8.7

1. Apr 20, 2011
    As any game by Valve, I loved it. Great fun, great story, great voice acting, great graphics (Source Engine still rocks :D )... everything was great about it. It should be given the Game of the Year award.

I was really happy when I saw that glass (broken glass to be precise) finally looked realistic in a Source game, as well as the fact that subtitles/closed captions were finally looking
    smooth and had a nice font in a Source game. --> if Valve update other source games to also utulize this, I'd be very happy, but probably not... (especially not Source games not made by Valve)

Yeah, yeah there's this whole thing about the in-game Store in CO-OP Mode, the MP part of Portal 2. But that doesn't make me lower my score. It's something Valve decided, some like some don't, but you don't need to buy the extra content to play the game. The player models and maps are there by default. I doubt that skins or hats have much effect on gameplay. Gesture on the other hand MIGHT (--> see TF2 taunts), but all in all seem rather insignificant.

10/10 is my final answer :D
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    I think this is the best game what I played! I can´t understand the negative user score. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing!!!!
    Thank you Valve!!!
  3. Apr 22, 2011
    To help your enjoyment of this review, smooth jazz will be deployed mentally in 3... 2... 1... As somebody who has been playing video and computer games for fifteen years I'm rarely impressed by anything these days, but Portal 2 has been an experience like few others. The pacing of the game is exemplary and the writing had me laughing from start to finish. When the game begins by telling you what the buttons do it's already deploying its trademark humor, and every character in the game is entertaining in their own way. The animation of all the mechanical elements often reminds one of Pixar movies, as do many scripted parts in their execution.

There are two areas of criticism that this game gets: graphics and length. The graphics aren't as mind-blowing as the rest of the game, but they're not noticeably dated unless you go looking for faults, which can be found in every game. I can't share the complaints about length - Portal 2 has been the best eight hours of gaming I've ever experienced. (Steam under-reports it at only 5h for me - that's probably where a lot of the complaints are coming from...) It doesn't have the length of an open-world game, but it also doesn't have empty traveling and frequent repetition that these games suffer.
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game. I think most people are disappointed because Valve sets the bar so high that it is hard for it to reach expectations. If this were a game from another publisher, people might give higher reviews. It's similar in length to most games these days so I don't see any issue there. It also is much longer that the first game with much more effort put into it so I would say that justifies the price. I bought the PC version which is 10 bucks cheaper than the XBOX / PS3 versions so maybe this is why I don't mind as much. As a game, it is very entertaining, pulls you in and makes the user think out the puzzles. Now I am off to start co-op mode! Expand
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    The people here who are rating a this game a 0? Are they even playing the same game I am? Level design is perfect, the voice acting and script are just amazing. I'm 9 hours in and I'm almost done but this game is damn perfect in my book. The co-op is a blast...thank you so much Valve, thank you thank you thank you!
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    The game is astoundingly well done and despite the fact that the Source engine is nearly a decade old, Portal 2 looks fantastic. Anyone who is reviewing negatively really just wants a soap box to rage on, despite the fact that everyone is going to play it.
  7. Apr 21, 2011
    I must say that at first I was scared for the duration of the game. It is well known that first made â
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    Definitely Valves best ever game. It uses Portals innovations and genius ideas and expands upon them. Portal looks like a mere test bed now in comparison. Lots of great new features to play around with and a truly compelling storyline. Graphically superior to the original in all aspects. Fantastic voice acting for all the characters, all of which are well developed and have their own distinct personalities. The singleplayer is now 6-8 hours long and takes you through the immense facility that is Aperture Laboratories, showing you varying aspects in the companies development over the years while providing you with unique and mind-boggling tests and levels to solve.

Co-op takes place after singleplayer, and is still very enjoyable. It also takes you through Apertures Labs as you work together under the beady watch of GLaDOS. It includes a simple and easy to use 'Ping' tool for informing your partner, and gestures that can be performed.
    Ignore the negative reviews. This is a true masterpiece on a huge scale. Funny, clever, mindbending - it is an experience you will never forget.
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily one of Valves best efforts yet; Portal 2 does the impossible by vaulting over the insanely high bar set by the original game.

The puzzles and humor remain strong as ever, if not stronger -- but this time adding unnecessary, yet surprisingly well-executed character depth to GLaDOS and fleshing out a little more about Aperture Labs, itself. Complaints about the length of the single
    player campaign can be easily dismissed, clocking in at seven to nine hours, assuming you possess the skillset to conquer the "science" being done in both the proper test chambers, and elsewhere throughout the facility. While initially I winced upon seeing the Portal sequel copy the "Team Fortress 2" model of in-game purchasable cosmetic $DLC for co-op play, the store is completely optional, and in no way affects the gameplay and story of the title. (In fact, it's trivial to simply dismiss the store entirely: you would miss absolutely nothing, except perhaps leaving you wondering why your random co-op robot partner is wearing a large pair of glasses.) If anything, the presence of the store suggests strongly that Valve probably has plans for Portal 2 far beyond the initial batch of co-op maps. If Team Fortress 2 and the L4D series are anything to go by, we may be willing test subjects for a long, long time. Expand
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    This review is meant for those who waited to see the reaction before buying this game. Coming from a dedicated PC gamer who has played a large assortment of games of every type, I will tell you that Portal 2 is something special. Where the first game taught us to think with portals, this game perfects the original formula, and also gives players a new set of testing mechanics. Through it all, Portal 2 is the most polished PC game I have ever played, and manages to look amazing while continuing the snarky, funny, amazing storyline that was set up by its predecessor.

Reasons to Play:

Story: Aperture Science has changed, but Valve's commitment to immersive gaming remains at the forefront.
    Dialog: Following an act like Glados was a hard thing to do. No game could really have matched the original game, but the successor appropriately followed it up, and drove home the fact that you never left Aperture Science, and that they are still the strange, hilarious, OSHA violating people you knew and loved, and their announcements still show it handily.
    GFX: Portal was pretty in its own way, but a limited team and limited time translated to limited resources to work with, so complaints of monotony arose. There is no such problem here. Aperture Science looks wonderful, in its own crumbling, disastrous way. In my opinion, a decrepit research facility has never looked more beautiful.

Addressing complaints:
    Length: The single player campaign lasted me 8 hours, and should easily last most people at least 7. That is the single player section of the game, and I have yet to try Cooperative. That's the length of the original several times over, yet people are complaining loudly about this. Part of the reason, and my reason to laugh at people like this, is addressed in the next section.
    Price: At $45 Steam preorder, Portal 2 wasn't a cheap game. Still, there are several things that should be noted here. Take the original Modern Warfare. It took me 5 hours my first playthrough, and yet it sold for pretty much the same price as far as I remember, and no one complained as loudly or unjustly as people have here. In the end, Portal 2 is not as long as something like Half-Life 2, but keep in mind, few people actually do make games of that length. Guess which company is one of the few who have done so lately? Valve, right...

Buy Portal 2. If $50 is asking a bit much, wait for December. If Valve follows their pattern (ie, L4D, L4D2), it will probably drop to $20 semipermanently around that point. Of course, by then it will probably be hopelessly spoiled for you... At any rate, it's worth it.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    To me Portal 2 was great! Single player had a great storyline and a nice little twist. I am a big fan of Adventure, Action and storyline games! Multilayer will really tests you and your friends hard when it comes to some challenges.
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    All I can say is that Portal 2 is a very pleasurable game to play! It's funny,challenging(sometimes easy).
    But I thank valve for not making it a low quality console game port for PC gamers! I don't regret buying this game. And the fact that Valve will release mods tools for it will make this game more amazing!

Portal 2 is a breath of fresh air in an industry full of call of duty wanna
    be's & gives us a FPS that's completely different from anything else!! A Puzzle shooter..

Also why are people mentioning Dragon Lame 2? When The Witcher 2 will stomp it on may 17th?

Valve knows how to make a fun game that is why Dota 2 get's me excited!

But anyway no game is perfect but Portal 2 is good in my book! I'll give it a great score..
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Without a doubt a 10/10 game. Portal 2 was a fantastic game with great gameplay, story, and voice acting. Furthermore, you don't have to be a twitchy finger FPS fan to love it.

First the gameplay:
    If you enjoyed the puzzles of Portal 1, than Portal 2 will be a seamless fit. The game offers much of the same puzzle mechanisms from the original, but also adds in plenty of new features as the game progresses. Different gels each with their own unique properties; light bridges which sometimes act as make-shift walls; a new box for redirecting lasers; and a tractor beam. With all these new features there were times I even forgot I had a portal gun.

The difficulty will vary from person to person. For me, the difficulty felt hard enough to offer many challenges. Some puzzles had me scratching my head for 10-15 minutes. However, it never felt too overwhelming. Those who played Portal 1 and other puzzle games will have an easier time moving through the game, while beginners may be in for a longer experience. In the sequal There was much less reliance on perfectly timing your portals with quick fingers, and more time devoted to thinking it out and executing it.

The Story:
    The story over all was excellent. Through out most of the game it played out in an engaging and timely fashion. The writing was top notch, and it didn't really feel dull. My only complaint about the game was the transition from the new facility to the older facility. It felt like it dragged on a little bit in the middle. However, the game picked up in the third and final part of the game so it's not a major problem.

Voice Acting:
    Voice acting for the 3 Non Playable Characters was excellent. They are what made the story as enjoyable as it was. Fans of Portal 1 will love GLADOS. Her passive aggressive comments to the main character and her "straight-man" role with Wheatly was spot on. Speaking of Wheatly, he is a bumbling and moronic AI who is absolutely hilarious throughout the entire game. He made me laugh through most of the game. He's voiced by a British comedian, but I can't remember his name. Finally Cave Johnson is voiced by JJ Jameson in the Spiderman movies. Both personalities are the same, so you get the picture.

If you're a fan of puzzle games and you enjoy witty dialogue, Portal 2 is a must buy.
  14. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great game with hilarious dialog. The DLC is all of non game changing value. It's simply cosmetic and there's absolutely no reason to get upset over it.

I enjoyed every second of play I had with this game and will continue to enjoy it as I did the original Portal.
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    Well thought out sequel to an amazing sneak classic. Well worth the Portal name and the polish put into this game shows. From the beginning levels to the later chapters, the game is well thought out. The attention to detail in guiding newer players through the levels as the difficulty slowly increases is superb. Indie Game devs, take note. The game weighs in at a fair 6~7 hours of play time. The real enjoyment for Co-Op lovers is the multiplayer mode. I can certainly see the current puzzles growing old, but there is obviously room for additional levels to be created and added at a later date.

Overall, well constructed game. The music, dialogue and level design are all put together well. This game certainly hasn't run away with it's own success. It acknowledges and grasps the 'test, we'll see' style of the original game.
  16. Apr 20, 2011
    Probably the greatest game, but then again maybe not. It is definitely a well crafted and finished product, unlike most of the other crap that comes out nowadays.
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is pure, really well optimized, perfect length (doesn't get repetitive) and some nice new additions such as co-op which really add a nice new level to the game. The script is once again near perfect with almost every line from Glados or Wheatley having some humorous aspect to it, fingers crossed for Portal 3 - Nice job Valve
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    Been playing video games for many years and this has entered my top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5. If you didnt like portal 1 you will likely not like this, however that being said it is better in every possible way to portal 1. Much longer. Single player is a good length and on top of that there is another co op story which also quite good. Graphics are beautiful, environment is incredable and the voice acting/writing is on par with the best I've played. PC gamers and truly gamers everywhere are very lucky to have a company like valve that clearly love their products and customers. THANK YOU VALVE

Also, PS3 cross platforming is so awesome.
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is glorious. Hilarious, incredibly well written, and full of moments that made my jaw genuinely drop with delight. I'm excited for future games in the series, but mainly can't wait to replay this one. Again and again, probably. Well done.
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    I can only laugh at the negative reviews this fantastic game has apparently been gathering (no doubt from the same crowd as the l4d2 boycott). I suppose if you put the game on mute without subtitles, ignored the developer commentary and other extra features, dismissed the coop because you have no friends, and only played the first hour of the game, you would have a legitimate reason to be dissatisfied with Portal 2. Expand
  21. Apr 23, 2011
    An excellent game in all areas - especially sound design and voice acting. Level design is perhaps too perfect and lean, but Portal 2 in its design and theme serves as a neat deconstruction of Valve's approach to making games. All in all, it's creative, funny and extremely enjoyable.
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is just AMAZING! I finished all the singleplayer and now I'm ready to play the co-op. It's obviously that Valve put a lot of time in developing this game and the game is worth every euro. Great job Valve! I'm never disappointed by any of your games :)
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is in every single way the best thing Valve has done in the last decade. It brings a fresh breath to the games we have today where a FPS will mean realistic reenactment of some war in some country that happened some time ago. Do not let the review scores of 1's and 0's from other users fool you. This game has puzzles that will wrack your brain till no end. What caught my eye: Everything and anything. This game had everything I had hoped for. If I was not bashing my head on the table trying to solve these puzzles, I was laughing at the commentary that the AI's provide throughout the whole game. I think the reason why these games felt as short as it did was because I couldn't put this game down UNTIL I was at the end, no matter how late or brain dead you might be. This gameplay was smooth (quite predictable given valve's fps engine), the character development was phenomenal (trust me, if you're actually paying attention to the game you WILL laugh), and the story was without a doubt amazing. Multiplayer mode isn't simply throwing two players together and giving them puzzles. Each problem required cooperation and timing from both you and your co-op partner. The game even gives you the ability to go through the whole thing without having to speak a word (though there are chat/voice options).

What I felt a little meh about:
    Nothing! I felt quite satisfied when I completed this game (at 3am with a dead brain) and rarely does this happen.

Conclusion:
    Its difficult to sum up how good this game is compared to what we have today. I cannot think of one word to sum it up simply because there are too many to describe this game. Comedic yet having some form of seriousness. Addicting? Probably. This game will probably make the game of the year. >>>TL;DR: PLAY IT GOD DAMMIT
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    Short and sweet, to be sure - but very, very sweet, to be absolutely sure. Improved literally every aspect of the original Portal, which says a lot in itself; greater humor, level design, story, and just general awesomeness. I'm aware there are a few extremely inconsequential things people are blowing way out of proportion (and you'd truly be hard-pressed to find another company more unworthy of such infantile attacks), but I didn't even notice these things because I was too busy enjoying such an utterly fantastic game. Expand
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game, extremely innovative and fun. I'm surprised by how LONG the game is, considering that Portal was very short. I've clocked some 12 hours and have yet to finish the game (almost done with single player, about halfway done with co-op). Puzzles can be very challenging, but it's a great feeling when you finally solve them. I can't recommend it enough!
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant enhancement over the first Portal game in every way, including story. Attention to detail is staggering, perhaps best of anything Valve has ever done now. They just know how to do games right. You can take or LEAVE the "micro-transaction" stuff, just so you know. Anyway, in the end, haters beware! lol
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    Buen juego pero algo corto, aunque el modo co-op aumenta la vida de Portal 2. También está bien la tienda esa, aunque no lo veo del todo bien. Tampoco se cruza demasiado con el mundo de Half-Life, aunque no le hace falta. Excelente juego.
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    Immersive story, extremely funny cast of characters, atmospheric music + stunning visuals even on the source engine and still as unique gameplay as ever. The most fun I have had with gaming in a long time.
  29. May 28, 2011
    Absolutely Brilliant. I loved the first game, I love this one even more! It's a lot more complicated though! Highly recommened!!! I don't think I'll be able to return to portal 1 after this game. I also loved the music and half life feel to it. CO-op is also brilliant
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    Valve tweaks Portal's minimalist formula to deliver a full blown epic with a story filled with betrayal, dark humor, human emotion from robots, some shocking character revelations and genuine fun. All the while, the game's central mechanic remains as engaging as ever thanks to the introduction of some new puzzle mechanics such as tractor beams, light bridges, lasers and fling plates.

The
    game looks absolutely beautiful. Valve's Source engine shines here, as GLaDOS rebuilds test chambers before your eyes. Debris falls realistically, the animations are eye catching as panels rearrange themselves, and as always the textures are wonderfully crafted. In Portal, we got to see the inner workings of Aperture Science's Testing Facility - a labyrinth of pipes, pistons and concrete. It made for very evocative atmospheric conditions, but in Portal 2 Valve outdoes themselves. The game takes place far in the future, and the run down Aperture Science facilities are exposed as giant rectangular structures in the center of a vast, vast abyss beneath the ground. This is one of the most visually breathtaking sights in any video game today.

One of Portal's greatest strengths was its writing. The silent protagonist is a long accepted gaming axiom, and Valve does not deviate here or in the original, so the spotlight is on the sadistic AI who serves as the test coordinator, GLaDOS. Every line she speaks dripping with sardonic, dark humor, GLaDOS constantly references the player's murder of her at the end of the original game, but always is willing to put the past behind them. For science. You monster. There is a lot more than just GLaDOS here, though. A cheery little AI named Wheatley - voiced by the wonderful Stephen Merchant - provides an excellent sidekick, with a very clumsy quality to him that makes him rather endearing. In one of the game's greatest segments, the player travels to Aperture's old test chambers from the 70s and is guided by the recorded voice of Cave Johnson, Aperture's late founder and CEO. Johnson is voiced by the unmatched J.K. Simmons, who breathes life into the recordings to rival even GLaDOS. While all three characters pull off wonderful moments of humor, the game really shines in its character development. The way the three interact with each other - and, more importantly, the player - creates a surprisingly emotional series of events. The grand finale left me genuinely sad, for instance, and a number of the plot twists left me stunned. GLaDOS once again steals the show. I won't spoil how, but suffice to say a grand deal of backstory and development is pumped into the AI through the course of the game.

Now to the main event - the puzzles! Portal was one of the most innovative platformers, and Portal 2 does not disappoint in the least. Some of the early levels are clones of the initial levels we played in Portal, and it takes no time at all to get reacquainted with the Portal Gun. The basic mechanics are the same, which is good, since the game throws new mechanics at us almost instantly. The MVP here are the gels - three paint-like substances that have special powers. Blue paint ("Repulsion Gel") makes one jump and bounce higher when landing on it, red paint makes one run faster across it, and white paint allows one to put portals on any surface covered in it. The three make for some truly intriguing puzzles that make for wonderful new test chambers.

In addition to gels, we have lasers. Lasers are the spiritual successor to the energy balls from the original game (which are, regrettably, absent). They can be redirected with special cubes into power receptors that activate power lines. Light bridges provide impenetrable fences against turrets as well as a surface upon which to walk. Tractor beams do exactly what they sound like they should do, and can be directed with portals for some interesting platforming.

The chambers are innovative and a number had me stumped for an hour or more at times. The single player can probably be completed within seven hours for a truly dedicated gamer trying to get to the end, but I spent a good eleven hours playing it and listening to all the dialogue. There is also a wonderfully inventive co-op campaign that words cannot do justice - it must be experienced.

Portal 2 is one of the greatest games ever released, and a must have for fans of the original, fans of platformers, and gamers in general.
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    I'd like to start out by saying that I signed up on this website just to do this. Anyone who can rate the game anything not in the green zone must have a brain tumor, I signed up on this site specifically to write this review. This game is a game worth fighting for, and for the 40$ that I paid for it (Pre-Purchased, two pack) It was way worth the money. They could've milked me for twice that because the game was way worth it. If you are looking for a fun, exciting, challenging and amazing game then Portal 2 is right down your alley. Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    Very interesting plot-wise, and the amount of in-game content has dramatically risen while keeping the same high levels of quality. The comedy is quite nice too, as is the final song during the credits.
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    consists of excellent and thought provoking gameplay and also has some funny dialogue. it's a great game! i look forward to more content from valve, and hopefully some user made maps as well.
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is awesome. Really, ignore these BS trolling reviews. This game is, by far, the best release of 2011. I am seriously in love with the COOP. I had the most fun in the multiplayer with my friend. So creative, innovative and fun. I typically don't review games on metacritic, but this game deserves a review way higher than a 7.6 (the freaking trolls are annoying). Also, this game has no DLC, it has items that HAS NO EFFECT ON GAMEPLAY that you can purchase). BUY IT. Expand
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is a perfect extension of the original. More levels, more interactivity, more surprises, more history. The main campaign is a blast, and the co-op is unforgettable. Yes there is costumes you can buy (who cares?) for co-op, but all the real content is there in the game, and the game itself is a blast.

No complaints. Seriously.
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game. 10+ hours of game play total and with SDK coming in there will be a whole more levels to play. Everything I have expected from Valve and more. It's fun exploring the levels and finding hidden stuff.
    FACT: DLC doesn't mean purely cosmetic items such as skins. If you believe this, you're retarded. FACT: You don't have to buy any COSMETIC items, they in no way affect the game.
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Ignore the idiots who say this game is bad. Valve has put its video game magic to work again. Portal 2 is a fantastic game, elaborating on Portal's original brilliance. With a longer solo mode and a new co-op mode, it's well worth the price. Bring along excellent voice acting, the usual Portal humor (Along with some newer jokes), a "new" setting, and new gameplay mechanics (Gotta love those gels) and you have a fantastic game. Also, with Steam integration on PS3, cross platform gaming comes in (Sorry Xbox 360, maybe sometime in the future) to add further interest. And now, to address those people with the negative reviews: you don't have to buy the DLC, the solo game takes maybe 8 hours, and co-op takes maybe 5 hours, and who cares about the early release? It's a great game, and you get some pretty slick games anyways. Regardless of all the trolls, I think Portal 2 is on its way to Game of the Year, and it deserves the awesome reviews from the critics. Keep on going, Valve! Expand
  38. Apr 20, 2011
    I literally just made a metacritc account so I can reveiw this game. I'm sick of the crap reveiws. IMHO Portal 2 is fun-as-hell and definitely worth what I paid for it. - Single player is super enjoyable and I know I will replay it to find all the easter eggs.
    - Co-op is exactly what I hoped it would be. Fleshed out, long, fun and innovative.
    - I don't understand why everyone is mad about
    the "hat shop". All that stuff can be earned. For free. FREE. - Surprisingly still as funny as the first. I expected it to lose a bit of it's charm, but it pleasantly surprised me

Ignore the trolls. Get this game.
  39. Apr 20, 2011
    Best game ever. If Portal was an Independent art house film then Portal 2 is a big budget Hollywood summer blockbuster (but without the artistic compromise)
  40. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is almost perfection incarnate. It is so densely packed with lovingly crafted environments, biting- laugh out loud humor, and challenging puzzle. It is easy to miss the entire context of the game as you rush from one puzzle to the next. On one particular level I heard a strange tonal beat that was almost a direct replication of Star Trek the motion picture, Vger is coming home indeed.

Overall:
    Everything a sequel should be, it's fun and irreverent, self referential and completely original.

Mild irritation:
    I didn't like the paint so much, it doesn't fit with the mechanics of the world, IE - it fails to to keep with the limited resource theme of 1 cube - 1 button and it isn't mechanical in nature. It would have been far more fitting to give us the gravity gun with limited pieces of acceleration tracks to lay down. It would have fit the theme far better.

So I thought I would point a few of the homages that I noticed in this game:
    Star Trek TMP- Music
    Cube - environments with homicidal tendencies
    HAL- obvious
    Bioshock - (maybe a mild spoiler )Cave Johnson
    Halflife- walking on pipes was like being back in Black Mesa, and the lovable headcrab sound is back.
    Zork Grand Inquisitor- the Wheatley character makes a nice lantern for exploring the underground.
    Silent Hill- Same mechanic with wheatley, a few seconds later,
    Mario- plumber pipes and the paint.
    TF2- All the wall posters.
    BSODs
    and so much more...
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    To put it simply, Portal 2 is and will be the BEST puzzle game of the entire year. What Valve has done with portal 2 is a thing of beauty. Not only have they captured that same feeling of accomplish and "woah that was awesome" from the first game, they have managed to make it seam completely fresh and new even to a veteran portal player like me. By adding in extra features, that at first glance could seem not much different when compared to the first game, they have added immensely to the experience and combine that with the funniest characters ive seen in a game in a LONG time and the hated but at the same time loved antagonist "GLaDOS", you have the recipe of an outstanding game. Oh! did i also mention that Portal 2 includes a fully fledged Co-op Campaign with its own separate storyline? Its a blast when you and a buddy are playing side by side solving the puzzle chambers. Its even more satisfying because the addition of two more portals makes every puzzle chamber an even tougher exercise that makes you and your buddy shout "YES!" after you solved the seemingly impossible task that was set to you. Bottom line? Its everything you wanted from the first game and a whole lot more and if you're new to the series then your experience with portal 2 will stay with you forever. 10/10 Expand
  42. Apr 20, 2011
    A perfect extension of the first game. The story dives (literally) into the history of Aperture Science, and the plot ties things up nicely, if not a little predictably. Chekov not only left his gun lying around, but his whole kitchen (including the sink). The puzzles and the gameplay are challenging, but not impossible, as the game does a good job of teaching you how to play as you play. I'm hoping with the DLC that Valve will release more levels, both single-player and co-op. Expand
  43. Apr 20, 2011
    Going into the sequel of one of the greatest, most clever games ever made, I was ready to be accepting but still expected a great game. Dealing with expectations, Valve had to both continue the Portal tradition, keeping everything that made the first game great, while also bringing to life a completely new game that wouldn't seem copied. With a beautiful makeover, original humor that wasn't too tacky and over the top, and gameplay mechanics that were familiar yet still refreshing, Valve delivered. Everyone knew that this game could have gone wrong in so many little ways that might have killed it, like a tower so high that it must be perfectly crafted lest it fall over. Portal 2 was fantastically entertaining from start to finish, and the only problem you'll have after playing it is whether you want to jump into the full co-op campaign or start from the beginning again to catch all the wonders you only glimpsed the first time. Expand
  44. May 4, 2011
    Valve are legends of the gaming industry, no doubt about it. For those who are complaining that the game didn't go towards YOUR expectations, you're missing out on an obvious nominee for Game of the Year. Continuing the innovative gameplay and story from the first game, Portal 2 expands the story tenfold into an epic journey through the history of Aperture and the AI struggle over control and power. Gameplay is top-notch, and each campaign feels complete and entertaining despite their short lengths...if you're a pro at Portal. And of course, graphics are phenomenal in presenting the haunted remnants of Aperture, and Sound Design is great. Oh, and the sarcasm and humor are still there. So, if you want the greatest experience of gaming this year, Portal 2 will be your buy. Expand
  45. Apr 20, 2011
    Amazingly well written game, well polished and a huge amount of fun to play. The puzzles are well thought out, and can be VERY challenging. Graphics on both PC and PS3 are very good. A lot more game play than the first portal, all of it heaps of fun. Funny and witty comments from both GLaDOS and Wheatley make the game even more enjoyable. Definite 10/10 from me. Multi-player is also awesome, and there are a lot of achievements for it as well as the single player achievements. Expand
  46. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nice Game .. .... ... ... ... ... .. .. . . ... .. .. ... . ..... .... ........ ... .... . ... .. ..... ........ ....... ... ... ... .... .. .... .. ... ... ............ ........ ....... ....... .. .. ..... ... ... .... ... .... .... .. .... ....... .. ..... ...... . .... .... ....... . ........ ..... .... .... .... ... ... ........ .. ........10/10 Expand
  47. Apr 20, 2011
    Just as Portal 1, pure genius. Great story, plays & looks very pretty... I am enjoying every part of it.... Kudos to Valve for again creating a top-notch game!!

Recommended to everyone with somewhat of a puzzle mind & humor :)
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    this is perfection in a video game. solo campaign length is perfect, not too long, not too short. the co-op campaign is pure genius. the voice acting is the shining star of this series and the talent brought in for portal 2 delivers. stars like j.k. simmons and stephen merchant bring these invisible characters to live. well done valve well done.
  49. Apr 20, 2011
    So far Portal 2 has been one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The story is very engaging with excellent writing and voice acting. A few of the puzzles made me think a bit, but so far I haven't gotten stuck on any of them. I haven't finished yet after playing for about 6 hours and I feel like I'm not all that close to an ending. These people who say they finished in 2 or 3 hours must be way smarter than me, which I'm ok with. I'm having a blast playing and I find myself laughing out loud quite a bit. I haven't touched the co-op mode yet and I will definitely be looking forward to playing with my friends after I finish the single player game. Expand
  50. Apr 20, 2011
    Excellent game!! single-player is long, with many new things,there are some parts very hard and take a while to pass it. Co-op is just amazing, i just can play in split-screen with my friends! cooperative levels are difficult and very innovative. The best game of the year!
  51. Apr 20, 2011
    Don't let the entitled /v/ trolls fool you, this is easily the best game of the year so far. The story is superb, and the characters are some of the most memorable you'll ever find, with fantastic voice acting. They really brought this game to life with the attention to detail, incredible environments, and cinematic quality. The puzzles were as mind-bending as they were entertaining. All the time they spent on this sequel paid off tenfold. Expand
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    For those complaining about the short length and cost of the game: Valve releases barely any games and when they do release major ones, it will be costly and is justified by that because they have to do business. Now comparing it to other games such as call of duty, they charge just as much for their games released every year with the the single player mode being as long or shorter than portal 2. What did you expect? Fallout 3? As for the potato sack, it was optional for you to buy it. Who are you to criticize the actions of other people when they chip in and try to get the game out early? Their loss or gain is not Valve's problem as it is optional and the game will be released anyways. It's a gamble. Expand
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    For starters, this game is damned impressive. I was a bit wary at first: I wasn't sure how Valve would handle the sequel to their previously so well-received title, but they really managed to pull this off well. The level of polish is pleasantly higher than expected and overall the game feels like a very well-produced product. The humor has had me burst out laughing at times and the gameplay is as entertaining as ever.

Many people have been harshly criticizing Valve for including "first-day DLC", but it must be considered that this is entirely optional DLC - it is purely aesthetic and you do not suffer being kicked from a game or any other consequence should you choose not to purchase it. The campaign is about as long as you choose to make it, depending on how much you choose to rush, how much dialogue you listen to, and how good you are at solving the puzzles, and one must also consider the presence of the cooperative campaign, which stands entirely on its own. Overall I think Valve has done no less than we could have expected of them, which was to produce an excellent game.
  54. Apr 20, 2011
    This is pretty much the most fun I've had with a game in a while. The campaign is masterful. My favorite part, without a doubt is the coop though. It's so satisfying to FINALLY solve that one puzzle that you and your friend just couldn't get past.
  55. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not everyone can complete the game in 3-4 hours. Some of us have jobs, university, school, a family AKA a life. The game is astonishing. Unforgettable experience. GLaDOS is funny as hell. Even if you didn't play the first Portal game you'll laugh because of her jokes and sarcasm. Expand
  56. Apr 20, 2011
    Upon completing this adventure within Portal 2 an initial reaction was satisfaction. It offered so many amazing gameplay mechanics that it never feels boring for a second while also never frustrating when solving the complex level designs. In addition the campaign's story was so funny, immersive and entertaining as a full length title that Valve must be congratulated in creating one of the greatest games of this generation. To note giving this title a '0' (the lowest score you can give for a game) soley based on supplemented DLC is not a good critical analysis at all. Expand
  57. Apr 20, 2011
    I honestly don't think I've ever been so engrossed in a game before. Half-Life 2 and that series is a very close second... but Portal 2 really, really takes the cake on this one. I didn't see a single flaw, either in graphics, storyline, or delivery. Hands down, amazing. Good job Valve. I will be recommending this game to all my friends, and even people I have never met before.

And for
    anyone that says the game is short... it's not, honestly, and do you really think Valve won't add on more content later with extra challenges? It took me about 6 hours to play through the story line, and I will definitely be playing through it again and again. This game was worth every penny. Expand
  58. Apr 20, 2011
    This is no game, this is a new type of entertainment with maximum usage of brain, even it contains comedy and epic story ! A must buy not only for Portal/Valve fan.
  59. Apr 20, 2011
    I have no idea why the user average is 7.7. It deserves a 9 at least. The concept is amazing, gameplay is solid and exhilarating, new features are never forced or gimmicky and voice acting is stellar. It's an incredibly funny game that never has one dull moment. It's full of nothing but robots but they have more personality than most games with people. They tell an interesting story through nothing but voice and it's so fresh and so valve. If you loved the first, you will love this hilarious, exciting, gameplay feature packed, great looking game. The multiplayer is the best because the puzzles are more complex and give you such a great feeling of accomplishment that you just want to high five your buddy and cheer! From start to end, this game will make you laugh and think and marvel at the sheer beauty and quality that valve has packaged for you. The best game I have purchased since the beginning of 2010. Expand
  60. Apr 20, 2011
    By far the greatest Valve game that has ever been made. I started playing this at 6 PM my time, and refused to go to sleep until I finished it. It was 2:30 AM when I finished it the game. All I can say is that Valve took all my expectations and passed them. They turned a small 2 to 3 hour indie experiment and made a 8-10 hour full-fledged game. Valve proved to the world that they still know how to make an amazing game. The levels are beautifully designed, richly detailed, and reward you immensely for looking at it closely. Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons voice their characters beautifully with incredible humor that doesn't force itself. All I can say is that Portal 2 almost a perfect game. Aside from a few difficult puzzles (which are actually easy when you beat them, as they require you to think outside the box) there is nothing wrong with this game, and anyone who can buy it, SHOULD BUY IT. Expand
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    Let me start by saying that I think this game deserves a 9/10. The extra 1 is to try and balance out the idiots who are giving this game 0-3/10. They're either trolls or people who absolutely hate puzzle games and shouldn't have been playing this game anyways. That said, I loved this game. Stunning voice acting, clever puzzles, and a riveting storyline make this the best game so far this year. Those who are claiming this to be a console port don't know what they're talking about. There's up to 8x AA on AMD/ ATI cards, up to 16x AF, other expected texture settings, and it even supports Eyefinity (resolution of 5760x1080). I look forward to going through the campaign again to find the secrets that I missed. I did find the puzzles to be easier to solve then the ones from portal 1, but that is to be expected considering that I beat that game a couple times. I've had practice. Expand
  62. Apr 20, 2011
    To the **** and haters. Your points are noted, but invalid. Go kill yourselves. Love, Sloth
    PS: Make a better game and prove me wrong.
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    The best game I've played in a long time. Don't believe the over-entitled crybabies leaving negative reviews: this game is 6 to 8 hours of perfectly formed single-player entertainment, and the same amount of co-op multiplayer entertainment.
  64. Apr 21, 2011
    Simple the best Valve's game so far. Portal 2 has very amazing singleplayer experience and is full-length game when comparing to other games. Graphics in this game are beautiful to old source engine (middle-high-end when comparing to all games). Game is well optimised and runs on lower-end computers well.

The story in this game is interesting and the plot is excellent. Most of jokes are
    hilarious and rest of them make you laugh too. For me, Valve has nice sense of humor. Game mechanics works very well, gels don't make you lag and they're smooth. (exclude driver issues etc, that are in every game).

As a true portal 1 fan, Portal 2 beats it in every sector, every single one. People say that this game is short, but should the game last 5 hours on speed run? If people played this in hurry to something like 2-3 hours, I'd say it's not short. (Portal 1 can be played in
  65. Apr 21, 2011
    Simply fantastic. The new elements in Portal 2 diversify the gameplay without overburdening it with complication. The storyline is convincing and immersive; the voice acting evoked pathos and drove humor. The game took me around 7 hours to finish, not including the separate co-op section.
  66. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve delivers on the good stuff once again. Single player takes a good 8-9 to complete, multiplayer can last another 7. Overall, you're looking at a good 15-16 hours of gameplay give or take. Your experience with this game will vary based on how much you enjoy challenging puzzle gameplay, but even if you aren't a huge fan of this, you will likely enjoy the game's sense of humor and it's well written dialogue.

This may not be the longest game ever released, but to pretend it only lasts 4 hours or whatever claims are out there, is simply deceptive, and flat out false. This is one of Valve's finest games and again, assuming you enjoy puzzle gameplay, it's hard to find an experience as satisfying as Portal 2. It's one thing not to like this game, but to give it scores of 0 or 1 on here for a game with these top notch production values...let's just say I question if these people are blindly hating, or if they actually played the game.
  67. Apr 22, 2011
    Absolutely amazing game. Game is well written, levels are terrific, character voices are hilarious. You really feel a sense of accomplishment when you figure them out.
  68. May 19, 2011
    It's a great game that I honestly recommend to everybody I know, even for the price point. Those rating it low, remember once the developer tools come out there will be loads of very, very difficult, as well as some easy and also just plain fun, maps to play for absolutely free. There won't really be story to those maps, but at least it will lengthen the game substantially, thus making it worth the $50. All in all it is an amazing game that is well worth the money, even if you have to wait a little while for the extra maps. Expand
  69. Nil
    Apr 21, 2011
    There's just a handful of games that are crafted with as much love, and I am quite surprised because most of them are Valve games.

Portal 2 is a sweet puzzle game that will have newcomers to the 'thinking with portals' mechanics entertained considerably longer than the rest of those who already know their way around them.

Still, regardless, in personal experience the Single Player
    campaign runs at a satisfactory 6-8 hour game. You can, however, rush it through in a bit more than 5 hours when you already know the puzzle solutions.

Now, apart from being fun and filled with comedy throughout this game has depth. I know! Try and look around for details, if you haven't played the other games in the Half Life universe some details might go over your head, but there is plenty to discover about the Story of Chell and how she fits in it.

Then there's Cooperative Mode. It's fun and depending on who you play it with may end up going for hours. Do try to play it with friends, since playing with random players usually becomes stressful because they are prone to leaving mid game.

And finally, disregard the DLC complaints. The game is enjoyable as delivered, what the Cash Shop included in the game provides is just a short cut for people who find the game so hard that they would rather pay to unlock content instead of playing more. And besides, most of the Shop items are nothing but cosmetic modifications which do not, in any way, affect the game. At all.
  70. Apr 21, 2011
    Graphics, scenario and atmosphere are top notch. Gameplay is great too with the new mechanics. Great game, as always with Valve.

PS to go over the 150 char limit : don't listen to all the bad reviews, most of their arguments are invalid.
  71. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year so far. Where Portal was a 2-hour prototype for the portal mechanic, Portal 2 is a 5-6 hour (single player only, not including co-op) full-fat game which greatly expands on what Portal achieved. Perfect voice acting, amazing graphics (which just goes to show how much mileage Valve can still get out of the Source engine), mind-bending puzzles which will definitely give your brain a workout, and a powerful and hilarious story which carries you all the way through both game modes. In my opinion, definitely deserving of a 10/10.

Oh, and don't listen to all the trolls who are, for some reason, using very minor issues as excuses to give a 1 or 0/10. There's no reason to give something a 1 or less unless the game in question is utterly broken beyond comprehension, and doing so only highlights the lack of ones ability to discuss things like an actual grown-up. Giving 5's or 6's might help their case better.
  72. Apr 21, 2011
    a very nice follow-up on the first portal. it's a good thing they didn't loose there sense of humor that was in the first game. a game rarely makes me laugh this hard. the level design is of a high quality, almost too bad your are going trough it so fast. the puzzles are challenging and have good new elements. the only down side is the length, witch is just too short for this kind of game
  73. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is a great expansion on the portal universe. Valve took what they had as far as they could. The game is a solid 10 hours with stunning visuals and brilliant comedic practices which will have you rolling on the floor laughing. highly recommended. I think users expected something too different from portal 2 than portal and thus was met with negativity and hostility.
  74. Apr 21, 2011
    this game has a level of polish rarely seen, and some of the best voice acting in any video game to date. Valve took the original and without removing any of the charm created a much deeper and more fleshed out game-play experience. portal 2 is truly a fantastic game.
  75. Apr 21, 2011
    A good follow up. The dialog is even better than the original. I don't know if it's because we already experienced the "think with portals" game play before, but the test don't seem quite as difficult. Not that I have gotten stuck trying to figure them out a few times in 2.
  76. May 3, 2011
    This is an absolutely fantastic game. Sure, it's a tad short, but I still managed to easily get 8 hours out of the single player campaign. This game excels at many things, but two things really stood out for me: Level design and the characters' personalities. The gameplay is up-to-par with what we have come to expect from a Valve game. Overall, this game is a blast to play and you'll find yourself with a big smile on your face most of the time. Mustbuy! Expand
  77. Apr 21, 2011
    This was one of the best experience i have ever had, the ideal mix between storytelling and actual gameplay. Valve does an excellent job at dragging you in its games, i.e. Half-Life 2 etc. I Notice a lot of people complaining about the 'old' engine Valve uses, i don't see any problems with it, the graphics are ace and perfect for a game like portal in my opinion.

*like like*
  78. Apr 21, 2011
    Loved the game.
    I love all the small touches all around the game from the funny posters to the way the background music reacts to player actions and adds well to the atmosphere.
    I found the voice acting, the characters and their scripts to be entertaining, we're going to be quoting Cave Johnson for a long time.
    The puzzles designs were good and well thought out, hard enough to slow
    down the players as they work things out but not stop them, so a good pace can be set throughout the game.
    Haven't finished the co op yet but we are having a great time with it so far.
    Graphics are good and a good amount of time can be spent just looking around the levels appreciating the looks.
    I really did enjoy the story and the speed with which it develops, overall I reckon they chose a good length for the game to prevent it from getting stale, just as fun to do in one big sitting or several small sittings without losing your place.

The adverts and teaser clips they put out for this game really built up the hype for me, so I'm glad I wasn't disappointed, not to mention that little competition they had going in order to get the game released earlier was a fantastic idea as far as I was concerned.

Good job valve, now wheres half life 3?
  79. Apr 21, 2011
    I think this game has too many haters for this type of game, It's original ( unless your counting portal one ) it has a great story line, and it's great for multi player. People say this games levels are very dull, but there original, and a challenge. Most people who play this game have had allot of fun playing it and I have to as I think it is very entertaining. And you could have a outstanding game like COD4 when it was out but yet that is not as fun as say Donkey Kong returns. Most games are known for graphics and what the online play is like. Well really games should be about how much fun you can get in them, how long you will be interested for, and how original they are. So that just proves this is a epic game that will and should be rated as one of the best there is. Expand
  80. Apr 21, 2011
    This was everything I wanted in a Portal sequel. The puzzles, characters, level design, and especially the humor, were all a step above what the first portal had achieved. Valve has outdone themselves yet again.
  81. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is incredible. Whatever you have read, you will not finish Portal 2 in under 6 Hours. I have finished Portal 1 in one and a half hours in my first play through and I needed 7 hours to finish Portal 2. Even if you are a genius there is still Co-Op which is at least as long as the single-player campaign.

Apart from that, Valve's Portal 2 is a great game which is not only
    extremely creative (which is rare in today's jungle of Battlefield and Call of Duty) but even for advanced Portal players, it is in later stages challenging. It is one of those games that comes along only few times in many years. It is funny, makes you think (which again, is very rare in today's games) and did I mention that I had the most fun in years playing Co-Op? It is just hilarious if someone messes up and you die.

Game of the Decade if you ask me.
  82. Apr 21, 2011
    This Game is perfect! Please don't let these haters steer you away from this gem of a game. Take you time is the various tests and rooms. There are plenty of clues and hidden areas to keep one busy for quite some time. So don't blow thru it like some people who are trying to look for hints for HL:EP3. If it comes great if not, so what. Portal 2 stands alone as a great game, and needs to be respected as such. Expand
  83. Apr 21, 2011
    The game is beautiful. People need to quit whineing so much. I played through it and noticed none of the little things people are bashing this about. Glados is funnier, sharper and everything is a lot more complete feeling tham Portal 1. Truly brilliant
  84. Apr 21, 2011
    PORTAL 2 IS THE BEST GAME IN THE HISTORY OF GAMES!!!!

The graphics and storyline are totally ground breaking and humorous. This is the first game I have ever played that actually lived up to the hype. The potatoe sack game collection was pure genius even offering early release of portal2 for collecting potatoes in each of the potatoe sack collection, brilliant!!! The coop is more fun
    than Ive ever had in any other game and the puzzles are awesome... I gasp with worry and anticipation everytime I enter a new level.

The store... well I feel that offering swag such as tshirt is cool. However, nickle and dimeing for ingame content is a bit pan-hand-lish and should be removed. I mean your asking people that shelled out about $50 for the game to pay more for intangibles that should be included in the experience. Fix that and your perfect. 99.9 out of 100, get rid of the nickle and dimeing and you can have the 100.
  85. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the best game I've played in 2011, and even with such titles as L.A. Noire, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and The Last Guardian coming out later this year, I have no doubt that Portal 2 will be a strong contender for game of the year.

I was never much a fan of the original Portal. I thought it was well-made, but due to ridiculous amounts of hype (and, more likely than not, the
    fact that I'd seen the ending before I played the game) it never stood out to me. Its sequel has changed that. Portal 2 is nothing short of brilliant. It is absolutely perfect from start to finish, and my only complaint is that, at some point, it had to end.

That being said, Portal 2 has, the best ending of any game I've ever played. If you thought that the first game ended fantastically, or even if you didn't, Portal 2's ending will leave you in a confused state of amusement, shock, awe, and even a little bit of sadness at the knowledge that you will never be able to recreate such an amazing experience.

It's important to note, as well, that the negative reviews on Metacritic are largely from people who are upset about the in-game DLC store and do not reflect at all on the overall quality of the game.

I can not stress this enough: play Portal 2. Because it's far more than a game - it's a paragon of what every developer should strive for.
  86. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve did an amazing job with this game as they always do. I honestly can't understand the many low rated "reviews" here. It was the first game I ever pre-ordered and it was 100% worth it. The Source engine was once more improved and the game looks really good in my opinion. The storyline develops great and there are lots of twists that make the story exciting. The characters are awesome and the synchronisation is great in English and German. Especially the robot Wheatley is absolutely adorable. In the end, the story finished way better than Portal 1 did, although the Credits song (again by Jonathan Coulton) wasn't as good as the first one. Expand
  87. Apr 21, 2011
    First off, if you're going to complain about how you don't have enough money to spend on video games yet you still spend on video games, grow up and learn to be responsible with your spendings. It's not our fault you live in your parents' basement. Secondly, this game is beautiful. Skins are great, images are sharper and cleaner. Game play is smooth and the puzzles are interesting. I was worried about co-op but it's fantastic. Game play isn't as short as many people claim, you can get a good few hours out of it and that and more out of co-op. Also, there's the option to play again and try and find alternate ways to solve the levels. For the fanboys complaining about price, look at the price of all video games these days. Your $50 isn't going to pay for all the **** the developers had to do and the man hours put in to creating this game, learn to economy. As much as you claim you're never going to buy another Valve game, you are. The game is best enjoyed if you take your time to appreciate it. You're ruining it for yourself if you try and race through. Love the dialogue and the character development. The expansion of things you can do with the portals is great and promises for more hours of game time. I strongly recommend this game and encourage you to ignore the butthurt players nitpicking over the littlest things

Also: Sidenote, claiming the game is great and awesome, you just don't want to pay that much for it so you're going to buy it used and deny Valve from gaining anything ISN'T GOING TO HELP YOU. If everyone decided to do that, you would be forced to return to crap games because they wouldn't have the money to make nice pretty new ones. You had months to save up those pennies to buy a copy.
  88. Apr 21, 2011
    There are idiots out that that rate the game low scores. Why? Because of some OPTIONAL DLC? And the potato sack thing? OPTIONAL! O-P-T-I-O-N-A-L-! Besides, does the OPTIONAL DLC ruin the game if you don't buy it? Does it make the game crash if you don't buy it? The campaign is short? 6 to 8 hours, plus 2 -4 hours co-op is too short? Accept it. This game is very good, and is playable. The controls work fine, the graphics are good, the humor is nice, what more could you want? I made this account to vent my frustration at the idiots out there. Expand
  89. Apr 21, 2011
    Another absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of the benevolent and comical GLaDOS amongst an array of new and wonderfully voiced characters. Content is also provided in a healthy sum as once the single player campaign is completed, players can move on to the equally as lengthy and outstanding cooperative campaign. Portal 2 Vehemently pulls itself ahead of the crowd and will please newcomers to the franchise along with fans of the Brilliant and innovative first game a like, it is an exceptional game to say the least and will provide endless hours of fun. Expand
  90. Apr 21, 2011
    It's really rare that a video game actually ever made me laugh. The humor you usually find in video games is either really lame or horrible slap-stick stuff. Portal 2 however has a very own style of comedy that works just perfectly with the game. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant and all the hidden little gems that you can find throughout the game are just flat out brilliant.
    The art
    style is just as unique and beautiful. You can definitely see that the HL-2 engine is starting to get really old though. The constant loading screens and really low-poly level design break the immersion a little but don't take away from your enjoyment at all.
    I had a blast playing through this both solo and coop. And can recommend it to everyone.
  91. Apr 21, 2011
    I absolutely love this game. Portal was a great little game that was polished to a shine making it the dark horse of the orange box, so of course expectations were high for this one. Personally I think they were met with flying colors. The game play is fun and, at least for me, sufficiently difficult. The story was exciting and the voice acting was absolutely stellar. But let me address some of the complaints that have been dished out:
    1) Short Game play: Nay-sayers had the same issue with Portal on this one. They are relatively short games, at least if you are speed running them. However they are the perfect length for what they are. They don't overstay their welcome and have a ton of filler to pad it up to a 20 hour game, unlike many that are out on the market. Personally I would prefer a 5 hour game (albeit the first go at single player took me 10 hours) that is high in quality than 50 hours of game play that is generally filler and overall unmemorable.
    2) ARG complaints: Really guys, really? I thought that this was brilliant marketing on valves part, sure it would have been nice to release Portal 2 more than a few hours earlier, but now I have a bunch of cool games that I would probably have passed by before, and they were a steal. Plus, it's not as if Valve forced you to spend your hard earned money on the potato sack. If you did then it is on you. But no matter what the quarrels may be they shouldn't be the sole reason for marking down Portal 2, it s a great game and if your one issue is the ARG, and you gave the game a bad review, grow up.
    3) Low end graphics: Why do we need better graphics in this game? I can't think of a single instance where I thought, "You know what, if the texture on that wall was slightly more realistic, this game would be amazing". I thought it was beautifully designed game and there is no need for a graphical upgrade for the sole purpose of slowing down my computer even more.
    4) Paying for cosmetic DLC: I am sorry, did someone tie you down and force you to buy a little top hat for one of the co-op robots? If the answer is no, then you have no right to complain. It is not important to game play, Valve has done this with TF2 and no one is forcing this stuff on you, you only have to buy it if you want. For TLDR's: Portal 2 is a great game, if you want a polished, fun and memorable experience, you will love this game. Ignore the nay-sayers, and enjoy yourself!
  92. Apr 21, 2011
    Stunningly brilliant game, absolutely obliterates the original. Not sure why people say it's short.. the length is perfect and it took a good 7 hours or so to beat. Those that are speed running the game must be bots because I don't know how you can enjoy this game and finish it that quickly.. so I call BS.

The co-op is just as much fun. I finished it with my buddy last night and we're
    both at around 14 hours played now. Game of the year no doubt! Expand
  93. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is definitely worth the money. The story feels fresh and fun. This isn't portal 1.5 this is a true sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. Between the co-op and the single player you're going to get somewhere between 10 to 16 hours of some of the best crafted levels in gaming history. A lot of people complain about the cash shop. At first glance I thought it was perhaps a bit of a crock, but since then I've learned that most of the items can be unlocked (already earned 2 myself). It's all just cosmetic stuff anyway. Looking forward to the years of support and free levels this game will receive from Valve. Expand
  94. Apr 21, 2011
    Great characters, creative narrative, and excellent gameplay. What more could you want? I've been waiting for this game ever since I saw the first 15 minutes of gameplay, and was NOT disappointed.
  95. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve did it again. They have showed the world how incredible great they can produce Story, game play, Graphics and feeling. But we all knew this already. Valve always makes great games. But i cant believe that im impressed this fu**** hard AGAIN. Everything thing fits together here. Story, characters, humor, feeling, atmosphere. This Game was awesome and I can just recommend it to everyone out there, Portal 2 is a game you shouldn't miss. Expand
  96. 2tm
    Apr 21, 2011
    I was very impressed with Portal 2, pretty much all of the quips I had with the original game were fixed. The only thing I didn't like about Portal 2 is that the portals have their outlines visible through walls and I had to set a command line parameter to turn that off.
  97. Apr 21, 2011
    Without a doubt in my mind does this game live up to the sequel. It's out right hilarious, the puzzles are genuinely fun to work on, the story is great, the graphics are fantastic, the sound is perfectly placed, and I was literally smiling the entire way through the game (except a few puzzles that had me stumped for a bit ;) ). Anyone reading the user reviews should see that most of the negative ones are for silly, stupid reasons that aren't based on the actual game. THE GAME is fantastic, and that is what a review should be on. Enjoy ^_^ Expand
  98. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 built his foundation on the original game and it's perfectly right to be doing so. It remain loyal to the original while aiming in new directions. The story took a big leap, the atmosphere took a big leap, etc. The main problem that I have with the game is that it also built itself too likely to the original on one aspect. Portal was a proof of concept. It was short and just showed the capacities of the concept. Before I go on, let me point out I've only played single player. Portal 2 on the other hand, keeps those foundations and this valid concept and expands it adding new features like the gel, the plates and such. The downside is that these features feel like they weren't fully explored. It still feels like a lot of these could have offered more from the start. This also brings the fact that the game feels short. I won't blame them too much for this since making it longer would have caused some down times on the story affecting it's perfect pacing.

On and on, it just feels that at launch, Portal 2 offers use but a tease of what all these new features together could bring to the franchise. Knowing Valve, they'll probably release free expansions after a few months. Still, very good game and it's impressive the amount of content packed in those 5-6 hours it might get you to complete. Definitely a must buy
  99. Apr 21, 2011
    This very well could be a contender for the best Valve game ever made and that's quite the compliment considering Valve's excellent track record. Portal 2 surpasses it's fantastic predecessor in every way possible, better story and characters, better level design, better puzzles, and better visuals. Valve did a great job with the dialogue and humor in this game also, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a video game. The PC version is basically flawless, it plays silky smooth at maxed out settings on my PC and it looks great. I'm also glad to see that there's plenty of video and control options to mess around with in the PC version. With so many games nowadays shipping with bare bones PC support, Valve continues to demonstrate the correct way to handle PC support.

This honestly would have been the perfect game if it was just a bit longer, I beat the single player campaign in around 8 hours. Sure, 8 hours is the average length for a FPS nowadays but this game is so much fun that you can't help but want to spend more time with it.

One last complaint would be the expensive DLC. There's a store where you can purchase little aesthetic add-ons for your co-op bots but there's really no reason a single hat should cost $3. That being said, I have no doubts that Valve will eventually give us ways to get the DLC for free. They've been very generous in the past with free DLC for games like TF2 and L4D, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with Portal 2 for now.

But I still think this game deserves a 10/10 even considering it's very few flaws because Valve does so much right it would be an injustice not to give them the highest praise possible. More developers should put this amount of love into their products, the video game industry would be much better off!

1. Oct 20, 2011