7.0

1. Nov 21, 2014
    Another annoying console shooter cod clone which is set in scifi future. Aimdownsights, play with controller, don't be able to progress in the game.
    Next..
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    They way this game creates frustration is like no equal. Overrated as hell because it's free and "big" but in fact, if you look past your generic fanboy-review and the free-ness, it is nothing worth playing.
    Okey, first one thing, Yes, it's free. But that doesn't justify it's lack of core FPS mechanics.

Hitreg is worse than BF4. You need to predict where the opponent is about to go,
    since you will only hit him if you shoot 1 meter in front of him. Same with vehicles. And if you manage to hit them, there is a chance of not doing any damage at all. This is especially viable for splash damage (tank shells). The standard tankshell has less damage than a frag grenade, which says all about the balance.

Spawning near battles you like is often not possible, which makes it very very annoying to start.
    Unlocks are incredibly slow. You earn Certs, which can be cashed in for unlocks. But if you want to play as tank driver, pilot AND one class of infantry, it easily takes you a month to get some noticable upgrades.

Gameplaywise it's not that bad. The game has decent FPS and decent graphics for a free game (this is justified by it's freeness). The big problem is that zerg-style wins. Bad hitreg and extremely slow character actions (switching gadget=>guns makes you be useless for at least 2 seconds since the gun doesn't fire immidiately) kills the pace and rewards camping like no other. Being aggressive with a few is "outplayed" by a group of zerg-noobs who can hardly weild a gun.

If you are completely new to FPS games, it's a decent start, but for anyone who can aim and has a form of brain, this will be pure torture.
  3. Oct 30, 2014
    I am not a fan of MMOs or FPSs, but this combines the two to create something awesome, although I would appreciate it if I didn't have to keep entering my username and password. Just do a login through Steam.
  4. Oct 28, 2014
    Ruined my life.

Highly Recommended.

One of the most intense, insane and challenging games you will ever play.

My advice, spawn, look for cover and discover how to play your own way.
  5. Oct 16, 2014
    Planetside 2 has this huge disparity between people just starting out and those that have a lot of time put in. Unless you're spending really money, don't expect to be able to go head to head with anyone in the first couple months.

The gameplay is fun but the game has horrendous balance, most people in close up firefights end up going heavy more than half the time
  6. Oct 15, 2014
    I have just over 2,500 hours logged in this game. The honest truth is this: The game has a VERY steep learning curve, the system requirements are very high, experienced players will easily farm new players. That being said this is the best FPS i have ever played. It has such a steep learning curve because it is so COMPLEX and deep. Every class is a different play style, and every gun within that class is a whole new experience. Flying, Tanking, Infantry, Infiltrating are all unique and engaging in their own way. The battles can be small fights or ramp up into MASSIVE 3 way battles. The reviews about "pay to win" are very misleading. There is very little "pay to win", if any at all. I leveled to br100 without spending a single penny. Some of the best weapons in the game are default "starter" weapons, the differences are in their role and not direct upgrades. It is like saying a shotgun is better than a sniper rifle, or vice versa. They are just two different things. Player skill/experience are the real dividers. If you have a computer that can handle the game, and the patience to get through the "learning phase", you will be greatly rewarded with perhaps the best FPS you will ever play. Expand
  7. Oct 9, 2014
    The learning curve is tough, and the periodic updates may make the game crash, but the improvements and eventual fixes that have evolved in this game are amazing. A highly engaged community keeps balance improvements and new content coming. If you haven't played since 2012, they've added tutorials, a full scale shooting range, objective and achievement improvements, a 4th continent, 3 new vehicles, and countless weapons. Play it for the giant scale, the huge 200+ player battles, and the nearly endless strategies one can employ. Just try and resist the urge to buy camouflage from their store. Expand
  8. Oct 8, 2014
    This game is absolutely fabulous. The scale of the battles is unprecedented in the gaming industry. The outfits and platoons really bring a huge level team work that a majority of other games just don't have. This game does have a large learning curve, but it is entirely worth it. After sinking about 400 hours into this game, I have no regrets.
  9. Oct 6, 2014
    I first have to confess, Planetside 2 is the first FPS I have ever tried. I rated it an 7 due to overall playabliity and enjoyment. I have a couple of issues with it performance wise/development wise. But other than that it's pretty solid. Yes there are several older critiques of this game that are negative, but by and large a lot of the quote game breaking mechanics have been fixed/removed or optimised over all. For me, the average player who is older and has less twitch skill, I gotta say it's a blast to run.

One improvement off the bat is the player tutorial in the beginning. It will allow beginning players to get a feel for the controls and basic level mechanics. This didn't exist untill recently so the dev's did right on this. Without it, the learning curve is pretty ugly. If you are new to this game, take the tutorial, it's worth your time and effort. There are several player made tutorials out there to help you as well.

The vast scenery: You feel you are on a real world. Terrain does matter. The hitch though is that anything beyond a 45 deg angle, you will waste valuable time bunny hopping up. Even then, it isn't gauranteed. Still, being able to shoot from diffferent angles and diffferent approaches is pretty epic in my book. Getting the drop on some one from a high angle or from cover is fantastic.

Weapon mechanics: I like the challenge of dealing with bullet drop and cone of fire accuracy issues. While snipers are still a pain in the a$$, gun fights aren't insta death at range. Keep moving, don't sit in one spot for too long and you have a decent chance of getting into a solid fight. Now, I will say that some of the factions are out of balance power wise, but if you are with an outfit that has solid tactics, you can still crush your enemy.

Vehicles: Pilot everything from ground to air (wish they had water but that ain't coming, deal with it). This puts 3 dimensions into the combat field. It makes you get really aware of your surroundings if you want to live past 3 minutes. The variety is pretty solid: tanks, scout vehicles, personnel carriers, fighter aircraft and troop transports. You can customize them as you need for specific effects.

Scope of battles: Might be a squad skirmish...could be a huge battle of 100+ per side. Taking and defending objectives give specific advantages to the winners, locking down a continent even more. Tactics both at the personal and stratigic level count. No, you can't 1 man rambo it, you need teamwork. But bounding and suppression fire help when people coordinate and work together. The epic scenery from desert, to frozen to forest to jungle is just massive.

Gear: you unlock modifications and upgrades through spending cert points. It can be a grind for the beginner, but get with some vets they will share with you strategies for getting more certs faster. It isn't nearly as harsh as it was during opening phases. Gear isn't game breaking though it does give slight edges which can save your butt in really tough fights. Even still, as a newbie player I've knocked down people with maxed gear through use of movement and tactics. This is something I love. Now you can buy swag gear from thier depot. Mostly it's just cosmetic stuff for fun. There are weapons that you can buy, but none that convince me of pay to win. You can buy skill certs with station cash if you want but to me that's kind of wasting money. It isn't hard to knock out 50-150 certs per hour with proper technique (even for new players).

I'll tell you now, this isn't a complete free to play. Yes, you can do so, but it's far better if you go premium all access if you are a SOE fan. If you aren't, the good part of the portion that is free to play will allow you more than enough exposure to the game to decide if you want to commit to paying. It doesn't break your gaming fun either, you just earn XP and certs at a slower rate. All continents are still playable, nothing is locked to you.

Things I wish they would fix: In game comms is one of thier selling points. It sucks. It doesn't always work correctly and prone to timing out completely in large fights. I recommend TS3 or vent or something. Patch days really suck, it usually takes about 72 hours for them to hotfix all the crap they broke trying to fix other issues or intrduce new stuff. New real content beyond weapons or vehicles is pretty scarce. Respawn/redeploy mechanics are dicey at times. You will need a pretty solid rig to play this full blast. I own an X51 Alienware that I purchased at the beginning of this year and can run it with graphics about 80% of max and maintain a 30-40fps during really populated fights. Overall, very enjoyable with just a few hitches that need smoothing out.
  10. Sep 28, 2014
    I have been playing Planetside 2 since beta and it had some growing pains along the way with performance and other development issues. It now runs smoothly and gets better and better after many hours of hard work from SOE. While most first person shooters rely on scripted scenes with jets and tanks in the background, this game has the same feeling of being in a war but it is ACTUAL people. The scale of this game is immense and extraordinary and is a game that I would fantasize about as a child. I find myself coming back to this game again and again in between and during playing other games. It is great to jump in and play for an hour or sometimes 4-5 hours. I recommend playing with friends and to play in platoons but you can play independently as well. If you tried this game and were frustrated by poor performance before give it a chance, it truly is a 10/10 game now and it is simply one of the best games I have ever played. It is a free to play game and the free to play weapons are good; however, you will want to buy some essential weapons like the second burster (anti air) for the MAX unit and a secondary weapon for the tank. I don't mind spending some money to support the game as they do require funds to keep the development going. However, I am glad it isn't a subscription based game as I refuse to partake in such game/ funding models. You can buy a subscription and it does help with experience and moving between continents, especially during "alerts", but it is not necessary. The game is just extremely fun and satisfying to play, especially when you blow up a vehicle carrying 6 people inside and you get all these "exp" numbers jumping up on the screen. I love the feeling of turning the tide of battle, sneaking up on a cloaking sniper and C4ing a MAX unit. There are so many memorable and incredible memories in this game that it really deserves a lot more credit. It is unfortunate that games receive most of their ratings in the first few months of existence as the development team has steadily made this game better and better and better. It just "feels right" now. I can see myself playing this game for years to come. You owe it to yourself to give this game a try and to join in on the battlefield of Planetside 2. Expand
  11. Sep 27, 2014
    Played this game for like 3 weeks, so I dont consider a hardcore player. On the other hand, I played a lot of games (F2P and normal). This game isnt bad, but there are some drastic flaws, that take it down. First of all, there is the cost of everything. You can modify ANYTHING but it cost an arm and a leg. You can either buy it by money, which is quite expensive in comparison with other shooters, or you can play and collect in-game points and buy it for them. This approach takes loooong time. You usually get like 2 points for 3 kills, capturing a base gives you about 3-7 and some better gun costs 1000 points without any scopes, forward grips and so on. Plus you have tons of personal skills and equipments that cost a lot, you have vehicles that can be modified and cost a lot, some leadership skills that cost a lot... so I guess in like 10 years of playing, you can have maxed character, if you dont sleep and eat.
    One of the most frustrating aspect of the game are vehicles. Take an average mobile spawn point (sunderer). Its like a slightly armored trailer. You can shoot it like 6 times with AT missile, throw AT grenades at it, drop C4 at it, and it will still be ok. The reality is somewhere else, I assure you that if you hit some vehicle like this with an anti tank missile, it will blow it to dust. The same goes for tanks, you simply cannot smash tanks, if the driver is careful, he will simply back off behind the nearest hill, repair, and comes back. The amount of missiles that tank takes is completely unrealistic.
    Aircraft is the same problem, there are no real anti aircraft weapons, only max suits (that cost a lot), some vehicle modifications (that cost also a lot) and missile launchers (that are usually ineffective or cost a lot). If the pilot is good, he can overwhelm the base, killing people right when they peek a nose from a spawnpoint.
    Due to its points distribution, the game doesnt force you to focus on objectives, the simple killing is way more advantageous and brings more points. That is a complete failure of game mechanics, usually if you defend a base, you get far less points, then if you just roam the terrain and kill random people.
    Some classes and races are drastically overpowered, for example infiltrator with stalker cloak and powerful gun (usually cant be found and almost always win 1-on-1), engineer and vehicle combo (especially harrasser - gets thrashed a little, rides off, repairs, comes back, with its speed its nearly unhitable), Vanu at night (invisible) and so on.
    Game design is quite strange, some continents have few places that are memorable (like gigantic crater on Indar), other are totally generic and repetitive.
    Movement is frustrating, you will find yourself unable to climb 45°hill often, meaning you have to run around and look for a path. Plus the map is often useless, you find yourself running around looking for stairs to get to the point and so on.
    The last thing I found quite unpleasant was the simple "there is more of us" mechanic – usually the side with more people win, no matter what. The only way out of this is to focus on destroying mobile spawnpoints, but as I mention, they can take unbelievable amount of beating and often get repaired quicker than you can load the rockets into AT gun.
    All and all, this game would need drastic changes to make it at least good game, now its bellow average and is probably meant only for people with lots of money or hardcore players that want to spend the next few years wasting their time maxing their characters and vehicles.
  12. Sep 21, 2014
    Truly a revolutionary game. SOE has a true winner here, if every patch did not some how break something else. The content being released for the game is not truly content releases, rather weapon releases. There seems to be problems with the way SOE balances weapons and abilities. With weapons, SOE will nerf a weapon until it becomes nigh unusable once consumer sales of the weapon drops off. Despite having a somewhat active play test user base, many of these voices go unheard.

If you are into truly massive combined arms battles, with little to no meta game to speak of. This is truly a remarkable game.
  13. Sep 18, 2014
    Surely the UNIQUE AND BEST thing about Planetside 2 2 is the size of the battles. There can be literally hundreds of players, some infantry, others in tanks or aircrafts. This is not some rare occurance, this happens every day on every server.
    To achieve this the game has to be F2P, this can be a good or bad thing depending on your preference.
    Importantly the game IS NOT P2W ! Devs are
    handling the slippery ground F2P quite well.
    You can only pay for cosmetics and faster progress, but the progress had been made significally faster (it used to be very slow which was my major complaint some months ago).
    You get 3 factions with mostly unique equipment. There are 4 distinct continets each with its own battles going on. Tons of weapons and unlockables, 8 different vehicles with unique unlockables for each. Surely the game doesn't lack content.
    Also new free content patches come out every few months, with new weapons, vehicles and other goodies.
    Gunplay is VERY Battlefield-esque, which may again be good or bad depending on your gunplay taste.
    The game heavily supports playing in a squad, and there are many outfits looking for new members as well as public platoons to join. It is comparable to Battlefield 4 but lone wolfing is still fun.
    Graphics are decent for such a huge game and performance is...okayish but you may have problems on older machines.

So why does this game doesn't score 10/10 then ?
    Well... the gameplay CAN GET BLAND after you unlock most stuff.
    After all in the game there isn't much to do other than play giant TDM/Domination all the time.
    Sure the game gives you ton of ways to fight or support your team but it never really deviates from "Take the base and move to the next one !" formula.
    Another problem is STEEP LEARNING CURVE that put me off several times until I finally got through it and hooked on. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be but a new player should watch some youtube video guides or he/she will struggle a lot.
    Last but not least, there are a lot of microtransactions and the game really wants you to buy stuff, which can get annoying sometimes. Everything in the game store is expensive so if you want to look cool like the guy you just saw you have to suck it up (you cant buy ANY cosmetics for in-game points) or have your wallet emptied by the devs.
  14. Sep 12, 2014
    this game used to be fun but now it's just hitch, hitch, hitch, hitch and it's been like this for around a month now. absolutely gamebreaking and SOE aren't doing anything about it. useless company, useless game.
  15. Aug 10, 2014
    I'm giving this a 2 only because it was recommended by friends and looked like it had potential.

Upon launching the game you have little to no idea what anything means. You are asked to select a faction and a server, then immediately dropped into a complex deployment screen with zero direction. Given that there's no single player or tutorial of any sort, it's nothing other than a
    blind jump into the action. There's a little help icon in the corner that gives you some vague idea of what things mean, but the word "detailed" definitely doesn't come to mind.

Now I use the term "action" loosely as you had better have a pretty high end system to run this game at anything other than minimal settings (if you want a half decent frame rate). I run an AMD quad core system with 4GB of memory and 2 1GB Radeon HD4850s in Crossfire. Definitely not "new" by any means, but this is the first game I've come across that I haven't been able to run at moderate settings. Not to mention that even at high settings with a horrible frame rate, the graphics are anything but impressive. Being a software developer I feel confident in saying: "This game reeks of rushed development and inefficient code". There are many game engines out there competing to be the best. This one gets a participation award and rides the short bus.

The Gameplay:

After selecting a class and a spawn point that you've convinced yourself is somehow "strategic", you're dropped into either: a) the middle of the fight, or b) "I better grab my hiking boots, granola, and a couple of beers for the trip to the fight". I would recommend going with option 'a' seeing as your n00b level character results in doing it all over again after taking 2 hits (if you're lucky). The controls are jerky and unresponsive, and the limited HUD indicators are so small that they might as well not be there.... That's assuming you know what they mean in the first place. "Blue friend, red foe" I got that much.

The Community:

This was the kicker... Seeing as there is no easy in for new players to this game, you would hope that some of the more experienced players would take pity on you and be willing to show you the ropes. After naming my character "Noob[somethingsomething]", trying to introduce myself, and asking a few beginner questions on chat (to which I received no response), I determined this was not the case. I continued to try and figure things out on my own. After dying a few dozen times, I finally got my first kill! I was playing as the infiltrator class, as sniper is always my default, and finally got an enemy in my sights (before being obliterated by a tank or some other form of heavy artillery). I took the shot. Still not sure if it was the horrible frame rate, the bullet travel delay (which I never determined was actually there or not), or my degraded aim due to my current level of frustration, but I hit and killed... a team mate. Upon respawning, I was immediately killed by said team mate.

In Conclusion:

I say "No thanks". If you're the type that's excited by the prospect of overcoming the frustration and ostracism that goes along with conquering the mastery of a poorly built, elitist, complex MMO with zero direction, this game is for you. If you're looking for a new game to enjoy and play casually; look elsewhere.
  16. Jul 27, 2014
    Game can be very fun , and there is nothing that has the scale and scope of battles like it does, but poor netcode and level design favors shotguns, making them very overpowered. Hope you like dying in one shot cause it's gonna happen, a lot.
  17. Jul 25, 2014
    Planetside 2 is one of those games that I REALLY wanted to absolutely love! Don't get me wrong, it’s fun as hell and it does something that is unique and captivating, something I've never seen done before! I want to give this game a great review but I can't. I hate the business model of this game. It’s pay to win, simple as that. It upsets me that every weapon costs 5-15 bucks (USD). Every upgrade to a vehicle, 5-10 bucks. You CAN actually unlock everything through in-game currency but holy hell… I hope you have the next 10 years or so free to grind cert points. If you don’t mind dying over and over and over again because you didn't want to drop 200 bucks on this game or if you are just a beast at FPS, you are going to have a fantastic time. Otherwise, you will get frustrated with this game very quickly. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2014
    There are no thousands of players as the previous review mentioned. If you're playing during the night you can barely find a 10 player fight across the whole continent and that says something. After playing this I felt like I accomplished nothing and in order for me to advance I had to buy a new weapon with real money.
  19. Jul 17, 2014
    Planetside 2 dwarfs other games, at least in terms of shear size and capability. You can find yourself fighting in battles ranging from only a few players to hundreds, perhaps even thousands of players. However, Planetside 2 being so big comes at a price: Performance.

Let me say, right off the bat, you need a good PC to play this game. Even some top of the line rigs can have trouble
    playing this game on the lowest of settings. However, recently, SOE has been working specifically to improve overall game performance, but still don't expect to play this game on your grandmothers laptop.

Despite the performance issues, Planetside 2 is a very enjoyable game, once you get the hang of it. You may find that the first couple hours you play the game, you might find yourself frustrated. But once you learn some of the basic tactics/strategies, you can become a very good player. But even after you get the hang of it, the learning curve is still quite large, and you may find yourself playing the game for a REALLY long time. I have been playing Planetside 2 for over a year and a half, and I am barely halfway through. However, assuming you can get past that, I'd definitely recommend giving Planetside 2 a shot. It still has plenty of growing room, (I think the developers have a 10-year development cycle!) and as is, there are plenty of great features to be explored.
  20. Jul 9, 2014
    Played PS2 Beta, worked like a charm.

Played PS2 official release, biggest clusterf*ck broken failure of an FPS I've ever seen in my life.

Played PS2 now two years later with promises of the game being "better than ever", Still a broken-down piece of garbage with dying behind walls and population differences of 10%+.

Just.. F*ck off already, SoE.
  21. Jul 7, 2014
    A horrible game with horrible lag, horrible bugs, horrible optimization, horrible balance and horrible developers & producers & billing staff. Planetside 2 manages to disappoint me in ways I have not yet thought possible be it the turd balancement whereas you need the power equal to a tactical nuclear warhead to kill a run-of-the-mill ground transport truck or how there's still insanely high racial differences (Terran still adopting a zerg-rush tactic and winning majorly everywhere due to numbers & noob guns). Along with having an illegal billing department, showing no concern for individual countries consumer laws (Right of refund if shopped via Internet), SoE has also gone to the length of bribing the BBB to quickly close down any complaints related to in-game currency or other purchases while also reaching out and buying attention from some of the Internet's most hated individuals like Total Biscuit for some quick e-fame-4-cash.

Can this game be fun with a couple of friends when the servers don't lag and when you play for free? Absolutely. Should you give the game or It's developers & associated people any money? Hell no.
  22. Jul 7, 2014
    Once you get into this game it if a fantastic amount of fun. The battles are on such a massive scale. Graphics are not as good as some other shoot em up platforms but am sure its done like that to be able to run massive servers.
  23. Jul 4, 2014
    I've never seen a game so graphically promising but play like ass. Right off the get-go, the game tries persuading me to use its instant action command only to drop me right into some enemy's sights conveniently. From thereon, it's trying to adapt to the guerrilla warfare tactics that are dictated by the huge environment and class divisions. And yet, no matter what I tried to kill someone it either resulted in being lucky and getting a kill after shooting them an extremely unnecessary amount of times... they got away, or they would just turn around and shoot me in very little shots.

Seeing as how this game is P2W- I mean F2P, advantages can and do get bought to allow players to become stronger. When you make the game so headshotting someone a ridiculous amount of times doesn't even put them in danger of death but they can easily blast you because they've got everything available, you've completely alienated your new players.

I highly doubt that this is a learning curve thing either as I've been able to jump into other FPS games without issue. Battlefield probably being my biggest leap which this game takes a lot of elements from... and that comes nowhere close to the amount of **** this game brings.
  24. Jul 2, 2014
    I didn't really like this game so I'll just focus on the bad points in order of most annoyances.
    1) Big **** mindless open world pvp, strategy and tactic is hard to pull off when you need either 100 people cooperating or your up agaisn't 100 enemies. Just so very mindless unless you hit low populated areas. 2) Certs are extremely slowly rewarded, frustrating stuck with starter weapons and
    bored. 3) Pay2FastTrack game (another form of P2W) want to try lots of things and have fun? If you could Pay $60 to unlock everything (likes a normal game) that would be an absolute bargain in PS2, but you know they are greedy. 4) Yes it's a large scale game, but those graphics are ugly as hell, nothing stands out its just dull unless you are flying. 5) Overall ok game to start with but how you play you realise there are better games out there to play instead, on a side note Sony will kill H1Z1 if it has anything like a PS2 item shop. Expand
  25. Jun 28, 2014
    Gorgeous. Even if this was a Pay-To-Play game, i would give more than enough to play this masterpiece! Perfect tactics that you must play to advance your squad/platoon and storm the front You do need to give it at least 2 hours to get used to the controls of it, when you do it is amazing. Graphics are top-notch! Game-play is fresh and new! Sounds are clear and great! Play this game!!!
    but you do need a good rig to play it.
  26. Jun 23, 2014
    This game is Not Free to play its pay to win. Imagine the worst grinding game you have ever played x10
    cost nearly 400 dollars to unlock all upgrades and guns would probably take a free player 10 years.
  27. Jun 19, 2014
    To the tune of the Blue Danube Waltz. Zerg zerg zerg zerg zerg (zerg zerg, zerg zerg). Zerg zerg zerg zerg zerg (zerg zerg, zerg zerg) Zerg zerg zerg zerg zerg, zerg zerg zerg, zerg zerg zergergerg zerg zerg. Zerg zerg zerg zerg zerg. Zerg zerg zerg zerg zerg. Zerg zerg zerg zerg. Zerg zerg zerg zerg. Zerg zerg zerg zerg zerg. Zerg zerg zerg zerg zerg. Zerg zerg zerg, zerg zerg, zerg zerg-ergergerg. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2014
    Planetside 2 is an achievement. The engine used is nothing but amazing since it can draw tons of stuff over a huge map, with so much detail and still handle tons of players. You might have experienced these type of battles over in Battlefield but Planetside 2 are on a much larger scale and I'm very excited to see future projects like H1Z1 using the same engine.

The gameplay is also
    good, the weapons are responsive, the controls are what you can except from a shooter and everything feels quite balanced. There are a lot of different weapons with tons of add-ons and a ton of camouflage to make it more personal but it all comes at a cost.

Planetside 2 is a grind, and this might be the only problem I have with the game but its a big one. Unless you're willing to pay real money to get a new gun, you gonna have to play an enormous amount or grind your way through with repetitive tasks.
    Paying real money wouldn't be such a deal since its a free game but the fact that they charge $7 for a submachine gun with zero add-ons is laughable. The gun might be race and class-specific too. And I would never consider buying a cool camo before I got the gear I want, and this makes everything feel so out of reach. Other games using this type of f2p like Blacklight:Retribution does this a lot better.

I think you should give Planetside 2 a try, all the features and buttons might be overwhelming at first so you might wanna check out an introduction on youtube before heading in. Just remember that in order to have the full experience, you gonna have to bring your wallet or all your free-time.
  29. Jun 7, 2014
    I need to start this review informing you that I HATE free to play games.

But, this is the only one other than league of legends that I find somewhat fair in their model. - My only gripe about this game is when they release a new weapon.. they make it super awesome so everyone buys it.. then after a week and the sales start to slow down.. NERF! .. ask anyone when the shotgun first came
    out compared to now.. or the phoenix rocket launcher.

For the game play, 10/10... Love it!

Battles are legendary! The sheer size and scale of the armies that siege your fortress or bio-lab are amazing!

Guns are pretty balanced and each faction has unique art styles and few play styles that differentiate them for the others.

I like the pace of combat way more than COD and battlefield and the system of how you can upgrade your gear is a nice touch.

overall, I will be playing this game for many years to come.
  30. Jun 5, 2014
    Oh Planetside 2. How you fail to grasp the concept on what "Fun" is. Did your community trick around in the game engine and found some cool looking glitch that had no chance of being used practically whatsoever? Ban & Remove it.

Did your veteran fans have the audacity to contact you in order to perhaps get on an unannounced & not planned double SC weekend at Saturday 00:01 as they
    bought SC at regular value at Friday, 23:59? Tell em to go f*ck off.

Then again, people should have known better than to spend valuable money on people that have no idea on how to run a business, and even less so, develop a video-game. As of today with only 3,000 players left from 10,000-30,000, Planetside 2 and Sony Online Entertainment are the leading prime-examples on how to not run a business.
  31. May 29, 2014
    There is a buy message on every screen where they want you to spend your money, there are guns for sale, voice packs for sale, camos for sale, decals for sale and all kinds of other useless crap for sale. There is also a membership for sale and this membership gives you discounts on items so that you can buy even more! Avoid this or chargeback everything you've spend on this game and buy a new game with the money. Expand
  32. May 28, 2014
    I have had a love/hate relationship with this game. At the best times, there are no kill-farms and it requires skill. At the worst times, there are tanks and planes shooting at spawn doors and level 100 people going on massive killing sprees, or max units being continously healed. It was fun sometimes, but it will frustrate you when the tank or plane you have waited so long for blows up 5 seconds after getting it. The community is overall poor. After many hours, I finally deleted my character. Goodbye, Planetside 2. Expand
  33. May 26, 2014
    Pros: Fast gameplay and epic battles. You really can't ask for more out of a free to play game. Great game community. Can be addictive as your job is never truly done in game. No single weapon dominates in all fights. Fight on the ground as one of 5 classes or take to the air in one of 3 types of air units or grab one of several ground units from a two person four wheeler to a 12 person personal carrier. There is now lack of vehicle options in game.

Cons: Suffers from a lack of Meta game. You will find far to many people grinding kills instead of attempting to gain continent control for your faction. This can be frustrating for the true team player yet does not affect solo play as much. Game updates often feel untested prior to launch but are quickly repaired. Learning curve can be a little high so It is recommended to group up with one of the many outfits in game for a helping hand.
  34. May 25, 2014
    This game has been broken for me and I have not been able to play it for several months, the gameplay is decent, but the lag in unbearable and the issues that come with it are not worth the effort.
  35. May 23, 2014
    Best Free to play FPS in this moment.
    Not for everyone tho. It rewards only the patient players (to get through all that overwhelming information), they can really enjoy what this game offers.
  36. May 18, 2014
    Planetside 2 is an open world FPS with maps that are huge and expansive. This game is free to play and would I recommend you get this? Yes. This game is great fun and due to its expansiveness, four to five major battles happen on the same continent at the same time and each containing 100 - 500 people! This was an amazing idea and it is executed perfectly. However, the expansiveness comes with a price, a very hefty price. You will need a very good PC to run this game on Medium - High graphic settings and to of stolen a NASA computer to run it on Ultra, especially in huge battles. Like most free to play games, there is micro-transactions and that can lead to difficulty if you start out. For people who love games like Battlefield and Arma, get the futuristic version of those games which is Planetside 2! Expand
  37. May 18, 2014
    Lets start by saying that yes, on the surface it's one of the best shooters around. The guns feel meaty for such a large scale MMO and the battles are awesomely huge.
    However, dig a bit deeper and you find that all is not well on Auraxis. For example, despite it not technically being "pay-to-win" as all guns can be unlocked for free, using money does give you an unfair boost towards
    unlocking equipment.
    The system for unlocking stuff is based around "certification" points. An hour of decently skilled play might get you between 30 and 50 of these, but the price of new guns is more like between 300 and 1000, which necessitates a grindfest of pornographic proportions. All equipment is also available for purchase, but buying everything in the game would require (potentially) hundreds of pounds, which goes against the term "free to play". This is a shame as mechanically (the world and combat etc.) it's probably a vision of the future of shooter.
  38. May 18, 2014
    I played about 6 hours PlanetSide 2, and I can tell you that this free game is good enough to the point that it should be a paid game. This is a great game to play, the sets are well detailed, vehicles are easy to handle except air. The game itself, which is to integrate the three nations to fight the other two is excellent, but choose a crowded server, if you get bored. In short, a good game to play with friends ! Expand
  39. May 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. YES!!! I was in a battle at the crown with a grand total of 500+ people!(I am Vanu, and we only had ~50 people there, and the graph showed we were 10% of the people there. Btw, you need a really good computer to play. I use a amd fx 8350 and a gtx 760. I play ultra settings, but the LAG when you have hundreds of people. A** kicking fun when you just see chaos XD) (Btw, smoke grenades and emp grenades=TROLOLOL in these situations...you mess up hundreds of elmos and smurfs(TR and NC) Expand
  40. May 6, 2014
    Planetside 2 embraces the large scale warfare and landscapes that the original Planetside introduced to FPS gaming. Sadly, this is the only thing Planetside 2 does right when compared to Planetside and many other FPS games.

The game's artwork, models and animation are nothing short of beautiful and their creators deserve a lot of praise for their hard work. The game stays true to it's
    predecessor by bringing all three factions with even great stylistic differences that really distinguish the players on the battlefield. These redeeming qualities is why I gave Planetside 2 a 2/10.

The severe lack of strategy, tactics, vehicles, the jack of all trades character development, the grind for new equipment and weapons being very much the same are just a few of the many flaws in PS2.

Overall, Planetside 2 is a terrible continuation of the series and would fit better as a Battlefield game.
  41. Apr 23, 2014
    1st, WTH are people ripping into the game for? saying there is no character devleopment? so? on BF and COD, i dont remember character development besides perks and weapons, this isnt an RPG game, its a game where you kill 200 of the other enemy on 3 different maps.

I didnt have to P2W to be good at this game. if your good at BF and COD then you will be good on this game. yes at 1st it
    drops you into the middle of a battle but unless your not looking when you die, you can pick to respawn in a different area or even the HQ(which is also a safe area and no fighting) which constantly has land vehicles or air vehicles picking up people and going off to battle. besides that you can spawn your own land or air vehicle to fly off in, the only problem with this is if you log in when the game is slow, then your driving or flying off on your own.

some people were moaning that you cannot heal "heavies" you can, its called repairing like you would a tank, they are mechanical and so you cant be a medic and heal them but you can repair them like a tank.

also no objective? it has more of an objective then BF and COD, instead of mindless killing which is fun, you also need to take over bases and mindlessly kill, with tanks, 4 wheeler things, troop transports, airships, air jet things, or on foot.

there is friendly fire and that makes a chaotic battle a mess if you have a bunch of foot traffic and tanks rolling through, happens on BF, so it seems all the people who gave this game a 4 or less havent played those other games i mentioned(call of duty and battlefield) since they cannot handle this game.

you had to spend 60$ to get those games but can play this for free, so dont expect to get every single weapon for free but i have seen that i can get most weapons by getting the points from playing the game on my own, and i didnt have to pay to win to be good at this game.

the only time i didnt like playing this game was when it was slow and no one on my faction was hardly on, i still found it fun harassing the bigger army and just taking over random stuff. also the other bad point, if your comp isnt up to snuff like mine, then it will be super laggy or unplayable, so im waiting on it to release to PS4, atleast i hope it will, otherwise i will have to upgrade my comp so i can play it.

its a fun game and worth trying out, its not P2W, it does have things you can pay money and get the items or some weapons faster but when you have 2 dozen of the other faction running at you, then that rifle you spent cash on is not gonna help you and as i said you can get the weapons with the points you earn from killing, defending or taking over positions, so its fun and not grinding to earn the weapons on your own and unless you get into a 1 on 1 battle(lucky you if you do) i dont think the weapon they have will matter too much.

also remember to those that are not familiar with this game and are thinking about it for the PC or PS4 when it comes out, this is where you have 3 different very big maps, and 1,000 or more peiple on each server which each has the 3 maps, so your gonna have on each map normally 100 or more of each faction, that means 100 people helping you fight, while you have 200 or more of the other factions fight you( there are 3 factions in all) so 3 armies all trying to take over big and small bases all over the map, and there are no rounds, just constant fighting. i have experianced myself 1 battle over a big base lasting for 3 hours, so no one won until enough of the other faction had to log off or give up, if you love constant fighting then you will enjoy this game, its non-stop.
  42. Apr 11, 2014
    This game is fantastic. In my opinion, it's better than EA's garbage child - BF4. I actually played this game awhile back. Back when it was in it's **** condition. You know, poor optimizations and stuff. I hopped into it again, and was surprised on how much the performance improved. Which is amazing! Now I can enjoy the game fully.

THIS GAME IS BETTER THAN BF4 OR BF3!
  43. Apr 9, 2014
    easily one of my all time favorite games. no other game keeps me coming back like planet side 2. constant updates with new guns and features, and after the optimization update the game runs really well for me. i would agree that guns are a bit pricey, but after i got a membership that includes a 50% boost, certs (in game currency) were no longer a issue for me. and i was free to upgrade and buy as many new guns and abilities as i wanted. i will say that a big factor of enjoyment in this game for me is the community. devs listen to player feedback, and players are nice and helpful in game and in the forums. i would suggest checking out the planetside subredit and the official forums to see more about the game. the game does have a learning curve i will admit, i would suggest checking out some you tubers if you want to see game play or want to understand how to play the game. the you tubers in no order are: stl youngblood, wrel, zoran the bear, drathamus gaming. my closing statement is this, it is a free game you will lose nothing by downloading it, trying it, not enjoying it, and deleting it. but if you give the game a chance you may find a beautiful game full of player progression and endless hours of fun, supported by a helpful and positive community. at least that is what i found. go to www.planetside 2.com or steam and download the game, who knows what adventures will await :) Expand
  44. Apr 3, 2014
    Amazing game. Huge battles including 200 soldiers on one side and 200 more on the other side. There is a lack of tutorial ingame but you can find a lot of helpful videos in youtube. Every update makes this game even better.
  45. Mar 27, 2014
    Planetside 2 used to be a bit hard to get into but with improved tutorials and better objective setting, I'd say this is my favorite massively multiplayer game at this point. If you're interested in something with a bit more complexity and a bigger scale than the recent battlefield installments: go with this.
  46. Mar 27, 2014
    I sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amount of players on your team is totally random. The lack of killcam promotes camping, and there's no strategy required once you've found a corner to spam from. The entire game feels unfinished and soulless, only play this if you're a call of duty fan with no regard for well-crafted game design. Expand
  47. Mar 26, 2014
    >Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game This guy said it best in his review bi0mech81 Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and die again as soon as you respawn. An in-game "Newbie" area, some kind of zone where you go only when you first start a character would be greatly appreciated as throughout my first hour of gameplay I was consistantly pitted against players of level 38 or higher. The extremely large playing area makes snipers and tanks gods on the ground. I have not been able to fly any of the aircraft, yet because everytime I spawn an air vehicle it is destroyed immediately. I'm not an avid FPS player by any stretch of the means- I grew up on Doom, Quake, and UT, and I manage about a 1:1 Kill to death ratio in CoD, and tend to play support roles in TF2. On average I have 2 kills and over 50 deaths in planet side due to spawn camping. spawning at a point that is distant from the battle just means I get to run for 10 minutes to die from a sniper that I can't see. Playing a supporting role in PS2 is down right rage-inducing. Healing a friendly player may or may not reward XP, and unlike TF2, you cannot heal a heavy to keep them up while they sustain gunfire. Reviving fallen players is fairly pointless unless they died less than 2 seconds in front of you. The Engineer's turret is too inaccurate for the distances at which forces are regularly engaged in. The tanks are done well- and in many cases are over-powered. many of the bases are designed so you can just snipe away at the enemy generator with your tank and destroy it without worry of being engaged by the defenders. Running over your own teammates results in a suicide for them, and no penalty for yourself- great if you just want to troll your own team, as is often the case. What this game direly needs is level segregation of some form- whether it's designated levels for zones where as you out level the zone you do less damage, or you cannot respawn into a zone you are out leveled for, something needs to give a new player some fudge-factor to learn how the game works besides dropping you straight into a fight that you are grossly under leveled for.

I completely agree with everything he said, it's like he was reading my mind.

Uninstalled after 2 hours of playing and I was even with my brother which should have helped the overall fun factor.
    >overrated
    >walking simulator
    >friendly fire
    >poor balance
    >no level separation
  48. Mar 26, 2014
    This game really deserves some more appreciation. It's been a while since its release, and many problems including the existence of bugs, performance issues, and a lacking introduction are fixed. This is NOT a p2w, as everything other than aesthetics can be unlocked using certification points earned from game-play. It does indeed deliver truly amazing graphics on an epic scale (even on my middle class laptop), and all weapons are balanced. Expand
  49. Mar 24, 2014
    I've played this game since beta... even played planetside 1 which I enjoyed(the base fights were awesome!). This game is never fun... here are some reasons:

1) you spend 99% of the time bored, running in vast empty lands just to get to a fight. running 20 mins to get to a 5 min fight is not my idea of "epic".

2) Almost all spawns are dependant on other players deciding where to
    deploy. So your left with extremely fustrating options...(see my previous point)

3) Game is 100% pay to win/avoid grinding. 7.50$ to buy each gun... that's a ripoff and it ruins the gaming experience. So unless your spending 300$, you are essentially not enjoying the full experience of this game.

4) The bases are extremely bland and boring. It amounts to nothing but a copy paste of the same pixels

5) Everyone is forced to squad/platoon together and this is not fine when your gaming revolves spending your time camping empty bases with no enemy's to kill "just because" it's the team objective. YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS, this is the gameplay, follow the zerg or DO NOTHING.

6. The bases and fights are incredibly bland. Nothing special about them... there's no epic element about the MMO aspect.... after 2-3 hours you'll realise the first 10 mins is exactly like your 50th hour.

7. Everyone wants to play a tank or vehicle class. The problem is it only takes 1 or 2 of these to paralyze 50+ infantry. Why is this bad? Basically, this game has NO INFANTRY battles... almost all fights are just zergfests between Vehicles killing each other. You never actually duel other "soldiers".

I keep reinstalling the game, reminding myself how stupid of an idea it was.

After 10 mins, I get fustrated and log off...
  50. Mar 16, 2014
    Alright so this is the garbage that can be produced by 30+ million dollars, the game seemed to look decent at best but it seems these developers are absolutely clueless on how to make a proper game its been over a year and literally all they have to show for it is a bunch of generic or op weapons that a player whom has brain damage could use. To top it off its networking code is horrendously bad and they seem to want to buy the cheapest possible servers and think they can get away with it. Instead of doing any real content to maps the edit old ones since they seem completely incompetent towards making a new map. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone but my 6 year old son but oh wait he doesn't even like it because he knows its no better than a glorified tdm, and he actually would prefer to play cod since he can even tell that its networking code is better. Expand
  51. Mar 9, 2014
    A great game, great concept and excellent setting that suffers from a number of baffling design decisions and poor 'knee jerk' balancing. The Microtransaction model also loses another point for me as done right it's great, but feels like SoE are starting to 'milk' it a bit.

They are getting better at it, and the gameplay in an organised outfit (BRTD in my case) is incredible (this is
    not a CoD/BF4 style log-on play solo game). Overall it could be better, but is still currently head & shoulders above the rest of it's modern peers. Expand
  52. Mar 6, 2014
    Very good game its better with friends but if u dont have strong PC dont play because u will have some lags!!! This is best FPS game i have ever played in my life its all about skills. Players please stop using tanks and aircraft so muck because u ruin the experience of the game.
  53. Feb 27, 2014
    It's a great game in all but they love to screw over their customs as much as possible few nerfing weapons and to deleting times/remaking it with a different features. So I am not very happy on how the deal with customer loyalty.
  54. Feb 23, 2014
    Heard about this from a friend. 'Yeah its more fun if you have some friends to play with.' he said. Little did I know how right he was. If there's one thing I've learned over the years its that the phrase "If its too good to be true, it probably is." and this phrase fits PlanetSide 2 PERFECTLY. Most of the information on the official website is half lies, outdated information, or flat out lies.

For example:

"PlanetSide 2 features incredible continent maps with dozens of square kilometers of seamless gameplay space; every inch of which is hand-crafted, contestable space. With the territorial control meta-game, landmass has intrinsic value."

The continents' layouts are about as bland as can be. Yet another victim of "symmetry = balance" as if planets are supposedly symmetrical in nature. In reality its more of copy pasted a third of a continent then rotated and add some unique name. Literally. The same mountain you just past there's another two more somewhere. They honestly thought that because of the size you wouldn't notice it. Its noticeable. Most of the special points (such as biolabs or domes or whatever they call it) are exactly the same as they are on other continents. Just a different tileset. Then there's the 'massive' part of the game. It states there can be up to 1000's of players in a battle. Remember: the players are spread out over these large continents. So the actual saturation of players is fairly low except at one or two points.

"...PlanetSide 2 battles can last for days or even weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it's yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle. Victory requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger to survive the massive battles."

Do they mean the war for the continent or the battle for a territory? The territorial battles could last anywhere from about 3 minutes (its just you sitting around waiting praying some resistance) to a couple of hours (very rare). The amp stations (power plants), bio-domes and tank factories (I forget their names) don't do as much as the site makes you want to believe. The only incentive you have to capturing these are: 1.) you get more experience for capturing it. 2.) Each of these special points gives you a mediocre bonus: the bio-domes add a really minor regeneration to your health, the tank factories allow you to acquire main battle tanks outside of your warpgate and the amp stations increase the time it takes for a turret to overheat by about 1 second or so (when if you pause for a couple of seconds just before you overheat you'll be fine). I believe they don't even stack.

Then we have the supposed 'victory'.

So after running around capping one point after another for some experience and certs, you get the continent capped. Victory right? Wrong. You don't even get a message let alone any sort of reward. There's absolutely no reason why you should hold a point or cap a point except for experience for capping it. The only thing you get for completely capturing a continent is a puny cost decrease to aircraft, infantry stuff, or vehicles (a whole 10% or 15%!). That's it. Not even an anti-climatic "your empire has captured the continent of ___." No experience reward, no congratulations, no climatic battle. Then as soon as you leave the enemy empire you now warpgated just captures the territory back.

What they don't tell you:

- It takes you an absurdly long time to get any of the 1000 cert weapons (upwards of 1 month) without paying for a subscription. Once you hit battle about rank 37, it takes literally ages to get to the next rank without a subscription.

- The guns are absurdly overpriced (normal guns are about (US)$5.75 (or is it 7.50) for a 500 or 250 cert one and ~$10.00 for a 1000 cert one. Then for the golden guns they're $20.00 or so. Remember: 100 SC = $1.00.

- Everyone says its "Not pay-to-win" they are correct in one way: you pay, but you can't win (there's no victory objectives outside of capture a point move on to the next). You start off horribly ill equipped compared to people who've been playing and need months to get better equipped.

- It is horribly optimised. Expect frame rates of less than 15 in big battles or even moderate battles with anything less than a mid-range PC.

- You WILL be killed every 10 or so deaths by an infiltrator with an SMG that decloaks behind you and kills you in about 3.2 seconds.

- You CAN/WILL be sniped by an enemy you cant even render!

-- The verdict --
    The fun really dies out after you screw around for a little while then only becomes fun with friends. Just don't expect to meet many here. The community is full of trolls and immature kids (LOTS of 10yr olds).

NOTICE:
    Player experience will vary greatly. Try it yourself. Just don't spend a dime until you know you like it and will play it for a long time.
  55. Feb 11, 2014
    I've been waiting for a stellar MMOFPS title. A friend recommended I give Planetside 2 a try, and try it I did. Planetside 2 is massive, as the genre classification would suggest, and offers tons of places to go. But the glaring problem is that PS2 is completely aimless, cheap, and at times ugly in its presentation. There is little rhyme or reason to what you're doing. There is next to zero help in getting started. There are several vehicles which are somewhat appealing but anything in the air is tough to control and requires an insanely high level of precision and mastery to be effective with. PS2 is perhaps the worst FPS experience for newcomers on the market. The graphics always look like they're stuck in beta builds no matter how powerful your graphics card is. I constantly wished for more cohesion amongst players and objectives but was constantly disappointed. The freedom aspect is a nice IDEA that is entirely left undeveloped. If you wish to do anything in this game, you MUST go where the hordes are. Taking bases can be fun but there's a heavy amount of patience required whether you're on offense or defense. PS2 made me long for Guild Wars 2's World vs World PVP, which I felt was a bit too massive and tough to work with. There is a pillar or two upon which Planetside 2 can stand on. It's a free to play game so there's no such thing as a waste of money, only time (but time is money, right?). There is some variation to play styles and classes and, when you finally do get the hang of the game after numerous hours and a terrible learning curve, there is some intense fun that can be had. But the fun is fleeting - coming and going almost in an instant. The best moments tend to be when a smaller pocket of resistance is met where you aren't potentially being targeted by 400 enemies. MMOFPS is a genre that is guaranteed to work, but titles like Destiny or The Division, which are on their way for PCs and consoles in 2014, find better balances and won't force you to constantly play with complete strangers or unorganized factions/guilds. If Planetside 2 could offer some good fun away from the large battles, maybe there would be something special here. But nothing is special, beautiful, reasonable or interesting about Planetside 2. Unless Sony completely overhauls a future title and I receive credible word about this franchise evolving into a complete game experience, I won't even bother with a free-to-play Planetside 3 and beyond. Expand
  56. Feb 3, 2014
    I created an account to write this review. I am normally an anti-fps, anti-competitive type gamer because of the awful community it attracts and that 'twitch' skill requirement in order to compete. In PlanetSide 2 you can start off playing a support role as an engineer or medic and stay in the rear of the fight. Be sure to keep an eye on your mini-map for enemy positions and surround yourself with friendlies (green dots). Doing so will extend your life expectancy significantly until you are comfortable leading the assault.

If you want to avoid the chaos of close-quarters combat and slow down game some, you can be a tank or apc driver or man the turret. Just don't advance alone and be weary of aerial bombers. Park under trees or near some rocks so you don't get spotted so easily. Coordination and teamwork is very important in this game. These support roles, team play, and RPG elements makes this FPS more than a mindless shooter. I've only played the game for three days, but it's very addicting. My favorite memory so far is running with 100 other infantry, tanks, apcs, under air support across a relatively flat desert towards an enemy fortress while under enemy tracer and mortar fire. As one of the few medics, I saved a lot people that day. It was epic.
  57. Jan 25, 2014
    Planetside 2 is an intriguing mix of FPS, open world tactics, ATV driving madness. The game is very fun and the battles are gigantic, but it falls short on its "Pay to Win" pathways. Just because you've spent weeks on the game trying to get enough certifications to buy the next cardboard box doesn't mean you stand a chance against a level 1 who used real money to get the gold-plated cardboard box with a scope. That aside, the action is fast-paced, classes and factions are mostly well balanced and all around it's a game about teamwork, which adds a refreshing element to modern online FPS games. Expand
  58. Jan 22, 2014
    palnetside 2 is not other FPS, it not other big f2p game that everyone will forget, this is one of the bigest games ever, from the amzing grhapic to the huge maps, with the massive number of players and massive battles you cannot forget that kind of game, even so it really hard in the start cuse of the game just trhow you to battle without you even know waht to do, you proboly going to spend you first hours in the game try to understand wtf you need to do, but in the end you found out this amzing game, if it wasent free2play i could easy see it sold in 60 and I was even pay 70$ for it, but no it free so thank the dev team and play, of course you cant play alone this game ment to be play with at least 5 friends cuse alone you not going to do much, so find good team and play. Expand
  59. Jan 18, 2014
    Good premise, and false promises.

The game is only starting to deliver one year after launch, but expect it to be open beta until at least mid 2014, until then you can still have simple-minded fun on the biggest team deathmatch ever made.
  60. Jan 11, 2014
    The original learning curve was a pain in the ass. But, now, because SOE has listened to the people who have the potential to give them money, they added links to tutorials right in the launcher. Honestly, the alerts are not all that fun. They turn the game from strategy to just masses of people in a tiny spot and COD.

Each update provides... problems with balance. If you want to have
    an easy time before getting in to the whole "shoot before getting shot" idea, go for a medic position, or an engineer driving a sunder/medium battle tank. You get certs like crazy from healing or repairing, and sunderer spawns get you a massive amount of experience, for parking a bus.

Also, an important fact is that each faction is suited to a certain type of play style. The NC is for people who like doing lots of damage, without using a lot of ammo. They require you to be fairly accurate, and account for bullet drop on the spot, or go CQC.

TR is mostly for COD players, where they move quickly, and spam bullets. After all, they have the fastest firing weapons in the game. Their real strength seems to lie within their airforce, as they are incredibly fast compared to any others, and dodge most small arms fire.

The Vanu have the best accuracy and very little bullet drop, if any. However, their weapons just don't do enough damage if you don't aim. Their weapons are best suited to medium range combat, where you don't need to worry so much about getting hit by the NC, and the TR are even less accurate.

I have problems with running this game on older computers, as I seem to get ~30 FPS on an ATI Radeon HD 5570, but it is still more than playable.

I honestly think there are so many scenarios, you should try the game out. The download time is worth it, I promise :)
  61. Jan 10, 2014
    Funny but beyond of a masterpiece.
    It's not pay per win but you must play for a few months just to get 1 decent weapon with attachments for a class and basic gear to not die in seconds with tanks and aircraft.
  62. Jan 2, 2014
    This game wow, 9/10. Always have an absolute blast when I play this game. Game is admiringly beautiful and freakin' huge. Only thing I don't like about this game is the progression speed, takes way to long to unlock a new weapon, not only that but none of your gun progression can be used in other classes which kind of sucks. There is a payment option to quicken that or buy other stuff like armour. But this game isn't a pay to win. All guns and classes are perfectly balanced. Nothing is OP in this game, if there is, thank god I wasn't abused by it. Overall, great game, it's free so why not Expand
  63. Dec 30, 2013
    Game is riddled with bugs and balance issues, the community is infested with trolls and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s and the amount of time you have to sink in till you have gear to compete with the rest of the players in the game is huge.
    The game is more about being fair then accuracy. Small arms fire can destroy a tank in a few seconds and aircraft in even less time. They have these wonderfully high end
    weapons that you can purchase with real money and when you get them into the game they unmodifiable compared to their counterparts as to be obsolete immediately. To keep things real fair anything you spent hard cash and not game certs on has little to no ability to hit most targets unless they are conveniently standing still. An assault rifle has better effective range and does more damage then a sniper rifle of the same type with a a better scope. The effective rang of most of your weapons is close range or beyond what the games render distance will allow you to see, and there fore lock onto and hit. This does not stop players who use (supposedly illegal and banned) add ons to hit you beyond ranges you can effectively return the favor. There is no combat and tactics just the almighty zerg push. One side gets enough players together and rolls over anything in their way.
    Until they redesign the unlock progress for weapons, fix a lot of major bugs that cause crashes or other frustrating issues and finally fix the balance problems between the 3 empires. than it's worth trying out till than ignore the game, don't let it suck you in so you don't end up being surrounded by and trolls all day. For what is supposed to be a future based game many of the game toys and tools are amazingly primitive and difficult to use

I only play the game because there's nothing else to play, every other Multilayer game I ahve tried multiple times is somehow even worse and even more boring than Planet side 2, i guess that's the only good thing i have to say about PS2, it's at least not as bad as Battlefield,Call Of Duty or the new horrible Team Fortress 2 aka Hat Fortress 2 called nowadays.
  64. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this Game. The epic battles ars so awsome, and its freetoplay its so nice. The Grapic ist not the best but for an freetoPlay game its amacing. when physx is on its so beatyfull. It makes lots of fun so i rated 10 points of 10 Expand
  65. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is amazing! There is a few bugs here and there, but nothing big. The reason why I love this game so much, is because it is a VERY large, futuristic, battlefield. If you love Battlefield, You will love PS2.
  66. Dec 22, 2013
    Alright so where to start I'm an avid gamer and I gotta say planetside 2 I am a shamed to say I put a sum of money(200$+) and 1 year and almost 1 month later all I have to see for it is this -tons generic guns -Low to no skill gameplay -1 new vehicle -a engine -massive amount of flaws and bugs SOE really messed up and I really hope if you read this you don't put money into that terrible game. Expand
  67. Dec 20, 2013
    I have written a different review about a year ago but since then the game got faster, better, and much more balanced.
    Planetside 2 is now the dream of OC gaming at it's finest hundreds of players on lag free servers, inside a real war run all by people, not AI.
    It. Also runs much better, and I am now able to Max the game on my mid range rig (core i5 650@4.5ghz, MSI gtx 760@1280mhz,
    6750mem and 8gb 1333mhz RAM).
    It only has 1 downside, and that is you need at least 4gb of RAM.
    If you have a fair PC you will be able to enjoy planetside at it's full potential.
    Also, I haven't paid a dollar and I never felt underpowered- it's not pay to win.
    I highly recommend.
  68. Dec 19, 2013
    I'm just wowed by people giving this bad reviews because of a learning curve or the "Pay 2 Win" aspects. You do know that almost every game now has a learning curve? Yes this is a semi-large one because it is such a massive game but it is actually pretty simple. Go to a territory, find A. B, C point and capture them and hold them for however long till it flips. Done. Want a vehicle? Go to a terminal. Want a new class? Go to a terminal. It is not that hard, you are just giving it probably 15 minutes then say "screw this" then pay 2 win? really? every single thing can be unlocked WITHOUT station cash besides camo and certain decals and such that don't even effect gameplay. Yes you have to put some time in effort to get the certs, but I played the game for a year without buying a single station cash or a membership and enjoyed every minute of it. Even Call of Duty or Battlefield have "good guns" which you have to progress to get. Guess what? Station Cash CANNOT be converted to certs and character abilities CANNOT be bought with Station Cash. So you cannot be level one with a fully certed Character, you can have a good gun if you decided to drop 10 dollars into the game just starting a character, but guns do not mean that much. I've seen people get 2 KDR with just starting weapons like the Gauss Rifle or SAW, you have to find a gun that fits your play style, and if you are dying a lot its because most likely you are using a ranged weapon for CQC or a CQC weapon for range. Its not that complicated of a game, I learned it in about an hour or two, and yes I died a lot, but as I played I got better, they don't hold your hand along like other games, and that's why I like it, most of you are adults, you don't need to be told every little aspect of something, learn it yourself by actually playing. Yes you do feel helpless when tanks come rolling over you as infantry because guess what, that's how it happens, if infantry could kill tanks easily then you wouldn't waste your time in a tank. Are you screaming at Battlefield when a tank cuts you down? So suck it up, this game is meant to be that way. Pull a heavy assault and shoot some rockets at it, or cert your guy up to get some C4. As you level up you get better equipment, you guys act like you've never seen this concept before, most FPS games are going for progression systems, high levels will beat you a lot, that's how it happens, and as you get better you will kill them. You can't just start a game and go killing BR 100s right off the bat because they've been in your shoes and know the game better and have had time and experience. The balancing is good, graphics are good, optimization is getting better, updated often. My only complaint with this game is it can get repetitive, but I have to tell myself to STOP playing it so I do not get bored of it because it is such a great game I can sit down for hours and play it. Unlike other shooters it requires some thinking, also the game is played better in a platoon, if you solo the game its fun for a while but you'll most likely be ghost capping and zerging your way along, outfits and platoons make the game a new level of fun. KDR in this game DOES NOT MATTER. Get that out of your head quick, a lot of the people I know that play are good players and still are under 1.0 KDR because this game is massive and especially as infantry if you come face to face with a tank you will probably die, that's how the game works, so get this whole CoD mentality of KDR out of your head when you play this game. Enjoy the massive fights and charges and taking over a continent with your faction. Teamwork makes this game fun, because a win over a territory and alert is more to brag about than a KDR. If you want a game that will entertain you and wow you then Planetside 2 is your game. It is massive, has progression, is one of the few free to play games that is not pay to win, if you put some time and effort into it you will probably get just as addicted to it as the large player-base the game has. Expand
  69. Dec 18, 2013
    The game started off fantastic but like any SOE game, SOE's habit of ruining a good thing through updates has happened once more. Balance is horrid, updates are nearly always lopsided adding almost absurd advantages/disadvantages for factions, vehicles or weaponry.

While that's to be expected perhaps with any SOE game, given that the game relies on a certification point system that is
    earned over time, it's infuriating to spend your precious certs on items, vehicles or classes only to have those choices irrevocably nerfed or broken without any way to get a refund on the certification points you spent.

The ability to refund/re-certify has been on their development plan for far over a year at this point but continues to be pushed off while huge, untested and bug-ridden patches are put out in odd succession.

Let alone that the game itself has 3 continents, each in a different stage of development making the game lopsided and uneven, the game suffers horribly from a fourth faction issue (where you can make alts for each faction and swap immediately to whatever faction is winning) has been a known issue since launch and unfixed despite that it makes the game a contest of who can swap to the winning side first.

Avoid at all costs. The game is now in a stale development cycle as SOE looks to launch it on PS4 and the latest update (PU2) has once again brought the servers down for the last 2-3 days.
  70. Dec 13, 2013
    The game is hard, i will start with that. It is very hard to learn. Having said that its time to look at it from the players point of view, the game looks amazing, the maps are enormous, and since its PvP, its going to be hard. I have read all these reviews of this game and were disgusted by the way people give it zero chance. You spawned once and got killed and you quit? I have been playing for a long time now and i will say right now that i have died a ton.. want proof? SerchAndDestry on the server Connery. Thats my name and where i am you can look me up. My KDR is 0.375. 3 months ago it was 0.185. You learn and you get better.

How to survive your first month:
    1: Pick Infiltrator and HIDE. You dont know how to play, no shame in that, so what you have to do is get the infiltrator (sniper) and get away from the battle toward your color, (blue, red, purple). Sit on the edge of a battle and get your kills from long shots. As a Infil, you can go invisible. Plus the infiltrators are the only class that has a built in scope. Watch fights from safety while learning controls saving up certs for your other classes.

2: If you dont have an outfit, find a squad! If you look in your social tab there is a button for squads, find an open squad and join. They will give you objectives with waypoints and orders, which makes the game easier when you have a goal.

3: DO NOT FRIENDLY FIRE! Watch your shots, friendly fire is a hallmark of a noob.

4: Using your certs wisely. Certs are sometimes hard to come by. Your first 30 better go toward a sight for another class gun. If you are over being a sniper and are ready to get into the battle, Heavy or Light Assault are a great place to start, Heavys have massive machine guns and built in shields so you can take a little more shots and they have rocket launchers, its wildly inaccurate from far away but still deadly at medium range. Light has jet packs and Carbine rifles, basically the close combat bread and butter. Spend your 30 certs on a red dot sight for either of these classes and you have a platform to build on, plus guns upgraded on lights can be used on engineers as well. There are alot of options that only need 1 cert on the customization window, one wont break the bank so get it while its hot.

5: Everyone Dies. Really this is the thing you must remember, EVERYONE DIES! The guy that killed you? He was probably killed 3 seconds after killing you so dont get angry, get back in the fight and kill him back (extra points for revenge kills), its a way of life on Auraxis (the planet)

6: You cant Fly. Airplanes are hard as f*** to fly. Spend some time in the training room practicing before trying to do the Top Gun thing. You will just get shot down in 34 seconds and be butt hurt. Liberators and Galaxys have multiple seats with guns. You wanna fly? Be a gunner.

7: Pick your faction carefully! You like red? Who cares. Aside from the elaborate back stories for the teams, there are very distinct differences in the teams. Each faction has a color related to their team; the Terran Republic (Red) boast faster firing rates and chainguns, but are ugly as sin. Vanu Sovereignty (purple) are people who use alien tech so they have lasers which feature no bullet drop but damage drops significantly at range. But it doesnt mean you cant headshot someone from 1000 yds with a pistol. And the best for last The New Conglomerate (blue) The Rebels. We (as in im NC) have high damage weapons. Our tank is the most powerful weapon in the game, and our guns put out the most dps. Our firing rate is standard, our bullet drop is normal, but when you hit a target they will know.

Well I could go on with lots of things but really these are the most important things, Dont listen to whiners who can spend 1 day learning the game before they start crying over how many times they get killed. Because like rule number 5, EVERYONE DIES. So come try the game come to the NC on my server and add me, i will personally show you the ropes and help you in any way i can.
  71. Dec 13, 2013
    This game has kept me playing for so many hours... It has been many years I didn't play the same game for so long. It's hard, it's huge, it's free to play and absolutely not pay to win. Skill matters here, as much as strategy and tactics. You have so many choices you just can play in a different way every time you die (and it happens a lot but it's not frustrating since you can respawn quite fast). The dev team gives a lot of attention to the community and keeps releasing patches to make the game better and better. New features and patches will continue to be released in the next years, plans for this game are ambitious and really long term lasting.

I must be honest here, I play since Wolfenstein 3D and I never seen in my life this epic fights with infantry, vehicles and aircrafts. Visuals are simply great. Teamplay is wonderfully made up.

It's free. Try this game. It is an absolute must for every FPS player out there.
  72. Dec 12, 2013
    Planetside 2, is one of the most impressive games I have played in terms of scale. The maps, or "continents" that you fight on are enormous and simulates a real war, requiring both skill and strategy in order to be successful. For a F2P game it is definitely worth a try. Saying this, however, planetside 2 has some frustrating flaws in ts presentation.
    Pros: The game is huge in scale and
    beautiful in look. Large fights with Platoons can be very fast-paced and exciting. Free-to play.
    Cons: Planetside 2 requires a decently strong computer to play and its scale can lead to a lot of travelling on foot just to get into a gunfight. Newcomers have very little room to improve and the game is easily dominated by those who have more experience. "Certs" the points with which you use to purchase upgrades take a long time to get and in order to unlock a gun you must play for a great deal of time. Lastly, the any vehicle can quickly kill you, which leads to many frustrating moments while playing.
  73. Dec 11, 2013
    A brilliant game, smooth mechanics a good progression system and the best thing? one word SCALE it elevates the game to a epic level of brilliance. Also unbelievably it's FREE GET IT NOW
  74. Dec 7, 2013
    Game is good should give it a try,that being said...to all the neg reviews...

So many recent neg's omg wtf ppl....Sitting here reading alot of them and its the same thing for most of them(i suck,so it has to be the games fault
  75. Dec 6, 2013
    A really great game that everyone that likes "First Person Shooters" should have installed on there PC.

I cant recommend this for the Playstation because I will never own one to play games on. I will only game on a PC.

Some minor bugs shows up now and then but that's todays reality with a company's ability to patch on the fly. Its really that games hit the market with flaws at
    all, but they do, and this is no exception. It is getting better and better every week, and this game still is one of my all time favorite FPS that I plan on playing as often as I am able to. This is coming from a gamer that has owned all Battlefield games and COD. This time though I spent that money on PS2 instead of the other AAA titles.

I would have a score of 10, but the bugs drops it to a score of 9

Download it today and find out for yourself what MMOFPS is all about.
  76. Nov 29, 2013
    I played this game for over a year, I've seen it's ups and downs, it's failures and successes. Let me tell you that I had some truly epic moments that immersed me in the world and that I will remember forever. But that's not the kind of thing the game promotes, you see, SOE has a very unclear goal for this game. It started of as a game that seemed to take itself pretty seriously, there were clearly defined factions, lots of robust lore, and it at least made an attempt to immerse the player in it's world.

Since then Planetside 2 has been on a downward spiral. with SOE needing more funding they turned to sillier and sillier ways of milking people for money. It started off fairly tame, a couple hockey masks and a skull mask as cosmetics. But it just kept going and going, eventually ending at to the point where it is today. There are ridiculous camo options ranging from palm tree to zebra stripes, there are fireworks launchers, evil laugh horns, confetti C4, MLG decals, overt promotions, etc.

Don't expect to get immersed enough to enjoy the game after the novelty of big battles wears off and reveals the abhorrent money grubbing underneath.
  77. Nov 27, 2013
    Okay, So I see a lot of negative reviews here. From what I can tell most of these negative reviews are negative because the game lags on peoples machines well its not their fault your computer sucks. The other ones seem to be from people who suck at the game, again not their fault. This game is awesome. Hands down favorite shooter to play online. You just need the machine and skill to have fun.
  78. Nov 24, 2013
    Brilliant. The start can be grinding but once you've learn what to do then it's amazing! 250+ hours in game and I am not stopping. The combined arms can be frustrating but with a little planning and teamwork can be pure bliss. A year on and this game is only getting better. 10/10
  79. Nov 22, 2013
    So this game is addicting, but is definitely more fun with others. Although it is bugged and alot of times that gets you killed, it is still fun. They really need to fix a lot, when there are a TON of people playing you can barely get into the game if at all. Since the optimization patch, the performance of the game has been much better but there is way more to be desired such as weapon equilization and distance rendering. I find it utterly ridiculous that you can be shot out of the sky by aa that you cant even see. I know its free but the weapons and gear you buy is extremely overpriced. 7 dollars for pretty much every weapon is crap especially if it doesnt carry over to all you characters no matter the faction. (such as vehicle weapons that arent faction specific i.e halberd, m60, liberator weapons etc. I shouldnt have to pay 7 dollars for a weapon for every faction of character. There are plenty more upsides than downsides for sure but this game, as with any other, has many flaws. Overall it is definitely a game worth playing especially with a group of friends. Expand
  80. Nov 19, 2013
    Played it a bit when it first came out, but got bored with it fairly quickly. Took a long time to get to any real combat. Once you finaly got there it all just didn't feel very fun or exciting.

Then just for the heck of it i tried it again a few weeks ago. This is a decision i do not regret.. The game has improved massively since i last played it. The gameplay is fun and challenging.

This game is what Battlefield was. A TEAM PLAYER game. You don't win anything by playing alone. You win by working as a team. That's where the game shines most. The teamwork.. You can have amazing fun and epic battles when battles are led by commanders that know their tactics. And squads work together.
    If you expect to play this by yourself as you would Battlefield 3. You might aswell head back to that, cause you won't find this fun.

It takes time to get better gear in this game. You can't play for a couple of days and expect to have unlocked 7 new guns and 15 new attachments. You earn Certs as you play the game and with these you can buy new weapons, attachments, vehicle upgrades and upgrades for your Individual classes.
    If you want the better gear, you gotta play longer to get the Certs to buy it. It is not a pay to win game. You can do just fine playing without paying. Though if you are impatient, you will find that it helps, buying a premium account. You really don't need to though. You will find that just buying a grip for you gun for 100 certs/5 good hours of playtime, will show huge improvements. Though it will take a long time to get certs enough for the best gear.
  81. Nov 18, 2013
    All these reviews are WAY old. The current Planetside 2 is awesome with a massive game update to optimize game performance and graphics. Why is everyone disliking this game. I've seen some people's reviews about being killed as a starter, and complaints about the full-on battles, and to put it out for those people, EVERYONE IN THE GAME HAS GONE THROUGH THAT. and yet millions of people still play it. Overall, THIS GAME IS AWESOME Expand
  82. Nov 17, 2013
    Great pick up and play shooter. Looks amazing at highest graphical settings, I'll often just pause to take it all in as thousands of lasers shoot past. Very easy to get immersed into it and a great feeling when you infiltrate enemy bases and take over to allow your team to proceed.
  83. Nov 16, 2013
    Simply put, I play on the worst computer possible to run this game. Lowest possible graphics settings and I've hit 5 fps. However, even with all that I can safely say this is by far the best free to play shooter out there. The scale is just epic.
  84. Nov 16, 2013
    Planetside 2 is a game that would obviously get ALOT of hate. Its not made for everyone and thats easy to see after about 10 hours of gameplay.

Like games such as Team Fortress 2, Natural Selection 2 and Mount & Blade: Warband, the first few hours of Planetside are incredibly hard and frustrating due to the highly experienced community. The way the games works is also very hard to get
    used to. If you aren't enjoying the game after about 8-10 hours then you might as well stop playing, if not then you will most likely be having an amazing time.

The graphics, controls, mechanics, and pretty much everything in this is outstanding. The only negative thing I have against the game is the fact that you will have to spare about 30 mintues to about an hour to play a decent game and, unless you have a friend to play with, it gets pretty boring after a while.

Its fun and you might as well download the free-to-play title, as you may enojy it very much.
  85. Nov 14, 2013
    Often a 1v1 close encounter will result in whoever gets a head-shot or who is a Vanu. If you use aim-down sights, your strafing ability is wrecked (even with the guns which only cut it by 50%), if you use hip fire you'll probably be lucky to get a head-shot which gives you an annoying choice where one is rarely better than the other and you regret not doing it the other way. No sniping would encourage more infantry since sniping is the reason why you wouldn't play infantry at all. No headshots and you could keep sniping because then you couldn't pin down any inferior number of infantry. Knifing is awesome though. This game is totally the opposite of traditional FPS and it's such a shame because without all the modern features and mechanics it would be amazing. Sometimes it's obvious you should play World of Tanks/Planes when you actually want to play infantry other than Infiltrator. Vehicle and air play is really good but if you're not into it, you'll really tire of waiting to invade the enemy base only to find they give up really fast and you sit around for 3-10 minutes for capture because you cannot move on to take the next base. Stealth-killing is risky but it doesn't really suit this game since it is very anti-rush and there should be power in numbers and should not reward luck. Cloak is easy to spot and triggering it on/off is very audible. Any class can be stealthy but with a lot of open areas and places to snipe, sometimes the game becomes incredibly frustrating. Engineers have to be vulnerable to repair vehicles which doesn't really make sense when you're using a damn gun to repair stuff, a lot of fights are just explosives blowing up everything and driving back to try and push towards the enemy base. The choice of armors is pretty much either reduced bullet damage or reduced explosive damage, but even with flak armor, you can get 1 shot by rockets fired by infantry (it's still useful though (just not much)). Nanoweave is a necessity if you're interested in close/mid-range infantry combat. Often a nade/c4 or air fire will likely result in you being useless anyway. Sadly the game is not very well optimized and has some crash problems. Then there's the issue where you cannot pre-load areas you are going to deploy to which means less action! Instant action sometimes doesn't work and honestly there is zero sense to this feature since drop podding into an enemy base and pod-crashing air units is very unfair. By the way I can fly a plane into another one and mine will blow up while the other continues on it's merry way with no damage taken. Instant action is for solo players and PS2 is NOT for solo gamers. Killing people...it's fun but not rewarding in the context of credits...objectives are the most important thing which I feel is a bit silly since taking over bases with a big group is rarely fun (usually the numbers are heavily one-sided). PS2 had potential but got some of the fundamentals wrong. Smaller worlds with less paths to go through would result in more intense battles and less running around. More corridors would encourage confrontation rather than waiting for more players and limit the usefulness of vehicles. Instead it's scrap battles everywhere and a platoon of players who stomp one place, while one of your platoons stomps some other place which is absolutely boring, most of the problem is that there are THREE worlds and when you're losing in one world, you go to another world. I don't know why, but this is a fatal flaw in PS2, I've seen it ruin other games. Expand
  86. Nov 12, 2013
    Never ending wars with hundreds of players on three diverse groups on three different, massive continents. What else? Oh yeah, it's free! If you can run this game, play it! Be anything: from a silent, patient sniper picking off enemy forces from great distances, to being a pilot, massacring ground forces and dog fighting enemy pilots! Join one of three major military groups and even join communities of players in outfits! Play Now! Expand
  87. Nov 9, 2013
    I have nothing against games that are free to play in fact I quite like them, however I would appreciate it if they said pay to win instead of free to play when that is the case, Planetside2 is an example of pay to win. Yes items are obtainable via game play if you have 100 years to spare... You are fighting to achieve nothing, you can't win your contribution doesn't matter because there is no goal there is no aim just shooting, anything you capture would have swapped hands by the time you log back on again. So yeh mindless shooting without achieving anything this game is simply for those who like shooting. Expand
  88. Nov 3, 2013
    Okay, imagine a game like Battlefield (without the destruction)- great battles, with ground, infantry, and air vehicles battling eachother. Now imagine those battles, but on a MASSIVE scale- and I mean like an entire planet being the the map, and three 200-man armies fighting against each other.

That is Planetside 2- epic battles on a MASSIVE scale.
  89. Oct 28, 2013
    The game is not newbie friendly, you cannot accomplish anything, solo. While I realize it is meant to be a huge battlefield game, there are limits. The shop is intended to make people, including people with a subscription, to spend extra money on an inferior game.

Planetside 1 had a whole host of issues... planetside 2 has almost all of the same issues, but is free to play. Take my
    advise, go buy a battlefield game, save for titanfall, etc. This is not worth the hard disk space. How it has an overwhelmingly positive review is far beyond me.

I can see some good in it but it cannot overshadow the bad. Takes a thousand and one anti-vehicle weapons to take out a friggin BUGGY!!! AN ARMED CAR!!!! Let alone a tank... There are so many things that could have made this game, one of the BEST SHOOTERS, in history, but they just took it the wrong direction. I realize this is an opinion but at least make it so infantry can KILL TANKS WITHOUT HAVING TO HOSE IT DOWN WITH A THOUSAND ROCKETS!!!! ESPECIALLY SINCE THERE CAN BE SEVERAL HUNDRED IN AN AREA IN AT A GIVEN TIME!!!! Oh sure, you can justify that it has a long cooldown before you can order another but... by the time its destroyed most drivers will have spent around 30+ minutes in one...

The health/shield system is appalling, it makes halo's system look bloody brilliant! The starter weapons are akin to pellet guns. Try taking on more than 3 at a time when you are alone? Doesnt work, does it? Nope you just die instantly... What is the point of playing a game where you cannot 'feel like you are making a difference' in a persistent universe. 1v1, about who can aim, 2v1 you will die unless you are lucky, 3v1 you are dead. They do not reward skill! While I realize this is not one of those types of games it does not do the shooter genre any justice.
  90. Oct 27, 2013
    Great fun for those who learn to play it, Most of the performance problems have been taken care of as well as the balance problems. There is simply nothing else like it.
  91. Oct 26, 2013
    Planetside 2 is a definitive First Person Shooter. This game will change your perception of what is and isn't a truly massive war title. The open world, massive player base, and pure fun this game brings to the table makes this a good title for any PC gamer. That's not to say PS2 is flawless. Far from it. The learning curve is much too steep, and I personally dislike their pay-to-win-esque profit style. Still, any FPS aviciando should definitely give Planetside 2 a look. Expand
  92. Oct 26, 2013
    This is a good game that suffers from the demanding specs. If you have a good pc then you'll love PlanetSide 2.
    Just remember guns are like the price of a Triple A title!
  93. Oct 22, 2013
    Terrible terrible. No real feel of accomplishment, flying is impossible, or using any vehicle really. Everything dies in about 2 seconds, and your respawn timers are 20 seconds for inf, 15+ minutes for vehicles. Its dreadfully boring and you are forced to play infantry. Only the elite get to play with vehicles. And even then the Elites are stopped from playing because pleb guns like lock on rocket launchers literally shoot a rocket out that goes directly to the closest enemy vehicle u were looking at and hits it. People spend about 1000 hours of playtime to be able to fly and brand new players need about an hour to get lock on rockets and ruin everyone's fun.

It's interesting at first, but play it for more then a week with at least 2 hours a day playtime and you will realize getting any new weapon from earning certifications is impossibly elongated. This is due to the Free To play model that it has. Which also forces SOE to make weapons/vehicles over powered when they first release them, so that they sell better, which they then nerf to the ground, wasting your money or time you have spent. Everything is about seven dollars each, a gun, a camo, a hat, you name it. And most of the time you will accidentally realize what you bought was a waste, due to not exactly understanding how precisely the weapon or game works.

In this game you can level up. There is no point in leveling up, you get nothing for it, and when you cap to 100 you still get nothing. People don't even acknowledge it in the game. Even the people who are lvl 100 don't really like the game, because they too know all of the above and have just exploited it against other players.

Go play battlefield 4.
  94. Oct 14, 2013
    Could have been a good game but the pay to win structure of the game ruins it. Don't bother trying to earn anything by actually playing the game unless you're willing to blow a week or more just to get a gun. I found the more I played it the more futile any efforts towards progressing became. Frustrating and not fun.
  95. Oct 10, 2013
    When it launched, I thought PlanetSide 2 was going to be THE Game that was going to make me delete all my other ones. Huge maps with lots of enemies to fights, colorful graphics, lots of weapons, vehicles and other unique features. But after playing for a while I realized the game has no goal at all. It is a neverending deathmatch where no team can really win the game. I still log on once in a while and I find that there are less and less players on the servers, and those that remain are hardcore gamers with 1000's of hours played who have already reached the maximum level (makes it hard for noobies to get started). There appear to be a lot of balance issues between factions and vehicles vs infantry. In conclusion, the game has lots of potential but really lacks some very important features that would keep the players interested. Expand
  96. Oct 6, 2013
    This is a Free2Play game and I still feel like I got ripped off. It's THAT bad. Great concept, absolutely terrible execution.
    1) Better have a high end PC or it's a no-go for playing.
    2) It's not a steep learning curve, it's a learning wall. One that you will pound your head against for hours upon hours.
    3) Vehicle controls...They are so bad that I have to wonder if SoE deliberately
    made them difficult or if they are actually THAT incompetent.
    4) This game is PAY TO WIN. Anyone saying different is LYING to you.

Game looks great on the surface. Just don't look to closely or you'll see all the cracks (that happened to be filled with crap)
  97. Oct 6, 2013
    Before i start i would like to point out that this game is FREE, to those of you giving a FREE game of this quality a zero your quite frankly completely wrong. Unlike many free games Planetside 2 is not a pay to win although you can pay to unlock weapons they can all be unlocked without paying a penny, only skins require real money to obtain.

The game is by no means perfect there's a
    steep learning curve that can be a pain to get passed and getting dropped into the action when its on such a huge scale can be disorientating and frustrating to new players. The weapons unlock quite slowly and there is no real end game no faction can actually lose.

Now with that out the way Planetside 2 is possibly the most epic experience you can have on any game, thousands of people fighting epic battles with aircraft tanks and infantry is just amazing to be apart of. Especially with some friends or a decent squad or outfit where you work as a team to capture of defend strongholds. This game far surfaces other FPS games like Halo and COD in my opinion and does so on a scale that's beyond belief and all this from a free game.

There is no reason not to try this game its free and wont cost you a penny get some friends on Skype or teamspeak and you will have a great time.
  98. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is the best free to play game I have ever played. The battles are huge! probably more than 200 players in a fight. The game however is badly optimized but the game play is great. It requires lots of teamwork and this game is amazing. It is free after all.
  99. Sep 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best game im lvl 17 and i like big battles in this game.im on north america im red team join it and fun and enjoy.All players dont like this game is styuped Expand
  100. Sep 18, 2013
    A decent free-to-play team based shooter with elements and influences taken from a variety of sources but a game completely ruined by pay2win mechanics. Disappointing.
  101. Nov 21, 2012
    On the face of Planetside 2 is total brilliance, just the pure concept of the game and sheer scale is amazing. Although in saying this I feel there are too many positive reviews for this game because of people being "wowed" by how dramatically different the game is. The most major downside to this game is not so much that is has a hard learning curve it's the fact the the development team spent so much time in beta asking the community for input, much of this has been seen and is in the game however the most critical part of a game is getting players actually in to the game and actually caring about the faction they're fighting for. There is nothing, well, there's a 2 min into sequence that tells you nothing other that "Alright soldier we need to beat the enemy" and hot drops you onto a random base that has players in it. There is no tutorial on how to play the game, no new players understand what is going on and I'm finding it hard to keep my friends interested because they feel there is no substance to the game. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant platform for a game however there is no story that is given to you, no overview of the faction, hell, not even an explanation of why the hell these people are even fighting, it's a piss poor effort and doesn't deserve all the high praise it's been getting. There is a lot they need to fix, this should NOT have been release yet, it's not ready. They only "just" got the 3rd continent out a few weeks prior to release and has had little testing. There is a myriad of bugs that are inexcusable of a game expecting people the throw money at it for it's sheer awesomeness.... There is no polish to this game. A game with no story? That is inexcusable for any game.

On a side note the gun play is frankly crap, you feel disconnected from your weapon because the recoil isn't smooth, it just bounces around unnaturally. Finally, I need to mention this game just keeps failing in the optimization department, if you're an AMD user you can practically give up on having good graphics or a decent FPS, you'll be lucky to get 30FPS in actual "Advertised" fights (more than 40 people in an area) not to mention you won't be able to get the nice shiny graphics provided by PhysX because it will fry your processor trying to use this. Overall..

8/10 For the dev's effort, great so far
    5/10 Graphical performance
    7/10 Gameplay 0/10 Story/Factions/Lore/Background
    2/10 Introduction and training
    10/10 for atmosphere (provided you're not getting horrible FPS)

Basically SOE need to sort their game out, sure they have a workable "fun" game but that's expected of a BETA and NOT a fully released game. It feels rushed and at least some effort into a story would have been a massive help to the game. But after a while this game gets very, very bland.

I have some faith in SOE, I've supported them this whole beta and I expect great things from them over them over the next year and hey, maybe this time next year they'll have a game worthy of being called "complete".

I suggest people pick this game up, give it a try and see if you enjoy the concept, even if it's a bit shoddy now it should be awesome down the track .

1. May 10, 2013