story.
  70. JonnyBravo
    Dec 20, 2004
    This is not the best RPG game I have ever played. This is the best game I have ever played. This is so powerful, it will stay with you long after you have finished the game, like a great book or movie would. Right now I am trying to find a game that could bring me at least half the joy I had from expiriencing Planescape Torment. But...no. they just don't make em like that anymore. This is not the best RPG game I have ever played. This is the best game I have ever played. This is so powerful, it will stay with you long after you have finished the game, like a great book or movie would. Right now I am trying to find a game that could bring me at least half the joy I had from expiriencing Planescape Torment. But...no. they just don't make em like that anymore. Well Fallout 2 (or maybe Legacy of Kain Blood Omen, another great oldie) could be compared to Torment but the latter is somehow more gripping, believe me. So to the abyss with all the Final Fantasies, if you want some real stuff, which is beautiful, brutal and original, play Torment. By the way do not expect too much classic fantasy AD&D from the game, though it is of course based on that. Expand
  71. Ben
    Mar 12, 2005
    At last, an RPG in the full sense of the word. Planescape: Torment reaches new heights in storytelling, originality and gameplay. It is a refreshing change from the predictable Save-The-World Tolkienesque RPG's, instead opting for a game built on self-discovery and self-awareness. Torment is so good, gratifying, saddening and emotionally charged that YOU also go through a journey of At last, an RPG in the full sense of the word. Planescape: Torment reaches new heights in storytelling, originality and gameplay. It is a refreshing change from the predictable Save-The-World Tolkienesque RPG's, instead opting for a game built on self-discovery and self-awareness. Torment is so good, gratifying, saddening and emotionally charged that YOU also go through a journey of self discovery, not just your pixelated protagonist. One of the Greatest creations of all time-and you haven't played an RPG until you've played Planescape: Torment. Expand
  72. OliverC.
    Sep 22, 2005
    You may think my rating is excessive, but Torment is quite simply the best game ever to come to the PC. An unbelievably good story and background help make this game one of THE best things ever committed to the Computer and it certainly rules the D&D CRPG roost.
  73. MetaP.
    Dec 5, 2006
    On the most epic scale, Planescape: Torment rates among the gods - possibly the most brilliant, masterful, drawing, and overall superbly enjoyable game ever conceived. Amazing character interaction, superb customization, a beautifully intelligent plot, and so, so, so much more await you in Torment - one of those rare games that will probably *rise* in value as time proceeds.
  74. JohnT
    Jan 10, 2008
    A masterwork, the only downside being nothing else will ever be this good! Oh, petty games makers kneel at the feet of this giant, and weep into your cups for your lofty ambitions will never rise to the level of this masterpiece. Simply astonishing piece of art, and almost an insult to call it a game.
  75. Mr.Potato
    Mar 16, 2008
    I have been a PC gamer close to 20 years and I own more than 200 original titles. I can say that this is one of the BEST games I EVER had the pleasure of playing and also own...the story is so deep and so are the characters.If you love RPG games you MUST buy it, if you hate RPG games go buy it and you'll fall in love with them!Purely a work of art!!!
  76. Aug 28, 2012
    I played this Game in the year 2012. This is game is amazing. If i should rate this game on release date it would be a 11 but now im giving it a 10. if you like rpgs with cool characters, a very nice story and your focus is not on combat. dude GET THIS!!
  77. Oct 9, 2012
    I still look back on my time with this game as my happiest gaming moments in the era after I was old enough to not like everything. This game changed my mental landscape and the way my imagination works. I want to get addicted to whatever the developers were on.
  78. Oct 15, 2012
    One of my all time favorites, if you want a unique RPG with a great story, this is for you. The protagonist is unforgettable , the NPCs are some of the best of all time (up there with BG/BG2), and the environment is amazing. The graphics are dated even with recent patches to increase the resolution, but it's absolutely worth playing.
  79. Oct 17, 2012
    I played this game for the 1st time in 2012.....13 years since it was released. I can easily say this the best story in video games i have experienced and it even matches up to some pretty great stories in famous books. With memorable companions,intriguing plot, believable n fully fleshed NPCs and an amazing protagonist, this is a epic story for the ages. Gamers who like high amount ofI played this game for the 1st time in 2012.....13 years since it was released. I can easily say this the best story in video games i have experienced and it even matches up to some pretty great stories in famous books. With memorable companions,intriguing plot, believable n fully fleshed NPCs and an amazing protagonist, this is a epic story for the ages. Gamers who like high amount of action in games may not like this one as it involves a lot of reading, but those who invest in the story and have patience will derive unparalleled joy. Planescape: Torment - My favourite game forever. If eligible for the Oscar's you would have swept most categories. I salute the developers and thank them for creating this masterpiece. A Timeless Classic Expand
  80. Nov 25, 2012
    "What can change the nature of a man?" That's the question the protagonist must ultimately answer. Thus begins a journey into the strange, profound, and heart-wrenching. I played this as a teenager and the story still haunts me to this day. If someone makes a sequel, I sincerely hope they will treat it with the utmost respect as homage to the original.
  81. Dec 21, 2012
    They just dont make games like this anymore. It has the BEST story in a videogame of all times. And what makes this game the best is that it is the only one where choice does matter. In other games the biggest choice you have to make is generally being good or evil which is extremly predictable. Here it takes a whole new spin. Here when you start a conversation you dont know where itsThey just dont make games like this anymore. It has the BEST story in a videogame of all times. And what makes this game the best is that it is the only one where choice does matter. In other games the biggest choice you have to make is generally being good or evil which is extremly predictable. Here it takes a whole new spin. Here when you start a conversation you dont know where its heading, which talking option is the best. And here stats matter. If you have strength you can intimidate people, if you are dexterous you might catch a npc pickpocketing you, there are also endless options available trough intelligence, wisdom or charisma. No more dump stats as in Baldurs Gate. I am playing baldurs gate 2 now and while it is a great game and the combat aspect is better than planescape is lacks that thrill of the story and the choice.

Probably best videogame ever. Pity it had sold so little back in the day.
  82. Apr 29, 2013
    The best of the infinite engine games in terms of roleplaying (REAL roleplaying, not a game with a level-based progression system, more story then an action game typically has, with a bunch of empty choices). You're given a blank slate and are free to develop them however you wish, with your choices in game actually mattering, starting with your basic stats. In the other infinite engineThe best of the infinite engine games in terms of roleplaying (REAL roleplaying, not a game with a level-based progression system, more story then an action game typically has, with a bunch of empty choices). You're given a blank slate and are free to develop them however you wish, with your choices in game actually mattering, starting with your basic stats. In the other infinite engine games, there's few minimum stat requirements for dialog or quest options, making mental stats largely a waste, while physical stats, even for casters are usually the best stats. Not so in Torment....every action you take generally has some degree of minimum requirement involved. While a combat focused character can beat the game, they will have a DRAMATICALLY different experience from a more cerebral character would. This is actually largely a part of the setting. In the outer planes, reality is more malleable then on more stabilized prime worlds, allowing things as simple as believing in something enough (or enough people believing in it) to make it happen. This lends itself to a more thought provocting story. Though I will go ahead and acknowledge that the game play might not be for everyone. If you're more interested in combat or dungeon crawling, Baldur's Gate (equal balance on story and combat) or Icewind Dale (Dungeon Crawler with minimal story) might be more up your alley. However if a quality roleplaying experience is what you want, Torment does it best. There are actually very few games that can even rival it in those terms (mostly just Fallout 1 and 2, which are very similar in quality, though using a different overall system). Expand
  83. Bruno
    Dec 24, 2004
    This is absolutely the best game ever made. Best story, best roleplaying possilibities, infinite dialog lines.
  84. Martin
    Feb 23, 2005
    Best game ever made.
  85. NickX.
    Aug 2, 2005
    Simply the best.
  86. Simon
    Mar 30, 2008
    A game that can truly stand on its story alone. A true masterpiece that will leave the player with a satisfying sense of catharsis.
  87. Aug 11, 2011
    This game is still on my list of best games I have ever played. The game is near perfect and the ending will stay with you forever. Only game that brought a tear to my eye. Ever. such a wonderful and thought provoking game.
  88. May 22, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece, hands down the best computer RPG made so far. Intricate story and dialogue that easily surpasses most fantasy novels. Probably still makes writers of this recent Dragon Age type garbage rock in a fetal position and cry. Personal and complex characters, great atmosphere. A desktop & iOS remake seems likely now with Baldur's Gate: EE coming 2012 and hopefully thisAn absolute masterpiece, hands down the best computer RPG made so far. Intricate story and dialogue that easily surpasses most fantasy novels. Probably still makes writers of this recent Dragon Age type garbage rock in a fetal position and cry. Personal and complex characters, great atmosphere. A desktop & iOS remake seems likely now with Baldur's Gate: EE coming 2012 and hopefully this undervalued diamond will get the attention it deserves. Expand
  89. Matt
    Nov 7, 2006
    The very best game I have ever played, bar none. I've beaten it 4 times, and plan on playing it 4 more.
  90. Jun 24, 2011
    A videogame milestone, this Baldur's Gate derivative (it uses the same engine) isn't far from an interactive novel. Cast as the Nameless One, an immortal being, you go in search of your own memories and the meaning of your life (and more... but that would be a spoiler). The story is vast and original, the art style marvellously gothic, and many characters in subsequent games areA videogame milestone, this Baldur's Gate derivative (it uses the same engine) isn't far from an interactive novel. Cast as the Nameless One, an immortal being, you go in search of your own memories and the meaning of your life (and more... but that would be a spoiler). The story is vast and original, the art style marvellously gothic, and many characters in subsequent games are inspired by NPCs appearing in this one. Still, I feel the game is overrated. The story errs on the depressing side of tragic; it's hard to feel a connection with the Nameless One, especially on the matter of his past romance. Game mechanics wise, it's busted; you'll want to powergame the Int/Wis/Cha stats to get extra conversation options (the meat of the game), but the later stages are full of annoyingly tough enemies for no good reason. It's clear little effort got put into making the D&D 2E system work well: combat in this game is something to skip past (you can) rather than enjoy. I wonder if there's a fan patch to remove it? Expand
  91. NickJarvis
    Jun 5, 2009
    This game is awesome, and my only problem with it is that it tends to get a little bit...Icky. The mortuary with its half-dissected corpses everywhere and all that. But it remains one of the best single-player RPGs of all time, and it's a classic for a reason. Seriously, play it.
  92. JonK.
    Oct 18, 2003
    A very solid game, attracted me into a genre that I had always been (and still am) reluctant to play around in. The story and atmosphere make this one well worth a play.
  93. WeevilB.
    Aug 20, 2004
    Best RPG ever.
  94. IanC.
    Feb 25, 2005
    One of the best role-playing games of all time, if not one of the best games. Must have.
  95. Zac
    Apr 18, 2005
    By far the strongest storyline in any game I have played.
  96. HristoU.
    Jul 17, 2006
    My personal BEST, along with BGII and Fallout.
  97. eeganrac
    Jul 31, 2006
    Great game, i wish somebody would pick up the license and make a sequel.
  98. Mrbanjo
    Sep 26, 2006
    It's 2006 and it's still the best game I've ever played. Will always be my favourite.
  99. SkipSkip
    Apr 24, 2007
    By far the best story a game ever had. i've played a lot of games, but none gave me such amazing experience like Planscape Torment. a game every gamer HAS to try.
  100. MehmetT.
    Nov 29, 2007
    This game is one of the few examples that represents the pinnacle of RPGs to this date. A masterfully told unique story, memorable characters, beautifully done isometric graphics and memorable music. Oh there is combat too, it's just that the game puts much more emphasis on dialogue and solving quests than combat, which might be a turn off for action junkies or people who like a lot This game is one of the few examples that represents the pinnacle of RPGs to this date. A masterfully told unique story, memorable characters, beautifully done isometric graphics and memorable music. Oh there is combat too, it's just that the game puts much more emphasis on dialogue and solving quests than combat, which might be a turn off for action junkies or people who like a lot of action in RPGs. I was tempted to give this game a 10, but a 10 implies perfection. One reason for its less-than-perfect nature is that there are only three character classes to choose from for the protagonist, whereas other games that use D&D rules have much more variety. But nevertheless, anyone who considers themselves an RPG fan, or any one who wants to play a meaningful RPG should look no further than this game. Expand
  101. Mar 8, 2011

1. Yet another astounding title out the doors of the Black Isle factory.
    Torment boasts a thoroughly enjoyable story line, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be guessing how it all ends up with any degree of accuracy. This game has very few weaknesses, and predictability is certainly not one of them!
    Torment's graphics and sound are paradise. Gorgeous, hand-drawn backgrounds look sumptuous, even if they're overcome with dark, moody, colors.