8.7

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Wow. Just wow. This is easily THE BEST game i have ever played. The storyline was absolutely phenomenal and was the most original story I have ever seen. You just cannot predict this stuff. The puzzles were on the perfect borderline of difficulty by not being too easy and boring while at the same time not being frustratingly hard. The different environments and testing obstacles keep the fun coming. Portal was really more of an experiment then a game (a very successful one at that), but Portal 2 is the real deal. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    This game was absolutely amazing, the story telling, complex(-ish) puzzles, the color theme, everything, not to mention it has a lot of replayability values. Valve truly has made a masterpiece here. There really isn't more to be said, oh and to the people who complain about the length, this is a free-roam game, you're not being bound to someone leading you everywhere and telling you what to like, like in CoD or some other generic shooter for the mindless masses. Valve, keep doing what you're doing ;) Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve did an awesome job carrying on from where Portal 1 left off, the twists and turns in the story were as entertaining as they were unseen. I've yet to beat the single player campaign, but finished the whole co-op campaign in 6hrs. Honestly, I have no idea where people are pulling "It's just a 3hr game" from, because unless you're just rushing through everything without even caring about the storyline/graphic design/changes to the spaces there is just no freaking way you can beat the whole game (single player and campaign) in just 3hrs. And if you're seriously just buying this game to rush to the end, then you need to stop playing video games, because they are meant to be enjoyed.

Yes there is a DLC store, but the items it provides are not at all needed to complete the game or even have fun with it, they are nothing more than hats and other crap to customize your character in co-op. NOTHING MORE.

This game is well worth the price tag if you enjoyed the first game, even more so if you're a fan of co-op games (which the portal 2 co-op experience went way over what I was expecting it to be!).
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply put the best experience I ever had in a game.
    The humor ist so tremendous I hardly laugh while playing but with Portal 2 I REALLY could not stop laugh out loud. The story is fantastic, lightning up every heart that cares about the aperture universe.
    And I don't really want to even talk about the game-play.... it makes a cover-based shooter with quick-time-event look like a tricycle
    trying to keep up with a rocket heading to a new planet. Expand
  5. Apr 23, 2011
    It's sickening there are so many failed trolls and /v/tards that are rating this game lower than it's actual given content. Portal 2 took a great leap forward from most games, including it's predecessor, and gave me a product that I will never forget. For one, it has an amazing and beautiful story, but I will not go into too many details due to spoilers. VALVe also managed to integrate amazing and hilarious jokes in, which have already began spawning new memes, as all VALVe games do. Now, gameplay-wise, Portal 2 is also gives us a great amount of relief. There is now multiple new items and science to use to solve the puzzles, such as the gels and aerial faith plates. It's a great break from the casual arcade shooters that are being released by Activision, which have plagued the gaming industry, but VALVe has still managed to stay gold-- Portal 2 is brilliant and pure. I find it difficult to believe anyone would give this game lower than a 9, I guess an 8 would be good too if you have a rotten taste in games, but this game is surely the best release of the year so far. If I could, I would definitely award it with higher than a 10, say a 15/10, but I cannot, sadly. If you enjoy good humor, good puzzles, an amazing story, good visuals, and a great game overall, I suggest purchasing yourself a copy of Portal 2. Expand
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    All of the 0's are just trolls readers. Here's what's what: I've been playing the game for about 6 hours now, indulging in every single detail (because I'm a Valve and Portal fan), and have only reached halfway through. If you just keep on going and skip all the minor details, i expect this game to last at least 8 hours for you. However, this game is great, hands down. The story isn't the best, but out of what's coming in the recent industry with modern shooters, this is second to none. I thought I'd be seeing the same things from Portal 1. And for the first few hours, it did; then it brought out the big guns. Bottom line: I've been having a blast with this game.

ALSO ABOUT DLC: There is none. If you're familiar with Team Fortress 2, they have a Mann Co. Store where you buy skins and little things for your co op robots. **DLC will be announced later on and will most likely include levels for the co-op campaign and new items for the robots. If they follow their fashion with Team Fortress 2, THESE UPDATES WILL BE FREE (on PC).**
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    Didn't think they'd be able to do it again, but once again Valve has created an actually GREAT game. Which is saying something since there are so few great's within the last 10 years. Just like Portal, Portal 2 has nigh infinite replay-ability, and I'm sure by the end of the month there will be tons of video's showing the tricks to each chamber and hardcore professional's showing off speed runs. It is a challenge and requires you to think (of course, it IS a puzzler!). If i could i'd give it a 20/10, but alas, 10/10 is as high as the slider goes, so it will do. It is awesome, amazing, and completely worth the price. Very glad I got the pre-order, as I'm sure the price will rocket up. I'd say more, but what follows is my response to the children downrating the game. Read if you're curious as to why these children are saying what they are saying.

Now, gotta give my $.50 to these kids/idiots/trolls down rating this obviously great game. You should not read further if you think garbage like Halo, Guitar hero, CoD, TF2, etc. are 'great', as you're too young to understand what even a good game is. Turn off the computer, go back to you're homework. If you are not young and still insist those are great, you are NOT a gamer. Now, the one's claiming "4 hours gameplay...$80 dlc..too easy.." etc., are obvious trolls and have NOT played this great game. Do yourself a favor and do NOT listen to them. Took me about 12 hours total to beat both single player and co op, with less than 15 or so deaths (and I'm accident prone). DLC? I dont know what the %&@$ these guys are smoking, but I want some. The "DLC" is NOT "DLC". It is ALL purely cosmetic additions for your co-op bot. That it. No extra levels, no special short cuts, no special bonuses, absolutely nothing that will give you anything except a slightly altered character model design for your 1 (ONE!) partner at a time that will see it when you play co-op. It is obvious that it was put in purely as a service for the generation of 'lookz i haz hatz lawlz', which are almost entirely very young gamers (or not even actual gamers at all). Also, some of them can be earned thru achievements. As for being too easy, again, I want whatever it is these guys are smoking. If you could do a 10-15 minute speed run of portal 1, without cheats/hacks/altering of code, so ya know, legitimately do the impossible, then yes it MIGHT be easy. Not bragging but to give an example, my personal best for a speed run of portal 1 was 22 minutes, and I did not find portal 2 to be 'easy' by any means. It was challenging and required thinking as well as fast reflexes, more than I can say for most shooters or puzzlers released in the last 10 if not 15 years. As for it being short, again, either they are either a- smoking something really, really potent b- idiots or c- trolls/people who never played either Portal. Many can average 20-40 minutes on a sped run of portal 1, with a first run taking a couple hours or more. Valve lived up to and beyond their advertisement of 4x more game time, and that's from my personal experience of time spent so far. While I am not nearly as good as some at it, the average gamer will easily spend hour's upon hour's on either play mode, and that is just the first play thru's before one gets faster and/or learns tricks. Console port? Far far from it. It is obviously made for the PC, with the PC gamer in mind. The reason they say 'its a port' is cause of the half second that text will occasionally flash when you actively save that says "do not turn off the console". Know what that is? Easier coding on their part, and any gamer will know what they mean regardless. Upset about the ARG? Well, as they saying goes, that's what happens when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me. NEVER did Valve say, directly in a press release, that "Playing all these games will release it days early!". Nor did they put a gun to your head and tell you to buy the sack, as well as play it. It was a fun event meant to build up excitement for it, as well as promote a dozen indie games. BTW, Valve lost or didn't gain as much money on the sack, fyi. Majority of the money for that went directly to the indie company that created each game. If you did buy it, good for you! You helped at least 1 or several smaller game companies make a bit more money and promote their games, which guess what, are at least good if not great too for a small price. If you jumped into it, spending the money on the sack and spending the hours upon hours playing expecting days earlier instead of the already great 12 hours, it is YOUR fault.
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    The game so far has been great, I'm almost done with single player and it's met my expectations. People complaining about day 1 DLC, it's hats and skins for co-op and has no effect on game-play. If you don't like it don't buy it, it's not there for everyone. I'm looking forward to getting started on co-op.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Hands-down the best Valve game to-date. The experience is hilarious, suspenseful, perfectly paced and crafted. The graphics look and run superbly, and the world is gorgeous and intriguing. The story and its twists are incredible, and the characters are all flawless. Single-Player is less than 10 hours, which many will gripe about, but it was well worth the money.
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    I think this game is awesome. It's better than the first. The people hating on this game have no clue at all.

1.) The game took me about 7 - 10 hours to beat. I honestly was expecting just 4 hours and even if it was just 4 hours long, I would have been perfectly happy with that! I GOT MY $59.99 MONEY'S WORTH. The game does something that not many games can do. It kept me entertained
    though and through. Not once did I feel like the game was needless padding itself out, nor did I feel the "Come on. GET ON WITH IT." I felt with other games. (Like I did with games from the Halo, Gears of War and Call of Duty series)

2.) Those who are complaining about the DLC. First of all, it's COSMETIC. You do not have to buy it in order to enjoy the game. I didn't spend a single dime on it, and you know what... I STILL GOT MY $59.99 MONEYS WORTH FROM THIS GAME!

3.) Those who are complaining about the graphics being dated. Get a better computer! Seriously! If the textures and graphics look bad then you are playing the game on the lowest settings, because your computer cannot handle this game. Get a job, and build a better computer, or go play it on the consoles and STFU!

Valve. I applaud you guys for making this game and I really hope you make another portal game.... after you finish Half Life 3! XD

The developers did an excellent job and I give this game a 10/10.
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a travesty. Not the game, these reviews. First of all, it's clear that nobody complaining about the "console ports" understands how the Source engine works. IT WAS WRITTEN FOR PC. The port was from the PC to the CONSOLES. Not the other way around. It's stupidity bordering on malice to claim that. Stupidity being 'not understanding the Source engine, and not thinking to look it up' and malice being astroturfers, or people trying to sink the game. Valve probably overlooked some of the menu text, hidden in a little translatable text file somewhere.

Second, who does this in 4 hours? I'm a competent FPS gamer, and I did it in 6. This is what they said it would take. But I rushed a little. If I did it again, I'd spend more time looking around and listening to dialogue, but that's because I'm looking to have fun. I missed whole hidden areas in the first game that I found later. And I'll be able to play the *other half of the game* (another 6 hours) with my friends over the next few days. Then I'll replay the one-player now that I can focus on the world and story - much like I did with Portal 1.

The gameplay is entirely different. The gels, funnels, and bridges almost entirely change the way you think about modifying the game world, in the same way the portals did in the original game. Again, to claim otherwise suggests that somebody either didn't play the game or is trying to sink it.

Do I think the store is stupid? Sure, that's why I won't buy anything from it. If it really bothered me, I wouldn't play with anybody who did - but I'm not a braying jackass, so I'll just not sweat it. You're welcome to, though, and the store is limited to stickers and hats and that sort of thing - so what's the big deal?

Come on everyone. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    I found the first half of the game even better than the original, but the second half just blew my mind. Quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Took me about 8.5 hours for the single player game with only a few pauses when stumped, so don't put much stock in reviews that say 3-4 hours. There is obviously some kind of coordinated effort to discredit the game, but you're seriously missing out if you don't play it for yourself. Expand
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is amazing, another valve classic. It is better than the first one, don't know why people say it is not, more puzzles and longer game with more story = better in my book. The dialogs in the game are really funny and make the adventure really enjoyable along with the awesome BGM.

Don't pay attention to the moronic reviews from a bunch of haters who only came to spam, this game is
    great and no amount of hate is gonna change that.

There's some debate going about some hat store or something, but I really don't a crap about hats and if they are in there well cool for those who do like them, I'm busy having fun playing the game instead of giving a hoot about an in-game store.

So go buy it, what are you waiting for?!
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of the year. The ending was beautiful and the game ran perfectly on my laptop when tf2 doesn't even run that well. The DLC is fine lets you do what you want to your character without affecting game play but maybe this will show how little people will care about the DLC but what ever.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Now, this game is a piece of art, I can't understand why people are disagreeing on the marketing and lowering the score just for this, the thing is: Portal 2 is a very, VERY, good game, it will probably get the GOTY easily, if another contender won't appear. And honestly, the soundtrack is good, the outro is good too, why are people hating?
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    This is, by far, the most polished game I have ever played. I can't even imagine how much prime content was cut out of the prerelease copies to leave the pristine diamond-sharp game of Portal 2.

The writing, the audio, the dynamic sound effects - they are all absolutely perfect! I finished the single player campaign in about 12 hours over the last two days. I've only spent about 20
    minutes in multiplayer but I can't wait to spend more! A perfect 10. Expand
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    Just finished this game, and it is honestly one of the most atmospheric and rewarding games that I have ever played. I understand that the humor may not find an audience for some people, even though it is quite lighthearted despite being somewhat "dark." The writing is very clever and Valve melds in multiple seemingly standard tropes into an quirky, unique product. The game really shines in terms of overall polish; glancing at the environment just supports this overall perspective that this game is complete and that all the puzzles were thoroughly mapped and designed in a way that can sometimes be challenging, but not impossible, and extremely rewarding. Valve took a lot of the same puzzle mechanics from the first game and expanded on them. The graphics themselves are sort of dated, but Valve more than makes up for this by having an art style that is distinct and engaging.

Honestly, if you're looking for a game that is evidently polished and, although short, redeems itself by being just plain satisfying: Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is amazing plain and simple. The arguments of those who rated the game 1 and 0 make no sense In the actual context of the game. Short gameplay seems to be the main problem, but if you blitz through the puzzles, you will be missing half the game such as the excellent voiceacting and beautiful scenery. The point is to take the game slow and let yourself be immersed in it, not just run through the puzzles. The graphics are brilliant for a 7 year old engine and though the dlc and the potato thing was disappointing, the actual game itself is close to flawless. Expand
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    To all these users saying the game is 4 hours, IT'S FALSE. I rushed a fair amount-I mean I listened to all the dialogue, but I didnâ
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    The best Valve game that I have played so far. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.
    Well paced, good story, great atmosphere. Even the somewhat short length of 4 hours didn't detract too much from the game because of how well everything flowed.
    The puzzles could have been harder, and the linearity, at times, was frustrating, but overall a great game and definitely one worth the
    money I invested in it. Expand
  21. Apr 25, 2011
    Brilliant story and experience. Though the puzzles could have been harder, still the best game in a very very long time. I wish more games were this good.
  22. Apr 25, 2011
    This is Valve's best game, bar none.

Amazing writing, humour, level design, art design, animation - one of the best games ever made, and a triumph that it was simply able to overcome such enormous expectations and hype.

Bravo.
  23. Sep 10, 2011
    This is a perfect sequel, everything is better than the first one. There is no downside except that the game is short, but that's normal for almost every game released on this generation. Valve did it again, they created another masterpiece. The co-op is fun and has some great challenge in it. This is simply one of those games you shouldn't miss out this year.
  24. BMF
    Apr 21, 2011
    All the people who gave negative reviews dont know what they are talking about. With portal 2 Valve showed they are still the number one gaming company on the planet and I cant wait to see what Half Life 3 and source engine 2 will bring to the table. Portal 2 shows that puzzle games can also be story driven epics with highly detailed environments and characters that you wish you could meet in real life. Coop and single player combined took around 13 hours to complete and I will definitely be jumping back in game for more. Expand
  25. Apr 22, 2011
    Brilliant. An example of gaming done right, without resorting to violence yet still exciting. Imaginative and intelligent plot, music and gameplay with equal parts drama, introspection, loneliness and action. And comedy, of course!
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about. I haven't beaten it yet...around 5 hrs in...but I'm close. The game is superb. Yes it feels similar to the first, but why mess up a broken formula? There are so many great new mechanics that keep the game fresh and exciting. The graphics are a little less than they could have been, but IMO still look fantastic especially on an older engine. Honestly the graphics don't look a whole lot weaker than some of the other subpar games released within the past year or so (looking at you CoD...). The game is very inventive...great puzzle that require thinking to solve. Portal 2 also has incredible voice acting and sounds. The story is even a thrill.

To the people complaining I don't get it. The DLC complaint is just ridiculous. You know that it's just silly things then why buy it? Valve doesn't force you to buy the hats and gestures. Who cares if your robot can twirl or wave in coop? Seriously....if you need new ways to communicate with your partner in coop there's two programs called Ventrillo and TeamSpeak that can handle that for you.

I'm tired of seeing good games get bad reviews cause everyone is sour on this DLC material. Yes it's annoying, but there's not much going to happen. The industry is going this way so deal with it. If you don't want the material, don't buy it. At least with Portal 2 the DLC is ridiculous things that don't matter...they didn't put part of the storyline in there or anything so people should just calm down.

Bottom line...buy this game and fully enjoy the game of the year candidate. Honestly this is avg a 95 by critics right now?! Cmon they can't all be paid off =P. If you skip out on this cause of the ridiculous things people are throwing negative reviews at it for...then you're missing out on one of the best experiences I've ever had in gaming.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    The negative reviews aren't even logical- an obvious console port? It's A VALVE GAME. The dialogue is excellent- you really feel for the characters. Valve took a risk at trying to put emotion into robots, and they sure as hell succeeded. I was crying at the end of this game. The storyline is really gripping and pulls you into the plot.

Story aside, the puzzles are a lot more challenging,
    but the game eases you in really nicely- my sister had no trouble picking up the controls and mechanics right away.

A++++++
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm shocked that there are so many bad reviews on this game. The single player is funny, and well made. I was skeptical about the multiplayer, but it works out really well. Yeah there is DLC, but it's not like they make you buy it; it's just an option for those wanting to blow there money away. As far as the length of the game, well it seems like you can beat everything in 4 hours these days. Just remember it's not about the time you put into it, it's about the quality and experience of the game. Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    I really don't like rating games 10, because no game is perfect. So think of my 10 as more of a 9.9 or a 9.8. This is without a doubt not only the best game I've played this year, but the best game I've played in a few years now.
    The game is NOT 4 hours long. Until I see a video of someone going through the game in 4 hours, I will never be able to conceive how they could possibly do that
    without cheating. The game is easily over 8 hours long and that's just the single player. Not to mention you are bound to spend time on your first or second play through looking for easter eggs, hearing all the audio and getting stuck on some of the harder puzzles.
    The Co-op is great, if anything it's almost as good as the single player, because it adds the extra challenge of the puzzles needing use of all the portals. It's packed full of content separate from the single player campaign and is just great.
    There is NO DLC! Some idiots seem to believe that there is day 1 DLC, I will confirm that there is not. People are possibly confused because in the co-op campaign, there is a store that allows you to customise your character. But they are all aesthetics, they bring nothing new to the game and they take nothing away, so there is no reason to buy them and therefore no reason to complain. It's not like they're forcing you to buy the co-op or something.

My GOTY 2011. It's early in the year but I don't see how any games being released this year are going to be better than this (except maybe LA Noire, but we'll see).

If you're going to get the game, get it on PC! The game is not a console port and is best played PC!
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal is a great game. Portal 2 adds additional length, difficulty, and humour, an excellent co-op gameplay mode, and vastly improved graphics. The end result is something truly fantastic - one of Valve's best offerings to date.

My only complaint is that the ending is a little cheesy. Hilarious, but cheesy.
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is engaging, smart, funny, well written, and looks absolutely fantastic. It also offers some of the best 2 player cooperative gameplay you will ever experience. I can't believe how many trolls have given this game a 0 because of the DLC and so called short lengh. First off nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC, it is literally cosmetic changes and has absolutely no impact on gameplay, don't want the DLC? then don't buy it, because it makes no difference. As far as the game lengh goes, with the single player and coop and incredible immersion on offer it is probably a lot longer than most games these days. Valve are truly the gamers developer and Portal 2 is one of their best games to date. Expand
  32. Apr 22, 2011
    OH NO DAY 1 DLC... oh wait, it's only cosmetics and I don't have to buy them to get the full gaming experience. That being said, Portal 2 is great. Not Portal 1 great, but still damn near perfect. My biggest issue is that Portal 1 worked so well because it was short. I was really scared Portal 2 would just simply be too long and lose its pacing. I'm glad it barely didn't. There's a lot of variation between levels and types of puzzles, and every chapter has its own little funny quirk. Recommended for people that aren't potato batteries. Expand
  33. Apr 24, 2011
    If this game was just an expansion of the first portal, then I would have been dissapointed. However, Portal 2 offers additions: reflection cubes, various coloured paint, wall/bridges & pull/push beams to keep the gameplay varied and ultimately this game has very impressive level design. I didn't find the game that amusing, but there are more lines from NPC's to make you smile. I think this game is far superior to the original and I highly recommend it. Expand
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    This game has far surpassed what I expected. They had a huge hurtle to jump over with creating a sequel to such a unique experience, but they did it. Bravo.
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    I'm very confused as to why everyone is complaining about the length of the game. I played for more than six hours last night and still didn't finish it. I took my time with some puzzles, but I don't think I'm slower than the average player. I have yet to play the co-op campaign, so I'm looking forward to at least another six hours of gameplay there. This game is definitely more than four hours long.

There seem to be a lot of complaints about the ARG and the potato collection game. This optional extra didn't force anyone to take part, and didn't push the release date back; it was a chance to have the game released early, but it didn't work out. I didn't bother to buy any of the Potato Sack Pack games, so I have no unwarranted complaints about the price of that.

The paid DLC isn't good if you don't like spending money, I'll agree, but once again that stuff is entirely optional, and it's also entirely cosmetic. Even if you don't touch the DLC (which is my plan), you aren't missing out on anything. Valve isn't selling new levels or important plot points, just skins and accessories for your character. They've obviously based this decision on the popularity of their Team Fortress 2 DLC.

Portal 2 is one of the most polished, funny, challenging, and all-round fun games that I've played. The dialogue is written and acted well; the score is atmospheric and emphatic; the visuals are gorgeous and the gameplay is challenging without being frustrating. It has more than its fair share of 'Wow!' moments, especially when you've been working out a puzzle for five or ten minutes and then you finally figure out how to do it.

Don't listen to the trolls; this game is great, and it is definitely worth buying for you and/or a friend.
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    Nothing short of amazing. I was hooked from start to finish with this game which brings a whole life to the original game. The game uses the source engine, although old still looks fantastic. I remember every step of the way being blown away with the landscape which it is clear valve has spent months perfecting. The game also brings a whole new range of gimmics which which creates numerous fresh challenges and ideas that are challenging but not frustrating and often make you feel like a genius for solving them in the creative ways that valve has layed out. The story is full of twists and turns that keeps you glued to your screen. At a very respectable length that leaves you fulfilled, engaged and simply wanting more. If you enjoyed portal 1 then this game is a must!! Collapse
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the bad reviewers, unless they are some sort of portal expert, finishing the game in 4 hours is impossible, and an online store hardly counts as DLC in the context they are putting it in. This game is a masterpiece with excellent, witty dialogue and puzzles that are easy enough to not get you frustrated, but still hard enough to catch you off guard if you are not prepared.
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    The lack of money required to post a score on metacritic causes great disappointment in reviews. Portal is a great game, cosmetic dlc microtransactions are the norm, deal with it.
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Wow.. I'm really dissapointed in the community. Portal 2 is an amazing, innovated and polished game that does not deserve the backlash it's been getting.
    #1. People that say the game takes 4 hours have clearly not finished it. I'm currently 4 hours into the campaign and 2 hours into the co-op play. #2. The gameplay is amazing. There's nothing wrong with it, and people game Portal 2
    so many 0s and 1s and didnt even take this into account.
    #3. Who the f**k cares about the DLC? It doesn't impact the gameplay at all. If you dont want it, dont buy it. I can understand why people would give Portal to a 7 or 8 because the DLC bothers them... but the game itself is WAY to good.

Again.. I'm really disappointed. I thought people were above rating a game that is beautiful, funny, innovated a 0 because they donâ
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    If Portal 2 doesn't make every single end-of-year Top 5/Top 10, we will have had the best year for games, ever. Or, to put it another way, I highly doubt there will be 5 games better than this all year long. I've been playing games for 25 years--this is one of the most complete, thoughtful, and humorous games ever released. People on here seem to be whining about the DLC--what in the world does that have to do with the game itself? You're really going to trash a game because you don't want to spend 2 dollars on an animation? Dude--don't buy the DLC, then. It's not hard. You're picking, literally, the smallest thing about the game and letting it cloud your judgment. If you like games, you will LOVE Portal 2. It's that simple. If you like sitting alone in a basement and nitpicking tiny things on the Internet to make yourself feel better, then you'll hate it. Expand
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    I played the original Portal about a year after it came out, after hearing some good reviews. It was, in my opinion, one of the best games I had ever played.

Fast forward 3 years. Portal 2 is announced, and I can't wait. The day draws closer, and I can't wait. I followed the ARG, and was refreshing the Glados@Home page constantly hoping for an early release. When it released, I played for
    about an hour or so before heading off to bed, as it released around midnight here. Played it throughout the day.

Going into playing it, I had extremely high expectations. My biggest worry was that Portal 2 would be unable to meet them. Far from it. Portal 2 has incredible attention to detail, different types of puzzle, and immense amount of story crammed into a 6-8 hour game. While it is short, it is 2-3 times longer than the original. There has been so many new quirks introduced that the game never got repetitive. There are a ton of puzzles in here that will keep you occupied for hours. Once you are finished with single player, there is a cooperative mode for you and a friend/random online person. This allows for much more detailed puzzles, as there are 4 portals to work with and an extra weight. It is a great addition to Portal, making it much more replayable. Put simply, if you like physics puzzles, get this game. If you liked Portal 1, get this game. If you want to say you've played one of the best games released, get this game.
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    I seriously doubt that any of the people panning the game even played it. This certainly tops Valve's first effort with Portal. The game is significantly longer, has much more of a storyline, and is quite a bit more complex than it's predecessor. One of the best games I've played in years. Would recommend.
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, you can see the quality in all the little details. I'm not buying any hats and i don't plan to but i'm also not butt-hurt because valve is selling them.
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    Best Valve game ever, if you like the original portal, this second part is your game. Good graphic , Good history and the perfect cooperative mode. Thank you Valve.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    Very enjoyable. The game looks extremely nice and runs smoothly. Extremely funny characters and brilliant voice acting. Love this game. The price is perfect. Co-op is extremely fun with friends or random people. I found many lovely random people that were nice and had good humor. The Campaign and Co-op are over 10 hours and with hopefully some mods a lot more time. The story line made me laugh and throughly enjoyed it. Expand
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    this is my first review on metacritic.
    since there is a lot of troll screwing with this user score im gonna post 10. but honestly this game is a solid 9.
    is one of the best game i have played this year. is a strong rival for goty. the source engine an engine from a game for 2004 is still one of the best looking engine. the game has so many great moments. the humor is so great. valve always
    succeed doing funny lines on their games. sorry the bad english. the game took me about 8 hour to finish and i did not get stuck at any puzzle more then 10 minutes.

the coop is fantastic. one of the best coop experience since i can remember. feels like real cooperation.

overall. great game. you can not miss.
    sorry my bad english. :^P
  47. Apr 20, 2011
    I give this game a 10/10 for two reasons:

a) To offset the idiots who are giving it a 0/10 because it has a bunch of completely optional DLC that isn't necessary at all and will not benefit your gaming experience unless you feel you need new skins and expressions. Also to offset the ones who have clearly not played the game. If you say it lasts 3 hours you're simply wrong, among my
    friends, many of whom are experienced gamers, not one has completed the campaign, nor has one logged less than 4 hours. Talking to other people who have played, I am 3.5 hours in and a bit over half way done. Maybe if you power through every puzzle and never stop to enjoy the game you could finish in 5-6 hours, but 3 is absurd. 9 seems to be the most reasonable estimate.

b) Because it's a fantastic game. The level design is simply put brilliant, and as with the original the writing is razor sharp. They took the already fantastic concepts seen in Portal and expanded them in every way possible. All the tiny tweaks they've made here and there serve to make one of the finest games we've seen in years. And something I didn't expect at all: a good backstory! As opposed to Portal, which posed a bunch of questions but gave literally no answers whatsoever, Portal 2 seeks to reveal the past of Aperture Science and go much deeper into the psyche of everyone involved. There are more characters, more ways to beat a level, more variety (particularly regarding environments)... I could keep going on and on, but simply put, this game is fantastic. A masterpiece side with the critics on this one, not the users, the majority of them have not even played it or have insignificant gripes with it.
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    Mindbending puzzles, brilliantly funny and sometimes bizarrely thought provoking script, incredible haunted post-pre-dystopian atmosphere (somehow!), amazing soundtrack, excellent visuals (that run on highest settings on my 3 year old machine).... what's missing? Too short maybe? Well, I haven't even started the co-op and I really can't wait to do that, so no. Thank you Valve.
  49. Apr 20, 2011
    The atmosphere of Portal 2 was dark and moody. The humor was spot on. Gameplay was challenging without being obnoxiously difficult. None of the puzzles felt contrived or particularly monotonous. The single player game length felt right (It took me roughly 10 hours to play through)

Just a couple of minor points felt a bit silly to me is the only reason I don't give the game a 10.
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game, great graphics. Well Worth it. Enjoyed it very much!~
    Don't get why people are **** about DLC. It's not necassary, and especially not necessary to base the game's review over such a retarded point.
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    I'd like to preface by saying, I have been reading reviews on here ever since steam started including a metacritic score, and lead me to this site. That being said, I have read plenty of reviews on this website prior to almost all my purchases (excluding some preorders that have recently been very hit and miss). The most miserable thing is to read all these reviews, and see about 90% of the posts come from accounts that were just created, and have only 1 review done, and it of course is Portal 2. There are plenty of these accounts made for spamming going around, but DA2 and Portal2 have definitely brought out the worst in blanketing reviews.

The one thing I would urgently stress for readers, is to realize there is an extreme amount of exaggeration for reviews here. With that "disclaimer" aside, I think this game has been great, and I have yet to explore multiplayer. I'm about 90% of the way through the game, and it plays out tremendously. Its single player campaign on average is shorter than most, but is much more engaged than any I have come across in quite some time. The dialogue, the voice acting, the environment, the humor, it all plays a huge roll by taking you into the world and making this game almost feel like an interactive movie. I understand many games try to do the same thing with cinematics and such, but you feel engrossed the entire time. The puzzles are definitely there, and in greater number which is always a plus.

Closing: So many critics here reference the first in the series. So, if you enjoyed Portal, and loved the world that it was, its a no brainer that you should pick this title up. If you have not played the first one, try it out and that will be a determining factor to whether or not you would be willing to spend 50$+ on similar, but very enhanced content.
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is a vast improvement on everything from Portal 1.

The dialog and story was incredible, the levels were incredible, and the new gels, bridges, lasers, and funnels added much more variety to the puzzles and gameplay itself. The length of 5-8 hours (depending how fast you are) is just perfect considering how far they can stretch the story before it becomes boring and repetetive.
    But it on Steam to save money and not consoles. This was made for PC.

The only thing that detracts from this wonderful game is the loading screens, hence why I can't give it a 10. I would bash the DLC, but seeing as how you can get everything by achievements and DLC isn't game changing at the moment, then there is absolutely no problem with it.
  53. Apr 22, 2011
    Registered here to counter the whining kids who didn't get to open their presents early for the, fair enough, rather crass, but 'optional' marketing promotion that gave some Indies boost (a good thing for them).

Anyway fantastic game, great humour, levels and happy with the length of the game, on that note if you decide to finish in one sitting you probably won't fully appreciate it (too
    much of a good thing isn't and all). Its a different beast to Portal v1, with more focus on story and characterisation, but the new environmental toys are cool and the overall feel and ending are superb.

Given Valves background in supporting games for years (e.g. TF2) no doubt there will be more to come, and I'm sure its a game that will keep on giving and don't be surprised to see more stuff in future.

Finally the DLC... its optional, as in TF2, if you don't like it, don't buy it, I'm pretty sure I won't unless its for some worthy cause.
  54. Apr 25, 2011
    Easily one of Valve's best games. The story was incredibly paced, the plot had superb depth, the characters were humorous and believable, the atmosphere is phenomenal and the ambient soundtrack (with smooth jazz!) fitted perfectly with the game. The Source engine remains the pinnacle of modular AIO game engines and the entire game ran beautifully on a 6-year old desktop PC.

As for the
    gameplay, it was highly innovate and much more challenging than its predecessor. The learning curve at the beginning was flawless, it taught the controls and mechanics without being patronising. This followed throughout the game when new mechanics were introduced.

Best game I have played all year by a long way.
  55. Aug 30, 2011
    It is a brilliant game with lots of puzzles and fun throughout! It also has a fantastic story line you unravel and begin to piece together. Its a fantastic game, and what a sequel should be. It is one of valves greatest games.
  56. Apr 22, 2011
    Valve releases another winner with Portal 2. Every puzzle is challenging without being frustrating; every joke and voice-over is laugh-out-loud funny. The backstory of Aperture Science is also approached in an interesting way. Those who are complaining that they beat the game in a half-hour, rating it a 2 and asking for their money back need to stop it...no one's impressed. Because in the end, those people aren't playing games for the right reason anyway. Just go out and buy Portal 2 now...well worth it. Expand
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily the best game I've played so far this year. This game exceeded my expectations in almost every way (which is saying a lot, my expectations were quite high). The characters are amazing, the story equally so, and all the dark humor that made the first one so enjoyable has been absolutely perfected in the sequel. Yes, the single-player story might be a tad on the short side (I believe I finished up in 6-7 hours without rushing), but I'm a firm believer in quality of quantity. To give some comparison, I clocked in 30 hours in Dragon Age 2, and even considering that I feel as though I completely wasted my money on that game. With Portal 2, I finished feeling as though I got my money's worth and so much more. Now on to the co-op story! Expand
  58. Apr 21, 2011
    I loved every second of it, its amazing. For all the people rating it low because it should had been added as DLC? Seriously? It may have been fairly short but it was worth it. You wouldnt had have the same expierence on the old source engine. The new one pushes everything to the max. The ending is amazing too.
  59. Apr 20, 2011
    A brilliant, mind-bending puzzler that improves upon the original in every way. Full of brilliant puzzles, lots of personality & hilarious writing. The co-op is also one of the best out there, and tests your ability to co-operate. Overall, the game is another Valve masterpiece.
  60. Apr 21, 2011
    Okay... I've already given Portal 1 10, so I will just say my score out. Portal was worth about 96% to me, and Portal 2 was just 10 times better. If you thought Portal was awesome or even only good, then this will blow your mind! This game hits every beat correctly, the gameplay is so addictive that you'll want to play the whole singleplayer again, just for the dialouge. The wit and humor of all robots has shown us what Valve are capable of. For the amount of hype is delivers and it delivers very well. Totally worth the $50.00 price tag on Steam (That's nearly half as much as a typical AAA game such as Homefront or Call of Duty: Black Ops, and it's double as good.). So to me my final verdict is 98% (not as good as HL2 but very high up.). Great game Valve! Expand
  61. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is amazing, a masterpiece if I ever played one. The music is superb, great story, and fun characters and classic lines. It's been a long time since I played a game as engaging as this. If i had a gripe, I can't say it lasted more then 20 hours so far doing multiplayer and singleplayer missions, I know the SDK is coming down the line soon, so we'll be seeing an influx of user generated maps soon. I still feel like I got my monies worth, Portal 2 was designed so well, I felt it was still a very satisfying experience. Expand
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    Somehow Portal 2 has surpassed Portal 1 and in doing so has earned its place as one of the best games of all time. The puzzles are all great and the co-op mode is a fantastic addition to the game which brings the puzzles to an all new level. Of course it's the writing that stands out the most, almost every line spoken is hilarious and the voice-acting is incredible. If you don't like this game you're probably a bad person or just stupid. Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    Brilliant characters that shine till the very end, a story that makes you change your perspective multiple times, and fun gameplay make Portal 2 a must buy for everyone. One of the few games that feel like a work of art and love.
  64. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 has the absolute BEST single player storyline of 2011, or anything since 2008. Maybe a few frustrating things like me not catching a few places to jump or place my portal on, the game was fun, it was funny, it was challenging, and it makes dry dead humor a pleasure to hear. The awesome thing about the game is that it makes impatient and non-observant people like me suffer, but even with those traits of missing an important white space to place your portal in, the gamer no matter what personality will continue to strive, and it's not to finish the game... Or get the cake... No, but to have all ears on the next joke, no matter how dry or funny, and then laugh, or have their feelings injured, which is good. One thing I love about this game is the stupidity one of the characters display; it's funny because his funniness distracts the player from the major flaw that the user can use to escape his/her dilemma. Great game. Expand
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is frankly amazing. I suspect there won't be a better game this year. It is in every way grander, and is very pretty despite being DX9 still. If you liked Portal, you really shouldn't be disappointed.

Never have I see so much furore about some totally crap DLC. People buy this stuff? People buy the TF2 stuff? Valve haven't realised that micro transactions are supposed to be small
    apparently, they'd sell a lot more pointless DLC if the pack didn't cost as much as Portal 2 does. Expand
  66. Sep 17, 2011
    Valve crafted Portal 2 well enough. Single play has a chaotic funny accidental story line. Although the puzzle twists are less challenging than Portal 1, the play is well balanced. But I am afraid that the multi play is unbalanced if a teammate doesn
  67. Apr 20, 2011
    The game is great and fun. And unlike other games where solo and co-op are the same. They are completely different. the 1 reviews really failed this time around on meta critic, and I'm pretty disappointed in them. You can tell the game was made for the PC. It still uses the source engine. It has dlc that doesn't matter, character skins. People care about that enough to down vote it? Nobody complained with Resistance 2, or Kill zone. Downvoting the game because when it came out? Since when do we do that? So does that mean Duke Nukem Forver is going to be an automatic 0? Sure the potato sack thing was neat the problem is a most of those games people already bought and were great games themselves. But that shouldn't be a part of the review of yours or mine. I have spent so far 6 hours playing it. I'm almost done with co-op. It was and is pretty fun. Solo isn't too bad. Some of the puzzles I don't always get right away, which gives me a sense of accomplishment when I do figure it out. Same thing happens in co-op, generally one of us can solve it right away, but there were a couple where we were stumped for a good 10-15 minutes. The communication controls are pretty good if you don't want to use voice. A ping communicates a lot of information that voice doesn't always do justice. Expand
  68. Nov 28, 2011
    most the people who are voting this game down are saying the following in fancier terms "ITS A PUZZLE GAME, YOU DONT SHOOT ANYTHING, ITS STUPID, HURR DURR" Guess what folks, they have COD AIDS! IF YOU DONT LIKE A PUZZLE GAME, DONT, BUY, A, PUZZLE GAME, but guess what, this game is more of an adventure game than it is a puzzle game, the expierience that you will have when you play through this will be one that you will never forget because its that awesome. I had a friend say "Portal is stupid because it makes you feel smart" well guess what, all games are supposed to make you feel somthing, so that argument is irrelevent. Expand
  69. Apr 21, 2011
    If I could describe Portal 2 with one word it would be: Masterpiece. This game is simply brilliant, and entertaining. How anyone could be disappointed in this sequel is beyond me. If you liked the original portal, you are out of your mind if you end up not liking this game-- in fact, you should immediately shut off your computer and go check yourself into the nearest mental institute. I do wonder if some people think they completed the game when they did not. 5 hours is quite fast for this game. I'm pretty sure I played single player for more than 5 hours and I'm pretty darn good at solving the puzzles, only getting hung up 2 or 3 times for a while trying to figure something out. I can see some people maybe getting frustrated, but if you put the game down and come back later, you'll eventually figure it out. As far as graphics go there is nothing here that is video card punishing, but the game looks beautiful, full of wide open areas of the complex and bottomless chasms to fall into. There are more technologies to play with in this game than the original, so there is plenty of variety. Some puzzles I can tell could be solved a couple different ways, but most are solved only the one way. What really sets this game apart from the others is the storyline and the characters. The humor can be laugh-out-loud funny at times, and should make anyone with a sense of humor laugh. I won't say how the game ends, but you may or may not be disappointed. I wasn't, and I laughed at the ending cut scene as it was a great joke. The game is certainly worth the money, and the addition of the MP mode where you can solve a different set of puzzles with a friend is a great addition to the game. Me and friend of mine solved nearly all of them in one night, but couldn't finish because it got too late. I look forward to seeing what DLC will become available for this game. Expand
  70. Apr 21, 2011
    On so many occasions a a sequel to a hugely popular game disappoints. Portal 2 does not disappoint. Throughout the game I was surprised by many new directions and story developments. Having read numerous negative reviews damning the 'same old levels' as the original game it becomes obvious that the reviewers have not played too far into the game before casting judgement. It should be made clear that the first few levels of Portal 2 ARE intended to be very similar to the first. Bear in mind there will be a raft of new gamers, especially on console, who have never used the portal gun before and so need to become accustomed to it. The levels did start to become very slightly 'samey' but it was precisely when I started feeling that the story lurched into another direction.

Regarding the co-op mode, this is best played after single player It's not critical, but it doesn't give an extra dimension to the mode which works well.

Design - The level design in this game is astonishing. I'm not going to provide any information on why but there is HUGE variation, and detail in all areas of the game and some are absolutely breathtaking

Sound - there are thousands of lines of dialog within the game, meshed with environment effects which range from fantastic mechanical clanks and clunks to downright creepy ambiance. Graphics - It's the Source Engine. If you've played any recent Source games you'll know what it's capable of , it looks stunning and handles all the environments thrown at it with ease.

Gameplay - Do not listen to people who say this game takes 3-4 hours to complete. If you let yourself enjoy the dialog and play the game as an average gamer it'll last a good 6-7 at least., and that's without attempting to find the numerous secrets areas. For replay value there's always the challenge of achievements and even with the original Portal's short length I found myself replaying it again just because it's FUN! All in all, I was absolutely impressed with Portal 2. While playing online co-op last night until the early hours my playing partner indicated that they had not played a game where they had the 'just one more level' for a long time. That in itself is a worthy testimonial!
  71. Apr 21, 2011
    Bloody fantastic game so far. PLayed about 4 hours and it's just getting better and better. The story telling is great, the atmosphere totally weird and bizarre, the sound interesting and engaging, the level design is outstanding. A great balance of puzzling and being sucked into a great and very different story. I mean, it's about sarcastic robots for christ sake! :) Love it so far.
  72. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is somewhat of a perfect game, with it's enticing sound and great characters, it also includes on of the most innovative puzzles of all time. This isn't your average mind-bending puzzle, Portal 2 is reasonable, it's easy once you know whats going on, but it stills proves a challenge. Portal 2 is an amazing game, with CO-OP which will always go on, this deserves to be game of the year. Perfect, no, but it is the best game we have seen so far in 2011. Portal 2 features chell and glados, the dynamic duo. with excellent voice work, and a great story, its length and that it is awesome, it might not be perfect but it deserves my ten Expand
  73. Apr 20, 2011
    Loved it! The dialogue is the most humourous I've heard in a long time. I laughed my head of at Stephen Merchant's character. I wasn't as big of a fan of Portal 1 but now I finally understand the hype behind it, Portal 2 is fantastic :)
  74. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is an example of game done right. It's great, fun, funny in a dark kind of way, it excels in writing, characters and above all awesome game and level design. A must have for everyone who likes fun. I just wish it was longer, because I can't get enough of it.
  75. Apr 20, 2011
    Good game, but expected not to have the awesomeness that the first has, since its hard for sequels to do so. Really love it.

Also to those who think its bad because of day 1 dlc, they are retarded.
  76. Apr 24, 2011
    One game you should not miss. Genuinely funny and intelligent Portal 2 is the kind of game that makes me remember why i started gaming in the first place. Unlike its predecessor the game shines through story and character design. Not to say that Portal was bad in those categories. It's just that Portal 2 has so many "WOW" moments, so many vistas that show the immensity of Aperture Science, it just makes you feel small and insignificant. Like a rat rat in maze. I have never felt this way by playing a game before. Buy it. It is the a game for the ages. Expand
  77. Apr 20, 2011
    To all you hater Nerds, its a great game, go troll **** This game never pretended to be anything other than a 'short niche puzzle game' thats what Portal is! As for console port? go **** about that if the gameplay is impeded not because theres some left over strings.
  78. Apr 23, 2011
    Fantastic. what a great game and excellent addition to the first Portal game. Would liked to have seen some more content, a bit longer solo play, and maybe co-op with an AI bot as a partner.
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    to find faults with this game would be absolutely pointless. It is the best example of clever level design and creative ideas coming together in a videogame you can find. The physics based puzzles all have logical and satisfying solutions, and require a degree of good reflexes and precision. But the real star of this game is the incredible writing and voice acting, which will consistently make you laugh and at times make you think. Yes, the game is hysterical, but if you examine the mythos of aperture science and the way it is run enough, you can pull some very deep morals out of it. Themes of artificial intelligence, sanity, and forgiveness are all present in the cleverly twisted story. This is not a game, it is a full on sensual experience that you can only enjoy by totally immersing yourself into the world Valve has created and be willing to think in ways you are not used to in a videogame. Whether you are playing the single player or co-operative online campaigns, the experience of Portal 2 is nothing short of masterful. There are games that come out every few years that defy normal genre conventions, impact the gamer like no game before it, and create lasting memories and experiences that are not normally found in a video game. Games among the ranks of Bioshock, , Half Life, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. These are not merely games that are incredible for their polish and perfection of conventional game design, but their originality and the way they create experiences that can only be felt in a video game. Portal 2 is one of those games. It is a gorgeously crafted, brilliantly designed and incredibly written. Whatever faults the game may have, you will be too caught up in its mysterious world and intricate puzzles to notice. You may not spend hundreds of hours into the game like a popular shooter, but the memories you'll get from the game will last for years. Expand
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    My 5 year old has been begging me for this game since Valve released all of the trailers. I honestly wasn't interested with this game and I haven't even played Portal 1. After purchasing the game and watching my son, I was instantly hooked with the graphics, humor, and easy controls. Suffice it to say, Portal 2 is mine--not my son's;)
  81. Apr 20, 2011
    Look at all the 0/1 scores. They all seem to say the exact same thing. The reason? These people have not played the game. If they did then they wouldn't be complaining. For my money, Portal 2 is the best game I've played in a long time. Not only is it fun to play and a challenge to complete, it actually makes you LAUGH. It will ENTERTAIN you. Plus, having to use your brain makes a great change to all this 'shoot anything that moves' games of recent times. Please do not pay attention to the copy+paste negative reviews, this game is incredible and worth every penny. Expand
  82. Apr 19, 2011
    I just had to make an account here when I saw the kotaku link posting about how player reviews were panning portal2 on metacritic. All I can assume is that people giving bad (red) reviews were not really portal1 fans at all. Some of the comments are just lies. 4 hour game? In what universe? As a veteran portal1 player (who has mastered 100% of challenges in p1), I completed the game on first run through in about 6.5 hours and thought it was amazing. Don't forget the COOP is a totally new game with new levels and also lasts at least 5 hours depending on the skill level of your partner.

Really the only reason I've given it 9/10 instead of 10/10 is that I would have liked to see a 'Challenges' option for the hardcore among us to sink our teeth into after mastering the single and coop games. But getting a few of the harder achievements will suffice for now, hopefully a DLC will contain 'challenge' maps later on.

It was worth the wait, worth the money and definitely worth the hype.
  83. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is not Portal 1, as it shouldn't be. It takes the Portal concept to a whole new level, showing the history, and the future of the concept. I enjoyed every minute I played of this game, beat the entire thing, and the co-op as well. I haven't had so much fun with co-op ever. I laughed and laughed at the trouble we got ourselves into. It's innovative, creative, and the most important thing, down right fun, both single player and co-op. I see people complaining about the DLC. This is the way DLC should be. Players should not be forced to pay extra money for story content that should be in the game already. DLC is supposed to be specifically bonus, unnecessary content. If it was necessary it should be in the game. As for the Alternate Reality Potato Sack content, it was new, and enjoyable. This "treasure hunt" was a great way to get players really involved in their games. It was very very immersive, and I have never felt so well connected with other players as I did with this. It caused us to work as a team. All in all, it was the most creative and intuitive gaming experience I have ever had. 10 out of 10 for down right fun. Expand
  84. Apr 19, 2011
    I want you to understand something. My 10/10 isn't a fanboy score.

For a game as hyped as this, my expectations were met and / or exceeded. No, really. I was alternating between puzzled frown and grinning from ear to f*cking ear. And the ending was fabulous. As for the conclusion? No spoilers - well, I don't think anyone expected the ending to match the sheer glee of first hearing "Still
    alive" - we're all seeing it coming now and Valve have wisely decided not to try and out-do it. If you attempt to out-do something perfect, you become straight-up cheesy or completely failing.
    I was still cackling and giggling all through the conclusion, including a few genuine "No way!?" moments.

The story is brilliant, fills out the narrative well, the acting is superb, the writing is pure quality, the pacing is absolutely perfect. And the rules of the universe are bent around and tied up in a neat little bow towards the end. Part way through you may feel betrayed by the game but it's all a ploy :) My only real gripe ( And I didn't reduce my score for it because it was still fun) is that I didn't feel the same sense of dread of the unknown during the final sequence that I did at when I faced GlaDOS for the first time in Portal 1. Such is the folly of the sequel, although I felt like my hand was held slightly too much. Or maybe I'm just clever :)

Most of the complaints I see are the DLC and the length. I think this is just smart people who are more interested in the puzzles than the narrative and atmosphere. These people complaining about the length are the same sorts of people who go on to post speed runs to prove how clever they are. I'll bet they missed half the interesting stuff - these people should have played the ARG if they want seriously tricky stuff. Not because it was tricky, but because then they'd have played some of the games in the potato sack, and they have some fiendish logic in them. But they're also not mainstream games - Valve have done an amazing job of making the game accessible to all while still making players feel clever for solving some of the puzzles. It's tricky to get this balance right. Anyone who finished it in 4 hours, I'm guaranteeing you, did not see all the campaign had to offer. Or sit there listening to some of the fabulous dialogue. I could have done it in 4 hours if I didn't give a sh*t about the surroundings. And there is some wonderful hidden dialogue too if you're enjoying yourself enough to go looking for it.

The DLC is optional. Yeah, Valve are missing the point of why cosmetic enhancements are good in the first place i.e. adding interest to something that's been out for a while, but most of the "clever people" who are **** about Valve making a grab for cash - it's cosmetic, doesn't change the game in any way. And you can earn some of them for achievements. These people are saying "We're too clever to buy optional DLC for that much", but I feel what they're really saying is "I wish I was able to make that much money out of the people stupid enough to pay for it". You feel insulted that these gamers are spending money doing something that you see as stupid. That's fine. You're clever, go make a game even a quarter as good as this and I'll start listening to you.

Port clues? Maybe. But does it control badly with kb and mouse? Hell no, the response is tight and enjoyable. They took the time to polish the controls and interface on the PC, and the graphics at high-res are fabulous. Advanced graphics options are there too - Console Ports don't have to be bad if they get the attention they deserve. Anyway. 10/10. Seriously. I'll be playing it again and again like I did with the first. And you know what? If they bring out some story DLC, I'll pay for it.
  85. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the equal of Portal 1, and a fantastic followup that adds much to the already established perfection. Not only is the humor easily as good as last time, the puzzle solving goes from okay, to Portal 1's equal, to amazing and beyond anything Portal ever did over the course of the 7 to 10 hour campaign. Addressing some concerns that other reviews have said (don't listen to them, they are mad about an ARG and DLC that have nothing to do with the actual game), no, the game is not 3 hours long. No, there is no game-enhancing DLC to get upset about, the DLC, which is PC only in the first place, is purely aesthetic and no one who isn't interested has any reason to buy it. Finally, the ARG that took place before this game was release not only resulted in a midnight release on Steam (as opposed to the planned 7am release), it also got everyone who got all of the "potatoes" in the ARG Valve's *entire library of games for free*. There is no reason to dislike this game, and many of the reviews are simply venting frustrations not at all related to the game's quality. It's better in every way than one than the original Portal, save one, originality. And let's face it, that magic has passed, we can't get that moment in time back, so we should enjoy an amazing game for what it is, the best possible sequel to Portal, and the best game of the year so far. Expand
  86. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 completely lives up to what we have come to expect from a Valve game; great story, immersive gameplay and extremely creative mechanics. Rather than being dumped in at the deep end, players are slowly immersed and taught the gameplay mechanics as they go along.

There were a couple of places in the game where I was stuck with no idea what to do for a few minutes. The game starts
    out in a fairly linear fashion with well designed test chambers, but as the game progresses and the player starts to explore the deep underground sections things become a lot more open ended and less obvious.

The story is brilliant and introduces several new characters into the canon. As the game progresses, the player learns about the history of Aperature Science through a variety of ingame objects and dialogue. Visiting areas which were created during different periods of Aperature Science's development, the player is introduced to various gadgets.
  87. Apr 19, 2011
    I made an account on Metacritic just so I could give this game a 10. A more than worthy successor to one of the most phenomenal games ever made. I can't recommend it enough to anyone on the fence about it, and that's just off my experience of the single player. By all accounts the Co-op is even more amazing, so I've still got a lot to look forward to.
  88. Apr 19, 2011
    The game took me about 8 hours to beat, (I'd heard it would take 8-10) and I have to say I cant imagine it being any longer. It would have become too repetitive. I like my puzzle games to be medium to short in time so this was great, as well as the short Portal. I thing this game deserves a 9.5 but since that isn't an option I'm going with 10. I haven't even played the co-op yet but I'm really looking forward to it once some of my other friends finish the game. I even spotted on of the co-op players dancing around on a far away ledge at one point in the game. Anyway, the game was great and the graphics were good. The soundtrack fit perfectly and it was great how it would change whenever you started doing something like using the propulsion gel or pointing a laser into its hole. People that let advertisers get their hopes up are fools. Just enjoy the game for what it is, a good sequel to a good puzzle game. Expand
  89. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the best games I have played in a very long time, despite the many negative reviews that this game doesn't deserve.

Although the negative reviews say otherwise, this game is certainly over 4 hours long. Portal 2 has provided me with about 10 hours (give or take, it really depends on your ability to solve puzzles) of spectacular gameplay, and I plan to replay the game for the
    developer commentary which was included in the game. Portal 2 also comes with developer tools, meaning that new puzzles will be created by users for all to enjoy, providing more replay value. The game has excellent graphics, which are complimented by the interactive environment provided by the Aperture Science Laboratories. The plot was deep and captivating, expanding on the mysteries left by the first game, and contains plot developments that will keep the player hooked until the very end. The game is quite humorous, and has had me laughing at several points in the game. Aside from the excellent mind-boggling puzzles that any puzzle game should provide, Portal 2 also presents dramatic and fast-paced action sequences and plot developments, which keep players on their toes while still refraining from overwhelming the player. Expand
  90. Apr 19, 2011
    game is brilliant no matter what the trolls say. People complaining its short seem to forget they stated months ago that it would be around 7 hours. This game has met all of my expectations and more.
  91. Apr 19, 2011
    Well, since I wasn't one of the people that bought the potato sack (which has some very decent indie games in it, also you supported the indie community, thanks for that!) I'm not automatically going to give this a 0. The game isn't short compared to today's standards, I've played a good 10 hours so far, which is the same as any other big release game on the market now, so stop whining. I'd rather pay $40 for a well polished, fun Valve game that I know is going to be great instead of wasting $80 on a disappointing game that I thought would have been good.

The only downside of the game I can see so far is that Co Op won't be as repayable as I'd like it. Also, who cares about DLC, don't buy it but don't come onto metacritic and whine about it.

It's a Valve game, you can expect only quality, buy the game and make your own mind up! Don't come to sites like these that have Youtube style voting systems where anyone can give anything an unjustified 0 or 10 to make up your mind.

Pros

- An awesome addition to the Portal franchise, an outstanding game for what it is... A PUZZLE GAME.
    - A FULL game, 8 - 12 hours.
    - Co-op is fun and ORIGINAL.
    - Hilarious dialogue. A good story.
    - Great music, it suits the scene of the game.
    - The graphics are amazing, especially with the crumbling environments.
    - It links in with Half-Life.
    - It's a quality, polished Valve game.
    -Worth more playthroughs; achievements, secrets or just for fun.

Cons
    - Co-op Reply Value is fairly low. - ...um hmm.. There's nothing else I can think of that's wrong with the game at the moment.
  92. Apr 19, 2011
    Great development of story, amazing finale. Awesome soundtrack! Some of the best voice acting I've ever heard in a game. Ridiculously good animations, it's a huge success!
  93. Apr 19, 2011
    Very, VERY good game. I played Portal 1 twice this past weekend in anticipation of Portal 2 and I feel that it absolutely delivered. Takes a bit of time at the beginning to train new players and refresh those who played Portal 1, the game then introduces new mechanics and consistently delivers them in interesting ways throughout the game.

Single-player took me a total of six and a half
    hours to complete, and I have not finished co-op yet. The controversial "launch DLC" is nothing more than skins and such for the robots you play in co-op - purchase if you desire, but if you do not purchase you are missing out on nothing.

Great game, would give it a 10/10 but I feel single-player is a bit on the short side. If Valve releases additional single-player content for free (ie. advanced test chambers like Portal 1), this game will then be a 10/10 to me.
  94. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore the haters. They will always look at the glass is 1/10 empty. This game is solid and more than a cosmetic face lift take it from a game developer. The amount of work put into this is phenomenal, pure polish, had me laughing all the way, could not believe the attention to detail, there are some minor issues, but nothing to get in a spin about. I wish I had their resources, but in Australia thatâ Expand
  95. Apr 19, 2011
    This game doesn't get a 10 for its gameplay. The new tricks alone merit about an 8. The game earns a 10 for me because its writing is just as good as the original's, perhaps better. The story's fun, the characters are hilarious, and Portal 2 is the best time I've had gaming in years.
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    It's pretty awesome. My only complaint is that the price is high for how short it is, but.. it surpassed Portal 1 and became my new favorite game. I would have paid more.
  97. Apr 19, 2011
    The greatest game I have ever played. It is worth my money, it is not 4 hours long (unless you are ultra smart)
    this is my all around favorite game. I am just reviewing singleplayer but, playing singleplayer was the most satisfying gaming experience I have ever played.
  98. Apr 20, 2011
    I gave Portal 2 for the PC a perfect score because I really cannot find anything wrong with it, and I sincerely feel that it is just THAT good. Portal 2 maintains the elements of game-play that made the original Portal such a great game; but at the same time it adds a new "feel" to the game that definitely out does its predecessor. The addition of other elements being incorporated into the puzzles (ex. the different goos) definitely gives the game a new flair that expands the style its puzzles. The single player campaign took me about 6-7 hours to complete, and the entire time I never wanted to stop. The game really expands though when you get into the co-op modes. I believe that there are about 86? puzzles that you can do with a partner, and I would highly suggest playing with a friend, or someone you know. Expand
  99. Apr 20, 2011
    This game far surpasses the first portal and is the most fun I have had from a video game in a long time. While everyone else is churning out repetitive realistic war shooters Valve is innovating and bringing genuine fun back to PC gaming. The DLC complaints are unwarranted. The DLC is in no way a necessary part of the game(just cosmetic addons and gestures for multiplayer) and so far is 100% unlockable. Expand
  100. Apr 20, 2011
    I was actually shocked when I read some of the bad reviews on here. It would appear that they are the kind of people who think Call of Duty is the example of a good game. Fantastic story, singleplayer campaign, the updated source engine looks brilliant, like a good book, I simply could not put this game down. I managed to complete it by literally not stepping out of my office until I had completed it. I managed to complete SP + Co-op with a friend in about 12 hours. 10am - 10pm. My only "complaint" is that the ending didn't really provide the satisfaction I was looking for. Yet the experience throughout was fantastic.

If you're not into first person action puzzle games, don't buy this. Unless you're in it just for the fantastic story and characters.
  101. Apr 19, 2011