Portal 2 PC

8.8

1. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is not Portal 1, as it shouldn't be. It takes the Portal concept to a whole new level, showing the history, and the future of the concept. I enjoyed every minute I played of this game, beat the entire thing, and the co-op as well. I haven't had so much fun with co-op ever. I laughed and laughed at the trouble we got ourselves into. It's innovative, creative, and the mostThis game is not Portal 1, as it shouldn't be. It takes the Portal concept to a whole new level, showing the history, and the future of the concept. I enjoyed every minute I played of this game, beat the entire thing, and the co-op as well. I haven't had so much fun with co-op ever. I laughed and laughed at the trouble we got ourselves into. It's innovative, creative, and the most important thing, down right fun, both single player and co-op. I see people complaining about the DLC. This is the way DLC should be. Players should not be forced to pay extra money for story content that should be in the game already. DLC is supposed to be specifically bonus, unnecessary content. If it was necessary it should be in the game. As for the Alternate Reality Potato Sack content, it was new, and enjoyable. This "treasure hunt" was a great way to get players really involved in their games. It was very very immersive, and I have never felt so well connected with other players as I did with this. It caused us to work as a team. All in all, it was the most creative and intuitive gaming experience I have ever had. 10 out of 10 for down right fun. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Loving this game. 6 hours played so far and I'm failing on the white-out level due to my eyes hanging out! Beautifully polished game, with great voice acting and good humour. Was absolutely worth the wait. I've not tried cooperative yet but the single player alone has been worth the purchase and I'm not even finished yet!

10/10 Valve - superb work.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Nothing short of amazing. I was hooked from start to finish with this game which brings a whole life to the original game. The game uses the source engine, although old still looks fantastic. I remember every step of the way being blown away with the landscape which it is clear valve has spent months perfecting. The game also brings a whole new range of gimmics which which creates numerousNothing short of amazing. I was hooked from start to finish with this game which brings a whole life to the original game. The game uses the source engine, although old still looks fantastic. I remember every step of the way being blown away with the landscape which it is clear valve has spent months perfecting. The game also brings a whole new range of gimmics which which creates numerous fresh challenges and ideas that are challenging but not frustrating and often make you feel like a genius for solving them in the creative ways that valve has layed out. The story is full of twists and turns that keeps you glued to your screen. At a very respectable length that leaves you fulfilled, engaged and simply wanting more. If you enjoyed portal 1 then this game is a must!! Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    I just had to make an account here when I saw the kotaku link posting about how player reviews were panning portal2 on metacritic. All I can assume is that people giving bad (red) reviews were not really portal1 fans at all. Some of the comments are just lies. 4 hour game? In what universe? As a veteran portal1 player (who has mastered 100% of challenges in p1), I completed the game onI just had to make an account here when I saw the kotaku link posting about how player reviews were panning portal2 on metacritic. All I can assume is that people giving bad (red) reviews were not really portal1 fans at all. Some of the comments are just lies. 4 hour game? In what universe? As a veteran portal1 player (who has mastered 100% of challenges in p1), I completed the game on first run through in about 6.5 hours and thought it was amazing. Don't forget the COOP is a totally new game with new levels and also lasts at least 5 hours depending on the skill level of your partner.

Really the only reason I've given it 9/10 instead of 10/10 is that I would have liked to see a 'Challenges' option for the hardcore among us to sink our teeth into after mastering the single and coop games. But getting a few of the harder achievements will suffice for now, hopefully a DLC will contain 'challenge' maps later on.

It was worth the wait, worth the money and definitely worth the hype.
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the bad reviewers, unless they are some sort of portal expert, finishing the game in 4 hours is impossible, and an online store hardly counts as DLC in the context they are putting it in. This game is a masterpiece with excellent, witty dialogue and puzzles that are easy enough to not get you frustrated, but still hard enough to catch you off guard if you are not prepared.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    It's a shame to see so many reviewers up in arms about a cosmetic addition to the game. But to be honest, I think it's equally shameful for many reviewers to just throw out a "This game was perfect," even for the purpose of counterracting the negative reviews.

Let's be realistic. Alright yes, there was DLC on day 1, but some of it is unlockable in-game anyway, and the saved game message might not have been patched due to release issues with Sony and Microsoft. I can easily overlook these, but the game was not perfect by any means either. There are some definite gripes to be had, but I think everybody, both yea- and nay-sayers just needs to calm down and look at this for its qualities as a game.

The campaign was pretty short; I believe I clocked in at about 5-6 hours. The co-op campaign, which I have not finished yet but am a decent way through, adds a significant amount of time to this. An 8-10 hour game (including co-op) is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. The single-player is more about the characters and the story, while the co-op focuses on some pretty intuitive puzzle solving, and in the end I think it balances well.

I think my biggest personal complaint, though, was the sheer amount of loading screens. I think I saw about 50-60 loading screens in the game. It seriously cuts down on game immersion if every 3 minutes you have to stare at black screen and wait for the next section of game to pop up, and it gets very tedious. But, to be honest, I can easily overlook that issue too, because there were several things this game did absolutely wonderfully.

First off, all the dialogue was exceptional, as was the voice acting. All of the robotic characters were perfectly believable, and JK Simmons' work as Cave Johnson was phenomenal. The off-kilter humor from the first Portal was still there as well, though it seems that some people didn't particularly care for that, either this time around. To me, that morbid sense of humor is what makes Portal Portal.

Another plus but also another gripe, I did enjoy all the new gameplay mechanics, but I think they could have fleshed them out a little bit more, through more puzzles. And they left out the pneumatic diversity vents, which I thought was disappointing.

Overall, this game was not perfect, but I don't think it really deserves such a strong negative reception. Some of the gripes were legitimate, like the single-player being a bit too short, or perhaps some of the puzzles being too easy. But complaints about the DLC and loading screens are just petty. Look at this game for the qualities of the actual game. I personally think Portal 2 definitely lived up to the precedent set by the first one. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I just hope that others will still be able to as well.
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    I cannot believe the user reviews I am seeing. Folks are mad because Valve sells hats? Or the potato pack? Seriously? Really?!?!?!? Nobody forced folks to purchase either. As far as the hats, they don't affect game play and are purely for aesthetics. Personally, I will never get one but to each their own. By far this is one of the most fresh, innovative and fun games I have playedI cannot believe the user reviews I am seeing. Folks are mad because Valve sells hats? Or the potato pack? Seriously? Really?!?!?!? Nobody forced folks to purchase either. As far as the hats, they don't affect game play and are purely for aesthetics. Personally, I will never get one but to each their own. By far this is one of the most fresh, innovative and fun games I have played in ages, GlaDos is in rare form. The levels are fun and intriguing and the graphics are very good. Are they Crysis 1 or Warhead good? Nope. But then again neither was Crysis 2. However the graphics are still above most other games out at the moment. Plus unlike the slew of recent console ports, the Source Engine still runs extremely well on a host of computers.

Game play? Well that is top notch. The puzzles are fun and it is quite the time waster. Those saying the completed it in 4 to 7 hours were rushing through. There is tons written on the walls in side rooms you should take a look at. It all adds to the story, but if all you want to do is the puzzles you may get through in the times posted, but you are missing a lot.

Overall if you enjoyed the story line in Portal, Portal 2 is for you. As I said GlaDos is in rare form, and personally I am a bad human being. Test results don't lie. Also, don't forget to read the comics in the game as this explains how you got back there.
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    A great game that offers a fair bit of challenge and many more hours compared to the original Portal. Multiplayer Coop extended replayability, but is only advisable with a friend. The mechanics of the game are solid, with tweakings and the introduction of new elements that help to expand the variety of the game. The focus of this however seems to be slightly more glamourised, as L4D2 wasA great game that offers a fair bit of challenge and many more hours compared to the original Portal. Multiplayer Coop extended replayability, but is only advisable with a friend. The mechanics of the game are solid, with tweakings and the introduction of new elements that help to expand the variety of the game. The focus of this however seems to be slightly more glamourised, as L4D2 was to L4D, there is a lack of seriousness in comparison to its predecessor. While Portal can be considered a mysterious and dark game, Portal 2 is more of a Black Comedy, with increased elements of sillyness which really detract from its overall themes and interfere with the ability to keep the player immersed. Although the humour is top-notch, the game should have been better if it was darker and not a comedy. Visuals are still quite good, but there have been no monumental steps; but this still stays true to the saying Quality of Quantity, with the game being very polished and smooth. A better engine and gameplay mechanics are more suitable than extreme graphics. Extremely disappointed with the DLC-Cash-Grab Store. Just like TF2's online store, but with far less appeal and merit to the game as a whole. It really is just a cash-grab, and Valve should not be commended for acting in such a way. A serious concern as to the direction of the company; are they focusing on the games during production, or the money spending opportunities. Overall, a very pleasing buy, but there is too much hype for the game for monumental praise. The game does however deliver on everything it promised, it's just that people tend to overblow expectations. Expand
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    This game far and wide surpasses the first one in many ways. The puzzles are quite a bit harder with out being too hard for new comers to play, and yet again valve pulls it off. There are about 6-7 new additional unique mechanics aside from portals that have been added to make this game more challenging and thought provoking. And the game its self clocks in at about 3 times the size ofThis game far and wide surpasses the first one in many ways. The puzzles are quite a bit harder with out being too hard for new comers to play, and yet again valve pulls it off. There are about 6-7 new additional unique mechanics aside from portals that have been added to make this game more challenging and thought provoking. And the game its self clocks in at about 3 times the size of the first one, with fully interactive cut-scenes show-casing an engine that has been in use for 7 years since the release of half-life 2 (This isn't a bad thing as it is absolutely breathtaking). It seems that the world its self is fully destructible with each component working in a real world physics engine that still sets the industry high for realism. The Voice work is extremely well done with each character having its own unique personality and while there may not be many different characters there is a lot of depth to the ones that are presented. Every single level has so much detail put into it that playing this game over again is not going to be a hard thing to want to do. As for the co-op campaign, i have yet to try it, but im sure it will be a great experience. I don't mind spending 45 of my hard earned dollars on this game because I know that valve will continue to bring me excellent games and because I know that valve will also release a level editor for this game that will allow people like me to create new levels that can range from the seemingly impossible to solve to the easiest of easy if i so want. As for the DLC that is not MANDATORY to enjoying the game. It reminds me of League of Legends or even Valve's other title, Team Fortress 2. None of the items in the store will make me better at this game, nor are they necessary to enjoying the game on a different level. Don't buy it if you don't want it. Overall this game is brilliant. Expand
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    If there's ever been a debate as to whether storytelling in games can rival that of a good movie or engrossing book, it's over. Portal Two is, to put it simply, on par with any movie ever made. Whilst playing you can't help but feel the care that has gone into this game, it's got more polish than the Mr Sheen factory. From start to finish the game oozes classy dialogue, helped along byIf there's ever been a debate as to whether storytelling in games can rival that of a good movie or engrossing book, it's over. Portal Two is, to put it simply, on par with any movie ever made. Whilst playing you can't help but feel the care that has gone into this game, it's got more polish than the Mr Sheen factory. From start to finish the game oozes classy dialogue, helped along by sublime voice acting from a notable cast such as J.k Simmons (Cave Johnson), Stephen Merchant (Wheatley), and the returning Ellen Mclain (Glados). With so much talent at hand you might think it difficult for valve to keep the balance in check but they have managed incredibly. No one character outshines any other and all three get their moments in the spotlight, showcasing Erik Wolfpaw and Chet Faliszek's hilarious script. The gameplay itsself begins similarly to the first but soon takes some exciting twists as many new tricks are introduced and some brilliant new setplays are thrown at the player. One of the main criticisms with the prequel was samey level design and monotone colours; this has been righted, and how! Some of the views to be found in Portal 2 are breathtaking and the updated source engine never fails to do the game justice. Length-wise the singleplayer campaign is much, much longer than the original (took me about 6 hours, whereas I can do the original in 35 minutes). Having just completed the game let me tell you I feel very much that I got my monies worth and I haven't even started the co-op yet. To be honest I feel perhaps I should have waited to write this review as I'm still stunned from the ending and feel pretty speechless. I must say, however, that the naysayers bringing the overall user score down are simply either trolling or haven't got the game. This game is near perfect. I say near because I've finished it and the only downside I can see is that the game had an end at all, such was the amount of fun I had beating the tests. This is simply a must buy for anybody who owns a PC, PS3 or Xbox 360. It's funny, charming, shocking, scary at times, and the ending is downright insane. I could continue but I'm exhausting my list of superlatives. Valve have struck gold again, this is simply genius. Best game ever. Expand
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoyed this game. The single-player mode is incredibly challenging at times, with interesting new mechanics, humour that's had me laughing out loud in places and excellently written dialogue and story line. The attention to detail in the levels representing different eras in different stages of disrepair is astonishing, very immersive in that respect. The graphics are clean andThoroughly enjoyed this game. The single-player mode is incredibly challenging at times, with interesting new mechanics, humour that's had me laughing out loud in places and excellently written dialogue and story line. The attention to detail in the levels representing different eras in different stages of disrepair is astonishing, very immersive in that respect. The graphics are clean and the game runs very well (and looks great ) on an older system. If you are rushing like a mad thing, expect 4-5 hours of lonesome playtime (anyone claiming less than this is either cheating or simply full of kack). A more laid-back approach, paying attention to surroundings and dialogue will give 6-8 hours of an enjoyable gaming experience.

The Easter Eggs and Achievements hinting at other aspects of the Half Life/Portal universe are interesting and very well placed. Some are just off-the-wall nuts. In a good way. The co-op mode is excellent, as one would expect of the developer behind TF2 and the L4D series, and with a map-editor on release later this year, you can expect a decent replay-value in that sense.

A longer, better-presented take on the original in my opinion. I have no idea what the negative scorers have found so irksome, their points tend to be insipid and subjective without any apparent realisation that there are other aspects to a game than those they complain about. Now looking forward to seeing what's in store for the penultimate Half Life game
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    I've played only the single player portion of the game and I think that it is a masterpiece! Excellent Puzzles, voice over, graphics, story... every gamer of the world should play this game at least 1 time.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Loved portal 1, loved portal 2. Sure, the portals are the same, and I admit the chambers were a bit easy and I breezed through all but one of them. However, for the single player mode, I prefer easy chambers over hard chambers that get in the way of me seeing the story develop. I'm glad to see they put challenging chambers in the coop, outside of the single player story, so I'm notLoved portal 1, loved portal 2. Sure, the portals are the same, and I admit the chambers were a bit easy and I breezed through all but one of them. However, for the single player mode, I prefer easy chambers over hard chambers that get in the way of me seeing the story develop. I'm glad to see they put challenging chambers in the coop, outside of the single player story, so I'm not dying over and over trying to complete chambers. I think Valve did alright by Portal 2, and there's enough content here to keep me glad that the Portal 1 story will live on. I took one point off because I, like others, expected a longer game for the amount of hype and price, even if it was amazingly polished! Expand
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    yea yea. We expected more from the game. But its still amazing. C'mon, is almost impossible to make something better than portal 1 and they made it! BUT LOTS OF PEOPLE dont want just a better game, they want a perfect game.
    Hatters ganna hate.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved this game. It had an awesome start, it had awesome twists and turns, and it was fun all through. There are really only minor things to criticise, like a few lazy jokes and that kind of stuff. But that's just my opinion. Plus, that's like 4 in 1000. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved the atmosphere, and it was just the right amount of difficulty. There isn't much replayability though. But I never play games with good re-play value more than once or twice anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me. And I know there will be huge amounts of user created content and a bit of official story-driven DLC too.

All in all, I loved it.
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Incredibly well written game, a true comedy/drama finally brought to a video game. Some of Valves best work yet. A lot of complaint has been said of the DLC store and the ARG leading up to the release, but is irrelevant to the quality of the single player and coop game.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the best game in years, It does everything right from the puzzles to the dialogue to a story which was surprisingly engaging for a cast that is mostly robots. If your thinking of buying this game then ignore the user reviews and look over at the critic reviews, this game is nigh on perfect and the only reason it is getting low scores is because of trolls who scream foul at theThis is the best game in years, It does everything right from the puzzles to the dialogue to a story which was surprisingly engaging for a cast that is mostly robots. If your thinking of buying this game then ignore the user reviews and look over at the critic reviews, this game is nigh on perfect and the only reason it is getting low scores is because of trolls who scream foul at the briefest mention of hats. They are entirely cosmetic and optional. Also this game is not short like many of the user reviews say. It took me 8 hrs and I haven't even started the coop yet. All in all a brilliant game, Valve's best game since Half Life 2. Expand
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Why, oh why, are people panning this game, just because of its silly in-game store, or because the ARG wasn't the fabulous success they imagined it would be? Neither affect the core experience of Portal 2, which, just on its own, not only manages to completely blow away its predecessor in terms of content, humour, intelligence and fun factor... it also manages to be one of the best gamesWhy, oh why, are people panning this game, just because of its silly in-game store, or because the ARG wasn't the fabulous success they imagined it would be? Neither affect the core experience of Portal 2, which, just on its own, not only manages to completely blow away its predecessor in terms of content, humour, intelligence and fun factor... it also manages to be one of the best games Valve has ever made.

I started playing the Single Player campaign at 10am, and finished playing at around 6pm.
    Now, I'm one of those people who'll start a campaign, and not stop until it's finished. That doesn't mean I rushed it, mind; one of the things I love about Valve's games is that it rewards you for straying off the beaten track. Easter eggs, extra dialogue... you name it. Portal 2's content is layered incredibly well, so that if you're enthralled enough to go back for another playthrough, you're sure to find or notice something that you didn't before. (I'm already on my second playthrough of the campaign.)

And the beauty of it is, it's so **** brilliant. Seriously. I can't begin to explain just how satisfying, how hilarious, how clever, and how completely fun this game is. I simply can't do it enough justice, compared to you picking it up and playing it through yourself. There is so much content; so many belly laughs, so many 'eureka' moments... That it would be completely unfair of me to just jot them down on a list. As corny as this'll sound, you really have to see it to believe it.

Another interesting point... From what I've read thus far, the true star of the show is the Co-op mode. I've not even touched it yet (mainly because I don't know anybody else who has Portal 2 yet), and I still already **** love the game as a whole. I have no idea how people can possibly pick fault with it, based on such meaningless niggles like the ones listed above. The positives outweighs the negatives to such a ridiculous degree, that second I started playing, all my doubts and preconceptions vanished. I'd spent the weekend doggedly following the ARG, as I'm sure thousands of others did, waiting for the game to be released... I'd guessed a day early. Perhaps two! But I never let myself fall into the trap of condemning the game itself because of its marketing; just because the slightly earlier release wasn't early enough for some, it doesn't make it a terrible game (or 'minigame', as some idiots on here have described it).

So please. I am begging you. Try it. Ignore the childish naysayers on here and just bloody try it. You will love every second of it, especially if you loved the first Portal. And if you've not played the first Portal, don't let that deter you. The game stands up on its own perfectly well, and I'm sure it'll be seen from now on as the benchmark for all games that fall within its genre.

Buy it, play it, love it.
    Also, potatoes.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    This is the most entertaining. charming, intelligent videogame of the last five years, a breath of fresh air in the sea of call of dutys. The single player campaign is roughly 6 hours long, and the coop campaign is about the same, so I really had no problem with the lenght here, plus its an unforgettable ride. The portal based puzzle gameplay is done to near perfection. Don't let someThis is the most entertaining. charming, intelligent videogame of the last five years, a breath of fresh air in the sea of call of dutys. The single player campaign is roughly 6 hours long, and the coop campaign is about the same, so I really had no problem with the lenght here, plus its an unforgettable ride. The portal based puzzle gameplay is done to near perfection. Don't let some trolls whining about some inconsequential DLC fool you into thinking otherwise, if you liked Portal 1 even just a little bit, or just want a creative, imaginative videogame, get this. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    I loved it! It took me about 8 hours to finish. All the character's were very entertaining and full of personality. I liked the new gameplay elements with the different gels. Some of the parts had me stumped for a little while. Mostly the last hour or two. I thought the final battle and ending were great. The song at the end was pretty good too, it's no still alive. I was kind of surprisedI loved it! It took me about 8 hours to finish. All the character's were very entertaining and full of personality. I liked the new gameplay elements with the different gels. Some of the parts had me stumped for a little while. Mostly the last hour or two. I thought the final battle and ending were great. The song at the end was pretty good too, it's no still alive. I was kind of surprised to hear a new original song because I was kind of expecting a remix of the old one. Haven't tried the coop yet, but I plan to play through single player again with the commentary on. Just a total Portal fanboy. So happy they made a sequel that doesn't ruin the series. I hope they make another one! Expand
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    Ill just put this simply. One of the most satisfying games I have played. Take your time through this and really just cherish the atmosphere, the set pieces, the story and the puzzles. With ever part you complete you will not only feel accomplished but have fun figuring it out. Get this game and don't listen to haters who where tricked by valve and bought the potato sack.
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Pay no attention to any of the negative reviews posted here, excess troll spillage from **** To be perfectly blunt, everyone who is saying the game is 4 hours long is lying. If you are looking at the Steam timer, don't. It is wrong. I have been playing for nearly 5 hours now and it said I have been playing for 2.

As for the DLC, that is also a myth. Yes there are downloadable hats and

As for the DLC, that is also a myth. Yes there are downloadable hats and such for your bot in co-op, but that is it. Yes, the hats are overpriced but so are the ones in TF2. Sorry if you lack the free will, but you don't have to buy them. Also, the game is not a console port, I guess no one realizes that. They see the message that says "Don't turn of your console" and freak. Yes, the game is made for multiple platforms and they aren't going to change the message for each one. So they put console because if the had written anything else the Xbox tards would have gotten confused. It is a fine game and ignore all of the negative reviews. As for price I pre-ordered and paid 44$ with no tax, hell I paid 60$ + tax for Black Ops. A game that is much, much worse and a little shorter. Don't believe the trolls. Grow a brain and form your own opinions.
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the better games to come out this year. Don't listen to all these idiots giving it a low rating. The game is good and long, graphics are great, story is great. Anyone who gives this a low rating clearly has the IQ of a squashed potato.
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    Seriously, these complaints are completely unwarranted, or at least in the wrong place.

Most of these reviews seem to be moaning about the potato sack pack. Any marketing for the game (and I should note no one was "required" to buy the whole pack, or any game from the pack as some are claiming) really doesn't affect the game itself. DLC. It seems like most people hear DLC and instantly

DLC. It seems like most people hear DLC and instantly think "bad greedy company." This is sometimes the case, with DLC that provides players with overpowered weapons. This is not the case in Portal 2. Yes it is a system in place in order to make Valve money, but I fail to see how this is necessarily a bad thing. If people want to buy cosmetic bonuses for their characters, let them. It provides no disadvantage to anyone else.

Puzzles. I've been playing through the game simultaneously with a friend. Neither of us are stupid - he is currently working on his doctorate - yet we have been consistently challenged by the puzzles later in the game. The new elements introduced later really do make the game more challenging. If you claim you found all of the puzzles overly easy, I'm not sure I believe you finished.

Gameplay. There have been complaints about unoriginality. These complaints are absurd. You would not play Half-Life 2 expecting a stealth-heavy game, nor should you expect such a basic mechanical change in Portal's sequel. Instead, Valve introduces new peripheral mechanics which it uses to build upon the original concept, the way a sequel is supposed to build upon the original.

Writing. I'll start with the story. I enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting, and there were a few twists that I really wasn't expecting. There was a lot more to the story than in Portal 1, and I won't waste time debating this with anyone.

Console Port. Another one of those terms that people immediately and inexplicably associate with "bad." I see no problem with porting games to consoles, if it is done well. As I haven't played the console versions, however, I won't comment on them.

Humor. It was subtler, but still very frequent and very much there. I have to question whether anyone who says otherwise has actually bothered to listen to it. I laughed a lot playing through Portal 2.

Cake. I hate the cake meme, and how the internet has exploited such a miniscule aspect of Portal 1. "The cake is a lie" is not funny, no matter how many times you say it. Valve handles this very well in Portal 2, addressing the cake only once, in passing, and then leaving it.

Length. This is the only complaint I've read here that even approaches validity. The single player mode took me about 9 hours, about four times longer than Portal 1. I still haven't played the coop portion, so I won't ignorantly comment on it. It is significantly longer than Portal 1, but yes, it is still a fairly short game. I do not believe those who claim that they finished it in four hours on their first playthrough without walkthroughs or cheats.

Rereading this, it looks like I've become more verbose as the review progressed, so I'll end this before I sound any more like a prick. In summary, I have had fun so far with Portal 2, and consider it a worthwhile purchase.
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    just finished and felt i needed to review (especcially with the number of bad reviews that are currently on meta critic) the took me about 8-9 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. there were times where the end looked in sight when a whole new section ,bigger than the last, would begin. the difficulty never seemed to spike too fast while still providing a challenge for all the puzzles.just finished and felt i needed to review (especcially with the number of bad reviews that are currently on meta critic) the took me about 8-9 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. there were times where the end looked in sight when a whole new section ,bigger than the last, would begin. the difficulty never seemed to spike too fast while still providing a challenge for all the puzzles. the new elements such as the gel work amazingly well. but the thing that made the game stand out was the humour. the fantasic diologue of both glados and weightly the new character is a work of art, i have lost count of the amount of times ive burst out laughing (i coundnt even breath during the ending itself ).
    with the review out of the way i would also like to state my views on some of the previous comments that rate portal2 un favourabliy.

1:pricey DLC
    yes there is a store very much like the team fortress 2 one that allows you costumise your bots in multiplayer. this is purely decrotive and does not effect gameplay. so in my eyes solution is simple
    don't want the DLC? don't buy the DLC! it is a way the company can make a little extra cash for other projects but it's not forcing you to buy

2:too short
    this confused me a bit. as i said it took me between 8-9 hours to complete and i felt that i was still going through at a nice pace. it could be that they rushed through without listening too a lot of the dialogue which i feel is a much a part of the game as the gameplay.

3:potato marketing
    this one i can understand a bit. however i work in the industtry which gives me a different perspective on this. it should be remembered that the designers, programmers, artists and everyone who makes the game are very seperate from the company as a whole. these people likely had nothing to do with the marketing idea but gave thier all on the game instead. if there is complaints about this then they would be to the company NOT the game. plus it shows valve trying to support indie games (which the majority were quite decent)

4: same gameplay as origanal
    yes same core gameplay but with some new elements that changed how you played and even how you thought about approaching puzzles. besides first game's gameplay kicked ass! easy controls and challenging puzzles.

5: predictable story
    um i'm not sure we are playing the same game with this point. way too many WTF moments and suprises that i can count. but i guess everyone's view on this wouls be different.

6: replayability
    i would disagree here. i've replayed portal mainly for experienceing the houmour and witty dialogue which the sequel has in abbondance. i can see me replaying this in the future. in all i love portal 2 and eagerly await portal 3 (or at least HL episode 3)
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    It's hard to find words that could fully describe what this game really is. Playing Portal 2 is close to dreaming, some sort of synesthetic experience. This is something You must feel.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is fantastic, the dialogue is funny, sadistic and very well written. Valve really has outdone themselves with this. Really looking forward to co-op it will add even more on to the length of the game.
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    I had to make an account for this game to combat the angry nerds dragging down portal 2's score, and write an actual review (which nobody seems to actually write these days)

First: to address the concerns of angry ranting kids who think this game deserves a "0" or "1" score based on playtime, DLC, or cost. Games cost $60 now. 1.) playtime - This is a 6-10 hour game. If you can pull it

1.) playtime - This is a 6-10 hour game. If you can pull it off in less, you're very clever first time around. Don't criticize a game paced around a player's mental capacity (I'd say I'm good with physics and a quick learner, and it took me about six hours to complete the single player) This also excludes the concept of co-op. Which is an entirely different, 6-10 hour game. Unless you have no friends (which I'm fairly certain is the case, if you are in any way put off by this game) then this game easily trounces many of the other titles out there for the cost. People are acting as if Portal 1 was a long game. It wasn't. it was an hour or two at best. This is easily a fully fledged single player game. You have the single player (full game) co-op (also a full game) and the developer commentary (which any self-respecting nerd will do, also a full playthrough)

2.) DLC: I'm going to be honest, this could be a negative box, but hear me out. I just don't understand why the dlc costs so much money. $0.50? Sure, I'd buy $5 worth. But some individual pieces approach the $10.00 mark. It also makes little sense in a game that isn't built around playing with lots of other random players, like Team Fortress 2 is. You buy the DLC because you want other players to see how fancy you look. But the great thing is that if you don't buy it, there is no influence on gameplay whatsoever. Consider this: If valve simply didn't include any DLC and just gave you the two robots with nothing from the current DLC selection, not a single player would be whining about a lack of anything. So it's a boon for some players, and has no impact on the rest.

3.) Cost. Games are $60 now. Not $50. It's been a long time coming (and seriously, everything else on earth gets more expensive, and games have gotten -cheaper- over the past 20 years? Inflation happens.) and this is in no way a "minigame" with a big price tag. It's $45. that's 25% less than COD black ops. And it's got roughly twice the content. If you are the type who complains about full-length games dripping with polish and fabulous content costing 25% less than the industry standard, feel free to flush your head in the toilet. Or wait until it comes on sale (hello? this is STEAM. They'll put it on sale in two weeks.)

That said, let's actually review the game. If Blizzard is to great cutscenes, Valve is to great characters. There's no way I could imagine any other game designer giving a little sphere so much capability to display emotion with nothing but small rotating rings. The sheer amount of polish here defies logic as much the portal gun defies physics. I was expecting a shiny game. What I got was a whole world, expansive, with painstaking attention to the slightest detail, irregardless of whether or not the player will even see it. From the opening seconds to the final battle, there isn't a single dull moment.

The voice acting is second to none. There are only a few voices in the game, but they're all played to the level of the greatest shakespearean comedy. No, you didn't read that wrong. This is a tragic comedy unlike anything gaming has ever seen. There is something satisfying about knowing that the voice for your arch-nemesis was picked because she is a trained operatic soprano.

Gameplay wise, there is nothing reused that hasn't been thoroughly rethought, modified, and polished. A playthrough with the developer commentary will demonstrate how much painstaking work and effort was put into this game. The new mechanics do not feel cheesy, they feel perfectly at home in the portal world. I found myself thinking "how did they make puzzles WITHOUT all of these amazing new toys in the first place?" I won't spoil the mechanics, but it's safe to say that the puzzles are even more perfect than Portal's. They're challenging without being frustrating. There is no trace of "console-itis" anywhere. Anyone saying there is, was deliberately looking for it and ignoring the astounding world. You still feel that same sense of reward from figuring out the "trick." The puzzles are as much exploring and learning each component as blind trial and error, which is outright gameplay magic. The final boss was unchallenging, but still felt tense and frantic, and was just as deeply satisfying as the first time you laid hands on the fancy dual-portal gun.

If I had a negative point about the game, it would be the loading screens. There are lots of them. But on the whole, this is easily - very, very easily, one of the best games of all time, dripping with polish, humor, cleverness, and brilliant gameplay. And I do not say that lightly.
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, the pacing combined with the witty dialogue and story make for an unforgettable experience. There are two experiences to be had though, both a co-op and a single-player. Each offer something unforgettable, and enjoyable in their own right. There is endless variety to keep the game from becoming stale. Any caveats such as the infamous "DLC" store, andOne of the best games I've ever played, the pacing combined with the witty dialogue and story make for an unforgettable experience. There are two experiences to be had though, both a co-op and a single-player. Each offer something unforgettable, and enjoyable in their own right. There is endless variety to keep the game from becoming stale. Any caveats such as the infamous "DLC" store, and the potato marketing stunt are far outweighed by what is an amazing game. We are gamers, right guys? Expand
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    Complaints about DLC are retarded. The "DLC" in this is entirely cosmetic. It has no impact on gameplay at all. Go read that again. It's stuff to customize how your player looks in co-op mode, and that's it. No levels. No items. No nothing of consequence. If you want a pink player in co-op, then you can go buy it. If not, forget about it and go play the game. This is not a problem.

I'm

I'm deducting 1 point because the game isn't terribly long and doesn't have a lot of replay value, but it's a damn fun game while it lasts and I totally feel like I got my monies worth.
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game. Ignore all the retarded 0./10 reviews.

Very funny and very polished. Highly recommended. Loved it.

Its about 8 hours long not 4 hours.
  32. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply perfect in all ways. Loved the Marketing, loved the Single-Player, loved the Multi-Player, loved the DLC, love being able to customize the co-op bots. Absolutely epic in all ways. Perfect
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    There is a reason metacritic should stop putting out user reviews.. there seems to be a trend for generally moronic low scores by trolls pushing a games score down from what should easily be a high score to a low score.. sort it out. Portal 2 is a classic. ok one player is a bit short but find a mate and co op is a blast. OH no i was charged full price for this game.. really.. u think.There is a reason metacritic should stop putting out user reviews.. there seems to be a trend for generally moronic low scores by trolls pushing a games score down from what should easily be a high score to a low score.. sort it out. Portal 2 is a classic. ok one player is a bit short but find a mate and co op is a blast. OH no i was charged full price for this game.. really.. u think. get a job and stop whining! 26 quid for something as fun. hell i bet u lot bang twice that much cash up your nose of a weekend to get so damn twitchy about stuff as u apperently are. Anyway consider this the last user review on meta i read.. bunch of tossers Expand
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    Interesting. Challenging and fun. One of the best games you will ever pla. ignore all the negative comments from people who are annoyed about optional not important DLC that YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY!!!! So buy it love it and ignore all the negative stupid whiney comments.
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    Unfortunately a number of small minded, petty people have become blinded by anger at the decisions of valve and seem to be unaware that they are supposed to be rating and reviewing the game, not the developer or distributor. In short, simply disregard any zero reviews. But I digress, Portal 2 is an excellent game. The graphics have undergone a huge improvement since the origional withUnfortunately a number of small minded, petty people have become blinded by anger at the decisions of valve and seem to be unaware that they are supposed to be rating and reviewing the game, not the developer or distributor. In short, simply disregard any zero reviews. But I digress, Portal 2 is an excellent game. The graphics have undergone a huge improvement since the origional with greatly improved gameplay. One of the greatest carry-overs from the origional is the fantastic writing, I was genuinely laughing throughout and the performaces behind the voices were amongst the best I have ever heard. Portal 2 is a serious contender for many gaming awards and well deserving of its praising reviews. Expand
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    An awesome game, puts the puzzle genre in a whole new light with innovation and creativity
    anyone who likes to solve puzzles will be astounded with the complexity
    don't know if you will like it or not? buy the original(or the orange box) if you haven't already!
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    Without a doubt, one of the best games of the year so far. I loved "time traveling" through Aperture History and the new characters Valve put into this creative addition to the Portal universe.

Oh, and just in case there's any confusion, DLC is completely OPTIONAL. If you don't want to buy it, don't! Pretend it's not even there and you won't have to throw a hissy fit about it.
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    i'm disappointed not by portal 2, but by the the people here
    I actually read a lot of reviews here, and I am surprised by the negative criticism. I barely found any serious thoughts, every argument sounds like a kid trying to flame something, but who cant find anything intelligent, so he **** about the potato pack being a dlc and thats too much etc...
    cmon, seriously? criticism is based
    i'm disappointed not by portal 2, but by the the people here
    cmon, seriously?
    criticism is based on facts, but all you people hating portal do not have any
    console port? where? you have no arguments
    potato collecting? what this even has to do with the game itself? does the potato pack changed the content of the game? dlc? automatically hating when hearing the word dlc? what is the dlc changing? skins? thats why the complete game sucks? thats your decision to buy ADDITIONAL skins, nobody is pushing you to buy it

i can counter every silly comment here, this is just ridiculous. Never seen so many dumb comments you all probably played portal 2 with loud music in the background, because you did not expect a story in a puzzle game, overhearing the EXCELLENT dialogues, and the deep story
    you were just rushing the game like crazy, without even looking around you
    and then you come here, and saying: story sucked, to short, not good looking etc
    these people just don't know how to play games properly
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    Aight. So i'm going to explain the history of the ARG to those who are thinking of buying this game. Here we go.
    First, clues were released. Some you could find in real life, some on websites, some in games. 36 potatoes were believed to be attainable for a certain 'reward' that was hinted at. A timer for a POSSIBLE early release was shown on Friday April 15th. No promises, never worded like "ITS RELEASING EARLY THIS FRIDAY." None of that. Being the non-idiot that I was, I anticipated an april fools joke, which it wound up being. Apparently nobody found it funny, although I found it hilarious, especially when everyone nerd raged. So then ARG became official. If you wanted to partake you either had to buy the potato pack or had to have all the indie games already. It wasn't FORCED or OBLIGATED, and yet everyone complains of course. If you didn't want to participate, didn't want the early release, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE most of us said, but they kept whining. They even have the gall to say that every game in the pack sucked. Amnesia, Killing Floor, Audiosurf and more, in the pack, all some of my most favourite games have been heralded for being some of the best most unique indie games out there. Not my fault that you love your Black Ops or Dragon Age 2 so much you lost sight on what makes a game good, but moving on.
    Disaster happens, Portal 2 console gets leaked, spoilers are spammed all over the forums by trolls, and somehow Valve becomes responsible. Even if people don't claim they are responsible though, they still cling onto this "We are entitled to early release because at this point i'm sad and the ending is spoiled for me, please don't make me sad anymore, the damage is done now release release release!!!" Which of course is ridiculous. Games get leaked or pirated early ALL THE TIME. You are NOT entitled to anything. There was no sense in having it released this early simply because a few idiots went on the forums despite the leak being common knowledge. Those that aren't whiny emos either leave it alone or participate, or at the very least looked at all this with more of a critical eye. 60% of the profits from the potato pack was going to indie developers, which is always a good thing in my book. We were racking up the indie game hours so we could chip a few hours off the timer, and thats what we got. We had a midnight release, which was glorious. Those that collected all the potatoes(Which the whole process was actually fun by the way, was kind of like detective work) got it even earlier than the others, and also received the valve complete pack. Amazingly generous, and yet people still complain about not getting extra copies if they already had it, those that didn't complete it on time called it **** blah blah blah. So what it all was was a bunch of people being sore losers. They either couldn't afford the potato pack which is fine, it just means you don't get the perks. Don't know about you but I think the world works that way, the more you pay the more perks you get. Also those that work (for their potatoes) those that put time into it get huge perks. Simple as that. If you missed out thats entirely your fault. If you don't like it this way and you are incapable of looking at Valve as a game company, not a charity case, then your view is skewed.
    They can be generous, but there is a limit. All in all the ARG campaign was intricate and fun, and Portal 2 (As of now I have finished it) was a gorgeous gorgeous game. I have to admit with it being rated E and all I expected it to be stuffed with cheese, but it had just the right amount to make it enjoyable. The day one dlc that everyone is making a fuss about are just a few extra skins. Nothing akin to Bioware having day one dlc like an entire character that affects the story or anything. Don't want it? Don't buy it, simple. This goes for just about everything that I mentioned in this review.
    I hope this brought some perspective. If it didn't thats too bad, because you're missing out.
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    I loved the original portal to death, it became a game of time trials for me, how fast can I beat it this time. I loved portal 2, I thought the story line was great and that the game was very will put together. The story takes you for a ride of ups and downs with story twists and a few "What the?" moments. Yes, I admit some of the puzzles are kinda easy, but a lot of them make you think onI loved the original portal to death, it became a game of time trials for me, how fast can I beat it this time. I loved portal 2, I thought the story line was great and that the game was very will put together. The story takes you for a ride of ups and downs with story twists and a few "What the?" moments. Yes, I admit some of the puzzles are kinda easy, but a lot of them make you think on how to do them.

I for one enjoyed it, I would recommended picking it up at best buy for the 35 dollar deal they had going for it. Can't wait to play the CO-Op with my friends, I hope they keep updating new maps into the Co-Op as well.

The DLC is cosmetic and only 38 dollars if you even really care about cosmetic things.

Anyone who hates this game is just a fool.
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    I played around 14 hours and a friend helps me a lot to see the options!
    This game ist really tricky and the looking of portal 2 is okay not the best graphic but for this time really good.

Can't wait to play the coop mode with a friend ;)

Portal 2 keeps my brain burning^^
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    Another winner from Valve. They may not release quantity, but everything they make is a winner. This game brought me back to Half Life 2 in parts, and that's a good thing considering I consider HL2 the best game in the past 10 years. So much fun, especially if you played and loved the first game.
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    I know this isn't technically a review, but it does serve the purpose of helping the public decide whether or not certain critical user reviews are to be believed. Many people are complaining about having to pay for the potato sack to get the game early, but last time I checked, you got 13 indie games for 75% off! I think if you had bought any games from the sack with the sole intention ofI know this isn't technically a review, but it does serve the purpose of helping the public decide whether or not certain critical user reviews are to be believed. Many people are complaining about having to pay for the potato sack to get the game early, but last time I checked, you got 13 indie games for 75% off! I think if you had bought any games from the sack with the sole intention of trying to get Portal 2 released early, you cannot complain about the Potato Sack as you clearly are either stupid or just spend money for no reason. The games in the sack were meant to be played to be ENJOYED, not to be used as bargaining chips to get Valve to release Portal early! You should judge this game for what it is, a fiendishly difficult and clever game that is immensely enjoyable from start to finish. Please stop seeing things through your fanboy-tinted lenses. It ruins it for everyone else. Expand
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    First of all, I would like to point out that the game is, in fact, NOT four hours long. The single player alone will likely take you over five hours, and that leaves the co-op mode to add much more gameplay. Some of the negative reviews on this site are not directly tied to the game, (the ARG was frustrating for some players and the DLC is not required) so I would advise you to try yourFirst of all, I would like to point out that the game is, in fact, NOT four hours long. The single player alone will likely take you over five hours, and that leaves the co-op mode to add much more gameplay. Some of the negative reviews on this site are not directly tied to the game, (the ARG was frustrating for some players and the DLC is not required) so I would advise you to try your best to avoid letting those reviews get you down.
    As for the actual game itself, Portal 2 was a rather enjoyable experience when it lasted. The dialogue was memorable and the puzzles were clever. Trace amounts of frustration were triggered in some puzzles when it seemed like you just needed to find a tiny spot you could put a portal on, but those moments ended up not being so bad. The gels were not outstandingly memorable but added something new to the game. I would probably actually give this game an 8 or 9, but seeing how so many people are criticizing it I'll put a 10 to try to average out the rating.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant in every regard. I can honestly say that. From puzzle/level design, to the art and graphics, to the soundtrack and the clever, clever writing, everything is polished to near perfection. It will take you 6-8 hours to finish the single player campaign, and even then, you will want to play it again. I have not touched the coop yet so I cannot attest to the length ofPortal 2 is brilliant in every regard. I can honestly say that. From puzzle/level design, to the art and graphics, to the soundtrack and the clever, clever writing, everything is polished to near perfection. It will take you 6-8 hours to finish the single player campaign, and even then, you will want to play it again. I have not touched the coop yet so I cannot attest to the length of that. I feel the need to take an aside and mention that pretty much every negative rating on here is extremely misleading. There is mention of $90 launch DLC. This is basically a lie, as the DLC totals to about $40, and entirely consists of hats, skins, and gestures that you can buy for the coop robots. In other words, the launch-time DLC has absolutely no actual consequence except to make your little robot look funny. It contains no added gameplay elements or "withheld" content to pull a profit. Just funny hats and skins, nothing else.

The second large complaint is that the campaign is only 4 hours for "good" players. I can tell you with 100% certainty that this is impossible. Perhaps if you know every single solution to every puzzle right away and can pull them off on your first time through perfectly without dying, as well as zipping past all story/dialogue, and never stopping once to take in the jaw-droppingly beautiful environments, you might get close to a 4 hour completion. I used to speed run Portal 1 in about 30-40 minutes, and I am telling you that Portal 2 is a 6-8 game.

I had unbelievably high expectations for Portal 2, and they were exceeded by a large margin. I laughed, I cried, I gasped, I puzzled. I love this game, and you will too, unless you are some kind of an idiot with a rabid entitlement complex and no interest whatsoever in things that are flipping awesome.
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    Without a doubt, this is my favorite Valve title to date. The game took me 8 hours to beat and I'm about to play the single player game again :) Thank you Valve for spending the extra time on this one, it really shows!
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    I have ACTUALLY played the game and concur with the professional reviewers.... It took me about 6 hours to finish it at a reasonable speed, so I highly doubt the ones who say it's 3 or 4 hours. The actual game is awesome, and I'm pretty sure Valve will provide plenty more content in the future.
  48. Apr 19, 2011
    The backlash against Portal 2 on this site is mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's aThe backlash against Portal 2 on this site is mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's a sequel--what do you really expect?). The brilliance of Portal 1's storytelling came as a surprise to people just expecting an experimental puzzle game; Portal 2, then can only lose points by not having even greater writing/humour/etc. Regardless, Portal 2 improves on the original with a longer and more challenging single-player mode, a co-op mode, several new mechanics, and more Portal humor. It's a great sequel to a great game. If the price seems steep to console users, just wait a while and pick it up later--it's worth your time. Expand
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    i was wrong game is great, golden potato'ers got a just reward i cant complain at all

i love tf2 the portal 2 store is cool also viva portal 2. feelsbadman.jpeg
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    The game is very good. Yes, the source engine is old, yes there is OPTIONAL dlc, yes it's available on the consoles. But you know what really matters to me? It's fun. I enjoyed the hell out of the game. I haven't beaten it yet. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant as Wheatley was spot on and amazing. I laughed a lot when I wasn't figuring out puzzles. But like I said the game is funThe game is very good. Yes, the source engine is old, yes there is OPTIONAL dlc, yes it's available on the consoles. But you know what really matters to me? It's fun. I enjoyed the hell out of the game. I haven't beaten it yet. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant as Wheatley was spot on and amazing. I laughed a lot when I wasn't figuring out puzzles. But like I said the game is fun and that is all that should matter when it comes to playing video games. The PS3 integration in to Steam is a nice touch. I can play on PC then head to the bedroom and continue that save game with out really having to do anything. The cross platform play between PS3 and PC is something I also look forward to. I think the possibilities with this system of Steam getting integrated in to a console has a ton of potential. Expand
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    This is an absolute splendid game from beginning to end. The Puzzles are paced most sublimely, and the "$90 DLC" my peers refer to is completely optional, and purely aesthetic. I highly reccomend
  52. Apr 19, 2011
    A very fun sequel... It is hard to understand why people judge the game over irrelevant issues and over its entertainment value. And who on earth compelled them to buy the DLC? For a change one can refer to user scores of Portal 2 on other sites like gamespot, ign, etc. and realize that most of the negative reviews are nothing but hater ****
  53. Apr 19, 2011
    If you enjoyed the first Portal then you will love this. It is full of the same charm as the first game and at moments is absolutely hilarious. There is more variety to the puzzles, but they still have that Portal feel to them. Graphically it is a fairly nice looking game and there is certainly much more variety in the graphics than the first game. Overall, everything has a bit moreIf you enjoyed the first Portal then you will love this. It is full of the same charm as the first game and at moments is absolutely hilarious. There is more variety to the puzzles, but they still have that Portal feel to them. Graphically it is a fairly nice looking game and there is certainly much more variety in the graphics than the first game. Overall, everything has a bit more polish to it and the controls even feel a little smoother than the original. If the first Portal wasn't your thing then there's not a whole lot here to change your mind. But as I said, if you enjoyed the first game I don't know how you couldn't absolutely love Portal 2. Expand
  54. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve did it again, they made a wonderfulgame full of atmosphere and fun. I won't go into detail, since this is Day One so, I don't think everyone that reads Metacritic reviews has actually played it yet.
    The dark humor of Portal was captured perfectly in this game, this is not, I repeat: NOT a Copy-Paste Portal, it is infact a new game. Obviously I gotta adress the "Day 1 DLC" which there is none, at least I don't see it. DLC is something that is not in the game and has to be bought seperatly to get content. The stuff that is in the shop however, is not DLC, it is a Bonus. They could've left it out, but they wouldn't be Valve if they didn't atleast try it.
    Anyway, back to the game. The first 2 hours are a perfect recap for people who haven't played the first Portal game.. the two..or three(joking obviously). Portal is no Call of Duty obviously, it doesn't have a "Short" (in comparison to other games) singleplayer and a multiplayer that sucks out so many hours you can't even count, but it is a great game. I'm gonna tell you about the game length now: the singleplayer is about 6-8 hours long, obviously people can play it in 4 hours, but if you don't rush through it, you should have a playtime of atleast 6 hours. Now to the coop part: I honestly played all day... as in, Portal 2, coop and single. It took me 11 hours and 23 minutes to finish everything in the game. For me that is more than I could say from for example, Dead Space, Crysis, Bioshock and so on.
    The replay value is extremly high as well, since I pretty much raced two friends of mine while we were talking on Skype, I obviously missed alot of the game. Anyway, I would seriously recommend it.

Now for the flaws, no game is perfect and neither is this one.
    Well, I gotta say there were some pretty funny bugs in the game, for example one time in Coop I was stuck because my "partner" put a ball into an opening I was just crawling in....fun stuff, anyway, I just opened the console (pc) and typed in "kill". Since you respawn the moment you die, it wasn't realy a big thing, but it was kinda annoying.
    Some other stuff was also kinda annoying, the new gameplay element I was looking forward the most was not in the game(Pneumatic Diversity Vents), but that's not going into my verdict.
    (Spoilers ahead) I was looking forward to see some plants and such in the facility, like the trailers, but there were close to none.
    There were some small texture glitches here and there, but overall it was okay.

Some minor stuff I can think of right now. It isn't much, which goes to show that I realy can't find much that realy bothers me in the game.

Anyway, this is going on way longer than I wanted it to be, but I guess, that is just the way I type.
    This game gets a recommendation from me, if you own a console, borrow it from a gamestore or friend and play it, it is worth it. If you're on pc, wait for it to drop a little, since it is a great game, but it is short, I would recommend buying it, if you're a hardcore fan of Portal.

Okay, last but not least.. THERE WAS NO MENTIONING OF THE CAKE...DAMNIT

Sparox 9/10
  55. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a truly magnificent game from start to finish. Incredibly smart, funny, sarcastic and witty. Was laughing out loud the whole way through.
  56. Apr 19, 2011
    Now, I think it is important for people to note how the split of this game is, for the most part, 10-0. That being said I think it is quite fishy that the middle vote is being left out. Let's break down the game now shall we? Voice Acting: Top notch. The voice acting was perfect and the effects just added to the perfection which made the game feel all that more amazing.

Graphics: A step

Graphics: A step up from the original game but not quite as amazing as Crysis, but remember this is a puzzlegame and it looks perfect for what it is meant for.

Gameplay: Absolutely perfect. Unlike in Portal 1 where you were faced with the same obstacles for the last half of the game, Valve slowly unveils new elements to play around with where in the near-ending all come together in one complex masterpiece.

DLC: The largest complaint I can see about this game is the fact that it has DLC. The problem with this is that there are separate reviews between games and the DLC for a reason, this reason being that DLC is not meant to be paired with the game and is in fact OPTIONAL.

Time: The second largest complaint I can see is the time of which it takes to beat this game. I can personally say it took me 6 hours to beat the campaign but for all previous portal players they can realize that the original was much MUCH shorter and so Valve has definitely stepped that up. ALSO for time making this game any longer would probably ruin it because the novelty of the puzzles, contraptions, and the portal gun itself would wear off, also this game comes with COOP(which I have yet to play) which I am sure adds even more time to the game.

Story: The story is FANTASTIC. It does not feel rushed at all despite the time constraints that people seem to have an issue with. The best part of the Portal franchise, since this game has made it clear it is meant to be one, is the humour. This game was by far, MUCH more hilarious than the first installment and is SURE to leave people pausing the game to laugh at the amazing dialogue that Valve has installed.

Music: Very engaging and made to feel as if it is supposed to be going the entire time and what amazed me in this game is that using the contraptions such as repulsive gel alters the music in a slight way that makes the music sound as if it is going along with what you are doing that very moment.

Other reviews: I feel that it is inexcusable to bring in the ARG, the potatos and the release date just because Valve promised it would be out on the 19th and so it was! The ARG let players get excited for this brilliant game and buying the indie games was another OPTIONAL task which many a Valve lover, skipped over to do.

Overall: Top of its game in every possible way and for what we know of Valve, they'll raise that for Portal 3. One of the best games I have ever played and that is not even COUNTING the Co-Op play which I plan on getting started with later today. Hope this helps!
  57. Apr 19, 2011
    I'll state this up front: Portal 2 is a paragon of game design. Everything about this game shows how Valve mastered the data they collected of their audience over the years through Steam and their other games. Portal 2 is filled with great gameplay, satisfying puzzles and some of the best writing you've ever seen in a video game. The character performances are spot on. It's a must buy forI'll state this up front: Portal 2 is a paragon of game design. Everything about this game shows how Valve mastered the data they collected of their audience over the years through Steam and their other games. Portal 2 is filled with great gameplay, satisfying puzzles and some of the best writing you've ever seen in a video game. The character performances are spot on. It's a must buy for every gamer, young and old.

A lot of people seem to be concerned about the added store for the co-op bots, which I think is unfounded. All of the items are purely cosmetic and is hardly content they cut out of the game just to put a price tag on it. It can be easily ignored. The reason it's in the game is because it has apparently been a success in Team Fortress 2, so I don't mind Valve earning an extra buck to fund their next projects.

Valve will probably be releasing more free DLC for this game in the future, just like they did with Left4Dead and Team Fortress 2 (a game that's been receiving more than 10 huge free content updates since 2004!). Since the Source SDK is likely to get an update too, the community will get the tools to create maps and puzzles themselves.
  58. Apr 19, 2011
    NONE of the critics has so far complained about any "short gamelength". Unlike some others, I have played the entire game and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story's nice and there is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger ending. It seems the haters will use any lame reason to downrate the game. Also, the negative reviews make no allusion to gameplay or any other elements that are generallyNONE of the critics has so far complained about any "short gamelength". Unlike some others, I have played the entire game and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story's nice and there is nothing wrong with a cliffhanger ending. It seems the haters will use any lame reason to downrate the game. Also, the negative reviews make no allusion to gameplay or any other elements that are generally considered. Quite sad that one issue (DLC) has solely led to such distortion in ratings. Expand
  59. Apr 19, 2011
    I was afraid I would be over-hyped for this game. Watching videos, reading about others playing through it, they made the game sound like it would be perfect. After playing through the single player campaign, which took about 6 hours (and I was going through it very quickly so these people saying it took 4 hours are full of it) I only had one thought in my head at the end of it all.I was afraid I would be over-hyped for this game. Watching videos, reading about others playing through it, they made the game sound like it would be perfect. After playing through the single player campaign, which took about 6 hours (and I was going through it very quickly so these people saying it took 4 hours are full of it) I only had one thought in my head at the end of it all. Perfect.

Is it the greatest game of all time? No. Did it perfectly continue the story from Portal 1? Yes. Did some puzzles make me scratch my head for a bit? Yes. Did the dialogue literally make me laugh out loud at some points? Yes. These are exactly the things I wanted out of this game. I got every single thing I was hoping for and then some. I've already bought a copy for a friend so they can play it too because this is a game that NEEDS to be experience by everyone.
  60. Apr 19, 2011
    For a lack of a better word: epic!!! Portal 2 should be on display in the Louvre. Best Valve game ever (at least until the next HL is released). I really don't understand what any of these negative score people are saying. Was there a mass escape from a mental institution somewhere? Portal 2 is art! I'm sure true gamers will agree. Oh... (looking at the reviews of real critics) I guessFor a lack of a better word: epic!!! Portal 2 should be on display in the Louvre. Best Valve game ever (at least until the next HL is released). I really don't understand what any of these negative score people are saying. Was there a mass escape from a mental institution somewhere? Portal 2 is art! I'm sure true gamers will agree. Oh... (looking at the reviews of real critics) I guess they have... Expand
  61. Apr 19, 2011
    You'd enjoy this game if you like puzzle-games, platforms and think. But you'd love it if you have followed all the valve ARG and played portal 1. It's a MUST HAVE game for all the gamers. Best game since Half Life. Buy it, it's worth the price, and try not to use a walkthrough or cheating, it will destroy your fun.
  62. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing game. Only bad thing about it is the whole gesture thing. But hey it's optional right? GOTY 2011 so far for me. Also can't beat the low price
  63. Apr 19, 2011
    Honestly, I don't get all the negativity. The game is more than 4 hours if you don't play it like a madman (I've got about 6 hours out of it), and that's excluding coop, and the "Day one DLC" isn't DLC. You neither download it nor does it add any content. It only adds aesthetic stuff, without which you get the same game. Sure, it's not the best game ever, probably not even Valve's, butHonestly, I don't get all the negativity. The game is more than 4 hours if you don't play it like a madman (I've got about 6 hours out of it), and that's excluding coop, and the "Day one DLC" isn't DLC. You neither download it nor does it add any content. It only adds aesthetic stuff, without which you get the same game. Sure, it's not the best game ever, probably not even Valve's, but it's a damn good game nonetheless. Good graphics, good gameplay, good and VERY funny at points storyline. Proper voiceacting, AWESOME looks. It's a bit on the easy side though, only a few places I was anywhere close to feeling stumped. I give this a solid 8/10. Expand
  64. Apr 19, 2011
    Best game of all time! After finishing the game in about 20 hours, I bought a hat for my robot! Now my other robot wants a hat too! Thank you Valve for giving my robots lots of hats!
  65. Apr 19, 2011
    This was a simply amazing game. The writing, dialogue, and gameplay are all top notch. The Co-Op is endless hours of fun, and will continue to be. To address the trolls:
    1. The "DLC" on the Xbox 360 version was added because Microsoft would not allow the In-Game Store that is available on the PC, Mac, and PS3 versions of the game. So, being the generous company that they are, they simply combined all the items from the store and included them within an optional DLC package. Those who complain about "Day 1 DLC" are ignorant trolls who don't know any better.

2. The length of the game is not 4 hours, it is estimated at 10-12 hours for the single-player alone. Those who claim to have completed it are flat out lying, or they No Clipped the entire way. Either way, do not listen to ANY user review that claims they finished the game in less than 10 hours. It pains me to see that such a great game is being attacked by a bunch of idiots who jump to conclusions. Listen to the critics on this one, Portal 2 is a masterpiece.
  66. Apr 19, 2011
    Screw the haters, this game is the best thing since sliced cake*. Better graphics, better game play, longer (steam stats is broken, campaign is 8-10 hours and thats not including co-op). Brilliant, funny, innovative, challenging, with an epic scope. If I've been payed in potatos by Valve, who knows how many they must have given all the professional reviewers who are raving. I digress. Buy it.

67. Apr 19, 2011
    I am assigning a rating to the GAME. It is 100% quality. If you eat at McDonalds because you prefer quantity for your money, go somewhere else. If you want quality for your money, this is it. Or wait a year. But even that's irrelevant. A game shouldn't be rated on its cost, it should be rated on the game. This is superb.
  68. Apr 19, 2011
    I am quite shocked by the reviews. Most of them criticise the ARG rather than the actual game itself. You didn't have to buy the games, that was your choice. The actual game, Portal 2, is absolutely fantastic for the Portal lovers. I have never been more impressed with a game, although people say the story is on the short side. I found it a great length, and it does have re-playability asI am quite shocked by the reviews. Most of them criticise the ARG rather than the actual game itself. You didn't have to buy the games, that was your choice. The actual game, Portal 2, is absolutely fantastic for the Portal lovers. I have never been more impressed with a game, although people say the story is on the short side. I found it a great length, and it does have re-playability as it is such a good plot line. The co-op is expansive and is great to do with friends. And it has hats - who doesn't like hats? The company have to make some profit with these DLC's but, again, you do not need to buy them. Do not see them as part of the game, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT.

I understand people's points of view, but see this game as a great sequel with a great story and great characters who you can love. The puzzles are as good as ever, maybe easy in places but nothing short of what they were. You CANNOT call it a cash-in. It is a game, a fully-functioning fun and brilliant game.

I recommend it, especially for the price which is worth it I can assure you. Buy this game with no regrets and enjoy it.

Thanks for reading, I hope this eases your minds about this game because the negative reviews so far seem to be from a bias point of view which I do not hold.

Cheers,
    xaqread
  69. Apr 19, 2011
    I think a lot of people aren't judging this for what it is. It's a nich 3D FPS puzzle game. It's not Battlefield 3 with Portal guns, it's not a sci-fi GTA. If you go into it expecting anything other than a series of training rooms (puzzles) with a sprinkling of narrative you will be disappointed. If you expect this to be a game that you can't finish in a weekend, you will be disappointedI think a lot of people aren't judging this for what it is. It's a nich 3D FPS puzzle game. It's not Battlefield 3 with Portal guns, it's not a sci-fi GTA. If you go into it expecting anything other than a series of training rooms (puzzles) with a sprinkling of narrative you will be disappointed. If you expect this to be a game that you can't finish in a weekend, you will be disappointed (for the record, most games can be finished in a weekend, Disgaea this is not). A lot of people seem to be upset (no, actually downright furious) for some reason, at the inclusion of an in-game store where you can purchase cosmetic upgrades for your co-op character. It's very misleading to be calling it "DLC", as traditional DLC for games involves new playable content. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm OK with having more options as opposed to less options. I probably won't buy anything but I'm happy it's there. This also is a good sign that Valve intends to support the game for some time, possibly adding regular free content ala TF2 or L4D2. Expand
  70. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game, too many trolls on here who want baby fed. Coop is amazing and the game is very enjoyable. Good graphics, hilarious commentary from Glados, and all around polished game. Bravo Valve!
  71. Apr 19, 2011
    After looking through the negative reviews i have come to realize this game deserves a much higher user score than it has. Much of the whineing is about A) The potato sack ARG which isn't the game itself and can be ignored. and B) The DLC, which is only skins for co-op bots that have no impact on gameplay whatsoever. If you remove those reviews from the equation this game probably gets an 8+
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    I blew through the single-player campaign from release to 8:00 AM local time. The pacing was excellent, and the story and puzzles carried well throughout the game.

The environments were rich and detailed, and gave an excellent feeling of continuity to the story. The sheer sense of scope, and the transitions between closed and open environments gives an excellent sense of smallness in the game.

New game mechanics are everywhere, and the game assumes you know the tricks to all of the old puzzles, which can lead to a few moments of frustration, but once you get the hang of old tricks, you're pretty well set. New tricks, of course, are developed along with the game. Mistakes, of course, can be made, and will be made, but it's often possible to complete the puzzles in a single life.

The script is wonderful, with a return to some of the same humor as before, save with less focus on quippy lines and a more targeted and interesting running commentary designed to evoke a reaction from the player. On me, these were particularly effective, and led to a great deal of emotion and feeling. A trick is to allow yourself to react to the words, instead of fighting or ignoring them. It leads to a much richer experience than merely wandering through corridors blank-faced.

Complaints about cosmetic DLC is simply absurd. Where many companies that charge for DLC have fatal bugs, this has manages to run smoothly on my machine and have no noticeable ones in the course of the game that I found. With that, I've purchased a finished product. Simply put, it was an excellent game, and well worth my time. I haven't played the cooperative version yet, but once my friends have finished it, I will no doubt give that a spin too.
  73. Apr 19, 2011
    Hotly anticipated as Valve's first release for years, Portal 2 isn't going to disappoint fans of portals, testing or dark humour. Awakening in the ruins of Aperture Science, it's clear hundreds of years have passed since your previous victory over the demented GLaDOS. The facility is choked with plant life and decay and very different from the sterile test chambers of its predecessor.Hotly anticipated as Valve's first release for years, Portal 2 isn't going to disappoint fans of portals, testing or dark humour. Awakening in the ruins of Aperture Science, it's clear hundreds of years have passed since your previous victory over the demented GLaDOS. The facility is choked with plant life and decay and very different from the sterile test chambers of its predecessor. After a quick refresher course on how Portals work, you're thrust into a world dripping with charm, black comedy and memorable characters.

Portal 2 has a small cast but each and every one of them has lines that will leave you rolling on the floor. To keep this spoiler free, I shan't reveal anything about the plot but the performances by Ellen McLain, Stephen Merchant and J.K. Simmons are genuinely wonderful, bringing a wonderful spark of human energy, fear, malice, ambition and sarcasm to a game populated by robots, AIs and speaker grilles. The graphics have improved as well, especially with the plant life invading the facility and the gel mechanics bring some wonderful fluid mechanics to the game. The Source engine is of course showing its age but Valve are working their hardest to keep it at the wonderful balance between pretty and capable on lower end machines.

Length-wise, I wish Portal 2 could be longer but the campaign feels right. Mind bending puzzles, frantic dashes into the bowels of the facility, all the while with the story of Aperture unfolding around you, something that was not explored deeply in the original. I have no doubt as well that community will provide some truly logic defying maps to extend both the solo and co-operative lifespan of the game. Humorous, intelligent and above all fun. Portal 2 is a strong candidate for Game of the Year.
  74. Apr 19, 2011
    PC gamers are such cry babies. This game is awesomeness. You don't need any of that DLC anyway, it's just cosmetic crap for your co-op bot. The game is what it is. If you liked Portal you will love this.
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    It's been a few years since I had so much fun with a video game. It is awesome; I laughed out loudly quite a few times during the playing. The ending was fulfilling. A somply awesome game
  76. Apr 19, 2011
    I was really angry with all of these "pseudo-negative" reviews.... Just garbage: fact-> critics agree with the fact that Portal 2 is clearly longer than its predecessor. Then there is no DLC including real content (like extra puzzle) but only skins available. Once you know this, here come one of the best pc Game i've ever played! (However you need to have an affinity with puzzle games toI was really angry with all of these "pseudo-negative" reviews.... Just garbage: fact-> critics agree with the fact that Portal 2 is clearly longer than its predecessor. Then there is no DLC including real content (like extra puzzle) but only skins available. Once you know this, here come one of the best pc Game i've ever played! (However you need to have an affinity with puzzle games to feel the same). The whole game is an example of writing, the soundtrack is not bad. The game has an unique atmosphere, and the the voice actors are really "brilliant" (ah ah). Do not listen all of these ridiculous troll, Portal 2 is a great game so inventive that it is really hard to stop grabbing your mouse! And with the co-op game you can share this compulsion with one of your friend :D (I tried it with a friend and we didn't stop laughing from the start to the end of our session. There is no real turn-offs in this game excepting maybe the store with extra skins which are a bit expensive from my point of view.
    To sum up, Portal 2 is nothing but brilliant!
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    It appears that this is a re-iteration of other reviews but Played Portal 2 through the night and needed sleep. :)

The controls for this the new mechanics are seamless and easy to understand, after your first few levels with each new mechanic your enjoying them at the same level as the portals themselves. The length of portal 2 will really depend on how you want to play it, if your

The length of portal 2 will really depend on how you want to play it, if your looking at simply slving ever puzzle it won't last long maybe 3-5 hours of single and 2-3 hours of co-op. If your interested in the story and/or whats going on around you then it will likely take you 7-9 hours to complete the single and 4-6 hours for the co-op. The replay value again depends on how you play it, in for the puzzles? Very little maybe doing speed runs or challenges or maybe achievement hunting. If your in for the story you'll likely have 2-3 replays of value maybe more depending on your ability to find the easter eggs.

Two points against, first the source engine is showing its age with the very common loading screens, game ruining no, annoying yes. Second point is puzzle sometimes feel leaded/leading as that there is one solution and you are forced that way, is this for all the puzzles? No only 2-4 that I felt that happen in, the flip side of this point there are puzzles that are the reverse where you will do it one way then notice another way to do it or you'll feel that you did it 'wrong' as in not how in should of been done.

Overall great game with some minor drawbacks. 9/10(10/10 because of the trolls rating low)
  78. Apr 19, 2011
    The carpet bombing of negative reviews are based entirely on lies and misinformation. The game is not short (the single player will take you at least 7-9 hours to beat alone, along with the fairly beefy co-op mode on top of that), there is no day-one DLC that is of any significance whatsoever, and it is not a console port. The writing is funny and fantastic, and the gameplay builds veryThe carpet bombing of negative reviews are based entirely on lies and misinformation. The game is not short (the single player will take you at least 7-9 hours to beat alone, along with the fairly beefy co-op mode on top of that), there is no day-one DLC that is of any significance whatsoever, and it is not a console port. The writing is funny and fantastic, and the gameplay builds very well on the original. Sad to see people getting their panties in such a knot over nothing. Expand
  79. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent. Above and Beyond the original in every way. Hilarious scripting, updated graphics (slightly), and outstanding, memorable gameplay make this the ultimate game so far this year.
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    Easily the best game of the year. I don't see why people are complaining about things that have nothing to do with the actual game itself (i.e. why didn't it release earlier because I played the potato sack). That's too bad but why rate the game a 0 when this is easily the game of the year. The gameplay here is so unique and immersive that it's unlike anything else I've played, I wish weEasily the best game of the year. I don't see why people are complaining about things that have nothing to do with the actual game itself (i.e. why didn't it release earlier because I played the potato sack). That's too bad but why rate the game a 0 when this is easily the game of the year. The gameplay here is so unique and immersive that it's unlike anything else I've played, I wish we would have more innovative games like this. Thank you Valve, you've done it again. Expand
  81. Apr 19, 2011
    I really think the story is Valve's best yet. I am really enjoying the singleplayer so far and haven't touched the Co-op yet. The humor, the puzzles, and the quality have all been severely increased.
  82. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't even look at the people downvoting this game. The majority are trolls from /v/ who haven't even purchased the game. This game was Valve's masterpiece. It's just about perfect in every way.
  83. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game! Great script, lovely world, innovative in many ways. Truly a great sequel. Game is well more than four hours long, does not contain required content that costs extra money, nor has many of the problems other reviewers are mentioning. All in all this is a fantastic game well worth most people's time!
  84. Apr 19, 2011
    Singleplayer took 6 hours for me, multiplayer 4 hours. This is less than what most critics played before finishing it, but I wanted to play through it all quickly because it was so good. Amazing visuals, amazing new puzzle elements and incredibly beautiful, atmospheric levels. Very amusing characters and the most genius ending I have ever seen in a game.

I really recommend this game if

I really recommend this game if you think the money is worth at least 10 hours of gameplay. Knowing Valve, more levels will probably come for free (PC) in the future. Plus, if you haven't played Portal 1, you get it for free when buying it on Steam. It's a great game, and I recommend that you play it before playing Portal 2 (it will only take 3-4 hours).
  85. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game, very polished, very fun. Noticed reviews seem to be getting more positive as the day goes on, I think this game will end up with a high user score. Moral of the story, if you're looking for a run and gun, look somewhere else. If you're looking for the next 50-60 hour epic, look somewhere else. If you're looking for a clever, well-written, great looking game, Portal 2, in myGreat game, very polished, very fun. Noticed reviews seem to be getting more positive as the day goes on, I think this game will end up with a high user score. Moral of the story, if you're looking for a run and gun, look somewhere else. If you're looking for the next 50-60 hour epic, look somewhere else. If you're looking for a clever, well-written, great looking game, Portal 2, in my mind, fits the bill. On a side note, this site has the lowest user scores I've seen for this games. On most other review sites, the user scores are much higher, averaging around the 90% range. What's going on Metacritic? Expand
  86. Apr 19, 2011
    I was a big fan of the first game, and was looking forward to this game, and in the end it did not disappoint.
    I liked the new innovations and the addition of the story element. Was overall very enjoyable.
    The only thing that bothered me was the amount of loading screens considering how short some of the levels were. The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op
    The game length was adequate in my opinion, about 6 hours, and co-op seems like it can add a lot more time onto the game.
  87. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 I feel was worth my money. there are too many loading screens but never longer than what it takes to sip my drink. never been a graphics snob but it is one of the most beautiful games on my PC and it surprisingly runs better than the original portal on my computer (some people have been complaining about the fact that things aren't photo-realistic to them I tell them FORMPortal 2 I feel was worth my money. there are too many loading screens but never longer than what it takes to sip my drink. never been a graphics snob but it is one of the most beautiful games on my PC and it surprisingly runs better than the original portal on my computer (some people have been complaining about the fact that things aren't photo-realistic to them I tell them FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION. the function of this is to be a puzzle game everything needs to be crisp and clear and it is they didn't waste my processing power with anything unnecessary. the best example is minecraft.) . The puzzles so far have been challenging off and on and i am around four hours in and am still getting new mechanics (yes I'm not done with the game yet its a weekday im busy). I enjoyed the original portal and this one hasn't disappointed. On the subject of Hats. Really people cant find anything better about the game to complain about than the fact that a company is trying to create a sustaining business by selling useless kniknaks to people who want to buy them. Here is a hint if you don't want to buy them DONT. Finally to all the omg its a console port people is there any way it damages the gameplay. It hasn't bothered gameplay on my crappy computer. To all the people complaining about a great game at least you bought the game maybe play it again when you are older and can appreciate it. Expand
  88. Apr 19, 2011
    Another positive review to offset the abuse of the system by disgruntled, entitlement bound whiners. The graphics and presentation are top-notch, the sound/music are atmospheric and creepy, the puzzles more varied and clever, the writing/humor dry and snarky. The only way it could be better is if they ever release a level maker for it.

1) If you don't like micropayment DLC, don't buy it.

1) If you don't like micropayment DLC, don't buy it. Nothing that is being sold is extra game content, merely window-dressing for people who want to style their co-op avatars. Given that, I take no serious issue with the DLC.

2) If you finished the game in 4 hours, then I guess there is no pleasing you. I'm willing to bet these people got the game illegally in the first place.

3) You can't simply compare the price of a product to the number of hours it takes to wolf down its content. If that's all a game is, is shoving brain-food into your mouth, then you'll never take the time to appreciate a good "steak" in your mouth. Go back to playing yet another military FPS.

4) Knowing the significance Metacritic has in the gaming industry, I suspect troll-bombing with intent to poop on other people's good time.

Play this game. Ask for more.
  89. Apr 19, 2011
    Even better than portal 2, users giving a 0 just because they don't like the potato thing/ the tf2 style dlc shop.... should stop whining and play, it's a great game. Absolutely 100% worth the price
  90. Apr 19, 2011
    I feel bad for all these players who can't get off their high horse and enjoy this great game. The first Portal while short and mostly devoid of cutscenes had more story and personality than many games that come out retail. Portal 2 continues that by offering a unique experience and not just another FPS rehash.
  91. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely stunning game, valve did nothing wrong with its release or development, I am left to conclude that the bad review surrounding this game is nothing, but greifers and trolls that hate to see a success of a much loved and publicised game
  92. Apr 19, 2011
    Super awesome. Really loved it. 10 hours in and only 3/4 through game (single & coop follow 2 connected story arcs). The bot customisation store for multiplayer is dumb, but it's optional.
  93. Apr 19, 2011
    Okay, the negative voting guys are just ridiculous. First of all game playtime - I've managed to *rush* through the game (SP only so far, gotta try coop as well) in 5 hours. (Because I have to write a review for one minor magasine). I'm gonna play again for achievements and such stuff.

About the "DLC" - there's no such thing. You guys are confusing DLCs with microtransactions. Or in case of some free-to-play MMOs... Do you concider extra stuff in form of microtransactions as DLCs? C'mon... These microtransactions actually do NOT affect gameplay, nor Sp, nor Coop. Period.
    Engine/Graphics: Source Engine is beautiful. No kidding. Low requirements for both high quality AND high performance. Complainers are either running the game on a sh**ty PC or have a very highend and are used to Crysis at maximum quality. Well... I highly doubt about the latter one ;) Anyway, look at the Crysis 2 and then talk ;)
    Not challenging: Please go through the whole game.

Simply put, this game is awesome, level design is great, dialogs are well written, companion cube is still alive (:D) and soon modding tools will be released, so we can look forward for mods. Only thing that's diasappining is... (wait for it) ...Chell. I hoped they would finally make one of their main characters speak. But I guess that they're saving it for Gordon Freeman at the end of Ep3 (yeah, I'm optimist).

Summarization: 10,5/10 :D (would be 11/10 if they would let Chell speak)
  94. Apr 19, 2011
    Better than the original, improved gameplay and visuals, a lot longer (single-player took me roughly 8-9 hours) and a lot more humour in my opinion, too. The voice acting was also phenomenal. I can only recommend to purchase this game, especially if you have a good friend to play the coop with. On a side note: The DLC are merely cosmetic, so there really is no need to be so angry about it.
  95. Apr 19, 2011
    Complain all you want about paying $60 for a mini game, you should have shopped around and gotten it for $35 - $45 without ever leaving your couch by pre-ordering. It's freaking awesome, funny, challenging and great looking.

If you're complaining about the potato sac deal, get over it. You bought a cool collection of games cheap and played them for a few hours. "OH GOD, I HAD TO PLAY SUPER MEAT BOY" --- boo-hoo.

The game is plenty long for the single player and co-op extends the play time out even more. If you rated it a 1 or 0, then go crawl back under your hole and play minecraft. It's free and you can play it forever.
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fantastic game - don't listen to the plethora of bitter Valve haters on here. They'll come around eventually. The PROFESSIONAL critics are right. Game of the decade.
  97. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the original and Valve delivered with this one, improving on the original in every way possible. It's like comparing the original Assassin's Creed to AC2. It was well worth the money, delivering a much longer single player (took me roughly 7 hours to finish). Stephen Merchant was great as Wheatley and Ellen McLain once again provided greatPortal 2 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the original and Valve delivered with this one, improving on the original in every way possible. It's like comparing the original Assassin's Creed to AC2. It was well worth the money, delivering a much longer single player (took me roughly 7 hours to finish). Stephen Merchant was great as Wheatley and Ellen McLain once again provided great voice-over as GLaDOS. The humor was brilliant this time round and gave me quite a few laughs throughout the game.

There are some great new puzzle elements that offer much more variety as you progress further. All in all, another fantastic game from Valve. I have yet to try the co-op which probably adds a lot more to the game.

And to everyone complaining about the DLC. You're not being forced to buy it, they're OPTIONAL extras that are there if you want to buy them. Giving a game a low rating because you don't want to pay for it is disgraceful and you should re-evaluate calling yourself a gamer.

Loved Portal? Then this game is a must for you and worth every penny. Go buy it and have some fun.
  98. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the guys trolling here - Portal 2 is just awesome in every aspect!
    - Potato Sack rip off? You did not have to buy it if you don't like the games it contains. Why criticize Portal 2 for that?
    - Pricey ingame items? Sure, they are not the cheapest things around, but again, you don't have to buy them. Incredibly good co-op gameplay, you won't find anything better out there.
    Incredibly good co-op gameplay, you won't find anything better out there. The Dialogs are very funny, Puzzles are challenging, everything is just incredibly good!
  99. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game, a good 5-7 hours of Single Player playtime not including the Co-op maps, GFX/Sound and design are top notch, another triumph for Valve
  100. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game. Suffers lack of replayability like all puzzle games, but certainly worth it.

Game has been out for 13 hours. Most of that time in the early hours. Amazing how many people sat through it start to end while hating it all the way.

1. Pelit (Finland)