8.8

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Well, since I wasn't one of the people that bought the potato sack (which has some very decent indie games in it, also you supported the indie community, thanks for that!) I'm not automatically going to give this a 0. The game isn't short compared to today's standards, I've played a good 10 hours so far, which is the same as any other big release game on the market now, so stop whining.Well, since I wasn't one of the people that bought the potato sack (which has some very decent indie games in it, also you supported the indie community, thanks for that!) I'm not automatically going to give this a 0. The game isn't short compared to today's standards, I've played a good 10 hours so far, which is the same as any other big release game on the market now, so stop whining. I'd rather pay $40 for a well polished, fun Valve game that I know is going to be great instead of wasting $80 on a disappointing game that I thought would have been good.

The only downside of the game I can see so far is that Co Op won't be as repayable as I'd like it. Also, who cares about DLC, don't buy it but don't come onto metacritic and whine about it.

It's a Valve game, you can expect only quality, buy the game and make your own mind up! Don't come to sites like these that have Youtube style voting systems where anyone can give anything an unjustified 0 or 10 to make up your mind.

Pros

- An awesome addition to the Portal franchise, an outstanding game for what it is... A PUZZLE GAME.
    - A FULL game, 8 - 12 hours.
    - Co-op is fun and ORIGINAL.
    - Hilarious dialogue. A good story.
    - Great music, it suits the scene of the game.
    - The graphics are amazing, especially with the crumbling environments.
    - It links in with Half-Life.
    - It's a quality, polished Valve game.
    -Worth more playthroughs; achievements, secrets or just for fun.

Cons
    - Co-op Reply Value is fairly low. - ...um hmm.. There's nothing else I can think of that's wrong with the game at the moment.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Great development of story, amazing finale. Awesome soundtrack! Some of the best voice acting I've ever heard in a game. Ridiculously good animations, it's a huge success!
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Very, VERY good game. I played Portal 1 twice this past weekend in anticipation of Portal 2 and I feel that it absolutely delivered. Takes a bit of time at the beginning to train new players and refresh those who played Portal 1, the game then introduces new mechanics and consistently delivers them in interesting ways throughout the game.

Single-player took me a total of six and a half

Single-player took me a total of six and a half hours to complete, and I have not finished co-op yet. The controversial "launch DLC" is nothing more than skins and such for the robots you play in co-op - purchase if you desire, but if you do not purchase you are missing out on nothing.

Great game, would give it a 10/10 but I feel single-player is a bit on the short side. If Valve releases additional single-player content for free (ie. advanced test chambers like Portal 1), this game will then be a 10/10 to me.
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore the haters. They will always look at the glass is 1/10 empty. This game is solid and more than a cosmetic face lift take it from a game developer. The amount of work put into this is phenomenal, pure polish, had me laughing all the way, could not believe the attention to detail, there are some minor issues, but nothing to get in a spin about. I wish I had their resources, but inIgnore the haters. They will always look at the glass is 1/10 empty. This game is solid and more than a cosmetic face lift take it from a game developer. The amount of work put into this is phenomenal, pure polish, had me laughing all the way, could not believe the attention to detail, there are some minor issues, but nothing to get in a spin about. I wish I had their resources, but in Australia thatâ Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    This game doesn't get a 10 for its gameplay. The new tricks alone merit about an 8. The game earns a 10 for me because its writing is just as good as the original's, perhaps better. The story's fun, the characters are hilarious, and Portal 2 is the best time I've had gaming in years.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    It's pretty awesome. My only complaint is that the price is high for how short it is, but.. it surpassed Portal 1 and became my new favorite game. I would have paid more.
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    The greatest game I have ever played. It is worth my money, it is not 4 hours long (unless you are ultra smart)
    this is my all around favorite game. I am just reviewing singleplayer but, playing singleplayer was the most satisfying gaming experience I have ever played.
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    I gave Portal 2 for the PC a perfect score because I really cannot find anything wrong with it, and I sincerely feel that it is just THAT good. Portal 2 maintains the elements of game-play that made the original Portal such a great game; but at the same time it adds a new "feel" to the game that definitely out does its predecessor. The addition of other elements being incorporated intoI gave Portal 2 for the PC a perfect score because I really cannot find anything wrong with it, and I sincerely feel that it is just THAT good. Portal 2 maintains the elements of game-play that made the original Portal such a great game; but at the same time it adds a new "feel" to the game that definitely out does its predecessor. The addition of other elements being incorporated into the puzzles (ex. the different goos) definitely gives the game a new flair that expands the style its puzzles. The single player campaign took me about 6-7 hours to complete, and the entire time I never wanted to stop. The game really expands though when you get into the co-op modes. I believe that there are about 86? puzzles that you can do with a partner, and I would highly suggest playing with a friend, or someone you know. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    This game far surpasses the first portal and is the most fun I have had from a video game in a long time. While everyone else is churning out repetitive realistic war shooters Valve is innovating and bringing genuine fun back to PC gaming. The DLC complaints are unwarranted. The DLC is in no way a necessary part of the game(just cosmetic addons and gestures for multiplayer) and so far isThis game far surpasses the first portal and is the most fun I have had from a video game in a long time. While everyone else is churning out repetitive realistic war shooters Valve is innovating and bringing genuine fun back to PC gaming. The DLC complaints are unwarranted. The DLC is in no way a necessary part of the game(just cosmetic addons and gestures for multiplayer) and so far is 100% unlockable. Expand
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    I was actually shocked when I read some of the bad reviews on here. It would appear that they are the kind of people who think Call of Duty is the example of a good game. Fantastic story, singleplayer campaign, the updated source engine looks brilliant, like a good book, I simply could not put this game down. I managed to complete it by literally not stepping out of my office until I hadI was actually shocked when I read some of the bad reviews on here. It would appear that they are the kind of people who think Call of Duty is the example of a good game. Fantastic story, singleplayer campaign, the updated source engine looks brilliant, like a good book, I simply could not put this game down. I managed to complete it by literally not stepping out of my office until I had completed it. I managed to complete SP + Co-op with a friend in about 12 hours. 10am - 10pm. My only "complaint" is that the ending didn't really provide the satisfaction I was looking for. Yet the experience throughout was fantastic.

If you're not into first person action puzzle games, don't buy this. Unless you're in it just for the fantastic story and characters.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    Can't say I've finished the game yet so maybe I shouldn't post here, but I don't care. Everything I've experienced within the first few hours simply astounds me - as a gamer this is the type of game I long for, deep, involving and innovating. Portal 2 may only build up on the original, however, it does it in such a way as to be judged an outright masterpiece - the original Portal nowCan't say I've finished the game yet so maybe I shouldn't post here, but I don't care. Everything I've experienced within the first few hours simply astounds me - as a gamer this is the type of game I long for, deep, involving and innovating. Portal 2 may only build up on the original, however, it does it in such a way as to be judged an outright masterpiece - the original Portal now merely seems like a 'warm-up gig'.

Put it this way - you can tell the devs at Valve had fun making this game, and their hard work and effort truely shows.

There are some comments on here about consolification - ignore them. The ARG may not have been to everybody's taste, but this is Valve and they do things differently. They set an example to the many other PC devs out there who have sold out to the console crowds, the example being that if you truely support your fans - you will be rewarded.

Thank you Valve.
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    People need to get over themselves. This is an amazing game. Well worth the money. Not everybody is as smart as you and can beat the game in 4-5 hours. Some people actually like to listen to the dialogue and look around for secret rooms and other things like that. There are secret rooms, you know? All I'm saying is the people complaining about the price or complaining that it's too short,People need to get over themselves. This is an amazing game. Well worth the money. Not everybody is as smart as you and can beat the game in 4-5 hours. Some people actually like to listen to the dialogue and look around for secret rooms and other things like that. There are secret rooms, you know? All I'm saying is the people complaining about the price or complaining that it's too short, GET OVER YOURSELVES! If you truly believe you can make a better game, then do it! Expand
  13. Apr 23, 2011
    one of the best games of the year so far. This has the best senses of humor i'v seen in a video game. One last think BUY THIS GAME its on steam so pick it up.
  14. Apr 24, 2011
    I am honestly rather ashamed to be a part of the PC gaming community right now. For a long time, I was proud of how PC gamers acted towards others. We, with some exceptions obviously, were a cordial lot, and **** was at a minimum. But looking at what has happened with Metacritic User scores of Portal Two has really brought the bile up in me. It's merely a bunch of little children actingI am honestly rather ashamed to be a part of the PC gaming community right now. For a long time, I was proud of how PC gamers acted towards others. We, with some exceptions obviously, were a cordial lot, and **** was at a minimum. But looking at what has happened with Metacritic User scores of Portal Two has really brought the bile up in me. It's merely a bunch of little children acting like even littler children, holding their breath until they get a lollipop.

4 hours? If this game took you four hours you cheated, or you rushed through or ignored dialogue (which was the funniest dialogue I have ever heard in a game, I might add). The game takes 7 hours at the least. It took me longer. I explored everything, and took my time soaking in the wonderful world Valve has created. And even this 7 hours is merely the single-player game. The co-op game has an entirely different storyline, and although I haven't had the chance to play it yet, I'm sure it's up to the same standard that the single-player is.

Secondly; Day one DLC? Ha! If you call those purely cosmetic additions to the co-op game DLC, then you really are griping. Sure, in the strictest sense of the word, it is downloadable content. But so are the hats in TF2. Now, I think they are way over-priced to be honest, but they are entirely optional, and don't change how the game plays at all. Also, some of them get unlocked with achievements, so you can get them for free.

Thirdly; The ARG. Sure, it only ended up being released a few hours before the actual release date, and that did annoy me to some extent. But it was, again, optional, and I had a good time participating in it, and I played some games I might never have that I am now a major fan of, such as Defense Grid. I also think that Valve MAY have overestimated the amount of people that would play the ARG. I myself was surprised at how few did. I think Valve had probably meant to release it a day early, over maybe even earlier than that, but unfortunately, not enough people participated. This is something that will be addressed when Valve issue a full statement about the ARG I'm sure.

Lastly; a console port? Really? Grow the hell up people? One tiny little oversight by Valve on the saving screen and everyone starts screaming bloody murder. If you think this was a port by just that, then you're either just trolling, or are truly a moron. My rig is in dire dire need of being upgraded, but Portal Two worked wonderfully on it, and managed to stay remarkably pretty on it at the same time. A misplaced word does not a console port make.
    Overall, a fantastic game, with the newest build of the Source engine, that while still being clumsy in some regards, has held up remarkably well. The dialogue is funny where it should be, and poignant and moving where it should be, and throws in a few curve balls as well. I can't remember the last time I was so happy just sitting back and taking in the dialogue of other characters. I couldn't help but laugh out loud on numerous occasions, which is something that only rarely happens to me in games. Valve managed to expand the core concepts of the game, and add in a few new ones, all without the dreaded Sequel Bloat that seems to plague games these days. This game will go down in the hall of fame, trust me on that.
  15. Apr 24, 2011
    Simply one of the most fun and entertaining games in a long time. It's full of humor and plot twists. Playing co-op with a good friend is even better than single player.
  16. Apr 24, 2011
    If you are reading these reviews and are unaware, several popular forums started campaigns to lower the average score by giving zeros. No reason or logic behind the negativity, just to sh*t on something popular. Here are a few things Portal 2 is not:

1) Portal 2 is not a 4 hour game, a 2 hour game, a 15 minute game or any other exaggeration that has been thrown out there in the zero score reviews. The length of the game is going to vary depending on your skill level and whether you do much exploring around or looking for Easter eggs (there are a couple of good ones to be found), but the single player lasted me 8 hours, getting stuck on two puzzles briefly. It also has a lengthy co-op campaign that is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT, they don't recycle the SP levels. 2) It is not a "console port". I bought the game on PS3 to play split screen co-op with my girlfriend, but I played the PC version that came with it for single player. I have a modest PC but am able to play at near max settings and it looks and plays brilliantly. After seeing and playing both, the PC version is the best version of the game, hands down.

3) It is not a Day 1 DLC filled monstrosity that nickels and dimes you to death to play through any part of the game. The only DLC in the game is meaningless cosmetic items like hats for co-op. The co-op campaign is set up in a way that I expect there to be extra levels added, and given Valves track record in Team Fortress 2 and Left4Dead, I expect that DLC to be free. This seems to be the balance they have reached, TF2 updates have been plentiful and free, while hats make them money. Others can disagree with me on this, but if cosmetic crap = $$$ and maps/levels = free, I'm thrilled by that.

4) Portal 2 is NOT a zero score game. A score of 0 should be reserved for the very worst of the worst garbage out there, probably games that are broken and unplayable. I respect the opinion of anyone who has written a reasonable low score review, some people simply didn't enjoy the game as much and that's fine, but the people who have written zero score reviews filled with nonsense or lies are just idiots. The campaign to lower the score of the game for no logical reason really shows off the worst of the internet, nerds with too much time on their hands and a false sense of empowerment from tearing down things other people enjoy. Pros: Exceptional writing and voice acting, genuinely funny and engaging. Expands the world of Portal and back story dramatically in funny and interesting ways. Same great portal gameplay expanded by tons of new elements that never feel out of place or too difficult to use with the portals. One of my favorite, most insane, funny, and unique endings to a game ever. If you enjoyed Portal or puzzle games in general, you'll love this game.
    Cons: Personally, my only gripe is the load screens. The source engine has always had a lot of load points, but this game uses a full screen load screen that kind of takes you out of the flow of the game momentarily.
  17. Apr 24, 2011
    Pretty awesome game, very nice dialogue with good humour, fun game play that builds on the first, perfect campaign time (Just cuts as I get bored at the 7 hour mark) and an actual a co-op campaign that some games that fits perfectly. Would have gave it 9/10, but all the morons saying its a 3 hour DLC ridden pile forced me to bump it up to 10 for the overall score.
  18. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good game. I don't care about DLC, so I won't mention it after here. It makes no difference to me, anyway. The 'story' is funny (it's not a proper story, but more of a story stub:- not that that necessarily detracts from the game!); and the new additions to the puzzle mechanics are clever, and well thought out. However, it's too easy. And therefore, too short. I get thePortal 2 is a good game. I don't care about DLC, so I won't mention it after here. It makes no difference to me, anyway. The 'story' is funny (it's not a proper story, but more of a story stub:- not that that necessarily detracts from the game!); and the new additions to the puzzle mechanics are clever, and well thought out. However, it's too easy. And therefore, too short. I get the impression that Valve may have dumbed the game down to appeal to a wider audience. This isn't vain bluster; I am sure that I lie in the average completion time for the game. But at 5 to 6 hours, that's not enough for a game of this price. Granted, the co-op adds another 3 or 4, but for a game that has, by its nature, no replay value, that is not enough to justify the price tag.

Portal 1 was great because it was cheap, unique, and brilliantly challenging. Of course the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rings true here, but I personally feel that Valve could've employed a little extra time in padding out the game's length, because I didn't want to finish this within 48 hours of installing it.

I also feel that the critic score here is too high, for the same reason. The score of 96 puts this game 2% higher than Mass Effect 2; and that (in my opinion) is just not right.
  19. Apr 24, 2011
    This is IMO the best game valve has made so far. It has incredible detail and varied level design, really fleshing out the history and characters of aperture science. Add to that new mechanics, greatly improved graphics (and graphic design) an interesting soundtrack and nice little easter eggs throughout you have a strong contender for single player experience of the year. The voiceThis is IMO the best game valve has made so far. It has incredible detail and varied level design, really fleshing out the history and characters of aperture science. Add to that new mechanics, greatly improved graphics (and graphic design) an interesting soundtrack and nice little easter eggs throughout you have a strong contender for single player experience of the year. The voice acting is freaking amazing as well.

This is all before you even get to the co op (where playing for a friend makes up for not having the banter that your enemies/allies provide in sp). Which are more challenging and very fun with a friend. I await the patches valve will bring to this (for the simple reason that for the microtransaction store to work people will have to keep playing the co-op, or perhaps a revived challenge mode). I have to add that's speculation (but informed speculation given the ~ 4 year support valve gave to tf2 its other big multiplayer release with an in game store .

All in all, best game so far this year, depending what BF3 and elderscrolls bring to the table its a strong contender for GOTY. Do not miss this! Its a prime example of what our industry is capable of.

(current play time sp ~ 6-7 a few more if you go back for achieves, co-op was around the same length, maybe a little longer, definitely enough bang for your buck, very original charming, will make you laugh and care and even think a little bit.
  20. Apr 24, 2011
    Very fun game, visually amazing, and great characters. Easily Valve's best game yet, and instantly one of my all time favorites. 7 hour singleplayer and 5 hour coop. Anyone complaining about it being short is expecting an RPG or something. As for the DLC--it's microtransactions, not DLC. DLC would imply new content, not skins. Since it's just coop with a friend it really doesn't matter ifVery fun game, visually amazing, and great characters. Easily Valve's best game yet, and instantly one of my all time favorites. 7 hour singleplayer and 5 hour coop. Anyone complaining about it being short is expecting an RPG or something. As for the DLC--it's microtransactions, not DLC. DLC would imply new content, not skins. Since it's just coop with a friend it really doesn't matter if one of you is wearing a hat, and if it bothers you that much--just don't buy one. Simple as that. Stop whining, it's an amazing game. Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2011
    THIS GAME IS NOTHING SHORT OF A MAGNIFICENT SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENT. GlaDOS would be proud. And believe me, you don't know GlaDOS until you've finished Portal 2. If you loved the original Portal, you're going to fall wildly in love with the sequel!! I wish I could give this 6 stars. This game is so rich and detailed that it is better than most Hollywood movies, let alone most videogames.THIS GAME IS NOTHING SHORT OF A MAGNIFICENT SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENT. GlaDOS would be proud. And believe me, you don't know GlaDOS until you've finished Portal 2. If you loved the original Portal, you're going to fall wildly in love with the sequel!! I wish I could give this 6 stars. This game is so rich and detailed that it is better than most Hollywood movies, let alone most videogames. I'll give you 2 words why this new Portal is so much better than the original: CAVE JOHNSON. One of the many new characters, Cave Johnson is the founder of Aperture Science... and he is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS. But even better, Cave Johnson provides one of those crucial things that is missing from 99.9% of all videogames today: A STORY. A REAL, TRUE, HONEST-TO-GOODNESS BACK STORY. Oh sure, with Portal 2, you've got puzzles to solve, but you've also got an AMAZINGLY RICH BACKSTORY that satisfies and delights and humors you every step of the way. You will find yourself exploring & listening & laughing to the backstory of Aperture Science for just as long of a time as you spend solving puzzles!! And what could possibly be better than symbolically TRAVELING BACK IN TIME to solve the puzzles that Aperture Science put out in the 1950's and 1970's?! SO MUCH FUN!! SO HILARIOUS!! SO REWARDING!! It really is a testament to the geniuses at Valve Software that they SMARTLY KEPT EVERYTHING that was so perfect about the first game, and -- to prevent you from getting bored with the same ol', same ol' -- they improved upon it in every way humanly possible!! New types of objects to interact with keep the game fresh & exciting: objects like laser redirection cubes, propulsion gel, repulsion gel, and cute weighted cubes from the 1950's. If you thought you had fun flying through the air with momentum in the original Portal, wait until you start bouncing all over walls with repulsion gel, sliding down hallways with propulsion gel, and creating your own portal surfaces with conversion gel! Talk about FUN!! Adding gels to Portal was a simply magnificent idea, without making the gameplay mechanics any more difficult! I'd also like to take a minute to comment on the GORGEOUS ART DESIGN and the MESMERIZING MUSIC SOUNDTRACK throughout the entire game. It must have taken an entire team of genius artists & visionaries years to come up with the hundreds of gorgeously-rendered locations and perfect mood music that carry you through the entire game. If there is a downside to Portal 2, it is that the puzzles are shorter & easier to solve this time around. I felt like the puzzles were closer to a beginner's level this time around, and I wish they were slightly more challenging. (However, this may be because I was trained so well by the original Portal.) But what the puzzles lack in challenge is more than made up for in sheer fun, an amazing cast of characters, hilarious laugh-out-loud comedy, a wonderfully rich & deep plot, and the amazing Cave Johnson/Caroline backstory. So all of that taken together is really what makes Portal 2 shine beyond my wildest imagination. You will feel COMPLETELY SATISFIED INSIDE YOUR SOUL when you play and finish this game, because the game RICHLY REWARDS YOU for diving into this entire world. Outside of the original Portal, I can't think of ANY game I've played in the last 10 or 15 years that was as PURE FUN and RICHLY SATISFYING as Portal 2. NOTE: If you haven't played the first Portal, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you purchase & play the ORIGINAL PORTAL FIRST! If you don't play the original Portal, you're not going to understand much of the storyline in this Portal. Plus, you may be totally confused with the early puzzles in Portal 2, because they don't spend a lot of time retraining you on old skills. Don't gip yourself out of this experience by skipping over the first Portal. And, of course, the original Portal is a worldwide classic, so why WOULDN'T you want to play the original Portal first anyways? REGARDING THE PRICE OF PORTAL 2: There are some nincompoops here complaining that the game is too expensive. I personally found it a great value for my money. There are other people here complaining about the high cost of DLC (downloadable content)... this make no sense at all, because you don't NEED to purchase ANY DLC AT ALL to finish this game. The DLC is only for the most hardcore nerdiest of nerds, who need to dress up their robots in multiplayer mode with extra add-ons that are completely unnecessary. If you're THAT MUCH into this game and yet you're complaining about the price of the unnecessary/optional add-ons, then maybe you should get off your couch and look into getting a job so you can afford to dress up your robot? IN SUMMARY: This game is FANTASTIC. Kudos to the developers for not ruining what was a good thing to begin with, and for simply expanding upon the same winning formula!! I hope they create a Portal 3!!! Oh boy, do I hope they create a Portal 3. Expand
  22. Apr 24, 2011
    Totally epic game. No idea where all the negative reviews are coming from. It's most likely from people who got the original Portal free as an add-on. They want everything handed to them. Portal 2 is an expansive game unlike its short predecessor. While I agree that i wish it was longer, I can't take away points for that. To do so wouldn't be logical. The story was great. The plot its selfTotally epic game. No idea where all the negative reviews are coming from. It's most likely from people who got the original Portal free as an add-on. They want everything handed to them. Portal 2 is an expansive game unlike its short predecessor. While I agree that i wish it was longer, I can't take away points for that. To do so wouldn't be logical. The story was great. The plot its self stayed true and was a nice continuation of the story in the original Portal. The characters were great as well. GLaDoS still has her "love to hate"(or "hate to love") personality intact with a bit of a twist. I love the direction they took. Skill curve applies to all type of gamers not just egotistical "pros" which is a plus for the novice gamer. The co-op is brilliant however short.(DLC please or possibly some free courses . I'm lookin at you Valve. You can capitalize here) I was able to play thru the entire co-op with someone who didnt even speak english thanks to the reticule system Valve has in place. Well done there. All in all, I cant find a reason to subtract even a full point from this masterpiece. My only complaint is that I want more.

I would love to see some more advanced chambers (hopefully valve has alot of DLC planned because I for one will buy any and all new content for this great game) Some free co-op courses would be a great addition. Take a note from the Super Meat Boy team on this one Valve. Also once the editor as out if co-op courses can be built and browsed in game, it would be excellent.

Great job Portal 2 team. You have released the GOTY. If for some reason you dont get it it will be GOTY to me and to many others im sure.
  23. gio
    Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is amazing. Almost perfect in fact. The puzzles are challenging but not too difficult that you won't figure them out and they are immensely satisfying to solve. The voice acting is top-notch, the environments superb and the new gameplay elements fit in perfectly with the ones introduced in Portal 1. The story is decent too, and keeps you enthusiastic to get you through the gamePortal 2 is amazing. Almost perfect in fact. The puzzles are challenging but not too difficult that you won't figure them out and they are immensely satisfying to solve. The voice acting is top-notch, the environments superb and the new gameplay elements fit in perfectly with the ones introduced in Portal 1. The story is decent too, and keeps you enthusiastic to get you through the game the whole time. So why did I not give it a 10? Well, Portal 2 comes close to being perfect but here are the negatives:

- It is essentially the same story as Portal 1. Without giving anything away, the story, right down to the final boss battle isn't too different from the first game..

- There are some new gameplay elements (paint) which are great, but it basically features similar puzzles to the first game. In that sense, it is less original so it necessarily can't be the kind of breakthrough game the first Portal was.

- While it is 2 to 3 times longer than the first game, it is still a short game and is much higher priced than the first portal. You can tell the money was well spent, though, the environments are more much detailed this time around. Still, there is actually less content as there are no challenge modes or levels. These will be probably be added in the future as paid DLC and big minus points for that. You can easily finish the game in the weekend and after that, there isn't anything more to do. - The ending lacked the awesomeness of the first game. Perhaps it is too much to expect another video game ending song as great as "Still Alive", though.

- It was almost too easy. There was no level that was truly difficult. I hope this will change when challenge level DLC is made available.
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    Did you like Portal 1? This game takes everything great about Portal 1 and improves upon all of them. This is a must play game for any Portal fan. I can't recommend this game enough.
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    Every single one of you that is rating this game low based on COSMETIC DLC, a game JUST AS ALONG as it's predecessor, and over the ARG/Indie Potato Hunt, are a pathetic lot of tasteless losers. I strongly believe your disturbed and warped views of entitlement have made you forget who made this game and what this game is. Not only have the game play and visual elements to the originalEvery single one of you that is rating this game low based on COSMETIC DLC, a game JUST AS ALONG as it's predecessor, and over the ARG/Indie Potato Hunt, are a pathetic lot of tasteless losers. I strongly believe your disturbed and warped views of entitlement have made you forget who made this game and what this game is. Not only have the game play and visual elements to the original Portal been pushed and developed, but the same element of humor has carried through. The game is just as long as Portal 1, to say nothing of the coop, or the future puzzles that Valve will release. If you don't want to buy cute hats that do nothing but look cute, guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO. This is no different from any other company, Valve just ensures that it won't affect your game performance. Instead, those of you who like to play TF2 and play dressup should be ecstatic over this.

Do you guys misunderstand the entire point of the ARG potato hunt? This allowed a number of indie developers to get huge numbers of people to play their games who otherwise wouldn't have. Valve could have handled it better, but a number of fantastic studios were able to get good publicity that they didn't have to pay for. Further, you did get Portal 2 early, even if it wasn't as soon as you would have liked. I would be curious how many of you complaining actually contributed at all, much less enough to warrant your diaper wetting over it.

In the end, every single one of you whining, crying, and coming unglued over this, are a sad pathetic individual who is doing yourself, others, and the industry a huge disservice. I would bet money that the majority of you didn't participate in the ARG, didn't buy Portal 1 until you could get it dirt cheap or free, and did not even PLAY Portal 2 before you wrote your garbage complaints. Hat's off to you scrubs of the net. I hope that Valve and every other game company leaves you to rot.
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game, a good 5-7 hours of Single Player playtime not including the Co-op maps, GFX/Sound and design are top notch, another triumph for Valve
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    First of all, I would like to point out that the game is, in fact, NOT four hours long. The single player alone will likely take you over five hours, and that leaves the co-op mode to add much more gameplay. Some of the negative reviews on this site are not directly tied to the game, (the ARG was frustrating for some players and the DLC is not required) so I would advise you to try yourFirst of all, I would like to point out that the game is, in fact, NOT four hours long. The single player alone will likely take you over five hours, and that leaves the co-op mode to add much more gameplay. Some of the negative reviews on this site are not directly tied to the game, (the ARG was frustrating for some players and the DLC is not required) so I would advise you to try your best to avoid letting those reviews get you down.
    As for the actual game itself, Portal 2 was a rather enjoyable experience when it lasted. The dialogue was memorable and the puzzles were clever. Trace amounts of frustration were triggered in some puzzles when it seemed like you just needed to find a tiny spot you could put a portal on, but those moments ended up not being so bad. The gels were not outstandingly memorable but added something new to the game. I would probably actually give this game an 8 or 9, but seeing how so many people are criticizing it I'll put a 10 to try to average out the rating.
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    Complaints about DLC are retarded. The "DLC" in this is entirely cosmetic. It has no impact on gameplay at all. Go read that again. It's stuff to customize how your player looks in co-op mode, and that's it. No levels. No items. No nothing of consequence. If you want a pink player in co-op, then you can go buy it. If not, forget about it and go play the game. This is not a problem.

I'm

I'm deducting 1 point because the game isn't terribly long and doesn't have a lot of replay value, but it's a damn fun game while it lasts and I totally feel like I got my monies worth.
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    This is a great game, took me 8-9 hours or so to finish. plus coop campaign adds more hours on to that and is pretty fun. perfect sequel to the original portal exactly what I wanted. Playing the game again with commentary on is interesting and sometimes funny adding more replay to it. I thought the puzzles were good, the humor in the game was also great. As for the DLC it's all cosmeticThis is a great game, took me 8-9 hours or so to finish. plus coop campaign adds more hours on to that and is pretty fun. perfect sequel to the original portal exactly what I wanted. Playing the game again with commentary on is interesting and sometimes funny adding more replay to it. I thought the puzzles were good, the humor in the game was also great. As for the DLC it's all cosmetic and optional and I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not buying it, it's fine that it's there since it's OPTIONAL. Amazing how people don't seem to understand that concept. Expand
  30. Zif
    Apr 19, 2011
    This game is great! An initial play through of both campaigns may only take about 10 hours sure, but it's fun the whole way through. There are many new features, and you can replay levels to get better times etc, or do things in different ways. Also I expect mods not to far away which should extend the playtime greatly. I don't care that it has paid DLC, it's all optional junkThis game is great! An initial play through of both campaigns may only take about 10 hours sure, but it's fun the whole way through. There are many new features, and you can replay levels to get better times etc, or do things in different ways. Also I expect mods not to far away which should extend the playtime greatly. I don't care that it has paid DLC, it's all optional junk equivalent to TF hats, it has no effect on how fun the game is. Expand
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    There is a reason metacritic should stop putting out user reviews.. there seems to be a trend for generally moronic low scores by trolls pushing a games score down from what should easily be a high score to a low score.. sort it out. Portal 2 is a classic. ok one player is a bit short but find a mate and co op is a blast. OH no i was charged full price for this game.. really.. u think.There is a reason metacritic should stop putting out user reviews.. there seems to be a trend for generally moronic low scores by trolls pushing a games score down from what should easily be a high score to a low score.. sort it out. Portal 2 is a classic. ok one player is a bit short but find a mate and co op is a blast. OH no i was charged full price for this game.. really.. u think. get a job and stop whining! 26 quid for something as fun. hell i bet u lot bang twice that much cash up your nose of a weekend to get so damn twitchy about stuff as u apperently are. Anyway consider this the last user review on meta i read.. bunch of tossers Expand
  32. Apr 22, 2011
    1) If you liked Portal, you will LOVE portal 2

2) Story: there is one! characters are great and hilarious and there are some golden moments but it's not exactly a driving force in the game and leaves a few questions unanswered 3) graphics: Any computer with a graphics card can run it which is nice but it definitely lacks a hardcore graphical punch. Everywhere looks the same and uses the
    1) If you liked Portal, you will LOVE portal 2

3) graphics: Any computer with a graphics card can run it which is nice but it definitely lacks a hardcore graphical punch. Everywhere looks the same and uses the same recycled colors

4) Humor: it's not only golden but it's omnipresent. Cave Johnson's lemon speech is absolutely unforgettable

5) length: My friend and I both took about 15 hours total to beat both the singleplayer and co op campaigns. To those who beat it in 4 hours, you didn't have any fun because you used a guide book to beat a game who's only satisfaction is solving the damn puzzles and if you looped all the audio in the character's jokes in the game together it would probably run longer than 4 hours so good job not having any fun and **** about it as if you'll get your money back

6) Game: puzzle complexity is far greater and far more satisfying to solve with addition of so many extra mechanics, but because the game introduces them all to you before beating your brain to a pulp with them, it's slow starting.

7) replayability? lol. none

What makes Portal 2 worth? 15 hours worth of cracked ribs as a result of laughter and some of the best puzzle solving experience you'll get in digital form. Just make sure you have a co op buddy and a mic before playing this game, playing co op with a stranger or someone whose already beaten will kill the satisfaction from puzzle solving and not having a mic just leads to frustration. If you have all this and a yearn for puzzle solving and good humor, Portal 2 is for you. The only thing it lacks is replayability.
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    This is one of the finest games valve has ever made. The negative reviews are useless, they're not complaining on the game itself, rather the dlc in the start, which for me went pretty darn fast. I just finished the story-mode and im impressed. Valve has put several new and different ways for this game to get ever so much engaging as the first one. You will not get screwed over for buyingThis is one of the finest games valve has ever made. The negative reviews are useless, they're not complaining on the game itself, rather the dlc in the start, which for me went pretty darn fast. I just finished the story-mode and im impressed. Valve has put several new and different ways for this game to get ever so much engaging as the first one. You will not get screwed over for buying this game. This is a hands down 10 from my part. Expand
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    There is some obvious hate spam going on in here, so ignore any review under a 5. Just completed the game, and its amazing from start to finish and I haven't even touched the co-op yet. Do yourself a favor, ignore the haters and pick up this awesome game.
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a remarkably awesome game. It simply has that great feel the entire time. However, like a good song, it has to end eventually. The game is so fun and fast-paced that suddenly, you're done the 4-8 hours of single-player gameplay. I personally believe that this is too short for a game, but man, was it the best 7 hours of gaming i had in a while. In other games, usually thePortal 2 is a remarkably awesome game. It simply has that great feel the entire time. However, like a good song, it has to end eventually. The game is so fun and fast-paced that suddenly, you're done the 4-8 hours of single-player gameplay. I personally believe that this is too short for a game, but man, was it the best 7 hours of gaming i had in a while. In other games, usually the multiplayer mode adds replay value, but the Co-op simulations also has it's short limits. Great game, but not worth $55.Hopefully they'll continually add new content... but that usually requires extra money. Expand
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    Singleplayer took 6 hours for me, multiplayer 4 hours. This is less than what most critics played before finishing it, but I wanted to play through it all quickly because it was so good. Amazing visuals, amazing new puzzle elements and incredibly beautiful, atmospheric levels. Very amusing characters and the most genius ending I have ever seen in a game.

I really recommend this game if

I really recommend this game if you think the money is worth at least 10 hours of gameplay. Knowing Valve, more levels will probably come for free (PC) in the future. Plus, if you haven't played Portal 1, you get it for free when buying it on Steam. It's a great game, and I recommend that you play it before playing Portal 2 (it will only take 3-4 hours).
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    An awesome game, puts the puzzle genre in a whole new light with innovation and creativity
    anyone who likes to solve puzzles will be astounded with the complexity
    don't know if you will like it or not? buy the original(or the orange box) if you haven't already!
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    It's hard to find words that could fully describe what this game really is. Playing Portal 2 is close to dreaming, some sort of synesthetic experience. This is something You must feel.
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    If there's ever been a debate as to whether storytelling in games can rival that of a good movie or engrossing book, it's over. Portal Two is, to put it simply, on par with any movie ever made. Whilst playing you can't help but feel the care that has gone into this game, it's got more polish than the Mr Sheen factory. From start to finish the game oozes classy dialogue, helped along byIf there's ever been a debate as to whether storytelling in games can rival that of a good movie or engrossing book, it's over. Portal Two is, to put it simply, on par with any movie ever made. Whilst playing you can't help but feel the care that has gone into this game, it's got more polish than the Mr Sheen factory. From start to finish the game oozes classy dialogue, helped along by sublime voice acting from a notable cast such as J.k Simmons (Cave Johnson), Stephen Merchant (Wheatley), and the returning Ellen Mclain (Glados). With so much talent at hand you might think it difficult for valve to keep the balance in check but they have managed incredibly. No one character outshines any other and all three get their moments in the spotlight, showcasing Erik Wolfpaw and Chet Faliszek's hilarious script. The gameplay itsself begins similarly to the first but soon takes some exciting twists as many new tricks are introduced and some brilliant new setplays are thrown at the player. One of the main criticisms with the prequel was samey level design and monotone colours; this has been righted, and how! Some of the views to be found in Portal 2 are breathtaking and the updated source engine never fails to do the game justice. Length-wise the singleplayer campaign is much, much longer than the original (took me about 6 hours, whereas I can do the original in 35 minutes). Having just completed the game let me tell you I feel very much that I got my monies worth and I haven't even started the co-op yet. To be honest I feel perhaps I should have waited to write this review as I'm still stunned from the ending and feel pretty speechless. I must say, however, that the naysayers bringing the overall user score down are simply either trolling or haven't got the game. This game is near perfect. I say near because I've finished it and the only downside I can see is that the game had an end at all, such was the amount of fun I had beating the tests. This is simply a must buy for anybody who owns a PC, PS3 or Xbox 360. It's funny, charming, shocking, scary at times, and the ending is downright insane. I could continue but I'm exhausting my list of superlatives. Valve have struck gold again, this is simply genius. Best game ever. Expand
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    This game far and wide surpasses the first one in many ways. The puzzles are quite a bit harder with out being too hard for new comers to play, and yet again valve pulls it off. There are about 6-7 new additional unique mechanics aside from portals that have been added to make this game more challenging and thought provoking. And the game its self clocks in at about 3 times the size ofThis game far and wide surpasses the first one in many ways. The puzzles are quite a bit harder with out being too hard for new comers to play, and yet again valve pulls it off. There are about 6-7 new additional unique mechanics aside from portals that have been added to make this game more challenging and thought provoking. And the game its self clocks in at about 3 times the size of the first one, with fully interactive cut-scenes show-casing an engine that has been in use for 7 years since the release of half-life 2 (This isn't a bad thing as it is absolutely breathtaking). It seems that the world its self is fully destructible with each component working in a real world physics engine that still sets the industry high for realism. The Voice work is extremely well done with each character having its own unique personality and while there may not be many different characters there is a lot of depth to the ones that are presented. Every single level has so much detail put into it that playing this game over again is not going to be a hard thing to want to do. As for the co-op campaign, i have yet to try it, but im sure it will be a great experience. I don't mind spending 45 of my hard earned dollars on this game because I know that valve will continue to bring me excellent games and because I know that valve will also release a level editor for this game that will allow people like me to create new levels that can range from the seemingly impossible to solve to the easiest of easy if i so want. As for the DLC that is not MANDATORY to enjoying the game. It reminds me of League of Legends or even Valve's other title, Team Fortress 2. None of the items in the store will make me better at this game, nor are they necessary to enjoying the game on a different level. Don't buy it if you don't want it. Overall this game is brilliant. Expand
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game. The single-player mode is incredibly challenging at times, with interesting new mechanics, humour that's had me laughing out loud in places and excellently written dialogue and story line. The attention to detail in the levels representing different eras in different stages of disrepair is astonishing, very immersive in that respect. The graphics are clean andThoroughly enjoyed this game. The single-player mode is incredibly challenging at times, with interesting new mechanics, humour that's had me laughing out loud in places and excellently written dialogue and story line. The attention to detail in the levels representing different eras in different stages of disrepair is astonishing, very immersive in that respect. The graphics are clean and the game runs very well (and looks great ) on an older system. If you are rushing like a mad thing, expect 4-5 hours of lonesome playtime (anyone claiming less than this is either cheating or simply full of kack). A more laid-back approach, paying attention to surroundings and dialogue will give 6-8 hours of an enjoyable gaming experience.

The Easter Eggs and Achievements hinting at other aspects of the Half Life/Portal universe are interesting and very well placed. Some are just off-the-wall nuts. In a good way. The co-op mode is excellent, as one would expect of the developer behind TF2 and the L4D series, and with a map-editor on release later this year, you can expect a decent replay-value in that sense.

A longer, better-presented take on the original in my opinion. I have no idea what the negative scorers have found so irksome, their points tend to be insipid and subjective without any apparent realisation that there are other aspects to a game than those they complain about. Now looking forward to seeing what's in store for the penultimate Half Life game
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    Wow. Just wow. This is easily THE BEST game i have ever played. The storyline was absolutely phenomenal and was the most original story I have ever seen. You just cannot predict this stuff. The puzzles were on the perfect borderline of difficulty by not being too easy and boring while at the same time not being frustratingly hard. The different environments and testing obstacles keep theWow. Just wow. This is easily THE BEST game i have ever played. The storyline was absolutely phenomenal and was the most original story I have ever seen. You just cannot predict this stuff. The puzzles were on the perfect borderline of difficulty by not being too easy and boring while at the same time not being frustratingly hard. The different environments and testing obstacles keep the fun coming. Portal was really more of an experiment then a game (a very successful one at that), but Portal 2 is the real deal. Expand
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply put the best experience I ever had in a game.
    The humor ist so tremendous I hardly laugh while playing but with Portal 2 I REALLY could not stop laugh out loud. The story is fantastic, lightning up every heart that cares about the aperture universe.
    Simply put the best experience I ever had in a game.
    And I don't really want to even talk about the game-play.... it makes a cover-based shooter with quick-time-event look like a tricycle trying to keep up with a rocket heading to a new planet.
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    I've always been a firm believer that games should last around 10 hours, unless their genre requires more. In many ways, Portal 2 didn't last 10 hours, but it wasn't as short as the first game. And you know what? Every minute of those hours was enjoyable.

Portal 2 expands in every way with a great presentation (thanks to a menu design that's similar to the more recent Team Fortress 2 menu), a whole range of new gameplay mechanics (Cubes that redirect laser, Light Bridges that you can expand with the use of puzzles, Gooey colors courtesy of an independent developer hired by Valve, and many others), and innocent yet very good gags. Coming from just playing Bulletstorm, it's nice to see gags like "Engaging Smooth Jazz in 3... 2... 1", which I believe can be enjoyed by everyone.

Are there any faults with this game (specifically the PC version)? Well, you can no longer change the FOV but, to be fair, I found I didn't need to do so. It looks just as good as any other Source game does. The game tries to sell you the idea of "customization", which basically is just buying clothing for your Cooperative Robot, but it's completely optional, there's no one forcing you to "participate in this scam" (This probably coming from the same gentlemen who buy pets in World of Warcraft). Finally, an issue I've seen too much is that there are now "loading screens" (a reminder of Left4Dead, if you ask me), but those who complain about those screens probably forgot that every Source game has had loading screens in some way, even the original Portal (what do you think happens when you take an elevator in the original Portal?)

In conclusion, Portal 2 manages to go steps beyond what the first game could do, with each chamber having a unique gag so you can laugh all you want, new gameplay mechanics which just feel fun, an impeccable presentation, and the best part? The requirements aren't that big. With the way the Source engine works, even my whiny little Laptop can play Portal 2, on the highest resolution (1337x763), and then some!

I recommend Portal 2 to anyone, believe me, it doesn't disappoint.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    This is an absolute splendid game from beginning to end. The Puzzles are paced most sublimely, and the "$90 DLC" my peers refer to is completely optional, and purely aesthetic. I highly reccomend
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    I know this isn't technically a review, but it does serve the purpose of helping the public decide whether or not certain critical user reviews are to be believed. Many people are complaining about having to pay for the potato sack to get the game early, but last time I checked, you got 13 indie games for 75% off! I think if you had bought any games from the sack with the sole intention ofI know this isn't technically a review, but it does serve the purpose of helping the public decide whether or not certain critical user reviews are to be believed. Many people are complaining about having to pay for the potato sack to get the game early, but last time I checked, you got 13 indie games for 75% off! I think if you had bought any games from the sack with the sole intention of trying to get Portal 2 released early, you cannot complain about the Potato Sack as you clearly are either stupid or just spend money for no reason. The games in the sack were meant to be played to be ENJOYED, not to be used as bargaining chips to get Valve to release Portal early! You should judge this game for what it is, a fiendishly difficult and clever game that is immensely enjoyable from start to finish. Please stop seeing things through your fanboy-tinted lenses. It ruins it for everyone else. Expand
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    Why are there so many haters? Even if you did manage to complete it quickly, new players will have struggles, some puzzles will take a while, and more importantly: did you enjoy those supposed four hours? Please, don't rate a game because of its length or its completely unneccessary day-one cosmetic DLC. Most games have avatar and dashboard DLC for Xbox day-one as well, the onlyWhy are there so many haters? Even if you did manage to complete it quickly, new players will have struggles, some puzzles will take a while, and more importantly: did you enjoy those supposed four hours? Please, don't rate a game because of its length or its completely unneccessary day-one cosmetic DLC. Most games have avatar and dashboard DLC for Xbox day-one as well, the only difference it that you can use it in-game here. Expand
  48. Apr 19, 2011
    Okay this trolling is getting out of hand. I am going to both review the game and dispell all the lies.

#1 The game is NOT 4 hours long. It has been disproven by many gaming outlets; Rock Paper Shotgun, 1up, Kotaku, etc. On a speed run it takes about 7 hours to beat the SP. #2. The DLC is ALL cosmetic. They do not charge for any added levels so this motion of you are missing game

#2. The DLC is ALL cosmetic. They do not charge for any added levels so this motion of you are missing game content because it costs money for a hat is ridiculous.

#3. This is NOT a console port. At ALL. The game is amazing and one of the best and most creative games made. Fantastic voice acting, great story, mind boggling gameplay. Better than Portal 1 in every way and the best Valve game yet. Do yourself a favor and buy it!
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    I cannot believe the user reviews I am seeing. Folks are mad because Valve sells hats? Or the potato pack? Seriously? Really?!?!?!? Nobody forced folks to purchase either. As far as the hats, they don't affect game play and are purely for aesthetics. Personally, I will never get one but to each their own. By far this is one of the most fresh, innovative and fun games I have playedI cannot believe the user reviews I am seeing. Folks are mad because Valve sells hats? Or the potato pack? Seriously? Really?!?!?!? Nobody forced folks to purchase either. As far as the hats, they don't affect game play and are purely for aesthetics. Personally, I will never get one but to each their own. By far this is one of the most fresh, innovative and fun games I have played in ages, GlaDos is in rare form. The levels are fun and intriguing and the graphics are very good. Are they Crysis 1 or Warhead good? Nope. But then again neither was Crysis 2. However the graphics are still above most other games out at the moment. Plus unlike the slew of recent console ports, the Source Engine still runs extremely well on a host of computers.

Game play? Well that is top notch. The puzzles are fun and it is quite the time waster. Those saying the completed it in 4 to 7 hours were rushing through. There is tons written on the walls in side rooms you should take a look at. It all adds to the story, but if all you want to do is the puzzles you may get through in the times posted, but you are missing a lot.

Overall if you enjoyed the story line in Portal, Portal 2 is for you. As I said GlaDos is in rare form, and personally I am a bad human being. Test results don't lie. Also, don't forget to read the comics in the game as this explains how you got back there.
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the best game in years, It does everything right from the puzzles to the dialogue to a story which was surprisingly engaging for a cast that is mostly robots. If your thinking of buying this game then ignore the user reviews and look over at the critic reviews, this game is nigh on perfect and the only reason it is getting low scores is because of trolls who scream foul at theThis is the best game in years, It does everything right from the puzzles to the dialogue to a story which was surprisingly engaging for a cast that is mostly robots. If your thinking of buying this game then ignore the user reviews and look over at the critic reviews, this game is nigh on perfect and the only reason it is getting low scores is because of trolls who scream foul at the briefest mention of hats. They are entirely cosmetic and optional. Also this game is not short like many of the user reviews say. It took me 8 hrs and I haven't even started the coop yet. All in all a brilliant game, Valve's best game since Half Life 2. Expand
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    I've played only the single player portion of the game and I think that it is a masterpiece! Excellent Puzzles, voice over, graphics, story... every gamer of the world should play this game at least 1 time.
  52. Apr 19, 2011
    I haven't finished either, but a solid 2 hours in and I see quite a bit more game coming at me, with more innovation in levels as well as co-op. To the guy that said you beat in in 45 minutes, that's completely **** I beat the first one in about 45 minutes the second time I played on steam about a week ago, and this has a significantly larger amount of chambers already, with innovative newI haven't finished either, but a solid 2 hours in and I see quite a bit more game coming at me, with more innovation in levels as well as co-op. To the guy that said you beat in in 45 minutes, that's completely **** I beat the first one in about 45 minutes the second time I played on steam about a week ago, and this has a significantly larger amount of chambers already, with innovative new designs. To people who say it's too short or doesn't fit the 60$ price tag, that's also stupid. I paid 35$ for this game and will get a 20$ gift card to amazon because of it. Anyone who pays full price without getting preorder benefits that will inevitably stack towards the next game you buy is dumb. With so much competition between retailers, going to the only one (Gamestop) that doesn't offer things at launch is idiotic. To people who say that the 60$ pricetag doesn't include the 80$ of day one DLC, it's all visual. Nobody gives a damn what emoticon your character can express, and again, nobody in their right mind would buy all of it. To claim it adds to the price tag is bull, it doesn't do anything, let the game be the test of the game, not the pricetag.

Nevertheless, even at a 60$ pricetag, with kotaku and others reporting >10 hours of gameplay, it beats going to the movies.

Oh and BTW this is the second valve game I've ever owned. Not a "fanboy" looking to praise anyone. I had the free copy of Portal one, and I suppose I've played Left for Dead, but never bothered buying them.

The only downside I can see so far is that so far the levels haven't been anything about the timing, all about thinking. I liked the few about timing in the first. Added reflexes and such.

Definitely a fun game, and I haven't even started co-op! Also never buy into the hype. Make your own hype, don't go with everyone or it will be a hype inflation :P In which case this game would still be a good game, never a negative review due to solely that.
  53. Apr 19, 2011
    trolls will be trolls. the microtransactions are OPTIONAL. The game thus far is the **** and if I choose to pay to customize my character, I don't mind that. IMO valve deserves my money, especially considering that in 1998 i bought a single game that brought me years of enjoyement (due to their mod community support). Without them there would not be a Counterstrike, or Team fortress, ortrolls will be trolls. the microtransactions are OPTIONAL. The game thus far is the **** and if I choose to pay to customize my character, I don't mind that. IMO valve deserves my money, especially considering that in 1998 i bought a single game that brought me years of enjoyement (due to their mod community support). Without them there would not be a Counterstrike, or Team fortress, or Portal/Portal2. Expand
  54. Apr 19, 2011
    Hands-down the best Valve game to-date. The experience is hilarious, suspenseful, perfectly paced and crafted. The graphics look and run superbly, and the world is gorgeous and intriguing. The story and its twists are incredible, and the characters are all flawless. Single-Player is less than 10 hours, which many will gripe about, but it was well worth the money.
  55. Apr 19, 2011
    I found the first half of the game even better than the original, but the second half just blew my mind. Quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Took me about 8.5 hours for the single player game with only a few pauses when stumped, so don't put much stock in reviews that say 3-4 hours. There is obviously some kind of coordinated effort to discredit the game, but you're seriouslyI found the first half of the game even better than the original, but the second half just blew my mind. Quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Took me about 8.5 hours for the single player game with only a few pauses when stumped, so don't put much stock in reviews that say 3-4 hours. There is obviously some kind of coordinated effort to discredit the game, but you're seriously missing out if you don't play it for yourself. Expand
  56. Sep 10, 2011
    This is a perfect sequel, everything is better than the first one. There is no downside except that the game is short, but that's normal for almost every game released on this generation. Valve did it again, they created another masterpiece. The co-op is fun and has some great challenge in it. This is simply one of those games you shouldn't miss out this year.
  57. Apr 24, 2011
    Filled with intricate puzzles, funny dialogue, an amazing story line and great music. A must for anyone who has already beaten the first Portal and looking for a challenge. Game play wise, Portal 2 friendly to those who are new to the Portal universe, easing them from simple puzzles to more complicated ones at a pace they can keep up with, but the story line may not make sense at certainFilled with intricate puzzles, funny dialogue, an amazing story line and great music. A must for anyone who has already beaten the first Portal and looking for a challenge. Game play wise, Portal 2 friendly to those who are new to the Portal universe, easing them from simple puzzles to more complicated ones at a pace they can keep up with, but the story line may not make sense at certain points since some of it requires knowledge from the Portal 1. But then again, IT IS a sequel. What would you expect?

Co-op is fun and keeps the player interested throughout the different chambers. With the "ping" tool players can communicate easier with each other, and the mic makes it even better. Though if players don't have access to a mic, communication can be a lot more difficult and make certain puzzles more frustrating to complete. That's only dependent on the player though, not the game, as the game provides various methods for players to "talk" to each other. Definitely impress by co-op.

... And the credit music is awesome too.
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    Quite simply one of the best games of the year. Superior to the original in every way. Don't listen the reviews saying it's only a minigame. Like the game or not, that's a flat out lie. There's 6 to 8 hours of game time in the single player alone. Plus there's an entirely seperate co-op campaign that's just as long. And it's one of the best co op experiences I've ever played. IfQuite simply one of the best games of the year. Superior to the original in every way. Don't listen the reviews saying it's only a minigame. Like the game or not, that's a flat out lie. There's 6 to 8 hours of game time in the single player alone. Plus there's an entirely seperate co-op campaign that's just as long. And it's one of the best co op experiences I've ever played. If you liked the first one...you're gonna love this one. Expand
  59. Apr 22, 2011
    Absolutely 100% enjoyable game. Funny, challenging, polished. Just play it. Anyone who has a bad review of this game is sad. A wonderful sequel, but also terrific by itself to those who have never played the first one.
  60. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game but way to easy. Obviously has been dumbed down for the console controllers. Got to the end and it seemed like it should have been the mid point where the puzzles got actually challenging but not to be.
  61. Apr 25, 2011
    Not the best VALVe game, but it is still great. Bugs, bad map design, short and easy, still enjoyable.

Needs better support for 3+ players though.
  62. May 28, 2011
    Portal 2 is overrated. All these 100s and 10s are completely undeserved. Portal 2 is very good, sure. But it's flaws make what the game wanted to be disappear. For example, through most of the game, it's more of a hide-and-seek puzzle, for when you're looking for the white walls you can shoot portals on. And a LOT of the game is like this.

Wheatley and GlaDOS are funny, but talk way too

Wheatley and GlaDOS are funny, but talk way too much. GlaDOS also has a change of character from the original portal, going from sarcasm/passive-aggressive to more of a blunt way of talking. And not many quotes are quotable that were made by GlaDOS.

Still, this is an amazing game. I've laughed countless times, had fun solving puzzles, and more. The ending was by far the best ending I've ever seen in a video game.
  63. Apr 26, 2011
    The single player game is 10 hours of pure joy. The best writing in gaming, great puzzles and lots of laughs. The only complaint I have is that you have to increase the mouse sensitivity a bit for the controls to be perfect. Source engine screams: I'm running on Mac Mini late 2010 (Win 7 via Bootcamp) with a 320M and 4GB of memory with all the bells and whistles turned on - neverThe single player game is 10 hours of pure joy. The best writing in gaming, great puzzles and lots of laughs. The only complaint I have is that you have to increase the mouse sensitivity a bit for the controls to be perfect. Source engine screams: I'm running on Mac Mini late 2010 (Win 7 via Bootcamp) with a 320M and 4GB of memory with all the bells and whistles turned on - never dropped a frame. Expand
  64. Apr 23, 2011
    I don't usually bother writing reviews, but I had to write this to counter all those baseless low scores. Notice that most scores after release day or 9 or 10s? This has got to be the best game Valve has put out so far, even if it's short. People complain because Valve made it out to be the best thing since sliced bread, well guess what? Every developer over-hypes their game, it's how youI don't usually bother writing reviews, but I had to write this to counter all those baseless low scores. Notice that most scores after release day or 9 or 10s? This has got to be the best game Valve has put out so far, even if it's short. People complain because Valve made it out to be the best thing since sliced bread, well guess what? Every developer over-hypes their game, it's how you sell. Obviously if you don't enjoy puzzles or Portal 1 you won't like this, that's like hating FPS games and expecting to like Halo of CoD.

If you liked Portal this offers more of the same, with the edition of a story, new areas, improved graphics, and much longer gameplay. It also introduces some new features that make the puzzles more interesting. It's not perfect, despite what Valve and their fanboys make it out to be, but considering it's as long as most FPS games that people pay full price for, it's well worth what Valve asks for (and you can often find it for less).
  65. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazing game.

8 hours of single player
    4 hours of co op
    stunning graphics
    many easter eggs to be found. funny as hell

if you say other wise go have some Deadly Nerotoxin already.
  66. Apr 23, 2011
    A beautifully crafted and unforgettable experience. Portal 2 is a masterpiece; you are plunged into an entirely engrossing world, with characters that engage you from the start. The level design, game mechanic, voice acting, animation and unique game-world are all perfectly polished to a blinding sheen. You'll be lucky to find characters that are anywhere near as interesting and wellA beautifully crafted and unforgettable experience. Portal 2 is a masterpiece; you are plunged into an entirely engrossing world, with characters that engage you from the start. The level design, game mechanic, voice acting, animation and unique game-world are all perfectly polished to a blinding sheen. You'll be lucky to find characters that are anywhere near as interesting and well designed, or a setting as singularly unique and well crafted in any hollywood movie this year, let alone a game. The only way in which this game fails to meet expectations is that the puzzles never soar to the brain-crunchingly intricate design of Portal 1's end-game. Throughout the game we are introduced to a wide variety of mechanics that never quite come together in the complexity that one would hope.

Some mention should be made of the mob-mentality negative reviews you'll find here on metacritic. The ARG for this game promised an early launch if people downloaded some independent games on steam. They are all great games, so not only have people contributed to small indie developers success, but they have also received a bundle of excellent critically acclaimed games at a massive discount. And Portal 2 was released early. This was not enough for some people - they wanted Portal 2 even earlier, and their bitterness and rage has caused a wave of negativity on the user reviews, users citing Portal 2 as too short and boring. They clearly haven't played it. Portal 2, when played for speed and skipping as much content as possible could probably be completed in 6 hours. 8-10 is more probable, for a normal play-through, and we're not even counting the standalone co-op campaign here. No, these accusations are fueled by a combination of rage, idiocy and a lack of understanding that the steam play-timer is wildly inaccurate.

What are you doing reading user reviews anyway? Read the critic reviews for an untainted review-pool, and go play the game now!
  67. Apr 24, 2011
    Basically, this is a game that needs to be played to be believed. There will probably never be another like it, in terms of writing, style and voice acting. Ignore the haters, and their trivial points. Just play this game, because it's probably as close to perfection as the medium will ever get.
  68. Sep 13, 2011
    Even though I absolutely loved the first Portal,Portal 2 is just plain overrated.It just "surprises" you over and over again.(Just like GlaDoS and her "surprises") Which,apparently,gets boring after a while.

Graphics are quite smooth as you'd expect from a Source engine game,music is great,storyline is good but not as good as the first one.It certainly doesn't deserve a 95 out of 100,maybe 85-90 at max.

I enjoyed it,and the co-op mode is short but fun to play.Has low re-playablity value though.
  69. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game Period. the DLC people are complaining about is cosmetic, no different from buying items for your avatar on 360. If you don't want it don't buy it. Just because you know it exists and feel entitled too it doesn't mean it should be "Built in to the game." VALVE IS RUNNING A BUSINESS.
  70. Apr 19, 2011
    While there are certainly issues with the way VALVe has launched this game, I don't believe those should be factored into a review of the game itself. The game is fun, humours, and the bitter sarcastic GLaDOS chatter is darn good too! The game is visually appealing, etc... Good game despite some of the poor choices VALVe made regarding it's launch.
  71. Apr 19, 2011
    Were people expecting a 40 hour RPG with endless gameplay options? Apparently none of the whiners played the first Portal, which would help them understand it's a puzzle game. Not a 10 hour FPS. That game lasted 45-90 minutes... maybe much longer, depending on your capacity for solving puzzles. Those that claimed it took them 45 minutes, go away trolls - at minimum, this game lasts 3-3.5Were people expecting a 40 hour RPG with endless gameplay options? Apparently none of the whiners played the first Portal, which would help them understand it's a puzzle game. Not a 10 hour FPS. That game lasted 45-90 minutes... maybe much longer, depending on your capacity for solving puzzles. Those that claimed it took them 45 minutes, go away trolls - at minimum, this game lasts 3-3.5 hours. I beat it in about 4.5. What Valve has done with this game is incredible - I loved it.

And, they didn't charge $65 like Mr. Bobby Kotick would have. For those that are claiming $60, 80, or 90 purchases, you better check where you buy your games. On Steam it was $45, and at Best Buy it was $35. Valve has always been fair to gamers, and they have released far superior games for less money. $65 for Black Ops? No thanks. That was only 6 hours of gameplay, and it was worthless. What are people complaining about??

The menus RESEMBLE those of a console. Oh well. Valve has always been very good about gearing their games toward the PC audience, since that is where their following came from. The graphics look wonderful - especially considering they are still using the 7 year old source engine. The graphics options were above and beyond those of, say, Crysis 2, which was a very obvious console port.

The DLC wasn't even a crucial gameplay purchase. Don't base your review of the game on your own failure to look into what the DLC was and whether or not it even offered improvements on the base game. And by the way... Potato Sack DOES NOT qualify as DLC.

This game was incredibly well made, and the comic relief was wonderful! I would recommend this to anybody, except whiny console fanboys. And those that purchased on 360 and PS3, DO NOT post your reviews on the PC section.
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is good, no wait, it's VERY good. It delivers on it's promise and introduces us to rich new world. I won't give away spoilers, but if you liked Portal you will LOVE the second sequel. This sets a benchmark which developers need to take note of. Sequels can be amazing. They can build on the past and make it even better. Do yourself a favour this Easter long weekend - Buy Portal 2,Portal 2 is good, no wait, it's VERY good. It delivers on it's promise and introduces us to rich new world. I won't give away spoilers, but if you liked Portal you will LOVE the second sequel. This sets a benchmark which developers need to take note of. Sequels can be amazing. They can build on the past and make it even better. Do yourself a favour this Easter long weekend - Buy Portal 2, lock yourself away and enjoy. Expand
  73. Apr 19, 2011
    Incredibly well written game, a true comedy/drama finally brought to a video game. Some of Valves best work yet. A lot of complaint has been said of the DLC store and the ARG leading up to the release, but is irrelevant to the quality of the single player and coop game.
  74. Apr 19, 2011
    The backlash against Portal 2 on this site is mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's aThe backlash against Portal 2 on this site is mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's a sequel--what do you really expect?). The brilliance of Portal 1's storytelling came as a surprise to people just expecting an experimental puzzle game; Portal 2, then can only lose points by not having even greater writing/humour/etc. Regardless, Portal 2 improves on the original with a longer and more challenging single-player mode, a co-op mode, several new mechanics, and more Portal humor. It's a great sequel to a great game. If the price seems steep to console users, just wait a while and pick it up later--it's worth your time. Expand
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply Valve's best game ever with brilliant humor and intelligent awesome gameplay. Thanks Valve for making me happy with this secound part of Portal. Even the Coop is awesome which I first had some doubts. I will go playing now...
  76. Apr 19, 2011
    Why, oh why, are people panning this game, just because of its silly in-game store, or because the ARG wasn't the fabulous success they imagined it would be? Neither affect the core experience of Portal 2, which, just on its own, not only manages to completely blow away its predecessor in terms of content, humour, intelligence and fun factor... it also manages to be one of the best gamesWhy, oh why, are people panning this game, just because of its silly in-game store, or because the ARG wasn't the fabulous success they imagined it would be? Neither affect the core experience of Portal 2, which, just on its own, not only manages to completely blow away its predecessor in terms of content, humour, intelligence and fun factor... it also manages to be one of the best games Valve has ever made.

I started playing the Single Player campaign at 10am, and finished playing at around 6pm.
    Now, I'm one of those people who'll start a campaign, and not stop until it's finished. That doesn't mean I rushed it, mind; one of the things I love about Valve's games is that it rewards you for straying off the beaten track. Easter eggs, extra dialogue... you name it. Portal 2's content is layered incredibly well, so that if you're enthralled enough to go back for another playthrough, you're sure to find or notice something that you didn't before. (I'm already on my second playthrough of the campaign.)

And the beauty of it is, it's so **** brilliant. Seriously. I can't begin to explain just how satisfying, how hilarious, how clever, and how completely fun this game is. I simply can't do it enough justice, compared to you picking it up and playing it through yourself. There is so much content; so many belly laughs, so many 'eureka' moments... That it would be completely unfair of me to just jot them down on a list. As corny as this'll sound, you really have to see it to believe it.

Another interesting point... From what I've read thus far, the true star of the show is the Co-op mode. I've not even touched it yet (mainly because I don't know anybody else who has Portal 2 yet), and I still already **** love the game as a whole. I have no idea how people can possibly pick fault with it, based on such meaningless niggles like the ones listed above. The positives outweighs the negatives to such a ridiculous degree, that second I started playing, all my doubts and preconceptions vanished. I'd spent the weekend doggedly following the ARG, as I'm sure thousands of others did, waiting for the game to be released... I'd guessed a day early. Perhaps two! But I never let myself fall into the trap of condemning the game itself because of its marketing; just because the slightly earlier release wasn't early enough for some, it doesn't make it a terrible game (or 'minigame', as some idiots on here have described it).

So please. I am begging you. Try it. Ignore the childish naysayers on here and just bloody try it. You will love every second of it, especially if you loved the first Portal. And if you've not played the first Portal, don't let that deter you. The game stands up on its own perfectly well, and I'm sure it'll be seen from now on as the benchmark for all games that fall within its genre.

Buy it, play it, love it.
    Also, potatoes.
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    AMAZINGLY done! They pulled off the acting very well, 10 out of 10 for it! DLC does bother me, but it's not mandatory and does not affect game-play at all. Finished the game about 1 hour ago, and I'm still trying to wonder how I did some of those puzzles as they were very difficult.(Even though some will say it was easy) Amazing job again Valve, cept. for the DLC, but the game was great!
  78. Apr 19, 2011
    Better than the first and the first was the most innovative game ever. DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE TROLLS! They are doing the same thing that happened to Dragon Age. Read all the critic reviews and you will see.
  79. Apr 19, 2011
    The negative reviews aren't even logical- an obvious console port? It's A VALVE GAME. The dialogue is excellent- you really feel for the characters. Valve took a risk at trying to put emotion into robots, and they sure as hell succeeded. I was crying at the end of this game. The storyline is really gripping and pulls you into the plot.

Story aside, the puzzles are a lot more challenging,

Story aside, the puzzles are a lot more challenging, but the game eases you in really nicely- my sister had no trouble picking up the controls and mechanics right away.

A++++++
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is engaging, smart, funny, well written, and looks absolutely fantastic. It also offers some of the best 2 player cooperative gameplay you will ever experience. I can't believe how many trolls have given this game a 0 because of the DLC and so called short lengh. First off nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC, it is literally cosmetic changes and has absolutely no impact onPortal 2 is engaging, smart, funny, well written, and looks absolutely fantastic. It also offers some of the best 2 player cooperative gameplay you will ever experience. I can't believe how many trolls have given this game a 0 because of the DLC and so called short lengh. First off nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC, it is literally cosmetic changes and has absolutely no impact on gameplay, don't want the DLC? then don't buy it, because it makes no difference. As far as the game lengh goes, with the single player and coop and incredible immersion on offer it is probably a lot longer than most games these days. Valve are truly the gamers developer and Portal 2 is one of their best games to date. Expand
  81. Apr 19, 2011
    Best Valve game ever, if you like the original portal, this second part is your game. Good graphic , Good history and the perfect cooperative mode. Thank you Valve.
  82. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know why there are so many sub five reviews for this game. Maybe just a lot of over-reactions from people. Anyway, I'll write this to help balance it out.

Portal 2 is not a 10/10. It's close. But it doesn't quite make it.
    The single-player storyline was great. The characters all fill their roles well and we were given a much larger background on the Aperture science facility. Valve also manages to get some pretty epic moments in there as well as adding some great new mechanics like the gel and what not.

However, after the story-line there are no advanced chambers to keep challenging yourself and your friends with time trials, least portal challenges etc, etc. But with the addition of a pretty awesome Co-op play where you have to work together to complete various test chambers (As well as crushing bros with the panel thingys) it's not so bad. But still, it would have been nice (As well as a possible DLC area. Which brings me to my next point)

**** day one DLC. Seriously. I don't have a problem with DLC in general. Expanding on your game later is awesome for keeping the game fresh and interesting. But shipping the game with content that you have to buy to unlock is just bad.
  83. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game, great graphics. Well Worth it. Enjoyed it very much!~
    Don't get why people are **** about DLC. It's not necassary, and especially not necessary to base the game's review over such a retarded point.
  84. Apr 19, 2011
    Complain all you want about paying $60 for a mini game, you should have shopped around and gotten it for $35 - $45 without ever leaving your couch by pre-ordering. It's freaking awesome, funny, challenging and great looking.

If you're complaining about the potato sac deal, get over it. You bought a cool collection of games cheap and played them for a few hours. "OH GOD, I HAD TO PLAY SUPER MEAT BOY" --- boo-hoo.

The game is plenty long for the single player and co-op extends the play time out even more. If you rated it a 1 or 0, then go crawl back under your hole and play minecraft. It's free and you can play it forever.
  85. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely amazing from start to finish. It keeps the black humour from the original, and adds to it with a new character, Wheatley, the memory core. The puzzles are also much more challenging than the original with inclusion of all new physics mechanics, gravity beams, light bridges, paint... It's the most fun I've had gaming this year and it's in a very strong place for my personal gameAbsolutely amazing from start to finish. It keeps the black humour from the original, and adds to it with a new character, Wheatley, the memory core. The puzzles are also much more challenging than the original with inclusion of all new physics mechanics, gravity beams, light bridges, paint... It's the most fun I've had gaming this year and it's in a very strong place for my personal game of the year award. And all tied neatly together by a brilliant story that takes you back through the history of aperture science.

Absolutely brilliant.
  86. Apr 19, 2011
    I had super high expectations for thing game, and it exceeded them in every way. This is why I play games. Beautiful graphics, funny dialogue, pure fun to play. In one word, amazing.
  87. Apr 19, 2011
    I thought this game would be great, not amazing, haha i was wrong. the only complaint i can think of is the micro transactions. but hey, if people wanna give valve more money for hats, so they can keep making games of this quality (when they finally get around to making a game, that is) im happy. superb.
  88. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game. Ignore all the retarded 0./10 reviews.

Very funny and very polished. Highly recommended. Loved it.

Its about 8 hours long not 4 hours.
  89. Apr 20, 2011
    These winging comments about the coop costumes and length are idiotic, I can't believe how stupid some of these reviews are. Portal 2 is an amazing game, just want episode 3 now valve!
  90. Apr 20, 2011
    I must admit I am thrilled, I loved the first portal and was very unsure if anything could live up to it. I am happy to say it blew past my high expectations. I love the game, but I am not sure how much replayability there is in it. But still - would not have missed this one for the world. I know there are some murmurs about DLC - but this time its not content, just items that change theI must admit I am thrilled, I loved the first portal and was very unsure if anything could live up to it. I am happy to say it blew past my high expectations. I love the game, but I am not sure how much replayability there is in it. But still - would not have missed this one for the world. I know there are some murmurs about DLC - but this time its not content, just items that change the looks - thats fine in my book as DLC goes. Had it been levels I would have set the score at 8 Expand
  91. Apr 19, 2011
    It's a shame to see so many reviewers up in arms about a cosmetic addition to the game. But to be honest, I think it's equally shameful for many reviewers to just throw out a "This game was perfect," even for the purpose of counterracting the negative reviews.

Let's be realistic. Alright yes, there was DLC on day 1, but some of it is unlockable in-game anyway, and the saved game message might not have been patched due to release issues with Sony and Microsoft. I can easily overlook these, but the game was not perfect by any means either. There are some definite gripes to be had, but I think everybody, both yea- and nay-sayers just needs to calm down and look at this for its qualities as a game.

The campaign was pretty short; I believe I clocked in at about 5-6 hours. The co-op campaign, which I have not finished yet but am a decent way through, adds a significant amount of time to this. An 8-10 hour game (including co-op) is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. The single-player is more about the characters and the story, while the co-op focuses on some pretty intuitive puzzle solving, and in the end I think it balances well.

I think my biggest personal complaint, though, was the sheer amount of loading screens. I think I saw about 50-60 loading screens in the game. It seriously cuts down on game immersion if every 3 minutes you have to stare at black screen and wait for the next section of game to pop up, and it gets very tedious. But, to be honest, I can easily overlook that issue too, because there were several things this game did absolutely wonderfully.

First off, all the dialogue was exceptional, as was the voice acting. All of the robotic characters were perfectly believable, and JK Simmons' work as Cave Johnson was phenomenal. The off-kilter humor from the first Portal was still there as well, though it seems that some people didn't particularly care for that, either this time around. To me, that morbid sense of humor is what makes Portal Portal.

Another plus but also another gripe, I did enjoy all the new gameplay mechanics, but I think they could have fleshed them out a little bit more, through more puzzles. And they left out the pneumatic diversity vents, which I thought was disappointing.

Overall, this game was not perfect, but I don't think it really deserves such a strong negative reception. Some of the gripes were legitimate, like the single-player being a bit too short, or perhaps some of the puzzles being too easy. But complaints about the DLC and loading screens are just petty. Look at this game for the qualities of the actual game. I personally think Portal 2 definitely lived up to the precedent set by the first one. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I just hope that others will still be able to as well.
  92. Apr 19, 2011
    The game is very good. Yes, the source engine is old, yes there is OPTIONAL dlc, yes it's available on the consoles. But you know what really matters to me? It's fun. I enjoyed the hell out of the game. I haven't beaten it yet. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant as Wheatley was spot on and amazing. I laughed a lot when I wasn't figuring out puzzles. But like I said the game is funThe game is very good. Yes, the source engine is old, yes there is OPTIONAL dlc, yes it's available on the consoles. But you know what really matters to me? It's fun. I enjoyed the hell out of the game. I haven't beaten it yet. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant as Wheatley was spot on and amazing. I laughed a lot when I wasn't figuring out puzzles. But like I said the game is fun and that is all that should matter when it comes to playing video games. The PS3 integration in to Steam is a nice touch. I can play on PC then head to the bedroom and continue that save game with out really having to do anything. The cross platform play between PS3 and PC is something I also look forward to. I think the possibilities with this system of Steam getting integrated in to a console has a ton of potential. Expand
  93. Apr 19, 2011
    Seriously, these complaints are completely unwarranted, or at least in the wrong place.

Most of these reviews seem to be moaning about the potato sack pack. Any marketing for the game (and I should note no one was "required" to buy the whole pack, or any game from the pack as some are claiming) really doesn't affect the game itself. DLC. It seems like most people hear DLC and instantly

DLC. It seems like most people hear DLC and instantly think "bad greedy company." This is sometimes the case, with DLC that provides players with overpowered weapons. This is not the case in Portal 2. Yes it is a system in place in order to make Valve money, but I fail to see how this is necessarily a bad thing. If people want to buy cosmetic bonuses for their characters, let them. It provides no disadvantage to anyone else.

Puzzles. I've been playing through the game simultaneously with a friend. Neither of us are stupid - he is currently working on his doctorate - yet we have been consistently challenged by the puzzles later in the game. The new elements introduced later really do make the game more challenging. If you claim you found all of the puzzles overly easy, I'm not sure I believe you finished.

Gameplay. There have been complaints about unoriginality. These complaints are absurd. You would not play Half-Life 2 expecting a stealth-heavy game, nor should you expect such a basic mechanical change in Portal's sequel. Instead, Valve introduces new peripheral mechanics which it uses to build upon the original concept, the way a sequel is supposed to build upon the original.

Writing. I'll start with the story. I enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting, and there were a few twists that I really wasn't expecting. There was a lot more to the story than in Portal 1, and I won't waste time debating this with anyone.

Console Port. Another one of those terms that people immediately and inexplicably associate with "bad." I see no problem with porting games to consoles, if it is done well. As I haven't played the console versions, however, I won't comment on them.

Humor. It was subtler, but still very frequent and very much there. I have to question whether anyone who says otherwise has actually bothered to listen to it. I laughed a lot playing through Portal 2.

Cake. I hate the cake meme, and how the internet has exploited such a miniscule aspect of Portal 1. "The cake is a lie" is not funny, no matter how many times you say it. Valve handles this very well in Portal 2, addressing the cake only once, in passing, and then leaving it.

Length. This is the only complaint I've read here that even approaches validity. The single player mode took me about 9 hours, about four times longer than Portal 1. I still haven't played the coop portion, so I won't ignorantly comment on it. It is significantly longer than Portal 1, but yes, it is still a fairly short game. I do not believe those who claim that they finished it in four hours on their first playthrough without walkthroughs or cheats.

Rereading this, it looks like I've become more verbose as the review progressed, so I'll end this before I sound any more like a prick. In summary, I have had fun so far with Portal 2, and consider it a worthwhile purchase.
  94. Apr 19, 2011
    just finished and felt i needed to review (especcially with the number of bad reviews that are currently on meta critic) the took me about 8-9 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. there were times where the end looked in sight when a whole new section ,bigger than the last, would begin. the difficulty never seemed to spike too fast while still providing a challenge for all the puzzles.just finished and felt i needed to review (especcially with the number of bad reviews that are currently on meta critic) the took me about 8-9 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. there were times where the end looked in sight when a whole new section ,bigger than the last, would begin. the difficulty never seemed to spike too fast while still providing a challenge for all the puzzles. the new elements such as the gel work amazingly well. but the thing that made the game stand out was the humour. the fantasic diologue of both glados and weightly the new character is a work of art, i have lost count of the amount of times ive burst out laughing (i coundnt even breath during the ending itself ).
    with the review out of the way i would also like to state my views on some of the previous comments that rate portal2 un favourabliy.

1:pricey DLC
    yes there is a store very much like the team fortress 2 one that allows you costumise your bots in multiplayer. this is purely decrotive and does not effect gameplay. so in my eyes solution is simple
    don't want the DLC? don't buy the DLC! it is a way the company can make a little extra cash for other projects but it's not forcing you to buy

2:too short
    this confused me a bit. as i said it took me between 8-9 hours to complete and i felt that i was still going through at a nice pace. it could be that they rushed through without listening too a lot of the dialogue which i feel is a much a part of the game as the gameplay.

3:potato marketing
    this one i can understand a bit. however i work in the industtry which gives me a different perspective on this. it should be remembered that the designers, programmers, artists and everyone who makes the game are very seperate from the company as a whole. these people likely had nothing to do with the marketing idea but gave thier all on the game instead. if there is complaints about this then they would be to the company NOT the game. plus it shows valve trying to support indie games (which the majority were quite decent)

4: same gameplay as origanal
    yes same core gameplay but with some new elements that changed how you played and even how you thought about approaching puzzles. besides first game's gameplay kicked ass! easy controls and challenging puzzles.

5: predictable story
    um i'm not sure we are playing the same game with this point. way too many WTF moments and suprises that i can count. but i guess everyone's view on this wouls be different.

6: replayability
    i would disagree here. i've replayed portal mainly for experienceing the houmour and witty dialogue which the sequel has in abbondance. i can see me replaying this in the future. in all i love portal 2 and eagerly await portal 3 (or at least HL episode 3)
  95. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the better games to come out this year. Don't listen to all these idiots giving it a low rating. The game is good and long, graphics are great, story is great. Anyone who gives this a low rating clearly has the IQ of a squashed potato.
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    I loved it! It took me about 8 hours to finish. All the character's were very entertaining and full of personality. I liked the new gameplay elements with the different gels. Some of the parts had me stumped for a little while. Mostly the last hour or two. I thought the final battle and ending were great. The song at the end was pretty good too, it's no still alive. I was kind of surprisedI loved it! It took me about 8 hours to finish. All the character's were very entertaining and full of personality. I liked the new gameplay elements with the different gels. Some of the parts had me stumped for a little while. Mostly the last hour or two. I thought the final battle and ending were great. The song at the end was pretty good too, it's no still alive. I was kind of surprised to hear a new original song because I was kind of expecting a remix of the old one. Haven't tried the coop yet, but I plan to play through single player again with the commentary on. Just a total Portal fanboy. So happy they made a sequel that doesn't ruin the series. I hope they make another one! Expand
  97. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the most entertaining. charming, intelligent videogame of the last five years, a breath of fresh air in the sea of call of dutys. The single player campaign is roughly 6 hours long, and the coop campaign is about the same, so I really had no problem with the lenght here, plus its an unforgettable ride. The portal based puzzle gameplay is done to near perfection. Don't let someThis is the most entertaining. charming, intelligent videogame of the last five years, a breath of fresh air in the sea of call of dutys. The single player campaign is roughly 6 hours long, and the coop campaign is about the same, so I really had no problem with the lenght here, plus its an unforgettable ride. The portal based puzzle gameplay is done to near perfection. Don't let some trolls whining about some inconsequential DLC fool you into thinking otherwise, if you liked Portal 1 even just a little bit, or just want a creative, imaginative videogame, get this. Expand
  98. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved this game. It had an awesome start, it had awesome twists and turns, and it was fun all through. There are really only minor things to criticise, like a few lazy jokes and that kind of stuff. But that's just my opinion. Plus, that's like 4 in 1000. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved the atmosphere, and it was just the right amount of difficulty. There isn't much replayability though. But I never play games with good re-play value more than once or twice anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me. And I know there will be huge amounts of user created content and a bit of official story-driven DLC too.

All in all, I loved it.
  99. Apr 19, 2011
    Loved portal 1, loved portal 2. Sure, the portals are the same, and I admit the chambers were a bit easy and I breezed through all but one of them. However, for the single player mode, I prefer easy chambers over hard chambers that get in the way of me seeing the story develop. I'm glad to see they put challenging chambers in the coop, outside of the single player story, so I'm notLoved portal 1, loved portal 2. Sure, the portals are the same, and I admit the chambers were a bit easy and I breezed through all but one of them. However, for the single player mode, I prefer easy chambers over hard chambers that get in the way of me seeing the story develop. I'm glad to see they put challenging chambers in the coop, outside of the single player story, so I'm not dying over and over trying to complete chambers. I think Valve did alright by Portal 2, and there's enough content here to keep me glad that the Portal 1 story will live on. I took one point off because I, like others, expected a longer game for the amount of hype and price, even if it was amazingly polished! Expand
  100. Apr 19, 2011
    A great game that offers a fair bit of challenge and many more hours compared to the original Portal. Multiplayer Coop extended replayability, but is only advisable with a friend. The mechanics of the game are solid, with tweakings and the introduction of new elements that help to expand the variety of the game. The focus of this however seems to be slightly more glamourised, as L4D2 wasA great game that offers a fair bit of challenge and many more hours compared to the original Portal. Multiplayer Coop extended replayability, but is only advisable with a friend. The mechanics of the game are solid, with tweakings and the introduction of new elements that help to expand the variety of the game. The focus of this however seems to be slightly more glamourised, as L4D2 was to L4D, there is a lack of seriousness in comparison to its predecessor. While Portal can be considered a mysterious and dark game, Portal 2 is more of a Black Comedy, with increased elements of sillyness which really detract from its overall themes and interfere with the ability to keep the player immersed. Although the humour is top-notch, the game should have been better if it was darker and not a comedy. Visuals are still quite good, but there have been no monumental steps; but this still stays true to the saying Quality of Quantity, with the game being very polished and smooth. A better engine and gameplay mechanics are more suitable than extreme graphics. Extremely disappointed with the DLC-Cash-Grab Store. Just like TF2's online store, but with far less appeal and merit to the game as a whole. It really is just a cash-grab, and Valve should not be commended for acting in such a way. A serious concern as to the direction of the company; are they focusing on the games during production, or the money spending opportunities. Overall, a very pleasing buy, but there is too much hype for the game for monumental praise. The game does however deliver on everything it promised, it's just that people tend to overblow expectations. Expand
  101. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back toPortal 2 is Valve's latest triumph in gaming. I have always associated Valve with quality games, and they didn't disappoint with this title. While maintaining the same basic functionality and style of its predecessor, it expands upon the mechanics of the game in many interesting ways that keep it exciting. The single player story is engaging, the co-op mode takes you back to the testing days of yore with many fun twists, and the characters are just as easy to fall in love with as before.

GAMEPLAY:
    Portal 2, like Portal 1, features impeccable gameplay. You will find nary a glitch or bug to hinder your experience. In single player, we are all familiar with the way we use the portal gun, and that hasn't changed. After a new character, a personality sphere named Wheatley wakes you from a sort of cryo sleep at the start of the game, and you find the portal gun by going through derelict versions of some of the first Portal 1 chambers. I found this nostalgically satisfying, but worrisome that Valve might just make a repeat game. However, you will see that this beginning is nothing to fret. It worked so well to introduce the mechanics in Portal 1, why not do it again, but with a twist? It effectively satisfies both old and new players alike.

Without revealing any spoilers, many new types of objects gan be used to solve some of these ingenious puzzles. Hard Light Bridges, Discouragement Beams (lasers), Excursion Funnels (energy tubes that carry objects and characters), and the Gels; Propulsion (an orange substance that makes you run fast) and Repulsion (blue substance that causes you to bounce high in the air) are all able to be manipulated by portals. Some of these tests can be as mind boggling as you might expect, and give the game a flavor all its own.

The Co-op story focuses more on the test chamber feel of Portal 1 than the single player story. The use of two sets of portals allows for wider range of possibilities in puzzle solving, and the brilliance of these tests impressed me with each progressive chamber. While not as story driven as Chell's encounters, gameplay truly dominates the Co-op as it did for much of the first title. And as a little bonus, you can interact with your Partner in Science by the way of hugs, high fives, dancing, or even a good old rock paper scissors match! It's easy to grow attatched to these characters, much easier than I had assumed.  Both modes are immensely fun to play through and don't disappoint those who love the good old Portal playstyle.

STORY:
    Without spoiling anything, I will simply say the the single player story is excellent. At times, the pace is slowed because of focus on the story, but by the end of the game you will be in awe. The characters are deep and multilayered, the story develops in ways the first game could not have, and our good enemy GLaDOS is back with a vengeance. Wth many more characters, a bittersweet, heartwarming and epic ending, and another addictingly catchy song during credits, this story meets the par set by its predecessor.

GRAPHICS:
    Portal 2, like most of Valve's titles for the last decade, runs off of the Source engine. With each game it releases Valve manages to up the engine capabilities. This game is no exception. While it doesn't have huge scenarios like L4D or HL2, it does have a level of polish no less than that of their last release, Left 4 Dead 2. The items and people are smooth and streamlined while the textures are rich, varied, and detailed. This game is easy on the eyes and sells its unique atmosphere..

SOUND:
    GLaDOS, the Portal Gun, the turrets, and any other returning objects sound about the same, if not better. The music is catchy and mood setting, but never dominates the game in an unnecessary way. Not a sound is out of place with his game, from the boxes bouncing, to the Excursion Funnel carrying, to a defective turret flying through the air. All the voices in the game are fitting, and extremely well performed. And if this isn't enough, Jonathan Coutlon has another GLaDOS voiced song to fill the credits.

DOWNSIDES:
    Portal 2 is brilliantly crafted, no doubt, but not perfect. For one, it lacks the "wow" factor of the first game. This is unavoidable. Portal 1 introduced a grand, groundbreaking concept to both the puzzle and shooter genres of gaming. This doesn't do that, but rather expands upon it. So don't expect the same awestruck feeling as when you popped in Still Alive. Also, the pacing sacrifice for the story can be annoying when you're just walking around random passageways for 20 minutes. Finally, seeing as the game is no more than 8 hours solid, the $60 price is a bit high.

All in all, Valve has crafted yet another great game, and any Portal lover should get their hands on this title ASAP. Start thinking with portals, again.

1. Oct 20, 2011