7.0

1. Nov 29, 2012
    Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs.
  2. Dec 1, 2012
    Okay, for a free to play its a masterpiece, but thats not saying anything now is it. Lets see here, its a bit of a free to play, the physics are BLEH (First time I bought a tank... i moved 3 feet, then fell out the world, and a few other players did the same). The gameplay consists mainly of finding where the action is, and when you find it, the game starts to open up and you see theOkay, for a free to play its a masterpiece, but thats not saying anything now is it. Lets see here, its a bit of a free to play, the physics are BLEH (First time I bought a tank... i moved 3 feet, then fell out the world, and a few other players did the same). The gameplay consists mainly of finding where the action is, and when you find it, the game starts to open up and you see the beautiful flour that is Plantside 2, and it is beautiful. But when the action stops, you notice what a smelly flour the game is. The UI is complicated like all F2Ps, the flight controls are dumbed down, the exact opposite of a simulator, meaning your jet (that looks like a box with jet engines on the side of them) flys tight, so tight that it makes flying boring and dull. I did say the graphics are good, but the textures are bad when you look at them closely. The world is large, true, but its filled with nothing besides a few out posts and 3 massive structures for the main spawn. While we are on the spawn, spawn camping is a bit of a problem, you can have a firing squad outside your spawn and you cant do much about it besides pushing and grinding your way past. And while we are on grinding... this game is a grinding simulator, you need to spend hours and hours just to get a scope for your **** weapon. The bolt action sniper rifle is a 2 hit kill... whats wrong with that you might ask? Simple, it takes about 3 seconds to rechamber a round, and by then your opponent will be behind cover, rendering the rifle relativly useless for the player jumping into the game. This game deserves a 6. What the game can improve on is the physics, balancing, and optimization. My 7970 can run bf3 on ultra and have an average of 60 fps. In this I get an average of 50 on high... if I put everything on low... I get 53... so it needs tweaking. Go play it since its free, there really isnt anything interesting holding you there besides waiting for the next epic battle so you can watch your frames plumit Expand
  3. Jan 22, 2013
    At best, I would say "meh." I think the price is about right though.....I would have been upset if I paid for it. The graphics are alright, but the action is chaotic at times, but that's only when you find it. I am not sure exactly what it was, but I kept thinking about the fact that I had a perfectly good BF3 game in the next room....
  4. Nov 25, 2012
    I've paid 60 dollars for games that were less polished, less graphically pretty, less entertaining, less technically brilliant, and balanced worse than this totally free game. Under normal circumstances I might resent the cash shop, but given that the majority of what actually makes you a superior player needs to be unlocked via play and cannot be purchased, and given the fact that theI've paid 60 dollars for games that were less polished, less graphically pretty, less entertaining, less technically brilliant, and balanced worse than this totally free game. Under normal circumstances I might resent the cash shop, but given that the majority of what actually makes you a superior player needs to be unlocked via play and cannot be purchased, and given the fact that the cash shop is the only way that the developers are making money, I have absolutely no qualms. The gameplay is deep and the scale truly massive. Persistent war with hundreds of people fighting over territory in a never-ending battle across three huge continents using infantry as well as ground and air vehicles. They have create an enormous amount of content and made all of it relevant, available to everyone regardless of how much they paid, and crucial to gameplay. When I saw that this game was absolutely free I had my doubts about how deep the gameplay could be, or how much of it would be locked away behind a cash shop, but they really did go above and beyond, providing an experience that many triple-A premium-priced titles fail to deliver without segregating the paying players away from the free players.

I don't know how they did it. But they have managed something brilliant here, and I wish them great success. Not only for breaking new ground and taking a risk on giving their game away for free, but I would love to see more quality titles that follow in their footsteps.
  5. Nov 21, 2012
    Epic mmofps . Thousands of players all on the same map.
    The first planetside was revolutionary the 2nd is much the same. It's in my all time if not the best game I have ever played. I can't recommend this enough! First time player has a bit of a learning curve but get in a good squad and or platoon and the fun really starts!
  6. Nov 21, 2012
    One of the best FPS', if not games of the year. Want tactical action? Check. Large scale battles? Check! Vehicle and infantry warfare? It's all here. Free to play? That's just the icing on the cake.

Want some advice, get into a good squad and outfit as soon as possible. Even a small tactical squad of 5-6 will increase your enjoyment tenfold.
  7. Jan 29, 2013
    Pros: Free. Graphics. Scale. Vehicles. Teamwork. Base designs.
    Cons: Repetitive. Guns. Lag. Lots of traveling. Pay 2 Win. Pointless.
    Pros: Free. Graphics. Scale. Vehicles. Teamwork. Base designs.
    Cons: Repetitive. Guns. Lag. Lots of traveling. Pay 2 Win. Pointless.

To sum it up... this game is a lot of fun if you just want to login to shoot other people and try to find the next big battle. It would be more rewarding if trying to level up wasn't so painfully slow. Also, the gun mechanics feel terrible. With the terrible recoil every gun has in combination with lag, you'd be lucky if 5% of your shots landed on your target. Luckily, this game is free and looks amazing... and when you actually have a large group that communicates and knows what they are doing the game is much more enjoyable.
  8. Feb 15, 2013
    I would like this game. If it wasn't so much pay to win. Say, you want a gun so you play for 5 hours straight and then you get it (only if you play good) BUT if you have the money, you buy expensive credits and get the gun instantly. Game should be called Pay 2 Winside 2
  9. Feb 17, 2013
    Free to play? lol. More like free to hack. Have fun spending $50+ dollars on items that are bound to a single character to get you your competitive edge, only to have a hacker spawn kill you for 10 minutes. This game is the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. There are no active GMs, there is no anti-cheat detection. The only method SOE uses is reports fromFree to play? lol. More like free to hack. Have fun spending $50+ dollars on items that are bound to a single character to get you your competitive edge, only to have a hacker spawn kill you for 10 minutes. This game is the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. There are no active GMs, there is no anti-cheat detection. The only method SOE uses is reports from players followed by stats tracking. Sometimes it will take days to ban a hacker. Oh, but the game is FTP so what is stopping the banned hacker from just creating a new account? Nothing. Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    This game is a fun Free 2 Play game and will cost you nothing to experience battles that range across a huge continents. At first this game was really addicting, but on the second day of playing it dawned on me to stop.... I will explain why later. The game is like the Battlefield series, but on a grander scale. Which immediately stood out for me. The game is free and will cost you nothingThis game is a fun Free 2 Play game and will cost you nothing to experience battles that range across a huge continents. At first this game was really addicting, but on the second day of playing it dawned on me to stop.... I will explain why later. The game is like the Battlefield series, but on a grander scale. Which immediately stood out for me. The game is free and will cost you nothing to get into. Also the range of weapons and modifications and upgrades are huge. But, after about 8 hours of game-play is became apparent to me that this game is the pinnacle of Pay-2-Win concept games. In order to progress and upgrade your character (Which at starting your weapons and abilities are so crappy.) You need to earn what is called cert points. This is fine and okay. But, what SOE decided to do with these cert points is beyond me besides an attempt to push you to buy Cash Points. After 8+ Hours of play time I only accumulated about.. 80 Cert points. ALL upgrades require cert points... so there are NO weapons that can be gained otherwise. So in 8 hours I get 80 cert points... 10 points per hour and each item/gun costs about 500-1000+ cert points... do the math. You will find yourself constantly being killed by high level players who payed to win to get the best weapons and upgrades. Progression is horribly slow and such a grind if you intend on playing without paying. The game is playable and fun, the graphics are 'Meh' at most and still suck up a lot of GPU juice. But, I can't have fun in a game no matter how fun it is in a Pay-2-Win environment. I also wont spent 2-3 weeks of playing nothing but Planetside 2 like a job just to buy 2-3 weapons or upgrades. Making you eager to pay money to buy cash points just to speed things up. Expand
  11. Feb 10, 2013
    Countless bugs, almost no friend/foe ID unless you mouse over for 5 seconds, so by that time, if it was a foe, you are dead. Also, you die in 3 hits unless your armor is built up. Another free to play, free to die, pay to win, pay to survive game. Don't waste your time on this one.
  12. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is just amazing. But he is killed by his community. In fact, on my server 85% of Terran use hack. More than, cheat engine is available on all server, it is very stupid and destroy the game. Maybe 1 month for this game if nothing happen...
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    Lol at this game "becoming" an esport. The dev's made a terrible decision in this route. The game is far from competitive in the sense that there is absolutely no accomplishment in winning or losing. It is more of a marketing campaign than an actual competitive campaign.
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    The cheaters are out of control. The game is pretty boring. Every battle not at The Crown ends up being the more populated faction spawn room camping the less populated faction. There is little to no metagame. There is no reason to really play this game for more than a week or two. I like to call this a FTP throwaway game. Try it, toss it, go onto the next FTP game.
  15. Jun 6, 2013
    I'm not a big FPS player, but Planetside has me hooked. A tremendously fun game that involves thousands of people battling for control of (at this time) 3 continents. All kinds of classes and 3 distinct factions. Absolutely awesome.
  16. Nov 25, 2012
    Not the best game, but definitely the most fun game. Actually I take that back, it's the best game.

Where is the 9.5 rating? I'll take away .5 for somewhat limited meta-game and vehicle options at release; however this is coming as the devs stated.

Massive battles.. nothing like it. All PC gamers need to give their time/money to this fantastic game.
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    I can give everyone the straight dope here in a few in a brief summary. I played continuously for a couple weeks or so and got up to about lvl 20 so I know the game mechanics well. I was absolutely blown away with P2 initially. It was almost everything I ever wanted in an FPS and seemed to fulfill all the promise of PC gaming. It ran fine(mostly), looked great and had all the largeI can give everyone the straight dope here in a few in a brief summary. I played continuously for a couple weeks or so and got up to about lvl 20 so I know the game mechanics well. I was absolutely blown away with P2 initially. It was almost everything I ever wanted in an FPS and seemed to fulfill all the promise of PC gaming. It ran fine(mostly), looked great and had all the large scale conflict and tactics a hardcore ,high-skill ceiling, pc game should. I will tell you what killed it. I knew these two things would eventually be a problem from the outset and they were. Number one: The conflict is meaningless as there is NOTHING at stake for gaining/losing your territory. Sure the fight is fun but for how long when there's absolutely no payoff. A war of this scale without any reward in the offing makes no sense and kills any long term enjoyment. Problem 2: P2 caters to the newer gen Ritalin children who can't comprehend the value of earning a kill in-game and so anybody can get the drop on you at anytime and 1 automatic burst later your dead. You'll spend most of your time in this game dying and trying to get back into the fight. The whole point of the game feels like it revolves around dying. It's absolutely horrendous and ridiculous. By having two hit-points you eliminate 75% of any skill or tactics the conflicts here have. If you had time in a firefight to utilize terrain and tactics the conflicts would be fierce and meaningful as they are in other games that allow for some damage. Instead you just zerg around the map dying and spawning until you outzerg the zergers. Even the heavy's vaporize under minimal fire. I just don't get it. Twice the hitpoints, and it soon becomes apparent who is the more skillful opponent and who deserves to control the battlefield. Why devs don't get this is beyond me and I don't feel like returning to this game even though they'll probably address my first issue. This fantastic game is utterly ruined because you can't sustain any damage. Just like all the other mainstream shooters Ritalin kids thrive on. I don't know who to blame so I jokingly pick on the Ritalin kids. Ridiculous, I'm done. Expand
  18. May 28, 2014
    I have had a love/hate relationship with this game. At the best times, there are no kill-farms and it requires skill. At the worst times, there are tanks and planes shooting at spawn doors and level 100 people going on massive killing sprees, or max units being continously healed. It was fun sometimes, but it will frustrate you when the tank or plane you have waited so long for blows up 5I have had a love/hate relationship with this game. At the best times, there are no kill-farms and it requires skill. At the worst times, there are tanks and planes shooting at spawn doors and level 100 people going on massive killing sprees, or max units being continously healed. It was fun sometimes, but it will frustrate you when the tank or plane you have waited so long for blows up 5 seconds after getting it. The community is overall poor. After many hours, I finally deleted my character. Goodbye, Planetside 2. Expand
  19. May 29, 2014
    There is a buy message on every screen where they want you to spend your money, there are guns for sale, voice packs for sale, camos for sale, decals for sale and all kinds of other useless crap for sale. There is also a membership for sale and this membership gives you discounts on items so that you can buy even more! Avoid this or chargeback everything you've spend on this game and buy aThere is a buy message on every screen where they want you to spend your money, there are guns for sale, voice packs for sale, camos for sale, decals for sale and all kinds of other useless crap for sale. There is also a membership for sale and this membership gives you discounts on items so that you can buy even more! Avoid this or chargeback everything you've spend on this game and buy a new game with the money. Expand
  20. Dec 21, 2012
    its fun if you pay for better things but if you want to play a balanced F2P this is not your game its gameplay is unbalanced, graphics are ok, this game is boring and unbalanced, this game had a chance for it to be good but its not, most f2p's arnt anyway, wait till survarium or warface
  21. Feb 17, 2013
    If you have a good gaming PC that can handle the rendering of hundreds of players and like shooters like Battlefield 3 you owe yourself to play this game. I am completely 100% addicted to it and thing this game is a one of a kind experience.
  22. Nov 21, 2012
    I am not quite sure what everyone is talking about with in game bugs as I have not experienced any game breaking ones over the course of my play time thus far, at least nothing worth giving this game a 0.... The only inexcusable bug would be the total lack of optimization for AMD based processors... I am lucky enough to have had a Intel/Nvidia based system so it runs beautifully for me. II am not quite sure what everyone is talking about with in game bugs as I have not experienced any game breaking ones over the course of my play time thus far, at least nothing worth giving this game a 0.... The only inexcusable bug would be the total lack of optimization for AMD based processors... I am lucky enough to have had a Intel/Nvidia based system so it runs beautifully for me. I did not play Planetside 1 so I have nothing to base this game on but as it stands I have never played a FPS MMO that is this engaging. I can almost RP in this game, patrolling, guarding, attacking, infiltrating, outposts and small bases on my own. And the sheer volume of players in the large skirmishes on the map is mind boggling. If you have never played the first one and have an Intel Based System give it a shot! Its like no other FPS you have played.. If you are familiar with the first Planetside game you might be a tad disappointed in this one. And since it is free what is there to lose? Bandwidth? Try it out either way your not losing anything.... AMD users wait for a patch. Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2012
    In a genre that doesn't see an awful lot of games (good ones at that) Planetside 2 sure is a fresh breath of air for me. The choice to go Free 2 Play certainly doesn't hurt the playercount on the large continental maps that SOE have coughed up.

Visually the game has the potential to be great - On par with many modern day shooter if applied a few tweaks to unlock the "Ultra Settings".

The gameplay (the most important aspect of course) is great. Once you join an Outfit (clan) in the game and start playing in groups, you'll really see where PS2 shines. Planning coordinated strikes using a large selection of vehicles and capture (back) bases that are critical to your advance on the enemy.

There is still plenty of room for improvement - continents that aren't "square" shaped being one of my bigger gripes (and the complete lack of water on the playable battlefield), bugs in the marketplace module of the game and various launch day bugs that will hopefully be squashed soon enough.

Final Verdict: 9

Because the game is rather unique in its presentation, it has a dedicated dev team backing it and it shows great potential if nurtured - this may well become the single largest MMOFPS on the market in its lifespan.
  24. Nov 21, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a very successful fusion of the FPS shooter with MMO genres. Including very solid first person shooter game play, with customization through unlockable weapons and perks comparable to talents and equipment from your standard mmo. Its a "Free to Play game" and all the weapon choices can be unlocked with time or money. The only things you cant unlock with "cert points" (thePlanetside 2 is a very successful fusion of the FPS shooter with MMO genres. Including very solid first person shooter game play, with customization through unlockable weapons and perks comparable to talents and equipment from your standard mmo. Its a "Free to Play game" and all the weapon choices can be unlocked with time or money. The only things you cant unlock with "cert points" (the game's version of currency used to unlock perks and weapons) are cosmetic items and experience boosts. So i definitely recommend everyone give it a try because nothing can compare with fighting with hundreds of other players to take over a small outpost being defended by hundreds of other players Expand
  25. Dec 8, 2012
    what's wrong with the critics?? this game is painfully dull and pointless. fps on a mmo scale? great idea except for the massive lagg which kills the whole zergfest. even being free this does not worth the bandwidth to download
  26. Nov 30, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 10 to counter balance all the scorers who have given it a 0 cause their machines suck. That being said in reality this game is a solid 8, it has its faults, and can be glitchy at times, but if you are an FPS fan you will get an experience in PS2 that no other game in this generation will be able to touch. It is also NOT pay to win, some the the upgrades in theI'm giving this game a 10 to counter balance all the scorers who have given it a 0 cause their machines suck. That being said in reality this game is a solid 8, it has its faults, and can be glitchy at times, but if you are an FPS fan you will get an experience in PS2 that no other game in this generation will be able to touch. It is also NOT pay to win, some the the upgrades in the planes may be a little OP or need a tune, but this isn't anywhere close to being pay to win, so Ignore those idiots as well. Plus how can you give a 0 to something that is FREAKING FREE! Expand
  27. Nov 29, 2012
    This is a great concept. poorly implemented. Pay to win feel but that's typical of F2P shooters. Biggest complaint is that battles are too large. Great idea in large scale battles, but cutting the maps into a 4th of their size would make combat more consistent. Instead you get a long period of firefights followed by monotonous base capturing without resistance because the other team is offThis is a great concept. poorly implemented. Pay to win feel but that's typical of F2P shooters. Biggest complaint is that battles are too large. Great idea in large scale battles, but cutting the maps into a 4th of their size would make combat more consistent. Instead you get a long period of firefights followed by monotonous base capturing without resistance because the other team is off doing something else. Capturing bases also feels way too long sometimes, my whole team stood at an enemy free base to capture it. Took 15mins of us standing around. The shooter mechanics are cool, but some of the classes feel strange. Only the heavy assault and medic feels right, all the others feel underpowered and the Max is way too beefy. Definitely worth a try, and I love how ambitious the developers were. Still, Blacklight and even Tribes:Ascend are better, albeit less original, F2P FPS games. Expand
  28. Viy
    Feb 19, 2013
    This game is free to play as a spectator, If you want to help your team or be anything other than cannon fodder then you have to spend money. I was looking for a game to play that I wouldn't mind paying some money for a couple extras, but, being defenseless and building my char around my credit card, terrible.
  29. Nov 27, 2012
    This is a very addictive game and one that is well thought out although the execution is rough. It is a bit rushed and there are some HUGE balance issues (objective data has been assembled showing a massive advantage to the VS over the TR - slightly - but especially over the NC being in the basement in terms of Infantry and vehicles - particularly in the time to kill ratings) but thisThis is a very addictive game and one that is well thought out although the execution is rough. It is a bit rushed and there are some HUGE balance issues (objective data has been assembled showing a massive advantage to the VS over the TR - slightly - but especially over the NC being in the basement in terms of Infantry and vehicles - particularly in the time to kill ratings) but this game is MUCH more about team work. If you try to Rambo this game and run and gun like any idiot in BF3 you will find you are killing your team mates, getting weapon locked and being hated by your side. In this game - friendly fire WILL kill you and no there are no servers where you can turn that off. The action is intense and the coordination required is at times mind blowing. The biggest issues in the game currently are technical followed by the need to better balance the factions. But this is an amazing game. You can be very effective with base equipment, but if you are like me and have a particular way you like to play, you will need to unlock a gun or two and some features for your vehicles. Realistically I would say that you could invest $25 and be set. The membership is only needed if you don't like standing in a queue. Expand
  30. Nov 29, 2012
    The game is phenomenal. Its restored my faith in MMOs. There's nothing quite like shooting at a rational target for a change over NPC mobs with deterministic AIs. Player driven content is the future.
  31. Dec 3, 2012
    This game is EPIC, massive battles, medium and small skirmishes in 3 different continents. If you liked any of the Battlefield saga games you will love this one. It takes some time to get used to the mechanics of the game but now there are hundreds of videos showing the basic features/gameplay.. The game gains a lot if you play it along with some friends, up to 12 players in 1 squad. YouThis game is EPIC, massive battles, medium and small skirmishes in 3 different continents. If you liked any of the Battlefield saga games you will love this one. It takes some time to get used to the mechanics of the game but now there are hundreds of videos showing the basic features/gameplay.. The game gains a lot if you play it along with some friends, up to 12 players in 1 squad. You can join 4 squads to create a platoon so there's enough room for everyone. The unlock system it's a little bit slow, so it's important which upgrades/unlocks you pick, decide carefully. The game requires a good connection and a decent pc. Probably one of the best shooters of the year. Expand
  32. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is amazing, the environment, the vehicles, the battle, just everything is great. I am not going to say that the game is perfect, but it is pretty friggin' close. You do have to have a semi decent machine to run it at a decent frame rate, but you do not need the newest tech out there. Of course there are still some bugs, but one can easily overlook them when in the heat of aThis game is amazing, the environment, the vehicles, the battle, just everything is great. I am not going to say that the game is perfect, but it is pretty friggin' close. You do have to have a semi decent machine to run it at a decent frame rate, but you do not need the newest tech out there. Of course there are still some bugs, but one can easily overlook them when in the heat of a massive, and i do mean truly massive, battle. I love this game, since it is free to play, I would say at least give it a shot. Expand
  33. Feb 4, 2013
    Don't be fooled by the people that ragequit from this game because they only played 10 minutes. I will admit this game has bugs, and in your first few hours you will be a little overwhelmed. But as long as you bring a friend with you that already knows the game, then you will be fine. In the last update bugs sprouted like crazy, but within a day, SOE (the creators) Fixed most of them, andDon't be fooled by the people that ragequit from this game because they only played 10 minutes. I will admit this game has bugs, and in your first few hours you will be a little overwhelmed. But as long as you bring a friend with you that already knows the game, then you will be fine. In the last update bugs sprouted like crazy, but within a day, SOE (the creators) Fixed most of them, and made the game normal once again. There are a huge amount of players in every server, so most of the time, you may be fighting a losing battle, if you are, simply retreat, or go to another continent until it cools down. Most of the bad reviews here are from a few weeks to a month after the game was released, and most, if not all of the bugs they are speaking of have all been patched. The graphics are really good for a MMOFPS F2P game, and can be turned down if needed. Teamwork is a must in this game, so the first thing you NEED to do is join a squad, or outfit. The game is greatly more fun when your playing with other people, and most people don't understand that. Next up is that the developers have now implemented their new "roadmap" system, which gives players the chance to say what, and how, they want certain features added, if at all. i have already seen three or four ideas not used in the newest update, due to players not wanting it in the game. This "roadmap" is MUCH more than i have seen any F2P game developers use to gauge a player wanting certain things. Most developers will just add it, and say "Meh, they will have to like it". Next on the list is that this game IS NOT "Pay 2 Win" Every gun is used in a specific way, and, while some are better than others, there is no "Super gun" that kills everyone and is unbeatable. each and every gun has it's strengths and weaknesses, like the gun i currently use has a small mag, for a LMG (50 bullets, instead of the usual 100), as well as lower power, but a higher fire rate than most LMG's used by the Heavy Gunner. At this point in the game, there isn't much Metagame, but the developers are planning on an achievement system, as well as a system that allows you to capture whole continents until one of the opposing teams has to FORCE their way back into a warpgate, making the conquerors feel accomplished that they have taken all the land in the area and continue to hold it. Some people say Max's (a Mech like suit) and Main battle Tanks are Too Overpowered. But As long as you know how to deal with them, you are fine. Tanks may be OP, but If you get hit with an HE shell in a battle in real life, you're going to get blown to pieces. Now, lets touch on the factions. There are three, The Vanu Sovereignty, The New Conglomerate, and The Terran Republic. Each one with their own strengths and weaknesses. Borrowed from a guide on steam about this*** The Vanu Sovereignty favors futuristic directed energy weapons. These weapons reload quite swiftly and generally don't require much deflection shooting ("leading the target"), but don't quite pack the punch of the New Conglomerate or have the numbers of the Terran Republic." "The Terran Republic favors standard bullet weapons that pack little damage per shot, but have high capacity cartridges, high fire rates, and high reload times." "The New Conglomerate believes in brute force. With a strong focus on massive, deliberate strength, the New Conglomerate can easily outgun the other factions, but only if they can make their shots count." Showing each faction has it's own strengths and weaknesses. This game is about as realistic as i have EVER seen a full-scale battle on another world, and i will continue to support it, until it dies out, or we Get Planetside 3. I give this game a ten, even if it has bugs and annoying people, because it is a great all around game, and the developers are at the very least TRYING to always game it better. As a final little thing, if you get bored, go try playing another faction on a different server, it will bring the game back, at the very least a little bit. ***http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113201458#2765 Expand
  34. Dec 30, 2013
    Game is riddled with bugs and balance issues, the community is infested with trolls and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s and the amount of time you have to sink in till you have gear to compete with the rest of the players in the game is huge.
    The game is more about being fair then accuracy. Small arms fire can destroy a tank in a few seconds and aircraft in even less time. They have these wonderfully high end weapons that you can purchase with real money and when you get them into the game they unmodifiable compared to their counterparts as to be obsolete immediately. To keep things real fair anything you spent hard cash and not game certs on has little to no ability to hit most targets unless they are conveniently standing still. An assault rifle has better effective range and does more damage then a sniper rifle of the same type with a a better scope. The effective rang of most of your weapons is close range or beyond what the games render distance will allow you to see, and there fore lock onto and hit. This does not stop players who use (supposedly illegal and banned) add ons to hit you beyond ranges you can effectively return the favor. There is no combat and tactics just the almighty zerg push. One side gets enough players together and rolls over anything in their way.
    Until they redesign the unlock progress for weapons, fix a lot of major bugs that cause crashes or other frustrating issues and finally fix the balance problems between the 3 empires. than it's worth trying out till than ignore the game, don't let it suck you in so you don't end up being surrounded by and trolls all day. For what is supposed to be a future based game many of the game toys and tools are amazingly primitive and difficult to use

I only play the game because there's nothing else to play, every other Multilayer game I ahve tried multiple times is somehow even worse and even more boring than Planet side 2, i guess that's the only good thing i have to say about PS2, it's at least not as bad as Battlefield,Call Of Duty or the new horrible Team Fortress 2 aka Hat Fortress 2 called nowadays.
  35. Apr 22, 2013
    The TTK or "time to kill" is absurdly low; 0.49 for most guns. That's crazy for a laggy game like Planetside 2. If you don't discover the person first then you'll be dead. There isn't any time to react. This is what brings Planetside 2 down. Not to mention the fact that using the Auto Join Squad feature puts you in squads that clans use who then proceed to kick you from said squad.The TTK or "time to kill" is absurdly low; 0.49 for most guns. That's crazy for a laggy game like Planetside 2. If you don't discover the person first then you'll be dead. There isn't any time to react. This is what brings Planetside 2 down. Not to mention the fact that using the Auto Join Squad feature puts you in squads that clans use who then proceed to kick you from said squad. Crappy UI mechanics also bring Planetside 2 down. Expand
  36. Mar 3, 2013
    If you like being frustrated and annoyed, play this game. If your sadomasochistic, spend money on this game. What I find most frustrating is the huge potential of this game, SOE just doesn't have what it takes to make this game into what it could have been, it's a shame really. I have been playing and waiting for it to deliver since the game first came out, but I have given up on PS2 and SOE.
  37. Nov 28, 2012
    It's fun. But be warned: you need a RIG to play this. On low settings with a good PC you'll still be at 20-30 fps. If your PC is outdated don't bother. The minimum requirements for this are not even close. ...As far as the game, It's just TDM. There's nothing really epic about it. --It'll feel epic at first. Give it a week though.
  38. Feb 19, 2013
    Instructions: none. Tutorial: none. Upgrades after 4 hours of gameplay unnoticeable. Constant prompting to buy cert points via cash shop: annoying. Hacks: prominent. Maps poorly designed: windows everywhere in buildings. Support classes: easy targets. Spawn in middle of rocket blast: instantly dead. So many glaring issues: will not pay to play.
  39. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is a waste of time if you don't have a $2000 system. Please don't support this game at all, don't play it. Although yes it is fun at times. It never stops lagging unless you have a newer NiVidia graphics card or a high end processor.
  40. Jan 20, 2013
    Frustrating game too big maps and too less players. You can run 2h and you don't see any enemies.
    Graphic is nice but not on high-level. Is there few bugs. Planet Side 2 is next game pay for win not play for free.
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    This is nothing more than a laggy spawn camp. Really not worth the time to bother downloading it. Go play just about any other shooter for a better experience.
  42. Nov 27, 2012
    While any attempt at a massively multiplayer FPS is an ambitious one, Planetside 2 does a fair job of executing. By far the worst part of the game is the community. Whiny, self-appointed video game "experts" with an unfounded sense of individual entitlement love to cry about balance issues or that it's "pay to win". These players completely miss the point of the game. I guess this is to beWhile any attempt at a massively multiplayer FPS is an ambitious one, Planetside 2 does a fair job of executing. By far the worst part of the game is the community. Whiny, self-appointed video game "experts" with an unfounded sense of individual entitlement love to cry about balance issues or that it's "pay to win". These players completely miss the point of the game. I guess this is to be expected in a F2P model though. The best part of the game, for me at least, is the massive power that can be acquired through organizing or becoming a part of an outfit, platoon or squad. There is no other game that can make you feel quite as powerful (or powerless). For example, there's nothing like watching fully loaded, 12-person Galaxy dropships headed right towards the outpost you're trying to defend. This is one of those "holy sh*t" moments when you can FEEL the inevitability of the situation ahead of you. It's quite amazing to be able to wield that kind of power to change the course of a large-scale battle. The challenge is getting organized. "Skills" in this game are much less focused on the individual, as in most other FPS games. Nor is there much character skill variation, even among the higher ranked players. A rank 1 player can take out a rank 20 player fairly easily. The real skill involved here is effective communication, organization and strategy. You'll have lots of communication tools at your disposal, and in this respect PS2 is a successful (and fun) game. Expand
  43. Jan 14, 2013
    This game is prime example of pay-to-win, do not expect it to be a overwhelming gaming experience because that it certainly isn't. Getting experience in PlanetSide 2 is very slow and it can take so long to even buy anything useful from in game shops and what comes to character classes the main problem is that you have to swap them all the time in the game. So you can't really know for sureThis game is prime example of pay-to-win, do not expect it to be a overwhelming gaming experience because that it certainly isn't. Getting experience in PlanetSide 2 is very slow and it can take so long to even buy anything useful from in game shops and what comes to character classes the main problem is that you have to swap them all the time in the game. So you can't really know for sure which class you should be upgrading or getting better items to. Expand
  44. Nov 27, 2012
    I am loving the game so far, it is the only game of it's kind out there for FPS's. The game shines at large combined combat with you Oufit and faction. The down side I think it needed a few more map for launch, example home continents and a bases that link continents from your home one like the first game. I now this in coming but I have to take some off for the early launch.
  45. Jun 5, 2013
    This is a fairly unique game on the market. It attempts to cater to two markets one of the Battlefield variety, and one of the open-world faction-based PVP crowd (think DAoC or Warhammer Online's Realm vs. Realm mode). While the learning curve is above average for a multiplayer first-person shooter, it can be quickly grasped by veterans of open-world PVP MMOs. At the same time, to fightThis is a fairly unique game on the market. It attempts to cater to two markets one of the Battlefield variety, and one of the open-world faction-based PVP crowd (think DAoC or Warhammer Online's Realm vs. Realm mode). While the learning curve is above average for a multiplayer first-person shooter, it can be quickly grasped by veterans of open-world PVP MMOs. At the same time, to fight effectively, a reasonable degree of personal aiming/reflex abilities are required as well. This is the game for you if you enjoy both styles of play in a single game.

Due to the large scale of the game, the balance philosophy of this game relies on a rock-paper-scissors dichotomy rather than having everything balanced evenly. If you are in it for yourself, this is not the game for you. Group play, on the other hand, is rewarded highly for coordinated squads and platoons, as is the case for any multiplayer title that emphasize teamwork (such as the ArmA series). At its best, PlanetSide 2 truly delivers in its massive battles.

The only true downsides of the game are that (a) balance is always in a state of flux, and (b) it is not a particularly polished game, even after 6 months of release. In terms of balance, PS2 is in its own, unique place and while it is not perfect, the devs are constantly at work, and they communicate with their fanbase quite frequently. In terms of polish, it is as any other MMO would be; there are many rough edges, and there are many little quality of life issues that, while not game-breaking, are indeed problems that if solved, could greatly improve the game as a whole. Again, the devs are constantly at work in this aspect of the game as well.

Overall, if you don't mind the rough edges and is willing to experience something that is unique only to PlanetSide 2's sheer scale, definitely give it a go. You may surprise yourself (in a very good way).
  46. Jan 10, 2014
    Funny but beyond of a masterpiece.
    It's not pay per win but you must play for a few months just to get 1 decent weapon with attachments for a class and basic gear to not die in seconds with tanks and aircraft.
  47. Jul 7, 2014
    A horrible game with horrible lag, horrible bugs, horrible optimization, horrible balance and horrible developers & producers & billing staff. Planetside 2 manages to disappoint me in ways I have not yet thought possible be it the turd balancement whereas you need the power equal to a tactical nuclear warhead to kill a run-of-the-mill ground transport truck or how there's still insanelyA horrible game with horrible lag, horrible bugs, horrible optimization, horrible balance and horrible developers & producers & billing staff. Planetside 2 manages to disappoint me in ways I have not yet thought possible be it the turd balancement whereas you need the power equal to a tactical nuclear warhead to kill a run-of-the-mill ground transport truck or how there's still insanely high racial differences (Terran still adopting a zerg-rush tactic and winning majorly everywhere due to numbers & noob guns). Along with having an illegal billing department, showing no concern for individual countries consumer laws (Right of refund if shopped via Internet), SoE has also gone to the length of bribing the BBB to quickly close down any complaints related to in-game currency or other purchases while also reaching out and buying attention from some of the Internet's most hated individuals like Total Biscuit for some quick e-fame-4-cash.

Can this game be fun with a couple of friends when the servers don't lag and when you play for free? Absolutely. Should you give the game or It's developers & associated people any money? Hell no.
  48. Oct 9, 2014
    The learning curve is tough, and the periodic updates may make the game crash, but the improvements and eventual fixes that have evolved in this game are amazing. A highly engaged community keeps balance improvements and new content coming. If you haven't played since 2012, they've added tutorials, a full scale shooting range, objective and achievement improvements, a 4th continent, 3 newThe learning curve is tough, and the periodic updates may make the game crash, but the improvements and eventual fixes that have evolved in this game are amazing. A highly engaged community keeps balance improvements and new content coming. If you haven't played since 2012, they've added tutorials, a full scale shooting range, objective and achievement improvements, a 4th continent, 3 new vehicles, and countless weapons. Play it for the giant scale, the huge 200+ player battles, and the nearly endless strategies one can employ. Just try and resist the urge to buy camouflage from their store. Expand
  49. Mar 9, 2013
    My journey with this game started with frustration, I've installed game from Steam, wanted to fly, but joystick didn't work back then.. I came back few months later, and... everything worked great. I don't play a lot games, and I didn't play multi-player except for Starcraft 2 which was uber frustrating. But. after 80+ hours of play I can say that Planetside 2 is unique and very addictiveMy journey with this game started with frustration, I've installed game from Steam, wanted to fly, but joystick didn't work back then.. I came back few months later, and... everything worked great. I don't play a lot games, and I didn't play multi-player except for Starcraft 2 which was uber frustrating. But. after 80+ hours of play I can say that Planetside 2 is unique and very addictive With great number of classes, vehicles, tactics, and ways to develop your character gameplay is one of the best I've seen in my whole life. So, play, play, play and see you on the The Crown shouting "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" Expand
  50. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me start out by telling what Planetside 2 gets right. The maps are large and made to feel like what a war zone should be like, and the sheer fact that the game is actually an constant everlasting MMO-FPS like promised is something mind-boggling. That alone deserves praise from people all around, whether you like the game or not.

But about right there is where the good times stop,

But about right there is where the good times stop, very abruptly. You spawn in for the first anywhere: you don't get to choose. You could end up lucky and spawn at a deserted base, or you'll get completely screwed over and spawn in the middle of hell with enemy fire hitting you from all directions. Either way though, you're still practically a sitting duck because you'll immediately have to go through the controls to learn how to PLAY the game. I don't care who you are, a tutorial is ALWAYS a good idea for those that are new to the series and have no clue what the hell they're doing.

Another major problem is that it is as repetitive as every single modern shooter with very little to no change. The only change you may see is that you've been blown up by five tanks instead of five rocket launchers. Go to this base, shoot this guy, die because he's played more, go to that base, shoot that guy, die again, get in a "plane," crash because you weren't given a tutorial on how to fly, and then wait for another spawn, and so on, and so on until you get bored or until your computer mercifully crashes to save your sanity.

The third problem of the game is it's major lack of story. Yes, there are three factions, yes it's on another planet, but which planet the game's on nobody knows. Why the three factions are warring is a question only people majorly invested in learning the cannon know. Or who leads any of the factions is left to speculation as far as I'm aware. The game has less story than a game that doesn't look like it needs one (i.e. TF2).

But the major, overall problem with almost every SOE Free2play MMO is their incessant love for in-game currency or real-money in-game purchases for better weapons. In other words, the game is a pay-to-win system where the rich get to use fancy weapons and hi-tech gear that can kill any player just by looking, while the new player just sits back and repeatedly slams his head into a wall because it's more entertaining.

Overall, the game is a grand promise of grandeur and amazement marred by horrible design choices, a pay-to-win system, multiple glitches, hackers, and spawn campers, and NO story at all. As far as a F2P game goes, I would recommend anything from Team Fortress 2 to Warframe. Yet, as it is a F2P game, you won't lose any money off of playing, so... test it...? Maybe you'll like it, but I sure as hell wouldn't even begin to call this game good, let alone call it an MMO of the year.
  51. Jun 14, 2014
    Planetside 2 is an achievement. The engine used is nothing but amazing since it can draw tons of stuff over a huge map, with so much detail and still handle tons of players. You might have experienced these type of battles over in Battlefield but Planetside 2 are on a much larger scale and I'm very excited to see future projects like H1Z1 using the same engine.

The gameplay is also

The gameplay is also good, the weapons are responsive, the controls are what you can except from a shooter and everything feels quite balanced. There are a lot of different weapons with tons of add-ons and a ton of camouflage to make it more personal but it all comes at a cost.

Planetside 2 is a grind, and this might be the only problem I have with the game but its a big one. Unless you're willing to pay real money to get a new gun, you gonna have to play an enormous amount or grind your way through with repetitive tasks.
    Paying real money wouldn't be such a deal since its a free game but the fact that they charge $7 for a submachine gun with zero add-ons is laughable. The gun might be race and class-specific too. And I would never consider buying a cool camo before I got the gear I want, and this makes everything feel so out of reach. Other games using this type of f2p like Blacklight:Retribution does this a lot better.

I think you should give Planetside 2 a try, all the features and buttons might be overwhelming at first so you might wanna check out an introduction on youtube before heading in. Just remember that in order to have the full experience, you gonna have to bring your wallet or all your free-time.
  52. Xel
    Mar 5, 2013
    This needs to be made clear to everyone up front, this game is not a solo COD style of FPS... if you want infantry based COD go play COD otherwise welcome to Planetside were massive ground and air vehicle battles take place that require team work and communication. This is a MMOFPS that like practically EVERY MMO out there will require to your grind your character's weapons and upgrades.This needs to be made clear to everyone up front, this game is not a solo COD style of FPS... if you want infantry based COD go play COD otherwise welcome to Planetside were massive ground and air vehicle battles take place that require team work and communication. This is a MMOFPS that like practically EVERY MMO out there will require to your grind your character's weapons and upgrades. If you don't want to do that don't play it. It is clearly not pay to win as the less informed seem to write since everyone cane unlock the exact same weapons. It is pay to not grind. Game updates and patches are being released on a weekly basis to fix issues and add content on a regular basis. This game is also played on a large scale with lots of vehicles, team play and coordination if you are not interested in those things you are going to have a bad time (like I said if you want solo COD style of play this game is not for you). Expand
  53. Mar 27, 2013
    Hands down, the best Online FPS around. All the negative user feedback can be attributed to the fact that, in the beginning, its a little hard to understand how things work, but watch this video "http://youtu.be/Tx_xeRFlNTA" (about the basics of navigating the world), and you'll be prepared to have a lot of fun. Great game, and the way Free-2-Play games are supposed to be made
  54. Mar 30, 2013
    Many people complain about this game's lack of fair balance or that it feels rushed to them. I'm sorry, but did you expect this to be a CoD game? And as for the learning curve, this is war for crying out loud, not a training camp! They do have tutorial videos linked in the game's launcher, and yes, the learning curve needs fixing, but then again, it's a bit better than going through yetMany people complain about this game's lack of fair balance or that it feels rushed to them. I'm sorry, but did you expect this to be a CoD game? And as for the learning curve, this is war for crying out loud, not a training camp! They do have tutorial videos linked in the game's launcher, and yes, the learning curve needs fixing, but then again, it's a bit better than going through yet another hand-holding, navi-esque tutorial isn't it? Planetside 2's 2 main blessings are it's adaptability and the teamwork the game encourages. Since it's not a box release, few can realistically expect that the game would be perfect right from the start. If a problem arises or a bug is discovered, it gets fixed in the next update. Teamwork is EVERYTHING in this game, you should never expect to succeed as a lone-wolf unless you play as an infiltrator and know when to fight and when to not. No one person can single-handedly change the tide of a battle or the war, you are always working with other players to accomplish a goal.

The game itself, isn't exactly pay-to-play, everything is available for purchase with in-game currency, and all of the things that can only be bought with real money are just for looks. Admittedly, you do need to pour a lot of certs into your empire's fighter to get it to it's full potential, but like I said, everything is free: you just have to save up the certs you've earned.

Pretty much the only things you can buy with money in the game that actually gives you any advantage are weapons; everything that gives you a basic edge over everything you encounter (better armor for example) can only be purchased by using the in-game currency.

and on the note of the cert grind, how would you like it if EVERYONE in the game had the best weapons and upgrades after playing for a short amount of time? it'd get bland fast: there would be nothing to look forward to getting.

And face it: in every game you start playing, there WILL be players that are better than you that have been playing longer than you and will pwn you at first

SOE has added a virtual-reality training area that allows you to try out EVERYTHING that you could possibly want, and since all of the weapons are unlocked while you are in the training area, you can just click on the "compare stats" box and have no more need for looking through wiki pages. If all else fails, you can give a gun or an upgrade to one of your vehicles a test run. In conclusion, Planetside 2 may have it's flaws (who/ what doesn't?), but it's sheer scale and readiness to fix any problems that it's players find more than make up for them
  55. Jun 5, 2013
    I've played this game for almost 200 hours now. It is extremely hard to get past the learning curve. It will take you hours, but it's worth it. The vehicles will be worthless to you in combat unless you shell out some money or spend a serious amount of time playing as infantry. There's no story to be found besides the blue and purple guys are stupid and have to die. You have to be aI've played this game for almost 200 hours now. It is extremely hard to get past the learning curve. It will take you hours, but it's worth it. The vehicles will be worthless to you in combat unless you shell out some money or spend a serious amount of time playing as infantry. There's no story to be found besides the blue and purple guys are stupid and have to die. You have to be a serious player (border-line addicted) to get any sort of progression. There are several balance issues.

All of that being said, it's insanely fun to get into a platoon and follow them around capturing bases and fighting in the large-scale battles. I can spend hours playing, and I do. If you want to engage in gigantic seamless battles as an infantry-man, a sniper, a supporting class (medic and engineer), a tank operator, a part of a gun-ship crew, or a fighter pilot, this is the game for you. Despite all of the negative aspects of the game, I 100% recommend it to everyone to check it out (it is free) and give it some time.
  56. Jun 5, 2013
    I initially gave this game a 7/10 due to the performance issues at launch, and the problems with the battle flow. For the first few months I barely played it and was very hesitant to spend money on it, but SOE have been very committed and they're currently on GU10, and they release smaller updates every second week. The new lattice system has really improved the battle flow on Indar, andI initially gave this game a 7/10 due to the performance issues at launch, and the problems with the battle flow. For the first few months I barely played it and was very hesitant to spend money on it, but SOE have been very committed and they're currently on GU10, and they release smaller updates every second week. The new lattice system has really improved the battle flow on Indar, and it'll soon be available on the other continents.

While there is still much work to be done (PS2 still needs a lot more optimization), I have spent over 400 hours in this game now and I can honestly say it's the game of the year for me. The massive combat is just so compelling, with literally battles hundreds of players large, on continents filled with thousands of people.
  57. Jun 5, 2013
    While Planetside 2 isn't as easy to pick up and play as call of duty or battlefield, it offers far more depth. Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS. Don't let that name fool you, you wont be going into instanced dungeons and facing off against a few AI driven bosses. Every soldier you see is a real, living player. Every base is designed for 640 v 640 not 64 v 64. The distances between those bases isWhile Planetside 2 isn't as easy to pick up and play as call of duty or battlefield, it offers far more depth. Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS. Don't let that name fool you, you wont be going into instanced dungeons and facing off against a few AI driven bosses. Every soldier you see is a real, living player. Every base is designed for 640 v 640 not 64 v 64. The distances between those bases is measured in miles, not feet. Planetside 2 is full of bugs and flaws, for example vehicle combat suffers because Anti-vehicle infantry don't render and neither do their projectiles. The weapons are all sidegrades, and SOE will not nickel and dime you. Every balance issue in this fantastic game is due solely to bugs. Don't expect to play this game at 60 fps.

In conclusion, Planetside 2 is a fantastic game with an unforgiving learning curve and performance issues. Despite these flaws, this game will offer you massive, social combat that you simply won't find anywhere else. You need to try this game.
  58. Jun 5, 2013
    The game starts out a little hectic, and you may be confused as to what exactly is going on, but I loved that part. Such a complex game takes months to fully learn, making boredom almost impossible. I have been playing Planetside 2 for about 5 months now and still can't stop playing daily. It is much more fun in groups, however there is always something to do on your own as well. If youThe game starts out a little hectic, and you may be confused as to what exactly is going on, but I loved that part. Such a complex game takes months to fully learn, making boredom almost impossible. I have been playing Planetside 2 for about 5 months now and still can't stop playing daily. It is much more fun in groups, however there is always something to do on your own as well. If you like shooters, or if you like strategy, or tanks, or planes, or 200 vs 200 battles, this game is worth checking out. And it's free. Expand
  59. Jun 6, 2013
    Rarely have i seen a game that is as unique as Planetside 2 is. Think Battlefield 2, 64 times bigger, with 3 Factions, and updated Visuals.

That's pretty much what Planetside 2 is. Want a quick fight? Hit the Quick Action button, and you land RIGHT INTO the action. Strategic advancing with an Outfit or a Squad? Not a Problem either. It's FREE (you CAN pay for stuff, but you can

That's pretty much what Planetside 2 is.

Strategic advancing with an Outfit or a Squad? Not a Problem either.

It's FREE (you CAN pay for stuff, but you can get it by playing the game as well, so it's really fair).

+ They listen to the players.
  60. Jun 6, 2013
    I've been playing the game on and off again since it came out... and it keeps getting better with age. If you tried it out when it first came out, you owe it to yourself to log back in, find a group to play with, and get into the fight!

I am continually surprised at how good this game is, and find it even harder to believe that this game truly is a Free to Play game. While there are benefits to subscribe, and there are some great time-saving offers via in-game purchases, there's honestly nothing you have to buy in this game to 'win' this game really is free-to-play, and certainly not pay-to-win.
  61. Jun 11, 2013
    I tend to play most of my PC games at least 60+ hours or more. They're investments, since I spend so much time in them. Some games keep me coming back, like Team Fortress 2 (718 hrs.), Skyrim (298 hrs.), Civ4 (164 hrs.), Neverwinter Nights 2 (243 hrs.). Planetside 2 is going to blow them all away. I've got 617 hrs. in it so far, and the future looks better than ever.

Get in and find a

Get in and find a tour guide (like in an Outfit), start out as a medic and learn how to work with your squad. All you need is your rifle and your medic tool! PS2 is slow to learn, but awesome to master.
  62. Jun 13, 2013
    Planetside 2 can be summed up in two words: mediocre mess.

Planetside 2 can be summed up in two words: mediocre mess.

I've played this game since release using only stock weapons and not spending any money on the game. While the start weapons are fine, the deck is stacked against you if you only use these weapons and not purchase or farm 1000 certs for "sidegrade" weapons. Which most, you will see for yourself if you trial weapons in game, are flat out better than the starting weapons. While not technically pay-to-win, you certainly are paying to win until your opponent has a comparable weapon.

First time players will be overwhelmed by the massive battles which, to be fair, can be really entertaining. But you will also be overwhelmed by how much you'll be staring at the respawn timer. Starting with nothing, certification wise, puts you at a severe disadvantage from veteran players who have many vehicle, suit, and weapon upgrades that will test even the most patient player. Using vehicles comes with a stupid high learning curve for flying and the worst ground vehicle physics of any game I've played; every ground surface acts like ice and a piece of debris will destroy a full health tank.

Players rave how pretty the game is and how great the reload animations are, but I don't care about that crap and focus on gameplay. The game has its moments, but they are few and far between the frustrations of bugs and how shallow the game is. Strategy is used as a selling point of the game, but the only real strategy is zerging. The base designs are terrible, and encourage this type of playstyle to conquer bases. Making the large battles stale and flat-out boring as you just sit and wait for the base to turn over; which take 5 to 10 minutes of just standing around waiting for capture experience.

The best way to play this game is with friends or in a large outfit to get the handle of things. There is a lot to learn and SOE added tutorials seven months late to help out new players. You'll certainly have more fun than playing solo and maybe the game won't get so boring so quickly. Best way to get certs? Get the cheese weapons as soon as possible. This game caters to and encourages cheese play to farm certs the fastest. Farming or buying a shotgun, SMG or other cheese weapons like the AV turret will bring in a stupid amount of cert points and make you into a Planetside 2 all-star.

Planetside 2 could of, no, should of been a great game. But it's just a short-sighted, cash grab, cert farm that is hemorrhaging players even though it's a free game. They've merged like 6 or 7 servers now, and I would be surprised if there wasn't at least 3 more by years end.
  63. Oct 30, 2014
    I am not a fan of MMOs or FPSs, but this combines the two to create something awesome, although I would appreciate it if I didn't have to keep entering my username and password. Just do a login through Steam.
  64. Apr 9, 2014
    easily one of my all time favorite games. no other game keeps me coming back like planet side 2. constant updates with new guns and features, and after the optimization update the game runs really well for me. i would agree that guns are a bit pricey, but after i got a membership that includes a 50% boost, certs (in game currency) were no longer a issue for me. and i was free to upgradeeasily one of my all time favorite games. no other game keeps me coming back like planet side 2. constant updates with new guns and features, and after the optimization update the game runs really well for me. i would agree that guns are a bit pricey, but after i got a membership that includes a 50% boost, certs (in game currency) were no longer a issue for me. and i was free to upgrade and buy as many new guns and abilities as i wanted. i will say that a big factor of enjoyment in this game for me is the community. devs listen to player feedback, and players are nice and helpful in game and in the forums. i would suggest checking out the planetside subredit and the official forums to see more about the game. the game does have a learning curve i will admit, i would suggest checking out some you tubers if you want to see game play or want to understand how to play the game. the you tubers in no order are: stl youngblood, wrel, zoran the bear, drathamus gaming. my closing statement is this, it is a free game you will lose nothing by downloading it, trying it, not enjoying it, and deleting it. but if you give the game a chance you may find a beautiful game full of player progression and endless hours of fun, supported by a helpful and positive community. at least that is what i found. go to www.planetside 2.com or steam and download the game, who knows what adventures will await :) Expand
  65. Sep 27, 2014
    Played this game for like 3 weeks, so I dont consider a hardcore player. On the other hand, I played a lot of games (F2P and normal). This game isnt bad, but there are some drastic flaws, that take it down. First of all, there is the cost of everything. You can modify ANYTHING but it cost an arm and a leg. You can either buy it by money, which is quite expensive in comparison with otherPlayed this game for like 3 weeks, so I dont consider a hardcore player. On the other hand, I played a lot of games (F2P and normal). This game isnt bad, but there are some drastic flaws, that take it down. First of all, there is the cost of everything. You can modify ANYTHING but it cost an arm and a leg. You can either buy it by money, which is quite expensive in comparison with other shooters, or you can play and collect in-game points and buy it for them. This approach takes loooong time. You usually get like 2 points for 3 kills, capturing a base gives you about 3-7 and some better gun costs 1000 points without any scopes, forward grips and so on. Plus you have tons of personal skills and equipments that cost a lot, you have vehicles that can be modified and cost a lot, some leadership skills that cost a lot... so I guess in like 10 years of playing, you can have maxed character, if you dont sleep and eat.
    One of the most frustrating aspect of the game are vehicles. Take an average mobile spawn point (sunderer). Its like a slightly armored trailer. You can shoot it like 6 times with AT missile, throw AT grenades at it, drop C4 at it, and it will still be ok. The reality is somewhere else, I assure you that if you hit some vehicle like this with an anti tank missile, it will blow it to dust. The same goes for tanks, you simply cannot smash tanks, if the driver is careful, he will simply back off behind the nearest hill, repair, and comes back. The amount of missiles that tank takes is completely unrealistic.
    Aircraft is the same problem, there are no real anti aircraft weapons, only max suits (that cost a lot), some vehicle modifications (that cost also a lot) and missile launchers (that are usually ineffective or cost a lot). If the pilot is good, he can overwhelm the base, killing people right when they peek a nose from a spawnpoint.
    Due to its points distribution, the game doesnt force you to focus on objectives, the simple killing is way more advantageous and brings more points. That is a complete failure of game mechanics, usually if you defend a base, you get far less points, then if you just roam the terrain and kill random people.
    Some classes and races are drastically overpowered, for example infiltrator with stalker cloak and powerful gun (usually cant be found and almost always win 1-on-1), engineer and vehicle combo (especially harrasser - gets thrashed a little, rides off, repairs, comes back, with its speed its nearly unhitable), Vanu at night (invisible) and so on.
    Game design is quite strange, some continents have few places that are memorable (like gigantic crater on Indar), other are totally generic and repetitive.
    Movement is frustrating, you will find yourself unable to climb 45°hill often, meaning you have to run around and look for a path. Plus the map is often useless, you find yourself running around looking for stairs to get to the point and so on.
    The last thing I found quite unpleasant was the simple "there is more of us" mechanic – usually the side with more people win, no matter what. The only way out of this is to focus on destroying mobile spawnpoints, but as I mention, they can take unbelievable amount of beating and often get repaired quicker than you can load the rockets into AT gun.
    All and all, this game would need drastic changes to make it at least good game, now its bellow average and is probably meant only for people with lots of money or hardcore players that want to spend the next few years wasting their time maxing their characters and vehicles.
  66. Oct 6, 2014
    I first have to confess, Planetside 2 is the first FPS I have ever tried. I rated it an 7 due to overall playabliity and enjoyment. I have a couple of issues with it performance wise/development wise. But other than that it's pretty solid. Yes there are several older critiques of this game that are negative, but by and large a lot of the quote game breaking mechanics have beenI first have to confess, Planetside 2 is the first FPS I have ever tried. I rated it an 7 due to overall playabliity and enjoyment. I have a couple of issues with it performance wise/development wise. But other than that it's pretty solid. Yes there are several older critiques of this game that are negative, but by and large a lot of the quote game breaking mechanics have been fixed/removed or optimised over all. For me, the average player who is older and has less twitch skill, I gotta say it's a blast to run.

One improvement off the bat is the player tutorial in the beginning. It will allow beginning players to get a feel for the controls and basic level mechanics. This didn't exist untill recently so the dev's did right on this. Without it, the learning curve is pretty ugly. If you are new to this game, take the tutorial, it's worth your time and effort. There are several player made tutorials out there to help you as well.

The vast scenery: You feel you are on a real world. Terrain does matter. The hitch though is that anything beyond a 45 deg angle, you will waste valuable time bunny hopping up. Even then, it isn't gauranteed. Still, being able to shoot from diffferent angles and diffferent approaches is pretty epic in my book. Getting the drop on some one from a high angle or from cover is fantastic.

Weapon mechanics: I like the challenge of dealing with bullet drop and cone of fire accuracy issues. While snipers are still a pain in the a$$, gun fights aren't insta death at range. Keep moving, don't sit in one spot for too long and you have a decent chance of getting into a solid fight. Now, I will say that some of the factions are out of balance power wise, but if you are with an outfit that has solid tactics, you can still crush your enemy.

Vehicles: Pilot everything from ground to air (wish they had water but that ain't coming, deal with it). This puts 3 dimensions into the combat field. It makes you get really aware of your surroundings if you want to live past 3 minutes. The variety is pretty solid: tanks, scout vehicles, personnel carriers, fighter aircraft and troop transports. You can customize them as you need for specific effects.

Scope of battles: Might be a squad skirmish...could be a huge battle of 100+ per side. Taking and defending objectives give specific advantages to the winners, locking down a continent even more. Tactics both at the personal and stratigic level count. No, you can't 1 man rambo it, you need teamwork. But bounding and suppression fire help when people coordinate and work together. The epic scenery from desert, to frozen to forest to jungle is just massive.

Gear: you unlock modifications and upgrades through spending cert points. It can be a grind for the beginner, but get with some vets they will share with you strategies for getting more certs faster. It isn't nearly as harsh as it was during opening phases. Gear isn't game breaking though it does give slight edges which can save your butt in really tough fights. Even still, as a newbie player I've knocked down people with maxed gear through use of movement and tactics. This is something I love. Now you can buy swag gear from thier depot. Mostly it's just cosmetic stuff for fun. There are weapons that you can buy, but none that convince me of pay to win. You can buy skill certs with station cash if you want but to me that's kind of wasting money. It isn't hard to knock out 50-150 certs per hour with proper technique (even for new players).

I'll tell you now, this isn't a complete free to play. Yes, you can do so, but it's far better if you go premium all access if you are a SOE fan. If you aren't, the good part of the portion that is free to play will allow you more than enough exposure to the game to decide if you want to commit to paying. It doesn't break your gaming fun either, you just earn XP and certs at a slower rate. All continents are still playable, nothing is locked to you.

Things I wish they would fix: In game comms is one of thier selling points. It sucks. It doesn't always work correctly and prone to timing out completely in large fights. I recommend TS3 or vent or something. Patch days really suck, it usually takes about 72 hours for them to hotfix all the crap they broke trying to fix other issues or intrduce new stuff. New real content beyond weapons or vehicles is pretty scarce. Respawn/redeploy mechanics are dicey at times. You will need a pretty solid rig to play this full blast. I own an X51 Alienware that I purchased at the beginning of this year and can run it with graphics about 80% of max and maintain a 30-40fps during really populated fights. Overall, very enjoyable with just a few hitches that need smoothing out.
  67. Dec 15, 2014
    If you're good at Battlefield there's no reason you cannot be good at this, the gunplay is almost the same in both. The problem most people have is in finding the meta, finding a role for themselves in the game, while trying to learn wtf is going on. The meta is simple, find a place where you're outnumbered, and see how well you can do. There's no other game which allows you to tailorIf you're good at Battlefield there's no reason you cannot be good at this, the gunplay is almost the same in both. The problem most people have is in finding the meta, finding a role for themselves in the game, while trying to learn wtf is going on. The meta is simple, find a place where you're outnumbered, and see how well you can do. There's no other game which allows you to tailor the difficulty by increasing the odds you're coming up against, and it only gets better when you add a squad of friends to the mix. Expand
  68. Zoc
    Jan 21, 2015
    Simply amazing and I'm afraid far too addictive. Ok so I have been gaming 20yrs or so since a young age starting with ZX Sinclair and Streets of Rage etc. I have lost countless, hours, days, months into a huge variety of games ranging from Metal Gear's, Gran Tourismo's, Guild Wars 1&2, Aion, Assassins Creed's, Supreme Commander, Dawn Of War series and numerous more. This game is by quite aSimply amazing and I'm afraid far too addictive. Ok so I have been gaming 20yrs or so since a young age starting with ZX Sinclair and Streets of Rage etc. I have lost countless, hours, days, months into a huge variety of games ranging from Metal Gear's, Gran Tourismo's, Guild Wars 1&2, Aion, Assassins Creed's, Supreme Commander, Dawn Of War series and numerous more. This game is by quite a long shot my all time favourite game. It has so much depth which when you consider that in essence all it is, is a large shooter. By depth I mean there are so many different paths I can take on my personal journey not to mention 3 factions to do it with. I can take to the skies in a number of aircraft, I can speed across enormous maps in a choice of vehicles. When I decide to get some exercise I can choose a multitude of professions to add to my PS2 experience from Engineer to Infiltrator and then each profession has numerous ways of playing and different styles. Even after a year I find myself asking (mostly on the newest of all the maps).. 'Not sure I've been here before' ! Then there is the graphics,... ok its a 2yr old game but the excitement is so easily captured mid battle with the glorious scenery along with a huge array of bullets and weapons filling the skies with luminous glows of various colours.... This game is quite simply a game all true gamers must try. Yes it is frustratingly hard for a long time when you first log in, but give it time and you will soon feel the buzz this game consistently offers. And to top it all off its free to play. Yes you can choose to spend your hard earned cash but all it really does is give you visual customisation and if you decide to, a head start on weapons rather than earn them the hard way. Cash is not needed to appreciate this game whatsoever, to prove this one factions default Light Machine Gun is I think one of the best in the game (Orion). Finally one more word on the scale of the game, its huge, really really huge. I often find myself relatively high on the leader board on whichever area I'm engaged in yet I recently found myself number 300+(forgot the exact number), meaning in the small section of the gigantic map I was playing on, there was at least 300 people battling for control across three (but most likely two) factions (factions meaning playable race's TR, NC & Vanu)....... Epic. Expand
  69. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is not finished. It feels rushed. I tried playing it but given that there was little to no tutorial I found myself running around and dying repeatedly with no idea what I was doing. My default FPS experience worked fine when I was running and gunning with no real game plan; it was when I tried to play a medic or engineer that the true frustration came in. I'm generally a supportThis game is not finished. It feels rushed. I tried playing it but given that there was little to no tutorial I found myself running around and dying repeatedly with no idea what I was doing. My default FPS experience worked fine when I was running and gunning with no real game plan; it was when I tried to play a medic or engineer that the true frustration came in. I'm generally a support character because I feel that the 13 years olds' are simply better shots than me in my twenties. I like to heal people or repair generators.

My short stint in this game as a medic proved an act of futility. My attempt at reviving downed players resulted in bugs. Revive icons were always lateral to the actual downed player leading to much confusion on the battlefield and 90% of the time the game didn't even register that I was reviving someone! Nothing like standing out in the open with the camera pointing down for precious extra seconds hoping the medic gun would actually connect and I would not only do some good on the battlefield but earn my well deserved XP!

My stint as an engineer led to just as much frustration with the announcer stating there was a generator down without stating what generator or where. There was no tutorial for the HUD map so I had no idea if the generator even had a waypoint nor could I find a legend to speak of to figure it out on my own. Obsessively the announcer would inform me of a downed generator and it likewise being repaired but I gave up trying to find it after wandering aimlessly throughout all of the buildings dying over and over in an attempt to repair it! Finally as a standard, assaulting, run and gun player did I find ANY resemblance of a typical MMO shooter. The sheer number of players was both impressive AND chaotic since death literally loomed over every corner. This is more of a personal preference really since the original game was much the same. I personally think this volume is too much chaos but I can see the appeal.

In conclusion, this game DESPERATELY needs a proper tutorial outside of the gaming community to teach the various aspects of the game. Had I had such a tutorial I feel as though I would have been much more forgiving with the other faults as I could have at least participated in the fray instead of simply dying repeatedly in an attempt to bring myself to a mere novice level.
  70. Mar 6, 2013
    At first glance, Planetside 2 looks like what FPS fans would describe as a perfect FPS. Heaps of guns, huge maps, people running everywhere, vehicles and just generally massive scale warfare. Sadly, it is far from it, it could have been, but isn't. Planetside 2 is a game plagued with bugs that haven't been fixed, pay to win business model, especially when it comes to vehicles, optimizationAt first glance, Planetside 2 looks like what FPS fans would describe as a perfect FPS. Heaps of guns, huge maps, people running everywhere, vehicles and just generally massive scale warfare. Sadly, it is far from it, it could have been, but isn't. Planetside 2 is a game plagued with bugs that haven't been fixed, pay to win business model, especially when it comes to vehicles, optimization easily the worst I have ever seen (20-30 fps on my high end machine with every setting on dead low), disgusting textures (1997ish textures on low, impossible to play it higher), hackers everywhere with no solid attempt to overcome them (even though it is impossible to get rid of them in a F2P shooter so why bother i guess), awfully confusing UI, so bad that it actually causes performance issues, horrifically slow progression (after playing 70 hours I have unlocked 1 weapon which is the cheapest ones). Balance is pretty bad, players will never be able to be a pilot without spending money to unlock the must have items for the aircraft, and tanks can be improved as the default machine gun that most of the vehicles have are god awful. The price of the items are ridiculous, as usual with all free to play games, $15 subscriptions basically get you nothing and guns are like $7-10 dollars. Seriously, has any company actually tried selling their products at an acceptable price? Perhaps they would be more successful if they catered to people who aren't rich or have no sense of value with currency.

Planetside 2 could have easily been that amazing MMO-FPS game that fans are really wanting, but with all these horrible issues that still haven't been fixed, or even improved upon after I returned to playing Planetside 2, I am quite skeptical that this game will ever be worth your time.
  71. May 22, 2013
    I find it amusing the people giving this game low scores are crying it is too hard or you need to spend hours getting the 'good' weapons. I have been playing this game for a while now and still haven't spent a cent and manage to more than hold my own. If you came from a COD background then this game is definitely too hard for you it involves tactics and skill. Battlefield players willI find it amusing the people giving this game low scores are crying it is too hard or you need to spend hours getting the 'good' weapons. I have been playing this game for a while now and still haven't spent a cent and manage to more than hold my own. If you came from a COD background then this game is definitely too hard for you it involves tactics and skill. Battlefield players will feel much more at home and the depth of customisation is a breath of fresh air in this game genre. The large scale battles and varying roles you can play make for some great extended gaming sessions and unique battles. Having a mike is essential as there is no time to type and noone pays attention to the typers anyhow. The only issue is the same as with most other online games gen i jerkoffs who think they are gods gift polluting the airwaves with their ridiculous dribble. Expand
  72. Nov 22, 2012
    The biggest problem with Planetside 2 though is that is commits the cardinal sin of free to play games. Players that pay have a marked advantage over those who don't. Earning enough free credits for basic upgrades is agonizingly slow. If you want to play, expect to pony up some cash up front or be left in the dust.

Now to cover the other problems. Its poorly optimized. The servers

Now to cover the other problems. Its poorly optimized. The servers aren't very good. The game looks bland on max settings. The controls aren't very tight. I've put in about 12 hours now, and every battle ends up being the exact same thing, one team corralling the other team in their base. There's no hope of a mass break out or of winning, yet the game can drag on for hours on end. The lack of any kind of tutorial is frustrating and will surely turn away casual players in droves the first time they're dropped into the middle of an active combat zone.

Players that participated in the beta are at a clear advantage with their knowledge of the maps and classes. New players are mere cannon fodder, which would be fine except for the fact that the learning curve is made steeper by the fact that those players that invested money in the game have an even bigger advantage.

Yes, the scale is impressive, but when it comes to balance and pure fun, Battlefield 3 has it beat hands down. For pure multi-player joy, CoD: Black Ops II is a much better and polished product with moments of grin inducing mayhem. And for those of you PC guys with an Xbox 360, Halo 4 multiplayer stomps PS2.

The game just feels low budget and generic. PS2 would have greatly benefitted if they had simply charged for the game up front instead of nickle and diming players.
  73. Mar 9, 2013
    Really loved this game when it first came out. The persistent world, the graphics and I found it ran smoothly. However, it felt repetitive, without a sense of finale. The gunplay doesn't match up to other FPS I enjoy. Also not a huge fan of the credit of monetization model. I did purchase some weapons to give some support to the devs and for free or however much you want to pay the game isReally loved this game when it first came out. The persistent world, the graphics and I found it ran smoothly. However, it felt repetitive, without a sense of finale. The gunplay doesn't match up to other FPS I enjoy. Also not a huge fan of the credit of monetization model. I did purchase some weapons to give some support to the devs and for free or however much you want to pay the game is great value. Expand
  74. Dec 6, 2012
    I'd give the game a 7.5 out of 10 just because the game seems rushed and unfinished. It has a lot of potential later on, but I don't see the game doing very well unless they start working hard to fix the numerous problems in the game. From ridiculously poor optimization, bugs, lack of a tutorial, borderline pay2win, no story or lore to dig into for your factions, it makes this game hardI'd give the game a 7.5 out of 10 just because the game seems rushed and unfinished. It has a lot of potential later on, but I don't see the game doing very well unless they start working hard to fix the numerous problems in the game. From ridiculously poor optimization, bugs, lack of a tutorial, borderline pay2win, no story or lore to dig into for your factions, it makes this game hard to recommend to anyone in it's current state. Expand
  75. Nov 26, 2012
    I was extremely excited for planetside 2 after hearing so many great things about it and watching all the videos, after playing it for roughly 10 hours excitement turned into disappointment. First thing players will notice is the massive scale of the game, 3 huge continents with hundreds of players battling over bases is amazing, the graphics are also quality and will require a powerfulI was extremely excited for planetside 2 after hearing so many great things about it and watching all the videos, after playing it for roughly 10 hours excitement turned into disappointment. First thing players will notice is the massive scale of the game, 3 huge continents with hundreds of players battling over bases is amazing, the graphics are also quality and will require a powerful rig to even play the game at medium settings, but in the gameplay is where the game falls short. For starters there is no tutorial, the game already has a steep learning curve and the lack of help is enough to turn players off from the get go. The mouse sensitivity is way to high and even after turning it all the way down makes it difficult to aim, since it requires persistent aiming rather than COD style twitch aiming, the poor hit detection, shoddy animations and the fact that you have to hit a player 10-15 times to kill them makes the game extremely annoying and takes away the fun that could be had with it. The guns also feel floaty and seem like they do very little damage. The developers also claim this is a free to play game which is not true, players that pay have a clear advantage over non-paying players as they can buy better guns, gear and armor and those that subscribe have bonus perks like extra xp and cert points; which is the games currency. Playing without paying could take a huge amount of time to unlock a new gun or even weapon attachments making the game even less fun. The game could have been brilliant, the scope is massive and unseen before, giving the player land and air vehicles, skills, huge amount of customizable weapons and objectives. But going up against players that shed money is frustrating considering they are much better equipped than you are. If you are curious to find out for yourself i recommend trying it considering the game is free to download, but if you are after a solid team based shooter for a one off payment giving you everything at your disposal, stick to battlefield 3.

Pros:
    + massive scale with hundreds of players
    + massive maps with heaps of bases to fight over
    + looks amazing on a powerful machine
    + large amount of weapons, vehicles and items Cons:
    - play to win
    - very slow gameplay
    - frustrating aiming and shoddy hit detection
    - lack of tutorial and steep learning curve will turn off gamers
    - takes too long to unlock gear without paying
    - weak gun play and weapons feel wake and similar
  76. Feb 5, 2013
    There are some great things about Planetside 2. For one, it's free. A very large game with a lot to potentially do, it has the makings of a great game. The problems though tend to outweigh the good parts. From the very first day, this game was essentially pay-to-win. All equipment upgrades in the game take an insanely long time to grind out enough certs to purchase, but you can spendThere are some great things about Planetside 2. For one, it's free. A very large game with a lot to potentially do, it has the makings of a great game. The problems though tend to outweigh the good parts. From the very first day, this game was essentially pay-to-win. All equipment upgrades in the game take an insanely long time to grind out enough certs to purchase, but you can spend $10-$20 and get the best possible weapon or other upgrade for any given class. This means that if you *aren't* paying to play, you're at a massive disadvantage. The other problem is that it takes place on a persistent world environment. While this seems like a great idea, you can't help but feel a sense of nihilism as you never actually gain anything from capturing an area (because tomorrow when you log on, you'll just have to conquer the same area again.) Essentially, uneven progression and a lack of any discernible goals make what could have been a great game into a "meh" kind of situation. Worth a try (you won't lose anything except some time) but don't get too excited. Expand
  77. Jan 14, 2013
    Having seen many negative reviews I was expecting a very flawed game. But on the contrary, I found Planetsi
    de 2 to be a very enjoyable game. And its free!
    de 2 to be a very enjoyable game. And its free!
    I found the gun mechanics of the game very nice. The scale of it is amazing, specially when there are enough people in the server and 2 "zergs" clash. If that doesnt happen you might be facing boring moments, but these are avoidable most of the time. And seeing those huge battles is amazing. When I started the game I decided to play as medic to learn the game. I was expecting to get a crappy default gun and not being able to kill anyone. Not at all! Default gun (TR) was great. I found out the infantry gameplay very balanced. The things you purchase with Cert points (gained through experience) dont make such a huge difference, they are very cheap upgrades at first and there are plenty of ways to get constant (yet slow) stream of experience doing many different actions, not just plain killing. You get nearly the same ammount of exp for reviving a teammate as for killing someone. Who kills who in infantry gameplay is generally determined by a mixture of tactics and luck. Want some kills? Flank the enemy And if theres enough people in the server and you know the basics you can get to the frontline with no waiting time since there is generally always a mobile span point placed that will get you right into action.

Now for the cons. First of all the game definetely lacks a tutorial. You can spend a lot of time reading beginners guides in the internet before you start and still you will be completely clueless for a couple of hours until you learn the basics.
    The optimization is horrible. But hey once I set the graphics to look like a game from a decade ago the game runs with perfect fps even in huge battles so thats great. I dont really care about graphics so much anyway as long as the fps is nice.
    Strategical and teamplay is not encouraged and unless you are in an outfit it is generally nonexistent. This is generally mitigated by the fact that there are so many people but not that much. So generally fighting will be a mass of people behaving like cattle. So try to find a friend or join an outfit or otherwise you will be very dissappointed with your teamamtes. And resources are so abundant that no one really cares what gets captured or not.
    One of the things that I liked most about this game was that it was free and to my surprise there was not a huge advantage to people that payed real money ... in infantry combat. People who pay get great advantages when using tanks or aircraft. You can see aircraft completely wiping out masses of infantry or vehicles while these cant do much against them. I just hope the developers now dont leave things as they are and strive to balance the game and encourage teamplay. If they do it could get to be a great game. But the game right now is very enjoyable for most of the time.
  78. Jan 27, 2013
    While the gameplay, graphics and sound are actually quite good, the game is just not suited for any true PvP player because of it's Pay2Win payment model. This may not stand out as much because of the frequent big battles in which the individual player doesn't have a big impact on, but it's still there.

PS2 has it's good moments when playing with several other people over voice comm, but that's just not enough for me when I want to play against other people on an equal footing.
  79. Aug 20, 2013
    I felt I needed to do an updated review. I'll use bullet points to outline the main problems after recently playing and uninstalling again.

-Pay2Compete; Pay gain access to the latest OP weapons before they are nerfed once they've had sufficient sales. -Art design; This game has sub-par art design. The only things that are decent are weapons. Vehicles, character armor and cosmetics

-Art design; This game has sub-par art design. The only things that are decent are weapons. Vehicles, character armor and cosmetics look what people thought sci-fi would look like in the 80s. Skull masks & Lightbright helmets are a complete joke, and I might of thought they were cool when I was 13. Takes the seriousness out of the game.

-Nickel & Diming; BF3 launched without the classic horn for the jeep. Outraged, players asked for it. EA of all companies eventually put it in via patch FOR FREE. If you would like to enjoy a 2.5 second mp3 sound every time you pressed the mouse button while driving a vehicle in PS2, please insert $7. The argument "You don't have to pay for it if you dont want" is moot. It is the fact they charge $7 for a 2.5 second mp3. It's not hard to take a stock horn sound and edit it nicely.

-Lack of Vision; Even after so much time has passed, I can see the fundamental flaws have not been fixed. Bases seem to be upgraded with more cover, a jeep was added, and a plethora of new weapons were added to the store yet I didn't particularly see any performance increases or any kind of point to the battles. It is quite simply still a giant, semi-laggy TDM with vehicles with no permanence of end. In BF3 for example there is an end. A screen pops up and announces you won, with battle statistics after the fact. It feels complete. The war has ended. In PS2, it simply goes on for ever with no end ever in sight. This fact alone eventually makes the player feel what he's doing is pointless, which it is. It is this feeling of pointlessness that helped me hate this game.

Cutting Corners; From what I read, SOE pays their employees below the standard wage for people in the industry. This means the bulk of developers working there are probably fresh out of school or new to the industry. This would explains a lot of the low quality production values in PS2. With Sony's huge money, there was no reason why the factions could not all their own unique common pool vehicle models. I could understand the reason in planetside 1, to save money since a game like planetside hadn't been done before. But today its simply lazy. Playing Vanu is pointless, because you are not a cool alien tech faction since most of your vehicles are wheeled, tracked or use conventional propulsion. All factions having the exact same common pool vehicle models also creates problems. Many times have I accidently shot a friendly vehicle thinking it was enemy. There is absolutely no excuse for SOE not to have launched with empire specific common pool vehicle models. It will probably never be done, as it would not make them money.

It is dozens of small details like this that piss me off, and make me deeply regret spending close to $200 on the shop. The only reason I did so was because I was already bored and thought buying the new weapons or cool new camo would re-energize my spirit to continue playing.

It didn't.
  80. Nov 28, 2012
    Planetside 2 is truly a groundbreaking idea - however the current state of the game could be better described as open beta rather than a final release. Although the game is extremely fun in the odd chance it is running without problems you will often find yourself frustrated with extremely buggy gameplay, a horrid framerate, and unstable servers. You will find your jet packs not working,Planetside 2 is truly a groundbreaking idea - however the current state of the game could be better described as open beta rather than a final release. Although the game is extremely fun in the odd chance it is running without problems you will often find yourself frustrated with extremely buggy gameplay, a horrid framerate, and unstable servers. You will find your jet packs not working, or you will find yourself dying from taking an innocent boost to a landing pad, or nobody will be moving and you will get shot through walls due to lag and extrapolation, or you will find tanks floating in mid air, or your VOIP won't work like it does not work for a big population of players, or you will find your current generation super computer can't pull more than 20fps in big battles. With all these problems this game does not deserve a positive score, no matter how much I would like to give it one.

I will revisit this review in two months by when hopefully this game will leave the open beta stage.
  81. Nov 28, 2012
    Large battles featuring up to 2000 players per continent and is a complete blast, never had so much fun with an online FPS in my whole gaming-life PlanetSide 2 is awesometacular
  82. Apr 25, 2013
    I would like Planetside 2 alot but theres one problem the damn P2W (Pay 2 win) style of gameplay.

Many of you might say it's not a P2W game but in reality it is P2W game because they made collecting in-game money really slow and weapons costs way too lot that you can buy by in-game money. Also i found that theres some huge balance problems that in some faction have lots of players and

Also i found that theres some huge balance problems that in some faction have lots of players and other don't on server where you are playing.

About the P2W thing ithat those don't by weapons and items for real money it takes very long to get them unlike people that buys weapons and items for real money they can get really good stuff on low lever that helps alot.
    For example, if there 2 players on 1 VS 1 and both low level players on same class, the other guy have the basic weapons and items that you can get from start of the game and other guy buys weapons and items for real money from start, the guy that buys weapons and items for real money owns the guy that don't buy weapons and items for real money unlike the other guy with starting weapons and items don't have any chance to kill that guy.
    So it force you buy weapons and items for real money to win 1 VS 1 fights other then that you need always have 1-3 teammates with you even fights turn out be 2-4 vs 1.

But there was something good about this game and that was 2000 players each server, really big maps, really good looking graphics for F2P game, Controlls are almost perfect.

Also not forget that sometimes the server balance is so bad you end up fighting like 20 enemys at same time own base where is only 2-5 own team mates and sometimes you and up fighting all 20 enemys alone.

After i found Planetside 2 be alot pay 2 win style of game then i just stoped playing it and not waste of my time for collecting in-game money that you can collets very long time for single weapon.
  83. Mar 9, 2013
    What a joke at the dumb reviewers saying this game is way better than any battlefield or any other fps game out there.. and giving this game a 10 out of 10. If you think a broken, bland, pointless, game like planetside 2 is better than any other mutliplayer shooter out there then you have either never played 1 single damn game besides this, are 10 years old, or you have the worst taste inWhat a joke at the dumb reviewers saying this game is way better than any battlefield or any other fps game out there.. and giving this game a 10 out of 10. If you think a broken, bland, pointless, game like planetside 2 is better than any other mutliplayer shooter out there then you have either never played 1 single damn game besides this, are 10 years old, or you have the worst taste in gaming that I have ever seen. About the game, all i can really say is, devs dont have the common sense to help out newbies so people get turned away from the game so less player base, and HOW can anyone say this is a better game than battlefield when all you do in this game is capture 1 base at a time with unbalanced classes and vehicles and you do nothing else.... at least in battlefield you can play many different game types, play with friends, better control of vehicles, more rewarding system, better scaling, just about everything is better in Battlefield besides the map is bigger in PS2.... BOOHOO Expand
  84. Nov 22, 2013
    So this game is addicting, but is definitely more fun with others. Although it is bugged and alot of times that gets you killed, it is still fun. They really need to fix a lot, when there are a TON of people playing you can barely get into the game if at all. Since the optimization patch, the performance of the game has been much better but there is way more to be desired such as weaponSo this game is addicting, but is definitely more fun with others. Although it is bugged and alot of times that gets you killed, it is still fun. They really need to fix a lot, when there are a TON of people playing you can barely get into the game if at all. Since the optimization patch, the performance of the game has been much better but there is way more to be desired such as weapon equilization and distance rendering. I find it utterly ridiculous that you can be shot out of the sky by aa that you cant even see. I know its free but the weapons and gear you buy is extremely overpriced. 7 dollars for pretty much every weapon is crap especially if it doesnt carry over to all you characters no matter the faction. (such as vehicle weapons that arent faction specific i.e halberd, m60, liberator weapons etc. I shouldnt have to pay 7 dollars for a weapon for every faction of character. There are plenty more upsides than downsides for sure but this game, as with any other, has many flaws. Overall it is definitely a game worth playing especially with a group of friends. Expand
  85. Nov 26, 2012
    The game has a great deal of potential. However in my opinion it falls flat on its face because of the horrendous lag that's encountered whenever there are huge battles. It's a shame, but until they get this sorted out it's strongest selling point is a huge disappointment. You can't play an fps when everyone is warping around the place and your screen starts to flicker after thirty minsThe game has a great deal of potential. However in my opinion it falls flat on its face because of the horrendous lag that's encountered whenever there are huge battles. It's a shame, but until they get this sorted out it's strongest selling point is a huge disappointment. You can't play an fps when everyone is warping around the place and your screen starts to flicker after thirty mins of play. Expand
  86. Nov 22, 2012
    Great game, played since beta. It's one major flaw is that's it's near impossible to unlock anything, even for a free game. You usually start with simple one point certifications, but then the price skyrockets to 100's for a simple bonus. In fact, there is not a single weapon in the game for under 100 certifications.
  87. Nov 23, 2012
    Planetside 2 has battles of epic scale and decent gfx but the gameplay is lacking and their F2P system went P2W even before the launch throwing everything balance related out of the window. Several bugs and lag issues along with the P2W factor make the game nearly unplayable.

+ Scale
    + Might get better
    + Cant get much worse

- P2W
    - Balance
  88. Nov 27, 2012
    With all due respect, this is honestly a great game, with great mechanics, and a fantastic atmosphere. In other words - it was a success.

However, in many areas - it falls short. Please note I have not played the original planetside, so this review is unbiased to the previous game. Where does this game succeed? In scale. The sheer scale of planetside 2 is enough to make you play it,

Where does this game succeed? In scale. The sheer scale of planetside 2 is enough to make you play it, it is highly addicting - and wtih a group of friends can be very fun. Coupled with modern day gunplay mechanics, this game seriously sets itself up to be a great game. However, aside from the good mechanics, and addictive gameplay - there are a few places where planetside 2 falls very very short.

First of all, the game does not feel rewarding to me. This is a subjective opinion - but I did not save up one thousand certs to buy a gun that looks nearly - if not exactly, the same as my default gun. While the guns are well rounded function wise, LMG's on the same faction - will have remarkable resemblance to each other. In other words - the design in some areas is very bland and uninspired.

I would also like to mention balancing issues, the TR as a whole, are an overpowered bullet spraying killing machine. To put it mildly TR vs NC. The TR can afford to miss, while the NC simply can't. However, there are always trade offs - so I do believe personally, that I am just nitpicking.

Other than menial balancing issues, the game is incredibly buggy, and there are dozens of exploits. (Such as getting the health of a max suit on your light assault class.) I will not mention them all - but that is just the gist of many problems.

Furthermore, the game lacks any sense of depth. The reason is that it is almost impossible to use even tactics to take an enemy base. The game heavily relies on zerg rush tactics. So all you can do is kill kill kill until one team or another overcomes eachother. (Or more likely quits.) I really wish, that there was another way to manage spawns even at smaller bases. (There used to be SCU's at smaller bases during early beta, which was a good addition - however, now they've been taken away. They need them back. Camping spawns is a stupid idea for spawn suppression! The devs should be ASHAMED of themselves!)

However on a positive note, the game is still a very solid game. And will surely improve over time content and functionality-wise. Initial release for most MMO games is bland, so let us hope this one comes a long way. The game gets a solid 8 out of 10 in my opinion. Anymore would be overrated, any less would be bashing it.
  89. Dec 4, 2012
    So.... When I first looked at Planetside2, it was being described as an RTS/FPS, which made me slightly curious how something like that could be pulled off on the scale this game was being done in. Turns out, it's actually just an MMOFPS that takes the MMO part VERY seriously. Really, there are other games out there that call themselves MMOFPS, but aren't on the sort of scale thatSo.... When I first looked at Planetside2, it was being described as an RTS/FPS, which made me slightly curious how something like that could be pulled off on the scale this game was being done in. Turns out, it's actually just an MMOFPS that takes the MMO part VERY seriously. Really, there are other games out there that call themselves MMOFPS, but aren't on the sort of scale that Planetside2 is. That alone was enough to make me want to stick around and play the game, being in a shooter where there aren't arena like battlefields that you have to let load up first, but a persistent world where there is always a battle happen some where that you can just jump right into!

It's a concept I'd never seen done for a shooter before, and I love it! It of course, isn't without a few gripes that I have despite obviously liking this game. To start, the game probably would have been even bigger and more epic if it was made on a megaserver, like how a game such as Eve Online is done, rather than being split up into different regional servers, but that's ultimately just nitpicking compared to my next point. There isn't a tutorial or training mode.

Some people might think this isn't a big deal since it's a shooter, but think about this. Planetside2 has ALOT of things happening in it at all times, and there are a few options you have, even when on foot, that you might not think about being able to do, since most other shooters only ever give you the options of, "walk, run, shoot, throw grenade, use that other thing your carrying". Planetside2 has that, and also adds in, "use the OTHER, other thing your carrying, whip out your squad command gear, oh, and we have other things to so you can practically micromanage your equipment! =D" and it's like that for the vehicles too! Now, that's all fine and dandy, it's always nice when a game gives you options, but if you don't know how to use those options then you've got a problem.

For those out there like myself who had never played the original Planetside, we're going into this totally blind. While it's good that the people running the game went out of their way to make some "training videos" for the game, unless someone actually knows they exist and are looking for them, then it's not going to help them much. From what I understand, the original game had a VR training mode that you could go into any time you wanted to dick around and experiment with what was available to you, so you could get a better feeling for the game, so why doesn't Planetside2 have this? What was so hard about putting the VR system in the new game? I proved a quick study for this game and was able to get down almost everything it had for features, but there are still people in the game that are as clueless as I was going in, and questions that in most other MMO style games that would be common sense and immediately flamed if asked, I can't really fault anyone for asking in this since the game tells you nothing about what you can do. It needs some kind of training mode... BADLY.

My other gripe is that I'd heard there would be some kind of mission system for the game to make the gameplay more diverse. Again, awesome thing! So... Where is it Planetside2? As much as I enjoy running raids against enemy buildings, or running defense against a raid on one of the buildings my people control, that can only hold my attention for a couple hours at a time at most without something more varied to do when the straight up combat isn't something I want to dive into. No recon work? Patrol missions? Escorts? Nothing? I don't know for sure if what I heard is true, but that is something I really want to see happen for Planetside2 as well.

My gripes about it aside though, this game has proven itself capable of impressing me with what it does have, and since the game is an MMO, it can stand to reason the some of the things I've heard will be in the game, or things that the game needs, will be put in at a later date, so for now, I'll have my fingers crossed that it will happen, and just enjoy the mayhem that presently exists.
  90. Feb 16, 2013
    Planetside 2's concept with massive battles, multiply platoons of soldiers running head to head, is a fantastic idea. No game today does these kind of things, and it's free, so why do so many people seem to dislike it? First of all, the bugs. Game series's like CoD, Battlefield, Halo, etc. They are all games with a low amount f bugs, they are also kind of similar, People then assume thisPlanetside 2's concept with massive battles, multiply platoons of soldiers running head to head, is a fantastic idea. No game today does these kind of things, and it's free, so why do so many people seem to dislike it? First of all, the bugs. Game series's like CoD, Battlefield, Halo, etc. They are all games with a low amount f bugs, they are also kind of similar, People then assume this game, with also is a fps, have the same amount of bugs or lower than the other games. But planetside 2 is much larger and much more difficult to make bug free as the other games so of course there will be bugs. You could the say that the release was to early. Bugs is far from the biggest problem in planetside 2, there are only one gamebreaking bug (which seems to be fixed now) and that was your screen randomly flashing white for a long time. The biggest problem with the game are the gameplay, which i often just one big kill farm (they are working on this, the last patch made some great changes with this). And this game is FAR from pay2win, you can get everything that is gameplay changing with in game currency, and the stock weapons are perfectly fine, if you don't want to use the stock weapons until you got enough in game currency, then you buy a weapon with real money, but those weapons are just sidegrates really. This game i worth a try, and are always evolving, just remember P2W are not any real issues, and the bugs are far from gamebreaking. I could be talking about all the good things about this game all day, but i don't have anymore time. See you on the battlefield. Expand
  91. Mar 3, 2013
    Sadly my review will mostly echo the main criticisms I've seen on here of the game. The learning curve is relatively steep, and though you won't generally get endlessly flamed by your teammates (one individual's failure, on average, can be a drop in the bucket given the sheer scale of combat in the game), unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated and or very very good, don't expect to beSadly my review will mostly echo the main criticisms I've seen on here of the game. The learning curve is relatively steep, and though you won't generally get endlessly flamed by your teammates (one individual's failure, on average, can be a drop in the bucket given the sheer scale of combat in the game), unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated and or very very good, don't expect to be upgrading your character's certs with any sort of regularity without dropping some cash on the game. I had some extra Station Cash from my EQ2 F2p days and dropped them on some starting guns, but even that small initially boost was not enough to alleviate the utter curbstompering I experienced at the hands of the most modestly geared opponents. Add to that the insanely high system reqs (to be expected when there's a couple hundred people in one warzone), and you have a very frustrating gaming experience with very, very little payout in terms of seeing your "character" progress. Expand
  92. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is more or less a Battlefield 3 clone with League of Legends inspired micro-transactions. Compared to the original Planetside, PS2 has improved visuals and a better flight model for its aircraft, but is otherwise an inferior product. If you are a long standing Battlefield veteran that is looking for some time to burn you will probably find some enjoyment in this title but to beThis game is more or less a Battlefield 3 clone with League of Legends inspired micro-transactions. Compared to the original Planetside, PS2 has improved visuals and a better flight model for its aircraft, but is otherwise an inferior product. If you are a long standing Battlefield veteran that is looking for some time to burn you will probably find some enjoyment in this title but to be honest BF3 (which I consider to be the worst in series) is just a better version of this game. Expand
  93. Mar 27, 2014
    I sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amountI sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amount of players on your team is totally random. The lack of killcam promotes camping, and there's no strategy required once you've found a corner to spam from. The entire game feels unfinished and soulless, only play this if you're a call of duty fan with no regard for well-crafted game design. Expand
  94. Jul 9, 2014
    Played PS2 Beta, worked like a charm.

Played PS2 official release, biggest clusterf*ck broken failure of an FPS I've ever seen in my life.

Played PS2 now two years later with promises of the game being "better than ever", Still a broken-down piece of garbage with dying behind walls and population differences of 10%+.

Just.. F*ck off already, SoE.
  95. Nov 13, 2014
    They way this game creates frustration is like no equal. Overrated as hell because it's free and "big" but in fact, if you look past your generic fanboy-review and the free-ness, it is nothing worth playing.
    Okey, first one thing, Yes, it's free. But that doesn't justify it's lack of core FPS mechanics.

Hitreg is worse than BF4. You need to predict where the opponent is about to go, since you will only hit him if you shoot 1 meter in front of him. Same with vehicles. And if you manage to hit them, there is a chance of not doing any damage at all. This is especially viable for splash damage (tank shells). The standard tankshell has less damage than a frag grenade, which says all about the balance.

Spawning near battles you like is often not possible, which makes it very very annoying to start.
    Unlocks are incredibly slow. You earn Certs, which can be cashed in for unlocks. But if you want to play as tank driver, pilot AND one class of infantry, it easily takes you a month to get some noticable upgrades.

Gameplaywise it's not that bad. The game has decent FPS and decent graphics for a free game (this is justified by it's freeness). The big problem is that zerg-style wins. Bad hitreg and extremely slow character actions (switching gadget=>guns makes you be useless for at least 2 seconds since the gun doesn't fire immidiately) kills the pace and rewards camping like no other. Being aggressive with a few is "outplayed" by a group of zerg-noobs who can hardly weild a gun.

If you are completely new to FPS games, it's a decent start, but for anyone who can aim and has a form of brain, this will be pure torture.
  96. Oct 8, 2014
    This game is absolutely fabulous. The scale of the battles is unprecedented in the gaming industry. The outfits and platoons really bring a huge level team work that a majority of other games just don't have. This game does have a large learning curve, but it is entirely worth it. After sinking about 400 hours into this game, I have no regrets.
  97. Dec 1, 2012
    I had low expectations for this game because it was free to play. First impressions were 'damn this is hard...'. There's a steep learning curve and no tutorial as such, just jump in and fight to survive. And I died a lot. My next reaction was the indoor environments are kinda bland, although outdoors it's quite picturesque. I reckon I need better graphics card than the GTX 260 SLI I haveI had low expectations for this game because it was free to play. First impressions were 'damn this is hard...'. There's a steep learning curve and no tutorial as such, just jump in and fight to survive. And I died a lot. My next reaction was the indoor environments are kinda bland, although outdoors it's quite picturesque. I reckon I need better graphics card than the GTX 260 SLI I have to enjoy this game. Another thing is that there is no engaging storyline that I've grown to expect from these sort of FPS games. You are just dropped into the action and left to deal with it. However where this game outstrips every other sort of FPS in terms of scale. The maps are huge and battles can involve 2 to 100 individual units, from infantry to heavy armour, to air all in the scene at once. This is a phenomenal technical achievement. Additionally the squad command facilities are better than those I've seen in previous games. As a result stories form organically, and battle scenes that would be scripted in a COD game, evolve in Planetside out of the natural process where a group of humans have to complete an objective, defined by their platoon leader, like defend a base or capture a point. There's massive potential here for more to explored in terms of player coordinated squad based gameplay and Planetside has barely scratched the surface but has given us a taste of what things could be like. Expand
  98. Nov 25, 2012
    Free-to-play and MMOs are not my thing. I'm not able to invest much time in the game to get all the fancy stuff. And I do not want to spend money on the fancy stuff either. The game is not for casual gamers who want to shoot stuff for an hour or two and who do not like to get ripped apart by players who can invest more time. You always depend on finding an organised group so you have atFree-to-play and MMOs are not my thing. I'm not able to invest much time in the game to get all the fancy stuff. And I do not want to spend money on the fancy stuff either. The game is not for casual gamers who want to shoot stuff for an hour or two and who do not like to get ripped apart by players who can invest more time. You always depend on finding an organised group so you have at least some effect on the battle. The massive scale of the battle makes you feel insignificant unless your team does everything right. Finding such a team is hard and unexperienced/casual players are more likely to get kicked from a well organised squad. And there is no real objective - no goal to achieve for casual gamers other than to fight for sectors and resources. Capturing an entire continent takes days. So this game is not for me. And I hope, the Battlefield series will continue to offer me a better home. Expand
  99. Dec 3, 2012
    Incredibly addictive. Just as I thought I'd finally "grown up" and stopped playing PC games for good, Planetside 2 comes out and I find myself completely immersed in the gameplay. This game takes advantage of my decent PC hardware, so I am able to max out all settings and WOW the game really does look incredibly beautiful. At night, playing as Vanu, I see my empire mates' tank shells flyIncredibly addictive. Just as I thought I'd finally "grown up" and stopped playing PC games for good, Planetside 2 comes out and I find myself completely immersed in the gameplay. This game takes advantage of my decent PC hardware, so I am able to max out all settings and WOW the game really does look incredibly beautiful. At night, playing as Vanu, I see my empire mates' tank shells fly and they cast a blinding bright light that itself casts shadows as it wheezes by. I do have a deep concern about this game, though, which is why I've lowered my score from 10 to 8. It's addictive today, it'll be addictive tomorrow, .. but unlike some other sci-fi MMOs like, say, EVE Online, Planetside 2 really has absolutely no depth. There's no point in the chaotic fighting, except to just fight. After seeing my empire capture entire continents now four or five times since the game's launch (this review comes just a week or to after launch) I'm certain I'm going to get bored by the fact that there really is no point. Capturing a continent gets you bonus spending "money" for vehicles and aircraft, but there's no other real point. There's certainly no real story; I've come across a couple hack story ideas (some from Sony) on forums and blogs but there really is no story within the game, you're just out there fighting and respawning, ad nauseum.

There's also no real point in which empire you choose other than favorite music and colors. They're all pretty much the same. Oh, there are variations in vehicle speeds and power, but Sony played it very safe here on the balancing act and trying to keep all factions equal.

The shooter side of the game is solid, if sometimes a little bit plastic. Usually not, but sometimes I feel like I'm using a toy gun from Wal-mart. Sometimes the sound is weak and damage effect is light. The sniper rifle and the shotgun, for example, have no oomph, I suppose the sound engineers must not have very good speakers because I have studio monitors and these feel thin.

Overall, this is a fun game and being free it's definitely worth a shot. I would compare it best to Tribes: Ascend but on a much, much larger map scale in a persistent universe of equally absent meaning.
  100. Nov 26, 2012
    A truly epic game. BF3 on a massive scale, and whether your preference is flying, tanking or infantry, you will immense fun. All 3 playstyles are well implemented, and have a significant role to play in the game. There are myriad guns, explosives, and weaponry to choose from, and customizing your trooper / vehicle is a lot of fun. These can be trialed for 30 mins before you spend yourA truly epic game. BF3 on a massive scale, and whether your preference is flying, tanking or infantry, you will immense fun. All 3 playstyles are well implemented, and have a significant role to play in the game. There are myriad guns, explosives, and weaponry to choose from, and customizing your trooper / vehicle is a lot of fun. These can be trialed for 30 mins before you spend your cash/cert points too Expand
  101. Nov 27, 2012
    Ok so everyone who has been saying the game is terrible, it's free. Why is everyone complaining? For a free game, the graphics are incredible. The reason there are glitches and bugs is because it JUST came out and the game itself along with the maps are MASSIVE. Yes, of course there is an issue with unbalanced weapons due to people who pay. Why does it matter? Suck it up and enjoy the gameOk so everyone who has been saying the game is terrible, it's free. Why is everyone complaining? For a free game, the graphics are incredible. The reason there are glitches and bugs is because it JUST came out and the game itself along with the maps are MASSIVE. Yes, of course there is an issue with unbalanced weapons due to people who pay. Why does it matter? Suck it up and enjoy the game for what it is. The game is amazing. The battles are huge, usually 100 people per team. The scenery is so well done with the atmosphere of the game that it's just... Beautiful. If played alone, the game is fun. If you play it with a squad of 12 people where there's a very good squad leader (the way I play) the game is unbeatable. Imagine sneaking behind enemy lines with a single Sunderer (the vehicle that allows people to spawn on it) and hiding it under an enemy base two territories over, then taking the massive base with 12 people, while the enemy doesn't even notice you're there until it's too late. Planetside 2 is the definition of teamwork and it's the type of game I and a lot of my friends have been looking for. Sony did an amazing job with this game. Yes, glitches do exist and can get quite annoying. Hit detection isn't the best. There have been times where I shot 50 rounds into someone's chest at point blank and didn't get one hit marker. But my team was there to kill him, so it's ok. Vehicles can be over powered at times, but all you need to do is shoot them with a rocket launcher a few times and it's all good. The Certification system is kind of like most other F2P games, but still a great concept and executed very well. If everyone would just stop complaining about stupid things like the people who pay 15 dollars a month to play to get overpowered things, and maybe look at the gameplay part of it, maybe everyone would enjoy it! That's those people's choice to pay 15 bucks a month to play. You don't have to, so why complain? The game is amazing and it's free, which makes it even better. Yea it's not the best polished game out there, and maybe Sony could've waited a month or two to fix all of the glitches and bugs, but it's FREE. You don't need to pay 60$ for it. I've already put 55 hours into the game and I'm still playing. I love it, and it's just perfect. I over analyze everything. But I seem to just stop caring about any negative things about the game and just enjoy it's pure awesomeness. It's free. Download it and try it. I always say gameplay is completely based off of opinion, which is very true, but this game is just amazing. If you like FPS, you need to at least try this game. Don't give up in the first 5 minutes because it's confusing. Play it for a few hours until you at least have an idea of what you're doing. Remember, ITS FREE. Collapse

1. May 10, 2013