7.0

1. Jul 7, 2014
    Once you get into this game it if a fantastic amount of fun. The battles are on such a massive scale. Graphics are not as good as some other shoot em up platforms but am sure its done like that to be able to run massive servers.
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    (Forewarning; I apologize for the inevitable slaughter of my format by Metacritic, huge walls of text are the only option :c) The PROS:

+The game has the largest battles to be found in any game, ever. Barring very special cases in certain strategy games (Namely, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Total War) you will never see larger battles. It simply dwarves all contemporary games
    in sheer scale.

+Many of the mechanics from the original game (PlanetSide) have been completely revamped and/or replaced. It is no longer a chore to play. In fact, the gameplay is VASTLY improved, featuring full hitboxes, well-defined class roles and strategic thought simply not present before. Quite simply, its a blast

+The futuristic setting is very interesting visually and audibly. The lighting, draw distances, shadows and SFX are stunning. I especially enjoy when you fight at night, as it is one of the only modern games where the dark of night is... dark. I have a feeling you will enjoy looking at the immense star and moonscapes in awe, they're spectacular.

+ The game is Free to Play! In case you didn't know, "F2P" means "Free to Play"; Huzzuah! + There are three teams per server, as opposed to the regular two-sided fights that are the norm. This introduces an interesting dynamic with three-sided battles. Extremely fun.

+ While the factions share several things in common, notably certain vehicles and the classes, they each have a unique set of strengths and weaknesses that give you incentive to play as all three. While the lore is not particularly strong (This is an MMO after all), I suspect you will choose your first faction based on their backstory. I prefer the Vanu, being a transhumanist scum in real life.

+As goes naturally with the large player counts, the maps are enormous; expect to travel in various gunships and APC's more than on foot when trying to get from place-to-place.

The CONS:

- My primary concern with the game is the system requirements; you will require a very powerful rig to run the game at a level of 30 FPS or higher. Lower-end computers or older ones will have some problems, most notably in the larger battles. I had no problems with this, as I very recently constructed my own computer with high-end parts, but for the majority of people performance will be a factor.

- There are quite a few bugs and glitches int he game as-is; friendly tanks running you over push you into geometry, muzzle flash sometimes continues even when not firing,You spawn from a "slanted" perspective... You know, pretty typical stuff.

- Game-enders; Every now and then, you will have a CATASTROPHIC crash that may require you to disable/reset your router and modem, or at least restart your computer. These are very infrequent (I've had it happen once) but keep this in mind.

-There are some balancing issues, most relating to the MAX quasi-class/mech and to the power of air vehicles/Anti-Air weaponry.

- The "Certification" system in the game allows you to purchase weapons and other gear/perks with in-game experience. You "buy" them with things called "Certs" (Short for certifications) which are earned in gameplay for doing essentially everything. The number of Certs you need to buy some things (Notably weapons) is huge, and you earn them very slowly. I place huge emphasis on "slowly" . You can, optionally, circumvent this problem by directly buying things with real money through microtransactions, or buying a $15/month subscription (Which isn't mandatory in any way!) to increase the rate at which you earn things.

- I mentioned the lighting effects, particle effects and such earlier? Those are great, but the actual TEXTURES in the game are not particularly good, on-par with the industry standard five years ago. This is for the sake of game performance, a necessary evil, but it is still a definite weakness.

-Tutorials are very weak, you are simply thrust into the game for lack of a better term. I suggest watching youtube videos to get a grasp of the game before you play

CONCLUSION:

PlanetSide 2 is FILLED with great times to be had if you have a decent computer, all for the low, low price of $0. Keep in mind the game is somewhat hindered graphically and in terms of performance by the large player counts and huge maps, but simultaneously remember the good vastly outweighs the bad!

It gets an 8/10 - The game is superb with several minor problems and one somewhat big one. I expect the developers will support the game for years to come, so I will likely amend my score to 9/10 in the future as the performance is boosted and the bigs patched. You have nothing to lose by downloading it, just do it!
  3. Jan 29, 2013
    You play for 4 hours to capture or defend a base, next day its lost again. yes the battles are epic but it all seems so pointless. Air dominates, spawn camping gets frustrating. pay 2 win scheme. it was fun for a week but i'll be moving on to games with actual progress
  4. Nov 22, 2012
    Yeah this game is pretty overhyped. It was a poor choice to take on such extreme graphics for a F2P game. It looks great, but runs like trash. The scaling in reduction of graphical settings is subpar at best. This leaves anyone with a mid to entry level gaming rig excluded from enjoying this game. The gameplay is a whole different story. The map is a **** giving you so much information you cant process what is going on. There is no clear objective as to where you should be headed or going unless you are in a squad and receiving orders from another player. The scale of the game is questionable at best. The game draws heavily from the Battlefield series, but fails to deliver a controled mechanism for preventing an all out **** to occur. I have found myself kill spawned over and over and over. I have found myself spawning in a group of friendlies only to be pinned down by superior enemy forces. There really is no protection or passive base defenses. Aside from this the battles can last for hours, or dare I say days? This kind of scaling isnt fun for the average gamers, if you cant sit down and accomplish something significant in a 30-60 minute period, than the game development has been designed to accomodate a niche group of hardcore players. All in all Planetside 2 really has some potential for further development. The scale of the game and the sheer rigorous pacing of the game will turn many players off. Expand
  5. Feb 17, 2013
    If you have a good gaming PC that can handle the rendering of hundreds of players and like shooters like Battlefield 3 you owe yourself to play this game. I am completely 100% addicted to it and thing this game is a one of a kind experience.
  6. Feb 10, 2013
    Countless bugs, almost no friend/foe ID unless you mouse over for 5 seconds, so by that time, if it was a foe, you are dead. Also, you die in 3 hits unless your armor is built up. Another free to play, free to die, pay to win, pay to survive game. Don't waste your time on this one.
  7. Jan 9, 2013
    Fun to play, missing prone / vault though and weapons could be cheaper for ingame currency, other than that like i said before: Planetside 2 offers alot of EPIC fun for a free game, dont hesitate to try it, its free!
  8. Dec 8, 2012
    what's wrong with the critics?? this game is painfully dull and pointless. fps on a mmo scale? great idea except for the massive lagg which kills the whole zergfest. even being free this does not worth the bandwidth to download
  9. Dec 14, 2012
    Could be so good but it just isn't.
    You as a new player will have little fun in this game unless you wanna spend a decent amount of money. After playing a good 20 hours i havent even got 1/10th of the points needed for a decent upgrade. The grind you would need to do as a new player is just ridiculous, and the starting weapons is utter useless, same goes for the tank and plane weapons,
    wich means not only will you have the disadvantage of not knowing the game, but you will also have your skill removed due to ridicilous spread and weapon recoil, lesser health lower wpn dmg ect. ect. As a guy who normal do average in shooters i ended with a K/D ratio less than 0.3. Nuff said. Expand
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    The game is massive and definitely has a bright future in the FPS gamers eyes but this massive game comes at a cost. Most PC's have trouble running it. Mine alone is above average computer and I cannot even run it properly. As much as I wish I could give this game a 10, I cannot. Not while so many people who have above average computers cannot experience this massive and beautiful game.
  11. Jun 15, 2013
    Planetside 2 is a success from multiple standpoints. It manages to create an incredible sense of scale, and keep that scale well maintained (as well as fairly light on lag). It is a fair successor to the original Planetside, but retains little of its mechanics. Gameplay, unless operating with an outfit can by trying and tedious at best. There are plenty of extremely skilled players who will trounce your ass good, as well. Continent locking mechanics, and metagame seem to be on the backburner for SOE, who seem to be more concerned with setting up 'battle lanes' (read; Planetside's Lattice System Copy-Paste) to create a 'flow' of combat, to prevent back-capping (read; capturing undefended territories away from the main fight.) This means that the overall 'quality' of the game, and the feeling of success when capturing territory, or trouncing your foes is short lived at best.

Between the glitches, the fair amount of hackers, the pricey items, and the wayward dev focus, I can't give this game any more than 6.8/10 at the moment.
  12. Dec 13, 2013
    This game has kept me playing for so many hours... It has been many years I didn't play the same game for so long. It's hard, it's huge, it's free to play and absolutely not pay to win. Skill matters here, as much as strategy and tactics. You have so many choices you just can play in a different way every time you die (and it happens a lot but it's not frustrating since you can respawn quite fast). The dev team gives a lot of attention to the community and keeps releasing patches to make the game better and better. New features and patches will continue to be released in the next years, plans for this game are ambitious and really long term lasting.

I must be honest here, I play since Wolfenstein 3D and I never seen in my life this epic fights with infantry, vehicles and aircrafts. Visuals are simply great. Teamplay is wonderfully made up.

It's free. Try this game. It is an absolute must for every FPS player out there.
  13. Nov 13, 2014
    They way this game creates frustration is like no equal. Overrated as hell because it's free and "big" but in fact, if you look past your generic fanboy-review and the free-ness, it is nothing worth playing.
    Okey, first one thing, Yes, it's free. But that doesn't justify it's lack of core FPS mechanics.

Hitreg is worse than BF4. You need to predict where the opponent is about to go,
    since you will only hit him if you shoot 1 meter in front of him. Same with vehicles. And if you manage to hit them, there is a chance of not doing any damage at all. This is especially viable for splash damage (tank shells). The standard tankshell has less damage than a frag grenade, which says all about the balance.

Spawning near battles you like is often not possible, which makes it very very annoying to start.
    Unlocks are incredibly slow. You earn Certs, which can be cashed in for unlocks. But if you want to play as tank driver, pilot AND one class of infantry, it easily takes you a month to get some noticable upgrades.

Gameplaywise it's not that bad. The game has decent FPS and decent graphics for a free game (this is justified by it's freeness). The big problem is that zerg-style wins. Bad hitreg and extremely slow character actions (switching gadget=>guns makes you be useless for at least 2 seconds since the gun doesn't fire immidiately) kills the pace and rewards camping like no other. Being aggressive with a few is "outplayed" by a group of zerg-noobs who can hardly weild a gun.

If you are completely new to FPS games, it's a decent start, but for anyone who can aim and has a form of brain, this will be pure torture.
  14. Dec 4, 2012
    An MMO-shooter, which is good concept, but needs to be thought out more. Imagine playing WoW, but instead of starting at lvl 1 and going through questing zones and learning your class, you start at lvl 20, and are dropped into BattleGrounds and told "figure it out" while all the veterans farm you for points. And this is the beginning, middle, and end of the game. I played this game for about 4-5 hours, disliking it the whole time, but I assumed that I just hadn't found the delicious chocolate center inside this harsh, unwelcoming game. But once I realized that there was no such center, I stopped playing. So try it, it's free, but you better play with friends on skype/vent who know what's going on, or you'll be lost, confused, and free food for all the other people on skype/vent. Expand
  15. Dec 25, 2012
    I can give everyone the straight dope here in a few in a brief summary. I played continuously for a couple weeks or so and got up to about lvl 20 so I know the game mechanics well. I was absolutely blown away with P2 initially. It was almost everything I ever wanted in an FPS and seemed to fulfill all the promise of PC gaming. It ran fine(mostly), looked great and had all the large scale conflict and tactics a hardcore ,high-skill ceiling, pc game should. I will tell you what killed it. I knew these two things would eventually be a problem from the outset and they were. Number one: The conflict is meaningless as there is NOTHING at stake for gaining/losing your territory. Sure the fight is fun but for how long when there's absolutely no payoff. A war of this scale without any reward in the offing makes no sense and kills any long term enjoyment. Problem 2: P2 caters to the newer gen Ritalin children who can't comprehend the value of earning a kill in-game and so anybody can get the drop on you at anytime and 1 automatic burst later your dead. You'll spend most of your time in this game dying and trying to get back into the fight. The whole point of the game feels like it revolves around dying. It's absolutely horrendous and ridiculous. By having two hit-points you eliminate 75% of any skill or tactics the conflicts here have. If you had time in a firefight to utilize terrain and tactics the conflicts would be fierce and meaningful as they are in other games that allow for some damage. Instead you just zerg around the map dying and spawning until you outzerg the zergers. Even the heavy's vaporize under minimal fire. I just don't get it. Twice the hitpoints, and it soon becomes apparent who is the more skillful opponent and who deserves to control the battlefield. Why devs don't get this is beyond me and I don't feel like returning to this game even though they'll probably address my first issue. This fantastic game is utterly ruined because you can't sustain any damage. Just like all the other mainstream shooters Ritalin kids thrive on. I don't know who to blame so I jokingly pick on the Ritalin kids. Ridiculous, I'm done. Expand
  16. Nov 21, 2012
    At first I was really blown away by the game, then things started to get really boring, seeing as how SOE makes it extremely difficult to get different gear without paying for it. So customization is out the window. There's nothing really much to the game that's different from any other fps, other than the fact that you have very big maps, but even Arma easily covers that area. Then, I step back even further from the battles, and I see that basically, there isn't much chance of a faction winning an entire map, so it's just an endless war. After playing for approximately 6 hours straight, I'm not really impressed. I'm not shelling out money to enjoy myself. Expand
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    Probably my favorite game of all time. Alot of people say it's pay-to-win but it's really not, the base weapons are better than the ones you can buy. The weapons you can buy though do cost quite a bit I won't lie but like I said the base weapon is usually the best out of them all. Certs can be slow to make to but if you want quick certs I just repair turrets after a battle, most of the time you will be the only one repair (because everyone scatters to the next area) and it can get boring and long but you'll make a good amount of XP and certs.
    Lastly, you can play this game with a lower end PC but do note that you will have to play on the lowest settings (like me) even on the lowest settings I tend to crash every three or four hours. But that doesn't bother me at all. So yeah, I suggest a higher end PC to have the best experience.
  18. Jan 28, 2013
    It's hard to describe how I feel about this game. It goes from hot to cold so quickly, and infantry combat feels so secondary to tanks and aircraft. But when you're in a big battle, it's the most fun and exciting thing every conceived. It's like you're in a Star Wars movie. So much is happening all around you, it's just so intense. I can't say it's for everyone, but it's free, and worth the time to try it and see for yourself. Expand
  19. Dec 5, 2012
    Casting aside forgiveable minor bugs and unforgiveable CTD-problems, PS2 is fun for some time. The game ultimately fails due to what makes it special: large scale warfare lacks focus. Don´t expect all-out adrenaline experience such as Tribes:Ascend or Battlefield series offer. If some system which attracts all the three factions to compete for the same battlefied objectives at the same time was applied, the atmosphere would rise greatly. Also, the BOs (buildings, locations etc) lack imagination. They should have taken Halo series as model & inspiration, not Supreme Commander. My fav multiplayer scifi-shooter is BF2142. It has less of everything, but its heart is bigger. Expand
  20. Dec 6, 2012
    PAY TO WIN...YOU ARE WARNED

I give this game a 3 out of 10 only because they created a f2p MMOFPS on a massive scale...but that's it. The gameplay feels cheap, the controls feel clunky and the combat is not as exciting as they make it out to be. I agree with a lot of the other reviewers here, most people are being blown away by the sheer size of the game and the fact its f2p. Well, just
    because a big budget game and f2p, does not make it a 10 out 10 blockbuster game. This game has pay2win all over it. It takes a hell of a long time to earn anything in the game and the teams are horribly unbalanced... every time i log in, my team is pushed back to furthest corner on the map and we have no chance of pushing back. It seems as if most gamer's jump ship to the winning faction and call it a day. For the last two weeks, we have been stuck in the same corner trying to fight our way out and we are not making any progress. If your looking for that next mmo/fps hybrid, look past this one. Great idea, poorly executed. Hey SOE, maybe you should of created some sort of cap or auto balance for the teams. The fact that anybody can join the wining and steam roll the entire map is BS. And why on earth would you make it so hard to actually earn better weapons?? It does not sucker people into buying your premium crap, it turns people away from the game. Look at what GW2 did right and learn from them. I suspect this community if going to die real quick. Especially with the release of Firefall coming soon. You guys need to get over the fact that you can create huge worlds, you need to work on balancing, gameplay mechanics, combat, and..well...just about everything else in the game. Huge worlds do not cut it anymore. The game is boring... FAIL Expand
  21. Dec 1, 2012
    Planetside 2 falls short of Planetside 1 in about every category, but it's still a lot of fun and the best recent shooter out there. Be advised it's poorly optimized at the moment with some netcode issues, but hopefully when those are ironed out it will be fun for everyone.

Their customer service team is responsive and fast. Haven't run into any obvious hackers yet.
  22. Nov 29, 2012
    This is a great concept. poorly implemented. Pay to win feel but that's typical of F2P shooters. Biggest complaint is that battles are too large. Great idea in large scale battles, but cutting the maps into a 4th of their size would make combat more consistent. Instead you get a long period of firefights followed by monotonous base capturing without resistance because the other team is off doing something else. Capturing bases also feels way too long sometimes, my whole team stood at an enemy free base to capture it. Took 15mins of us standing around. The shooter mechanics are cool, but some of the classes feel strange. Only the heavy assault and medic feels right, all the others feel underpowered and the Max is way too beefy. Definitely worth a try, and I love how ambitious the developers were. Still, Blacklight and even Tribes:Ascend are better, albeit less original, F2P FPS games. Expand
  23. Nov 25, 2012
    Free-to-play and MMOs are not my thing. I'm not able to invest much time in the game to get all the fancy stuff. And I do not want to spend money on the fancy stuff either. The game is not for casual gamers who want to shoot stuff for an hour or two and who do not like to get ripped apart by players who can invest more time. You always depend on finding an organised group so you have at least some effect on the battle. The massive scale of the battle makes you feel insignificant unless your team does everything right. Finding such a team is hard and unexperienced/casual players are more likely to get kicked from a well organised squad. And there is no real objective - no goal to achieve for casual gamers other than to fight for sectors and resources. Capturing an entire continent takes days. So this game is not for me. And I hope, the Battlefield series will continue to offer me a better home. Expand
  24. Aug 1, 2013
    This is the worst gaming experience I have ever experienced. I play BF3 on high settings with under 50 ping, but in PS2, players are teleporting everywhere with the worst lag I've ever seen in a multiplayer game. This is why I stay clear of free to play games. Awful, just awful.
  25. Nov 24, 2012
    Great potential, that unfortunately falls flat. The graphics aren't amazing, but that's not surprising considering the scale they were going for. The biggest problem I have with this game is how much the game mechanics encouraging Team Killing. Seeing your supposed allies killing Sunderers (Mobile Spawn Points) so they can deploy one of their own in it's place in order to collect the exp just ruins any enjoyment I had in the game. Expand
  26. Dec 16, 2012
    After experiencing more than 3 hours of Planet Side I have to take back my previous review. Starting out you are going to get owned. You have to climb a huge wall just to become good enough where you have a good chance of killing someone without dying 5 times. You will rage (maybe break a keyboard like I did) but once you get passed this "introduction period" you will enjoy yourself like no other game has ever provided. Fighting along side 20-100 other people in 1-5 hour attacks on a single base is amazing and by playing this I now realize how much **** other fps are. The only thing that can come close is BF3. Planet Side 2 is just bigger, better, and more compared to other games. If you really want to feel like you're in a war this game will satisfy and more. Just be willing to sacrifice a keyboard or 2 for that fun (Luckily I had a spare). Expand
  27. Jun 29, 2013
    This is a pay to win game so it is more relevant to comment on the business model because pay to win games are just that and nothing more.

It's almost unreal but then cheating in games has been around for like forever now you just buy the cheats from the source itself; the developers.
    This is how simple is really is by the way; Weak wheals will pay big bucks to win! Whoa simply
    brilliant!

What makes this business model tasteless tho is that they encourage cheating in games played with other people as a cool thing all while denying that they are in fact selling cheats; anyone making money on this model will jump through hoops telling you that you are not buying the win; this is of course annoying as any fairly sensible person that's not completely self-deluded will just by the use of there own common sense know better.

Words you should associate with pay to win games;
    caveman, loudmouth, villain, doofus, nut, cheat, birdbrain, dope, half-wit, imbecile, brat, nuisance, pest, rip-off, gimmick, trick, hoax, humbug, phony, charlatan, quack.
  28. Nov 22, 2012
    Great game, played since beta. It's one major flaw is that's it's near impossible to unlock anything, even for a free game. You usually start with simple one point certifications, but then the price skyrockets to 100's for a simple bonus. In fact, there is not a single weapon in the game for under 100 certifications.
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    I am an original Tech Tester from wave 1. I have seen a LOT of improvements, overall the game is moving in the right direction all be it very slowly. I can't help but feel this is still in Beta, there's a LOT of major features that should have launched with the game. As of right now Planetside 2 is simply an enjoyable FPS and the promised massive emersive metagame is non existant. Some of my biggest gripes are uncapturable warpgates, bases that can be back capped by 1 or 2 people, the ability for anyone to pilot any vehicle at any time (No vehicle certs are required), The total lack of an actual front line, Cutting off enemy the enemy gives no real benefits. No inventory system, no way of picking up enemy equipment off of dead soliders, no way of hacking or capping enemy vehicles. So the entire "Immersive metagame" is missing. It's not all bad, the scale of the battles are incredible, but again, with no metagame it still feels like battlefield. You could spend a solid 1-2 hours fighting over a territory and once capped you move on pushing deeper into enemy territory... 20 minutes later you open your map only to find that 2 or 3 enemy troops were able to ghost cap all that hard work you've done because nobody is interested in chasing 3 rogue soldiers all over the map at abondoned zones. So what took you and 100 of your buddies 2 hours of hard fighting takes them 3 men and 10 minutes. Wheres the metagame in that? where's the feeling of a lasting victory? However dispite its glaring flaws, PS2 is still a very enjoyable game if played simply as a FPS. If you're looking for any kind of grand strategy you will only get frustrated and disappointed
    Hopefully SOE will change that and fast, because people like me are simply starting to lose interest in the same grind.
  30. Feb 24, 2013
    Never played a first person shooter to this extent, with team work that comes into play, which makes this great. A lot of different ways to play the game, but its not as fun if your not in an outfit or team with friends. IT IS VERY DEMANDING, in terms of the amount of time it takes to earn enough points to get a new gear, but keep in mind its possible and unlockable, except for cosmetics which you need to pay. I've played MANY hours then i did with any game. ONLY negatives i like to bring out is that the game feels like a BETA, still a lot of bugs and aren't managed well. Playing this game on high or ultra graphics look outstanding with the amount of players this game holds though. Just keep in mind, MOST of the people complaining are the ones that refuse to pay a dime. Although i do agree if you dont have much time, then it can perhaps get frustrating not having what others already have. Overall though, very great game, just give it sometime, afterall its free. Expand
  31. Jan 6, 2013
    - Pay to Win - Endless Grinding for Cert. Points - Takes up a butt-load of Disk Space and Processing Power - Minorly infested with Speedhackers and Aimbots As a new player, the only thing you can do is merely run towards an enemy, kill him if you are lucky, and then die. You rinse and repeat through this process because you mainly can't even see who is friend and who is foe that early into the game. You die yourself through the game.
    Pick a Sniper - you take like 10 shots to kill somebody, while some enemy Sniper just takes one shot to kill you.
    Pick Light Assault - Enemy's Machine Gun is always better and you die like in 2 shots.
    Pick Heavy Assault - Fire a Rocket right next to the Enemy, no damage. Enemy's Rockets are like Atomic Nukes.

Most negative part about the game is of course, IT IS PAY TO WIN.
    All the guns you can get for Cert. Points? Yeah, you can buy them with Cash.

Planetside 2 is a horrible garbage game that has no intention of ever improving and is just merely a cash-cow for Sony.
  32. Jan 27, 2013
    While the gameplay, graphics and sound are actually quite good, the game is just not suited for any true PvP player because of it's Pay2Win payment model. This may not stand out as much because of the frequent big battles in which the individual player doesn't have a big impact on, but it's still there.

PS2 has it's good moments when playing with several other people over voice comm,
    but that's just not enough for me when I want to play against other people on an equal footing. Expand
  33. Jan 29, 2013
    Awesome looking game, the closest to war you can get on PC. It's amazing to spawn into a fully functioning airbase where there are fighters reloading and air transports loading up troops. The demanding graphics makes sure that the game looks like crap for any setting below high. Gunplay was solid. However game progress is going to be slow if you are not aiming to spend money, if you are aiming to get for example missle pods on aircraft be prepared to grind. Expand
  34. Mar 9, 2013
    The game is really fun but, but it is far from perfect.. It needs more ways to get into combat faster. I do understand that you can spawn vehicles, and being on big maps is part of the fun, seriously. The size isn't the problem. There also should be a variety of gametypes instead of going around and capturing bases. The level design is pretty good. The game is more fun IMO if you are on the losing side. You see enemies more frequent and it gets pretty fast paced when you charge out of your base and attack the enemy.

The shooting mechanics are excellent in PlanetSide 2. I wanted to give it an 8.5)

If I were to rate this on shotting mechanics, it would have a 9/10
  35. May 22, 2013
    this game is the Best f2p online game ever its free to play and isn't really pay2win and has a lot of vechiles and weapons witch has a lot of attachments and with awsome events updates is this the best f2p online game ever
  36. Nov 28, 2012
    NEW PLAYERS: There ARE tutorials on the game's website. They are terrifically helpful. Anyway, this game is certainly not for casual gamers. It is intense, complicated, and most importantly, requires strong teamwork skills. Also, a mic is practically a must. The graphics, while colorful, are very low res in the environment, though player models look decent., and the lighting is beautiful at times. The controls are playable, though players seem to have a slower movement speed than in most FPSes out there. This is compensated by vehicular movement and combat, which can take place at blistering speeds, especially air combat. The most stand-out feature of this game is that it is first and foremost a strategy game played at the FPS level. While you can certainly run around aimlessly shooting bad guys, that behavior is very unlikely to aid in victory. I have been in 48-player platoons as the platoon leader, ordering squads around and reading the map while trying to determine the most tactically advantageous strategy for my platoon to take to secure its objective, and had a blast. Most people follow orders well; it is not like Call-of-Duty, where no one works together and mics stay silent. It is closer to Battlefield, but with way more consistency and no time limits or spawn limits - in other words, supremely tactical. It is not about how many kills you get, it's about whether or not you can successfully attack or defend a position against enemy forces. ******* For those concerned with the micro-transaction method: Of course people who put money into the game are going to have small advantages. The game is free to players, but it certainly was not to the developers. Games don't come out of thin air, and they have to make their money somewhere. I have no problem ponying up some dough to say thank you to the game studio, and neither should anyone else. Show some gratitude with your wallet. ******* Expand
  37. Nov 22, 2012
    The biggest problem with Planetside 2 though is that is commits the cardinal sin of free to play games. Players that pay have a marked advantage over those who don't. Earning enough free credits for basic upgrades is agonizingly slow. If you want to play, expect to pony up some cash up front or be left in the dust.

Now to cover the other problems. Its poorly optimized. The servers
    aren't very good. The game looks bland on max settings. The controls aren't very tight. I've put in about 12 hours now, and every battle ends up being the exact same thing, one team corralling the other team in their base. There's no hope of a mass break out or of winning, yet the game can drag on for hours on end. The lack of any kind of tutorial is frustrating and will surely turn away casual players in droves the first time they're dropped into the middle of an active combat zone.

Players that participated in the beta are at a clear advantage with their knowledge of the maps and classes. New players are mere cannon fodder, which would be fine except for the fact that the learning curve is made steeper by the fact that those players that invested money in the game have an even bigger advantage.

Yes, the scale is impressive, but when it comes to balance and pure fun, Battlefield 3 has it beat hands down. For pure multi-player joy, CoD: Black Ops II is a much better and polished product with moments of grin inducing mayhem. And for those of you PC guys with an Xbox 360, Halo 4 multiplayer stomps PS2.

The game just feels low budget and generic. PS2 would have greatly benefitted if they had simply charged for the game up front instead of nickle and diming players.
  38. Jan 6, 2013
    Where to even begin? Well, it's buggy, laggy, poorly optimized, and completely imbalanced.

"Oh, it's got it's problems, sure," the other reviews say. "But it's all worth it for the huge glorious battles!" Those don't happen. Sure, you'll have ~100 people one one side of the battle, attacking in a giant convoy of vehicles. And they'll dominate the half a dozen brave souls who try to
    defend, rather than joining their attacking teammates. Who are on another continent. Because enemy numbers are lower there.

See, the whole "huge world" thing sounds good on paper, but in actuality it just encourages most people to take the path of least resistance. Battles are always lopsided, and the attackers always win because they have more people.

Now, ignoring all that, let's assume for the moment that this is actually a good game, rather than a bad game. A good game does deserve to be paid for, even if it's a free-to-play that borders on pay-to-win. However, Planetside 2 goes far beyond pay-to-win; it's more like "pay-a-substantial-amount-to-be-good-at-a-single-class-or-vehicle."

In short: complete garbage with no redeeming characteristics. I have nothing good to say about this game.
  39. Jan 2, 2013
    Let's get straight to the point here. PS2 isn't even remotely close to a finished product. As things stand, it's effectively a large scale FPS sandbox in which the primary objective appears to be kill farming. Territorial control is currently borderline meaningless, resources (used to acquire vehicles and consumables) are sufficiently plentiful as to mean you're unlikely to run out, and the need to actually work as a team (as opposed to merely being in the same place as other players) is entirely non-existent. Chuck in the lack of any sort of sense of victory and defeat beyond one's own deaths and the overall feeling that comes along with PS2 is one of "why am I doing this?". So, why give it 5/10 and not a lower mark? Well, it's got potential, and in terms of development SOE have done the "hard bit", so with a bit of effort on SOE's part PS2 could turn into something decidedly compelling and unique over time. Expand
  40. Dec 3, 2012
    I read the first negative review I saw (from bi0mech81) and quite frankly everything the said has no bearing... Im sorry your terrible at playing a average difficulty FPS/MMO but the game cant help you there. Snipers are not a real problem, go heavy and thrown on a shield expose them and kill them. Tanks are what they are for power... they cost an ingame currency to buy to keep players from repeatedly spawning tanks to use. If you spawn in the middle of tank fight as a new person, SPAWN ELSEWHERE since it is actually impossible to have a spawn point ONLY in a battle as every team has a "safe zone" area so you cant be "pushed off" the map. This game is HUGE with thousands of players in a map, if a medic could heal a heavy and keep him alive under fire the game would be incredibly imbalanced. As a medic healing will ALWAYS get you xp if you sustain it to do the other player any good just flashing them a quick heal with your heal gun doesnt help them and hence wont reward you. When I started this game I did spawn into a battle and died a few times but quickly figured most things out. To start my game I went with a heavy player since they have a large clip and a shield to further increase tanking ability. The game is incredibly fun and open, the weapon/armor/vehicles can all be customized with different attachment etc to a depth even better than battlefield. There is a learning curve, it took me probably 3 hours or so to get all of the major gameplay aspects down and I would consider myself an average FPS guy, far from expert. Part of the beauty of a game like this is the sheer numbers required to make big differences in the game, sometimes in a large battle you will get killed with little you can do to prevent it (save hiding) just due to the number of crosshairs pointing back at your large group of soldiers assaulting a particular location. No single player of any skill level can capture a defended zone by himself because the game is so big everything significant will require a sustained effort from many individuals and that makes this game a hell of alot of fun in my opinion. Expand
  41. Jul 27, 2014
    Game can be very fun , and there is nothing that has the scale and scope of battles like it does, but poor netcode and level design favors shotguns, making them very overpowered. Hope you like dying in one shot cause it's gonna happen, a lot.
  42. Nov 30, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 10 to counter balance all the scorers who have given it a 0 cause their machines suck. That being said in reality this game is a solid 8, it has its faults, and can be glitchy at times, but if you are an FPS fan you will get an experience in PS2 that no other game in this generation will be able to touch. It is also NOT pay to win, some the the upgrades in the planes may be a little OP or need a tune, but this isn't anywhere close to being pay to win, so Ignore those idiots as well. Plus how can you give a 0 to something that is FREAKING FREE! Expand
  43. Feb 4, 2013
    This game has a great premise, but unless you wanna shell out money in the cash shop, you'll never get anywhere... I'm all for pay2play, but not pay2win. Plus, getting team killed by frustrated beginners or douchey vets its a pain in the ass; and don't even get me started on the lag... It's not horrible... but it feels like a game thats still in beta.
  44. Nov 23, 2012
    Excellent free 2 play game. Factions (and overall gameplay) are extremely well balanced . Skill always wins over $$. Graphics and performance are good. Epic scale. This is my favorite hardcore mp shooter on the market. Well worth learning how to play if you are up for a challenge.
  45. Apr 25, 2013
    I would like Planetside 2 alot but theres one problem the damn P2W (Pay 2 win) style of gameplay.

Many of you might say it's not a P2W game but in reality it is P2W game because they made collecting in-game money really slow and weapons costs way too lot that you can buy by in-game money.
    Also i found that theres some huge balance problems that in some faction have lots of players and
    other don't on server where you are playing.

About the P2W thing ithat those don't by weapons and items for real money it takes very long to get them unlike people that buys weapons and items for real money they can get really good stuff on low lever that helps alot.
    For example, if there 2 players on 1 VS 1 and both low level players on same class, the other guy have the basic weapons and items that you can get from start of the game and other guy buys weapons and items for real money from start, the guy that buys weapons and items for real money owns the guy that don't buy weapons and items for real money unlike the other guy with starting weapons and items don't have any chance to kill that guy.
    So it force you buy weapons and items for real money to win 1 VS 1 fights other then that you need always have 1-3 teammates with you even fights turn out be 2-4 vs 1.

But there was something good about this game and that was 2000 players each server, really big maps, really good looking graphics for F2P game, Controlls are almost perfect.

Also not forget that sometimes the server balance is so bad you end up fighting like 20 enemys at same time own base where is only 2-5 own team mates and sometimes you and up fighting all 20 enemys alone.

After i found Planetside 2 be alot pay 2 win style of game then i just stoped playing it and not waste of my time for collecting in-game money that you can collets very long time for single weapon.
  46. Nov 20, 2012
    COMPACT REVIEW FOR TLDR: Planetside 2 will not run on 'standard' systems easily. Planetside 2 is everything that it said it is (FPS,MMO,RPG,Free Roam,Very Customizable,Huge Battles). It is free so try it, and don't downgrade it because your system is not up to date. It is made to play with groups of buddies, but fun either way. The Graphics are awesome. The game is not played for story. It is 100% pvp. There are tanks, apcs, atv, and futuristic aircraft you can fly + more. SOE is not amazing, but these devs are funny and put time into what they do. I have only given 3 or so games a 9/10 in my life, this game is one of them. Expand
  47. Dec 1, 2012
    The first few hours you play this game, you'll most likely be very frustrated. Once you figure out where things are, and how the world works. You'll have a great time, and It's unbelievable how well this game handles mass scale battles (300+ people in a small area).

Getting is a squad/platoon of people who actually communicates, and work together, can make for some insanely fun online times.
  48. Jan 14, 2013
    Having seen many negative reviews I was expecting a very flawed game. But on the contrary, I found Planetsi
    de 2 to be a very enjoyable game. And its free!
    I found the gun mechanics of the game very nice. The scale of it is amazing, specially when there are enough people in the server and 2 "zergs" clash. If that doesnt happen you might be facing boring moments, but these are avoidable
    most of the time. And seeing those huge battles is amazing. When I started the game I decided to play as medic to learn the game. I was expecting to get a crappy default gun and not being able to kill anyone. Not at all! Default gun (TR) was great. I found out the infantry gameplay very balanced. The things you purchase with Cert points (gained through experience) dont make such a huge difference, they are very cheap upgrades at first and there are plenty of ways to get constant (yet slow) stream of experience doing many different actions, not just plain killing. You get nearly the same ammount of exp for reviving a teammate as for killing someone. Who kills who in infantry gameplay is generally determined by a mixture of tactics and luck. Want some kills? Flank the enemy And if theres enough people in the server and you know the basics you can get to the frontline with no waiting time since there is generally always a mobile span point placed that will get you right into action.

Now for the cons. First of all the game definetely lacks a tutorial. You can spend a lot of time reading beginners guides in the internet before you start and still you will be completely clueless for a couple of hours until you learn the basics.
    The optimization is horrible. But hey once I set the graphics to look like a game from a decade ago the game runs with perfect fps even in huge battles so thats great. I dont really care about graphics so much anyway as long as the fps is nice.
    Strategical and teamplay is not encouraged and unless you are in an outfit it is generally nonexistent. This is generally mitigated by the fact that there are so many people but not that much. So generally fighting will be a mass of people behaving like cattle. So try to find a friend or join an outfit or otherwise you will be very dissappointed with your teamamtes. And resources are so abundant that no one really cares what gets captured or not.
    One of the things that I liked most about this game was that it was free and to my surprise there was not a huge advantage to people that payed real money ... in infantry combat. People who pay get great advantages when using tanks or aircraft. You can see aircraft completely wiping out masses of infantry or vehicles while these cant do much against them. I just hope the developers now dont leave things as they are and strive to balance the game and encourage teamplay. If they do it could get to be a great game. But the game right now is very enjoyable for most of the time.
  49. Nov 21, 2012
    I am not quite sure what everyone is talking about with in game bugs as I have not experienced any game breaking ones over the course of my play time thus far, at least nothing worth giving this game a 0.... The only inexcusable bug would be the total lack of optimization for AMD based processors... I am lucky enough to have had a Intel/Nvidia based system so it runs beautifully for me. I did not play Planetside 1 so I have nothing to base this game on but as it stands I have never played a FPS MMO that is this engaging. I can almost RP in this game, patrolling, guarding, attacking, infiltrating, outposts and small bases on my own. And the sheer volume of players in the large skirmishes on the map is mind boggling. If you have never played the first one and have an Intel Based System give it a shot! Its like no other FPS you have played.. If you are familiar with the first Planetside game you might be a tad disappointed in this one. And since it is free what is there to lose? Bandwidth? Try it out either way your not losing anything.... AMD users wait for a patch. Expand
  50. Nov 25, 2012
    It's a decent shooter. Has a sense of Battlefield 3 injected with armored steroids with it. The factions are somewhat balanced: I played all three factions during the beta and kept a stable K:D for all of them. The New Conglomerate guns do a little bit of work though. Large scale battles allow you to choose from multiple sites to play from, and you have a variety of vehicles to fight with, if that's what you prefer. There are three major problems in my opinion: 1) It's not player friendly. There is no handson tutorial that shows you what to really do. You are literally dropped onto the middle of the battlefield hoping you know what to do and who's who. 2) The cert grind (which allows you to unlock new weapons) is a big grind. An average player can get around 50-80 certs per hour if they're in active battlefields, but you need to play a few of those hours to unlock one weapon. You also have the opportunity cost of saving those certs and just buying Station Cash, each weapon costing $3-$7. That's not a bad price compared to other games where perm weapons are $25+, but this is per character only so caveat. 3) The biggest problem of them all: THE STABILITY. There are times where your whole screen flashes rapidly, risking problems prone to seizure. The stability of the servers during peak hours are horrible. Players will jump around and phase in and out, making it almost impossible to actually hit them. There have been reports on some large servers that grenades, vehicles, and explosives dont actually explode. Abilities won't work. Granted, this game just came out and it's been pretty popular so far, but it really needs some work on the stability side. Outposts are currently being worked on to have a more defensive fortress type layout instead of "whack-a-mole" location system, so that's another plus. Expand
  51. Nov 25, 2012
    The Game:

Planetside 2 has the potential to be a great game marketed as a Freep2Play game there are a huge number of issues and if you really want every weapon you will have to shell out a whopping 400 USD for every weapon + subscription that costs you 15$ a month.

Air: huge pay2win advantage (People who pay real money get rocket pods and AA rockets which are both overpowered hard)

Tanks: mild pay2win (Regular tanks are hugely competetive and pay2win is almost non existant here.)
    Infantry: mild to high (Free2play guns are super effective but you do gain some advantages with paid guns)

All in all i won't be playing this for a long time because it's based on such a blatant model,I mean seriously 7$ for a gun.

The GamePlay: Planetside 2 has it's charm,it's a fun game I admit but there's a big number of glitches,none of the game-breaking just annoying at times.The class system is well thought out and the upgrades are reasonable.The maps are huge and it's fairly balanced with some discrepancies here and there.

Conclusion:

All in all a descent game 7/10 but with the pay2win model it's really not the game for the intermediate-hardcore gamer this is a game for 9-5 person who has 2-3 hours to play and a lot of spare cash (kids,job people)
    As a hardcore gamer I can say this is not a game for me,but I recommend you to try it and if you have an extra 400$ over a year to really enjoy it. I prefer my games in the 50$ area.
  52. Dec 13, 2012
    The best part about about PS2 is the epic scale of combined arms warfare. It still takes my breath away to watch dozens of tanks exchanging fire in the field while aircraft and bombers blaze in the sky above and hundreds of infantry blasting each other in a beautiful persistent world ALL AT THE SAME TIME. You just can't get that with any other game out there today. POSITIVE: It's free to play. The developers are actually talking to the players and changing the game based on player suggestions which is very rare these days. Just a few days ago a patch got released which added lots of new content that players were asking for.

NEGATIVE: Having played through the whole beta, I was very disappointed that a lot bugs and faction balance issues are still not fixed in the live version. A lot of continents and weapons from the original Planetside 1 didn't make it to launch. However, it's free to play so I don't have to waste money until they fix the problems . You also will need a decent PC to play the game until performance optimization will be adjusted in future patches.

I was going to give PS2 a 9 score but the game got released way too early for obvious SOE $$$ reasons so I bumped the score down to 7. I'm confident that the game will only get better over time.
  53. Dec 26, 2012
    PS2 get tops marks for innovation, something that is rare in today's market. They also get pretty good marks for execution. This is war on a grand scale. It's hard to pick faults. The game itself is free. Despite what some people say it doesn't feel like a play to win model. Yes the certs (ingame reward currency) take a long time to accumulate to unlock items but apart from guns, there is not actually that much that can be bought to make a real difference on the battlefield and nothing that you couldn't eventually unlock with certs anyway.

For a game that has just launched the balance feels excellent (apart from rocket pods decimating infantry too easily *shakes fist*). I've seen the odd aim botter but when you spot them it's very obvious and you can /report them.

This game really shines when you find a good squad, with a leader who is setting objectives and even some voice communication and coordination going. There is nothing like a few squads supported by air and amour assets rolling into a bio lab to crush the opposition.

Give it a whirl.
  54. Jan 25, 2013
    The scale of the game and the sheer excitement of being in an epic battle will have you smiling ear to ear. Fantastic game, great graphics and well balanced. Way more fun if you are playing with friends though and my only gripe is that I played it about 15-20 hours and felt a bit burnt out after and have yet to go back to it. Its F2P though so it honestly deserves a chance from everyone who enjoys shooters. Expand
  55. Feb 4, 2013
    If you have someone to play this with or a group of people than its one of the most enjoyable games, however if your caught alone game-play gets a bit repetitive. On a side note there's no real tutorial or way to learn the game, unless you have a friend that plays it. It basically forces you to use vehicles outside the bases because of all the tanks that normally roam around.
  56. Feb 11, 2013
    This game, Planetside 2 is hands down the best free to play game I have ever played. It is an amazingly huge game with astonishingly large landmasses and varied lands and environments to wage all out intense, thrilling, and immersing war in. You can play as one of three factions all with their own quirks. The game play has a lot of depth, and it may take a while to get used to. You can take control of many different kinds of vehicles. From light and agile air crafts to strong and bulky tanks. There are three continents you will wage war over, with a total of two thousand soldiers on a server. There are no matches or loading screens, how power fluctuates is dependent on how well your team fights. Oh, did I mention the graphics for this game are simply amazing? If you're skeptical, you should just download and try this gem. It is free to play so you have nothing to lose. Beware of the learning curve though. The game takes getting used to, so I suggest looking up some tutorials on Youtube. Expand
  57. Mar 5, 2013
    Pointlessly overcomplicated Noob killing fest. Let's start, that my experience on online shooters ranges from the early-early Desert Combat games, all the way to BF3. I'm not really into the MMORPG, but for this review, doesn't need any.
    So, let's start with the positives. I like the idea. I like the ambitious effort and pushing the envelope to make online shooters progress to new,
    uncharted territories. I like the idea of giant battlefields and mixture of doing different things at once. I also like the seems to be endless upgrades and making the players progress somewhere, let that be new weapons, outfits, vehicles and higher ranks. All these are all present but a diamond in a rough form in Planetside 2. Here comes my rant. I can understand the fact, that after a while everyone gets a grip of what is going on and how to read the map and figure out how to upgrade etc. But I'm afraid, it may be too late by then, since the immediate impression will turn off many, before they would start become interesting. Lacking any tutorials, or perhaps off-line maps with bots would help a lot. Almost all games we play including shooters- has some sort of an introduction into the mechanics and/or a walk through in real-time (not youtube videos!) In other words The game is making every newbie UNWELCOME. 1. Sign up; choose your passwords; pick a class; pick a side
    2. Get dropped into the battlezone and get shot dead.
    3. Try different things; run around the map; be confused about many things, get shot dead within a few minutes. 4. Rinse and repeat step 2 and 3 for a while. ...
    Problems right off from the first impression: I. The mini map is utterly confusing and pointlessly over complicated to a point, where it isn't even functioning as a map. Congested and displaying all sorts of stuff not really useful, or just simply too much. I'm not sure if it can be customized or not, I haven't found the option yet, which I would assume most newbie neither. II. The whole design of the large deployment map. I'm trying to figure out, if there are any differences between the middle; the corners and between, regarding what buildings/terrain/objectives variations there are, but after 9-10 hours of gameplay, it all looks like a photoshop pattern of basically repeating features and buildings. Actually, giving in a thought, they could have used 1/4 of the size of the maps, since it doesn't really matter when you get dropped into the fight zone, you know exactly what buildings you gonna find and you just gonna follow to find the power generators and the capture points. There isn't a memorable location, since you won't be able to memorize much, but you will know exactly what is what. III. Upgrades. There seems to be unlimited number of upgrades, but they all seem to be unreachable for those, who doesn't want to spend a bucket load of money. I leave that right there.
    IV. Balance. Many game in similar category gives the players the chance to familiarize themselves with the game, so they usually give the option of servers, based on experience level. We could have novice, intermediate and pro servers, just for this purpose. They could have made the game, that a newbie could enjoy a pro-server, but count on being the cannon fodder, but perhaps reward his bravery by making him gain exp. points faster, than on a noob server. Same deal in reverse. Pro player joining with high hopes of mass murdering the noobs, would end up not gaining much, perhaps revoke their super-duper maxed out equipment and make them fight with the basic given weapon and outfit. Or perhaps "ship" the pro players to a new planet or continent, where they face off similar high-level pro players. But no. Instead pro players seem to be mass-r.ping the newbies to gain more exp. points. Basically the game rewards those, who rather play like bullies, while leaving the newcomer in the dust. It may sound fun, if you got the equipment, but eventually it will destroy the game on the long run. Why? Because new people won't be joining, and old pro-players may just move on to whatever newer game come out in the near future. Eventually the servers will be abandoned to a point, where you gonna have these giant maps and only 10-20 people playing instead of 100. V. No real rewards. Weapons, outfits, masks, optics, extra ammo all sounds great, but what's the point? You gonna be doing the same thing with them over and over! What happened to rewards given to teams? Or what about giving rewards for platoons and factions, who conquered half of the map? What's good about having 3/4 of the map conquered compared to only half or 1/4 of it? Nothing. There should be team/platoon/squad based experiences given. How about a tactical nuke, or ability to call in airstrikes, indirect/direct artillery or orbital strike? Just some ideas. As of right now, this game is still just a newbie-hostile beta test, with missing objectives and limited real feel of progress.
  58. Jan 2, 2014
    This game wow, 9/10. Always have an absolute blast when I play this game. Game is admiringly beautiful and freakin' huge. Only thing I don't like about this game is the progression speed, takes way to long to unlock a new weapon, not only that but none of your gun progression can be used in other classes which kind of sucks. There is a payment option to quicken that or buy other stuff like armour. But this game isn't a pay to win. All guns and classes are perfectly balanced. Nothing is OP in this game, if there is, thank god I wasn't abused by it. Overall, great game, it's free so why not Expand
  59. May 17, 2013
    I've been having a lot of fun in Planetside 2. There is no other shooter of this scope on the market. With vehicles, weapons, and terrain galore, this game truly feels like war. 2000 players on a giant single continent fighting each other with tanks, planes, bombers, etc, etc? Cmon, have you seen anything more awesome? There are so many things to do! My favorites are flying a fighter jet, flanking enemy platoons with a dune buggy, and raking up kills as an engineer. I find the game as enjoyable solo as when playing in a squad. If you get bored of one playstyle, there's a plethora of other options to try.

That said, the game isn't perfect. While SOE is doing a great job (in my opinion) of ironing out bugs (compare the game at launch and now!) and adding new content (the Harasser FAV just came out, the lattice system is coming out with the next update), there are balance issues, occasional server-side lag, and numerous small quirks that need to be addressed. But I am happy to know that the developers are on top of it. Future content is also very exciting.

Oh, and the game is free to play. It's a AAA title with high production values and you don't have to drop a penny into it if you don't want to (there are various things that can be purchased with money, such as XP boosts and cosmetics to make your character stand out, but that's entirely optional). There's absolutely no excuse why you shouldn't give PS2 a try!
  60. Jun 5, 2013
    The game had some flaws at release, but the development team is really dedicated on making the game better!
    The games teamwork mechanic and gun play are both really fun!

I'm looking forward to what this game turns into in the future, and I love playing it!
  61. Mar 27, 2014
    I sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amount of players on your team is totally random. The lack of killcam promotes camping, and there's no strategy required once you've found a corner to spam from. The entire game feels unfinished and soulless, only play this if you're a call of duty fan with no regard for well-crafted game design. Expand
  62. Nov 16, 2013
    Planetside 2 is a game that would obviously get ALOT of hate. Its not made for everyone and thats easy to see after about 10 hours of gameplay.

Like games such as Team Fortress 2, Natural Selection 2 and Mount & Blade: Warband, the first few hours of Planetside are incredibly hard and frustrating due to the highly experienced community. The way the games works is also very hard to get
    used to. If you aren't enjoying the game after about 8-10 hours then you might as well stop playing, if not then you will most likely be having an amazing time.

The graphics, controls, mechanics, and pretty much everything in this is outstanding. The only negative thing I have against the game is the fact that you will have to spare about 30 mintues to about an hour to play a decent game and, unless you have a friend to play with, it gets pretty boring after a while.

Its fun and you might as well download the free-to-play title, as you may enojy it very much.
  63. Dec 11, 2013
    A brilliant game, smooth mechanics a good progression system and the best thing? one word SCALE it elevates the game to a epic level of brilliance. Also unbelievably it's FREE GET IT NOW
  64. Jan 11, 2014
    The original learning curve was a pain in the ass. But, now, because SOE has listened to the people who have the potential to give them money, they added links to tutorials right in the launcher. Honestly, the alerts are not all that fun. They turn the game from strategy to just masses of people in a tiny spot and COD.

Each update provides... problems with balance. If you want to have
    an easy time before getting in to the whole "shoot before getting shot" idea, go for a medic position, or an engineer driving a sunder/medium battle tank. You get certs like crazy from healing or repairing, and sunderer spawns get you a massive amount of experience, for parking a bus.

Also, an important fact is that each faction is suited to a certain type of play style. The NC is for people who like doing lots of damage, without using a lot of ammo. They require you to be fairly accurate, and account for bullet drop on the spot, or go CQC.

TR is mostly for COD players, where they move quickly, and spam bullets. After all, they have the fastest firing weapons in the game. Their real strength seems to lie within their airforce, as they are incredibly fast compared to any others, and dodge most small arms fire.

The Vanu have the best accuracy and very little bullet drop, if any. However, their weapons just don't do enough damage if you don't aim. Their weapons are best suited to medium range combat, where you don't need to worry so much about getting hit by the NC, and the TR are even less accurate.

I have problems with running this game on older computers, as I seem to get ~30 FPS on an ATI Radeon HD 5570, but it is still more than playable.

I honestly think there are so many scenarios, you should try the game out. The download time is worth it, I promise :)
  65. Nov 21, 2012
    Bugs, screen flickering, graphical distortions and lag issues make this an horrible experience. This game feels rushed and unfinished which seems strange because of the lengthy beta.

I will try it out again over a month i think. Maybe after some patching up these issues will be resolved.
  66. Mar 9, 2013
    Really loved this game when it first came out. The persistent world, the graphics and I found it ran smoothly. However, it felt repetitive, without a sense of finale. The gunplay doesn't match up to other FPS I enjoy. Also not a huge fan of the credit of monetization model. I did purchase some weapons to give some support to the devs and for free or however much you want to pay the game is great value. Expand
  67. Nov 25, 2012
    Not the best game, but definitely the most fun game. Actually I take that back, it's the best game.

Where is the 9.5 rating? I'll take away .5 for somewhat limited meta-game and vehicle options at release; however this is coming as the devs stated.

Massive battles.. nothing like it. All PC gamers need to give their time/money to this fantastic game.
  68. Jan 17, 2013
    Never played PlanetSide but heard wonderful things about it. Gave this a try while seeking something to replace Tribes Ascend. Needless to say the game did not live up to the hype. The gorgeous sprawling environments do not make up for a complete and utter lack of direction as it pertains to basic objectives within the game. Having logged a few hours I can say with reasonable certainty that I have no idea who is on what team, why they're all shooting at each other, or even if we are winning. Confusion of this level is only compounded by the terrible vehicle controls, counterintuitive interfaces at terminals, and frustrating lack of instruction regarding basic class advantages and disadvantages. I have no doubt that all of this will see its way into a future patch (should the game survive long enough) but one has to wonder why PlanetSide 2 was released at all as it is so obviously unfinished. Expand
  69. Nov 27, 2012
    Gameplay wise the game is great. Sure there may be some balance issues especially concerning the infantry vs vehicles part, but in general it plays very nicely. Battles lasting through day and night cycles are something I've personally enjoyed the most. But there are some problems not related to the gameplay itself that prevent the game from being truly good. The first one is the last of ANY tutorial, lack of ANY explanation of what all the icons means, lack of ANY objective information for the player which left me simply disoriented for first few hours. Sure, once you figure it out, the game becomes much better, but seriously I'm probably not the only one with this problem considering a very small subset of players who actually follows the objectives rather than mindlessly shoot each other. The second, and in my opinion - much more important - issue is the F2P model. The game was being advertised as not being Pay2Win game, which after a couple of hours becomes an obvious lie. Everything in game starting with abilities, weapons, mods, vehicle stuff, cosmetics, etc. is unlocked with a single currency you gain while playing the game. Now the problem is that on average you make about 25-30 credits per hour (about 1 credit per 4 kills) and upgrading a single perk to max level costs about 1500 credits - that's about 60 hours of gameplay for one perk on a single class on a single character. New weapon? No problem, 700-1000 credits + 200 credits for the mods. As you can see fully unlocking a single class takes about an eternity. This means that you end up buying weapons for 7-9$ each which is yet another misunderstood implementation of the MICROtransactions model. If this was a $60 priced title it would score at least 8 (because of the lack of initial tutorial and some game balance issues), but thanks to the greedy, falsely advertised payment model the rating does down to 3. Expand
  70. Dec 6, 2012
    This is the best free FPS I have ever played. If your looking for a shooter and your tired of COD and BF3 you should definitely give this game a try. : )
  71. Jan 2, 2013
    The PS2 isn't to bad for a F2P. Graphics are... ok could be better but whatever and they are doing pretty good with bug fixes. Big battles are pretty fun I have to say. I do hope they change a few things. Sometimes it just feels like you just zerg areas and why not they don't really reward you for defending a point. Why would you defend a point other than to just shoot enemies. Now if lets say point A would give you the ability to spawn air craft (like the 1st PlanetSide) unlike now when you can do it from day one. I think maybe the battles would be more... meaningful? Or maybe just boasts like extra ammo or faster travel speeds? Also the constant Nerf to items (IE hill climb which I don't know if its broken or a Nerf to he honest) Yes I know it happens but they should refund cert if that do major changes like this. Maybe I'm just not a F2P kinda gamer. But for a F2P game it's a good time with friends. Expand
  72. May 29, 2014
    There is a buy message on every screen where they want you to spend your money, there are guns for sale, voice packs for sale, camos for sale, decals for sale and all kinds of other useless crap for sale. There is also a membership for sale and this membership gives you discounts on items so that you can buy even more! Avoid this or chargeback everything you've spend on this game and buy a new game with the money. Expand
  73. Nov 22, 2013
    So this game is addicting, but is definitely more fun with others. Although it is bugged and alot of times that gets you killed, it is still fun. They really need to fix a lot, when there are a TON of people playing you can barely get into the game if at all. Since the optimization patch, the performance of the game has been much better but there is way more to be desired such as weapon equilization and distance rendering. I find it utterly ridiculous that you can be shot out of the sky by aa that you cant even see. I know its free but the weapons and gear you buy is extremely overpriced. 7 dollars for pretty much every weapon is crap especially if it doesnt carry over to all you characters no matter the faction. (such as vehicle weapons that arent faction specific i.e halberd, m60, liberator weapons etc. I shouldnt have to pay 7 dollars for a weapon for every faction of character. There are plenty more upsides than downsides for sure but this game, as with any other, has many flaws. Overall it is definitely a game worth playing especially with a group of friends. Expand
  74. Nov 28, 2012
    Planetside 2 is truly a groundbreaking idea - however the current state of the game could be better described as open beta rather than a final release. Although the game is extremely fun in the odd chance it is running without problems you will often find yourself frustrated with extremely buggy gameplay, a horrid framerate, and unstable servers. You will find your jet packs not working, or you will find yourself dying from taking an innocent boost to a landing pad, or nobody will be moving and you will get shot through walls due to lag and extrapolation, or you will find tanks floating in mid air, or your VOIP won't work like it does not work for a big population of players, or you will find your current generation super computer can't pull more than 20fps in big battles. With all these problems this game does not deserve a positive score, no matter how much I would like to give it one.

I will revisit this review in two months by when hopefully this game will leave the open beta stage.
  75. Dec 15, 2012
    New player experience is horrible in this game. No tutorial, no training grounds, nothing. You just spawn in the middle of a warzone having no idea what the objectives are or how to achieve them. While you try to figure out how the game works you keep getting killed over and over. Worst first impression ever. For me, this is indicative of an unfinished product. Uninstalled after 20 minutes. I'll check back when it's a complete game and not a torso. Expand
  76. Jan 21, 2013
    Epic battles in an epic environment, with day and night cycle, feels like an MMO since there are no "rounds", its a persistent world in war. It gives you the choice to engage in big battles, small battles, or maybe camp in the nearby mountains sniping from a far? You choose. Best Battlefield I ever played.
  77. Jan 8, 2013
    One greatest MMOs out there. It makes you feel like an absolute badass when you roll out with an army of tanks and obliterate the bases. I also am deeply in love with the creators of this game, because they aren't money-sucking whores like most MMO creators. It's pretty simple to get the currency needed to buy stuff, this game is the only true free-to-play game around probably. But anyway, this game is all-round really fun. Expand
  78. Jan 29, 2013
    Oh. God. The. Bugs. 2/4 times I have played this the game glitches on respawn, the whole world becomes this half transparent mess were you can no longer see buildings or cover and requires a complete computer restart to fix. When the game does run it still has major problems. I managed to get enough cert points for the longest range sniper scope in the game. Turns out its completely unusable because the world draw distance is shorter then distance the scope zooms to making the scope completely useless. Iv been in fights were I see our teammates dieing, I zoom in on my scope from the rear of the fight and see absolutely nothing. but when I move to the front of the fight suddenly an entire army appears. An army I should have easily been able to see from my elevated snipeing spot behind our lines. Iv played Alpha Builds that had less bugs then this "finished" game. Expand
  79. Oct 30, 2014
    I am not a fan of MMOs or FPSs, but this combines the two to create something awesome, although I would appreciate it if I didn't have to keep entering my username and password. Just do a login through Steam.
  80. Apr 3, 2014
    Amazing game. Huge battles including 200 soldiers on one side and 200 more on the other side. There is a lack of tutorial ingame but you can find a lot of helpful videos in youtube. Every update makes this game even better.
  81. Nov 12, 2013
    Never ending wars with hundreds of players on three diverse groups on three different, massive continents. What else? Oh yeah, it's free! If you can run this game, play it! Be anything: from a silent, patient sniper picking off enemy forces from great distances, to being a pilot, massacring ground forces and dog fighting enemy pilots! Join one of three major military groups and even join communities of players in outfits! Play Now! Expand
  82. May 26, 2014
    Pros: Fast gameplay and epic battles. You really can't ask for more out of a free to play game. Great game community. Can be addictive as your job is never truly done in game. No single weapon dominates in all fights. Fight on the ground as one of 5 classes or take to the air in one of 3 types of air units or grab one of several ground units from a two person four wheeler to a 12 person personal carrier. There is now lack of vehicle options in game.

Cons: Suffers from a lack of Meta game. You will find far to many people grinding kills instead of attempting to gain continent control for your faction. This can be frustrating for the true team player yet does not affect solo play as much. Game updates often feel untested prior to launch but are quickly repaired. Learning curve can be a little high so It is recommended to group up with one of the many outfits in game for a helping hand.
  83. Jun 23, 2014
    This game is Not Free to play its pay to win. Imagine the worst grinding game you have ever played x10
    cost nearly 400 dollars to unlock all upgrades and guns would probably take a free player 10 years.
  84. Sep 27, 2014
    Played this game for like 3 weeks, so I dont consider a hardcore player. On the other hand, I played a lot of games (F2P and normal). This game isnt bad, but there are some drastic flaws, that take it down. First of all, there is the cost of everything. You can modify ANYTHING but it cost an arm and a leg. You can either buy it by money, which is quite expensive in comparison with other shooters, or you can play and collect in-game points and buy it for them. This approach takes loooong time. You usually get like 2 points for 3 kills, capturing a base gives you about 3-7 and some better gun costs 1000 points without any scopes, forward grips and so on. Plus you have tons of personal skills and equipments that cost a lot, you have vehicles that can be modified and cost a lot, some leadership skills that cost a lot... so I guess in like 10 years of playing, you can have maxed character, if you dont sleep and eat.
    One of the most frustrating aspect of the game are vehicles. Take an average mobile spawn point (sunderer). Its like a slightly armored trailer. You can shoot it like 6 times with AT missile, throw AT grenades at it, drop C4 at it, and it will still be ok. The reality is somewhere else, I assure you that if you hit some vehicle like this with an anti tank missile, it will blow it to dust. The same goes for tanks, you simply cannot smash tanks, if the driver is careful, he will simply back off behind the nearest hill, repair, and comes back. The amount of missiles that tank takes is completely unrealistic.
    Aircraft is the same problem, there are no real anti aircraft weapons, only max suits (that cost a lot), some vehicle modifications (that cost also a lot) and missile launchers (that are usually ineffective or cost a lot). If the pilot is good, he can overwhelm the base, killing people right when they peek a nose from a spawnpoint.
    Due to its points distribution, the game doesnt force you to focus on objectives, the simple killing is way more advantageous and brings more points. That is a complete failure of game mechanics, usually if you defend a base, you get far less points, then if you just roam the terrain and kill random people.
    Some classes and races are drastically overpowered, for example infiltrator with stalker cloak and powerful gun (usually cant be found and almost always win 1-on-1), engineer and vehicle combo (especially harrasser - gets thrashed a little, rides off, repairs, comes back, with its speed its nearly unhitable), Vanu at night (invisible) and so on.
    Game design is quite strange, some continents have few places that are memorable (like gigantic crater on Indar), other are totally generic and repetitive.
    Movement is frustrating, you will find yourself unable to climb 45°hill often, meaning you have to run around and look for a path. Plus the map is often useless, you find yourself running around looking for stairs to get to the point and so on.
    The last thing I found quite unpleasant was the simple "there is more of us" mechanic – usually the side with more people win, no matter what. The only way out of this is to focus on destroying mobile spawnpoints, but as I mention, they can take unbelievable amount of beating and often get repaired quicker than you can load the rockets into AT gun.
    All and all, this game would need drastic changes to make it at least good game, now its bellow average and is probably meant only for people with lots of money or hardcore players that want to spend the next few years wasting their time maxing their characters and vehicles.
  85. Nov 19, 2013
    Played it a bit when it first came out, but got bored with it fairly quickly. Took a long time to get to any real combat. Once you finaly got there it all just didn't feel very fun or exciting.

Then just for the heck of it i tried it again a few weeks ago. This is a decision i do not regret.. The game has improved massively since i last played it. The gameplay is fun and challenging.

This game is what Battlefield was. A TEAM PLAYER game. You don't win anything by playing alone. You win by working as a team. That's where the game shines most. The teamwork.. You can have amazing fun and epic battles when battles are led by commanders that know their tactics. And squads work together.
    If you expect to play this by yourself as you would Battlefield 3. You might aswell head back to that, cause you won't find this fun.

It takes time to get better gear in this game. You can't play for a couple of days and expect to have unlocked 7 new guns and 15 new attachments. You earn Certs as you play the game and with these you can buy new weapons, attachments, vehicle upgrades and upgrades for your Individual classes.
    If you want the better gear, you gotta play longer to get the Certs to buy it. It is not a pay to win game. You can do just fine playing without paying. Though if you are impatient, you will find that it helps, buying a premium account. You really don't need to though. You will find that just buying a grip for you gun for 100 certs/5 good hours of playtime, will show huge improvements. Though it will take a long time to get certs enough for the best gear.
  86. Dec 9, 2012
    approach with caution.
    Not a bad fps, but its got faults. Its very zergtastic, you wont often get into big battles, people just endlessly zerg undefended bases. And whilst there is supposedly pop control, there is no population balance on continents, meaning that each continent tends to eb dominated by one faction.
    Air is stupidly overpowered, and ground based AA is pathetic. And cert
    prices for weapons is very very steep. It is bordering on P2W.

However, if you can get a decent infantry battle going on in a Tech/amp/biolab or such, then this game shines. but endemic hacks is ruining it right now, speed hacks, wall hacks, aimbots....and no anti-hack program to stop it.

Couldbe a great game, but SOE need to get a handle on balance and hacks asap.
  87. Nov 21, 2012
    In a genre that doesn't see an awful lot of games (good ones at that) Planetside 2 sure is a fresh breath of air for me. The choice to go Free 2 Play certainly doesn't hurt the playercount on the large continental maps that SOE have coughed up.

Visually the game has the potential to be great - On par with many modern day shooter if applied a few tweaks to unlock the "Ultra Settings".

The gameplay (the most important aspect of course) is great. Once you join an Outfit (clan) in the game and start playing in groups, you'll really see where PS2 shines. Planning coordinated strikes using a large selection of vehicles and capture (back) bases that are critical to your advance on the enemy.

There is still plenty of room for improvement - continents that aren't "square" shaped being one of my bigger gripes (and the complete lack of water on the playable battlefield), bugs in the marketplace module of the game and various launch day bugs that will hopefully be squashed soon enough.

Final Verdict: 9

Because the game is rather unique in its presentation, it has a dedicated dev team backing it and it shows great potential if nurtured - this may well become the single largest MMOFPS on the market in its lifespan.
  88. Dec 2, 2012
    Planetside 2 is an ambitious FPS. Unfortunately it suffers from a high system requirements (don't even bother unless you have a 64 bit OS), laggy servers and unfriendly user interface. The lack of tutorials will hobble new players and the demanding system requirements will hamper your gameplay. If you do have a 64 bit OS on the other hand, it is fun...when the servers work. If you have a 32 bit OS, avoid. Expand
  89. Nov 21, 2012
    Unoptimized beta. Bugs.
    Don't get me wrong, every software has bugs but how can you release a game in beta stage? I sank into the ground 3 times for less than 1 hour. Just an example of what kind of bugs you will come across.
    I like the idea of the game I'm looking forward to play it but please, Sony... Before you release a game make sure doesn't have at least trivial bugs.
  90. Dec 9, 2012
    I'm not enitrely sure of the words to sum this game up. Ambitious, yes. Technically brilliant, yes. Amazing idea, certainly. But there are also other words that apply. Boring, buggy, overrated, uninspiring, underachieving, poorly reviewed by 'critics' (as always) and rage inducingly unfair. This is a free2play game, so some might say being overly negative isn't appropriate. I disagree however, the game is still an income source and therefore should be revealed as it is, an image different to that shouted out by the masses it would appear.
    Positives- The big battles. This, apart from ambition, is the only thing I can find good here. When hundreds of people actually bother to attack a target instead of pretending to be lone rangers the action gets intense, tactical and most importantly, fun. It's also important to note the technical achievement. Que applause. The Negatives- Where to start? People. They kill this, ironically. The forums are a hotbed of rather pathetic trolls and juvenile kiddies. Ask a question, expect 9 trolls, 6x10-7 flamers and 1 genuine answer. F2PNewbs. In game, team killing is common, and rather annoying. It is a good concept to add, but nobody bothers where they land/drive/walk. They then complain and revenge team kill because they can't accept their mistake. Coordination is also particularly hard if you aren't in an outfit, as everybody disappears or gives up halfway through battles. I'm forever suddenly finding myself alone in the middle of an enemy base because nobody can be arsed to drive another few sundy's up, or spawn a tank. The much hyped big battles are cool, but so rare that anyone who isnt blinded by a shiny new game will instantly realise the game's main point isn't so 'main'. Flying is dame near impossible. Even if you make it out of the spawn area, good luck mastering the controls before you're shot down. They make absolutely no sense whatsoever to anyone who's ever flown a real plane, or a simulator, or even ace combat. Health intrigues me. Countless time in my play testing, both in beta and the 1.0 release I have flanked and shot AFK's at the enemy rear. One clip later they turn and headshot you. Clearly a bug, but an extremely common one, unfortunately. The same occurs during firefights, I've emptied whole clips into individuals (and hit, flamers) and they still kill me with a 1 second burst when I pursue them. Weapons. Or water pistols, whichever you prefer. They all look the same, sound the same and do puny amounts of damage to the rather large health bars. I haven't once felt like I've been carrying a real weapon, even in a hugely overpowered MAX. Bugs. I couldn't even begin to list them, there are far to many. Learning curve. Point and shoot isnt hard. Abilities, flying, deploying tactics etc. are never explained and rather backwards in their implementation. Anti-air is useless. You can sit on the crowns top level shooting away all day and probably get only one or two kills. Fighters are too fast to hit, defeating the purpose of anti-air as MAX's and tanks can hit the galaxy's better than turrets. Direction. There is none, and as previously said, rarely do people actually attack en masse.

Conclusion-
    Whilst this game has potential, it is killed by these factors:
    -People(kiddies) thinking they're clever ruining the games online rep through immature forum antics
    -People not playing properly
    -People team killing
    -People pretending it's a solo game
    -Endless bugs
    -Poor direction
    -Poor controls
    -Completely atrocious health/damage balance.
    -Terrible guns(underpowered, generic etc.)
    -A pervading sense of boredom and frustration.

That last point is most important. You can look over the game's endless drawback after one good firefight, but its just like a drug, alcohol for example. Once the effect wears off and you realise whats actually going on you're left feeling crap and swearing never to play again. Especially when you read the sickeningly stupid 'critics' reviews. I'll admit, I see their profession as next to pointless. That's why I spend my time on this site. People's opinions are often far more 'on Earth' than these strange layabouts. But in this case, both are outrageously pathetic, although some have seen the light and look at the game past its face value, something which the ordinary bullet spamming, COD noob masses fail to do, making this game seem so much better than the failure it actually is.
  91. Nov 23, 2012
    Personally so far with the game it is great. The game is rough around the edges but for what it is its very good. The first game sacrificed so much to have what it had and yet people say its better, the shooting was horrible. This game has fixed that, the devs listen to the community. And so many people also complain about technical difficulties, that's not really a game flaw. If you actually searched for the problem you would find it is most likely the render distance option. The lack of in game tutorials is mostly solved by the fact that there are lots of people willing to help you, the game automatically puts you in a squad so you can just ask them. But is it really hard to point and shoot at the people in different colours? My experience with the game was great, seeing huge battles last for days and finally after lots of work taking that continent and then dropping over to another to fight there. I love the game, and for a free game it beats any others I know of. Expand
  92. Dec 1, 2012
    Okay, for a free to play its a masterpiece, but thats not saying anything now is it. Lets see here, its a bit of a free to play, the physics are BLEH (First time I bought a tank... i moved 3 feet, then fell out the world, and a few other players did the same). The gameplay consists mainly of finding where the action is, and when you find it, the game starts to open up and you see the beautiful flour that is Plantside 2, and it is beautiful. But when the action stops, you notice what a smelly flour the game is. The UI is complicated like all F2Ps, the flight controls are dumbed down, the exact opposite of a simulator, meaning your jet (that looks like a box with jet engines on the side of them) flys tight, so tight that it makes flying boring and dull. I did say the graphics are good, but the textures are bad when you look at them closely. The world is large, true, but its filled with nothing besides a few out posts and 3 massive structures for the main spawn. While we are on the spawn, spawn camping is a bit of a problem, you can have a firing squad outside your spawn and you cant do much about it besides pushing and grinding your way past. And while we are on grinding... this game is a grinding simulator, you need to spend hours and hours just to get a scope for your **** weapon. The bolt action sniper rifle is a 2 hit kill... whats wrong with that you might ask? Simple, it takes about 3 seconds to rechamber a round, and by then your opponent will be behind cover, rendering the rifle relativly useless for the player jumping into the game. This game deserves a 6. What the game can improve on is the physics, balancing, and optimization. My 7970 can run bf3 on ultra and have an average of 60 fps. In this I get an average of 50 on high... if I put everything on low... I get 53... so it needs tweaking. Go play it since its free, there really isnt anything interesting holding you there besides waiting for the next epic battle so you can watch your frames plumit Expand
  93. Jan 13, 2013
    Planetside 2 is pretty dang good. Here are some pros and cons: PROS - 1) Huge maps with tons of bases, outposts, and facilities to capture. 2) Awesome graphics (I have a high end pc so I can't speak for everyone). 3) Combat on a HUGE scale. I've been in battles with 80+ players. 4) Constant tweaking, patches, and bug fixes. Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is constantly improving and fixing imbalances and glitches. And the developers actually listen to and engage with the Planetside 2 community. 5) It's free. The in game shop is only for aesthetic items (there aren't any hats, sorry) or to unlock weapons early, which you can unlock with certification points you get pretty easily in game - which means you never have to spend a cent to get the full experience. 6) The sound effects are awesome. It really feels like a battle. 7) Faction rivalries. Just a small part of the game and community but extremely entertaining. CONS - 1) There are some inbalances between factions, but nothing serious. 2) You will die. A lot. It's an online, first person shooter. There will be many players better than you or with better performing pc's than you. 3) Vehicles, especially aircraft, make mincemeat of infantry. It's hard when you first start out, but as you get more experience, learn how to fight against vehicles (if you're not in one) and learn to play better (and learn that dying only means a 5-10 second respawn) the game becomes much more fun. 4) You will die a lot. 5) It can be frustrating to play if you're not in an organized group like a squad or outfit. There are many squads and outfits out there. Go join one and see why. Way more fun to cooperate and get tactical. 6) You will die a lot. 7) The maps really are HUGE. It can take a while to get place to place unless you hitch a ride or drive yourself somewhere. 8) You will die a lot. Hopefully you're used to that by now. Don't let it bother you. You won't be an elite spec ops pro soldier on day one.

tl;dr

Get it. Play it. It's free. Don't get frustrated by dying a lot.
  94. Apr 29, 2013
    I've played this game since release, and there have been many improvements since launch. I've got over 600 hours in, at BR82, with a good sampling of all the factions.

The new player experience has been streamlined significantly. Players can expect to end up in a friendly spawn at a large battle to start things out. The addition of a virtual reality training area, in which all items and
    all attachments can be trialed, is a huge benefit to old and new players you no longer have to guess at how effective an item will be. The VR area also includes vehicles, and all attachments now as well. I feel much more comfortable introducing new players to the game now, as opposed to release.

The action itself has benefited from many recent additions as well. There is now an 'alert system' which gives all the players on a server a territory objective, specific to one of the continents. The expansion of this system will lend itself to more of an 'objective-based' feel as more content is added.

The combat will feel familiar to those who have played Battlefield 3, or the original Planetside. Infantry play forms the core of the Planetside 2 experience during base battles, while vehicle play is most of the non-base combat. Infantry engagements are fairly short-ranged, the only notable exceptions being snipers in open areas, and the New Conglomerate being able to use longer-range infantry weaponry.

The game still has flaws; there are some frustrating mechanics in the form of one-hit kill weapons: shotguns, high explosive tank shells, and high explosive liberator shelling. The devs, however, have been responsive to balancing these issues for a better experience.

Overall, I'd recommend this game to any first person shooter fans who want to experience combat on a huge scale often in the area of 96 versus 96, or more.
  95. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is the best free to play game I have ever played. The battles are huge! probably more than 200 players in a fight. The game however is badly optimized but the game play is great. It requires lots of teamwork and this game is amazing. It is free after all.
  96. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is still in progress so I'll be updating this review eventually.

The game as of writing this is heavily flawed. The team doesn't listen to a damn thing that the player-base ask to be changed and intentionally sabotage certain aspects of the game for 'balancing'. The developers have a philosophical thought about their game and add elitist players who froth at the thought of
    anything against the devs current plans; you have situation where the play-base has almost no say about anything that happens.

This is a free to play game so you lose NOTHING for giving it a try, but you should think long and hard before considering about buying station cash or becoming a premium member. The fact that SOE doesn't permanently add 'real money' upgrades to all your characters and flat out refuses to transfer characters from one server to another is disgusting.

This game has a lot of work before I'll give it anything more than a neutral rating.
  97. Jul 2, 2013
    needs better faster servers,internet. or allow personal servers to play.
    soooo recommend high ram for this game. along graphics1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
  98. Jul 8, 2013
    Planetside 2 is a very solid game, Beautiful graphics and fun vehicles and weapons. And some advice join a squad for the best experience. There are a few bugs and glitches, very few are game breaking but I have there have been a few time's where I would empty a entire magazine of 40 rounds in to a enemies head and it wouldn't hurt them yet they shoot me 2 and I die. Make sure you find out which of the 3 factions have the best attributes. The Terren Republic have large magazine's and high fire rates and fast vehicles. The New Conglomerate have hard hitting weapons, powerful and strong vehicles, and awesome music. The Vanu Sovereighnty have the best air vehicles along, High accuracy and laser weapons. Expand
  99. Aug 23, 2013
    This game really ticks a lot of boxes for me, it has everything I could ask for; large scale warfare, intense firefights, even a little bit of strategy is present!
    The only problem is is that the game is a very power-hungry game, and my computer has trouble running it even at the lowest settings.
    For anyone who has a top end computer, this futuristic shooter is a must have!
  100. Sep 12, 2014
    this game used to be fun but now it's just hitch, hitch, hitch, hitch and it's been like this for around a month now. absolutely gamebreaking and SOE aren't doing anything about it. useless company, useless game.
  101. Jan 21, 2013
    The incredible scale of this game is amazing, when you and a few hundred other team mates go head to head with another couple hundred people to try and claim as much land as possible.
    Though at first when you start the game it can be a bit overwhelming mainly because it is so big and so many people to kill you end up learning who is more of a threat and where to spawn to quickly get in
    the fight with out getting killed straight away.
    I thoroughly enjoy this game and will continue to play as it is so different having a good fps mmo game that has such a great community (ask for help and you will probley get it due to the nature of the game you need to help team mates to concore as much ground as possible)

1. May 10, 2013