8.8

1. Apr 26, 2011
    The single player game is 10 hours of pure joy. The best writing in gaming, great puzzles and lots of laughs. The only complaint I have is that you have to increase the mouse sensitivity a bit for the controls to be perfect. Source engine screams: I'm running on Mac Mini late 2010 (Win 7 via Bootcamp) with a 320M and 4GB of memory with all the bells and whistles turned on - never dropped a frame. Expand
  2. Apr 23, 2011
    Okay the short version, Portal 2 is a masterpiece. Buy it. Go on, do it now. For those of you who like to read, here's the detailed version. Portal 2 is the funniest game I've ever played. You need to play this just for the comedy value. Remember those amusing Cave Johnson trailers? Its like that throughout the entire game. The writing and voice acting are amazing, and this combines to allow the various robots in Portal 2 to show far more personality and emotion, than Human characters in a lot of other games by other developers. The level design is creative and the puzzles are intelligent, and best of all, the game doesn't grab you by the ear and drag you to the objectives. Instead, the player is given space to work out the solutions for themselves. There are clues, but they are subtly built into the surrounding area. If you're ever stuck, just look around, and you'll figure it out. Like the first game, the player is taught new tricks slowly, before getting a chance to use what they learned in more complex situations. I personally value gameplay over graphics, but if graphics are your thing, Portal 2 is gorgeous to look at. I've read some people saying the single player is 4 hours long. This is completely wrong, it took me 8 hours, and I don't see how anyone could get through it in under 6 even knowing all the solutions straight away. There is also a coop mode which I haven't tried yet, but which should add a bit of extra replayability. The only bad thing I can mention is the inclusion of the Mann Co â Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    I don't usually bother writing reviews, but I had to write this to counter all those baseless low scores. Notice that most scores after release day or 9 or 10s? This has got to be the best game Valve has put out so far, even if it's short. People complain because Valve made it out to be the best thing since sliced bread, well guess what? Every developer over-hypes their game, it's how you sell. Obviously if you don't enjoy puzzles or Portal 1 you won't like this, that's like hating FPS games and expecting to like Halo of CoD.

If you liked Portal this offers more of the same, with the edition of a story, new areas, improved graphics, and much longer gameplay. It also introduces some new features that make the puzzles more interesting. It's not perfect, despite what Valve and their fanboys make it out to be, but considering it's as long as most FPS games that people pay full price for, it's well worth what Valve asks for (and you can often find it for less).
  4. Apr 23, 2011
    Not going to lie, this is one of the best games I have ever played. Like puzzles? Portal 2 has got you. Awesome story? check. The game retains most of the magic of it's predecessor, and makes it even better. GoTY all the way.
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 very simply tops the original in almost every single way with the only thing letting it down being the reduced novelty of the basic portal mechanic. It is incredibly well written, excellently voiced characters with genuinely designed levels and all wrapped up in a package of non-conformism compared to the usual AAA video games.

Ultimately Portal 2 is just a pure piece of
    entertainment from start to finish and if it does not get Game of the Year then there simply is no justice in the industry. No game in the past three years comes close to what Portal 2 is and that is not just opinion, it is the truth of the matter.

Get this game on PC/Mac or PS3, only get the 360 version if you have no other choice since you get the most value from the other versions.

And for all those who badly rated Portal 2 on metacritic for asinine reasons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yytbDZrw1jc
  6. Apr 24, 2011
    Most of the things I love about this game have already been addressed in other user reviews.. I'll just say that this is probably the first game I've seen that can be funny, scary and mysterious at the same time. Also, the dynamic music engine is wonderful. Looking forward to post-release DLC chambers!
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    Great game that is well written and has a fantastic sense of humor. I havnt tried the multiplayer yet(still working on single player) but the game could well be game of the year(we will see about Skyrim).
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    Totally best game from Valve. Story is fantastic, personalities are fantastic. Whole game is FANTASTIC. Really good optimization. Playing on notebook and it slightly heatened. Tryed coop too. Ending is way out of my mind. Very cool. Damn, don't have so many words to describe the game. Entourages are so EPIC, especially at the BOTTOM. Really Good Game. Best regards, Valve. Maybe you will surprise us with more stories and games. Expand
  9. Apr 23, 2011
    The best game I have ever played. Challenging, funny, long, and just plain brilliant. Its a workout for your brain, but if you are up for it, is incredibly rewarding.
  10. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is is the best game from valve ever, the visuals are unbelivable, the sound is amazing, the puzzles are hard but once you figure it out it you feel smart and love it, the story is unbalivabley awesome, co-op is great ONLY if your friends have it otherwise you dont get to play... otherwise thats good, still this is the most awesome thing ever...of all time.
  11. Apr 24, 2011
    I really don't understand the hate some users are heaping on this--this game is FUN!

Absolutely loved it all. The dialog is once again endlessly quotable: sharp, witty, and intelligent. Those reporting that it's not funny...are certainly not humorous people. In fact, they're probably dead bores, socially obtuse, and only adept at creating awkward silences. For anyone else with half a
    sense of humor, this stuff is gold. Plot's solid, there's some great history about Aperture Laboratories, and it does a great job at wrapping everything up. The puzzles are challenging, all the new elements are a lot of fun, and it feels like there was a great deal of thought, care, and innovation put into this. As I played, I couldn't help but marvel sometimes at just how much I missed this kind of experience--Portal 2 takes on all the good of the original game, and makes it even that much better. A must buy, and a strong, well-deserved contender for Game of the Year! Expand
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    A week before the game was even released, I was spoiled to the ending. So that, immediately, messed with my ability to enjoy the game. But anyways, there were a few problems with Portal 2. I felt like the price was unjustified - but, well, that price was normal for Valve games, so I accepted it. When I played, however, the price became a clear mistake in my eyes. The campaign was no more than 6 hours long, and the Multiplayer was bogged down by Day 1 content that shouldn't have been cut from the game for the sake of packaging it, and trying to sell it as a separate item. This game got so much hype - with the potato collecting, to trying to power up by playing certain games. It just felt like a massive let down, as well as a massive spit in the face from Robin and Gabe. Remember when Robin said they weren't trying to "nickel-and-dime" their player base? I suppose the campaign was enjoyable. But as game about puzzles and portal, the Singleplayer has no real replayability. I can admire the cross-platform access, but once you beat the main game, the only thing left for you is a Multiplayer that's tainted by Valve's attempts at more money. Expand
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game.

8 hours of single player
    4 hours of co op
    stunning graphics
    many easter eggs to be found. funny as hell

if you say other wise go have some Deadly Nerotoxin already.
  14. Apr 21, 2011
    Despite all the build up buzz... this game is mediocre for a valve game, sure they've expanded on the original, but the campaign and co-op modes wont even last a day before completion...shame but to add insult to injury they chuck a tonne of DLCs for money on day of release.... all of which should have been bundled with it in the first instance... sorry paid DLCs need to be more than cosmetic and the game is waaaaaaay to short. Expand
  15. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is a great game for someone who has never played portal or just entering this genre of game. I could see you playing well over 10 hours for single player and a few less for co-op. If you are use to this genre or played Portal 1 than this game will disappoint you. I beat the game in just over 5 hours without trying to rush. The story was great and funny while it lasted and it tied up a bunch of holes in the original which made me feel like it was work it. As I have said if you have never played portal before than this will be a very enjoyable game full of humor, if not than little more than the story will entertain you.

Warning: This game feels slightly like it was designed for the Console in mind. There is plenty of loading screens almost after every level. I feel this game was not designed for the people who really wanted it and I am hoping that valve will redeem themselves soon.
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    This game was too short and there is really no value in justifying the $40-$50 price tag, especially if you watch the youtube videos on how to solve the puzzles. The game took me 1.5 hours to beat it and I got no value. I think Valve really needs to shut down youtube (maybe even goggle) because it really spoils the game and it also makes the strategy guides sold at game stores for $20 un-buyable. The graphics are also quite old, they're basically on par with HL2 and the source engine is so overused at this point. The first day DLC was also a disappointment because it was so expensive. I couldn't afford any of the items and even though it's all cosmetics like others have stated, I like looking good in game. Valve really seems like they're trying to leech off rich people who can afford these items and pss on people like me. So overall, I really didn't get value on my buy and I'm pretty sure you won't too. Best if you wait until it's free like Portal 1 was so you could buy it and get more value than I did. Expand
  17. Apr 22, 2011
    Great while it lasted, but 4 hours is not worth the money I paid, and I was in no hurry. Thankfully it never got too repetitive, but I think they could have made it a bit trickier. People will like the game because it will make them feel smart solving the puzzles, which is reflected in some overly positive reviews. One thing I did not like was the british voice which was very annoying to me. A cheaper price would make this almost an 8. Expand
  18. Apr 22, 2011
    It was always going to be hard to live up to the hype that surrounded the release of Portal 2, and I feel like the game fell slightly short. While the new puzzle mechanics such as the goo and light bridges were refreshing at first, they quickly became repetitive and formulaic. Blue goo again, where is the angled wall that I need to splatter with it this time? Light bridge again? Sigh, place portal at end of bridge and one behind me, walk onto it, then move second portal so I drop down to the bridge below me. Maybe it was a case of expecting too much, but I definitely found the puzzles in Portal 2 much easier than the original.
    Portal wasn't a long game, and while Portal 2 extends the single player to about 3x the length of the original, and adds co-op mode, I breezed through single player in a little under 6 hours. Given the four years since the original, I was expecting more.
    Stephen Merchant's voice acting was a love it or hate it kinda deal, and I personally found it a bit irritating. If you found yourself shedding a tear as you incinerated your companion cube in Portal 1, you'll probably enjoy the voice acting and writing. If not, there are a few funny moments but the script is a bit stale, with GlasOS becoming particularly formulaic.

Overall, a good game, not a great game. Don't expect too much and you'll enjoy it.
  19. Apr 23, 2011
    A beautifully crafted and unforgettable experience. Portal 2 is a masterpiece; you are plunged into an entirely engrossing world, with characters that engage you from the start. The level design, game mechanic, voice acting, animation and unique game-world are all perfectly polished to a blinding sheen. You'll be lucky to find characters that are anywhere near as interesting and well designed, or a setting as singularly unique and well crafted in any hollywood movie this year, let alone a game. The only way in which this game fails to meet expectations is that the puzzles never soar to the brain-crunchingly intricate design of Portal 1's end-game. Throughout the game we are introduced to a wide variety of mechanics that never quite come together in the complexity that one would hope.

Some mention should be made of the mob-mentality negative reviews you'll find here on metacritic. The ARG for this game promised an early launch if people downloaded some independent games on steam. They are all great games, so not only have people contributed to small indie developers success, but they have also received a bundle of excellent critically acclaimed games at a massive discount. And Portal 2 was released early. This was not enough for some people - they wanted Portal 2 even earlier, and their bitterness and rage has caused a wave of negativity on the user reviews, users citing Portal 2 as too short and boring. They clearly haven't played it. Portal 2, when played for speed and skipping as much content as possible could probably be completed in 6 hours. 8-10 is more probable, for a normal play-through, and we're not even counting the standalone co-op campaign here. No, these accusations are fueled by a combination of rage, idiocy and a lack of understanding that the steam play-timer is wildly inaccurate.

What are you doing reading user reviews anyway? Read the critic reviews for an untainted review-pool, and go play the game now!
  20. Apr 23, 2011
    Extremely entertaining game. It's fun from start to finish. The voice acting is as good as it gets, and it's laugh out loud funny. It's longer than the first game, but still not a really long game for just the single player. The puzzles are also not incredibly difficult. Some games are longer. Some games are harder. Yet you will have a tough time finding a game more enjoyable than Portal 2. Expand
  21. Apr 23, 2011
    I completed the single player mode and it has left me awed in amazement how I have really enjoyed the game so much. You think it's just Portal with more maps? No!! It's more than that ! Portal 2 has brought more refreshing puzzles and an amazing storyline with major twists. Valve really done it again!
  22. Apr 24, 2011
    Basically, this is a game that needs to be played to be believed. There will probably never be another like it, in terms of writing, style and voice acting. Ignore the haters, and their trivial points. Just play this game, because it's probably as close to perfection as the medium will ever get.
  23. Apr 25, 2011
    I've beaten the game 8 times since release and gone through most of the levels in Co-op, I signed up to give this game a 10 rating. Everyone who is upset over COSMETIC ITEMS needs to chill out, I could understand the rage if the co-op mode cost an extra $15 to play, or if something like that was implemented. Giving low scores because of DLC items meant for aesthetic purposes only is the dumbest, if not whiniest thing I have ever heard. The game was great, the writing was great, the puzzles were challenging even on my 2nd and 3rd time through the game. The dark humor amazed me to the point of laughing and the ending brought me almost to tears with joy as the Turrets started their singing to me. I loved every second of Portal 2, Pay NO attention to the negative reviews it's nothing more than butthurt manbabies whinging about cosmetic upgrades they cannot afford or trade for yet. THE ONLY THING YOU CHILDREN ARE UPSET ABOUT IS SKINS, HATS, AND FLAGS THAT DO NOTHING TO CHANGE THE GAMEPLAY OF CO-OP! 10/10 easily.
    I would give it a higher score if possible.
    A strong contender for "game of the year 2011 PC" for writing, gameplay, innovation, and everything else that makes a game GOTY.
  24. Jun 23, 2011
    The new mechanics introduced in Portal 2 really give it a new angle on puzzles, where sometimes you nearly facepalm after figuring out how simple the puzzle you've been staring at for half an hour really are. Character development of supporting cast is well done, The humor is still there despite the lack of a good meme (near as I can tell). I have not yet done the multiplayer (holding that so a buddy can get achievement) but this is one of the most entertaining games I've played in a long time. The notable downside is the low replay value, unless you space it out long enough to forget all the solutions and forget the humor. I'd still say this game is totally worth buying, low replay value is the only reason I'm scoring it below a 10. Expand
  25. Dec 2, 2011
    Portal 2 is a game that allows you to solve puzzles by defying the laws of physics using your 'portal gun'. This gun allows you to create a portal on one side of the map and instantenously teleport you to the other end of the map. You can also send objects through the portal that are often necessary to solve the intricate puzzles. It is not necessary to play Portal 1 before playing Portal 2 but it is highly recommended to better understand the storyline. Sounds, voice-acting, game-play and overall presentation are, as usual with Valve, top notch. The graphics come across as slightly dated but the large bleak walls and cartoonish models make the world of Portal what it is. To complete the package, Valve has added a very good co-operative campaign that works like clockwork. Some players might consider it 'more of the same' but when the same was a heck of a lot of fun, you won't mind more of that. Must-play for any FPS player. Expand
  26. Sep 13, 2011
    Some people get Portal. I don't. I don't find it entertaining. It gets boring really fast. Perhaps it's the amazing start - too amazing to fit the rest of the game.
  27. Sep 13, 2011
    Even though I absolutely loved the first Portal,Portal 2 is just plain overrated.It just "surprises" you over and over again.(Just like GlaDoS and her "surprises") Which,apparently,gets boring after a while.

Graphics are quite smooth as you'd expect from a Source engine game,music is great,storyline is good but not as good as the first one.It certainly doesn't deserve a 95 out of
    100,maybe 85-90 at max.

I enjoyed it,and the co-op mode is short but fun to play.Has low re-playablity value though.
  28. Jan 6, 2012
    How can this be game of the year in so many peoples eyes. Its too similar to the first game.
    The first game was decent as it was original and I managed to get it for free.
    Overall this is just disappointing.
  29. Feb 29, 2012
    I must say I'm a bit surprised by how high the Portal games are generally rated. Portal 2 was more fun than the original, but it still only took me about 8 hours to play through the entire game, and that's with me exploring around a bit and not really hurrying. Despite 8 hours being very short for a game, it felt like a very long 8 hours (and not in a good way). Much like the original Portal, things simply get very repetitive, very quickly. Despite some fun dialogue and interesting levels, for the most part, there just isn't a whole lot of depth to the Portal series. It's just a bunch of fairly simple logic puzzles, running around to complete those puzzles, and witty dialogue. That's ok for what it is, but it's not something that I fell in love with. Expand
  30. Apr 21, 2011
    some people are complaining about Portal's transformation into half life episode 3. this game rocks. its a good portal game. it has superb mind blowing puzzles. narration is incredible. Glados' passive-aggressive dialogues are super funny! Go buy it, work on puzzles achievements when you are done with the game find a friend and play multi-player. and get over with it. ITS A VALVE GAME. VALVE ROCKS! Expand
  31. Apr 30, 2011
    Portal 2 is an improvement upon the first in every way. Funnier, better graphics, and the puzzles require greater thought to pass, especially when they add gel to the mix. It loses 1 point because I bought the PC version, and I'd have to buy another copy in order for my girlfriend to play co-op with me.
  32. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is an absolutely fantastic game. Amazing level design, I have been going round and stood still many times just to marvel at the beauty of the levels. The level design really makes me feel immersed in the game and gives me the experience I was looking for, really giving the feeling of being in an immense underground complex.

The puzzles don't feel as challenging as the previous
    title, I only got stuck twice because I either couldn't see where to go next, or took a little longer to work out how to use the new features.

People are complaining about day one DLC and saying it is inexcusable, day one DLC is inexcusable ... WHEN it adds something to the main game/ story. Day one DLC that is just cosmetic for the co-op and does not add anything to the experience what so ever at all ... is fine. If you're not happy about the DLC, vote with your wallet and don't buy it, it adds nothing, you're not missing out!

Portal 2, game of the year (so far).
  33. Apr 25, 2011
    this is a review of portal 2. portal 2 is amazing, it is a very very very very very good game and the only thing i want to do is to give this game 10 points because there are many strange people out there that are rating the game down and portal 2 is much better than 8.2. i don't understand people hating this title.
  34. Jul 16, 2011
    Definitely not worth the $50 that Valve's been selling it for. Glad I got it during its half-off sale. For the amount of gameplay you get (8 hours for me) and the overall quality of the game, $30 is a more reasonable price. But that's if they didn't then shake you down for co-op robot customization DLC. As others have pointed out, the polish of this game is phenomenal; the models, textures, environments, and animations are all top-notch work and quite believable. The puzzles are generally very good and I liked all the new mechanics that were added. I wish there were a few more puzzles with the gels plus some of the more traditional mechanics, though. The part that bums me out the most about Portal 2 is the story. It's very convoluted and gets rather stale towards the end. Unlike the first Portal, the story breaks into what I think is the main draw of the game, the puzzles, too much. Expand
  35. Apr 23, 2011
    This game deserves a 10 on the strength of the multiplayer component alone... I've honestly never had as much fun with a random person... I was literally whooping for joy on completion of some of the tougher puzzles.

That being said, the single player campaign is absolutely perfect. A perfect gaming experience. It deserves an 11 to be honest... anyways I just finished it and I'm still
    soaking it in... All i have to say is... Great job valve. Greatest game company in the world. Expand
  36. Apr 21, 2011
    If you enjoyed Portal, you will enjoy Portal 2. It's funny, creative, and different. What else can you ask for in a game? I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they whine about "level design" and "art design" being bad. Also, I'm about 4 hours in right now and not near the end, and that's not counting co-op. And for what it's worth, game length isn't everything. You WILL play this more than once. If you've been wondering about it, but were dissuaded by these whiny brats on here, worry no more! Just get the game. You will like it. Expand
  37. Apr 21, 2011
    A fun puzzle filled game with some of the best dialog I have ever heard in any medium to date. Great gameplay, interesting challenges, beautiful environments. If you are looking for a great game to make you laugh one minute and pull your hair out the next, look no further.
  38. Apr 22, 2011
    This game left me stunned. Its brilliant, in so many aspects, and the fact that i haven't even touched the co-op mode yet for sure makes this the so far best game of the year. Its rear with games that are so good that i give them a ten. Only one game last year, but what i know for sure is as soon as i finished a game its obvious if its a ten or not. This was no exception. Valve have done it again... Expand
  39. cmd
    May 17, 2011
    Good looking, fun and interesting story with cool twitches makes this one of the more pleasant experience this year together with Crysis 2.

It's not far from being a 10 but drops down to 9 because of it's short single player that was a lot easier than in Portal 1 that required fast actioned portal shooting that their is none of in Portal 2.
  40. May 12, 2011
    Yes, they are right.. Nice graphics. Original ideas. Nice sound. Nice everything, just like how everyone are talking about it. It will make a great single player title. Yes, you've got it, a great single player title. But what about the multiplayer part, you may ask?
    Sorry, but the fact remains that the mutiplayer has 0 replay value. After I've gone through the multiplayer once with a
    friend, I've become somewhat a tour guide, guiding people through the multiplayer levels.
    And that's about it, there's really no point in playing the multiplayer again. Same levels, walking around doing the same stuff. Even if its with an other person, it will ge boring when the game is highly environmental based.
    Worse still, there are absolutely no storyline for the multiplayer. Its really just going through levels (and having the AI bombarding you with the same dialogue each time). Come to think of it, the single player mode has a lot more replay value than the multiplayer.

So, yea, the multiplayer is a failure because of the absence of replay value. Since the multiplayer is half of what the game is about, that will be a 0/5 for it. As for the single player, a 5/5 for valve standard, as always.
  41. Apr 23, 2011
    Great game - I enjoyed this far more than the original. I'd like to say that I enjoyed every moment of it however there were two or three times that I became a little frustrated with some of the puzzles (but that's probably just me). I enjoyed the last set of puzzles in the game more than the in between bits (making your way through the environment) however I still loved playing through this game and I can't wait to replay it again in a few months time when I've forgotten what to do again. Expand
  42. Apr 23, 2011
    Very much enjoyed this game. The writing is superb and the Source engine is still a viable option in this day and age of DX11 and all those bells and whistles.
    It may not be all that long compared to say, Mass Effect 2, but not many games these days are. I never particularly felt that it was short, I just enjoyed the game and it took me about 6 hours to play through the single player. For
    £25, that's a pretty good deal considering I'm yet to play the co-op. Expand
  43. Apr 23, 2011
    Pay no attention to anyone giving this game a bad score, they are the people who want to nit pick the small details. I enjoyed this game immensely. The dark humor, the underlying story that you had to piece together, the puzzles. I can't name a single thing i didn't like about portal 2.
  44. Apr 22, 2011
    It may take a couple hours to beat (around 7-8 for me), but converted into Valve time, this is equal to about 35-40 hour's worth of other high-rated games.
  45. Jun 24, 2011
    I have a few things to say and I will say them in a fashion trolls will understand.
    1: Not 3 hours u mad?
    If you played the game, you would discover its 8-10 hours at the minimum.
    2: DLC is optional u mad?
    Sure, there is a total, in the Robot Enrichment store, of $80 worth of DLC, but it is all optional, the only change to the gameplay experience you get, is a nice hat or a glow trail on
    your robot. And any DLC that actually is created to extend gameplay by VALVe, is free on steam, and about 2 dollars on consoles.
    3: Not a console port u mad?
    Firstly, a console port? Are you Fuc*ing kidding me? VALVe started making games for the PC. The only reason they started making games for consoles is because gamers shifted to consoles. If there were still the number of gamers on the PC as there were in 2002, people would know Fallouts 2 and 1 existed, that VALVe made Left 4 Dead, and that the internet is serious business.
    4: Too expensive u mad?
    first, all videogames these days start at 60 bucks. The last game I saw that released at something that wasn't $60 was Red Dead Redemption, which released at $90. So you are getting a good deal here.
    5: Bad voice acting u mad?
    Bad voice acting? Bad voice Acting?! This has the greatest voice acting I have heard in a recent videogame. Here, I will quote 4 games, then two portal quotes.
    1: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    "Ramirez, go take down that chopper!"
    2: Call of Duty: Black Ops: Zombies!
    "Dempsey: Kickin' ass and makin' messes!"
    3: Duke Nukem: Forever
    "I'm kickin' ass and chewin' bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum."
    4: Portal 2 quote number one:
    "Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I'm serious, that's what it says: A horrible person. We weren't even testing for that. Don't let that "horrible person" thing discourage you. It's just a data point. If it makes you feel any better, science has now validated your birth mother's decision to abandon you on a doorstep." -GLaDOS
    5: Portal 2 quote number 2:
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!" -Cave Johnson
    I believe I have just proven my point on voice acting.
    6: Lol bad level design u mad?
    Okay, first of all, at least you have room to move around in this game. In all the other games out today, your either on a flat stretch of land with enemies shooting at you from all sides, or your in a cramped corridor, with enemies shooting at you from all sides.
    7: Trololol shi*ty graphics u mad?
    Who cares if the graphics are aged? Thats the same thing as saying you would, right out of high school, living in a studio apartment, buy the 500,000 dollar brand new, 2012 model car, when it would be practical to buy the 2006 model, 15,000 dollar car. Thats the main reason new games are so expensive and take so long to release. There is alot of work put into the engine, but no work into everything else.
    Cave Johnson were done here.
  46. Zri
    Apr 23, 2011
    Not perfect, but pretty damned good. With sequels popping up left and right and usually missing the mark by a fair way, Portal 2 takes what was good in Portal and, well, keeps it good. The writing for the dialogue is spot on, the co-op is just fantastic, down to a snarky GladOS making comments at you waving at her cameras, and the portals are as good as ever.

But. In some cases the
    puzzles feel a bit too easy. In many cases it's too obvious where you should be placing portals, and one feeling that I consistently had while going through the single player game is that there was far too many surfaces that you couldn't attach a portal to, meaning that when you found one, you knew it was important. I felt that took a little away from the game.

That somewhat minor quibble aside, the game is just great.

I hope there will be more available for the co-op aspect of the game, as I think this is where the game really shines (user-generated or commercial, both would be good), and if they expect people to spend any money in their co-op bot decoration store, there better be a good reason to do it.
  47. Apr 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, I haven't tried the Co-Op mode yet but the single-player storyline is full of surprises and other things I've never expected before. This game is totally worth buying.
  48. Apr 27, 2011
    My opinion: Gameplay - 9/10 - I enjoyed this game much more then any other i have played in recent memory. Length - 7/10 - I got 6 - 7 hours worth out of the single player, taking my time to become engrossed. as well as 5 hours to complete the Co-op and a few hours listening to the developers commentary. Story - 10/10 - brilliant, everything i expected from a valve title and more.

Innovation 3/5 - not really anything that wasnt covered in Portal, except for the new gels.

Graphics - 3/5 - Many games with much more advanced graphics, but the source engine has dated extremely well.

Overall - 8/10 - A very fun and funny addition to the Portal franchise.
  49. May 20, 2011
    Greatly improved to the previous title. Better and more complex levels. Nice und improved story, funny dialogues and a lot of more ways to get through the levels. 9/10
  50. Apr 23, 2011
    The game is too short to warrant a 90+. 10 - hours. Games that got a 90+ BioShock - 96, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Half-Life 2 96, These are games are far longer, with more complex narratives. Think of BioShock, the art, the story, the characters , Batman - the graphics. I hope Valve improve their graphics engine it looks really dated and the surfaces look totally bland. Lets hope it's improved for final Half-Life episode. 85 (-5 graphics -8 length) Expand
  51. May 17, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good sequel to the first Portal. It offers a lot more content and a bit more cohesive story. You get plenty of witty dialog and jokes, which make up a good part of the game. The puzzles are mostly easy to figure out, and probably only a few at best will stump you a bit if you are truly "thinking in portals." The co-op game is completely separate from the single player and while it's a bit shorter than the sp game, the co-op is worth playing and equally enjoyable. If you enjoyed the first, definitely check out Portal 2, it's worth it. If you weren't impressed with the first one, this won't win you over. Also, Valve will be offering some free content for all platforms in the near future. Plays well on the PC and would definitely *not* consider it a "bad console port," as many like to say. Expand
  52. Apr 21, 2011
    This is a great game, and everything important has been said by the reviewers, this is more aimed at the people who complain about this games length or various other things that are completely un justified. For one, the game takes more than 5 hours if you completely immerse yourself in the game rather than charging levels and not caring about anything else, it took about 8-9 hours for me. Secondly why does anyone have a problem playing a 9 hour game which is all 100% quality, than a 40 hour game with 4 hours of quality because its so padded, or has you doing unnecessary things to make the game longer. People should seriously stfu about this. Co op has even more hours built in to it, and Valve is going to release more levels and content as well over time. Consider it an investment if you can't find it in yourself to pay for one of the most brilliant games of 2011. Comedy, game play, innovation and more. What else would you spend $50 on game wise? You can spend $100 on a "quality" re-skin of the CoD franchise I guess. Portal 2 is brilliant and well worth the money. Collapse
  53. Apr 22, 2011
    I'd like to give Portal 2 a 10, honestly I would, but as many have mentioned, it lacks a bit of the freshness of Portal. I was hoping for new mechanics, not just new ways to use existing mechanics. That being said, Portal 2 is an amazing game, filled with great puzzles, witty voice acting, and what is probably the best co-op play since SMB on the NES. The advent of Steam of the PS3 is a nice touch, and I'm personally excited to see where it goes from here. Expand
  54. Apr 21, 2011
    What i loved: The beginning The ending The voice acting and characters The humor The co-op feature The developer commentary feature The AVG What still needs some improvement: The puzzles were a little too easy and you don't really have that great feeling of accomplishment after solving a puzzle The texture resolution were a bit too low at times The game feels empty around the middle
    Needs more ways to **** up besides falling down or getting shot by sentries (eg. more enemies)
    Would like to see more than 2 people co-op in the future, maybe many teams competing against each other
    Guest passes for Portal 2, i know a few people who would like to try out just at least the co-op before buying the full game, we are not all millionaires Gabe (lol)

But overall, great game you guys made, definitely a worthy successor to Portal 1, would love if you would improve on the co-op/multiplayer feature though, i need a new game i can play with bros on a Friday night, besides l4d and killing floor, and this would be perfect if more than two people could play together.
  55. Apr 24, 2011
    Very good story, only good game. And this "loading screens" often and often - is this game can use RAM or is developed for calculators?
  56. Apr 25, 2011
    finished the single player the other day. loved it. had a great time. not as long as half life 1 or 2 but not horribly short considering i now have co-op to look forward to. even with just the single player this game was remarkable. story was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the voice acting. Steven Merchant was fun (watch "idiot abroad" btw, very funny). not every puzzle was a brain buster, but i did have to give up on a few and come back to them after a break before i finally figured them out. in the end this is a puzzle game for the masses, so if these arent hard enough for you wait a few months, the mods will be here soon. My biggest gripe is that i didn't realize until after i'd pre-ordered the game on steam, that the best value is the ps3 version. apparently if you buy for ps3, it installs steam, and then you have a cloud copy that can be played on ps3, pc or mac (you can save games across them-as well as play co-op with ppl on other platforms-not xbox though apparently). I don't know that i'll ever want to play on ps3, but i wouldn't have minded the option. maybe if i had someone over that wanted to play split screen. that kind of thing works better on a couch. but in the end i probably would've bought through steam anyway just to show valve in dollars that the pc gamers are still here.

I could care less about the hats. if people will pay for em, go head and sell em valve. just make sure you put the money into Ep3 or HL3 (whichever comes first, preferably sooner rather than later). now if LEVELS were available as DLC on day one, THAT would be something to complain about. And the haters are arguing themselves out of an argument. you cant hate the hats, and then complain that you have to pay for them. just don't buy them, you don't like them anyway! As for the graphical complaints, i agree its not the most impressive glossy finish ever, but it still looks great. I personally am still very much in love with the Source look. I don't know how much further they've technically pushed source past L4D2 but regardless the game world looks really good.

Bottom line, i really enjoyed the single player game, and i'm looking forward to enjoying the co-op starting tonight.

But i would like to say to those who are putting mountains of bad reviews out on recent pc games (or ports). I know you're frustrated (as am I) at the disrespect being paid to the pc gaming community by developers. but now it seems that the anger is blinding and no matter what a game looks like when it comes out, its getting inundated with mountains of "0" reviews for a game that even in the reviewers own description has redeeming qualities. If we are going to tell the developers that no matter what they do, we as a community will see their work as an appalling failure with absolutely no value, what is to keep them trying to satisfy us. All i ask is that we be honest with our criticism (and our praise). and hopefully we can continue to be a cohesive community that they continue to market to in a way that makes us happy. They already have less reason to continue to make great games for us because there's such a huge pool of console gamers that are easier to please. we shouldn't negate what little reason they have to work with us by failing to reward them for good work.

On that note, i wanted to give this game a 10, but since i know i have a chronic case of valve fanboi-itis i figured i should tone down my score to compensate for any possible misperception on my part. Plus i dont like to give 10's. In this I'm an optimist ever hoping for an even better game someday. And i wont give that game a 10 either (unless i see a mountain of unfair zeros that i want to counteract).
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic follow up to an already amazing game. Portal 2 ranks up there with Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex in terms of timelessness. Though the single player isn't the longest ever, the multilayer is an all new campaign that extends the story. Overall the game is just fine lengthwise, and every second is of amazing quality. No complaints at all.
  58. Apr 21, 2011
    This game had me laughing from start to finish. The puzzles were well conceived, the writing was brilliant, and the story kept me wanting more. It was reasonably priced, and the co-op adds a nice element to puzzle solving while trying to do it with a friend. There are some obvious trolls in the negative reviews complaining about the "cash shop". The fact of the matter is that it has absolutely no bearing on the game play whatsoever and is completely optional. I still cannot think of a good reason why allowing people to further add to a game that they purchased is a bad thing.... Expand
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    INTRODUCTION
    Portal 2 is a very good game which is in most ways better than its predecessor (Portal 1). Many people are complaining about the size of the game but i was playing from 9:00-4:00 (8 Hours) and i am just about near the end (i think).
    SINGLEPLAYER
    The Singleplayer portion of Valve's Portal 2 is reputable and is not as bad as some people think it is.
    The only bad thing is the
    propulsion, repulsion and convulsion gels are added in toooo late in the game and should have been added in earlier to make for longer gameplay. Other than that the story is very gratifying with good music and excellent voice acting from Cave Jhonson (J.K Simmons), Wheatley(Stephen Merchant) and GlaDos (Ellen Mclain). There are some good twists and turns and the art design and levels detail is admirable.
    The single player has about 8-9 chapters and is approximately 8 hours long.
    CO-OP
    I Played some of the coop yesterday online with someone i didnt know and it was fun. You quickly can get familiar with the controls of the ping tool and gesture tool.
    The character design is awesome with funny gestures like knocking the other players head off with your hand.
    The levels are a lot more complicated and have to be completed with a partner so it is actually coop unlike other games where you could just go it alone.
    There are some good features like the ping tool that lets you communicate without a mic e.g. go through that portal, place a portal there etc etc.
    The coop is excellent and is good with just anyone but brilliant with a friend.
    LOW SCORES
    Lots of people are giving portal 2 low ratings because they didnt understand and they were just bothered about all the money they spent on the stupid potato sack pack well you shouldnt have got it then it was gonna come out soon anyway NOOBS!!!!!
    There are also a lot of people complaining about DAY 1 DLC WTH There is no Day 1 dlc There is that robot enrichment thing which who cares you dont need to buy things to get stuff you can earn things in game. NOOBS!!!!
    And last of all Portal 2 may be a console port but who cares the graphics are admirable and the level design is amazing so who cares if it is a console port if it is nearly perfect NOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CONCLUSION
    Portal 2 is a hell of a game which is nearly perfect and could be one of the best puzzle games of all time.
    So to all you NOOBS who are complaining just dont buy the game if you hate it so much.!!!
  60. Apr 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is not the best game I've played in the last few years. And there are a number of small issues that I have with it. I'm not a huge fan of the ARG experience that led into it. However, a lot of the work went into this game really succeeded. Solid atmosphere. Great moments. Challenging at times. I have no regrets picking it up. Expand
  61. Apr 21, 2011
    It is finally the best game of the year - if we put all aspects of gameplay, etc. together. And maybe best game from Valve, my favourite developer. I give him 10 of 10. i am not interested in "Mann Co. store" in TF2, except community map creators stamp support - this is great way to say :"Hello, we are here and we very much appreciate your work". So if you dont want this, stuff dont buy it. It is a great way to financing future free DLCs or maybe another map creators like in TF2. I hope we get SDK soon and some cosmetic tweaks in menu would be great. Hint disabling, portal ghosting etc. After few updates will be perfect in all ways. Expand
  62. Jun 17, 2011
    If there is such thing as a perfect sequel, this is it. Truly unbelievable. That's all you need to know. I had to add more to fir the 150 character limit, so I'll just quote GLaDOS. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    Thought it was fun. Co-Op was really fun too. Haven't beat the game yet but really enjoying the game so far. :D

Only problem really was the "robot enrichment"... hats ruined TF2, hope hats don't ruin portal 2 :)
  64. Apr 22, 2011
    This game was fantastic. Don't listen to the whiners who expect the impossible out of a game. I agree with the Kotaku article--gamers are simply developing expectations that are unrealistically high. This game was incredibly fun, engaging, the co-op is perfect, I haven't seen one bug, and the story is engaging. What more do you want? The game is too quick, but it's not as good as Portal 1? This game is three times as long, and with co-op puzzles that aren't anywhere in the single player game. Grow. UP. Expand
  65. Apr 21, 2011
    Loving every second. Aperture labs has been recreated wonderfully, the character and stories surrounding the place have been incredibly well fleshed out and I'm still finding myself wandering around feeling really clever when i complete challenges or tasks in a way that I think is novel or smart but actually turns out to be what I was meant to do all along.
  66. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 was a worthy successor to the first portal. It was longer than the first but maintained the quality and humor of the original. The new puzzle pieces were interesting and fit in with the game. My only qualm is the lack of advanced chambers, but Coop, which is also a blast, makes up for that.
  67. Apr 21, 2011
    The BEST ending I've ever experienced in a video game. Great character development, and though the story lagged a little in the middle, I still loved it _to death_. About the 0 scores: haters gonna hate. DLC is completely cosmetic, it's not like it improves your experience at all. And it's not a 4-hour campaign, I finished it in 9.5 hours. Open Steam now and click 'Buy' if you haven't already. There's a good chance you won't regret it. ;-) Expand
  68. Apr 22, 2011
    The game is great from pretty much every point of view, and compared to the 1st Portal it has a much better length, especially if we include the co-op mode as well. The only problem is that despite it being longer than the 1st Portal it still left me wanting more.

Hopefully that will be compensated with user maps and DLC. Mean wile 9/10.
  69. Apr 24, 2011
    This one of the best games I've played in a very long time. Not only is it loads of fun, but it's interesting, funny and just a blast over all. I can't find one bad thing to say about this game other than it's very confusing at first but you get used to the entire portal system.
  70. Apr 20, 2011
    An amazing game from start to finish. This game isn't for everyone but; those who enjoyed the first game will love this one. The comedy, gameplay, just everything. It's all here. It took me about 9 hours for the single-player portion alone; and theres still Co-Op to it. Totally worth it
  71. Apr 20, 2011
    Totally polished, full of brilliant mechanics, perfectly paced, and featuring stellar writing, voice acting and Science! Not to mention a brilliant co-op campaign and an exclusive track from The National. What more do you need in a game? Sure it's not a 40 hour epic, but it's an 8-10 hour single player experience, because that's how long it runs, no matter what people say, plus a challenging and entertaining co-op mode and the certainty of user created maps in the future (this is the Source engine after all, people are going to mod in new levels), which makes it well worth the triple-A pricetag. As for the DLC, there *is* no DLC, at least not in the usual sense of the term. There's a shop where, if you are foolish enough, you can pay money for cosmetic additions to your co-op avatars, and if you feel that something like that would ruin the game for you, then I truly feel sorry for you because you will miss out on the fantastic experience this game has to offer. Ignore the whiners who are ticked off because they futilely bought the Potato Sack to get this game to come out on the weekend (they really shouldn't be complaining: the Sack was a fantastic deal on a bunch of great indie games) and judge the game on its true merits, which are top notch. Expand
  72. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 has got to be one of the best games i've ever played. I've beat the single player twice now (once with the commentary, which was more scarce than i hoped for but a great addition nonetheless) and plan on playing it again and again on into the future. As someone else said here, the script and atmosphere are so cool that its fun to reenter the world despite knowing the puzzle solutions. But the co-op, oh GOD, the co-op. Portal 2's co-op campaign is the MAIN EVENT. to all you people out there criticizing the game for being too short, or not worth 60 bucks, then you must not have a cool enough friend to play the co-op with. Seriously. it is 5 or 6 hours of the BEST GAMEPLAY ON THE PLANET. That brings the grand total of Portal 2's game time to 10-12 hours, and THAT is a lot of game in this day and age. I cannot say enough good things. Valve has outdone themselves with this game. The more I think about it, the more i like it. Expand
  73. Apr 20, 2011
    If I had to summarize in a few words Portal 2 would be "masterpiece, " "splendid, " "brilliant ". And yet, there are so many other superlatives that could describe us as VALVe here proves his genius once again. In its mechanisms of gameplay as its level design and writing, Portal 2 is simply brilliant, intelligent and incredibly funny, as in his solo in his campaign co-op campaign.

Logically THE game of the year to own and even the decade.
  74. Apr 20, 2011
    The top selling point of Portal 2 is the atmosphere, which far surpasses that of the first game. Absolutely amazing. Very nice graphics, delightful tasks to solve, nice new game-play mechanics and an epic underground complex to explore. Nicely played, Valve.
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a seminal piece of gaming. The most solid story-driven and all importantly fun gaming experience that you will have had in a while i'm willing to bet. The twists and turns in the single player mode's story coupled with the game's truly ingenious level design. It has an almost unbelievably well balanced difficulty which initially leaves you saying, "Well, i'm totally stumped" only to be followed (after thinking things through in your head) by a sudden realisation, followed by a rewarding and triumphant execution. Also, the Co-op mode is an absolute joy! Played with a close friend, partner or relative, the game becomes so much more of an intimate experience, not to mention the absolute INSANITY of the puzzles that are born out of 4 portals being utilised. All this AND Valve are bringing out an end-user development kit shortly after release, so the fun is not likely to end any time soon! All in all, this is a game you *need* to play. It's an experience you won't soon forget. I can't recommend it enough!!! Expand
  76. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is awesome. If you liked Portal, even a little, get this. Even if you didn't like Portal, it is worthwhile. It is hilarious, fun, tough but not too tough that you won't play. And multiplayer is a total blast. So much fun figuring out the puzzles while sabotaging your friend at the same time. Sure, the in game purchases are annoying, but that doesn't impact gameplay, and I just pretend it isn't there. Best game of the year so far. Expand
  77. Apr 20, 2011
    This has been the most enjoyable game I think I have ever played. The comedy throughout is perfect and had me laughing from the first moment ("when you hear the buzzer, please stare at the painting.") to literally the last second of the single player game. The voice acting was masterfully done, and ever witty comment made by Wheatley, GLaDOS, and Cave Johnson was perfectly timed. The puzzles started out similar to the ones in the first Portal, but gradually grew more unique and larger in size. They included a zoom feature which is very helpful because sometimes you end up placing a portal so far away that you can barely see it otherwise. The learning curve is gradual. The new mechanics added to the game were genius; they brought so much to the puzzles, and they had to be used multiple ways as well, making you have to think outside the box. This game does a good job of pulling you into the world of Aperture Science is all its grandeur.

I have very few qualms with the game, but they are apparent. there are points in the game which seem to drag on. most of the time the pace is good, where new mechanics are added in each puzzle, but there are a few places where there's really no story happening and there's nothing new, just frustrating moments sitting in an enormous room trying to figure out how in the world you are going to get to the next test. There was one area where I literally looked around for about 30 minutes trying different things, and it was all because I could not find the one tiny area the game wanted me to put a portal. While most of the time you feel like you are trying to solve a puzzle, there are a few times where it feels like you are trying to figure out what the level designer was trying to get you to do. A few of the test chambers (and areas in between) have such an odd solution, and you've tried something very similar, just to fall a few steps short. Then you reload, thinking you didn't jump right, so you try again and fail. Unless you put the portals in exactly the right place and do exactly what the level designers wanted you to do, you can't pass.

With all that being said, I still think it is one of the best games I have ever played.

As far as the co-op goes, I was only able to experience a few of the final tests, and I joined up with someone who only had about 5 tests to go. I'm sure the beginning of the co-op test are easier and there's a decent learning curve, but where I started was fairly difficult. That being said, I felt it was more fun than the single player game. The puzzles forced you to work together, use each other's portals, and make sure each other gets to the end of the test. It doesn't count if you get there and leave your buddy behind. With all the frustration it brought, it definitely makes you think even more outside the box. The only qualm I had about the co-op was the ending. It seemed very simple and non-climactic. Other than that, I think that the co-op is going to be very fun to play through over and over. I also really like how the robots' creation and existence is given in the single-player game.

Many people are upset about what they call a DLC. I wouldn't call it that. You can pay for cosmetic appearance for your bots when playing co-op, but that's it. You actually even earn the costume parts as you play the co-op as well, so you don't even need to spend money to look different, you just have to play through the co-op.

I would normally rate this a 9, but there are so many trolls reviewing this game that I feel like I need to give it a 10 to balance them out. So, my real score: 9/10.
  78. Apr 19, 2011
    Witty writing, an environment that is both consistent with the original yet interesting and new. It's a sequel, so it won't be the same unexpected revelatory experience of the first game. Instead, it delivers exactly what a fan of the first game could expect, and in greater quantities, and in a more polished package. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    Brilliant game.
    Starts off brilliantly, continues on brilliantly, and ends brilliantly. Lots of thing you will laugh at and remember for ages.
    The Co-op is great too, especially when something goes wrong or you miss judge something and see your partner go splat into a wall you miss judged.
    Yes the game may not be the longest in history, but come on, if you ever played Portal1 (and you
    should) then you must be an idiot* for expected this to be a 20+ hour epic.

*Idiot is a very weak term, should be much stronger really.
  80. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is an awesome game. Everything it did good in the first one it does even better here.
    some people complain that its short ( 5 hrs ), and rate it down for that. But a game that is so fking good that you wish it was longer. thats something good?;) And after that 5 hrs you even have another 5 hrs of co-op ! A Perfect Game. 10/10
  81. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of those rare games that makes its predecessor completely obsolete. There are more puzzles, more characters, better graphics and sound, more variables in the puzzles, and a surprising story that went above and beyond my expectations. Unfortunately, once youâ
  82. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is a great game that i enjoyed all the way through. I thought the length was decent, all though i would have liked it too have been longer simply because i enjoyed it so much. The story line was good as well. My main problem with the game is that there isn't any replay value. There are no extra test rooms for finishing the game. there are no levels of hardness for the test rooms. Once you have finished, that is it. As good as the game was the lack of replay value is disappointing and i would have given it a larger score if their had been some extra game play choices (and not just DLC). Expand
  83. Apr 20, 2011
    This game was nothing short of amazing. Worth every penny and every hour of waiting. Not only has Valve outdone themselves with amazingly smooth animation and amazing map design, they have also put in both challenging and simple maps to appeal to both types of players. After completion of the amazingly written single player campaign, I was nothing short of stunned. Luckily I wasn't stunned enough to miss the request from a good buddy to play some of the Co-op levels! The Co-op is also amazing, Valve really did an excellent job of breathing life into the two slabs of metal (Atlas and P-body) and helping them portray proper emotions. All in all I give this game a 10/10, though if possible I would give it a 100/10. (P.S: to xbox players crying about how PS3 users got a free PC copy and you didn't, that's because Microsoft didn't want the steam platform on their device, while sony accepted it with open arms.) (P.P.S: Seriously? You guys are letting an in game store and item system affect your rating? You'll only be playing with your friends. No "Trading servers" or anything. You also are not forced to buy ANYTHING at all.) Expand
  84. Apr 20, 2011
    Anyone giving this game anything less than an 8 is a troll, or was extremely confused about the early release project. The mentioning of minigames have nothing to do with the actual game play of Portal 2. I have had nothing but extreme satisfaction with my play through so far, and look forward to moving on to co-op.
  85. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great sequel for Portal. Nice graphics, good story, and awesome gameplay. The new test chambers are challenging and fun at the same time. Its definitely worth it's price.
  86. Apr 20, 2011
    The singleplayer in Portal 2 was like its predecessor, a very well written story, hilarious moments, and tricky test chambers. The environment has changed a bit, and new features has been added to the chambers, for example lasers. If you're decent at solving the puzzles, you'll complete the game in a matter of hours. What I personally have not tried is the co-op mode, but from what I take it enriches the game even more. I only detected a few minor glitches, mostly graphical, but that was a rarity. I believe Portal 2 is one of the most polished games I've tried this year. I recommend buying it, especially if you have played Portal 1. I'm giving it a 10 out of 10 for the story, gameplay, graphics, music and sound. Expand
  87. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm one of those people that absolutely zombie out in front of the television and computer, almost emotionless despite what I'm watching or playing. The funniest sitcoms and stand up shows, the most intense sequences and I may have changed my expression once. I jumped into Portal two and I was laughing out loud in the first 5 minutes. I have never had a better time playing a game, I laughed, was (legitimately) afraid, and cried on the elevator ride to the surface. (absolutely the most intense thing Valve has ever done)

Those who want to argue that it was too short, or the DLC is a scam: What ever happened to quality of entertainment? I was more entertained in the first hour of this game than the many hours I put into playing Mass Effect (2) (even though thats comparing potatos to lemons.) No replay value? There's plenty of hidden content throughout the game that will most likely have gone undiscovered during the first playthrough, achievements and developer commentary had me scrambling back into it only an hour after I beat it the first time. Unless you're a hardcore puzzle-solver genius the game will take you at least 6 hours the first time, with developer commentary and hidden areas it will probably take a bit longer than that your second time. (even if you already know how to solve the puzzles) THEN there's the co-op mode which I have yet to play but people claim its at least another 5 hours. As for the DLC, its completely cosmetic. If you don't want to pay for silly hats or gestures then don't. If you disagree with this then hold it against VALVE not the game itself.
  88. Apr 20, 2011
    I havn't completed the game yet as i only had chance to have a quick play last night (about 2 hours worth) and i have to say it's already brilliant. Stephen Merchant and GlaDos make amazing comedy and obviously the portal gameplay is as good and better than the first. Am still yet to try multiplayer but from what I've played so far it's definitly a 10/10 game.
  89. Apr 20, 2011
    Loved it.
    They kept the humor and style of Portal but created a more plot centric game that doesn't fail to give you a great experience. It's a 6-7 hour game that is thoroughly enjoyable.
    The loading screens break the flow a little but that is my only complaint. Well worth $50 (especially in Australia)
  90. Apr 20, 2011
    I can confidently say that this is the best portal game to date... seriously.
    Having just finished the single-player (~6 hours, found hardly any hidden easter eggs), I can say there is the right mix of just about everything in this game. Humour, story, visuals, puzzles, difficulty, length... all just right. I can't wait to start the co-op.
    And for those whingeing few: the "day 1 DLC"
    consists of a bunch of useless skins and whatnot for your co-op character. This game ships complete. Any "DLC" is completely unnecessary and thus you must rely on your self-restraint to not buy anything. Just like the potato sack. No one forced you to buy it. Personally, I had already bought the potato sack, before the portal 2 ARG started. They are a bunch of awesome indie games and I was more happy to shell out the $38 (which is only $2.90 per game for chrissake!). If you are unhappy with the results of the ARG, you have no-one to blame but yourself. In other words, suck it up. Expand
  91. Apr 20, 2011
    A great game, definitely one of Valve's best yet. It takes a perfect, short experimental game and makes it into a full game, which may not be as perfect but has much bigger scope. Also, this is NOT a console port. Console ports do not have quicksave, developer console and advanced graphics options (see Crysis 2).
  92. Apr 24, 2011
    If you're someone who measures a game's worth primarily by it's playtime, Portal 2 may be a bit disappointing to you. However, this is typically not how most media (film, music, books, etc.) is judged - you won't find the New York Times scoring an excellent film lower just because it has a shorter run time than another potentially not-as-good film, and ticket prices are almost never factored into film reviews (except for the case of 3D, which is another story.) I think we can all agree that movies as well as video games are overpriced, regardless of how good they are.

So, ignoring all other factors, I feel that Portal 2 is easily one of the best games on the market today, and an experience no gamer (or person, for that matter,) should miss. Every bit of this game, from start to finish, is polished, well thought out, surprising in it's plot and ever changing gameplay, and, simply put, fun and entertaining. I personally felt that, for a game such as this, the length was perfect - the game took what Portal 1 did and expanded upon all elements in such a way that somehow makes the first, once thought of a revolutionary, now seem primitive.

When you get right down to it, I'd much rather pay $50 for a slightly shorter but much higher quality product, than for a game that is lesser in quality but much longer due to repetitive gameplay. I guess it's up to you.
  93. Apr 20, 2011
    All this hate over the ARG, DLC, it being a supposed "console port", and other non-issues is ridiculous. I'm not sure where all this vitriol comes from and to merely blame "trolls" seems to simple an out (and the default counter argument on the internet).

Portal 2 does surpass the original in terms of gameplay, story, and future expandable potential. Is the price of $50 ($45 for the
    pre-order) justified by the content? Compared to other forms of media (and even other video games) I think it does. Consider: you spend $15 to see a 2 hour movie, which, arguably, probably doesn't tell a story nearly as well as Portal 2 does; the math works out in the favor of Portal 2. Or lets say that you could beat Portal 2 in 4 hours (NOTE: If you beat this in 4 hours, you probably weren't playing for the experience anyway), I think "4 hours" of an amazing game is better than 8 - 12 hours of a mediocre bore.

When it comes to Portal 2, the professional critics have it exactly right and the "fans" have it wrong. To not play this game based upon some vague anger is myopic at best because that means you'll miss out on arguably the greatest gaming experience of this year (if not ever).
  94. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game. Just as the first was slick and well scripted, this has added layers to the game that you pass through with surprise and gratitude. Loading points are a little frequent to begin but make a great change over point between friends. The store feature is pointless, but with the sales figures they get I'm sure they won't repeat it. So 12 -2 =10
  95. Apr 20, 2011
    There is only one word to describe this game...AMAZING! Ignore all of the bad things people have been saying about this game. You shouldn't write a review about what comes with the game you should write the review based on the game play alone. With that being said this game is an absolute blast to play and all of the in game voice acting is hilarious!
  96. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is pretty much a decent sequel.The length of the game is short but with the co-op mode i can enjoy for a few month.To be honest,i don't give a **** if you trolls like "ValveSucks" who dedicate his life to trolling valve.I can bet you trolls cant even make a game better then portal 2.
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    The audacity of the people who posted 0 score reviews and claimed that the game is four hours long is simply flabbergasting. I joined simply to refute the idiocy that is the claim that this game isn't everything any sane person expected and more. Valve stated that the game was approximately twice as long in both co-op and single player modes, and that is absolutely accurate. Steam has recorded my time spent playing Portal 2 at 18 hours, during which I beat the single player and multiplayer, and went back through the beginning of the single player since I rushed my way through and wanted to hear the optional comments by Stephen Merchant as Wheatley. The claims that the writing is shallow and predictable seem like they must have come from someone playing a different game. Even knowing the lines that were about to be uttered on my second run through the first hour or so of the game I couldn't help but literally laugh out loud. I stayed up until the game released and played for about eight hours, before I needed to get some sleep. I probably put another two in the morning to complete the game, although admittedly I did get stuck on what turned out to be relatively simple puzzles once I got to the Repulsion Gel phase of testing. A lot of people seem to have gotten bent out of shape because of the Valve ARG, and while I'll admit that I had hoped for Portal 2 to come about earlier than it did, Valve's being excellent viral marketers certainly benefited the developers of a number of indie titles. I myself put a great many hours logged in (and even some playing) to the potato pack games that I owned to try to help the cause. However, anyone who bought these games purely because they wanted to play Portal 2 sooner and not because they were a collection of enjoyable indie titles clearly makes poor choices. The people who contributed a lot to the Valve ARG got to play Portal early, and some of them were even given the Valve complete pack. Valve never told anyone anything that was less than truthful about the ARG. And while I do feel it a bit odd to have been trolled by a company that's known to be one of the more trustworthy in the industry it's hardly the tragic knife in the back some people are making it out to be. There is potato related humor in Portal 2, and while I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, to me it made up for the feelings of annoyance I felt at the ARG having been, more or less, a waste of time. But apparently a number of people have decided come around and blatantly lie about Portal 2 as some sort of retribution for feeling slighted is laughable at best. I have very little doubt that the trolls flaming Portal 2 by and large haven't even purchased the title.

Some few people may not appreciate the writing, or gameplay, of Portal 2. Those people, clearly, must not have enjoyed Portal because they're undeniably quite similar in those aspects. While the new gameplay elements do require a bit of thought, and perhaps make certain areas of the game slightly more frustrating until you have the epiphany required to pass the stages, there's nothing akin to the ridiculous timing based momentum puzzles near the end of Portal. There's nothing quite like the payoff when you realize what you were overlooking, whether it's a button or application of one of the new gameplay elements that hadn't crossed your mind. While I can certainly understand that not everyone finds puzzle games to be enjoyable, I don't really grasp why these people seem to have flocked to Portal 2 in droves.

A lot of people are whining and crying that they can't fist pump or facepalm or whatever, or that they can't make use of some of the more ridiculous costume pieces without purchasing "85 dollars of DLC" (which can be purchased in it's entirety for 35 dollars if anyone were of a mind to do such a thing) These skins and items are almost certainly unlockable, although I can only speak toward having unlocked the companion cube beanie and flag through achievements. There are 16 achievements I haven't unlocked, and it's quite likely a number of them have bot gear associated with them. The "DLC" isn't really even content, it's the equivalent of the Mann-Co store in Team Fortress 2. The interesting thing to note there, is Valve hasn't maintained any sort of monopoly on the hats and such available through the Mann-Co store, third party designers have made tens of thousands of dollars selling their own creations, and I doubt Valve has any intention of keeping people from offering their own goods in the Bot Enhancement Center.

I just want to close by saying, I haven't laughed so hard or enjoyed a game more in a long time. Portal 2 is going to take up more of my time before I've gotten it out of my system, and there will certainly be map packs released by fans that till pull me back in much as the Portal Flash version map pack, and Gamma Energy did for Portal.
  98. Apr 20, 2011
    The first Portal was but a taste of things to come, with Valve have succeeding in developing a game better than the original again! I haven't finished the Co-Op yet but from the singleplayer alone I'd rate this game as the best of the year so far. The script is the funniest I've ever heard in a video game to date, I cant recommend this game enough. And I cant thank Sony enough for allowing me to play with some of my Playstation 3 buds. Brilliant from start to finish. Expand
  99. Apr 20, 2011
    I love Portal and Portal 2 is even better. I canâ
  100. Apr 20, 2011
    10 out of 10, all of the complaints I've seen are ridiculous! This was honestly better than I thought it would be. So many of the complaints are about these other games that you had the option of buying, which I didn't, and things like long load times, which I also didn't have... don't blame Valve that you couldn't be bothered buying a functional computer..
  101. Apr 21, 2011