Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Apr 21, 2011
    The people complaining about this game were probably too dumb to figure out the first Wheatly puzzle. Portal 2 is a superb game, utterly charming and hilarious. It beautifully expands on the story in the first game and gives you the history of Aperture Science and the origins of GlaDOS while taking you on a fantastic journey. Portal games are unique in all of gamedom and are wonderfulThe people complaining about this game were probably too dumb to figure out the first Wheatly puzzle. Portal 2 is a superb game, utterly charming and hilarious. It beautifully expands on the story in the first game and gives you the history of Aperture Science and the origins of GlaDOS while taking you on a fantastic journey. Portal games are unique in all of gamedom and are wonderful unless you are a bitter troll who can't think with portals. Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2011
    The BEST ending I've ever experienced in a video game. Great character development, and though the story lagged a little in the middle, I still loved it _to death_. About the 0 scores: haters gonna hate. DLC is completely cosmetic, it's not like it improves your experience at all. And it's not a 4-hour campaign, I finished it in 9.5 hours. Open Steam now and click 'Buy' if you haven'tThe BEST ending I've ever experienced in a video game. Great character development, and though the story lagged a little in the middle, I still loved it _to death_. About the 0 scores: haters gonna hate. DLC is completely cosmetic, it's not like it improves your experience at all. And it's not a 4-hour campaign, I finished it in 9.5 hours. Open Steam now and click 'Buy' if you haven't already. There's a good chance you won't regret it. ;-) Expand
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    What can i say? I loved every second of it. From a big fan of the original i had very high expectations and they were surpassed. the characters were genius and the puzzles were extremely difficult at parts. it took me about an hour just to figure out one. But even inexperienced players will soon get the hang of it as the tutorial is quite slow if your learning but can be rushed through ifWhat can i say? I loved every second of it. From a big fan of the original i had very high expectations and they were surpassed. the characters were genius and the puzzles were extremely difficult at parts. it took me about an hour just to figure out one. But even inexperienced players will soon get the hang of it as the tutorial is quite slow if your learning but can be rushed through if you know what you are doing. I loved the humour in the game, it is one of the only games to use humour and had me laughing every time dialog came up in the game. All the new features are greatly thought up to add more puzzling situations for more advanced players. I wont go into a lot of detail as i don't want to spoil anything for the readers. I greatly enjoyed the gameplay and trying to get some of the achievements. I would not recommend watching walkthroughs as they ruin the fun of being stuck and finally getting through certain parts. Valve did a great job and i'm massively hoping for a trilogy.

So far ive completed Single player mode taking me about 10 hours overall. tomorrow i'm starting the co-op which i am such will be fun as me and my friend are going to splitscreen it. Hope this helps any readers who are considering to buy. I greatly recommend it.
  4. Apr 21, 2011
    The negative user reviews this game is getting are insane. This game is one the most humorous, challenging and overall enjoyable games I have ever played. The campaign leaves nothing lacking, and the graphics and art style are unique, while not being overly similar to the original. Although I cannot quite see the logic behind the item store, it is by no means a hindrance on the game,The negative user reviews this game is getting are insane. This game is one the most humorous, challenging and overall enjoyable games I have ever played. The campaign leaves nothing lacking, and the graphics and art style are unique, while not being overly similar to the original. Although I cannot quite see the logic behind the item store, it is by no means a hindrance on the game, seeing as the only purchases available are cosmetic. The characters are brilliantly voiced and this is by far the best game I have played in recent years. Expand
  5. Apr 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, I haven't tried the Co-Op mode yet but the single-player storyline is full of surprises and other things I've never expected before. This game is totally worth buying.
  6. Apr 22, 2011
    The game is great from pretty much every point of view, and compared to the 1st Portal it has a much better length, especially if we include the co-op mode as well. The only problem is that despite it being longer than the 1st Portal it still left me wanting more.

Hopefully that will be compensated with user maps and DLC. Mean wile 9/10.
  7. Apr 22, 2011
    It may take a couple hours to beat (around 7-8 for me), but converted into Valve time, this is equal to about 35-40 hour's worth of other high-rated games.
  8. Apr 23, 2011
    Loved it from beginning to end. Loved every bit of humor. I'll be quoting lines from this at work for a while now. (Yah, i'm one of thoooose) Game-play is great. Beat single player several times. Can't wait to try out the multi-player content. Graphics seemed great to me. Though one of the guys in the developer commentary available in game claims the environments in this game isLoved it from beginning to end. Loved every bit of humor. I'll be quoting lines from this at work for a while now. (Yah, i'm one of thoooose) Game-play is great. Beat single player several times. Can't wait to try out the multi-player content. Graphics seemed great to me. Though one of the guys in the developer commentary available in game claims the environments in this game is easy to do stuff to compared to some other games (...so I guess not much of an accomplishment there?). The ending song is different from the first one but seems catchy. Expand
  9. Apr 24, 2011
    Genius, perhaps the best game I've played. If you like things a little outside the box then you'll love this. Valve know how to make a game - it's also very funny indeed.
  10. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal 2 was a worthy successor to the first portal. It was longer than the first but maintained the quality and humor of the original. The new puzzle pieces were interesting and fit in with the game. My only qualm is the lack of advanced chambers, but Coop, which is also a blast, makes up for that.
  11. Apr 24, 2011
    This one of the best games I've played in a very long time. Not only is it loads of fun, but it's interesting, funny and just a blast over all. I can't find one bad thing to say about this game other than it's very confusing at first but you get used to the entire portal system.
  12. Apr 25, 2011
    this is a review of portal 2. portal 2 is amazing, it is a very very very very very good game and the only thing i want to do is to give this game 10 points because there are many strange people out there that are rating the game down and portal 2 is much better than 8.2. i don't understand people hating this title.
  13. Apr 30, 2011
    Portal 2 is an improvement upon the first in every way. Funnier, better graphics, and the puzzles require greater thought to pass, especially when they add gel to the mix. It loses 1 point because I bought the PC version, and I'd have to buy another copy in order for my girlfriend to play co-op with me.
  14. May 17, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good sequel to the first Portal. It offers a lot more content and a bit more cohesive story. You get plenty of witty dialog and jokes, which make up a good part of the game. The puzzles are mostly easy to figure out, and probably only a few at best will stump you a bit if you are truly "thinking in portals." The co-op game is completely separate from the single player andPortal 2 is a good sequel to the first Portal. It offers a lot more content and a bit more cohesive story. You get plenty of witty dialog and jokes, which make up a good part of the game. The puzzles are mostly easy to figure out, and probably only a few at best will stump you a bit if you are truly "thinking in portals." The co-op game is completely separate from the single player and while it's a bit shorter than the sp game, the co-op is worth playing and equally enjoyable. If you enjoyed the first, definitely check out Portal 2, it's worth it. If you weren't impressed with the first one, this won't win you over. Also, Valve will be offering some free content for all platforms in the near future. Plays well on the PC and would definitely *not* consider it a "bad console port," as many like to say. Expand
  15. Jun 2, 2011
    Valve did a good job story telling, but not a satisfying job entertaining and challenging the previous Portal players. I understand that people wanted to learn more about GlaDOs, but I feel the extra back-story about her was unnecessary. Once you finish the single and co-op campaigns, there's not much else you can do. Sure, you could replay the campaigns, but what happened to the extraValve did a good job story telling, but not a satisfying job entertaining and challenging the previous Portal players. I understand that people wanted to learn more about GlaDOs, but I feel the extra back-story about her was unnecessary. Once you finish the single and co-op campaigns, there's not much else you can do. Sure, you could replay the campaigns, but what happened to the extra bonus levels and challenges we saw in the first Portal game? Overall, I had a fun time progressing through the game, but at the end, I was disappointed. Expand
  16. Jun 17, 2011
    If there is such thing as a perfect sequel, this is it. Truly unbelievable. That's all you need to know. I had to add more to fir the 150 character limit, so I'll just quote GLaDOS. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.
  17. Jun 28, 2011
    Portal 2 is smart, funny, has a story, that keeps you interested the whole time and, of course, makes you think. There's no doubt - its a game masterpiece.
  18. Sep 16, 2011
    I actually cried at the end of Portal 2. No, really. I did. I CRIED BUCKETS. Portal 2's ending was so happy. Yet, so sad. We hope this isn't the end of Portal. I'm sure that the 2000+ of us that gave Portal 2 a positive review would agree. Portal 2 is the best game I've played in my short, sad life yet. It passes Half-Life (not by much, though) It certainly passes ricochet. By miles.
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    GAME OF THE YEAR... so far anywayz. I dont know what all the hate is about seriously get over it. This game is an absolute masterpiece, one of the first games make me laugh so much that i had to pause the game, perfect gameplay and sharp story well done valve, wel done sir!!!
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    Money well spent, truly enjoyed the entire game. The co-op just made everything a lot more fun, especially if you play it with a friend. Valve really outdid themselves!
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    Definitely Valves best ever game. It uses Portals innovations and genius ideas and expands upon them. Portal looks like a mere test bed now in comparison. Lots of great new features to play around with and a truly compelling storyline. Graphically superior to the original in all aspects. Fantastic voice acting for all the characters, all of which are well developed and have their ownDefinitely Valves best ever game. It uses Portals innovations and genius ideas and expands upon them. Portal looks like a mere test bed now in comparison. Lots of great new features to play around with and a truly compelling storyline. Graphically superior to the original in all aspects. Fantastic voice acting for all the characters, all of which are well developed and have their own distinct personalities. The singleplayer is now 6-8 hours long and takes you through the immense facility that is Aperture Laboratories, showing you varying aspects in the companies development over the years while providing you with unique and mind-boggling tests and levels to solve.

Co-op takes place after singleplayer, and is still very enjoyable. It also takes you through Apertures Labs as you work together under the beady watch of GLaDOS. It includes a simple and easy to use 'Ping' tool for informing your partner, and gestures that can be performed.
    Ignore the negative reviews. This is a true masterpiece on a huge scale. Funny, clever, mindbending - it is an experience you will never forget.
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    I will join the chorus saying that a lot of the most common complaints about this game are exaggerated, if not outright false. I can understand that many were disappointed in some things, but it's hard to believe that many truly mean the incredibly low scores they have given the game.

To give a short, spoiler-free review and recommendation I would say this: The game is great. The writing, humor, puzzles, new physics elements, characters, voice work and graphics are all very nicely done. I believe that anyone who enjoyed playing the first game will greatly enjoy the time spent playing the second game.

But is it worth the price tag? That's the real question here - because the complaints about the length of the game do have some meat to them. The game isn't very long. Though it seems that Steam's timer is broken and it reports shorter playtime than what people have actually been putting in, you can still finish it in about 7-9 hours, depending on how quick you are in solving puzzles. If you have someone to play with you can add a few hours to that for co-op. And if you (like me) are crazy about Valve's excellent Director's Commentary, another couple of hours of enjoyment to go around listening to that.

All in all not a super short game (certainly not a mini-game like some reviews have called it) but it can definitely seem on the short side for the price tag. I don't think a game should be counted purely in hours though - the quality is definitely high in Portal 2's playtime, even if the quantity is a bit on the low side. Valve has as usual spent a lot of time and effort on playtesting, giving us an experience that is thoroughly refined. This is something I will always value higher than churning out as many levels/puzzles/maps as possible before release day.

So if you're like me and enjoy a high quality experience and have the money to spare, I do recommend it. If you feel that a full-price game needs to be longer to be worth it, I don't hesitate in recommending you to rather buy another, longer game now. As we all very well know, any game on Steam is liable to experience a huge drop in price at a sale sooner or later, so if you think the price tag is too high I'm certain that a lower price tag is waiting for you.

Now, regarding some of the other complaints in other reviews:

1) "In-game store is just inflating the price even higher!": Yes, Valve is selling useless DLC-content in an in-game store, just like they do in TF2. And just like in TF2 you are perfectly free to ignore that content. I will certainly not spend any money on it and you don't have to either - so the people tallying the DLC-content into the cost of the game are frankly just being silly.

2) "It's a worthless console port!": This was a complaint I was really surprised at. I was counting on people complaining about the price, length and store - but I do not get the idea that the PC/Mac-versions are bad console ports. The computer gaming market has (most unfortunately) been flooded with bad console ports of games for a long time now, and this really doesn't feel like one. Bad console ports are usually plagued by three things: Bad controls, stupid systems to save your game and sometimes really bad graphics. I do not see any of that in Portal 2. The graphics are, in my opinion, superb. The controls are just like the controls in any other Valve-FPS, not the crappy "gamepad oriented" controls we see in bad console ports. And you can save where you want, there is even a quicksave-button and none of those outdated checkpoint-systems that often plague console games. 3) "Argh, the stupid ARG was stupid and expensive too!": The complaints about Valve's pre-release-thing (with the whole Alternate Reality Game and indie-game-pack) are mostly nonsensical as well. Many say that the "potato hunt" and everything was just a silly marketing stunt. Which should only merit the response "Well, duh, what did you think?" Of course it was a marketing stunt! But it was also a fun event. A lot of us fans of strange indie-games already owned some of the games involved in the stunt and got some extra content and extra challenges to do, plus there was a huge sale on some great games. All in all a fun time to play games with some added challenges and collaborate for the silly project of getting Portal 2 released a few hours early. If you don't like that sort of thing you were not in any way, shape or form forced to participate, but I had a lot of fun.

Some people are again adding to the price tag of the game, including the indie games from the "potato sack" in the price for Portal 2 - which is again just silly. You were not required to buy them and if you did buy them without wanting them you have nobody to blame but yourself. I for one bought the ones that I already wanted, and enjoyed the discount - so no extra money spent there.
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    To me Portal 2 was great! Single player had a great storyline and a nice little twist. I am a big fan of Adventure, Action and storyline games! Multilayer will really tests you and your friends hard when it comes to some challenges.
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    If I could give a 9.5 I would. Portal 2 is a perfect blend of awesome story telling and puzzles without bombarding you with walls of text or codexes that you're expected to read and without making any puzzle too difficult. In many situations you feel like you cheat the system and find a way to complete a section that wasn't exactly the expected way the developers foresaw which in it ofIf I could give a 9.5 I would. Portal 2 is a perfect blend of awesome story telling and puzzles without bombarding you with walls of text or codexes that you're expected to read and without making any puzzle too difficult. In many situations you feel like you cheat the system and find a way to complete a section that wasn't exactly the expected way the developers foresaw which in it of itself is a great feeling. A fantastic ride the whole way though. The only nitpick I have is that it was too short! Expand
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    All I can say is that Portal 2 is a very pleasurable game to play! It's funny,challenging(sometimes easy).
    But I thank valve for not making it a low quality console game port for PC gamers! I don't regret buying this game. And the fact that Valve will release mods tools for it will make this game more amazing!
    Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air in an industry full of call of duty wanna

Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air in an industry full of call of duty wanna be's & gives us a FPS that's completely different from anything else!! A Puzzle shooter..

Also why are people mentioning Dragon Lame 2? When The Witcher 2 will stomp it on may 17th?

Valve knows how to make a fun game that is why Dota 2 get's me excited!

But anyway no game is perfect but Portal 2 is good in my book! I'll give it a great score..
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    Co-op is awesome. Solo campaign is more fun than anything Call of Duty has done since 4. Don't listen to the haters, extra cosmetic DLC does NOT make a game bad. If you loved Portal 1, you'll love this.
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    Well thought out sequel to an amazing sneak classic. Well worth the Portal name and the polish put into this game shows. From the beginning levels to the later chapters, the game is well thought out. The attention to detail in guiding newer players through the levels as the difficulty slowly increases is superb. Indie Game devs, take note. The game weighs in at a fair 6~7 hours ofWell thought out sequel to an amazing sneak classic. Well worth the Portal name and the polish put into this game shows. From the beginning levels to the later chapters, the game is well thought out. The attention to detail in guiding newer players through the levels as the difficulty slowly increases is superb. Indie Game devs, take note. The game weighs in at a fair 6~7 hours of play time. The real enjoyment for Co-Op lovers is the multiplayer mode. I can certainly see the current puzzles growing old, but there is obviously room for additional levels to be created and added at a later date.

Overall, well constructed game. The music, dialogue and level design are all put together well. This game certainly hasn't run away with it's own success. It acknowledges and grasps the 'test, we'll see' style of the original game.
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is awesome. Really, ignore these BS trolling reviews. This game is, by far, the best release of 2011. I am seriously in love with the COOP. I had the most fun in the multiplayer with my friend. So creative, innovative and fun. I typically don't review games on metacritic, but this game deserves a review way higher than a 7.6 (the freaking trolls are annoying). Also, this game hasThis game is awesome. Really, ignore these BS trolling reviews. This game is, by far, the best release of 2011. I am seriously in love with the COOP. I had the most fun in the multiplayer with my friend. So creative, innovative and fun. I typically don't review games on metacritic, but this game deserves a review way higher than a 7.6 (the freaking trolls are annoying). Also, this game has no DLC, it has items that HAS NO EFFECT ON GAMEPLAY that you can purchase). BUY IT. Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    They aren't trolling.

They aren't trolling.

This may be hard to believe, but they are actually people on /v/ and abroad the internet who believe what they're saying when they write 0 star reviews complaining about minor things like a store for optional, cosmetic, (in-game unlockable) skins and hats for robots. The opinions you're seeing here aren't a result of a "raid" but rather some legitimately deluded individuals who are allowing themselves to see only the negative parts of an otherwise nearly flawless game.

I'm not going to come here to praise the game, if you want that then just go read a professional review. I'm instead going to address the particular "issues" that these certain individuals have had, and give my own responses.

The biggest issue people seem to be having is with the so-called "DLC Store". This was something first seen in Team Fortress 2, where it stirred up nearly as much controversy.
    I'm not going to say I agree with it, because I don't. I will not be buying anything from there, and I would have preferred if Valve had not included it. This is part of the reason that I'm giving the game a 9 instead of a perfect 10. However, its inclusion did nothing to ruin my enjoyment of the game. Some people have said "The game immediately tries to suck you in to the store, and constantly reminds you of it". Well, I'm sorry, you must have played a different version than I did because I wasn't even -aware- of the Store's existence until I beat the game and poked around the menus. The store might be a big deal for me if it was selling, say, maps, or different game modes, or anything that would actually impact the gameplay. But that's not the case; in fact the store sells cosmetic hats and skins for your robots in co-op mode, all of which can be unlocked simply by playing the co-op mode in the first place. The store is only going to appeal to people with a large amount of disposable income, a group which I (and likely most people playing this) am not a part of, and therefore am not in the least bit concerned amount.

The next complaint I've heard about most, is that the game is too short. That's closer to a fair argument, the game costs a full $49.99 on PC, which while not the price for your yearly Call of Duty title, is still a pretty hefty fee. But consider that I played the singleplayer campaign at a normal pace (that is, I explored every room, listened to all the dialogue, and got stuck once or twice on certain puzzles) and it took me exactly 6 hours in one sitting to beat it. That's not too long, but by the end of it I was getting pretty tired with the puzzles, if the game had dragged on for another 6 hours I probably would have gotten sick of it. Quality over quantity, my friends. I'd prefer 6 hours of exceptional entertainment over 12+ hours of mediocre, repetitive puzzles.
    Then there's the co-op campaign, which I have yet to play I must admit. However, from what I've heard it takes about the same length of time, depending on how skilled you and/or your partner are. So in total you're getting about 12 hours of unique content. That's longer than Half-Life 2, and nobody called that a short game. In fact, I think 6 hours is about as long as Half-Life 2 was for me.

Finally, the last major complaint is about the ARG and people feeling like they were cheated with the "early release" Okay, I'll kind of agree with this one. I haven't been following the ARG myself, I leave that to the Internet Detectives who actually comprehend decoding radio signals and all that stuff. So, I can't really comment on the quality of that particular issue.
    As for the Potato Sack debacle and the not-so-early release, well.. I half agree. First of all, nobody forced anybody to buy those games. As well, a lot of people are complaining that "all that hard work we put into those games didn't pay off!".... You're joking, right? Have we fallen so far as a civilization that -PLAYING VIDEO GAMES- is considered work? Are you serious? I can't even begin to take that criticism serious.
    What I can relate to, is the disappointment over the release date. I'll agree, Valve made it seem as though playing those games would give us a much earlier release, more on the manner of days than hours. So I can understand people feeling cheated after paying for the games mostly for the result of getting Portal 2 out early, and yet not getting it in return, or at least not to the extent that they wanted. I'm willing to give Valve the benefit of the doubt, that they thought GLaDOS@Home would fill up quicker than she did, and actually wanted the game to release a few days earlier, but, still. A little disappointing.

In summary, just play the damn campaign. It's miles better than the original, which was a solid A+ game. You don't need me to tell you this.

To /v/ in particular, listen: I understand that we're still on the hate bandwagon after Dragon Age II, but I'd expect more from my comrades. You're making us look bad.
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is almost perfection incarnate. It is so densely packed with lovingly crafted environments, biting- laugh out loud humor, and challenging puzzle. It is easy to miss the entire context of the game as you rush from one puzzle to the next. On one particular level I heard a strange tonal beat that was almost a direct replication of Star Trek the motion picture, Vger is comingThis game is almost perfection incarnate. It is so densely packed with lovingly crafted environments, biting- laugh out loud humor, and challenging puzzle. It is easy to miss the entire context of the game as you rush from one puzzle to the next. On one particular level I heard a strange tonal beat that was almost a direct replication of Star Trek the motion picture, Vger is coming home indeed.

Overall:
    Everything a sequel should be, it's fun and irreverent, self referential and completely original.

Mild irritation:
    I didn't like the paint so much, it doesn't fit with the mechanics of the world, IE - it fails to to keep with the limited resource theme of 1 cube - 1 button and it isn't mechanical in nature. It would have been far more fitting to give us the gravity gun with limited pieces of acceleration tracks to lay down. It would have fit the theme far better.

So I thought I would point a few of the homages that I noticed in this game:
    Star Trek TMP- Music
    Cube - environments with homicidal tendencies
    HAL- obvious
    Bioshock - (maybe a mild spoiler )Cave Johnson
    Halflife- walking on pipes was like being back in Black Mesa, and the lovable headcrab sound is back.
    Zork Grand Inquisitor- the Wheatley character makes a nice lantern for exploring the underground.
    Silent Hill- Same mechanic with wheatley, a few seconds later,
    Mario- plumber pipes and the paint.
    TF2- All the wall posters.
    BSODs
    and so much more...
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    Going into the sequel of one of the greatest, most clever games ever made, I was ready to be accepting but still expected a great game. Dealing with expectations, Valve had to both continue the Portal tradition, keeping everything that made the first game great, while also bringing to life a completely new game that wouldn't seem copied. With a beautiful makeover, original humor thatGoing into the sequel of one of the greatest, most clever games ever made, I was ready to be accepting but still expected a great game. Dealing with expectations, Valve had to both continue the Portal tradition, keeping everything that made the first game great, while also bringing to life a completely new game that wouldn't seem copied. With a beautiful makeover, original humor that wasn't too tacky and over the top, and gameplay mechanics that were familiar yet still refreshing, Valve delivered. Everyone knew that this game could have gone wrong in so many little ways that might have killed it, like a tower so high that it must be perfectly crafted lest it fall over. Portal 2 was fantastically entertaining from start to finish, and the only problem you'll have after playing it is whether you want to jump into the full co-op campaign or start from the beginning again to catch all the wonders you only glimpsed the first time. Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    To put it simply, Portal 2 is and will be the BEST puzzle game of the entire year. What Valve has done with portal 2 is a thing of beauty. Not only have they captured that same feeling of accomplish and "woah that was awesome" from the first game, they have managed to make it seam completely fresh and new even to a veteran portal player like me. By adding in extra features, that at firstTo put it simply, Portal 2 is and will be the BEST puzzle game of the entire year. What Valve has done with portal 2 is a thing of beauty. Not only have they captured that same feeling of accomplish and "woah that was awesome" from the first game, they have managed to make it seam completely fresh and new even to a veteran portal player like me. By adding in extra features, that at first glance could seem not much different when compared to the first game, they have added immensely to the experience and combine that with the funniest characters ive seen in a game in a LONG time and the hated but at the same time loved antagonist "GLaDOS", you have the recipe of an outstanding game. Oh! did i also mention that Portal 2 includes a fully fledged Co-op Campaign with its own separate storyline? Its a blast when you and a buddy are playing side by side solving the puzzle chambers. Its even more satisfying because the addition of two more portals makes every puzzle chamber an even tougher exercise that makes you and your buddy shout "YES!" after you solved the seemingly impossible task that was set to you. Bottom line? Its everything you wanted from the first game and a whole lot more and if you're new to the series then your experience with portal 2 will stay with you forever. 10/10 Expand
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazingly well written game, well polished and a huge amount of fun to play. The puzzles are well thought out, and can be VERY challenging. Graphics on both PC and PS3 are very good. A lot more game play than the first portal, all of it heaps of fun. Funny and witty comments from both GLaDOS and Wheatley make the game even more enjoyable. Definite 10/10 from me. Multi-player is alsoAmazingly well written game, well polished and a huge amount of fun to play. The puzzles are well thought out, and can be VERY challenging. Graphics on both PC and PS3 are very good. A lot more game play than the first portal, all of it heaps of fun. Funny and witty comments from both GLaDOS and Wheatley make the game even more enjoyable. Definite 10/10 from me. Multi-player is also awesome, and there are a lot of achievements for it as well as the single player achievements. Expand
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    Just as Portal 1, pure genius. Great story, plays & looks very pretty... I am enjoying every part of it.... Kudos to Valve for again creating a top-notch game!!

Recommended to everyone with somewhat of a puzzle mind & humor :)
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    This review is meant for those who waited to see the reaction before buying this game. Coming from a dedicated PC gamer who has played a large assortment of games of every type, I will tell you that Portal 2 is something special. Where the first game taught us to think with portals, this game perfects the original formula, and also gives players a new set of testing mechanics. ThroughThis review is meant for those who waited to see the reaction before buying this game. Coming from a dedicated PC gamer who has played a large assortment of games of every type, I will tell you that Portal 2 is something special. Where the first game taught us to think with portals, this game perfects the original formula, and also gives players a new set of testing mechanics. Through it all, Portal 2 is the most polished PC game I have ever played, and manages to look amazing while continuing the snarky, funny, amazing storyline that was set up by its predecessor.

Reasons to Play:

Story: Aperture Science has changed, but Valve's commitment to immersive gaming remains at the forefront.
    Dialog: Following an act like Glados was a hard thing to do. No game could really have matched the original game, but the successor appropriately followed it up, and drove home the fact that you never left Aperture Science, and that they are still the strange, hilarious, OSHA violating people you knew and loved, and their announcements still show it handily.
    GFX: Portal was pretty in its own way, but a limited team and limited time translated to limited resources to work with, so complaints of monotony arose. There is no such problem here. Aperture Science looks wonderful, in its own crumbling, disastrous way. In my opinion, a decrepit research facility has never looked more beautiful.

Addressing complaints:
    Length: The single player campaign lasted me 8 hours, and should easily last most people at least 7. That is the single player section of the game, and I have yet to try Cooperative. That's the length of the original several times over, yet people are complaining loudly about this. Part of the reason, and my reason to laugh at people like this, is addressed in the next section.
    Price: At $45 Steam preorder, Portal 2 wasn't a cheap game. Still, there are several things that should be noted here. Take the original Modern Warfare. It took me 5 hours my first playthrough, and yet it sold for pretty much the same price as far as I remember, and no one complained as loudly or unjustly as people have here. In the end, Portal 2 is not as long as something like Half-Life 2, but keep in mind, few people actually do make games of that length. Guess which company is one of the few who have done so lately? Valve, right...

Buy Portal 2. If $50 is asking a bit much, wait for December. If Valve follows their pattern (ie, L4D, L4D2), it will probably drop to $20 semipermanently around that point. Of course, by then it will probably be hopelessly spoiled for you... At any rate, it's worth it.
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    this is perfection in a video game. solo campaign length is perfect, not too long, not too short. the co-op campaign is pure genius. the voice acting is the shining star of this series and the talent brought in for portal 2 delivers. stars like j.k. simmons and stephen merchant bring these invisible characters to live. well done valve well done.
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve tweaks Portal's minimalist formula to deliver a full blown epic with a story filled with betrayal, dark humor, human emotion from robots, some shocking character revelations and genuine fun. All the while, the game's central mechanic remains as engaging as ever thanks to the introduction of some new puzzle mechanics such as tractor beams, light bridges, lasers and fling plates.

The

The game looks absolutely beautiful. Valve's Source engine shines here, as GLaDOS rebuilds test chambers before your eyes. Debris falls realistically, the animations are eye catching as panels rearrange themselves, and as always the textures are wonderfully crafted. In Portal, we got to see the inner workings of Aperture Science's Testing Facility - a labyrinth of pipes, pistons and concrete. It made for very evocative atmospheric conditions, but in Portal 2 Valve outdoes themselves. The game takes place far in the future, and the run down Aperture Science facilities are exposed as giant rectangular structures in the center of a vast, vast abyss beneath the ground. This is one of the most visually breathtaking sights in any video game today.

One of Portal's greatest strengths was its writing. The silent protagonist is a long accepted gaming axiom, and Valve does not deviate here or in the original, so the spotlight is on the sadistic AI who serves as the test coordinator, GLaDOS. Every line she speaks dripping with sardonic, dark humor, GLaDOS constantly references the player's murder of her at the end of the original game, but always is willing to put the past behind them. For science. You monster. There is a lot more than just GLaDOS here, though. A cheery little AI named Wheatley - voiced by the wonderful Stephen Merchant - provides an excellent sidekick, with a very clumsy quality to him that makes him rather endearing. In one of the game's greatest segments, the player travels to Aperture's old test chambers from the 70s and is guided by the recorded voice of Cave Johnson, Aperture's late founder and CEO. Johnson is voiced by the unmatched J.K. Simmons, who breathes life into the recordings to rival even GLaDOS. While all three characters pull off wonderful moments of humor, the game really shines in its character development. The way the three interact with each other - and, more importantly, the player - creates a surprisingly emotional series of events. The grand finale left me genuinely sad, for instance, and a number of the plot twists left me stunned. GLaDOS once again steals the show. I won't spoil how, but suffice to say a grand deal of backstory and development is pumped into the AI through the course of the game.

Now to the main event - the puzzles! Portal was one of the most innovative platformers, and Portal 2 does not disappoint in the least. Some of the early levels are clones of the initial levels we played in Portal, and it takes no time at all to get reacquainted with the Portal Gun. The basic mechanics are the same, which is good, since the game throws new mechanics at us almost instantly. The MVP here are the gels - three paint-like substances that have special powers. Blue paint ("Repulsion Gel") makes one jump and bounce higher when landing on it, red paint makes one run faster across it, and white paint allows one to put portals on any surface covered in it. The three make for some truly intriguing puzzles that make for wonderful new test chambers.

In addition to gels, we have lasers. Lasers are the spiritual successor to the energy balls from the original game (which are, regrettably, absent). They can be redirected with special cubes into power receptors that activate power lines. Light bridges provide impenetrable fences against turrets as well as a surface upon which to walk. Tractor beams do exactly what they sound like they should do, and can be directed with portals for some interesting platforming.

The chambers are innovative and a number had me stumped for an hour or more at times. The single player can probably be completed within seven hours for a truly dedicated gamer trying to get to the end, but I spent a good eleven hours playing it and listening to all the dialogue. There is also a wonderfully inventive co-op campaign that words cannot do justice - it must be experienced.

Portal 2 is one of the greatest games ever released, and a must have for fans of the original, fans of platformers, and gamers in general.
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    Don't let the entitled /v/ trolls fool you, this is easily the best game of the year so far. The story is superb, and the characters are some of the most memorable you'll ever find, with fantastic voice acting. They really brought this game to life with the attention to detail, incredible environments, and cinematic quality. The puzzles were as mind-bending as they were entertaining. AllDon't let the entitled /v/ trolls fool you, this is easily the best game of the year so far. The story is superb, and the characters are some of the most memorable you'll ever find, with fantastic voice acting. They really brought this game to life with the attention to detail, incredible environments, and cinematic quality. The puzzles were as mind-bending as they were entertaining. All the time they spent on this sequel paid off tenfold. Expand
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    This is no game, this is a new type of entertainment with maximum usage of brain, even it contains comedy and epic story ! A must buy not only for Portal/Valve fan.
  40. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is a unique puzzle game. It had a huge predecessor to live up to and although it doesn't quite have the same impact it certainly is still a fantastic purchase worth your time. Let me start by saying ignore the people who gave the game a 0 or a low score when they have one minor gripe about it i.e. ARG. I'd much rather people judged the game as a whole.

The puzzles are

The puzzles are admittedly a bit on the easy side, and although they never get boring, more seasoned players may find the lack of challenge a slight disappointment. The story and humour, on the other hand keep things interesting for the bulk of the campaign. Co-op is unexpectedly the highlight of the game, and playing with a friend certainly does take the experience to a whole new level, particularly as puzzles are especiallly made for the shared play. There is a level of ingenuity involved in the design, but there is nothing remotely frustrating, so there will be small chance of any couch fights between you and your partner.

Unfortunately the combined singe-player and co-op campaigns clocked to about eightish hours on total, and I assume this would be about the time taken for most players. The problem with a puzzle game of this nature is that once you've solved one, there is no reason why you would feel motivated to play again.

Despite the next to nil replayability and lack of sufficient challenger, Portal 2 is fun whilst it lasts and the fun story and ever-changing gameplay mechanics (including the new gels!) make it a memorable experience while it lasts and well worth a purchase for any gamer who wants to have an entertaining time
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    i can't help but think those who voted this game down simply did so because they either a) couldn't get through the game because the puzzles were too difficult and felt the need to punish valve for their own incompetence b) automatically dislike anything the general public likes because they view their own opinion as 'unique' only if it conflicts with everyone else, or c) are just plaini can't help but think those who voted this game down simply did so because they either a) couldn't get through the game because the puzzles were too difficult and felt the need to punish valve for their own incompetence b) automatically dislike anything the general public likes because they view their own opinion as 'unique' only if it conflicts with everyone else, or c) are just plain crazy.

this game was a BLAST. the puzzles were challenging, yet fun and rewarding. the story line was engrossing and entertaining. the humor was sadistic and ever-present, and the co-op made me LAUGH TILL I CRIED at the joy of sending teammates to their untimely deaths at the hands of the game's deadly environs. was it short? a bit, but this game was an experience worthy of valve's reputation for quality, and definitely worth the $50. if you have the patience and mental faculties to wrap your mind around game play mechanics not found in any other game to solve some very interesting and challenging puzzles, and you just love good games, buy this one. if you don't like it, refer to my first statement.
  42. Apr 21, 2011
    I loved the game, I think it could have been a bit longer as well, I got it for Xbox and I won't ever download or by DLC Content and its killing games hand down and everyone know it.. DLC make people slack. But portal 2 was good and i loved it.
  43. Apr 21, 2011
    I'll give this game a solid 8.0. I'm no fan boy, nor am I a Valve enthusiast. I simply enjoyed the first game, and I figured they couldn't go wrong with a second, and I was right about that. Also, pay no attention to those voting this as less than < 3, as they are likely mad about Valve wooing them into buying the $35 indie games pack with hoped to release the game early.

There are many

There are many pros to this game, with a main focus on the dialogue. I laughed numerous times, especially when GLaDOS and Wheatley were conversing with each other, and also Cave Johnson is a brilliant character. The new mechanics were also a breath of fresh air. Playing Portal (1) right before my copy arrived, I was already used to the old mechanics, then the addition of the refracting cubes, and gels, and the tractor beams, it really started to become a better puzzle than "place portal A, place portal B, walk through, win." It was more of a "I need to get that gel over here, what would be the best way to do so?" Even with all these additions, Valve never made you feel lost with what you needed to do. Everything was introduced in a timely manner so that you had time to learn the functions of something before you were forced to use something new. My only gripe that I have with this game is the out dated engine. Valve really needs to step back and think about coding a new engine to use in its new games. I realize they're likely to change it after Half Life 2: Episode 3 is released, but they should have either released that already or they should have written a new code to be used for Portal 2 exclusively then used for the next release of the Half life franchise (Half Life 3 if you will). This is what prompted the -2 on the review, because a 7 year old engine really needs to be fixed. It was great at the time of its conception, but now its almost ancient in comparison to today's standards.
  44. Apr 21, 2011
    In short; Portal 2 is a funny, entertaining, and delightfully challenging game well worth anyone's time.

The Game has a great sense of humor and undeniable charm to it. It balances great atmosphere, memorable characters, witty writing, and always changing but never dull gameplay. It's truly a work of art how well everything is weaved and balanced together, and is easily the best game of the year so far.

The one downside I can think about it is that it has very little replay value. While other full priced games such as Gears of War might have a single player campaign as long as if not shorter than Portal 2's, at least it offers a variety of difficulty levels and a competitive multi-player. While Portal 2 does offer co-op, there is very little incentive to replay it after beating it once.

If you played and loved Portal 1, I don't think you would regret paying full price for this. If you're interested but not sure if you will like the game, I would say wait for a few price drops. Regardless of the price though, it is a great game to experience.
  45. Apr 21, 2011
    Everything in Portal 2 is awesome. Gameplay is even better than in the original, graphics are better.... There is always something going on in maps, so many small details. Anyone who gave this red score is a troll or hater or insane or something.
  46. Apr 21, 2011
    PORTAL 2 IS THE BEST GAME IN THE HISTORY OF GAMES!!!!

PORTAL 2 IS THE BEST GAME IN THE HISTORY OF GAMES!!!!

The graphics and storyline are totally ground breaking and humorous. This is the first game I have ever played that actually lived up to the hype. The potatoe sack game collection was pure genius even offering early release of portal2 for collecting potatoes in each of the potatoe sack collection, brilliant!!! The coop is more fun than Ive ever had in any other game and the puzzles are awesome... I gasp with worry and anticipation everytime I enter a new level.

The store... well I feel that offering swag such as tshirt is cool. However, nickle and dimeing for ingame content is a bit pan-hand-lish and should be removed. I mean your asking people that shelled out about $50 for the game to pay more for intangibles that should be included in the experience. Fix that and your perfect. 99.9 out of 100, get rid of the nickle and dimeing and you can have the 100.
  47. Apr 21, 2011
    A stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storylineA stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storyline stringent and refreshing.

This is a 10/10 game in my book. BUT since Valve decided to become a complete money-whore with A) the ridiculous potato-sack ARG , B) the price tag of 50 **** Euros and most of all C) the shameless introduction of the absolutely retarded In-Game-Shop (I should pay for skins and animations? Are you **** kidding me Valve?), I will have to deduct at least 1 point, because only one of those points actually relates to the game itself, the other two just make me angry *wrrrrrrrr*

Nine points then.
  48. Apr 21, 2011
    Another absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of theAnother absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of the benevolent and comical GLaDOS amongst an array of new and wonderfully voiced characters. Content is also provided in a healthy sum as once the single player campaign is completed, players can move on to the equally as lengthy and outstanding cooperative campaign. Portal 2 Vehemently pulls itself ahead of the crowd and will please newcomers to the franchise along with fans of the Brilliant and innovative first game a like, it is an exceptional game to say the least and will provide endless hours of fun. Expand
  49. Apr 21, 2011
    Great characters, creative narrative, and excellent gameplay. What more could you want? I've been waiting for this game ever since I saw the first 15 minutes of gameplay, and was NOT disappointed.
  50. 2tm
    Apr 21, 2011
    I was very impressed with Portal 2, pretty much all of the quips I had with the original game were fixed. The only thing I didn't like about Portal 2 is that the portals have their outlines visible through walls and I had to set a command line parameter to turn that off.
  51. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve did it again. They have showed the world how incredible great they can produce Story, game play, Graphics and feeling. But we all knew this already. Valve always makes great games. But i cant believe that im impressed this fu**** hard AGAIN. Everything thing fits together here. Story, characters, humor, feeling, atmosphere. This Game was awesome and I can just recommend it toValve did it again. They have showed the world how incredible great they can produce Story, game play, Graphics and feeling. But we all knew this already. Valve always makes great games. But i cant believe that im impressed this fu**** hard AGAIN. Everything thing fits together here. Story, characters, humor, feeling, atmosphere. This Game was awesome and I can just recommend it to everyone out there, Portal 2 is a game you shouldn't miss. Expand
  52. Apr 21, 2011
    Great puzzle game and great characters. It took me about 8 hours to beat the single player story and I didn't really get stuck anywhere. The puzzles are generally pretty easy if you're familiar with the mindset of how a portal works from the first game. They did introduce some new mechanics with "gels" which stick to surfaces and have modify the surfaces to have special properties. IfGreat puzzle game and great characters. It took me about 8 hours to beat the single player story and I didn't really get stuck anywhere. The puzzles are generally pretty easy if you're familiar with the mindset of how a portal works from the first game. They did introduce some new mechanics with "gels" which stick to surfaces and have modify the surfaces to have special properties. If you're wary of the $49.99 price tag (Steam) because you've never played portal before, I'd suggest picking up the Portal 1 first. If you have played the first portal, I suspect you'll have a similar opinion as you did for the first one because it plays almost the same. I haven't played the co-op mode yet (and probably won't), but the single-player story might get one more playthrough. Also Stephen Merchant is hilarious. Expand
  53. Apr 21, 2011
    Without a doubt in my mind does this game live up to the sequel. It's out right hilarious, the puzzles are genuinely fun to work on, the story is great, the graphics are fantastic, the sound is perfectly placed, and I was literally smiling the entire way through the game (except a few puzzles that had me stumped for a bit ;) ). Anyone reading the user reviews should see that most of theWithout a doubt in my mind does this game live up to the sequel. It's out right hilarious, the puzzles are genuinely fun to work on, the story is great, the graphics are fantastic, the sound is perfectly placed, and I was literally smiling the entire way through the game (except a few puzzles that had me stumped for a bit ;) ). Anyone reading the user reviews should see that most of the negative ones are for silly, stupid reasons that aren't based on the actual game. THE GAME is fantastic, and that is what a review should be on. Enjoy ^_^ Expand
  54. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 built his foundation on the original game and it's perfectly right to be doing so. It remain loyal to the original while aiming in new directions. The story took a big leap, the atmosphere took a big leap, etc. The main problem that I have with the game is that it also built itself too likely to the original on one aspect. Portal was a proof of concept. It was short and justPortal 2 built his foundation on the original game and it's perfectly right to be doing so. It remain loyal to the original while aiming in new directions. The story took a big leap, the atmosphere took a big leap, etc. The main problem that I have with the game is that it also built itself too likely to the original on one aspect. Portal was a proof of concept. It was short and just showed the capacities of the concept. Before I go on, let me point out I've only played single player. Portal 2 on the other hand, keeps those foundations and this valid concept and expands it adding new features like the gel, the plates and such. The downside is that these features feel like they weren't fully explored. It still feels like a lot of these could have offered more from the start. This also brings the fact that the game feels short. I won't blame them too much for this since making it longer would have caused some down times on the story affecting it's perfect pacing.

On and on, it just feels that at launch, Portal 2 offers use but a tease of what all these new features together could bring to the franchise. Knowing Valve, they'll probably release free expansions after a few months. Still, very good game and it's impressive the amount of content packed in those 5-6 hours it might get you to complete. Definitely a must buy
  55. Apr 21, 2011
    I was afraid. The original Portal was incredible not only because of its innovative gameplay and GLaDOS's wit but because of the way it completely blindsided me with a truck full of awesome that I never saw coming. We knew there were portals, but what we didn't expect was the personality. Even the CREDITS were amazing.

But with the opportunity to surprise replaced with the burden of

But with the opportunity to surprise replaced with the burden of expectation, how on earth could a sequel even hope to match this experience?

Leave it to Valve Software. What was lost in freshness was made up for tenfold with superb characters, hilarious writing, and the most incredible dynamic environments ever seen in a video game. The environments... My God... If the Source engine still looks this good and can be this flexible six years after its introduction, everyone in charge of developing it should get a Nobel Prize.

I don't think there is another development house in existence that could have pulled it off. All hail Valve, Portal 2 is awesome, go get it.
  56. Apr 21, 2011
    BEST game I've ever played!
    And the thing that adds a lot more to the fun, is the fact that its not over!
    Why not? Because the Portal 2 SDK will release soon, means a lot of people will make maps!
    For Single player or Co op! THE END NEVER ENDS :)
  57. Apr 21, 2011
    This was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitantThis was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitant amount of money little trinkets on your robots cost.They should've follow the tf2 model, and had there be random drops for completing levels or something akin to that, along with the store. The coop campaign is far too short for that crap to really matter anyways. Hopefully they add more levels to it, because as it is now, i probably wont play the game again for a long while. Expand
  58. Apr 21, 2011
    All that was great about Portal with new puzzlements to mix it up, and an awesome co-op mode. Delves deeper into the background of Aperture Science while exploring a much larger portion of the facility. I meant to only play half an hour before going to bed on the night it was released, but instead ended up playing a few hours into the middle of the night. Single player took about 6 hoursAll that was great about Portal with new puzzlements to mix it up, and an awesome co-op mode. Delves deeper into the background of Aperture Science while exploring a much larger portion of the facility. I meant to only play half an hour before going to bed on the night it was released, but instead ended up playing a few hours into the middle of the night. Single player took about 6 hours to complete, and I am now replaying with developer commentary. Expand
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the perfect game. With good story and (for me) best than every byte of Half-Life. And those who gives low notes, stop. The only thing that make me so happy is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. A perfect 10.0.

10.0
  60. Apr 21, 2011
    I think Valve hit the nail again. This is a sheer unique and innovate title that does it all. It's funny, smart and the voices by Merchant (Wheatley), and Mcclain (Glados) compounds to the brilliance of Portal 2. Also, the storyline is well written and definitely hooks you to the game. As for the length, I'd say you are probably looking at about 8-10 hours of campaign, and then 5-6 hoursI think Valve hit the nail again. This is a sheer unique and innovate title that does it all. It's funny, smart and the voices by Merchant (Wheatley), and Mcclain (Glados) compounds to the brilliance of Portal 2. Also, the storyline is well written and definitely hooks you to the game. As for the length, I'd say you are probably looking at about 8-10 hours of campaign, and then 5-6 hours of Co-op. Don't look at the negative reviews, this is a must buy title. One of the best games this generation without a doubt. Expand
  61. Apr 21, 2011
    Just normal work I would expect from Valve, A great storyline with great length of 9-10 hours If you don't speed-run the game, or beat it in one day (It took me 2 days to beat it, Roughly 5 hours each of those days) and actually don't know what to do the first time around, after beating this game, I feel like I need to play through it again to find everything I missed, and have a bit moreJust normal work I would expect from Valve, A great storyline with great length of 9-10 hours If you don't speed-run the game, or beat it in one day (It took me 2 days to beat it, Roughly 5 hours each of those days) and actually don't know what to do the first time around, after beating this game, I feel like I need to play through it again to find everything I missed, and have a bit more fun with the 3 gels you can use in the game, I think It was well worth its $50 and can't wait until a other Valve game comes out, because I will most likely play Valve's next game, after seeing some real work instead of a action game for once, Well, I hope you enjoyed my review on Portal 2, I actually Liked this, and suggest that you buy more of Valve's work, go on Steam and spend some money on their great games, I sure made a great choice by Pre-Ordering Portal 2 instead of some other game. P.S. If you don't want the game spoiled, Buy it before some dumb-ass can! Expand
  62. Apr 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first portal was an amazing experience and the second game does not disappoint. From the first levels ripped right out of the first game to show you how the enrichment center has changed to firing a portal to the freaking moon this game kept me entertained and interested the whole way through. The learning curve is also much improved, introducing concepts more organically and at a perfect pace. Expand
  63. Apr 21, 2011
    Great game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. ButGreat game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. But this is a review of how good of a game this is, not if it's pricing is appropriate. Overall, another great game from Valve. P.S. I don't see what the big deal is about there being hats available on the first day to purchase - I could see what people were complaining about if it was extra levels or something (though I still wouldn't agree), but it's purely cosmetic - you can still play the entire game without even noticing a difference without a hat. As another aside, it doesn't feel at all like a console port - no idea what people are talking about in reference to that. Expand
  64. Apr 21, 2011
    The story - "Valve-styled". It made me play all evening and, after that , all night long...
    Graphics - one of the strongest sides of this game. I'm still affected by these maps with VERY HUGE spaces. I'VE NEVER SEEN anything like this before!!!! It is still mis-understandable how can these maps load in ~10 seconds?! I'm also puzzled how can these maps fit into my notebook video card's memory which is only 256-mb, high-detailed?!
    Defects: 1. Game often shuted down. But I suppose that is a bug of my non-legal copy.
    2. The first 10-15 testchambers are really boring! But I understand that they are created of some unique idiots who will buy the second Portal without playing the first one! But as for me, it is really annoying!
    This game EXCEEDED ALL IMAGINABLE EXPECTATIONS!!!!
    Well, there are many small defects in this game, so I'd better rate "9", but this game really affected me... Then the only mark I can give is "10"!
    P.S.:Yes, I'm definitely buying official copy...
  65. Apr 21, 2011
    Most immersive best experience you will ever have playing a game.Im speaking for all crowds. Great Co-op, single player mode is hilarious, intuitive and solid. Recommended for everyone! Everyone likes cake right??

P.S. Trollers be trollin. DO NOT listen to the negative reviews of this game. If there is any exception of dismissing bad reviews for a game, now is the best time. If you dont want the DLC dont **** buy it. Does it really matter if this is mixed with the console port? Its still the same great game. 0 doesnt count as a legit review just because you decided you wanted to buy the potato sack (which was optional). Quit whining and enjoy what could be the best game of the year.
  66. Apr 21, 2011
    This is possibly the best game I've ever played in my entire life. It looks, feels, and has the framerate of a movie. Admittedly, it is easier than Portal, but the environments, humor, and story make the entire experience simply incredible.
  67. Apr 22, 2011
    Absolutely sublime. I went into it looking to find flaws. I do with every game I play. I could not find one thing that wasn't just amazingly fun. Every puzzle in every room is crafted to be just the right difficulty, and it has some genuine moments of pure adrenaline rushing. Not to mention the perfect writing. This could very well be one of the greatest games I have ever played, and IAbsolutely sublime. I went into it looking to find flaws. I do with every game I play. I could not find one thing that wasn't just amazingly fun. Every puzzle in every room is crafted to be just the right difficulty, and it has some genuine moments of pure adrenaline rushing. Not to mention the perfect writing. This could very well be one of the greatest games I have ever played, and I have played a lot. Expand
  68. Apr 22, 2011
    If you didn't like Portal then this game isn't for you, but if you did then this you should definitely get this game. The gameplay is a lot like the first, but the difficulty of the later puzzles, is far greater that any in the first. While the first game was great, it felt short, and left you wanting more, and this game doesn't. The story is actually there, and offers many things up toIf you didn't like Portal then this game isn't for you, but if you did then this you should definitely get this game. The gameplay is a lot like the first, but the difficulty of the later puzzles, is far greater that any in the first. While the first game was great, it felt short, and left you wanting more, and this game doesn't. The story is actually there, and offers many things up to debate, although hopefully those questions will be answered when episode 3 comes out (cause it is totally going to come out right Gabe....). This game stayed true to the original while offering a lot of new content. This game also gives us more insight on GlaDOS, and well I don't want to spoil anything, but I can say that I feel a lot better about her now. I cannot stress enough though that this game is a true sequel to the first, it knows what it is, and it doesn't try and change that, and for fans that is great, but again if you did not like the first, you probably won't like this one, and if you do you probably don't want to risk spending 50 dollars on it. I thought it was worth it, but I loved the first. Expand
  69. Apr 22, 2011
    I think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what winI think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what win aganinst the CS:S and HL2 (The most waited and most played FPS game ever in Steam). Expand
  70. Apr 22, 2011
    Firstly, i like would like to point out, no one has to buy the dlc if they do not wish to. Secondly, in many ways, charging players for dlc that does not effect the way you play a game at all, is better than charging for a new map pack or say some new weapons. The people who choose not to purchase cosmetic items do not actually lose out on any aspect of the game play, it is merely anFirstly, i like would like to point out, no one has to buy the dlc if they do not wish to. Secondly, in many ways, charging players for dlc that does not effect the way you play a game at all, is better than charging for a new map pack or say some new weapons. The people who choose not to purchase cosmetic items do not actually lose out on any aspect of the game play, it is merely an option for those who wish to do so.

Onto the review...

I gave this a 10/10 not because i believe it to be a flawless title, in all honesty if i were being completely accurate i would give it an 8 or a 9, though probably the latter. The reason I am giving it a 10/10 is because i believe the grounds on which some people (all 200 and something) are giving it ridiculously low scores are unfair and biased against the game, and not taking it for what it is, and i would like to try and raise the overall score to something more accurate, something that new players will look at and go, wow, i should play this game.

This is because I believe EVERYONE, should play this game, it takes what was essentially a fantastic experiment, and turns it into what is one of the best gaming titles ever released, it is a humorous, empowering, visual spectacle that is most importantly fun.

As has been stated by many people, critics and fans alike, Valve have succeeded in making more believable and lovable (as well as hate-able) characters than most other modern games on the market, and they succeeded in doing this with robots. Wheatley is downright hilarious (as are the turrets) and GlaDos is as chilling as ever, though things step up a notch when everything turns on its head and this game provided me some of the more memorable moments i have had related to gaming (a certain bird related incident) The other new characters are similarly engaging.

Visually this game is a tremendous success, i find it staggering that the source engine was able to achieve in this game, the visual fidelity and dynamic-ness is unbelievable, especially on such an old engine. I cannot think of a single game in which the environment feels more alive (and you have to remember that the majority of the game takes place in underground sterile test chambers) this game cannot be compared to something like crysis but it is still beautiful.

The map design is top-notch, the portal gun is as fun and empowering as ever, the new gameplay elements are excellent, and each test once solved still leaves you with a tremendous sense of success.

Good work Valve, just waiting on Half Life 2 Episode 3 now!
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    Another piece of brilliance from valve, the interactions between the player, Glados and Wheatley are fantastically written (and let us not forget Cave Johnson) and the puzzles are always challenging without being punishing. Don't listen to the naysayers regarding the length, it's perfectly paced without any unnecessary filler and by the end you'll wish it never ended.
  72. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant. The length is perfect. Any longer and it would start to get boring. The story drives the game and has some good plot twists. The voice acting is top notch and the characters pull off some very funny lines. Portal 2 improves every aspect from portal 1 and is a must buy.
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks.
    Amazing and really personal gameplay.
    Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign. Did i already say this game is amazing? Definetely Valves best game at the moment! Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks.
    Amazing and really personal gameplay.
    Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign.

Did i already say this game is amazing?
    Definetely Valves best game at the moment!

Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they were maps, or weapons..

And about the lenght of the game.. Singleplayer took me about 7 ½ hours with no breaks, multiplayer about 5. Steam said it only took me 6 to do both, so it's obviously not working. Oh, back on topic. This game is AMAZING and i feel like every penny that i paid for this was worth it!

A M A Z I N G.
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal was one of the best games I ever played. Portal 2 isn't soo innovative but it's longer than the first and have some new things and a fun coop mode. It's expensive but his price will be going down with the time and steam will make offer (games with the same price when it get into the market actually price is 10-15â
  75. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Just finished the game last night, clocked in at roughly 10 hours of gameplay. That's shorter than I'd like, but it seems to be about average for a game these days. And I haven't even touched the co-op yet... So I'm thinking I got my money's worth. Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of time it takes you to finish will vary quite a bit depending on how quickly you solve those puzzles. I found the puzzles to be rather easy for the first half of the game... Didn't really get stumped until I wound up in the old laboratories playing with the various gels. So it's entirely possible you'll get more (or less) gameplay out of it.

The puzzle difficulty was pretty much spot-on for me. Far less of the twitchy puzzles that required lighting reflexes and good aim to drop a portal right where you needed it while sailing through the air. Less puzzles that required quick thinking under tight time constraints. More puzzles that allowed you to examine a situation and figure out the best solution on your own timetable. The puzzles were generally challenging. Generally required some thought. But weren't so frustrating that I wanted to rip my hair out. And, once they'd been solved, the solutions always made perfect sense.

The graphics are a terrific improvement over the first game. Not just in pure graphic quality, but in the way they're used. The upper reaches of Aperture Laboratories take on a personality of their own... The shifting panels become an extension of GLaDOS, and convey her emotions as you work your way through the test chambers. The contrast between the decaying test chambers in the beginning, then the well-maintained test chambers, then the abandoned chambers below, and finally the malfunctioning chambers at the end... It conveys a real sense of character. As if the facility itself is another character in the game. You can feel how Aperture Science has changed and grown over the years.

Of course you've got your ASHPD, and the portals it creates. And they still work the way you'd expect them to. But Portal 2 adds a few new twists to the old formula...

You've got "aerial faith plates" which act as catapults and launch you across the room... A new kind of block that allows you to re-direct the thermal discouragement beams... Repulsion gel, that works kind of like flubber and causes you to bounce high into the air... Propulsion gel speeds you up as you run across it... Conversion gel turns any surface into a portal-able surface... Excursion funnels, which act as a tunnel or conveyor belt... Light bridges, that do exactly what it says on the tin...

And all of these new toys are combined with your portals, to create some truly mind-bending puzzles and solutions.

Along the way you'll learn more about GLaDOS, and Aperture Science... You'll meet Wheatley, and hear from Cave Johnson himself. You get a peek behind the curtain, and get a good look at just what makes all these test chambers work the way they do. And, of course, you get insulted at just about every step of the way. The same dark humor that made the original Portal so much fun is back again.

There was an ARG that led up to the release of Portal 2... Some folks are counting that against Portal 2 in their reviews... I think that's a little silly. Give it a few months or years and nobody is even going to remember there was an ARG at all. What'll linger - what we paid good money for - is the Portal 2 game itself.

There is a cash DLC store in Portal 2, and it was there on launch day. In other games this might have annoyed me... If I pay $60 for a new game, I expect pretty much everything to be there on the disc. I don't want to go home and find out there's another mission or quest available if I spend another $5 here or $10 there. However, the DLC is all purely cosmetic stuff - hats and skins and gestures for the co-op. None of it actually adds to or changes the gameplay. So I'm not too worried about the DLC this time around.

All things considered, Portal 2 is at least as good as the original - if not better. Definitely an entertaining way to waste a few hours. Certainly worth the money I paid for it.
  76. Apr 22, 2011
    Absolutely amazing game. Game is well written, levels are terrific, character voices are hilarious. You really feel a sense of accomplishment when you figure them out.
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    Its sad to know that probably that the game of the year already came out. Portal 2 is simply so far ahead in terms of originality, game design, story writing, characterization and level design than almost every other videogame out there that I am starting to think that it might be not worth my times to play games that are not made by Valve.
  78. Apr 22, 2011
    When I saw the user reviews for this game, I was confused. What was all this "DLC" fuzz about? Paid DLC on PC? Valve would never, I say, never do such a thing. Cosmetic items for multiplayer yes, but DLC, no. So when I got home from vacation, I fired up Portal 2 yesterday and started playing. What a wonderful game. And certainly not a mediocre game that deserves less than 5/10. AnyoneWhen I saw the user reviews for this game, I was confused. What was all this "DLC" fuzz about? Paid DLC on PC? Valve would never, I say, never do such a thing. Cosmetic items for multiplayer yes, but DLC, no. So when I got home from vacation, I fired up Portal 2 yesterday and started playing. What a wonderful game. And certainly not a mediocre game that deserves less than 5/10. Anyone giving a score that low has no credibility and they are simply just butthurt or misinformed.

Anyways, the game is without a doubt fantastic. The controls are smooth, the graphics are gorgeous (The Source Engine still stands as one of the best graphics and physics engines on the market), the sound is glorious and the gameplay is simply amazing. The core gameplay from the first game has been kept, and the new puzzle features make a great addition. But even though the game looks sterile and very clean, it's definitely not for no-brainers. The puzzles get harder and harder, and there might come a point where you just decide to give up. I have certainly had moments like those. But the pacing is great, so the puzzles don't just start out easy and get hard immediately. It's a steady pace so everyone can come along.

And I have not even mentioned multiplayer yet.

The multiplayer is fantastic. With strangers, it's good. With friends, it's king! One of your mates (or a stranger), along with you take the roles of two robots that are sent through an unspeakable amount of test chambers and have to cooperate to get through them. Communicating is also easy, but it still has some hiccups here and there. Chat is available (press the T key on the PC) for those who wants to know.

That's all what I have to say about the game. See ya!
  79. Apr 22, 2011
    I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews and it's making me very sad. This is a beautiful game, it is an excellent game. It exceeded my expectations. I see the most common complaints are the â
  80. Apr 22, 2011
    Don't know what all the hate is about. Just completed both single player and co-op and it's the best bit of gaming I have had this year. I think people are so used to games like COD or WOW (games that give you almost never ending game time) that they slate anything that doesn't give them unlimited game time. This game was amazingly well written, had a great atmosphere and kept meDon't know what all the hate is about. Just completed both single player and co-op and it's the best bit of gaming I have had this year. I think people are so used to games like COD or WOW (games that give you almost never ending game time) that they slate anything that doesn't give them unlimited game time. This game was amazingly well written, had a great atmosphere and kept me interested through out. Bring on portal 3! (half life episode 3 first though ;) ) Expand
  81. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game. Alot of interesting new things, both to the story, as well af the gameplay. Everything was better. Very good and satisfying ending. Co-op is awesome, too. Longer as the first one aswell. Loved it.
  82. Apr 22, 2011
    The first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funnyThe first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funny ending music, once again made by Jonathan Coulton.The single player experience is a little bit short, something about six hours to finish, but the game has a coop experience, that makes the game even more funny and longer.Probably the best game of this year. Expand
  83. Apr 22, 2011
    The quality of the first game is expanded upon in Portal 2, the game's length is much longer yet it keeps the good pacing and dark humour of its first outing, alongside the equally lengthy Co-op campaign, Portal 2 is well worth the time.

The expansion of the GLaDOS character really brings Portal 2 above the first game, providing another vehicle for the series' trademark humour. The

The puzzles have been rethought for this entry, shifting the focus more towards cognitive reasoning than simple reflexes, meaning that once a player has discovered the solution to a puzzle, the solving of it relies less on having to aim portals quickly and precisely.

It might be assumed that this detracts from the difficulty but by adding new gameplay mechanics in the form of the Repulsion, Acceleration and Moonrock Gels, these add a new layer of complexity to the puzzles.

Returning players will find the early puzzles to be easy as they simply re-imagined versions of the first few puzzles in Portal. They will also be familiar with the gameplay mechanics of the series, and will likely find this game simpler than new players, this is unsurprising however. The new mechanics are introduced later in the game, at this point all players will be roughly equal in experience anyway, in this way the game counters any sense of the game being "Too easy" for returning players.

The ending, which I shall not spoil, is a fitting end to the game's interactions between GLaDOS and the player.

I have no complaints about the game, especially given the lower than usual price point for the game.
  84. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 was an amazing ride from start to finish! the level design is pure genius and the voice acting is VALVe's best yet! The plot really never got old or stale witch i thought would be a problem given the gameplay. Gameplay is very well balanced from the most simple of tests to the complex. the Portal team at valve are very good teachers yet keep thing fun and engaging and it shows inPortal 2 was an amazing ride from start to finish! the level design is pure genius and the voice acting is VALVe's best yet! The plot really never got old or stale witch i thought would be a problem given the gameplay. Gameplay is very well balanced from the most simple of tests to the complex. the Portal team at valve are very good teachers yet keep thing fun and engaging and it shows in this game. overall one of the best VALVe games yet! (except for Half-Life 2 of course lol) Expand
  85. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of the most interesting and challenging games ever made. Portal 2 ups the ante from its massively successive predecessor by significantly increasing the games lenght and adding a bunch of brand new features such as light bridges and aerial faith plates. Portal 2 is hilarious from the start. The dialogues are clever and witty and the voice actors are perfect in their roles.Portal 2 is one of the most interesting and challenging games ever made. Portal 2 ups the ante from its massively successive predecessor by significantly increasing the games lenght and adding a bunch of brand new features such as light bridges and aerial faith plates. Portal 2 is hilarious from the start. The dialogues are clever and witty and the voice actors are perfect in their roles. The games art direction was really nice and some part had a slight half life feel to it. Also a series of wall drawings of events from before and during the events of the first game really created a unique ambiance. The graphics are nothing to brag about. They are clean and functional without any drops in frames, but are not mind blowing by any means. The game's 9 chapters took me about 10 hours to complete and I was enjoying every second of it. The levers near the end are very challenging and creative. Add to that the co op campaign and you've got another 10 hours of fun, hopefully with a friend. In co op you take the role of either Atlas or P Body, two cute and funny robots. All in all this was another amazing game from the guys over at Valve ( and imo their best ) I give this game an 10.0 ! Expand
  86. Apr 22, 2011
    Everything you liked on Portal 1... multiplied with 10...
    if you liked portal you will love portal 2
    if you can't find fun in the gameplay of portal, you won't find any in portal 2...
  87. Apr 22, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with this game. At least, nothing worth getting in such a fit that you need to go on the internet and complain about it. Nothing.
  88. Apr 22, 2011
    Once again, I am blown away by what Valve has accomplished. I never thought a video game could make me feel the way I did the first time I'd played Half-Life, but I was wrong. The first Portal was short and simple, a "beta" if you will for a new style of gameplay. Following the success of The Orange Box, (which included Portal, Team Fortress, and many other games,) Valve began working on aOnce again, I am blown away by what Valve has accomplished. I never thought a video game could make me feel the way I did the first time I'd played Half-Life, but I was wrong. The first Portal was short and simple, a "beta" if you will for a new style of gameplay. Following the success of The Orange Box, (which included Portal, Team Fortress, and many other games,) Valve began working on a full blown sequel to the mind bending first person puzzle shooter that changed the way we played video games.

Now, admittedly, I was a bit skeptical and and slightly apathetic when I first heard about the announcement of Portal 2. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, I was unsure of how Valve would be able to create a sequel with the same old mechanics from the first Portal. Honestly, I was expecting identical puzzles from the first time around, and not much of a story line. But I could not have been more wrong.

The first thing that gamers will notice about Portal 2 is it's incredible graphics. Valve has blown us away with its newest version of the magnificent Source engine once again. Sitting in my computer chair, I swear i could feel the butterflies in my stomach as I was being swung around by a crane in my dilapidated hotel room. The colors are brilliant, the textures are shinier and smoother than ever, the lighting and shadowing effects are amazing (and at one point, very eerie,) making Portal 2 instant eye candy right from the very first moments of gameplay.

Now, although I was taken aback by the beauty of the game, I was expecting top notch graphics from a developer such as Valve. What I was not expecting, however, was the incredibly compelling story line. Portal 2 features a narrative that could give Half-Life a run for its money. With mystery, action, suspense, and tons of hilarious, Monty Python-esque comedy, the only people that will not be fully entertained by Portal 2 are the people that havent played it... yet.

Gameplay is not the only thing that makes Portal 2 an instant classic. Valve has made history by integrating Steam onto consoles. Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Steam, here is a brief explanation. Steam is basically an online library which all of your video games are salved. Whereas back in the old days, when purchasing a game for pc, you would have to type in a serial key which would limit the game to being played only on the computer you installed it on, now you register you game with Steam, and you can now log into your account from any computer and play your games. Still with me? So now, Steam has reached out to consoles. What does that mean? For one, when I buy my PS3 version of Portal 2, I can also install it on my PC and my Mac and no additional charge, after of course registering my game with my Steam account. Also, I can save my game progress on Steam, so that I can start on my PS3, continue on my PC, and finish off the game on my Mac. Now, ready for the best part? Portal 2 is (I believe) the only online console game to be played on Steam servers as opposed to company specific networks, (such as XBOXLive for XBOX and PSN for Playstation.) What does that mean? Cross-server multiplayer. So now, PC, Mac, PS3, and XBOX owners who are friends can all play together, which is truly an innovation in the gaming industry.

Ever since Half-Life in 1998, Valve has delivered top notch games that would redefine gaming time and time again, while also changing the way we bought and maintained video games. Now, over a decade after its first release, Valve is still leading the path in the Video game industry, creating intelligent, exciting, high quality entertainment, and delivering them in a cheaper, easier way to gamers. Valve is proof, that quality is much better than quantity, and a little less profit for them does not mean watering down the product being sold. In my opinion, all developers, publishers, and entertainers of all forms should take a note or two on how Valve does business. Portal 2 - 10/10
  89. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is the greatest game I have ever played. Portal was perfect: characters, puzzles, length - everything .. Portal 2 is 95% perfect but it lasts 3 or 4 times longer, and that's without the co-op. Yes, it's not quite as dark, but it can't be if it supplies you with a full story arc, which it does in spades. I appreciate that certain people won't like it, but an 8.0 score is aPortal 2 is the greatest game I have ever played. Portal was perfect: characters, puzzles, length - everything .. Portal 2 is 95% perfect but it lasts 3 or 4 times longer, and that's without the co-op. Yes, it's not quite as dark, but it can't be if it supplies you with a full story arc, which it does in spades. I appreciate that certain people won't like it, but an 8.0 score is a travesty of justice. This game is literally the best game that I've ever played. Imagine: a game where you don't pick the difficulty level, because there's no baddies and the game is all about the puzzles -- and such a game can be already the most anticipated game of 2011 -- WITHOUT BADDIES!! -- this is a paradigm shift in games (hopefully), and even if not, it is surely the finest effort of 2011. Also, the first 10 minutes were seriously out of a Douglas Adams book - Eddie the shipboard computer, anyone? Expand
  90. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 was incredible. I joined Steam purely for Portal in the first place but the sequel completely blows that out of the water. There's many new and clever puzzles, the dialog is absolutely hilarious while still telling a good story, and the game it several times longer than the original. Single player took me around 8 hours because I took my time admiring the environments which arePortal 2 was incredible. I joined Steam purely for Portal in the first place but the sequel completely blows that out of the water. There's many new and clever puzzles, the dialog is absolutely hilarious while still telling a good story, and the game it several times longer than the original. Single player took me around 8 hours because I took my time admiring the environments which are for the most part extremely well made. If you don't take the time to examine everything you miss much of what Portal 2 has to offer. Co-op only took a good friend and I about 3 hours or so to beat. It's about as long as single player, if not a bit longer, we just make a great co-op team and never got stuck for long. And that's not to say co-op is easier. It's actually far more difficult in my opinion. This is easily my new favorite game by Valve. Expand
  91. Apr 22, 2011
    Not to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutesNot to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutes post-Wheatley. I thought the boss battle had a quirky, creative ending which made good use of chekhov's gun, and that the opera was a great touch. Now for the negatives:
    Unfortunately, Co-op seems to be too easy and too short. They could use more elaborate maps for co-op. Also, the credit reel song just isn't up to par with the original's song which we all know and love.
  92. Apr 22, 2011
    This is a spectacular game with a well thought-out storyline, witty characters and laugh-out-loud humor. Co-op has been a creative and successful addition to the game. This is the game of the century, and is easily better than any game of the Dragon Age or Halo series, which is awfully ironic, considering my username. A must-have game and valuable addition to the gaming world.
  93. Axe
    Apr 22, 2011
    Just mind-blowingly amazing! Valve builds up the game with a foolproof skill curve for the first half of the game to prepare you for the quite challenging second half. The dialogue is pure genius and very very funny all the way through - the best I've ever seen in any form of entertainment/visual media. Story is well laid out, soundtrack + sounds syncing with your actions is always aJust mind-blowingly amazing! Valve builds up the game with a foolproof skill curve for the first half of the game to prepare you for the quite challenging second half. The dialogue is pure genius and very very funny all the way through - the best I've ever seen in any form of entertainment/visual media. Story is well laid out, soundtrack + sounds syncing with your actions is always a thrill, gameplay elements are very varied and a lot of fun (also gets very complicated when you throw in a lot of them together).

Graphics, textures, animations, level design, environment and all the little details are over-the-top fabulous. Co-op is challenging also, adding a lot to the replay value of the game. Best game I've ever played in a long, long time. It will twist your brain and make you feel dumb at times.
  94. eoq
    Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best game I've played... by far. I could not find anything to criticize. Sure there are loading screens after every challenge but they are never longer than 10 seconds and are almost welcomed after what your brain had to go through. The story is great and the characters are unforgettable. It took me 7 hours to finish the single player campaign and I would have gladly paidPortal 2 is the best game I've played... by far. I could not find anything to criticize. Sure there are loading screens after every challenge but they are never longer than 10 seconds and are almost welcomed after what your brain had to go through. The story is great and the characters are unforgettable. It took me 7 hours to finish the single player campaign and I would have gladly paid 40 buck for less. Then there's the co-op. My god is the co-op entertaining. It's the most fun I've had playing a co-op campaign. I always get my games when they're on sale on Steam. I've gotten; Bioshock for $5, both Left 4 Deads for $10 and GTA 4 and it's episodes for $10 just to name a few games I've bought. I got Portal 2 for $40 and I think it was well spent money, more so that those other games. I will forever remember this game as the game that raised my expectations so high that new games will forever disappoint. The Cadillac of video games. Expand
  95. Apr 23, 2011
    When a friend told me to go look at some of the reviews for Portal 2 on Metacritic i was gob smacked to what i saw. How could a game so beautifully created and so amazingly put together have so many negative user reviews? The voice acting is amazing, The graphics are amazing! The thing i love most about Portal 2 is how they have improved on the story, with Portal 1 i found it slightlyWhen a friend told me to go look at some of the reviews for Portal 2 on Metacritic i was gob smacked to what i saw. How could a game so beautifully created and so amazingly put together have so many negative user reviews? The voice acting is amazing, The graphics are amazing! The thing i love most about Portal 2 is how they have improved on the story, with Portal 1 i found it slightly repetitive but Portal 2 just had me itching to play more, Its 11pm and i'm saying to myself " Ok one more door. " then look at the clock and its 4am ! Co-op is just as amazing! I recommend this game to anybody and i would defiantly throw this game a nomination for game of year! Great job valve! Expand
  96. Apr 23, 2011
    Entirely worth the wait. People don't seem to realise that Valve hasn't just given us a new game for $30, they've given us an entirely new platform with which to create original, innovative and enjoyable new content. Once they release the SDK we'll see hundreds of community made maps/props/skins/everything in general. The game took me ~10 hours to complete, and that's without beating theEntirely worth the wait. People don't seem to realise that Valve hasn't just given us a new game for $30, they've given us an entirely new platform with which to create original, innovative and enjoyable new content. Once they release the SDK we'll see hundreds of community made maps/props/skins/everything in general. The game took me ~10 hours to complete, and that's without beating the co-op. The story was well worth it, far more in depth and entertaining than most half-hearted crap released onto the market which we're forced to pay extortionate prices for (ala the Call of Duty series). This game is easily a top candidate for game of the year. I still maintain that Valve has never released a bad game (let's just ignore Ricochet on this one). Want my advice? Stop nitpicking parts of the game which don't even affect gameplay - by that I mean entirely optional cosmetic addons - and start focusing on the bigger picture. Valve has done us well. Expand
  97. Apr 23, 2011
    This is an absolutely amazing and funny game. Singelplayer for my 7 hour game, with another 5 hour co-op campaign. I have no all achviements then play i again.
  98. Apr 23, 2011
    I can't believe some people are giving this awesome game a bad review simply because it wasn't released early and there is day one dlc. The only negative thing I have to say is that the graphics do look a bit dated but because everything else is so well done I don't really care. I wish more developers put this much effort into writing, I can't think of any other game (besides the firstI can't believe some people are giving this awesome game a bad review simply because it wasn't released early and there is day one dlc. The only negative thing I have to say is that the graphics do look a bit dated but because everything else is so well done I don't really care. I wish more developers put this much effort into writing, I can't think of any other game (besides the first portal) that I will replay levels just to listen to the dialog. I hope that people don't take this nonsensical garbage seriously and give portal 2 a chance, if you do you won't be disappointed. Expand
  99. Apr 23, 2011
    Well, I partly created Metacritic account just to make sure this game's score is bumped up because people who have scored this game anything but lower than 7 are idiots! They have no legit reason. In reality I'd say this game is somewhere between 8.5-9.5. I wouldn't say 10 though.

First and foremost, the game took 10 hours for me to complete. I am not a puzzle genius and I kind of looked for secrets etc. So lets say my ponderings and my secret hunting took another 2-3 hours, you should at least get 7 hours of gameplay easy on the single player. I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet! That is like 3 times the time I got out of Portal 1!!! And anything longer would truly drag this game out. That is the thing. Portal titles, by nature, cannot be very long. Unless the formula has been changed.

Secoondly, I loved the humour, I loved the graphics style, I love the characters and animations, I loved the writing, I loved the ending...I also loved the atmosphere...
    However, in the back of my mind I kept comparing to the first game and at some point the pacing slows down. The new mechanics aren't necessarily given enough gameplay time which makes you a bit craving for more...that and the loading screens (though lasted very short) were a bit of immersion breaker. Valve never used to take people out of the game before, I was surprised to see them.

I don't have a latest system and I played the game at the highest settings of it all with no hitches. Though Source engine doesn't compare to some big names like Crytek, it still looks goddamn good! I'd say performance over potential looks!

Overall, it is a worthy purchase unless you are a person who really can't stand puzzle games and need something to shoot/kill because you will be required to use your brain and won't have any face to face opponents to kill.
  100. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my favorite games of all time, even better than the first. The story, the puzzles, and the characters are all more complex this time around, in a good way. The ending itself is amazing, the moon sequence, followed by the adorable turret opera, topped off with the unexpected return of the (original?) companion cube! Well done Valve! Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)