9.4

1. Nov 8, 2011
    "Portal", a smart organized game created by the infamous Valve, is entertaining. It's indisputably short (2 hours), which was a major letdown, but with clean graphics it manages to hold your attention for the moment. The questions aren't baffling; any human with a brain of a elementary kid would solve the game easily. The story is pretty awesome and makes you feel like watching a movie in some sort of way. Overall, get it or alse...THE CAKE IS A LIE (if you get what I mean). Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2010
    A boring start that is needed for any great puzzle game, so that is irrelevant. Once you get past a few you will be laughing your but off in the fun lonely adventure of the aperture science research facility! Another great product from valve.
  3. Oct 17, 2010
    I have to admit that Portal is a really unique game. But I still dont understand whats so amazing about this game.I think Portal is a pretty cool game, but it´s repeative and short, compleating it will take about 2-4 hours.But the computer AI GLaDoS is an awesome "character".GLADoS is propably one of the greatest enemies of all time.But that doesnt change my opinion about Portal.For me, it was a repeative and pretty boring game with cool puzzles, nothing special.I hope that Portal 2 would be a better game than this. Expand
  4. Sep 15, 2011
    Gets pretttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttty decent after 5 hours... oh wait.... the game ends there....
  5. Oct 26, 2012
    its a very short game but fun as hell, very original and funny. it takes a no more than 30 minutes to get into the game, but than its very easy, exept the puzzles thats on a personal level for each, for me they were mostly easy. the game felt very empty, with only 1 living characters and only gladis and here heads talking, it felt just, empty. exept the short gameplay and lack of voices and characters its a must play game, one best 100 of the past 10 years for sure. and being made by valve its easy to understand how it got such succses Expand
  6. Dec 10, 2011
    Portal was, in short; short. It taught you how to play the game through a series of levels, and when you were finally trained, the game ended. It was much too easy and lacked much intellect. This game was the preparation of what would be the greatest puzzle video game of all-time (Portal 2). It needed to be the first, so that every flaw in it would be ironed out by the time of Portal 2. Even after all these insults, it was still amazing. It was very funny, had a new and interesting concept behind it, it was quotable, and best of all, memorable. Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2011
    This is one of the more innovative games I've played. The humour and wit make it so entertaining and the puzzles/quests are really interesting. I loved it and can't wait to play the second one. And who can complain about the end song? It's genius!
  8. Apr 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a very good game but a little short. VERY GOOD! And the GLADoS Battle is EPIC!
    The Turrets are very cute!
    At the first time i was a n00b and i failed a everything.
  9. gpf
    Nov 4, 2011
    i don't know how 2000 users can find portal a good game. it' innovative, but completely without any motivation. As an arcade game for free or $2,50 it would be nice. as a full blown game it's just crap.
  10. Jan 1, 2012
    Very fun to play game and i also liked how it got implemented in the half life universe instead of beeing released as completely new IP. Just get it, its not expensive and very worth to be played.
  11. Aug 23, 2012
    Portal is an entertaining adventure with only a few flaws that prevent it from "near-perfection". The game doesn't have a very complex detailed plot, but the one and only speaking character in it (GLADOS) makes it one of the best video game stories of all time. Her dark humor is one of the best parts in the game. The puzzles in the game increasingly get difficult as the game progresses (don't worry, the first few puzzles are very easy) to the point where they are so maddening that you want to throw your keyboard at your computer screen, but the moment you have your "aha-moment" and then complete the puzzle and hear an insult from GLADOS, all of the anger you previously had disappears and you feel very accomplished. The graphics are suitable but a tad bit plain for me. Portal can get very buggy and takes a very long time to load, which is probably its biggest flaw. The sound is perfect, as lines from GLADOS are more than enough to keep you satisfied. Gameplay-wise, Portal is very unique, letting your take control of a gun which lets you shoot portals you can traverse through. This leads to very interesting puzzles. Portal is an excellent game, and although you might just want to get Portal 2, for the full "Portal" experience I recommend you get Portal also. Expand
  12. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is tied for my least favorite valve game. The game is puny, puzzles are just finding the right place to aim a blue portal then making a orange one and hopping through it. The levels that aren't like that are just making portals to send random balls of energy through and the last mission witch is just running from glados. The "humor" is forced, stupid, a chuckle at best, Portal 2 is worth it, this is not. Its $10.00. And its 1 hour of gameplay with the slightest replay value. The graphics are mediocre, but only because the game is puny. The levels are small, too, with about 2 colors. Expand
  13. Aug 26, 2012
    This game won the 2007 Game of the Year Award. And I think this game really did deserve the award. With It's complex physics-based puzzles, this masterpiece of gaming will keep your mind thinking and thinking for a solution to each carefully crafted "test." Aside from all this, the game was relatively short. Which is the reason why it does not get a 10 from me. In the end, the game deserves a well earned 9 from me. Expand
  14. Nov 18, 2012
    This game is funny, this game has a great storyline, the game looks good, overall this game is awesome. i like how this game has its own style. i love this game. i finished it like 3 times, and i still can't get enough of it! It's definitly worth the low price.
  15. Dec 8, 2012
    Incredible game! The concept is great with a huge potential and it's really fun to play!
    Even after finishing it, I still enjoy to play it again.
    A must-have.
  16. Oct 2, 2010
    It is an excellent and addictive game. Must play.
  17. Nov 10, 2010
    i love this game. valve combined puzzles, humor, and an amazing enviroment into a delightful game. i admit, the game is damn short, but the game redeems itself, so for anybody who uses that as an excuse can shut up. i love valve and i cant wait for portal 2.
  18. Dec 26, 2010
    This is a one of a kind, it's a pearl in the mist of mass killing shooter games and other FPS. It's the refreshing breeze in the desert of un-creativity (though short). It's the touch of jokes in a dead laboratory and it's the delicious chocolate that always leaves you starving...
    But of course you don't have to like chocolate.
  19. Feb 24, 2011
    Portal is a innovative new look for FPS's and although short, the game is very fun to play. The only two problems I have with the game is the short length and the price.
  20. Apr 10, 2011
    Portal is a unique puzzle/platformer game. Though really short, it keeps you entertained. The challenge is simple but not easy, just enough difficulty for every kind of gamer out there. The story, visuals and sound are great, fitting the game perfectly. Portal is already a timeless classic that everyone should play at least once.
  21. Jul 5, 2011
    Pretty much the single best puzzle game I've played. Even its short length isn't enough for me to give this game anything less than a 10. Anyone who owns a PC needs to get this game. Every once and a while a game comes out that reminds you that real innovation can still happen. This is one of those games.
  22. Apr 27, 2011
    Portal was truly an amazing game. First of all i think we have to remember that although a great game, it wasn't meant to be the hit of the Orange Box. It was originally created as a fall bac game just in case the rest of the Orange Box didn't do very well. Besides that, it was an amazingly innovative game that made up for its lack of length and difficulty with its humour and game-play. I loved the game myself and wouldn't have changed a thing. Good job Valve. Expand
  23. May 15, 2012
    Awesome idea! Enjoyed it. Taking into account that you have only one weapon (in essence) - making a such addictive gameplay is truly worth of praising, Valve! Thank you! :)
  24. Nov 1, 2011
    Truly one of the best puzzle games ever with a good mix of humor sprinkled with a sense of urgency this game is mesmerizing. It draws you in and never lets go.
  25. Sep 19, 2011
    It was free, so I downloaded it. I think i fell prey to your reviews. "innovative" "exciting" you said. "Puzzles" you said. This is no puzzle game. This is an arcade, mostly. I bet the game in one run, less than 2 hours. To say there's a puzzle, you'd have to think; you don't have to think in Portal. There are two or three tricks to use, and that's it. ( 1. Fall-to-gain-momentum trick 2. Blob-goes-through-portal trick 3. Rockets-get-through-portal trick). Another thing is the humour. I liked some of the jokes, but seriously, they aren't worth listening to that damn voice for 2 hours.I mean, I thought I'll snap at my computer... irritated. The story however... is good. Not great. Above average I'd say - it has atmosphere.
    Concluding:
    "Puzzles" 2/10
    Concept: 7/10 - good idea, less than satisfactory execution
    Story: 8/10 really liked that

Of course, the source engine still holds up, the graphics are good; even though your character is made out of wood. If it's free-portal-time again, download it, play it, forget it. Wouldn't buy it. Actually, would buy it, then would regret it.

And to "download maps, dude" people - This is the place to review a game as released. There are maps, yes, but I say the game provided to me is vaguely satisfying.
  26. Jan 3, 2012
    The best game made since Tetris. Surreal, complex, with all the goodies of an indie but the backing of (who else?) Valve, all but devoid of violence, with elements of sarcastic dark humor and relaxing cuteness mixed with fearful suspense and tongue-in-cheek moments of LoLs for a story you really have to dig at to comprehend. Short, yes, but there's only so much you can do without either becoming repetitive, becoming repetitive, or throwing the average and below players at a brick wall and saying "climb." Voice acting is all done by one person if you can believe that, and the song at the end is the very definition of a cult classic. And as Yahtzee said in his review of the sequel, the only real complain that exists is the annoying fanbase who can't keep their grubby little paws off of something in order to keep it sacred. Hobbes was right. Expand
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    Now, the second one is better, but you just gotta love the first! it captured my heart and did not let go for awhile, til i played the second one at least... Found no problem with the game, expect one, the humor. The humor is funny, but unnecessary cussing (only a couple times) , made me have a guilty mind when I recommend it to someone young. It is unnecessary, just plain old outright wrong, like in games like MW1, I understand entirely different story. But in this, it stands in-between two genres, you can tell Valve makes shooters by the way it plays, and it talks, thats my only complaint. Expand
  28. Jun 5, 2012
    Oh man do I love this game. It's funny, it's cute, it's challenging (sometimes frustratingly so), and just an overall good game. It takes a little while sometimes to get used to the "thinking with portals" thing, but once you do the game is amazing. My biggest complaint (and probably my only one) is the fact that it's a jumping puzzle game but I can't see my character's feet. So I have no idea where I'm jumping to. Granted, the first-person view added to the game, I just get super frustrated when I go to jump somewhere and... Oh, I jumped completely past it when I thought i was on it. Lovely. Valve has a tendency to do this, unfortunately. But other than that, this game was beautiful and unbelievably fun. Expand
  29. May 7, 2013
    Well... It's been about 10 years since I last played a Valve game. The first one I ever played was Half-Life Uplink (demo to original HL1). And it was terrific. I finished it maybe 50 times. Then I got full HL1 and finished it a couple of times too. And then I never played a Valve game again.
    Until a week ago. I got Portal Bundle on Steam about a year ago for as cheap as 10$ or so. And I
    wish I'd play this earlier.. This game is perfect! Its somewhat short, but the storyline is very intriguing. At first you may find it strange or even boring but do not give up on it it is well worth your 3~4 hours of playtime.
    Being a grown up semi no-life I can honestly say that this game firmly holds a high rank in my top 10 games of all time (an I've played a ton of games in my life).

This is the type of game that you would sacrifice your weekday night for just to finish this last puzzle!
    Excelent choice worth any money!
  30. Oct 14, 2011
    This game should have been free as a HL2 add-on rather than being independent. Otherwise it wasn't worth it, but the DLC was worthy with the puzzle challenges and with another puzzle campaign mod. Also a short game could have expected more puzzles to solve with.
  31. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is addictive and short. I love to mess with the Portals though and sometimes I just get sucked into playing through it another time. I never get tired of playing through the puzzles and destroying GLaDOS. Expand
  32. Feb 12, 2011
    Portal is a game which requires a lot of brain work and strategy. Portal also contains bags of humour and great graphics from the Source Engine which gamers are sure to love. The only problem I have with Portal, is how short the campaign is, but nevertheless, it is made up by how challenging the levels are.
  33. Sep 3, 2010
    A very fun (and very short) little game, a FPS puzzle game, which is a genre I didn't enough know existed until now. This portal concept is something I would love to see in a straight puzzle game: no villains just tons and tons of puzzle maps to play would be amazing. However, I thought GLaDOS was a wonderful character (which is important, being the only one besides the player) who worked well as an insane killer robot. I barely fnished her off in the end, because I was having so much fun listening to her mocking dialog ("your file says you were adopted and you have no friends, ha ha!"). Highly recommend to anyone that likes puzzles or games that play with physics. Expand
  34. Aug 27, 2010
    Excellent, addictive game.
    It has an inventive concept, a funny, well-observed (well, as much as it can be) script, and some lyrical dissonance at the end that'd make Todd Edward Smith flinch.
    Yes, it IS short, but I forgave this once I heard there's a sequel coming out.
  35. Feb 3, 2011
    A very impressive game, sure it isn't the longest game in the world. But this was something fresh, something new that blew everyone away. Interesting puzzles to solve, and I cant wait for Portal 2, looks awesome.
  36. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal is a fantastic puzzle game, unlike anything else you will ever play. Each level requires you to step back and look around a 'test chamber' before attempting to reach the exit. Along the way you'll have to move 'companion cubes' and get rid of turrets, all whilst being taunted and teased by Glados, arguably the most sinister, sarcastic and funny video game antagonists of all time. Some of the puzzles appear to be impossible before they have the simplest of solutions, armed with a 'portal' gun, you can shoot an entry and exit portal onto specific surfaces and you have to navigate your way through each chamber; you can gain speed by falling through them and reach impossible platforms by placing a portal in the right place. As you play you'll come to wonder how anyone could have come up with these puzzles, they are just so intelligent. 4/5, fantastic. Expand
  37. Sep 6, 2010
    Cool game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  38. Sep 15, 2010
    When I bought the Orange Box, right after it was released, I really don't expected too much about portal, I bought that because of HL2 and TF2, but portal seemed to be a great game, it could be compared to HL2 when it was released. Something innovator, but it does not deserves 10 just because it's different, it deserves 10 because it is unique, adictive and captivating. There's no one who can fake someone (or something) like GLaDOS. Portal is unique. Expand
  39. Sep 22, 2010
    The best game I'v played, ever. The Antagonist (enemy, bad guys, ext.) is GLaDOS, the AI who runs Aperture Science, is the best enemy in any game, unlike in Halo 1 were the Covenant are basically the 'bad guys' who should be killed, GLaDOS's point of view is perfectly understandable: She is programed to be better at science than Black Mesa and without morals or ethics, even if flooding entire buildings with neurotoxins killing hundreds of scientist is the quickest/best/easiest option. I, for one, will be really looking forward to the sequel: Portal 2 Expand
  40. Sep 24, 2010
    Just great. I loved every single second of it. Played it through at least five times. It has mind-bending puzzles, hilarious dialog and just great graphics. Definitely one of the better Valve and PC titles ever created.
  41. Oct 9, 2010
    No excuse for not owning this game. It will run on most PCs even pretty old ones and the experience is unique, bringing something new and fresh into gaming. Please do yourself a favor and GET this game.
  42. Oct 15, 2010
    Up till now there is no better, funnier storyline in computer-gaming. A breath of fresh air among the hundreds of games all following the same paths, managers left and right to stop anyone being original.
    Portal dares and succeeds on all fronts. GlaDos may be borrowed, but Clarke's/Kubrick's HAL9000 never was THAT funny. Plus she was in love with me....(did she bake that cake?)
  43. Jan 13, 2011
    A very different and innovative game, not like the same FPS's we see every year. The puzzles are extremely fun and well thought out. The game is about from 3,5 - 4,5 hours long (The people who say they finished the game in 2 - 3 hours either didn't finish it or are over exaggerating , because not one puzzle got me stuck although 1 or 2 puzzles took a quite a bit of time to get right even though i knew what to do) the length didnt bother me because the game didnt need to be longer if there were alot more puzzles it would become tedious and becomes a bit boring, if they had to make it longer there would need to be much more variation in gameplay such as the ability to also shoot or more variation in puzzles. The story was kept very simple, there basically was no story but that wasnt a problem because I didnt see Portal as full game but more as a mini-game and as a incentive to the Orange Box. The visuals were as good as they needed to be and were quite good for 2007, the voice acting in my opinion was not very good and became a bit annoying at times. A lot of the "Humorous" parts of the game I just didnt find funny at all except the whole story about the "cake" . Overall all a very fun and well thought out game and I hope the Portal 2 will be even better. 8/10 for a full game and 10/10 for a mini-game. Expand
  44. Feb 3, 2011
    The Good: The writing is goddamn near perfect. The black humor, wonderful dialogue, and fantastic voice acting is perfect. The game mechanics work great, no glitches to speak of. The characterization of GLaDoS is great and make her (it?) my favorite game character. It's challenging, but not hard, the AI's decent, and the game is short, but that's good because it doesn't overstay it's welcome. The Bad: Well.....um....there's......you know what? There's nothing bad about Portal. Seriously. The Ugly: No graphics issues to speak of. The games looks great. Expand
  45. Feb 17, 2011
    First, I would like to state clearly that I enjoyed Portal just not as much as everyone else. Portalâ
  46. Oct 29, 2010
    The game is truly great. And the only negative thing about it, is the lack of multiplayer. But that is still enough to make it go from a 10 to a 6 in my opinion. It will only give you so many hours of gameplay, versus multiplayer games which give you thousands of hours.
  47. Apr 27, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = I seriously want to delve into the minds of the developers at Valve. They are just geniuses. This game is seriously unbelievable.
  48. Nov 5, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very nice experiment of VALVe. I really enjoyed it. Loved the humor, loved the voice, loved the puzzles. Well yes, it's short. But there's a lot of levels made by community. And the archievements. And the advanced chambers. And cake. Cake is not a lie. Expand
  49. Dec 30, 2010
    This game is the second best game I have ever played. It is quite short, but it is very fun and immersive. Can't wait for portal 2! Great addition to the orange box. 2000th review!
  50. Dec 13, 2010
    This is a great, fun, innovative puzzle game that I though was going to just be a fun game. But when I played it, I was blown away by its brilliance. It was probably one of the best games that I have ever played in my entire life. It is well worth the price of $15(current price) and I would bye it even for $100. The only problem is that the game is just a bit to short, but Valve is making Portal 2 now and I'm sure that they will fix that problem in Portal 2. I would deffinetly go bye this game RIGHT NOW if I were you. Expand
  51. Jan 2, 2011
    Portal has solely raised my expectations in video game humor forever. The game mechanics are absolutely brilliant and have just begun to pave an exciting road to endless possibilities. I could play this game over and over.
  52. Mar 1, 2011
    Do most people on here only know how to give 10's and 0's? The game certainly doesn't deserve a perfect 10, but it does deserve high points. Portal is an innovative game because it brings a new concept to, um, FPS (it's not really a FPS, because there is no shooting). You start out in the testing environment where the concept and control are all explained to you in such detail you'd have to be stupid to not figure it out. Once you have completed stage 19, you break out of the testing area of the facility and begin to figure out your way (following clues) to the main computer's chamber where you have to figure out how to destroy with just the portal generator in your hands and the brain in your skull. To your surprise, when that happens, the game abruptly ends, and you will be saying, "Wait, that's all!?". But along the way you will get plenty of laughs (if you have a sense of humor), and the ending credits are just priceless. There are bonus maps and achievements to earn after you beat the game. That said, this game is very lacking. First of all, there is no multiplayer, and all the 'puzzles' can be solved with a narrow set of solutions. There are no multiple paths either. You simply go in the only direction available and when you get to a spot you can't go any further, you just figure out how to keep going using your portals. Overall, the game is fun, innovative, and humorous, but hours of entertainment it will not provide as the game is so short that you will be wondering why it even cost anything at all-- even with the bonus levels. If you can get it for a few dollars, I would recommend buying it., but one thing is for certain, this game does not deserve a perfect 10 as so many have given it-- it doesn't even deserve a 9. An 8, however, is just the right score. Expand
  53. Jan 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the way Portal makes you think, but giving it a 10 would be too much! Why is this? I could basically run thru it, so there weren't any really challenging problems (they could have been a way to get bonuses or something). I think it was ok to be short, because it was based on a few, about 5-7 ideas, and didn't have a compilcated plot. What I hated about this, was the end part of the game, which was too long. The boss was ok to me.

In short: an overrated, mostly enjoyable game with a couple of great ideas
  54. Jan 23, 2011
    The most critical thing on the game is how short it is. Valve knows how to put an end to a game. I mean: Why do you want a game which requires 20 hours to finish it, if the whole game is gonna be repetitive?
    Valve done well. It's a great game, a great add to the Half Life series, and has its own light. Portal has a lot of potential. And if you are one of the guys who think that portal is
    too short, take a look at the advanced challenges, and then tell me Expand
  55. Koo
    Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. Even if you have Portal 2 I would recommend playing the original Portal. After a challenging first run through the test chambers you are treated to (surprisingly interesting) developer commentary. Additionally, there are a number of bonus maps. While not everyone will like the game's humour, I did, and any motion sickness you may experience by travelling through the portals can be solved by limiting your game time to 2 hours or less. Disorientation and motion sickness caused by travelling through the portals is the only downside to this game in my view. For the game itself though, I rate it 10/10. Expand
  56. Feb 3, 2011
    The game took me by surprise! I didn't expect that much entertainment and joy from a puzzle game! The 1st instant i started playing i became fan of portal! The way u could use surrounding and items around is something new!
  57. Feb 16, 2011
    Great game, compelling storyline and puzzles. The engine is near-perfect thanks to constant patching and expert level design. Too bad the game is too short, and the challenge maps are too easy. I can't wait for Portal 2!
  58. Nov 9, 2011
    I bought this only recently on Steam... and man, this game is pretty damn good.
    Graphics: early HL2 engine, hairy muff. - pretty good for the age (now a few years old)
    Concept: 3D puzzle ... ... (but not a shooter)... you just get a portal gun which makes. Portals!
    Everyone is getting off from the concept, but I really loved the "story", which seems to be taken somehow from 2001; space
    odyssey (HAL).

It is fairly short, finished the story in only two days. But, that said, the length felt just... "right". Just at around the time that the portal puzzles were getting old- it managed to keep pace and move the story to the last segment of the game.
    There are bonus levels and puzzles so you can be entertained a bit longer...

... and.... one of the best end sequences Ive seen in an age!! WOOOOT!
  59. Mar 3, 2011
    The game is one of the best FPP-Games out there.
    Almost the entire game is a tutorial, constantly thrusting new items and mechanic's on to you.
    The character's are well designed, especially RatMan.
    Theres not much varietey in combat though. I know the game wasn't intended to be combat-heavy, but HEY! Someone need's to tear something's liver apart everyonce in a while.
  60. Mar 14, 2011
    Portal is a challenging puzzle game from Valve. Valve is known for their fantastic, original games, and Portal is no exception. Each level is fun and creative, each puzzle unique. Portal does a fantastic job with slowly easing you into the game play, instead of forcing you to jump off the deep end. In addition to the fun puzzles, Portal keeps you entertained with the humorous commentary by GLaDOS, one of the best villains in videogame history. Although the story is short, most likely will take from 3-5 hours, depending how fast you catch on, there are a few different modes to choose from. In addition to the Developers commentary, there are separate challenges (such as least portals and least steps) for each puzzle. Finally, you can always play your fellow Portal Player map creations. In the end, this game is a must-buy for all gamers, even if you dislike puzzle games. Expand
  61. Mar 15, 2011
    first of all i was looking forward to play portal but at the end i got dissapointed the game is about 2 hours long if you know what to do if you dont it will take you a few hours more but your characters you dont knwo who she is you dont know why you are there what is going on it doesnt have a story is just solve a an easy puzzle go to next chamber and there are a total i think of 19 chambers.there are only two guns in the whole game the humor isnt that great i laugh of how pathetic it was but serioulsy valve needs to put some good story in their games Expand
  62. Feb 16, 2012
    A thrilling and mind bending experiment. Innovative, involved, and exactly what we need to see more of in gaming. Bold steps in new directions. Out of this and portal 2, I still prefer portal 2 by a wide margin. However this game deserves recognition for being truly original at the time of release. And even now really.
  63. Mar 31, 2011
    Short game but it never outstays its welcome. Great and fun level design. I laughed at a few lines, but didn't find it as amusing as I hoped but I only care about game-play and it exceeded my expectations.
  64. May 31, 2011
    I heard so much about this game that i had to try it. i bought it off steam for $9 and considering that i enjoyed this as much if not more than most AAA games yet paid less than a standard Xbox arcade game blows me away. i could not find a single flaw, i had a few audio glitches while playing on my mac but overall the graphics are still great and has no game play flaws that i could find at this price. Expand
  65. May 12, 2012
    Kinda old game for a review, but has a great concept that it's still fresh to this day, and it is still a great and original game that works, it's fun, and I enjoyed to the last. Why the 8? Well, it's very lacking: I finished it about 4-5 hours in total (but for some reasons my timer is reseted, ARGH!), and yes there are timed challenges, but in my opinion that's just a plus because it's the same levels (I would have prefered specific time challenges with proper made maps, instead). The graphics are extremely simple but works and gives a strange impression of alienation, which fits the purpose of the plot. And yes, the plot is good, but very very slow to increase the pace: only the last part of the game gets really good and interesting, with a "not bad" final boss to beat, which is good. In general, I really liked this game, especially because it was incluced within the orange box, so It was a great deal, but on it's own....well yeah, it's still worth! Expand
  66. Apr 28, 2011
    A beautiful game, very interesting and clever. If someone haven't played this game, they must have been missed one of the greatest puzzle game of all time. If there is something to complain about this game, it must be its length (I wonder if I play too fast or the game is too short, but I play it less than 4h!). The game is very fun, perhaps some puzzle is very hard to solve but actually there are several ways to pass a level. A great success project of Valve and let's check for the Portal 2 in someday!!! Expand
  67. Apr 19, 2011
    Probably my favorite game I've ever played. Funny, emotional, puzzling, and really fun. There is also a great sense of mystery to the game that makes it really fun to play at 2:00 in the morning. Portal proves that a video game can be art.
  68. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily the best action puzzle game Iâ
  69. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal has been one of my favorite games since the day I played it. It's extremely funny, really makes you think, and has lot's of replay value. If you haven't played it yet, what are you waiting for? Go buy this!
  70. Apr 24, 2011
    Although sometimes frustrating, never seemingly impossible. It takes awhile to figure out some puzzles, but I never had to actually look up a walk-through to get through it. Yes, the game is short... But it was still really enjoyable for the time I played it. And I don't really think the point of it was to be a long game, more just a fun one. Definitely a creative and original game. It's a buy.
  71. May 7, 2011
    Portal is a great game, It has a nice storyline, and the test chambers are very challenging. But after playing an old 2007 game and playing it 3 times in a row, I prefer the sequal, that just came out last month. Although the true reason i give it a 9, Is because it is a short game, and the puzzles are simple, I like the harder test chambers, But there basically extras in the design of this game. I beat Portal, 3 times. Its pretty easy once you've played it. It only took me a simple 2-3 days to beat this game. It took my friend 3 hours of sitting to beat this game, plus the boss level. This game is although a great design, and the credits song is stuck in my head, I agree you all should play portal 2, but you should seriously play THIS portal so you understand the consept of portal 2. Expand
  72. May 9, 2011
    Portal is a great concept, brilliantly executed. Wonderful, intuitive puzzle design, a great visual aesthetic, and some of the funniest dark humor narration you could want. Short but there's not a bad moment to be found and the price is low!
  73. May 10, 2011
    Short, sweet, charismatic, funny, and teased my head for awhile. The perfect length and a great experience, highly recommended for anyone that can spare the 4 or so hours it takes to complete, it's well worth it.
  74. Jul 29, 2011
    Portal in my opinion is a very original game. It offered something entirely new. It's a puzzle game but it's not just any puzzle game. It has a soul and a charm. The gameplay mainly consists of using a specialised handheld device to create 2 portals, one orange and one blue. Entering one of those instantly causes the player to exit out the other one, and this simple element alone is utilised in a variety of ways to solve a wide range of different puzzles, involving buttons and cubes, turrets, electricity balls and death traps. Additionally to the puzzle solving, the game has a somewhat of an interesting humourous feel to it, ending up with a wide variety of inside jokes that many people still use on the net repeatedly. So far the main drawback for me is that the game is very short, even though it's short and sweet. There are additional challenges that get unlocked once you complete the game, but if you've enjoyed this and want a full-length game, then I'd highly suggest you try Portal 2. Expand
  75. Dec 9, 2011
    When people saw the trailers for Portal, they knew it would be a fun mechanic, but nobody expected the amazingly engrossing character of GlaDOS. These two factors combine to make one of the most original PC games of all time.
  76. Jun 6, 2011
    I can not see why 39 people say this game is bad. I mean, if it's because the game is short, just get Portal 2. But Portal 1 is still awesome! Well, some people could say you could complete it in a day, but that's a lie, just like the cake. It can take up to 2 weeks to complete. I mean, I completed it in 4 days. But the challenges make wanna play it over and over!
  77. Jul 3, 2011
    Unique uses of portals, plus dark humor, plus plot, gives this game....not quite all ten. Why? I wish they would have came up with this idea sooner, because the game is REALLY short (2-3 hours average). And getting the 2nd game, I felt like there could have been no need for a sequel (yet) if Portal would have been a hit already.
  78. May 27, 2011
    While a short game, the high level of polish and wonderful humor have this game as a comparison point for almost all modern games to be held to. The style, level design, and humor come together to make a wonderful, easy to play (though sometimes hard to beat), enjoyable game.
  79. Jun 17, 2011
    The simplicity to this game in one aspect makes the story a little bit more disturbing and mysterious than its sequel. GLaDoS seems to be a glitching robotic system that has an unintentional desire to kill through her little glitches, which slowly evolves into an obvious artificial-intelligent insanity. The game is very well-made and is one of the best first-person puzzle games out there, and it's one of the best Valve games out there. The game is very short, but very fun. I can probably beat it in about half an hour and still have a great time doing it. The story is simple enough, but yes it has some very disturbing aspects about the implied history of the machine intelligence GLaDOS, and the portal system itself is very inventive and entertaining. This is a game you have to play at least once, just like it's sequel. Expand
  80. Jun 14, 2011
    this game is amazing. i notice that it is short, and im okay with that because it was just suposed to be a quick little game on the orange box so that people might ask for a sequel, all the other orange box games may be long but all of them were sequels, along with epic. this game is a full time puzzle game with some fun humor. all puzzle games once you think about are actually short, but finding out the puzzle is what makes it long. and does length really matter? if its a fun game then don't gripe about the game. it is fun. Expand
  81. Jun 12, 2011
    Clever, puzzle game, which changed a genre. Still no perfect, as it was quite short, and it was too linear, both in terms of whole jurney through the all puzzles. Hovewer even with single tool, you still have multiple ways to solve each puzzle.
  82. Sep 26, 2011
    Portal is one of the few games to exist in the industry that contains some genuine science fiction. Its an obvious opportunity of interactive games to create original science fiction but sadly is missing by most popular titles in the industry. Portals focus on good design and puzzle solving rather than the immaturity of violence and 'bad-ass'ness makes it stand out as intelligent from the dumb gaming crowd. Portal is funny, intelligent, flawlessly designed and does not over stay its welcome - the short length is by design and is a good thing. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Expand
  83. Jun 21, 2011
    Portal by Valve, was at first, nothing more than a test for the new physics system, now it has it's own sequel. Awesome graphics, outstanding gameplay, a great storyline, and a well thought out series of tests and challenges combine to make this ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER!!! I highly recommend it. It's money well spent.
  84. Jul 4, 2011
    I have heard countless reviews praising this game for its innovation and dry humor as well as Jonathan Coulton's â
  85. Jul 5, 2011
    Valve you did it again, you created a whole new idea to add you your arsenal are games this game along with portal 2 are just a must have must experience game worth the 50$ but i'm patience and waited for the summer sale 30$ =p
  86. Jul 15, 2011
    Portal introduced a brand new and exciting way to play games, and even though it was short, it has so much potential. The puzzles, dialogue, and of course, the song at the end can not make this a bad game. Valve still put a lot of effort into a game they were unsure about as they do with all of their games. The puzzles are somewhat hard at first but never frustrating, which makes the game so much fun to play again and again and again. It can be finished in 1-3 hours if you're smart, and maybe even half an hour, but there are challenges and acheivements you can complete, and of course, dozens of fan-made maps and mods. Valve just gave us a taste of this addictive cake, and we are still hungry for more, even after Portal 2, which accelerated the portal mechanic and gave it more power. Expand
  87. Jul 17, 2011
    Portal is a great Puzzle Game. The Puzzles are Great, The Graphics are better then the Sequel, the Humour is good. And it may be short but once you beat it you unlock Advanced Maps, these are alot more Challenging and add even more fun. Portal continues to provide you with fun even after you've beaten it. It's a great Game, but my only Complaint would be the fact it's very short
  88. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    Yes, I realize Portal was very short. But I would rather have a quality game that lasts about six hours than a piece of trash that lasts 20. And Portal is one of the most innovative, funniest, and mind-numbing games you will ever play. The puzzles are challenging enough to be satisfying, but not so tough that they're impossible to solve. Add to that the dark humor of GLaDOS and the best video game song ever, and you've got an amazing game. Expand
  89. Jul 22, 2011
    This game is really short, but seriously, what a pleasure to play it.
    It's fun and inventive, incredibly, you need to think the first time you play it, I mean, you really need to think about how to resolve tests, not all of couse, but it is different of all this ultra-over-shooting games which are really boring.
  90. Jul 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of my favorite games of all time! Although it sounds like a stupid game if you explain it to someone that's never heard of Valve before, people really give it a chance. It' s a post-apocalyptic first-person puzzle game, about an old science research company, and you are one of the last humans after a hostel take-over of the evil robot/computer, GLaDOS, and are forced to complete a series of pointless puzzles, being promised a cake at the end, but finding out the hard way that it is a lie!I t's a great game! I really recommend it! Expand
  91. Aug 1, 2012
    This game's really good if you get it on sale on Steam. People who complain about how short the game is need to remember that this game was pretty much an afterthought in the Orange Box. It's a quick game. Not as difficult as Portal 2.
  92. Aug 5, 2013
    Innovative and interesting, but for me not very fun, some puzzles whee better than others, but the most memorable moment was the credits with "still alive" sad when the most memorable moment in your game is the credits.
  93. Aug 13, 2011
    best game I have ever played. creative game play, nice puzzle design. plot is also good. but this game is a little short. Orange Box is really cheap though, I think everyone should play it.
  94. Aug 16, 2011
    Pros: Everything
    Cons: Gets a bit hard from time to time (Turrets are Pains in the ass)
    Summary: A bit hard but if you have quick fingers it can be considered 10/10
  95. Dec 21, 2011
    I got this game for free after winning a Steam competition (Bonus!) and have already played through and finished Portal 2 so playing this game was really quite hard for me at first because of the high expectations I gave it but it quickly grew on me... Almost as fast as I finished it. After two hours I finished it and that does sound very short but I felt like it stayed just enough as not to outstay it's welcome, like when you let a hobo in your house on a rainy day and he leaves after a coffee and when the rain stops, unlike some games where the hobo would stay after the rain has stopped and refuses to leave until you're forced to enjoy his company before he actually decides to high-tail it! Overall, very fun game with lots of challenges along the way that I thoroughly enjoyed so I give it an amazing ten out of ten! Expand
  96. Sep 9, 2011
    A magnificent game that is only stained by its length. While the game lasts around 5 to 7 hours the first time you play, you'll easily finish it in less than 3 hours once you know how to complete the puzzles. However, Portal brings you in a very unique universe and that what it's all about. You'll enter a world that is unbelievably cute but dangerous at the same time: this is why Portal is so particular. Your brain will be your best friend. You have no weapon, besides a gun that fires two linked portals. The designers made the levels in a clever way with several ways to solve them. But what is even better is that you don't even *see* the other ways until you reach the "hard" mode of the game: indeed, you even have more challenges waiting for you in the very same rooms that you passed in the normal adventure after completing the game. And you'll see that... you'll eventually start thinking with Portal. Expand
  97. Sep 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't like bad things so let's clear them up now:
    It's too short: I kept waiting for training to end, but training is the game
    The last battle is too easy: the timer's for 6 minutes!

That is all:

This game is the best PC game ever!!!!
    Through the 2 hours that you play, GLaDOS will guide you through the test chambers, while trying to kill you, and you must solve puzzles, and in the end, escape Aperture laboratories.
    You can't deny the brilliance of this game...
    unless you like COD...
    from start to finish, so pick it up NOW.

+ Addictive as heck
    +Humour is great
    + COD lovers will go away
    -Its too short
    - Last battle disapoints

96%
  98. Sep 20, 2012
    When I found out that there is such a game called Portal i decided to try a demo version. After completing 2 levels all my doubts about buying it or no went all the way outta window. Next day i went to the store and bought it. Now I have the game 100 % completed, 50 hours spent playing it on Steam and one thing I can say - it is the work of genius. In fact, a crew of geniuses - Valve. What they managed to deliver here are unique atmosphere and puzzles that can challenge both newbies and hardcore sons'O'biches. Some people say - the game is f'n short. My answer is - try time, step and portal challenges and you'll see that you were wrong. The voice acting is brilliant, as it combines humor with sci-fi touched scary monologues. The story is great too - it has this you-didn't-expect-this hilarious moment. Some can say that it's not so cool when you play Portal for the 2nd, 3rd time - you already know what will happen. I think it would be great to have a memory eraser to play it like the first time. And, by the way, Portal gave birth to characters that are among the most popular in game industry now. You know who I'm talking about, monsters._) Expand
  99. Sep 16, 2011
    Ellen McLain's performance in Portal 2 made her an instant hit with Valve fans. McLain shows an amazing talent with voice acting, and singing.

Portal, itself showed gamers a new way of thinking. It was rare to see a game that was so much fun without shooting everything in sight, which made Portal different from a general game. The storyline is brilliant and clever. Portal wasn't too short
    at all. It wasn't a game - It was a test. A test that did so well it got itself an amazing sequel that sold millions of copies. Those who gave Portal 10 would agree - Portal is a game you will never forget. Even when your old and senile. Expand
  100. Sep 18, 2011
    This is probably one of the most creative games that will ever be put on the market.

The game was not meant to be long, it was meant to be fun, and enjoyable throughout the whole game. Although many people complain about how short the game is, if you really think about it, there are more than 18 chambers in the game with some complex puzzle solving. The simplicity of the game is what
    makes it the best game there is out there, and now it's free, and if you don't own the orange box already, or you are thinking of buying portal alone, its definitely worth the money. But, if you are not willing to buy a game that is fairly short, you might wanna look into renting it. Well worth the money. Expand

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.