8.7

1. Apr 23, 2011
    The level design of Portal 2 is what should be Portal 1.
    Source iv very well exploited and the story just is epic, we take pleasure to solve the tests and we're very happy to end one when we were ten minutes on.
    Portal is today a great name of the world of videogame.
  2. Apr 23, 2011
    Entirely worth the wait. People don't seem to realise that Valve hasn't just given us a new game for $30, they've given us an entirely new platform with which to create original, innovative and enjoyable new content. Once they release the SDK we'll see hundreds of community made maps/props/skins/everything in general. The game took me ~10 hours to complete, and that's without beating the co-op. The story was well worth it, far more in depth and entertaining than most half-hearted crap released onto the market which we're forced to pay extortionate prices for (ala the Call of Duty series). This game is easily a top candidate for game of the year. I still maintain that Valve has never released a bad game (let's just ignore Ricochet on this one). Want my advice? Stop nitpicking parts of the game which don't even affect gameplay - by that I mean entirely optional cosmetic addons - and start focusing on the bigger picture. Valve has done us well. Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    This is an absolutely amazing and funny game. Singelplayer for my 7 hour game, with another 5 hour co-op campaign. I have no all achviements then play i again.
  4. Apr 23, 2011
    Le genre de jeu qu'on a du mal a quitter une fois terminé..
    Quelle ambiance envoutante,seul jusqu'à présent les Bioshock m'avaient laissé cette impression.
    Une vraie réussite,et tout ça sans un alien,zombie,ou autres ennemies a tuer.Bravo
  5. Apr 23, 2011
    This is the best game I have ever played since a long time. The story is just astronomical well written. The humor is excellent and the coop is a great challenge with a friend. The end of portal 2 is really epic. There are also some bad things, like that the is kinda short, single player + coop. And the source engine is beginning to show it age. But there are way more pros then cons. If you didn't play this game, you really missed a game that will be a classic one. A well earned ~9.6, if I could give that :) Expand
  6. Apr 23, 2011
    This game is pretty fun. It doesn't play like a port. If it is indeed a console port, Valve has done a good job porting it. But I dont think it is. Have not tried coop yet but singleplayer alone seems worth it
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    Best game I have ever played! Simply amazing! Fantastic game play and great story! The writing is hilarious and it really pulls you in! With the custom maps I have gotten hours of fun!
  8. Apr 23, 2011
    I can't believe some people are giving this awesome game a bad review simply because it wasn't released early and there is day one dlc. The only negative thing I have to say is that the graphics do look a bit dated but because everything else is so well done I don't really care. I wish more developers put this much effort into writing, I can't think of any other game (besides the first portal) that I will replay levels just to listen to the dialog. I hope that people don't take this nonsensical garbage seriously and give portal 2 a chance, if you do you won't be disappointed. Expand
  9. Apr 23, 2011
    Good sequel to Portal. Yes is shorter than some games but its longer than Portal 1 and has co-op for more time to play it.
    Padding this for minimum characters.
  10. Apr 23, 2011
    Well, I partly created Metacritic account just to make sure this game's score is bumped up because people who have scored this game anything but lower than 7 are idiots! They have no legit reason. In reality I'd say this game is somewhere between 8.5-9.5. I wouldn't say 10 though.

First and foremost, the game took 10 hours for me to complete. I am not a puzzle genius and I kind of
    looked for secrets etc. So lets say my ponderings and my secret hunting took another 2-3 hours, you should at least get 7 hours of gameplay easy on the single player. I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet! That is like 3 times the time I got out of Portal 1!!! And anything longer would truly drag this game out. That is the thing. Portal titles, by nature, cannot be very long. Unless the formula has been changed.

Secoondly, I loved the humour, I loved the graphics style, I love the characters and animations, I loved the writing, I loved the ending...I also loved the atmosphere...
    However, in the back of my mind I kept comparing to the first game and at some point the pacing slows down. The new mechanics aren't necessarily given enough gameplay time which makes you a bit craving for more...that and the loading screens (though lasted very short) were a bit of immersion breaker. Valve never used to take people out of the game before, I was surprised to see them.

I don't have a latest system and I played the game at the highest settings of it all with no hitches. Though Source engine doesn't compare to some big names like Crytek, it still looks goddamn good! I'd say performance over potential looks!

Overall, it is a worthy purchase unless you are a person who really can't stand puzzle games and need something to shoot/kill because you will be required to use your brain and won't have any face to face opponents to kill.
  11. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorite games of all time, even better than the first. The story, the puzzles, and the characters are all more complex this time around, in a good way. The ending itself is amazing, the moon sequence, followed by the adorable turret opera, topped off with the unexpected return of the (original?) companion cube! Well done Valve! Expand
  12. Apr 23, 2011
    Reading the negative reviews on here, people complain about stupid things, because they are snobs? who knows where their ego is...As being a fan of the first game, I held high expectations for this one, and I must say they were blown away...I was sucked in and couldn't stop till I finished, I completed the Single Player Campaign in less than a day of the game being released. Although the concept is nothing new, instead of being a straight up puzzle, it makes it more of an adventure game as you move through the massive aperture science facility. Visually, the game itself looked beautiful, the construction, the layout, the entire insane level designs were impressive for a dated engine, this game looks better rendered than some other top competing games out there, I hope Valve is working on a newer improved engine, I can't even imagine how much better looking this game would have been if there was a new Source engine. As for gameplay? It is a very linear path, of course, you solve puzzles, move on to next area so on an so forth.The game is linear as it gets, but the solving the spatial puzzles to move on is what is incredibly genuine, even more so than the first game, the puzzles seem to make you think a little more creatively than the first, with the "gels", the hardlight bridges, and the gravity beams... it gets real interesting in what you can do as far as solving each room to get by. Solid visuals and gameplay throughout, while doing so, pay attention to EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING, from the scenery to the humorous signs throughout the game and dialogue is killer! right from the start you can't help but laugh at the quips that happen between GLADos and Wheatley, It was very enjoyable and entertaining, as you progress through the game you pass old old old test chambers in which "Cave Johnson" (voiced by JK Simmons) speaks to you about becoming a volunteer for "tests" and through each of those levels it becomes more entertaining listening to Cave talk about the facility. All the way to the end of the game, was just non-stop awe for me, Although I was able to complete the game in about 7-8 hours, It was well worth the purchase just for that, I enjoyed every moment of the single player campaign from start to finish, and to me, has extremely high replay value, especially trying to complete some of the "puzzles" as quickly as possible, To me, none of the puzzles were extremely difficult, but they definitely make you think! As far as a satisfying ending, the climax scene was just WOW! you will know what I'm talking about when you see it. Co-Op mode is definitely worth it too, you'll probably spend more time with this one than the single player campaign, teamwork is utterly essential...in co-op the puzzles are actually more challenging and you have to work as a team and have precise timing in a good portion of the puzzles, I hope they have DLC to expand co-op or allow Developer Package to create and design your own portal puzzles...As far as the DLC content and purchasing them? who the hell cares? if you don't like it, then don't buy the S$%!, it is no different than how TF2 works, obviously people have fun in customizing their characters....AND GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT, PORTAL 2 WAS PORTED TO CONSOLE, BLACK OPS WAS A CONSOLE PORT ABORTION. Expand
  13. Apr 23, 2011
    GOTY for me. This game is one of the most immersive I've ever played. If you enjoyed portal or any of the half life games you owe it to yourself to play Portal 2.
  14. Apr 23, 2011
    Valve is by far my favourite game company. Portal 2 is AMAZING. The graphics and animations are superb. The story behind all of this is by far the best sequel I've played. Not to mention Valve managed to hit the comedy factor perfectly, because that is what makes them the best. They portray everything in Portal 2 as their best creation. I wish aperture scientists could invent a way to clear my memory so I can play Portal 2 OVER and over again. Not to mention the co op just makes everything much better. Well done Valve, well done. Expand
  15. Apr 25, 2011
    Best game I have played in a while, epic ending. Coop is neat. What is the best part though is that Portal 2 is fully moddable and it will insure great replay value.
  16. Apr 23, 2011
    I really don't even know where to begin. While I would not say this is the best Valve game ever made (I have a soft spot for HL 1), it is he best game they've made since HL2, and is definitely the best game to come out in years, AAA or not. They gameplay is slick, the puzzles are entertaining and reasonably challenging, and the co-op is polished and well thought out rather than being a last second tack on. However, the deal maker here is the writing. Why the hell can't other games have writing this good? I feel more attached to a mute woman with spring-legs and a sociopath AI than pretty much every video game character in the past 5 years. And this doesn't even include Cave Johnson and his lemons tirade, which may go down in history as the best lines ever uttered in a video game.

This game is great because there is nothing it can be compared to aside from Portal. It breaks the mold of great AAA titles being gritty, realistic, brown, based on combat, and super serious. If you want to hate the game, hate the fact that there is absolutely nothing else like it on the market save its predecessor. It is unique in a time when no other game really is. Yeah, it's a little short, but I have a feeling making a game based on intricate puzzles is a little harder to do than today's corridor shooter. Everything has to be fresh - you can't recycle entire test chambers like you can corridors in which to shoot people. All the same, it's a solid game for a solid price, and it will only get better after the SDK is released and some map makers start making the really challenging maps. If you've played the Portal 1 Flash Map Pack, you know what I'm talking about. Also, a note about the DLC. Yeah, no one really wants to pay real money for an e-hat. So don't. /v/ just hates video games, so they''ll trash anything they can. It's nice to see supporters of the game come out and give this game a deserving score, which isn't necessarily a 10 for everyone, but it's definitely not a 0-3. Valve did it again (and I was really skeptical about whether a full game could be made from the simple premise of Portal). Good work.
  17. Apr 23, 2011
    Really getting a little bit hipster-y with the reviews here, guys. It doesn't matter if it seems forced and over-hyped IF it is an incredible game, but a lot of people don't seem to want to admit that; it's more fun to bash a company that seems to have "sold out". Same to all the pissbuckets that are mad over buying the Potato Sack for a slightly earlier release: you got a slightly earlier release and got a bunch of top notch indie games for a steeply discounted price.

Now, to the actual game. The puzzles are just as clever as those from the original, and the extra elements just make them a bit more interesting to figure out (actually, executing the puzzles is more fun as well, seeing that you can now fly around quite a bit more, what with the aerial faith plates and repulsion gel).
    The storytelling seems to be some of the most solid in a videogame yet. No interactivity with the storyline, and yet it still seems more emotionally engaging then most other games that force a "moral decision" (see Bioshock, a great game that executed morality terribly).

Hey, didn't people also hate on another Valve sequel at launch? One that's pretty much the benchmark for FPS nowadays? Because of something trivial and unrelated to the game itself? And didn't that hate carry over to initial consumer opinions? Yeah.
  18. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is a much more accessible and refined gaming experience which will appeal to a larger audience. It still feels like Portal and your manipulation of these doorways through space are the main reason. The games real triumph is in taking game animation and voice recording to a whole new level. Valve deserve their comparisons to Pixar for this work of genius. JK Simmons and Stephen Merchant provide excellent performances doing the writing justice. Portal 2 is a hilarious, dark sci-fi comedy with real heart. This game will give you much more playtime than the first game and is a fuller realisation, a complete game. It is not only the game of the year but a benchmark for which game developers should aim for. Expand
  19. Apr 24, 2011
    Story comes to the forefront a bit more in this than the previous Portals. The puzzles aren't all that difficult but they are challenging and keep the story moving. Hopefully now that they've moved the story on they can release some good challenging DLC. Not sure what all the hate is there for, this is an excellent product by a great studio. A must play for any gamer in 2011.
  20. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games out there. Not just for Valve/Portal fans, but anyone who likes puzzles games and witty dialogue will enjoy it. I really haven't found a valid complaint about it. The characters are great and, while the first few levels are a little slow story-wise, it eventually picks up pace. And that's not to say those levels are bad, still fun puzzles and interesting remarks from GLaDOS. The game is fairly short, some say only 4 hours but most I know finish in 6 to 8, but after that you still have co-op, which if you haven't tried, you really need to. A lot of teamwork, but it's a ton of fun and you still have GLaDOS with her sarcastic remarks. Yes, the did have the Potato Sack, but even if you didn't like that it doesn't affect the actual game. Oh, no, DLC. All it is though is aesthetics for your co-op bot. It doesn't make Valve evil to try and make some money, and really it's great that it doesn't do anything to the actual gameplay. Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is just awesome! It's a bit overpriced for what it offers, but it's just awesome. You never get bored of playing it. Maybe a bit bored over Single Player but never bored of Co-Op since you always play with different people and there's always something different. Again, awesome game!!!
  22. Apr 24, 2011
    Played through to completion and it's almost everything I would have wanted in a sequel to Portal. The only thing I would mark it down for is it's probably a little too easy, the first contained more taxing puzzles and you were far more likely to die. This might be improved later down the line with free DLC levels and user based content. All in all, a great game.
  23. Apr 24, 2011
    Flawless, amazing and beautiful. This game blew me away. The worst part about it is I can't play it any more. Perfect 10 of 10. Bottom line is you need to get this game if you haven't already bought it.
  24. Apr 24, 2011
    For a little more than half of the price of a full retail normal game you get an AMAZING single-player experience and a two-player co-op mode with it's own story and levels... If this still isn't enough for you how about, achievements? cross-platform play? or even simply the extras like the videos, the commentaries, steam cloud or even the stats... If you don't see anything is this awesome story-driven puzzle game that ticks your interest maybe you should consider giving up on gaming altogether... Expand
  25. Apr 24, 2011
    9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application would let me play a game which I paid for with my own money, and on my slow North Welsh internet connection it took about 3 hours of pure downloading, rendering the internet useless for everyone else on my network. Expand
  26. Apr 24, 2011
    Definitely an enjoyable game, can't wait to try out the multiplayer. The single player was very enjoyable. The puzzles were fun and the story was rather enjoyable. While the game was a little short though I had a day off work and put in a good 8+ hours into didn't get very many achievements though. Will have to go back through to get all those.
  27. Apr 24, 2011
    If I could call Portal 2 an "interactive cinematic experience" instead of a "game" without being laughed at, I would. Portal 2 is best played as though the player is watching a movie. $50-60 is obviously far more than what it costs to watch a movie, but in terms of quality and depth of the content you are getting, Portal 2 is about equal in value per hard-earned dollar.

Portal 2 is a step
    forward for gaming as a medium. It provides an extremely polished experience from start to finish and doesn't resort to padding the game to give a false impression of value. No aspect of this game exists that has not been thoroughly tested and given extreme attention to detail. If you constantly find flaws when playing games that you think the developers should have changed, you will have a hard time finding similar flaws in Portal 2 and will likely feel comfortable playing through the game without worrying about the possibility of bumping into any poorly thought out game-design decisions.

Those who have not played the first Portal will likely enjoy this game more-so than people who have played the first and have certain expectations in mind for what this game is about. If you have played the first game and focus on solving each test-chamber like you did before, you are going to quickly become frustrated when you lose track of which test-chamber you have completed until you realize it no longer matters which test-chambers you solved because Portal 2 is broken up by chapters. Test chambers have become a part of the science-facility in the plot of Portal 2 rather than a way to break the game up into levels as in the first game. This method of progression makes the game's plot a smoothly-flowing story to experience and allows for plenty of freedom of thought that isn't restricted to the interior of the facility's testing chambers and lets players think about what goes on in the rest of the world outside of the testing-facility.

While the first game leads players to believe the overall goal is to solve all of the test chambers to get to the reward of cake and then makes a twist part way through the game, Portal 2 presents a much more personal plot containing more character development and progression which is all carefully and masterfully written.

The game's cooperative multi-player mode contains more traditional puzzle-solving where the story has less of an impact on gameplay. There are tidbits of details and dialogue in the multi-player that further expand upon the characters and plot of the single-player mode, but are not necessary to have a full movie-like experience if the player never plays it. There is some information only found in the multi-player mode related to the overall universe in which the plot of Portal 2 takes place, which may increase the value of this game for players who want to know more about the universe in which the Portal series takes place, which the developer Valve states is the same universe in which the Half-Life series of games take place.

In multiplayer the game is broken up into 5 main groups of puzzles which explore Portal 2's gameplay mechanics more in depth than in the game's single-player mode. The co-op mode gives players opportunities to make use of several game mechanics which work in the single-player mode but don't have any purpose in the single-player game or plot.

Portal 2 lacks some aspects of gameplay which players may be accustomed to finding in games such as a competitive multiplayer mode or a high level of difficulty. Objectively, I do not feel adding these aspects to Portal 2's gameplay would increase the game's quality, experience, or value, however there is a degree of personal taste needed to assess their effects on the game. Additionally, the PC version of Portal 2 contains a menu which can be used to customize the appearance of the playable characters of the multi-player component of the game using items purchased through real-life currency. These purchasable items make the co-op character's character-design less consistent than on the console versions and do not serve any practical purpose in terms of gameplay or plot progression and are purely optional to use, unless the player's partner chooses to use them. Objectively, I do not feel adding these items to Portal 2's multiplayer mode affects the game's quality, experience, or value, however once again, there is a degree of personal taste needed to assess their effects on the game.
  28. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is an excellent game. That's pretty much all there is to say about it, really. I played Portal for the first time, and then the sequel, over the course of a single weekend. The difference, and the similarity, was astounding. The first game was a revolution. The physics, the writing, the mood, setting, all something new and extremely fun. The sequel is an evolution. The same basic game, polished so finely it shines like a gem. Game play and difficulty were the same. The graphics, the story, the ingenuity, all drastically improved, with a story that flows almost seamlessly between the two. (At least with the modified ending to the first game.) Frankly, I'd recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  29. Apr 24, 2011
    Honestly the most fun I've had in a long time playing video games. I stumbled upon the first portal when I bought the Orange Box and was like ya these mini puzzles are fun and then all of a sudden I was escaping and was a fantastic. Portal 2 lived up to the hype I had of it in my mind and the voice acting is fantastic and fun plot, good pace, and some fairly difficult levels that had me stumped for awhile; but as soon as I figured them out you just think DUH. 10/10 Loved it. Also the ending is just sooooo good. Expand
  30. May 1, 2011
    Yes, it could be a short play - if all you're going for is a speed run, and if you're a puzzle-solving genius. For the rest of us - and I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say *most* of us - there's a great deal of fun to be had in slowing down to savor the environments, listening to all of the surprisingly hilarious dialogue, and seeking out the many secrets Valve has hidden in the game.

And beyond the single player, there's always co-op, which creates almost endless novelty. Playing with someone else ensures that even if the solution is the same, level replays always feel fresh. Music, voice acting, visual polish, and most of all, intellectually-engaging gameplay: Portal 2 has it all, in spades. And next time someone complains that video games are all about mind-numbing violence, sit them down with this one for a while and see if they can avoid turning their brains on.

Some users have also whined that Portal 2 looks like a "console port", which it rather clearly isn't (see also the standard PC graphics options), and if it was, so what? It's a game the has the bells and whistles of all the Source Engine games before it, looks great, and has a UI that's a joy to use. If it *were* a console port (which would be silly, considering the engine's heritage), it would be a how-to for any other companies looking to move games over to the PC.
  31. Apr 24, 2011
    Valve's unrivaled masterpiece in the top five games I've ever played worth every penny. Single player took me eight hours co-op around four. But I plan to do multiple run through's of both very soon.

I am disgusted by the cry baby, self entitled spoiled idiots that post on here. If you'd played this game and had any grievances you would have given it an average score. A low score is
    pathetic as the actual gameplay story and execution is undoubtedly absolute quality.

Shame on you, come out of your basement and learn to enjoy life, and great pieces of art like Portal 2.
  32. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is fantastic, and seeing some of the negative reviews posted by players, I feel I must chip in to help balance them out. This game is absolutely hilarious. I sort of rushed my first playthrough because I was so excited to get the game. Turns out I missed a lot of great lines in the process. The puzzles are also quite fun, a bit more difficult than Portal 1's puzzles. The game is short, yes, but every single minute is great. It is polished and there is ZERO fluff present. Also, the co-operative feature is amazing. I haven't had the chance to play all the way through co-op, but after playing it with one of my best friends, I must say that with the right partner, co-op can be very entertaining and fulfilling, and may be reason to buy the game alone--so long as you have lots of people to play it with. The only gripe I can think of is that for some sequences in the game, the "puzzle" amounts to finding the right surface to create a portal on, which amounts more to a Where's Waldo-type search than actually exercising critical thinking abilities. Fortunately, these parts are few and far between, and usually happen between actual puzzles, instead of being the focus of a puzzle itself.

Buy this game. You will have a great time.
  33. Apr 24, 2011
    valve always makes great games this is on exception portal2 expands on everything portal did and introduced characters that I will remember for a while. Good job valve, forget about the computer purest who are angry with the smallest things and make games like this again you are one of the few gaming company trying to move gaming forward and I applaud you. Thanks
  34. Apr 24, 2011
    Best game ever. Its pretty much a continuation of Portal. The writing is just as good as Portal. It never gets boring, a new gameplay mechanic is introduced before you can get bored. The portals are easier to hit, and its much easier to carry a cube through a portal. The only problem with it is the final fight is too easy.
  35. Apr 24, 2011
    Excellent game. Amazing level design, best looking source engine game I have ever played. Hilarious and entertaining dialogue, immersive story and environment. Easily the best game I have played in very long time. Yes the in-game store is a bit strange especially for such a short co-op campaign but it's OPTIONAL. You do not get any sort of unfair advantage for buying hats. Valve is easiest the best developer making games for PC and Portal 2 brings it to whole new level. Expand
  36. Apr 24, 2011
    Excellent game. A little short, at least when just considering the single-player campaign, but still a masterpiece, especially compared to some of the hyped up chaff that's come out recently (cough DA2 cough). Not sure what the hullabaloo over the DLC is about as it is unrelated to the game and completely unnecessary.
  37. Apr 24, 2011
    There are very few games that I play from the beginning to the end with practically no break, and Portal 2 is definitely one of them. It is a brilliant game which takes the concept of Portal 1, improves upon it and makes a full fledged game out of it. There is so much attention to detail, which is impossible to describe without spoilers, let's just say that if you stop and look around you for a second, every little poster on the wall, every little prop object in the world, will tell a story. The game is genuinely funny, from GlaDOS cinysm and resention, to Wheatley being a Wheatley. Then there is a second level of humor, ridiculing the world, past and present. Portal 2 will make you laugh, and it will make you laugh even more if you don't just run through the puzzles.

There have been rumors circulating around the net that the game is extremely short - it's not. There is no way anyone could go through the game, even if he knew the solutions to all the puzzles, in four hours. My guess would be that on average, it will take more than 8 hours to finish the game. More, if you poke around the rooms. There is no buffer content and it's a roller coaster ride from start to finish.

If you seriously dislike this gem of a game, I don't see how you can call yourself a gamer, because it shows brilliance left and right, in it's every single aspect.
  38. Apr 24, 2011
    I haven't even played this game and it is amazing. I've been watching my brother play it and from an outside perspective it is still crazy fun. The puzzles are challenging, it's got the funniest writing and voice acting and it's just plain fun.
  39. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 was pitch perfect in terms of dialog, characters, narrative, and pacing. Everything about this game was extremely satisfying. Even the Co-op, which I was worried was tacked on as fan service, was a splendid mind-bending experience. Also I think a special hats off to the character animators who were able to emote so much with the limited robotic designs of Wheatley and GLaDOS.
    My
    only complaints were the constant loading screens between puzzles. I'm not sure if it's a limit of the aging Source engine (which aesthetically looks great) or a conscious design decision, but it was mildly annoying. I am also a little disturbed by the online store for robot gestures. I'm not so much bothered that it exists in this game, because it's completely inconsequential, but I worry that Valve will get caught in a slippery slope of microtransactions and that it could be bad news for future games. Expand
  40. Apr 25, 2011
    I just finished Portal 2 single player yesterday, i can say that it was amazing! I can't understand those bad review, but i admit that i like Portal 2 so much! This was the best Valve's game ever, TF2, HL2, Portal, and now? Portal 2!!! Btw, this game was great, excellent job, Valve!! Keep it up!
  41. Apr 25, 2011
    Out of all the games over the last 2 years I have not played something that gives the player such an varied experience between story and gameplay that not only captivates the player but also challenges them. This is really one above the traditional shooting gallery FPS that plagues the market today. Valve's best title to date. Voice acting = 10/10 Gameplay = 10/10 CO-OP = 10/10
    Soundtrack = 10/10

Everything about this game screams quality. The effort the team put in is clearly shown, and that is why Portal 2 is now in my top ten favourite games. In regards to those who are complaining about the ARG or the in game DLC. These are two things separate of in-game content. Valve keeps getting compared to Zynga games because of their hat store's but people forget how Valve give constant free content to players for their title's such as L4D 1 and 2 and TF2. If Valve where like some of the other companies they would easily be charging for that content. So quit your moaning and appreciate a game that just Ooze's Perfect.
  42. Apr 25, 2011
    I expected it to be great but Valve still blew my expectations away. The negative comments by a few PC gamers oozing with self entitlement saddens me. We will blame them when Valve leaves PC gaming for a more lucrative and less ungrateful customer base. Check out RockPaperShotgun for a well argued and researched counter to all the trolling.
  43. Apr 25, 2011
    One of the Best Games i ever Played. A must have! I have played Portal 1 and i need 3 Hours max. Now in Portal 2 i played about seven or eight Hours and now i play it with Producer Commands. So i have enough to do.
  44. Apr 25, 2011
    Superb - improves upon the first game in almost every way. The new additions to the gameplay mechanic are innovative and fun. The single player campaign is excellent, with great narrative and engaging characters. I've only played a couple of hours of co-op but what I've seen so far works really well, and it's clear a lot of effort has been put into getting the multiplayer right. Hats off to Valve for once again putting out an impressive, well-balanced and memorable title. An essential purchase for anyone that enjoyed the first game, and for anyone that has yet to experience the Portal universe. Expand
  45. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic game from start to finish. The criticism for the DLC is completely unfounded. Its purely cosmetic and you can't blame a company for offering people an OPTION. The people who don't care for the option are free to not use it and the people who like it can use it. Personally I never understood people who need content to be made unavailable for others to feel good. Can't we all just take our right to choose and choose what we like instead of choosing what others should have? Expand
  46. n47
    Apr 25, 2011
    It's hard to decide between a 9 and a 10 for Portal 2. It's not perfect, shorter than we'd all like but that's hardly surprising considering the amount of dialogue and attention to detail in the game.

I laughed for a near-solid 4 hours during the coop campaign (play with a good, newbie friend on your first play through, trust me - you want to be experiencing the puzzles for the first
    time, at the same time), and for the vast majority of the 5-8 hour single player. And there's another point, the co-op is a completely new story, with very different test chambers making use of a full four portals and two players - it is a "must play" part of the game - something that cannot be said for the vast majority of games. Fantastic game, great atmosphere and a phenomenal voice acting/dialogue. If I could give it a 9.5 I would, but on this scale it's worth a 10. Expand
  47. Apr 25, 2011
    A group of people have used metacritic as a tool for a smear campaign on the game, for their own reasons. When you look at the profiles of a lot of those who put 0 or 1, you see that many have not reviewed any other games, and some of them openly say that they will wait to buy the game!! That said, I have played for 4 hours yet, and I am only in the third chapter of the solo, and just began the co-op with a friend. So much for 4 hours, which is a blatant lie... As for the game itself, the story is great, characters really funny, and the graphics are really very good. Water, for example, is the best I ever saw in a game. And the puzzles are really great to solve. You really have a sensation of achievement when you complete them. The difficulty is just how it should be. For players who ant a super hard game, I remember that some of my friends, who were very good at the first Portal, even not finished Portal Prelude because it was MUCH too difficult. Maximum difficulty sometimes makes for a boring game. Difficulty of Portal 2 is what I expected of this game.

And one last thing: only Valve know how to begin games like they do. You are right from the beginning in the game, but you still complete a kind of tutorial without knowing it, the story is explained, and you are not bored at all. For a lot of games nowadays, you have to play 1 hour at least to start to find intereting things going on. Here it's just after one second ;)
  48. Apr 25, 2011
    Whether you like puzzle games or just enjoy good writing / voice acting / overall presentation - play Portal 2.

I write this review because a user score of 8.2 is still too low for this gem.
  49. Apr 25, 2011
    It's pathetic to see this bunch of trolling here, from people who clearly didn't play the game or are complaining about the wrong things. Portal 2 was simply the best FPS experiences I've had this year. Valve did a brilliant work in the game. It was impossible not to fall in love with the sound, the outstanding Aperture facility visual, and the awesome voice work in this game. Both the single player and the co op are so much fun, and if you take four hours to finish the game you'll lose almost half of it's content. Just forget about the store, you're not compelled to buy anything. Expand
  50. Apr 25, 2011
    Perhaps the best game I have played in my lifetime. In short, gaming PERFECTION.

VALVe used the contextual storytelling as only they can, with plot twists and jokes hidden within levels and voiceovers. The Cave Johnson voiceovers (accompanied by others) add detail and humor to the levels, with GLaDOS are sarcastic as ever, and Wheatley is as moronic as the trailers make out. The voice
    acting is a million times better than Portal's (which was then the best I'd heard when I played it), making you adore and care for these characters more than any human character. The length is perfect, as are the puzzles, which make you wonder for ages, before finding a simple answer. Although, maybe fewer flingy puzzles.

Frankly what is all the fuss with DLC about? It does nothing to the game, and it's basically some TF2 hats.
  51. Apr 25, 2011
    I've finished the game few minutes ago. What to say? Epic. Just epic. Valve had done an incredible work. One of the most amazing games out there. Fantastic plot and funny dialogues, deep and humorous characters. Game play is perfect and Co op is a funny and challenging addiction. And I didn't understand all that people that say Portal 2 is short. For me a 15 hours game is more than acceptable, considering how great it is throughout the story. Congratulations Valve! Expand
  52. Apr 25, 2011
    I felt compelled to comment here because the game is, quite undoubtably, a masterpiece. Everything from the script to the pacing and the understanding of 3D space is perfectly executed. One of the few games that might genuinely deserve a 10.0 review.

For those of you who feel that this game somehow deserves a bad reviews, I have this to say to you:
    http://tombattey.blogspot.com/2011/04/elitism-and-how-to-shut-hell-up.html Please do read, and get back to me. Expand
  53. Apr 25, 2011
    Dubious marketing and in-game shopping excluded, Portal 2 is what made original Portal so great and so much more. With such great production values, story, characters, design and balanced puzzles, there's no way Portal 2 can go wrong. And then there's co-op. Absolutely brilliant package.
  54. Apr 25, 2011
    I have played this game for a couple hours now and in a word, brilliant. The puzzles are considerably different than those in the first Portal, especially with the introduction of so many new elements to interact and manipulate. I do not normally write reviews but the low scores based solely on school yard pettiness and lack of reason really needed an offset. Cosmetic DLC on day one equates to a zero??? Really??? Haters gotta hate and trollers gotta troll I suppose. Great game Valve! Keep up the good work! Expand
  55. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic game, amazing score, most fun I've had playing a video game all year. The single player is gripping and advances on the aperture story line and the multiplayer opens up possibilities for the future.
  56. Apr 25, 2011
    I am giving Portal 2 a score of 10 by comparing it to other games that I have played, not of any game that could ever have been made.

Portal 2 is a fantastic homage to Portal. Although Portal was itself an amazing game, I felt it lacked polish in places and had a lot of potential. Portal 2 realizes that potential; It is a beautiful looking game, has fantastic music and plays perfectly.
    The puzzles are intuitive and incredibly rewarding and like the original game, Valve gently nudges you towards a correct solution subtly enough to reward your ego handsomely. I'm also certain that you have a degree of freedom in how you complete some puzzles, in that you don't have to exactly follow the clearly defined path to arrive at a solution, allowing those with more abstract thought processes to progress through the game as well. Little touches, such as music being augmented at a certain point in the game as you interact with something, or do something in particular, lead the game to be incredibly immersive. On top of the fantastic story line, and tinted sense of humor carried over from Portal, this makes for a thoroughly fresh experience in comparison to the majority of games released recently.

The only particular critique I have with the game, is that I didn't want it to end. But games can't last forever, and the cooperative experience is fantastic. I had a quick look at the in game shop to check out some of the clothing you can buy, didn't find it appealing, and ignored it.

I can't really give Portal 2 a lower score because it 'Wasn't long enough'; It easily gives you over 10 hours of play time initially, and if you're like me, you'll probably play through the campaign a second or third time, to try and solve puzzles in different ways, or find Easter eggs and glitches. Not only that, but Valve are releasing the Portal 2 SDK, allowing users to create their own maps to play in Portal 2. I expect that the community will contribute some amazing puzzles, further increasing the life span of the game. As such, you not only get the campaign play time, but as you hear about a certain map that is fantastic every week or so, you will keep coming back to the game, and enjoy fresh, free content.

Valve have achieved everything I hoped they would, and I feel Portal 2 thoroughly deserves the score I have awarded it.
  57. Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't finished the game, actually I'm on part when Cave Johnson's voice leads you. Portal is more more awesome than I expected. Great story with great characters. First Portal I finished many many times and I wanted more! Then Valve released radio achievement and I was sure that Portal 2 comes soon. I bought it month before premiere and I was very angry when courier came to my house and nobody heard intercom and I have to wait one long day for second delivery. In my opinion Portal 2 is same epic as first Portal. It have great graphic and awesome soundtrack. Expand
  58. Apr 25, 2011
    From beginning to end I was having as much fun as any game has provided for me. The puzzles were challenging but solvable, the mechanics are as strong as ever and they added so much to the game without making it convoluted, the story was engaging with brilliant characters and voice acting (Steven Merchant just topped it off). It was a nice length this time (the first portal was very short). Overall it just seemed like a game that the developers really cared about when making. It's only April but I doubt I play a better game this year. Expand
  59. Apr 25, 2011
    This game is fantastic, easily one of the top five games of all time. The ending it self is the best to any game I have ever played. Character design is top notch, along with the voice acting. There is a subtle story in the background that is only bested by the story on the surface. The game it self runs a length of 8-10 hours depending on how long it takes to solve some of the tests. In addition to the single player you are also given co-op to play with a friend. All of these negative reviews are nit picking things that are mostly false. The game play hours are well above the 3-5 stated in other reviews. The "DLC" is only cosmetic that you by no means need in order to fully enjoy the game, you even get some of them for free by getting achievements. As for the save game screen stating "Do not turn off your console", most people won't even see this screen since a save takes less than a second, and the word "console" was just one word that wasn't change back to "computer" in some code. Complaining about the ARG (Alternate Reality Game) releasing the game early (which it technically was released early) was never promised by Valve, it was simple speculation until the last weekend. Even then you were never forced to purchase the games in the "potato sack". I enjoyed getting the back story and intrigue that went along with the ARG, which is what they are meant for. Expand
  60. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic fun, very entertaining, Cave Johnson was the best. Single player wasn't as difficult as I was hoping but mulitplayer definitely provides challenges.
  61. Apr 25, 2011
    Awesome story, the complaints about DLC and short story are stealing the headlights unfortunatly. as a £/hour rate, easily equivelent to movie rentals, and much cheaper than cinema viewing. The number of laughs i had playing this game and the co-op have suprised me.
  62. Apr 25, 2011
    I will start off my review by stating the obvious- the game is excellent. The characters are charming and hilarious. they bring the story to life and make the experience featured in the game an exciting and thrilling one that delivers right until the end. the pacing is genius; the game never feels like its sending you through a meat grinder of puzzles. The difficulty sits in perfect balance. when you complete a puzzle a great sense of accomplishment is felt that makes you feel intelligent. even the most seasoned Portal Veteran will find difficulty in this game. Now I will address something that has been really bothering me about the user reviews on this game and many others. it seems that every sequel, big title, or high budget game gets slander with a slue of unfair scores written by people who have obviously never played the game. look at negative review of this game; I can guarantee that %90 of the people who will claim ownership to these reviews have never even played that game. I understand that we are all entitled to express our opinions but I also believe that if an opinion is not supported with proper facts and arguments it holds no true merit and can be disregarded. I guess what I'm really try to say is 'get the stick out of your ass'. You should not gain a negative notion about a game simply because its a sequel to a game that people enjoyed. Valve obviously worked hard on this game for four years and to slander it without playing it just goes to show that some people just do not appreciate games or their developers and should be removed from this site. Expand
  63. Apr 25, 2011
    Valve has again exceeded every limit current high end games contain according to perfection. Portal 2 is simply one of the best games of all time, I can't say more than that.
  64. Apr 25, 2011
    Simply the best Valve sequel ever. I enjoyed Portal 2 way more then Portal and I enjoyed Portal a lot. The story line is amazing and the graphics are as well. Valve out did themselves on this one, keep up the good work.
  65. Apr 25, 2011
    Best game I've played in years. It has it all. If you appreciate good video games, play this and you'll enjoy every second. The story twists and turns, the dialogue is hilarious, the fleshed out history of Aperture is fascinating. Behind all of that it's a devilishly clever puzzle game which remains fresh after a few additions. I can't recommend Portal 2 enough.
  66. Apr 25, 2011
    I came for the dry black humor and the mind bending puzzles. I stayed for the great graphics, improved physics and engrossing storyline, along with an ending that did not at all disappoint as I'd expected it to. I will be playing this one over and over.
  67. Apr 25, 2011
    The problem with portal 2 is that it is a squeal to an amazing game. That means it has to live up to the expectations of the original portal fans. Portal surprised and amazed everyone with how good it was, and now people have unfairly high expectations of portal 2. Even though many people think Portal 2 was not as good as the first one, it was still an amazing game, and easily deserves a 10/10.
  68. Apr 25, 2011
    After completing the game, I felt sad it was over, it was such a good experience. The writing and voice acting was brilliant and had me laughing all the way through. At points it could even make you feel a little fearful, which is an amazing achievement in a game with no real enemies. I would say that the difficulty of this game was below what I was expecting (probably been thinking with portals too long). However, even with a relatively low difficulty level, it didn't detract from the enjoyment for me at all. When it was completed, I went straight back to new game so I could enjoy every sarcastic remark a second time and very few games make me want to replay them that quickly. Expand
  69. Jun 11, 2011
    Probably the best Valve game ever. Simply brilliant. Has all the charm and humor of the original, while adding new elements making the puzzles much more challenging. It took me about 9 hours to finish. 11/10. Simply epic!
  70. Apr 25, 2011
    A truly unique and amazing game. It stands above the crowd of imitators and brings with it the best SP and Co-Op experience I have played in years. Great visuals, fantastic voicing acting, beautifully designed, excellent writing and pitch perfect control all polished to near perfection. Game of the Year.
  71. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is a refined Portal 1. Nearly everything was improved from the first game. The puzzles are more interesting, varied, and satisfying to solve. The writing is funnier, more clever, and it's one of the most quotable pieces of media ever. If you liked the first, Christmas has come early. If you didn't, science says that you're a horrible person.
  72. Apr 25, 2011
    I don't understand how people give a game a low score (or zero) for including completely optional, PURELY AESTHETIC options. Now, had they included maps or new levels of any kind and made me pay to unlock it, that would warrant a lower score. I, for one, much prefer the default skins of the bots. They didn't need to add anything extra to them, but decided to, so if you have the money and desire, you can make them look different. But I'm quite confident in making the assumption that a good portion of people rather the default bot looks.

ANYWAY... Onto my actual review:

Some people may think it's a tad too short, but honestly, if it were any longer, some or all of the sections probably would have started to feel dragged out. Like many people, I was just about ready to call it quits for a portal-break right before I realized I was in chapter 9. That bit of game-pacing alone just helped to make the game even better than it had been a few seconds earlier.

Also, some people might have said it was too easy. It was a little easier than some of the hardcore Portal 1 mods that some people might have been hoping for, but it was on par with Portal 1, just without some of the lightening-reaction moments. It's a puzzle game, and Valve did an excellent job gauging the difficulty. I was able to play through it without getting horrifically angry at any one puzzle, but without feeling like I wasn't doing anything. I'm certain that my having trained heavily through the use of expert portal 1 map packs helped add to the ease with which I beat Portal 2, but my personal expertise is NOT something to rate the game down for.

And the story. It was great. They fed off of the (very) little history provided in Portal 1, and fully realized Aperture Science, while continuing your relation with GLaDOS in a way more personal than many may have thought, while also introducing some new characters. In a way, Portal 2 acted as a sequel, and functional prequel to Portal, which I found amazing.

And then there's coop. Fun. Just plain fun. No guarantees if you aren't playing with a friend, but the half-dozen or so people I've ran into in random internet matches have been great fun. A lot of the times it may seem that there is only one solution to any given coop map, but in two cases, I'm almost certain the only solution I could come to is the wrong one, and that feels great.

My final verdict? If you've played Portal 1, definitely buy Portal 2. If you haven't played Portal 1, buy Portal 1 and THEN buy Portal 2. It's as perfect a game as you could ask for!
  73. Apr 25, 2011
    Ohh this is it. The best game Ever done! Story, graphics, amazing characters, etc..... This game has got it all. Unless Ep3 is released soon... Portal 2 is going to be in the Top 1 for a loong time...
  74. Apr 25, 2011
    With the same humor and charm as the first with nine times the science, this game really exemplifies the greatest of modern puzzle games, but somehow calling Portal 2 a mere puzzle game doesn't seem to really do it justice.

If you are on the fence about your purchase you can always just buy the ps3 version and sell the disc after you've redeemed your steam code, but chances are you're not
    going to want to. Expand
  75. Apr 26, 2011
    It is the gr8 game of valve.if portal 2 supports DX11 may be it will become the game of the year,but it isn't...
    Now just w8 for HALF LIFE 2 EPISODE 3, then we will see which is the gr8 game...
  76. Apr 26, 2011
    Fantastic in all areas. The single player expanded on the original in unique and fun ways. The story telling kept up the pace set by portal. Level design as usual was flawless. I completed it in 14 hours including co-op and still need to go back for more... so what are you complaining about?? The co-op was without a doubt the best bit of multiplayer gaming I have ever engaged in. It almost needs it's own review as it was so seperate from the single player :) Expand
  77. Apr 26, 2011
    Jaw droppingly good looking, top notch gameplay, and amazing story. This is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. I played this once and look forwards to playing it again as I feel that I missed a lot of content.
    While this game may be "short" compared to some games there is never a dull moment and it is packed to the brim with content
  78. Apr 26, 2011
    Smart, funny and very entertaining. Portal 2 was an experience that you will never forget. Its rewarding and the co-up makes you want to hug your fellow robot companion. Looking back on Portal, Portal 2 is better in each and every way, even though the source engine is old, its just perfect for a game like this.
  79. Apr 26, 2011
    As with most Valve games, the production quality of Portal 2 is phenomenal compared to any other game I have played in the past few years. Graphics are a big improvement over the original, and new source engine features like the ability to limit frame rate to save power on a laptop are welcome. The entire game, including the coop campaign, was very funny and entertaining, even if some of the humor fell on the subtle side (similar jokes to the first game's "cake" do exist, but they aren't as obviously displayed). I enjoyed each of the plot twists and the entire campaign felt like it was paced well. The coop campaign is entirely unique from the single player, adding even more quality content in the mix. I hope to see the availability of new maps to be added, and it does appear to be possible, but will take off a couple of tenths just because it wasn't shipped with the game.

My final score is 9.7/10
  80. Apr 26, 2011
    If you want a game with ticklish and rewarding gameplay, humour, pathos, narrative, beautiful art design, immersive envrionments, terrific voice acting, great pacing, awesome co-op, all applied with just enough polish, then Portal 2 is the game for you. It expands on the original in many ways but is not weighed down by it's predecessor. One of the most accomplished AAA titles of the last few years. This game has it all. I can't recommend it enough. Expand
  81. Apr 26, 2011
    This game is absolutely brilliant. It improves in every conceivable way on the original Portal, it is wittier, funnier, more involving and interesting plot and the puzzles are much more challenging. Ignore all the 0/10 scores from fan boys that seem to have an illusion of entitlement. If you only very mildly enjoyed Portal 1 then this game is an absolute must have. Also anyone who complains about the length doesn't know what they are talking about. If it had been any longer it would have just got very slow and boring. A 6 hour solo campaign with a 4-5 hour coop campaign with the promise of extra levels in the future is plenty. Well worth the money. Expand
  82. Apr 26, 2011
    This is a great game and I loved every minute of it. I can complain that it was a bit expensive, $50 for a computer game that is short is a bit much but if I wanted it cheaper I could have waited for it to go on sale. As for all the negative reviews on it all I can say is haters be hatin' and trolls be trollin' lol
  83. Apr 26, 2011
    Absolute fun, the ending is hilarious, one of the better endings in games I've seen. Also hidden somewhere a link to black mesa!! Can't wait to see how it will relate to future halve life games :-) Don't understand why people give zero points, probably people who can't enjoy games without having a gun...
  84. Apr 26, 2011
    Is a two hour movie twice as good as a one hour movie? If youre a mouth-breathing hater who judges the value of a game by how many hours of button mashing are required to complete it, then you probably are not capable of appreciating the fact that Portal 2 doesnt waist one single second of the players time. Every moment is fun, deeply satisfying, and worth replaying over and over again. The Animation, Multi-Player, Art, Story, Humor, Sound, Music, Difficulty, and Stability, are all top notch. Portal 2 is a masterpiece that wouldnt have been as good if it were any shorter or any longer. Expand
  85. Apr 26, 2011
    For those that say this is a console port you're wrong. For those that say it's "too short" again... wrong. (Those claiming to have finished it in 4 hours are flat out lying.) DLC on day one? Come on. It's a skin and nothing more. It doesn't affect the game at all. So complaining about DLC from day one makes you look like a moron.

This is one of the most original and engaging games
    released within the last decade. Period. Expand
  86. Apr 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, this was a great game. The graphics were beautiful, the dialogue was hilarious, the story was intriguing, and the new gameplay additions (e.g. the new gels) were fun and interesting. The reason why I gave this a 9 (but I'd rather give it an 8.5) instead of a 10 is because I really didn't like some of the levels deep in the bowels of Aperture Science after Wheatley sent Chell and GLaDOS all the way down. I would have preferred to have some of the levels that we saw in the trailers, but instead we received several parts where we basically just had to use the zoom feature to find a portal-friendly wall half a mile away. So for a couple parts of the game, I feel like we were thinking a lot less with portals and instead just looking around for a white wall. It was also a bit on the shorter side considering the hype and all the delays. But this is just me nit-picking at an otherwise fantastic game. Expand
  87. Apr 26, 2011
    Simply Amazing , the characterization in this game is the best Ive ever seen, you actually care about them and they feel so real. The game play is revolutionary , nothing like this has ever been made before. The story wraps things up beautifully . . . anyone who hasn't played this yet . .. needs too!
  88. Apr 26, 2011
    Portal2 COOL GAME! I love valve! I HATE PORTAL3!!! :D YEAH!
    PORTAL 2 THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!!!!11111one
    From Russia with love ;)
    Valve thanks! Portal 2 cool!
  89. Apr 26, 2011
    Truly an excellent with just a few flaws. Lets just start with the positives. This game completely captures the esscence of Portal while improving it immensely. In all truth, no matter how good it was, the originally portal was really just a tech demo (a very good one at that). Portal 2 adds more sustainability by not adding a ton of new features but just improving everything. The story suddenly is completely fleshed out and you get lots of backstory about GLaDOS and Aperture Science. The new game mechanics (not to be spoiled here) are great and trigger mental activity in ways games aren't supposed to. The new coop mode just adds onto that. It's amazing how much depth can be added on just through an additional 2 portals. My only problem with this game is it's length. Although I personally am not too into the artificial re-playability with objects like collectibles, Portal 2 literally offers no chance for any re-playability. The point of a puzzle game is to get you to think. Portal 2 does that, but after you solve the puzzle once then you will know how to solve it again, maybe even faster. There's very little point to playing the game again. Extending off this the game was also extremely short (I finished in under 5 hours). That's not me bragging, I usually finish games in around 20-40 hours, I'm just a little slow, but for me those 5 hours, while enjoyable, were just much too short. Playing through coop took me a little longer but it still only extended it to 13 hours or so. Either way the game cut a little short.

Overall, the game truly is amazing. It will give you one of the best experiences for the short time you'll be playing it until you beat it and then never touch it again.
  90. Apr 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game in a nutshell, is a work of genius. The way that the humour is so skillfully intertwined with such dark subject matter, and the fact that the game has such involved levels; which will cause people to actually think, rather than just "run and gun" which most modern games seem to be about. It is usually the fact that cinematics are more impressive than the actual gameplay of the game- in this case, they are both as impressive as each other, from the powering up of "GLADOS", to the fantastic ending of the game. It seems that Valve don't appear to be able to stop bringing out quality games for the PC! Great job! Expand
  91. Aug 19, 2011
    Great, just great. Plot is very intriguing, some giant computer is making fun all the time on you and trying to screw you as much as she can.

I don't know how game is so simple and so much interesting. I don't like maze or "logically" games cos they are for narrowed minded ( no offence but 100% of that type of games are linear), and often non-logical.

In this you have no bugs, no
    stupid hidden buttons, pappier under camouflaged door step or passage to find. Just riddle and your mind. Clean and provocative.

GREAT i gave it 10!
  92. Apr 27, 2011
    The Dark humor and compelling puzzles make this a must play for anyone with a pulse. Valve consistently creates masterpieces that will last in the memories of the players for the rest of their gaming lives, and this is no exception. Unfortunately, an experienced player can beat the single player in around 5 or 6 hours in a good run, but they are without a doubt the best few hours you'll spend playing a game, until Half-life Episode 3. "I'm Cave Johnson, We're done here." Expand
  93. Apr 30, 2011
    From the moment that i awoke in my relaxation room, i knew that Portal 2 was going to exceed all expectations that i had. Upon jumping out of the room, i had to stop playing just to show everyone in my household the hilarious writing that i had already seen. Did i mention i wasn't even 5 minutes into the game yet? I took a break for the day though after the intro, probably because i had already gotten more out of this game than i usually do out of other games i play. When i went back to playing it, i was hooked, and the game got better and better. As the game went on the puzzles got more creative, the characters were developed more fully than in almost any other game, DESPITE THE FACT that the characters were robots. Overall, i would say Portal 2 is a game that will hook you with it's plot twists and humorous characters, and is a game that nobody should miss. Expand
  94. Apr 27, 2011
    Best Valve game to date. The story and puzzles never fail to boggle the mind. Shows how a little title packaged with a few other games can claim it's own title of Game of the Year 2011. My pick of the year so far.
  95. Apr 27, 2011
    Awesome game! No flaws worth mentioning. I was a big fan of the first game, and I don't know why more people weren't. I tried to explain it to people who I'd have thought would like it, and their eyes glazed over, like "OK...". The second game picks up right where the other left off, with a little bit of a reminder as to how everything worked. Then it continues with the great sarcastic humor and perfectly thought-out challenges that just builds upon itself so cleverly in every way. Yeah, I'd give it a ten. Mind you, although I've finished the single-player, I've only spent about 45 mins on the co-op mode. I think that is brilliant so far too, but you should take that into account. Expand
  96. Apr 28, 2011
    This is an incredible game. The production/professionalism regarding Valve is unmatched. I cannot believe how well crafted this game was; I just cannot think of a single flaw. As far as graphics goes they're amazing and ran incredibly well with how ancient my computer is. The sound quality is also top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the ARG promotions and wonder why people always question a good thing. Ignorance I suppose. Anyways, if you're a mature player who enjoys an engaging story and a sense of accomplishment I highly encourage you to buy this game for yourself or as a gift on Steam. You will be a happy camper! Thanks for reading my review, and thanks Valve!!! Expand
  97. Apr 28, 2011
    Awesome game what more can I say. It makes you laugh, enjoy, think, it has also good graphics, sound effects, awesome voice acting and excellent story and co-op mode.
  98. Apr 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the gameplay and the gfx.
    This is the best game of its kind.
    And i really love the co-op mode in this game to play with your friends, thats just a awesome game!
    I can only recommend it.
  99. Apr 28, 2011
    What is with all the negativity? I mean I know it features quite a short story but that really is no reason to give it such low marks, It was an astonishingly immense experience. The voice acting was great and the comedy was non stop hilarity. You can flame on about fan boys all you want but the real reason this deserves a 9 is because it was better than the 1st game and by a long shot, I have played through co-op multiple times and enjoy it every single play through. It's one of those games you get the most out of and you feel like you must hang onto it, then you find yourself picking it up again and enjoying the feeling once more that you don't know the puzzle solution because you've forgot. Expand
  100. Apr 28, 2011
    This game is a serious game of the year contender. This game looks beautiful even using an old game engine, has an amazing story, awesome voice acting, and an ending that will truly leave you smiling and give you something to remember. This game was every thing I expected and more. If I had to recommend this game I most certainly would. The Co-op is super fun and allows you to play with your friends for the first time in the Portal series. This Co-op is about as long as the story so it doubles the playability. You will most likely play this game more then once like i did with Portal and will do with Portal 2. Valve announcing today that there will be DLC's for this game, so you would expect to get a lot of game time out of this game. For the PC version of this game there will most definitely custom maps as well as challenge levels as there were in the first game. In conclusion, this game is a must buy that after all DLC's and custom maps you will get 30+ hours out of this puzzler. I highly recommend it to anyone, but a word of warning. if you are planing on buying this game and haven't played Portal 1 then go and play that first or you will be lost. Expand

1. Oct 20, 2011