Portal PC

9.3

1. JohnB.
    Sep 20, 2008
    Greatest game of all time, and I don't say that lightly. Beats out Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Knights of the Old Republic, Ocarina of Time, and Final Fantasy 7, knocking 7 off my top 5 when it came out. So what if it's only 2 hours long? I've never had a better 2 hours in any other game.
  2. BlakeC.
    Sep 29, 2008
    Portal is AMAZING, Valve defiantly struck gold here. The only letdown, it was too short! This could easily be a full length game, alike half life etc.
  3. MattT
    Sep 9, 2008
    VERY high graphics, even on the lowest, amazing plot, gameplay is not bad, just the lag... Somewhat confusing in some areas, feels like I wanna cheat, GOOD GRAPHICS though.
  4. Tribor
    Dec 2, 2009
    Can't agree with you there Lee W., because the thing is many puzzle games have only one linear path. Most if not all puzzles only have one solution, but it is how you get there that matters. There were many subtle and inventive ways to solve the portal levels, which was pretty much the point of the extra challenges that come with the game. It tests out your skills and pushes you to Can't agree with you there Lee W., because the thing is many puzzle games have only one linear path. Most if not all puzzles only have one solution, but it is how you get there that matters. There were many subtle and inventive ways to solve the portal levels, which was pretty much the point of the extra challenges that come with the game. It tests out your skills and pushes you to think outside the box. As for the plot, although it can seem a bit cliché, the great voice acting makes up for it and will keep you entertained. GLaDOS really makes the game stand out. The Portal turrets, even if they are simple duplicates of the Half-Life 2 ones, become distinct when they turn out to be just as scary as Poison Head Crabs : it is the absolute worst thing ever when they pop out. Excellent game which has some great potential. The short game span only leaves you wanting more. Expand
  5. DanielP
    Dec 9, 2009
    First of all, for you shoot-em-up people. THIS IS NOT A ACTION BASED GAME. Its purpose is to provide a good story line, new ways of thinking, less violence. All bundled up in to a nice presentation. Granted the game is short but you can still get stuck. But if you have a good computer and you have good internals than this should be a worthwhile game to get. Besides you people that give First of all, for you shoot-em-up people. THIS IS NOT A ACTION BASED GAME. Its purpose is to provide a good story line, new ways of thinking, less violence. All bundled up in to a nice presentation. Granted the game is short but you can still get stuck. But if you have a good computer and you have good internals than this should be a worthwhile game to get. Besides you people that give this game zeros because it can't play it, you should invest on a better computer not a high graphics game. Expand
  6. AnonymousMC
    Apr 4, 2009
    The negative comments actually amuse me. They say that it is too short, there's no plot, it's too easy, it's unoriginal. You need to remember that this was included as an extra for Orange Box, and that even if you buy it seperately it costs less than a cellphone top-up. Of course it's short. And if you find it easy, then KUDOS, but even once you understand it it can beThe negative comments actually amuse me. They say that it is too short, there's no plot, it's too easy, it's unoriginal. You need to remember that this was included as an extra for Orange Box, and that even if you buy it seperately it costs less than a cellphone top-up. Of course it's short. And if you find it easy, then KUDOS, but even once you understand it it can be frustratingly (but wonderfully) difficult to get through the later levels, and if you found it TOO easy there are enough challenges in the Advanced Maps and Challenge Maps to keep you amused, adding replay value. The change after Room 19 marks a change in the game, and this is absolutely brilliant because it's similar enough to the first half to keep you playing on and working through the puzzles with jolly curiosity, but is different enough that it doesn't let the game become repetitive. The plot is wonderful, developing slowly as it does, from the first awakening from stasis and being thrown into a challenge you appear to know nothing about, to the final few levels when your suspicions about the benignity of GLaDOS come to fruition. The fact that so much is left unanswered only adds to this, leaving you to draw your own conclusions. (Personally, I think GLaDOS secretly loves her test subjects, but is completely batshit insane and tests them to show they are worthy of it.) As for unoriginal... That's just a lie spouted by idiots who couldn't work out the momentum mechanic. Of course it's the same as every other game if you use a walkthrough for every game... ;p.
    In conclusion; Portal is one of the best short games I have played, and if you have the patience and the mental skills it is well worth the money. But if you're the kind of person who doesn't like it unless you asplode a fays every 5 seconds, then don't bother; Portal doesn't need you. It will thrive despite your failures, and fans will always recruit their friends to it. It will survive your failure.
  7. valve.
    Jun 27, 2009
    The game was great the levels were fun and original it was a little short of a game but it was only 10 bucks. and to al the idiots complaining about itYOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN MAPS or download maps at halomaps.0rg!! so stop complaining and ahve fun with a great game engine also thers a mod called portal prelude (google it) its 90 times harder and a very different game.
  8. JosefH
    Jan 21, 2010
    This may very well be the greatest game I have ever played. No incredibly complex one-hundred commands, and five powers for each of them. You have the ability to walk, jump, push buttons, carry things, and make a portal that links to another portal on most walls/ceilings. The puzzles are all very fun, and once I completed the first half of the game, I was about ready to class it as my This may very well be the greatest game I have ever played. No incredibly complex one-hundred commands, and five powers for each of them. You have the ability to walk, jump, push buttons, carry things, and make a portal that links to another portal on most walls/ceilings. The puzzles are all very fun, and once I completed the first half of the game, I was about ready to class it as my favourite puzzle game, which I could come back to at any point. Then the story kicked in. I can tell you that in all honesty, it is a brilliant execution of a brilliant story. It may very well be th shortest game I've ever played, but for the hour or two I was inside it, I was living it, and I enjoy reliving it over and over. Simply put; if you enjoy simple ideas being executed with challenging puzzles, then buy The Orange Box/Portal. You will not regret it. Expand
  9. MarcoA
    Jan 21, 2010
    The game is great. Very well designed, very nice puzzles, this new gameplay is marvelous. I had (and still have) great time playing it!
  10. Ian
    Nov 10, 2007
    Brilliant Witty Fantastic Silly Inventive Smart Mind Blowing Exciting Edge-of-your-seat Otherwise - A revolution in the FPS Genre.
  11. BlakeB
    Nov 1, 2007
  12. JasonW
    Nov 11, 2007
    Beautifully designed and easy to grasp. But hard to master. Any reviews here complaining about play time (the main campaign) have missed the point. The game gets truely challenging once you unlock the extras and try to get the achievements. Fun, very replayable and nicely slotted into the Half Life mythology.
  13. VernonR.
    Nov 12, 2007
    One of the best games ever. Great game-play with outstanding plot and comedy!
  14. J.L.
    Nov 13, 2007
    The best game, and funniest, I have played in a long while -- and without having to shoot anything... Great game and with an ending promising more. Hopefully more of the same!
  15. WilliamM.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Game was completely different totally unexpected i really enjoyed playing it i only found that the game ended short but then again there is advance mode and more to unlock.
  16. J.J.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Easily the cleverest thing in the Orange Box.

As a long time HL fan (10 years now? Dear God!), I was seriously disappointed in Episode 2. Valve, however, apparently accomplished their mission to make it a hit for new players and console owners. But enough of that. TF2 is beautifully rendered, in a NC-17 Pixar sort of way. Not a lot of new gameplay, but for what it is, it's
    Easily the cleverest thing in the Orange Box.

TF2 is beautifully rendered, in a NC-17 Pixar sort of way. Not a lot of new gameplay, but for what it is, it's fully realized.

Anyway, Portal isn't perfect. It could be longer. It could be more complex. It is, however, fun. Clever, capricious, and fun.
    Did I mention fun? Portal gives clear signs of the new blood at the Valve offices.

How many Valve games have an ending we can all agree is good?
    How about a dessert-obsessed genetically modified DOS machine singing an archly comic ditty while the credits roll? Excellent? You bet.

The cake is a lie!
  17. Libra
    Nov 18, 2007
    Interesting concept, but gameplay gets repetitive after a while. I didn't enjoy the gameplay all that much, but I loved the rest. The use of suble humour and hints of backstory was nothing short of genious and the general atmosphere of the game is perfect. It does lack replayability, but oh-so amazing that firs time round.
  18. RobertB.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Was a fun game and a challenge to think of what to do next. Was short but fun and somewhat addicting. At least there is cake at the end :D
  19. StevenH.
    Oct 12, 2007
    Really fun and polished looking game, althought would have been nice to be a little longer.
  20. RyanP.
    Nov 29, 2007
    This was my favorite game in the orange box even though they are all very fun to play. I thought this game was challenging but not to difficult. While the game focuses on solving puzzles there is a lot of subtle but hilarious notions throughout the game. This game is very addictive as well.
  21. NateC.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Very innovative and even humorous. The robotic dialogue had me laughing every few minutes. The 19 missions do go by fairly quickly, only taking 3 hours to complete. However, there are some "advanced" courses that Im still having a difficult time completeing. But it was an amazingly fun addition to the Orange Box and I can't wait to see what they'll do with the portal series next.
  22. DyingW.
    Nov 30, 2007
    Fantastic game, full of personality and light on plot. As soon as I heard about Portal, I immediately got a copy of Narbarcular Drop, just to try out the idea, and it made me want it even more. Can't wait for a Portal 2 to come out, or some kind of integration into a new Half-Life plot! ...because everywhere I go, I find myself thinking with Portals.
  23. MikeG.
    Oct 14, 2007
    Portal is a great game for a challenge of the mind and skill of the hand. The extra levels to be unlocked were also quite challenging. Valve made another great product and it will even make you smile or even laugh a few times. If you do not yet have Portal, I would suggest at least giving it a try. Patience is a good quality to have! That is if you plan on having "cake"!
  24. WN
    Oct 14, 2007
    Fun, innovative, extremely humourous, and Stimulates the mind. Alot of fun and the possibility of hours of repeat game play. I got a HUGE kick out of the end.
  25. Mouse
    Nov 4, 2007
    Great game, I really enthuse everyone to play it. I feel compelled to achieve all of their little goals because well, the game rules!
  26. AndrewH
    Nov 4, 2007
    Very very fun concept. usually i dont play puzzle games but this one had me hooked. and for the price, how can you go wrong? i wouldn't say its short because of the high replay value of this game. also Episode 2 and TF should be enough to keep anyone busy.
  27. Anonymous
    Oct 15, 2007
    This game was absolutely amazing, it had exeptionally deep gameplay and a constantly developing plotline and plenty of humor, was also nicely tied into the Half-Life universe.
  28. Technicha
    Oct 17, 2007
    Awesome game. The gameplay never gets old. Gameplay is also explained very simple but is very advanced once you get to play it. Storyline was good but a little weird, i didn't understand a couple of things.
  29. LeoA.
    Oct 17, 2007
    Great puzzle game, smooth performance, well done for the initial release. Darkly humorous similar to Half Life 2, I'll play this one to the end, if I can make it.
  30. GarethL.
    Oct 17, 2007
    Brilliant. To quote 'Zero Punctuation' - The most fun you will have till they create a force-feedback codpiece.
  31. TobyO.
    Oct 17, 2007
    Rarely does a game change the way you think or view the world. Rarely does a game bring something totally new and refreshing to the table. Rarely does a puzzle game have more personality and charm than any number of RPGs. Portal succeeds in doing all this and more. It will haunt your dreams, my friends.
  32. MichaelS.
    Oct 17, 2007
    An excellent brain game that would be rated 10 if it wasn't so damnded short. I beat the game in about 3 hours - one sitting to be exact, and finished the bonus material in about 2 more hours. I woulda liked it to be a little bit longer, but it was still fun, and the price is right in the Orange Box package!
  33. Rat
    Oct 17, 2007
    Exceptionally well done, and leaves the door wide open for mappers and modders. The subtle storyline leaves us gasping for more - the depth of the unknown looming over us as the most delightful credits since Warcraft 3 scroll up... As everyone says: Wish we had MORE!
  34. JoshuaB.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Some of the best writing a game has had in a very very long time. Clever puzzles, FANTASTIC voice, and the most rewarding and friggin great ending a game has had in forever with "STILL ALIVE".
  35. AndresS.
    Oct 18, 2007
    This is, without a doubt, a truly masterpiece. It's bizarre humor and simple concept proved to be a succesful combination. This is a must play.
  36. AndréM.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Very fun. Much innovative. Perfect graphics. Extremely good gameplay. No hard bugs. Interesting, smart and intelligent. A unique game.
  37. TH
    Oct 19, 2007
    One of a kind. This is a game for everyone, whether your into FPS, Puzzlers, RPGs - it doesn't matter; you'd be crazy to miss this title. It's got a simple, but intersting story; something that will reveal itself in the most perfect way. In the end, I'd file this under "Comedy".
  38. RobF.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. The music, the character, the intricate puzzles, the dark humour, it's all fantastic. Portal does in two hours what most games can't do in twenty.
  39. BlakeB
  40. LukeM.
    Oct 21, 2007
    I found this game to be fun to play and very replayable. The script is very funny and I can't wait to see what it brings to the half-life universe. I have so far played this game 8 times and will continue to play it again and again.
  41. ChristopherS.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Humour and puzzles are spot-on for an entertaining and fun game. Now all we need are some new puzzles created by the community and an add-on pack; who needs Half-Life 2? We've got all the physics puzzles we need in one game!
  42. AnonymousMC
    Oct 21, 2007
    I honestly think anyone who plays this game (gamer or non-gamer) will enjoy it. The concept of the portal gun is absolute genious. A bit too short though. Took me 2.5 hours. I guess this really was just a quick test of the portal physics, but it turned out extremely well. i'd give it an 8.5 for the great puzzles, nice enviornments, hilarious GLaDOS voice work, and the sickestI honestly think anyone who plays this game (gamer or non-gamer) will enjoy it. The concept of the portal gun is absolute genious. A bit too short though. Took me 2.5 hours. I guess this really was just a quick test of the portal physics, but it turned out extremely well. i'd give it an 8.5 for the great puzzles, nice enviornments, hilarious GLaDOS voice work, and the sickest end-credits song EVER. Play it as soon as you can. Short but very sweet. Expand
  43. KevinD.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Easily one of the most original FPS games ever that will have you hooked the second you step through your first portal. The game play makes you feel smart and clever at every puzzle completion... not too many games can give you the feeling that you're a genius. Especially when you're not. ;-)
  44. RickT.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Three letters: F-U-N!! Yes, it's "short", but it's like a rich dessert (cake?)... just the right portion size to make you crave another helping! I love HL, Unreal Tourney, Q3, and Elite Force. But Portal is the only game in that bunch that had me _smiling_ :) afterwards. Absolutely fantastic!
  45. BobB.
    Dec 19, 2007
    Well put together, It is nice that the focus on solving puzzles is an integral part of Half Life. I wish Portal had more levels. It was a blast!
  46. Benjamin
    Oct 22, 2007
    An instant classic. I havn't seen a game this original since Descent, and that was 12 years ago! GLaDUS is hilarious and clever, the gameplay is unique and groundbreaking, and the replayability is tremendous! Right down to the credits this game keeps you coming back for more!
  47. JonathanW.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Absolutely the most entertaining game I've ever played. From the innovative, mind-warping gameplay, to the side-splitting deadpan humor of GLaDOS, to the end credits - what a well-polished masterpiece. Yes, it's very short. Play through the advanced and timed rooms for some more fun. An instant classic!
  48. JasonK.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This game is outstanding, period. I don't have much time to play games anymore so the length of this game was perfect for me. Speaking of which, the game never loses its pase and it's extremly fun from the minute you start to the end of the credits (which is amazing as well). This game really captured the immersion factor. Needless to say I was on the edge of my seat when a new This game is outstanding, period. I don't have much time to play games anymore so the length of this game was perfect for me. Speaking of which, the game never loses its pase and it's extremly fun from the minute you start to the end of the credits (which is amazing as well). This game really captured the immersion factor. Needless to say I was on the edge of my seat when a new obstical was introduced or when the dialog kicked in. Expand
  49. MathiasB.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Outstanding gameplay! When making a game it is always difficult to make something whitch has not been made before ... This is somthing whitch is new and less destrucktive.
  50. AdamM.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Definitely the best game I've played in a while. The game play was amazing, but the plot/storyline makes the entire experience unforgettable.
  51. C.F.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Great game, a little short on first look, but you seem to forget around chamber 14 :P Definitely worth the 10 dollars for its innovative gameplay, good graphics, and interesting plot.
  52. FlorianV.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Brilliant! This game has everything: A plot - you don't know how it will turn out in the end; Sound, music and graphics add to the game - they do not dominate the game; A new idea - alas, the idea alone would be worth a ten; Skill AND mind are required to play the game; Great humor - without being ridiculous, not even once; This all adds up to an outstanding game. I love it!
  53. TylerB.
    Oct 23, 2007
    The only reason this is a 9/10 is length. Short but so funny and so good, it makes me wanna eat some moist, delicious, oh-so-good cake. The AI in game is quite funny in a serious tone which states that someone at Valve has witty humor to spare for a sequel. In the end, this felt like a physics tech demo with a good comedy routine added in, and is worth buying as part of the Orange Box. The only reason this is a 9/10 is length. Short but so funny and so good, it makes me wanna eat some moist, delicious, oh-so-good cake. The AI in game is quite funny in a serious tone which states that someone at Valve has witty humor to spare for a sequel. In the end, this felt like a physics tech demo with a good comedy routine added in, and is worth buying as part of the Orange Box. Alone it is a bit pricey at $20 for something that lasts a few hours. The only way to get better is a sequel with more maps and more humor!! Expand
  54. TheCaptain
    Oct 24, 2007
    I officially declare this one of my favorite games ever. It's only short coming, length, would be called bad if it were the opposite as well. If it were too long it might have pushed back Orange Box's release date just to add more of the same. It didn't over stay it's welcome and had every concept once to see it, again to fully understand it and then combined with I officially declare this one of my favorite games ever. It's only short coming, length, would be called bad if it were the opposite as well. If it were too long it might have pushed back Orange Box's release date just to add more of the same. It didn't over stay it's welcome and had every concept once to see it, again to fully understand it and then combined with others to make it as complex as it could get. Any more and it would have been boring and you might have given up before the absolutely amazing ending. By the way, the ending was amazing. Expand
  55. TrentC.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Wonderfully crisp & crunch game play. The only qripe is the length and current lack for additional bonus maps.
  56. JamesR.
    Oct 25, 2007
    This is the absolute best First Person game ever created. I do not care that it was short, because playing with portals is THAT much fun.
  57. AlasdairR.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Short, but easily my favourite of the Orange Box games. Incredibly witty script, with great vocals for the AI, fantastic level design and storyline. I can't wait to see how Aperture Science is included in Half-Life 2: Episode 3.
  58. ForrestG.
    Oct 26, 2007
    While a bit on the short side, this game has managed to consume over 40 hours in the last two weeks. The unique style of game play is fantastic. I hope to see many add-on levels in the future; I know I am looking forward to mapping my own puzzles.
  59. FabrizioC.
    Oct 26, 2007
    I've just finished a few levels, but I can assure you this game is amazing! Very good graphics, plot and balance: it really is a "must have" if you like puzzle gaming. Good job, Valve!
  60. SethH.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Game of the Year. It finally brings something fresh to the FPS. I've played through it 4 times now. If I had one complaint it would be that it needs to be longer. Regardless of length it is still a stellar game.
  61. PhilL.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Great Game, fantastic use of the Source Engine maybe just a bit short though!
  62. StewartW.
    Oct 31, 2007
    This has got to be the best game ever. It even supersedes Half-life 2, in my opinion. It's only downfall is it's shortness; although I have strong faith that the community will take the map scene very far - with portal maps already out. I WANT MORE!!!
  63. ChrisD.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Simple consept, amazing game play, mind expanding consepts, fantastic ending song, great humour. Such a good game!
  64. AnthonyY.
    Jan 15, 2008
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead! I think this was an amazing game. Perfect length, wonderful challenges, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Valve has in store for us next in this genre.
  65. NickC.
    Jan 24, 2008
    Kickin' game. short, but much longer could have made the game a little repetitive. innovative. i was describing it to my wife as a first person puzzle game.
  66. MariuszM.
    Jan 29, 2008
    The game is great but the idea is even better, finish level 14 in 50, 10, 4 seconds? yes, thats called thinking with portals, Challenge maps are almost as fun as the game itself.
  67. CaseyY.
    Jan 31, 2008
    A short but perfect game. Some of the challenges seem too difficult, but for those with that urge to never give up. It is ultimately satisfying.
  68. KennyP.
    Feb 12, 2008
    I had much entertainment from this game. I've played a couple puzzle games and this is ultimately my favorite. With a new type of gameplay and way of solving I couldn't resist beating it in 1 day. Although it's basically 2-3 hours of playtime, the challenges add to it. The humor also kept me giggling through every room.
  69. WilliamA.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Started and did not stop. game is one of the best I have ever played. Really makes you think.
  70. MiMiselphaneye
    Feb 15, 2008
    Awesome. Deserves less than a 10, more than a 9. So it gets a 10.
  71. CE
    Feb 18, 2008
    This game is for those who like more of a challenge than a simple shoot em up. The game has a type of dark humor that I find delightful and though it may be short I think in a way it was almost the perfect amount of time. Heed this warning though you fan boys of Halo and other games of mindless violence, this isn't for you and might be too complex for you.
  72. Berg
    Mar 18, 2008
    The only game I've rated. It's a genius piece of work.. and the end-credit-music is. I play it over and over just to hear the song again. Games ought to be fun, and this is it!
  73. BlakeB
    Mar 19, 2008
  74. AmosH.
    Mar 23, 2008
    This is one of the most intriguing, creative, games I have played in a long time. Defiantly outside of the box. I hope to see more in the future.
  75. RonaldA.
    Apr 14, 2008
    Excellent game, orange box is the best games for the best value ever seen!!
  76. AndreasL.
    Apr 22, 2008
    This game got everything HL2 got, just that the excitement come to you by another path, and this time, harder!
  77. FabienD.
    Apr 24, 2008
    This game is really the most awesome title I had the chance to play this year. Great job, Valve Team!
  78. AndrewL.
    Apr 25, 2008
    Awesome!!!!! One of the freshest gaming experiences in a while.
  79. GaiusJ.
    Apr 26, 2008
    The game is phenomenal. It has good graphics capabilities; if you have the hardware then it can be really pretty. The genius of the game is its creativity. Regardless of the graphics, the game is simply fun, creative, humorous, and engaging in ways that I have not seen in a very long time. The only serious downside of this game is that it cannot be easily integrated into other source The game is phenomenal. It has good graphics capabilities; if you have the hardware then it can be really pretty. The genius of the game is its creativity. Regardless of the graphics, the game is simply fun, creative, humorous, and engaging in ways that I have not seen in a very long time. The only serious downside of this game is that it cannot be easily integrated into other source games. Buy it, you will thank yourself! Expand
  80. SeanM.
    Jun 22, 2008
    This game was great from start to finish and had a sense of humor that I understood. MC Escher approves!!
  81. ChuckS.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Outstanding. This game makes you think and the humor adds to the fun. Highly recommended!
  82. JeremyD.
    Jul 13, 2008
    One of the most intriguing games I have played in a while.
  83. Caleb
    Jul 15, 2008
    Amazing game. The brevity of it makes you want more and you are never bored and around every corner is a new, and often hilarious, surprise. I have beaten this game several times and it never gets old. Portal is definitely the best game I have ever played.
  84. RuturlinP.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Very innovative and addictive game, but way too short! A player will took may be 5 to 7 hours to get past all the 19 "story-mode" levels. But worth the cost! Please give us more!
  85. RomaM
    Nov 15, 2009
    Awesome. And we thought good logic games are only made by indie developers
  86. DominikG
    Nov 19, 2009
    Gameplay that was never there before, a neat combination of egoshooter and logic puzzle. Players need both brain and precision, a combination which many first person shooters lack. Also, the story fits really well into the Half-Life story, but is also conceivable as a stand-alone game. The storyline is in itself consistent, and John Coulton's song at the end make it all fit together. Gameplay that was never there before, a neat combination of egoshooter and logic puzzle. Players need both brain and precision, a combination which many first person shooters lack. Also, the story fits really well into the Half-Life story, but is also conceivable as a stand-alone game. The storyline is in itself consistent, and John Coulton's song at the end make it all fit together. A game that can be formally analyzed as a piece of art. I am looking forward to more of this! Expand
  87. HlynurH
    Nov 22, 2009
    This is a really fun game i enjoy playing more than once. You should think, that after completing an SP game, you would just uninstall it and forget about it, thats not how it works with Portal, i think i have completed the game... 5 times maybe, and im still humming the "Still alive" Tune xD I probably wouldnt buy this game as a standalone, but when it comes with the orange box, its worth it ^^
  88. EverL
    Nov 7, 2009
    This game is amazing, but there's room for Portal 2! Making way more levels and possibly a mapmaker would improve the game. Also, does it really have to be single player? I'm sure the geniuses at Valve could add a fun multiplayer mode to Portal 2! With all these one could never get tired of the game.
  89. Windson7TheOne
    Dec 25, 2009
    Ive heard that Aperture Science was a competetor to Black Mesa in making a portal technology. When I first bought the game I thought it was gonna have something in common with the Half-Life storyline. But no its just an ordinary puzzle game. -_- 8 cuz I like VALVe. otherwise 5
  90. QuinnW.
    Jan 28, 2009
    Portal is an excellent game. It surely is a new type, a new era of both FPS games and puzzle games. Portal combines reliance of the player's logical thinking with a deep combustion of beauty, creativity, and a mysteriously uncomplete storyline, yet this is what makes one love the game, not to mention its impaction of dark, comical humour. This game merges several minor subjects, like Portal is an excellent game. It surely is a new type, a new era of both FPS games and puzzle games. Portal combines reliance of the player's logical thinking with a deep combustion of beauty, creativity, and a mysteriously uncomplete storyline, yet this is what makes one love the game, not to mention its impaction of dark, comical humour. This game merges several minor subjects, like the monotonous tone of a computer voice and the use of teleportation and physics, and converts them to a major abstraction of intelligents liking, which eventually becomes OUR liking, as gamers. Although a deep tribute of intelligence is required to get through the game quickly, there is an ominous glow to this game that makes the player feel like they're "flying", and comically, this feeling becomes literal throughout several points in the game. This game is great for a player's "cooldown sequence", and its great for becoming a trigger in making a player want to move around, strangely. I don't want to be offensive, but would say that usually those ratings that are less than 7 are said because the critic doesnt have enough intelligence to have fun with the game. What I'm basically saying is that you have to really, really think if you want to have fun with the game and if one doesn't like to think then one doesn't lke to do, and if one doesn't like to do anything then they are too lazy to play videogames because all the good videogames have a challenge and one must DO somehting in order to get through the game right. Yes, the game is a little hard for some of you, but that doesn't make the game bad. Other than that, the graphics are outstanding if your computer is outstanding, and of course, the two favorable things about the game. The companion cube, which definitely highlights the humour in the game, and the ending song, Still Alive which is in the credits, which players usually love and gives you a good pat on the back when you beat the game in three hours. Yes, three hours sounds very short, but think, if Valve made the game any longer, we'd get tired of chamber after chamber after chanber unless more was added to the story. But i think that the ending of the game made an overall good ending and doesnt need more to it unless its a sequel, which i hope will be coming to us at a reasonable time. Anyways this game overall is clever, fun, humourous, time consuming and just plain f**cking amazing. Expand
  91. MarcusL
    Oct 29, 2009
    Despite this game being extremely short, it's innovative, challenging and, even, slightly emotional. This isn't just one of the best PC games, it's also one of the most memorable.
  92. Xacarith
    Feb 14, 2009
    I skimmed through the comments made here, reading mostly the lower rated ones. I will agree that it is a bit short, but has some replayability for those who want to take on the challenge maps. For those who say the game lacks story then they are either unobservant and/or unimaginative. No, it doesn't throw the story in your face, but from the very first things said in the game there I skimmed through the comments made here, reading mostly the lower rated ones. I will agree that it is a bit short, but has some replayability for those who want to take on the challenge maps. For those who say the game lacks story then they are either unobservant and/or unimaginative. No, it doesn't throw the story in your face, but from the very first things said in the game there are hints as much more going on than just this one test. Like all the tests before and what happen to those subjects. Where are all the people at? Glados killed them? But they had safety measures in place for that, so where are they? And where did you come from? Much left hinted at and unexplained. The plot is there, and deep, if you look. This game is very good, and there is much left to be done with it. I hope they do not rush the writing and development of the squeal, but also don't drag their feet in starting it. Expand
  93. CaseyO.
    May 24, 2009
    Portal is a fairly fun game with it's moments of action and suspense. It's puzzles also keep you going and wondering what happens on.. um.. Test Chamber 19, where you actually meet an unlikely person.
  94. JimS
    Jun 22, 2009
    This was my absolute favorite game for about two weeks. Then I had all the achievements, and there's just so many times you can solve the same puzzles again and again before you go nuts. It needed another couple dozen levels.
  95. JamesD
    Sep 28, 2009
    Alittle overhyped imo but still a brilliant concept with a fantastic sense of humour. It's been a while since playing a game was genuinely entertaining. only issue I have is that the autosave can sometimes leave you with little time to react and I can see it respawning you in impossible places if it messes up. Didn't happen to me, though.
  96. JosephD.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Amazing Replayability, and challenges make the game still fun after you beat it.
  97. BillL.
    Nov 12, 2007
    What a unique game. The last half totally caught me off guard, and it's a little overlong (-1 for that). The levels are fun and it's somewhat easy, so there's something for EVERYONE.
  98. HaroutH.
    Nov 13, 2007
    I think this is the freshest Idea in a long time. It take FPS gaming to the next level and it adds a fun companion who tries to kill you numerous time. BRAVO Valve for another great gaming experience!
  99. Barry
    Nov 13, 2007
    Great game that while short leaves you breathless for more and rewards creativity. Also don't forget the developer commentary. Well worth a look.
  100. SamB.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Fun simple, being able go from one place to another with a few steps is amazing. only problem is it is too short.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.