Portal PC

9.3

1. AndresS.
    Oct 18, 2007
    This is, without a doubt, a truly masterpiece. It's bizarre humor and simple concept proved to be a succesful combination. This is a must play.
  2. AndréM.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Very fun. Much innovative. Perfect graphics. Extremely good gameplay. No hard bugs. Interesting, smart and intelligent. A unique game.
  3. TH
    Oct 19, 2007
    One of a kind. This is a game for everyone, whether your into FPS, Puzzlers, RPGs - it doesn't matter; you'd be crazy to miss this title. It's got a simple, but intersting story; something that will reveal itself in the most perfect way. In the end, I'd file this under "Comedy".
  4. RobF.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. The music, the character, the intricate puzzles, the dark humour, it's all fantastic. Portal does in two hours what most games can't do in twenty.
  5. BlakeB
    Brilliant.
  6. LukeM.
    Oct 21, 2007
    I found this game to be fun to play and very replayable. The script is very funny and I can't wait to see what it brings to the half-life universe. I have so far played this game 8 times and will continue to play it again and again.
  7. ChristopherS.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Humour and puzzles are spot-on for an entertaining and fun game. Now all we need are some new puzzles created by the community and an add-on pack; who needs Half-Life 2? We've got all the physics puzzles we need in one game!
  8. AnonymousMC
    Oct 21, 2007
    I honestly think anyone who plays this game (gamer or non-gamer) will enjoy it. The concept of the portal gun is absolute genious. A bit too short though. Took me 2.5 hours. I guess this really was just a quick test of the portal physics, but it turned out extremely well. i'd give it an 8.5 for the great puzzles, nice enviornments, hilarious GLaDOS voice work, and the sickestI honestly think anyone who plays this game (gamer or non-gamer) will enjoy it. The concept of the portal gun is absolute genious. A bit too short though. Took me 2.5 hours. I guess this really was just a quick test of the portal physics, but it turned out extremely well. i'd give it an 8.5 for the great puzzles, nice enviornments, hilarious GLaDOS voice work, and the sickest end-credits song EVER. Play it as soon as you can. Short but very sweet. Expand
  9. KevinD.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Easily one of the most original FPS games ever that will have you hooked the second you step through your first portal. The game play makes you feel smart and clever at every puzzle completion... not too many games can give you the feeling that you're a genius. Especially when you're not. ;-)
  10. RickT.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Three letters: F-U-N!! Yes, it's "short", but it's like a rich dessert (cake?)... just the right portion size to make you crave another helping! I love HL, Unreal Tourney, Q3, and Elite Force. But Portal is the only game in that bunch that had me _smiling_ :) afterwards. Absolutely fantastic!
  11. BobB.
    Dec 19, 2007
    Well put together, It is nice that the focus on solving puzzles is an integral part of Half Life. I wish Portal had more levels. It was a blast!
  12. Benjamin
    Oct 22, 2007
    An instant classic. I havn't seen a game this original since Descent, and that was 12 years ago! GLaDUS is hilarious and clever, the gameplay is unique and groundbreaking, and the replayability is tremendous! Right down to the credits this game keeps you coming back for more!
  13. JonathanW.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Absolutely the most entertaining game I've ever played. From the innovative, mind-warping gameplay, to the side-splitting deadpan humor of GLaDOS, to the end credits - what a well-polished masterpiece. Yes, it's very short. Play through the advanced and timed rooms for some more fun. An instant classic!
  14. JasonK.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This game is outstanding, period. I don't have much time to play games anymore so the length of this game was perfect for me. Speaking of which, the game never loses its pase and it's extremly fun from the minute you start to the end of the credits (which is amazing as well). This game really captured the immersion factor. Needless to say I was on the edge of my seat when a new This game is outstanding, period. I don't have much time to play games anymore so the length of this game was perfect for me. Speaking of which, the game never loses its pase and it's extremly fun from the minute you start to the end of the credits (which is amazing as well). This game really captured the immersion factor. Needless to say I was on the edge of my seat when a new obstical was introduced or when the dialog kicked in. Expand
  15. MathiasB.
    Dec 22, 2007
    Outstanding gameplay! When making a game it is always difficult to make something whitch has not been made before ... This is somthing whitch is new and less destrucktive.
  16. AdamM.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Definitely the best game I've played in a while. The game play was amazing, but the plot/storyline makes the entire experience unforgettable.
  17. BenS.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Terribly overrated. I couldn't believe some of the reviews about its great "innovation" after playing it to completion in a matter of hours. I kept waiting for the "training levels" to end so I could get to the real game. Little did I know that the "training levels" were the actual game. 19 levels of using your portal "gun" to get to high places, which is really more of a tool than a Terribly overrated. I couldn't believe some of the reviews about its great "innovation" after playing it to completion in a matter of hours. I kept waiting for the "training levels" to end so I could get to the real game. Little did I know that the "training levels" were the actual game. 19 levels of using your portal "gun" to get to high places, which is really more of a tool than a gun. That's it. Don't expect the after-game achievements to make up for it. 2 of them can be completed simply by putting a portal above and below you and falling straight down. It's more a challenge of patience than anything. By that point it feels like work. Don't believe everything that you read. Must be a lot of HL2-engine fanatics who are also reviewers. Or maybe they aren't FPS fans at all, and are pleased to see an FPS engine used for a game where you don't shoot anything. Expand
  18. C.F.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Great game, a little short on first look, but you seem to forget around chamber 14 :P Definitely worth the 10 dollars for its innovative gameplay, good graphics, and interesting plot.
  19. TakeshiJ.
    Dec 28, 2007
    Highly original. Very fun game that involves quick thinking. Nice use of the originally perfect source engine, yet I did find it extremely short and quick to finish. A multiplayer qould be awesome too, but that would be hard to play, but tossing each other into portals that lead to deep pits of fire would be fun! But no, theres no such thing. Oh and by the way, it's quite funny too :D
  20. FlorianV.
    Dec 30, 2007
    Brilliant! This game has everything: A plot - you don't know how it will turn out in the end; Sound, music and graphics add to the game - they do not dominate the game; A new idea - alas, the idea alone would be worth a ten; Skill AND mind are required to play the game; Great humor - without being ridiculous, not even once; This all adds up to an outstanding game. I love it!
  21. TylerB.
    Oct 23, 2007
    The only reason this is a 9/10 is length. Short but so funny and so good, it makes me wanna eat some moist, delicious, oh-so-good cake. The AI in game is quite funny in a serious tone which states that someone at Valve has witty humor to spare for a sequel. In the end, this felt like a physics tech demo with a good comedy routine added in, and is worth buying as part of the Orange Box. The only reason this is a 9/10 is length. Short but so funny and so good, it makes me wanna eat some moist, delicious, oh-so-good cake. The AI in game is quite funny in a serious tone which states that someone at Valve has witty humor to spare for a sequel. In the end, this felt like a physics tech demo with a good comedy routine added in, and is worth buying as part of the Orange Box. Alone it is a bit pricey at $20 for something that lasts a few hours. The only way to get better is a sequel with more maps and more humor!! Expand
  22. TheCaptain
    Oct 24, 2007
    I officially declare this one of my favorite games ever. It's only short coming, length, would be called bad if it were the opposite as well. If it were too long it might have pushed back Orange Box's release date just to add more of the same. It didn't over stay it's welcome and had every concept once to see it, again to fully understand it and then combined with I officially declare this one of my favorite games ever. It's only short coming, length, would be called bad if it were the opposite as well. If it were too long it might have pushed back Orange Box's release date just to add more of the same. It didn't over stay it's welcome and had every concept once to see it, again to fully understand it and then combined with others to make it as complex as it could get. Any more and it would have been boring and you might have given up before the absolutely amazing ending. By the way, the ending was amazing. Expand
  23. TrentC.
    Oct 25, 2007
    Wonderfully crisp & crunch game play. The only qripe is the length and current lack for additional bonus maps.
  24. JamesR.
    Oct 25, 2007
    This is the absolute best First Person game ever created. I do not care that it was short, because playing with portals is THAT much fun.
  25. AlasdairR.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Short, but easily my favourite of the Orange Box games. Incredibly witty script, with great vocals for the AI, fantastic level design and storyline. I can't wait to see how Aperture Science is included in Half-Life 2: Episode 3.
  26. ForrestG.
    Oct 26, 2007
    While a bit on the short side, this game has managed to consume over 40 hours in the last two weeks. The unique style of game play is fantastic. I hope to see many add-on levels in the future; I know I am looking forward to mapping my own puzzles.
  27. FabrizioC.
    Oct 26, 2007
    I've just finished a few levels, but I can assure you this game is amazing! Very good graphics, plot and balance: it really is a "must have" if you like puzzle gaming. Good job, Valve!
  28. SethH.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Game of the Year. It finally brings something fresh to the FPS. I've played through it 4 times now. If I had one complaint it would be that it needs to be longer. Regardless of length it is still a stellar game.
  29. PhilL.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Great Game, fantastic use of the Source Engine maybe just a bit short though!
  30. StewartW.
    Oct 31, 2007
    This has got to be the best game ever. It even supersedes Half-life 2, in my opinion. It's only downfall is it's shortness; although I have strong faith that the community will take the map scene very far - with portal maps already out. I WANT MORE!!!
  31. ChrisD.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Simple consept, amazing game play, mind expanding consepts, fantastic ending song, great humour. Such a good game!
  32. AnthonyY.
    Jan 15, 2008
    For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead! I think this was an amazing game. Perfect length, wonderful challenges, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Valve has in store for us next in this genre.
  33. NickC.
    Jan 24, 2008
    Kickin' game. short, but much longer could have made the game a little repetitive. innovative. i was describing it to my wife as a first person puzzle game.
  34. ChrisL.
    Jan 25, 2008
    If you don't have excellent reaction times and precise jump puzzle skills, Portal is an exercise in frustration. It's excellently constructed, with good in-context hints as to how you should proceed. But in my case, it took me over two hours to get through what I assume was meant to be ten minutes of gameplay.
  35. MariuszM.
    Jan 29, 2008
    The game is great but the idea is even better, finish level 14 in 50, 10, 4 seconds? yes, thats called thinking with portals, Challenge maps are almost as fun as the game itself.
  36. CaseyY.
    Jan 31, 2008
    A short but perfect game. Some of the challenges seem too difficult, but for those with that urge to never give up. It is ultimately satisfying.
  37. KennyP.
    Feb 12, 2008
    I had much entertainment from this game. I've played a couple puzzle games and this is ultimately my favorite. With a new type of gameplay and way of solving I couldn't resist beating it in 1 day. Although it's basically 2-3 hours of playtime, the challenges add to it. The humor also kept me giggling through every room.
  38. WilliamA.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Started and did not stop. game is one of the best I have ever played. Really makes you think.
  39. MiMiselphaneye
    Feb 15, 2008
    Awesome. Deserves less than a 10, more than a 9. So it gets a 10.
  40. CE
    Feb 18, 2008
    This game is for those who like more of a challenge than a simple shoot em up. The game has a type of dark humor that I find delightful and though it may be short I think in a way it was almost the perfect amount of time. Heed this warning though you fan boys of Halo and other games of mindless violence, this isn't for you and might be too complex for you.
  41. Berg
    Mar 18, 2008
    The only game I've rated. It's a genius piece of work.. and the end-credit-music is. I play it over and over just to hear the song again. Games ought to be fun, and this is it!
  42. BlakeB
    Mar 19, 2008
    Brilliant.
  43. AmosH.
    Mar 23, 2008
    This is one of the most intriguing, creative, games I have played in a long time. Defiantly outside of the box. I hope to see more in the future.
  44. RonaldA.
    Apr 14, 2008
    Excellent game, orange box is the best games for the best value ever seen!!
  45. AndreasL.
    Apr 22, 2008
    This game got everything HL2 got, just that the excitement come to you by another path, and this time, harder!
  46. FabienD.
    Apr 24, 2008
    This game is really the most awesome title I had the chance to play this year. Great job, Valve Team!
  47. AndrewL.
    Apr 25, 2008
    Awesome!!!!! One of the freshest gaming experiences in a while.
  48. GaiusJ.
    Apr 26, 2008
    The game is phenomenal. It has good graphics capabilities; if you have the hardware then it can be really pretty. The genius of the game is its creativity. Regardless of the graphics, the game is simply fun, creative, humorous, and engaging in ways that I have not seen in a very long time. The only serious downside of this game is that it cannot be easily integrated into other source The game is phenomenal. It has good graphics capabilities; if you have the hardware then it can be really pretty. The genius of the game is its creativity. Regardless of the graphics, the game is simply fun, creative, humorous, and engaging in ways that I have not seen in a very long time. The only serious downside of this game is that it cannot be easily integrated into other source games. Buy it, you will thank yourself! Expand
  49. SeanM.
    Jun 22, 2008
    This game was great from start to finish and had a sense of humor that I understood. MC Escher approves!!
  50. ChuckS.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Outstanding. This game makes you think and the humor adds to the fun. Highly recommended!
  51. JeremyD.
    Jul 13, 2008
    One of the most intriguing games I have played in a while.
  52. Caleb
    Jul 15, 2008
    Amazing game. The brevity of it makes you want more and you are never bored and around every corner is a new, and often hilarious, surprise. I have beaten this game several times and it never gets old. Portal is definitely the best game I have ever played.
  53. RuturlinP.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Very innovative and addictive game, but way too short! A player will took may be 5 to 7 hours to get past all the 19 "story-mode" levels. But worth the cost! Please give us more!
  54. RomaM
    Nov 15, 2009
    Awesome. And we thought good logic games are only made by indie developers
  55. DominikG
    Nov 19, 2009
    Gameplay that was never there before, a neat combination of egoshooter and logic puzzle. Players need both brain and precision, a combination which many first person shooters lack. Also, the story fits really well into the Half-Life story, but is also conceivable as a stand-alone game. The storyline is in itself consistent, and John Coulton's song at the end make it all fit together. Gameplay that was never there before, a neat combination of egoshooter and logic puzzle. Players need both brain and precision, a combination which many first person shooters lack. Also, the story fits really well into the Half-Life story, but is also conceivable as a stand-alone game. The storyline is in itself consistent, and John Coulton's song at the end make it all fit together. A game that can be formally analyzed as a piece of art. I am looking forward to more of this! Expand
  56. HlynurH
    Nov 22, 2009
    This is a really fun game i enjoy playing more than once. You should think, that after completing an SP game, you would just uninstall it and forget about it, thats not how it works with Portal, i think i have completed the game... 5 times maybe, and im still humming the "Still alive" Tune xD I probably wouldnt buy this game as a standalone, but when it comes with the orange box, its worth it ^^
  57. EverL
    Nov 7, 2009
    This game is amazing, but there's room for Portal 2! Making way more levels and possibly a mapmaker would improve the game. Also, does it really have to be single player? I'm sure the geniuses at Valve could add a fun multiplayer mode to Portal 2! With all these one could never get tired of the game.
  58. Windson7TheOne
    Dec 25, 2009
    Ive heard that Aperture Science was a competetor to Black Mesa in making a portal technology. When I first bought the game I thought it was gonna have something in common with the Half-Life storyline. But no its just an ordinary puzzle game. -_- 8 cuz I like VALVe. otherwise 5
  59. QuinnW.
    Jan 28, 2009
    Portal is an excellent game. It surely is a new type, a new era of both FPS games and puzzle games. Portal combines reliance of the player's logical thinking with a deep combustion of beauty, creativity, and a mysteriously uncomplete storyline, yet this is what makes one love the game, not to mention its impaction of dark, comical humour. This game merges several minor subjects, like Portal is an excellent game. It surely is a new type, a new era of both FPS games and puzzle games. Portal combines reliance of the player's logical thinking with a deep combustion of beauty, creativity, and a mysteriously uncomplete storyline, yet this is what makes one love the game, not to mention its impaction of dark, comical humour. This game merges several minor subjects, like the monotonous tone of a computer voice and the use of teleportation and physics, and converts them to a major abstraction of intelligents liking, which eventually becomes OUR liking, as gamers. Although a deep tribute of intelligence is required to get through the game quickly, there is an ominous glow to this game that makes the player feel like they're "flying", and comically, this feeling becomes literal throughout several points in the game. This game is great for a player's "cooldown sequence", and its great for becoming a trigger in making a player want to move around, strangely. I don't want to be offensive, but would say that usually those ratings that are less than 7 are said because the critic doesnt have enough intelligence to have fun with the game. What I'm basically saying is that you have to really, really think if you want to have fun with the game and if one doesn't like to think then one doesn't lke to do, and if one doesn't like to do anything then they are too lazy to play videogames because all the good videogames have a challenge and one must DO somehting in order to get through the game right. Yes, the game is a little hard for some of you, but that doesn't make the game bad. Other than that, the graphics are outstanding if your computer is outstanding, and of course, the two favorable things about the game. The companion cube, which definitely highlights the humour in the game, and the ending song, Still Alive which is in the credits, which players usually love and gives you a good pat on the back when you beat the game in three hours. Yes, three hours sounds very short, but think, if Valve made the game any longer, we'd get tired of chamber after chamber after chanber unless more was added to the story. But i think that the ending of the game made an overall good ending and doesnt need more to it unless its a sequel, which i hope will be coming to us at a reasonable time. Anyways this game overall is clever, fun, humourous, time consuming and just plain f**cking amazing. Expand
  60. MarcusL
    Oct 29, 2009
    Despite this game being extremely short, it's innovative, challenging and, even, slightly emotional. This isn't just one of the best PC games, it's also one of the most memorable.
  61. Xacarith
    Feb 14, 2009
    I skimmed through the comments made here, reading mostly the lower rated ones. I will agree that it is a bit short, but has some replayability for those who want to take on the challenge maps. For those who say the game lacks story then they are either unobservant and/or unimaginative. No, it doesn't throw the story in your face, but from the very first things said in the game there I skimmed through the comments made here, reading mostly the lower rated ones. I will agree that it is a bit short, but has some replayability for those who want to take on the challenge maps. For those who say the game lacks story then they are either unobservant and/or unimaginative. No, it doesn't throw the story in your face, but from the very first things said in the game there are hints as much more going on than just this one test. Like all the tests before and what happen to those subjects. Where are all the people at? Glados killed them? But they had safety measures in place for that, so where are they? And where did you come from? Much left hinted at and unexplained. The plot is there, and deep, if you look. This game is very good, and there is much left to be done with it. I hope they do not rush the writing and development of the squeal, but also don't drag their feet in starting it. Expand
  62. CaseyO.
    May 24, 2009
    Portal is a fairly fun game with it's moments of action and suspense. It's puzzles also keep you going and wondering what happens on.. um.. Test Chamber 19, where you actually meet an unlikely person.
  63. JimS
    Jun 22, 2009
    This was my absolute favorite game for about two weeks. Then I had all the achievements, and there's just so many times you can solve the same puzzles again and again before you go nuts. It needed another couple dozen levels.
  64. JamesD
    Sep 28, 2009
    Alittle overhyped imo but still a brilliant concept with a fantastic sense of humour. It's been a while since playing a game was genuinely entertaining. only issue I have is that the autosave can sometimes leave you with little time to react and I can see it respawning you in impossible places if it messes up. Didn't happen to me, though.
  65. JosephD.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Amazing Replayability, and challenges make the game still fun after you beat it.
  66. BillL.
    Nov 12, 2007
    What a unique game. The last half totally caught me off guard, and it's a little overlong (-1 for that). The levels are fun and it's somewhat easy, so there's something for EVERYONE.
  67. HaroutH.
    Nov 13, 2007
    I think this is the freshest Idea in a long time. It take FPS gaming to the next level and it adds a fun companion who tries to kill you numerous time. BRAVO Valve for another great gaming experience!
  68. Barry
    Nov 13, 2007
    Great game that while short leaves you breathless for more and rewards creativity. Also don't forget the developer commentary. Well worth a look.
  69. SamB.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Fun simple, being able go from one place to another with a few steps is amazing. only problem is it is too short.
  70. PhilG.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Valve create the best games because they can.. and i'm glad i'm still alive to play them... If i had a hat, it most definitely would be off for Portal.
  71. JohnC.
    Nov 14, 2007
    The most fun i have had in a long time, highly recommend this title.
  72. JoeI.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Innovative, funny, and addictive - I just wish there was more. There were several laugh out loud moments in this game, I can't remember the last time a game made me laugh.
  73. PatrikS.
    Nov 16, 2007
    One of the best, and most interesting games I've played, and the end song just tops it off. If you haven't played it already, get it now! You won't regret it.
  74. MikeR.
    Nov 19, 2007
    After finishing the first dozen maps in under an hour, I was afraid the game would be too easy. But the difficulty increased exponentially. The last map, by itself, took me over 2 hours (about 6 hours in total). My only criticism is that the game should've been longer. Aside from that, Portal is an outstanding game.
  75. JosefM.
    Nov 23, 2007
    I love it! No solving physical puzzles without having to kill anything in a FPS is great fun! The AI computer that communicates throughout the game added the humour and in a way interacted with the player. Great fun game.
  76. Mr.Finnigan
    Nov 24, 2007
    Fantastically put together. Very smart and funny.
  77. TavisS.
    Nov 25, 2007
    The best mod to be made from a first person shooter. My only complaint is that it was to short and easy. I finished it in about 2 hours & 30 minutes, I only died twice :)
  78. DaanV.
    Nov 25, 2007
    although this is a short game, i think its real innovating game, with great gameplay. I sure hope they will make a sequel at it with more lvls.
  79. BL.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Outstanding! A unique approach/concept that is fresh, intellectually challenging, and stimulating on multiple levels. I could not stop playing until I was finished. And the ending was simply excellent
  80. Travis
    Nov 26, 2007
    This game reminded me a lot of the movie Cube where you were trapped inside some laboratory test chamber and trying to figure out why your there and how you can get out. It doesn't disappoint and is short enough to be a movie if you don't get too stuck trying to figure out the puzzles. Can't wait for a sequel as I really like cake.
  81. AdamL.
    Dec 14, 2007
    Danny V., what the hell are you talking about? "Only good for renting, definately not worth the buy." Portal comes in the Orange Box and isn't even AVAILABLE to buy or rent on its own. Get a clue the next time you decide to tap that keyboard again. You're giving a bad name to all the "Danny V's" of the world.
  82. JoesbkS.
    Dec 17, 2007
    Refreshingly different. preeminent voice acting. flawless build-up of the malicious atmosphere. and most importantly, the cake was delicious =).
  83. ColbyA.
    Dec 21, 2007
    This game is absolutely amazing. Great graphics, and COMPLETELY unique gameplay - something you won't see in any other game except maybe Narbacular Drop. In addition to it's creative, unique gameplay, it had a fun storyline with amusing characters. Only complaint, like others', is that the game is too short, but I suspect that it is because it ties in with the Half-Life 2 This game is absolutely amazing. Great graphics, and COMPLETELY unique gameplay - something you won't see in any other game except maybe Narbacular Drop. In addition to it's creative, unique gameplay, it had a fun storyline with amusing characters. Only complaint, like others', is that the game is too short, but I suspect that it is because it ties in with the Half-Life 2 storyline, so it is more of a lead-in in my opinion, a taste of what's to come, instead of a separate full-length game. I recommend this strongly. Expand
  84. EvanS.
    Dec 23, 2007
    Great game! As many of the people know, this game isn't long, but it is innovative and is a lead-in to HL2:ep3 where you get the portal gun. The only reason why this game was released was to test the reaction of the gamers to the portal gun and to help the gamers understand what the portals are. Portal is a VERY unique game and fun to play. Though it is not long and has almost no Great game! As many of the people know, this game isn't long, but it is innovative and is a lead-in to HL2:ep3 where you get the portal gun. The only reason why this game was released was to test the reaction of the gamers to the portal gun and to help the gamers understand what the portals are. Portal is a VERY unique game and fun to play. Though it is not long and has almost no replay value, it is a game that everyone should experience. Also it comes in the Orange Box, so it is almost intended as a side game and not a full one. Expand
  85. TomW
    Dec 24, 2007
    Myst meets Half Life!
    I want to give Portal a 10 but I cant. The game is far to short (about 4 hours). This is offset by some challenge levels following the end of the story line. A non-serious approach makes the game fun and light, and the distinct lack of things jumping at your face is a nice break. Helluva game, not your typical FPS.
  86. AdamK.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Not only does the game have an epicly fun and innovative mode of transit (portals), but the amount of depth they create in the simple charicters and levels is amazing. Not to mention what's going on behind the scenes.
  87. Aug 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is addictive and short. I love to mess with the Portals though and sometimes I just get sucked into playing through it another time. I never get tired of playing through the puzzles and destroying GLaDOS. Expand
  88. Feb 12, 2011
    Portal is a game which requires a lot of brain work and strategy. Portal also contains bags of humour and great graphics from the Source Engine which gamers are sure to love. The only problem I have with Portal, is how short the campaign is, but nevertheless, it is made up by how challenging the levels are.
  89. Sep 3, 2010
    A very fun (and very short) little game, a FPS puzzle game, which is a genre I didn't enough know existed until now. This portal concept is something I would love to see in a straight puzzle game: no villains just tons and tons of puzzle maps to play would be amazing. However, I thought GLaDOS was a wonderful character (which is important, being the only one besides the player) who workedA very fun (and very short) little game, a FPS puzzle game, which is a genre I didn't enough know existed until now. This portal concept is something I would love to see in a straight puzzle game: no villains just tons and tons of puzzle maps to play would be amazing. However, I thought GLaDOS was a wonderful character (which is important, being the only one besides the player) who worked well as an insane killer robot. I barely fnished her off in the end, because I was having so much fun listening to her mocking dialog ("your file says you were adopted and you have no friends, ha ha!"). Highly recommend to anyone that likes puzzles or games that play with physics. Expand
  90. Aug 27, 2010
    Excellent, addictive game.
    It has an inventive concept, a funny, well-observed (well, as much as it can be) script, and some lyrical dissonance at the end that'd make Todd Edward Smith flinch.
    Yes, it IS short, but I forgave this once I heard there's a sequel coming out.
  91. Feb 3, 2011
    A very impressive game, sure it isn't the longest game in the world. But this was something fresh, something new that blew everyone away. Interesting puzzles to solve, and I cant wait for Portal 2, looks awesome.
  92. Apr 24, 2011
    Portal is a fantastic puzzle game, unlike anything else you will ever play. Each level requires you to step back and look around a 'test chamber' before attempting to reach the exit. Along the way you'll have to move 'companion cubes' and get rid of turrets, all whilst being taunted and teased by Glados, arguably the most sinister, sarcastic and funny video game antagonists of all time.Portal is a fantastic puzzle game, unlike anything else you will ever play. Each level requires you to step back and look around a 'test chamber' before attempting to reach the exit. Along the way you'll have to move 'companion cubes' and get rid of turrets, all whilst being taunted and teased by Glados, arguably the most sinister, sarcastic and funny video game antagonists of all time. Some of the puzzles appear to be impossible before they have the simplest of solutions, armed with a 'portal' gun, you can shoot an entry and exit portal onto specific surfaces and you have to navigate your way through each chamber; you can gain speed by falling through them and reach impossible platforms by placing a portal in the right place. As you play you'll come to wonder how anyone could have come up with these puzzles, they are just so intelligent. 4/5, fantastic. Expand
  93. Sep 6, 2010
    CoolCool game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  94. Sep 15, 2010
    When I bought the Orange Box, right after it was released, I really don't expected too much about portal, I bought that because of HL2 and TF2, but portal seemed to be a great game, it could be compared to HL2 when it was released. Something innovator, but it does not deserves 10 just because it's different, it deserves 10 because it is unique, adictive and captivating. There's no one whoWhen I bought the Orange Box, right after it was released, I really don't expected too much about portal, I bought that because of HL2 and TF2, but portal seemed to be a great game, it could be compared to HL2 when it was released. Something innovator, but it does not deserves 10 just because it's different, it deserves 10 because it is unique, adictive and captivating. There's no one who can fake someone (or something) like GLaDOS. Portal is unique. Expand
  95. Sep 22, 2010
    The best game I'v played, ever. The Antagonist (enemy, bad guys, ext.) is GLaDOS, the AI who runs Aperture Science, is the best enemy in any game, unlike in Halo 1 were the Covenant are basically the 'bad guys' who should be killed, GLaDOS's point of view is perfectly understandable: She is programed to be better at science than Black Mesa and without morals or ethics, even if floodingThe best game I'v played, ever. The Antagonist (enemy, bad guys, ext.) is GLaDOS, the AI who runs Aperture Science, is the best enemy in any game, unlike in Halo 1 were the Covenant are basically the 'bad guys' who should be killed, GLaDOS's point of view is perfectly understandable: She is programed to be better at science than Black Mesa and without morals or ethics, even if flooding entire buildings with neurotoxins killing hundreds of scientist is the quickest/best/easiest option. I, for one, will be really looking forward to the sequel: Portal 2 Expand
  96. Sep 24, 2010
    Just great. I loved every single second of it. Played it through at least five times. It has mind-bending puzzles, hilarious dialog and just great graphics. Definitely one of the better Valve and PC titles ever created.
  97. Oct 9, 2010
    No excuse for not owning this game. It will run on most PCs even pretty old ones and the experience is unique, bringing something new and fresh into gaming. Please do yourself a favor and GET this game.
  98. Oct 15, 2010
    Up till now there is no better, funnier storyline in computer-gaming. A breath of fresh air among the hundreds of games all following the same paths, managers left and right to stop anyone being original.
    Portal dares and succeeds on all fronts. GlaDos may be borrowed, but Clarke's/Kubrick's HAL9000 never was THAT funny. Plus she was in love with me....(did she bake that cake?)
  99. Jan 13, 2011
    A very different and innovative game, not like the same FPS's we see every year. The puzzles are extremely fun and well thought out. The game is about from 3,5 - 4,5 hours long (The people who say they finished the game in 2 - 3 hours either didn't finish it or are over exaggerating , because not one puzzle got me stuck although 1 or 2 puzzles took a quite a bit of time to get right evenA very different and innovative game, not like the same FPS's we see every year. The puzzles are extremely fun and well thought out. The game is about from 3,5 - 4,5 hours long (The people who say they finished the game in 2 - 3 hours either didn't finish it or are over exaggerating , because not one puzzle got me stuck although 1 or 2 puzzles took a quite a bit of time to get right even though i knew what to do) the length didnt bother me because the game didnt need to be longer if there were alot more puzzles it would become tedious and becomes a bit boring, if they had to make it longer there would need to be much more variation in gameplay such as the ability to also shoot or more variation in puzzles. The story was kept very simple, there basically was no story but that wasnt a problem because I didnt see Portal as full game but more as a mini-game and as a incentive to the Orange Box. The visuals were as good as they needed to be and were quite good for 2007, the voice acting in my opinion was not very good and became a bit annoying at times. A lot of the "Humorous" parts of the game I just didnt find funny at all except the whole story about the "cake" . Overall all a very fun and well thought out game and I hope the Portal 2 will be even better. 8/10 for a full game and 10/10 for a mini-game. Expand
  100. Feb 3, 2011
    The Good: The writing is goddamn near perfect. The black humor, wonderful dialogue, and fantastic voice acting is perfect. The game mechanics work great, no glitches to speak of. The characterization of GLaDoS is great and make her (it?) my favorite game character. It's challenging, but not hard, the AI's decent, and the game is short, but that's good because it doesn't overstay it'sThe Good: The writing is goddamn near perfect. The black humor, wonderful dialogue, and fantastic voice acting is perfect. The game mechanics work great, no glitches to speak of. The characterization of GLaDoS is great and make her (it?) my favorite game character. It's challenging, but not hard, the AI's decent, and the game is short, but that's good because it doesn't overstay it's welcome. The Bad: Well.....um....there's......you know what? There's nothing bad about Portal. Seriously. The Ugly: No graphics issues to speak of. The games looks great. Expand

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.