Portal PC

9.2

1. Aug 15, 2017
    The idea behind this game is excellent, and it's done very well. Portals to traverse around a creepy empty lab in test rooms, in addition to wonderful writing and voice acting from the narrating character GlaDOS. The gameplay is decent, and the puzzles while using your mind heavily, are decent. The game is unexpectedly short for the huge praise it gets, and I wish more environments wereThe idea behind this game is excellent, and it's done very well. Portals to traverse around a creepy empty lab in test rooms, in addition to wonderful writing and voice acting from the narrating character GlaDOS. The gameplay is decent, and the puzzles while using your mind heavily, are decent. The game is unexpectedly short for the huge praise it gets, and I wish more environments were used and puzzle aspects that didn't get frustrating and time consuming. (Okay, maybe I just suck and I'm dumb). The sequel improves and does everything the first game did but even better, so i recommend that one more, although this one's only a dollar on sale and is a decent short experience. Expand
  2. Aug 11, 2017
    This game is just perfect. I cant recommend it enough. I still listen to the end game track in my car which is absolutely gorgeous and fun and I also use it as a wake up ringtone - it always makes me smile even if im still sleepy im still alive ;)
  3. Aug 7, 2017
    Portal is one of the best games. I played it after I played Portal 2, and the 10-year-old graphics were surprisingly not that bad. The game concept sold me, and I have now played quite a few Portal 1 & 2 mods. I would definitely recommend this game for people who want a simple puzzle game experience.
  4. Aug 2, 2017
    Beautiful, sweet like a cake (you see what i mean if you played it) but too short
    Yeah, it is excepcionally short, and that is its biggest flaw
    Concept and level design are amazing though
  5. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  6. Jun 2, 2017
    It may be only 2 hours, but it's a modern video game classic everyone should try.With a collection of puzzles, humorous dialogue, memorable final boss and great story to back up to Portal 2.
  7. May 24, 2017
    Fantastic game.Difficult, yet solvable puzzles, creatively designed portal gameplay mechanic, funny and likable villain, and solid graphics to boot. This is one of those damn fine experiences that develops your brain and makes you bit smarter after the credits roll. Sure, this game is quite short, but as long as you get it for a decent price you should be happy with the result.
  8. May 8, 2017
    The puzzles are really well-designed. They are neither too hard that you lose the incentive to play, nor too easy that you don't enjoy them that much.

The humour, on the other hand, is where Portal excels. Very well-written dialogues and the tension overall is what makes it maybe the best puzzle game ever.

A true classic.
  9. Mar 12, 2017
    This game preys on our feelings of uncertainty, unease, speculative and cynical curiosity. The driving force of the game is a computer named "Glados" who guides you through a series of test chambers to test your critical thinking using Portals. Is Glados a force of good, a force of evil, or a purely neutral force who relies on mystery and the unknown? The mood that her voice creates isThis game preys on our feelings of uncertainty, unease, speculative and cynical curiosity. The driving force of the game is a computer named "Glados" who guides you through a series of test chambers to test your critical thinking using Portals. Is Glados a force of good, a force of evil, or a purely neutral force who relies on mystery and the unknown? The mood that her voice creates is more atmospheric than some atmospheric games try to achieve with music, visuals and story. Her monologue writing is top-notch. The game length is quite short, but very rewarding and packed with more mystery than a mystery novel or film. Be prepared to USE YOUR BRAIN, and to start "thinking with Portals." Expand
  10. Mar 10, 2017
    Portal is one of those rare games that comes along that manages to be both unique and incredibly successful. Released basically as a stocking stuffer and an apology for he long wait between Half-Life Episodes 1 and 2, Portal managed to become something entirely of its own caliber. It is an incredibly well-done experimental physics-based puzzle game that has become one of gaming'sPortal is one of those rare games that comes along that manages to be both unique and incredibly successful. Released basically as a stocking stuffer and an apology for he long wait between Half-Life Episodes 1 and 2, Portal managed to become something entirely of its own caliber. It is an incredibly well-done experimental physics-based puzzle game that has become one of gaming's centerpiece masterworks.

The game does exactly what it advertises: you go through some well thought-out and intuitive portal-based puzzles through a very short, but memorable campaign. Added with some witty and dark humor, provided by your instructor, GLaDOS, the game is incredibly well done, with a tight focus and nothing wasted. GLaDOS herself has become one of gaming's icons due to her excellent dialogue that makes her so lovable despite the fact that she puts you through life-threatening situations constantly and then outright tries to kill you, with the credits theme becoming so well known that people who don't even play video games can recognize it.

In the game, you use your "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device", or just the Portal Gun, to shoot portals onto surfaces that connect one point to another. The concept is used to its fullest, with just a handful of mechanics going a very long way with multiple iterations on the same concept that never feel stale. Through the use of portals you'll use momentum to launch yourself across chasms, redirect energy balls into receptacles on the other side of the room, drop cubes onto buttons from the far end of the area, drop cubes onto sentry turrets to knock them over, and a bunch of other things that will test your mind and your resourcefulness, the later levels especially requiring some thinking and a lot of times quick reflexes. The concept is so simple, yet is used in so many varying ways that it's just a blast to figure out all the puzzles that always incorporate iterations of things you've already learned. Though there is a somewhat harsh difficulty curve towards the later end of the game, it's certainly not insurmountable if you've got the wits and the perseverance for it (looking at you, Chamber 18).

The game is damn brilliant and there's nothing else like it... well, except for Portal 2, but even then, Portal itself stands as a very compelling and experimental little project that is fun and charming while also testing your mind and patience with some of the more difficult puzzles the game has to offer. Though a small game, and while some may lament this fact, I personally think the length is perfect for what it is. Portal is definitely one of those games that everyone should play at least once, because chances are nothing like it will come out ever again.
  11. Mar 3, 2017
    I could be one of the few people who don't know how in the world this game is supposed to be fun. It's definitely not for me. Portal is nothing but... portals, and solving puzzles with it.
  12. Feb 23, 2017
    After watching Portal's 2 walkthrough on the Youtube I can say with all the sureness. There shouldn't be any sequels. Portal is a very innovative game. It's very well balanced in case of duration and entertainment. I've beated this game on a single breath. Yeah, the Portal 2 is far more complicated and deep, especially in dialogues and plot, but it doesn't give such a pleasent andAfter watching Portal's 2 walkthrough on the Youtube I can say with all the sureness. There shouldn't be any sequels. Portal is a very innovative game. It's very well balanced in case of duration and entertainment. I've beated this game on a single breath. Yeah, the Portal 2 is far more complicated and deep, especially in dialogues and plot, but it doesn't give such a pleasent and innovative experience as the original game.
    My word is 10 of 10
  13. Dec 20, 2016
    There's not much to say about this one that hasn't already been said. And yes, I know I'm nearly a decade behind the times, but I finally got this in 2016 and loved it just as much now as I would have when it released. I generally hate first-person games, but this one hooked me hard and didn't let go, mostly through the writing, humour and ingenious puzzles. A masterpiece.
  14. Dec 7, 2016
    Overhyped frustration-fest that everyone but me considered to be the best part of the Orange Box. Annoying puzzles, annoying voice acting, and annoying memes that took forever to die. A pity meme necromancy is so easy these days.
  15. Nov 29, 2016
    Был удивлён, что игра проходится 2-2,5 часа, а может кто-нибудь пройдёт быстрее. Если учитывать длину игры, то в целом получилось отлично. Кампания проходится быстро и не успевает надоесть. Встречаются смешные шутки, интересный геймплей, графика неплоха, но немного смущает присутствие звуков из HL 2. Разработчики сделали полностью новый проект, так что это чисто придирки. Так же тут естьБыл удивлён, что игра проходится 2-2,5 часа, а может кто-нибудь пройдёт быстрее. Если учитывать длину игры, то в целом получилось отлично. Кампания проходится быстро и не успевает надоесть. Встречаются смешные шутки, интересный геймплей, графика неплоха, но немного смущает присутствие звуков из HL 2. Разработчики сделали полностью новый проект, так что это чисто придирки. Так же тут есть испытания, если кто захочет поиграть после одиночной.
    Вообщем отлично, если бы игра была дольше, думаю оценка опустилась минимум до 8, но кто знает, что имеем, то имеем.
    Рекомендую! Даже очень.
  16. Nov 22, 2016
    A very innovative and interesting puzzler for its time. Portal has a pretty engrosing lore behind it surrounding Aperuture Labs which universe is shared with Half Life that you want to know more about and get the chance in the sequel. Gameplay feels very smooth, platforming precise and puzzles themselves feel fairly difficult. Its a pretty short experience one that you can finish in oneA very innovative and interesting puzzler for its time. Portal has a pretty engrosing lore behind it surrounding Aperuture Labs which universe is shared with Half Life that you want to know more about and get the chance in the sequel. Gameplay feels very smooth, platforming precise and puzzles themselves feel fairly difficult. Its a pretty short experience one that you can finish in one sitting, tho at the end i felt motion sick, Portal is the only video game that has made so, so if youre prone to that play carefully and dont throw camera all around. Expand
  17. Sep 27, 2016
    This is one of the more innovative games I've played. The humour and wit make it so entertaining and the puzzles/quests are really interesting. I loved it and can't wait to play the second one. And who can complain about the end song? It's genius!
  18. Aug 19, 2016
    Um jogo diferente e inovador, muito bem feito, voce tem que sair de um jogo sadico de um computador, cheio de puzzles e alguns inimigos, mas o mais legal do jogo é como voce usa a sua arma
  19. Aug 9, 2016
    I just bought and finished this game yesterday, it seems about 8 years too late. Anyway, the game obviously looks dated for 2016, nothing unexpected about that. In-fact I'm going to ignore the graphics and audio since it's such an old game.

I love the concept, the puzzles were fun, but the game was super short. Hell I thought I was playing the tutorial, well I suppose at first I was. The game felt like a long demo and that's my issue with it. Fun, but entirely too short.

Fun game, and I look forward to playing Portal 2, but this feels like a demo, not a fully fledged game.
  20. Jul 5, 2016
    Portal, it's a short and sweet puzzle game.

Portal, it's a short and sweet puzzle game.

The game can be finished in under 5 hours (some areas can take longer than expected) or maybe a bit longer than 5 hours if you want to get all the achievements, and it has a neat storyline to the game mostly putting a cliffhanger for Portal 2. At the end of the game, you are greeted with a musical, I won't spoil anything but it was funny and neat to have.

If you need a cheap game to play but something addictive that will make you love the Portal series, Portal is a must have game to buy.

The cake is a lie!
  21. Jul 1, 2016
    + Original concept
    + Intelligent puzzles design
    + Great sense of humor
    + interesting story, even though only one character speaks to you, the writing on the walls drops hints to more of the story

- Too short, can be completed in only a few hours, i want more!
  22. Jun 23, 2016
    I hadn't played a video game IN YEARS before I picked up Portal, so I was pretty blown. And despite not having played in so long, it was easy to familiarise with the gameplay as it nods to classic puzzle games. The story is simplistic perfection, and it's an all-women cast. The game itself is brilliant, all the little twists and surprises are well-worth it. I recommend this to beginners,I hadn't played a video game IN YEARS before I picked up Portal, so I was pretty blown. And despite not having played in so long, it was easy to familiarise with the gameplay as it nods to classic puzzle games. The story is simplistic perfection, and it's an all-women cast. The game itself is brilliant, all the little twists and surprises are well-worth it. I recommend this to beginners, hardcore gamers -heck! I'd recommend it to my parents. Expand
  23. Jun 9, 2016
    Portal is a brilliant game, a game that is pretty much 80% tutorial, but every hour of entertainment that this game gave me is really worth every single cent of its purchase.

STORY: Portal really doesn't have a story to tell, you pretty much have to figure it out yourself because if i tell the "story" of the game, it would sound like this: "You are this girl and your traps with this robotic entity called Glados in some laboratory and you have to resolve the test that this robotic entity gives you" and that would be it.

PRESENTATION: Portal has a very clean look, 70% of the environments have white in them and since the game is shooter from 2008, you are obviously not gonna see some incredible models or animations, but you only see that through the portals so they are pretty much non existent. Now this may sound like the presentation is horrible, but it really isn't, the game is more about the style than anything else and it reminds me a lot of Mirror's Edge with white all over the place, simple yet appealing environments and like i said the game looks very clean, which is easy on the eye and the framerate is smooth and even the most powerless PC's can run it. Now the music is pretty much non existent, aside from the theme there aren't any other tracks, but in a game like this it kinda fits, now i would definitely like hearing some tracks, but i feel like it's ok in this case.

GAMEPLAY: Portal is a first person shooter, you move with W, A, S, D, you move the camera with the mouse, you pick up things with the E and you shoot portals with the right and left...uummm...how do you call the right and left click things in the mouse?...uuumm...uuuh, well anyway you get it. Now this mechanic may sound very basic...and it is, however by using this simple mechanic the developers made some incredible puzzles around this system and their efforts really show, this are some of the most creative puzzles i have ever seen using the law of "momentum" and the possibilities that they have with the portals. I can't really describe it, but believe me, the portal mechanics are use very, VERY well, putting your mind to think and you feel like a badass when you finally figure that puzzle ,that was very hard, out.

But it's not just the portals, believe it or not the pick up mechanic is also used brilliantly, you use it block proyectiles, bounce proyectiles, destroy turrets, switch on mechanisms, etc and you use both the portals and the blocks that you pick up to resolve the puzzles.

And that's it...no really, that's portal, it's a very basic game, with very basic mechanics and because of that it's very accessible, fun, replayable and deep. The puzzles are great, the setting is great, the mechanics are great and overall the game is just a blast to play, it may not be a very long game, but (unlike the order) the game is 100% gameplay and the 3-4 hours that you will play will be unforgettable. I'll give Portal a 8/10.

PS. Glados is AWESOME!
  24. Jun 8, 2016
    Juego que me impresionó totalmente, pocos juegos me impresionan hoy día.
    La primera vez que escuché de él fue porque steam lo regalaba tras la salida de su segunda parte, el caso que me lo bajé para echarle un vistazo y vay, me tiré tooodo el dia y la noche delante del PC hasta que me lo acabé jajaja eso si que fue un vicio.
    Los puzzles que te plantea resolver me encantaron y hoy días
    Juego que me impresionó totalmente, pocos juegos me impresionan hoy día.
    Los puzzles que te plantea resolver me encantaron y hoy días los sigo disfrutando. Es el ejemplo de como un juego no tiene por que ser violento para entretener y como en un par de minutos se puede enganchar a un jugador.
  25. Jun 5, 2016
    Short but one of the game of its own type... Could have some story-line for better involvement. Though the concept is unique and yes, it;s still 9/10 in my point of view. Must play game.
  26. May 28, 2016
    So much fun. Intriguing storyline with top-notch voice acting and humor. Excellent graphics and use of the source engine from Half-Life 2, as well as some groundbreaking FPS puzzle gameplay. You can pick this up on Steam for steal during their summer sale. I've played through this game twice and now I want to play through it again.
  27. Apr 21, 2016
    a great game of valve. the FPS with the best game sistem. the only thing bad is it very shor with just 5 hours of game but you wil deserve it. EXCELENT GAME!
  28. Mar 23, 2016
    Fantastic puzzle game with (at the time) innovative game mechanics. The story is also intricate and ambiguous.

It's a very short game, but it's the absolute perfect length for this game, this is what IMO Portal 2 got wrong, it was far too long for the type of game it is, although considering the initial price of Portal 2 it's understandable why it's longer than an experimental game to The Orange Box collection (Portal 1).

The pacing is superb and ends up leaving you very satisfied.
  29. Mar 14, 2016
    Full of character, but unfortunately the lack of atmosphere left me feeling disappointed after all hearing all the praise piled onto this game over the years. Truly innovative gameplay did allow me to have a great time with this game none-the-less.
  30. Feb 20, 2016
    Great game, but it contains way to easy levels. I finished Portal 1 in 2 hours and Portal 2 in 10 hours. Portal isn't as fun or as creative Portal 2 is either which is why I'll give this a lower rating.
  31. Jan 23, 2016
    Portal!!
    After the game's got so much critical acclaim, seems like there's not much to add, only to ask myself how didn't I play it sooner.
    I would start then with a very short list of the things that DID bother me, First, well, the length of course. Nothing new here. I do believe it simply wasn't meant to be too long in the first place but more like a side content to The Orange Box
    Portal!!

I would start then with a very short list of the things that DID bother me,
    First, well, the length of course. Nothing new here. I do believe it simply wasn't meant to be too long in the first place but more like a side content to The Orange Box back in the day, but still.
    Also, soundtrack was a little disappointing in my opinion.
    And, before completing the main game, I've seen that there are "challenges" and "advanced maps", and imagined that they would add more content to the game, but figured out later that these are merely a revisions of the original maps from the campaign.

So, just let me confess here, that Portal didn't completely live up to my expectations. (~Hiding myself from possibly thrown objects~)
    As this game is so positively accepted I did expect something more.
    Being so short and the lack of additional content in the base game didn't help much.
    It was fun but ended too soon, and the story just felt... meeeh.
    And the challenges started to feel too crazy for me as soon as they started depending on trial and error or some luck, facts which I don't like!

I did grow a lot fonder of Portal as I played through the developers commentary.
    Hearing their thoughts and the game-making process made me appreciate everything much more, somehow.
    I even liked better that "Still Alive" song which at first seemed bizarre and weird to me.

Anyway, I'm not going to fully review this game and describe all of it's good aspects, because you probably know them already, and if not (!?) then you should experience it yourself, even by trying the demo.
    Just wanted to share my little story of falling in love with the game.

Portal is without a doubt a very extraordinary puzzle game, brilliantly original, and I doubt we'll ever see any other game of the kind. Many other games tried to follow Portal's lead and so far I didn't encounter much success among these attempts.

It goes constantly on sale, and it's actually worth the full price of 10$ as well.
    If you didn't already, it's time to play!
  32. Jan 19, 2016
    Who needs a girlfriend/life/food/drink/soul/toilet/shower/sleep/bed/money/electricity when you have this perfect game? Certainly not me! The game is beautiful, runs smooth and is extremely creative. Shame games have mostly declined from here on in.
  33. Jan 14, 2016
    i give it a nine out of 10 even though portal 2 is the real success portal is much better in a game play perspective i loved the puzzles but what annoys me is how short the game is i payed 15 dollars and i finished the game in 7 hours but still i cant say too much about the narrative but i guess it good because there is cake of course but still if you like gameplay this is for you and ii give it a nine out of 10 even though portal 2 is the real success portal is much better in a game play perspective i loved the puzzles but what annoys me is how short the game is i payed 15 dollars and i finished the game in 7 hours but still i cant say too much about the narrative but i guess it good because there is cake of course but still if you like gameplay this is for you and i never faced any technical issues and the ending song is awesome . Expand
  34. Jan 3, 2016
    This and portal 2 are in my top 20 favorite games ever. I like platform and puzzles. This is both. .
  35. Dec 27, 2015
    This game is overrated, it's really boring. Played until the end...just a waste of time. Stay away, don't waste your money, there are better puzzle game out there.
  36. Dec 17, 2015
    Portal is one of the best games ever made with how simple the concept is and yet it has such great scope. The story, the characters, the humor and of course the puzzles make this a great game.
  37. Nov 28, 2015
    One of the best games ever made! The atmosphere is so mysterious and "it felt like someone was watching you all the time" in the whole game. The dark humor is perfect!
  38. Nov 19, 2015
    Portal gets really hard, really fast. The first 10 to 20 levels are way too easy, and onward its way too challenging. The challenge kicks in way too fast. But as a port of the Orange Box, it is worth buying, but separetly, well... do you like really like challenges?
  39. Nov 17, 2015
    Hell of a fun game! A perfect example for the case when a very simple idea can work just very fine if the context is well done. The game doesn't need a specific story, not even a very varied game play, still the great humour and the well crafted puzzles make it adorable.
  40. Nov 16, 2015
    they managed to pack some sort of narrative in a 3D puzzle game with original puzzles mechanics. nearly perfect game that you wish to replay, it can't get old.
  41. Nov 12, 2015
    love this game puzzles were fun and the gameplay was unlike anything at the time and considering it was basically a free game bundled with other games to try and keep us from lynching valve over the half life thing its amazing, the dark humor was good, really if anything the only bad thing that could be said about it was its far to short but at least it wasn't padded with tons of boringlove this game puzzles were fun and the gameplay was unlike anything at the time and considering it was basically a free game bundled with other games to try and keep us from lynching valve over the half life thing its amazing, the dark humor was good, really if anything the only bad thing that could be said about it was its far to short but at least it wasn't padded with tons of boring useless crap so I don't even care about that. Expand
  42. Nov 4, 2015
    Portal is a very unique, interesting and fun game that challenges you in many different ways and is one of the best puzzle game series of all time. The only real problem with this game is its short length, but to be fair it is pretty cheap to buy, so its not that big a deal, so I would still recommend this game to anyone looking for a new, unique and fun time.
  43. Oct 27, 2015
    Portal is a contemporary version of Chaplin’s Modern Times. The main character is a woman stuck in the machine, but the contemporary machine is no longer constraining the individual through repetitive body movements in order to produce material goods. The contemporary machine plays with our emotions in order to create science. What kind of science? It is probably neuroscience. GLaDOS isPortal is a contemporary version of Chaplin’s Modern Times. The main character is a woman stuck in the machine, but the contemporary machine is no longer constraining the individual through repetitive body movements in order to produce material goods. The contemporary machine plays with our emotions in order to create science. What kind of science? It is probably neuroscience. GLaDOS is not really testing a gun that makes portals. It is testing Chell’s emotional reactions. GLaDOS is fascinated by the human mind the same fashion a taxidermist is fascinated with animals. Portal 2 even explains this obsession. A lot more could be said, but not without spoilers, so play this game if you haven’t already. Expand
  44. Oct 23, 2015
    Una obra maestra, no es un 10 por la segunda parte. Hay que jugar los dos Portal si es que te gustan los videojuegos lo más mínimo. Indispensable. Queremos el 3.
  45. Oct 5, 2015
    The only thing that is not perfect about this game is that it is not Portal 2, that being said it is still almost just as good, just a little lighter on the story.
  46. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Obviously unique and compelling puzzle gameplay for its time
    + Marries gameplay and narrative expertly from start to finish
    ? Suffers somewhat from the weight of its own greatness when played years later, particularly due to a narrative and theme that insists upon itself so heavily
  47. Sep 13, 2015
    A nice, innovative game made by Valve in 2007, and bundled in the orange box as part of a 3 game deal. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece, and TF2 was a Half Life 1 mod turned into a brand new multiplayer shooter, but Portal? No one knew what it was. The game had a unique feature of linking 2 portals to make a gateway. It's a surreal game, and it felt more like a tech demo, or teaser to theA nice, innovative game made by Valve in 2007, and bundled in the orange box as part of a 3 game deal. Half Life 2 is a masterpiece, and TF2 was a Half Life 1 mod turned into a brand new multiplayer shooter, but Portal? No one knew what it was. The game had a unique feature of linking 2 portals to make a gateway. It's a surreal game, and it felt more like a tech demo, or teaser to the second Portal to me. The game is very short. Unless if you get stuck on a puzzle or two, you could beat this game in under an hour. The puzzles are clever, but they don't get very hard. Not to mention that there are very few puzzles before you go off the path of the tests and deeper into Aperture Science. The boss fight is fun, although it isn't very hard. It's there to just reveal the main villain of the game, who speaks to you until you run into her and fight her at the end of the game. So, to repeat, not a very long game. We're talking 30 minutes if you choose to play it a second time. When you beat the game, you are treated to a passive aggressive song from the main villain of the game. In 2011, Valve released Portal 2, which is much longer, has an actual story about who you are and what you are doing, and the gameplay is expanded much much more. Not to mention how much harder it is compared to the first game. So, Portal 1, is it worth it? To be honest, 10 dollars was reasonable at the time of release, but really, I would only buy this if it were 5 dollars or less. Sure, it's fun and all, but it really just feels like an introduction to the second game, like the animated shorts that come on before pixar movies at the cinema, later to become a full fledged movie. So, Portal 2 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion, and Portal 1 is like an appetizer, a prologue or even a free sample that isn't really free. I will say though, that the game has become free for a weekend every now and then, and it even has deals where you can press purchase and have it for free to keep forever as long as you get it before the timer runs out. Really, this game is like a spoonful of the dessert we had to wait 4 years to finish. But, it's a great spoonful, and you haven't had the whole cake until you have that first spoonful before the rest of it. Or, the cake is a lie. Whichever you choose. Expand
  48. Aug 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolute classic.

It's not everyday that a game comes so close to being full of unbelievable humor, objects that become memorable part of popular culture (Companion Cube, Portal gun, The Cake is a Lie!!) and, above, have a perfect run-time that stops the game from over-doing.

The initial stages when GLaDOS guides you are just the beginning, working more like a tutorial. All this time, GLaDOS' hilarious narration drives the plot, never ever boring us (The puzzles are brilliant too). At the same time, you start wondering what the hell is going on, why am I here, where are all the people?

The part where GLaDOS tries to incinerates you not only changes the game entirely but it keeps getting better and better! I loved how in the second half GLaDOS first tries to convice Chell that she was only joking (More hilarious dialog follows which highlight how hard GLaDOS is trying to hide her true intentions but being an AI, she can't possibly do it perfectly!). Slowly she gets meaner and really rude, all the more when we strive to get the hell out of the facility!

I don't think I've ever played a game that felt so alive. Even when the dialog is one sided (Chell is silent but GLaDOS talks) you will completely immersed as it just feels so real. GLaDOS has the best voice work I've seen in video games, just hats off to her!!

Truly one of the most innovative video games ever and the final 5-6 minutes are the sweetest cherry on the cake!

WHEN YOU ARE DEAD I'LL BE STILL ALIVE!
  49. Jul 14, 2015
    This game is amazing, great graphics, great music, great humor, great gameplay, great everything, while it can get difficult at times, and it is short, this game is still a masterpiece.
  50. Jul 3, 2015
    I do have a couple problems that make me mad. First off the puzzles never stumped me, the jokes weren't very funny, the ending boss wasn't that cool, and overall the game is ok.
  51. Jun 27, 2015
    - Good: Story, Writing, Gameplay, Concept, Puzzles, Humour
    - Mixed: ---
    - Bad: ---

Fantastic game with fresh gameplay and hard enough puzzles. Very entertaining.
  52. Jun 19, 2015
    The game is great, has a spectacular gameplay with easy puzzles, an interesting story, but the game is not very long, unfortunately, but there are a number of maps you can download and play.
  53. Jun 11, 2015
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the
    Portal
    Charming and Challenging
    Portal is easily one of the most charming games ive played period
    As you make your way through the game solving increasingly difficult puzzles, your progress is being monitored by an unknown character that will effortlessly make you laugh, Playing portal just to hear the commentary is worth the journey through the game alone, but the good news is, the game is just as good.
    Portal starts you off slow with one portal gun , you use this portal to hop gaps and move objects, youll eventually get to a point where youre given 2 portal guns which at first feels a bit easier as you feel more free, the only problem is by time this happens, you are already halfway through the game.
    You use one portal to makes an exit, and the other for that exits entrance
    The 2nd half of portal is where puzzles can get a bit tricky and no longer feel all too intuitive,
    It may just be me not used to having to use my brain all too often to play games, but I found the difficulty spike to be just a tad bit too intense.
    The complexity of the levels go too slow in the beginning and too fast at the end making the game feel kind of frustrating, I didn’t really feel clever when I got through levels, it was more guess work, I felt kind of lucky.
    While you may lose some hair over figuring out the perfect way to drop boxes from the ceiling, avoiding lasers, and getting over obstacles, youll feel great going through the gate onto the next floor.
    The feeling of guess work isn’t satisfying, but somehow portal still manages to pull you forward always wanting more., but while I say that I felt like portal gave me just enough.
    Portal will only last you about 3-5 hours, and as a puzzle game of its kind I found this length to be pretty perfect.
    The game kept pulling me forward with its charm, but I wont lie and say I wasn’t fully satisfied when this brain exercise was over.
    For what it is
    Puzzle Platformer 8.5/10
    Overall 8/10
  54. Jun 10, 2015
    Very smart approach to design: take simple idea and make such a grandiose application of it. In Portal you have one device which makes two holes - point of entry and point of exit - and you solve spacial puzzles with it. The Guidence AI's voice adds hilarity, and there is actually a plot behind the game. It's pretty short, but there are many user-made maps available for download. VeryVery smart approach to design: take simple idea and make such a grandiose application of it. In Portal you have one device which makes two holes - point of entry and point of exit - and you solve spacial puzzles with it. The Guidence AI's voice adds hilarity, and there is actually a plot behind the game. It's pretty short, but there are many user-made maps available for download. Very pleasant and innovative must-have game. Expand
  55. May 16, 2015
    Portal is a puzzle game form the first person perspective in which you create portals which solves you problems. Most puzzles are doable; some were difficult. This was a nice deviation from my normal fps work, but having finished also Portal 2, I wouldn't pick up another puzzle game soon.
  56. May 11, 2015
    Different take on a normal puzzle game where the single thing you need is your gun. Blue. Orange. Blue and Orange. Creative game with a comical narrator with you along the ride. Puzzles offer a challenge that didn't feel overwhelming, but if you wanted difficult you can always play the advanced maps or challenge maps. Story is very minimal as this game is rather short and can be beatDifferent take on a normal puzzle game where the single thing you need is your gun. Blue. Orange. Blue and Orange. Creative game with a comical narrator with you along the ride. Puzzles offer a challenge that didn't feel overwhelming, but if you wanted difficult you can always play the advanced maps or challenge maps. Story is very minimal as this game is rather short and can be beat within a hour or two. Expand
  57. Apr 12, 2015
    Before this game came out, I'd never have thought that a game which sole focus of game-play would be puzzling could be an actual AAA-like quality game. Well, Valve has proved me wrong. While undeniably short, the small amount of time you do invest in this game is priceless. This is a truly unique game, one that inspires the future industry and will give rise to even greater game-playBefore this game came out, I'd never have thought that a game which sole focus of game-play would be puzzling could be an actual AAA-like quality game. Well, Valve has proved me wrong. While undeniably short, the small amount of time you do invest in this game is priceless. This is a truly unique game, one that inspires the future industry and will give rise to even greater game-play mechanisms. Aside from the game-play, the atmosphere provided by the characters and story are amazing. That clinical feeling, where everything is so white and bright like a hospital that it is suspicious of hiding its darkness and reddened of blood walls. Glados, who is hands down, one of the most memorable characters ever, acting like a mother so caring that she is suspicious of hiding her psychopathy. The humor adds to it as well and wraps up the game in a nice package that can more easily be delivered to whatever person that doesn't dislike the concept of fun. The puzzles were quite easy though, but that makes it more enjoyable for a broader audience. You can recommend this game to nearly everybody which makes it even more genius. Expand
  58. Mar 9, 2015
    Everything that you've heard about 'Portal' is true. Well, if you've heard nothing but great things about it, that is. Because this is easily one of the greatest puzzle games to ever be created. Hell, it may even be one of the greatest games created, period. It's like 'Half Life 2' but on crack! You thought crack was bad for you, didn't you? Well it turns out that crack is good whenEverything that you've heard about 'Portal' is true. Well, if you've heard nothing but great things about it, that is. Because this is easily one of the greatest puzzle games to ever be created. Hell, it may even be one of the greatest games created, period. It's like 'Half Life 2' but on crack! You thought crack was bad for you, didn't you? Well it turns out that crack is good when combined with elements of puzzle solving and first person shooters. 'Portal' may be short, but it's pretty damn cheap too. And when you take into consideration the difficulty of the added challenges after you've completed the story, it should take a decent amount of time to complete. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to see a first person 'shooter' without bullets and if you haven't picked this game up, along with the rest of the 'Orange Box', that's something that you should probably be doing right about now. Expand
  59. Feb 25, 2015
    Portal is sheer brilliance. The gameplay is amazing and innovative, it has hilarious humor, and a good plot. Literally the only big issue is how short it is.
  60. Feb 3, 2015
    A decent puzzle game mixed with a first person shooter. Only fun the first time you run through it, after which the game becomes repetitive and boring. They made the puzzle mechanics fun, and the maniacal robot talking to you is funny sometimes.
  61. Jan 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ........................cake

Pros:
    Cake
    Excellent level design
    Humorous and perfect dialogue
    Portal Mechanic is flawless
    CAKE
    Companion Cube
    CAKE!!!!!
    Still Alive
    CAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:
    The cake is a lie :(

A timeless c*ake*lassic*ake*

62. Jan 10, 2015
    It is one of my favorite games. It can be short however, it has got great graphics and sounds for 2007. It needs lot strategy and logic to finish the chambers.
  63. Dec 28, 2014
    Portal is a FPS type game appeared in 2007, developed by Valve and Nuclear Monkey Software. The game was published by Valve's online service (Steam) for the Retail and Electronic Arts.
    The game puts you in the place of Chell, to anyone dressings Science Labs. Chell is caused by an artificial intelligence named GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) to complete each puzzle, get a cake when finalizate.Jocul sit quite well in chapters, just as it is very short.
  64. Dec 3, 2014
    Portal series by far is the best puzzle game franchise out there. The original Portal revolutionized gaming. The controls are easy and simple. The dialogue and story is spot on. Definitely a must play game.
  65. Nov 16, 2014
    Portal is the perfect combination between puzzle, 3D graphics and good physics simulation. Also it has a touch of dark humour given by the trainer computer called GLaDOS that will follow your training FOREVER.
  66. Nov 15, 2014
    The puzzles available in the game are great but still they are easy,but the more you get into the game, it takes a hold on you and that one thing the "ULTIMATE ANSWER " with the famous tag lines all over the wall the "Cake is a lie" and you have to get along with some easy-to-go instructions from the cruel GLaDOS !
    overall the game is fun , the part when GLaDOS actually wants to end the
    overall the game is fun , the part when GLaDOS actually wants to end the protagonist and how things go after that till the very end till that song "Still Alive"( was at the moment very creepy)

great game again by the :Valve Corporation that depicts the world how humans follow artificial intelligence

looking forward to play Portal 2
  67. Nov 6, 2014
    Although short, "Portal" is a gaming experience unlike any other. Mind bending puzzles, clean style, innovative portal mechanics and one of the best antagonist in a video game, this game will strike your heart and make you beg for more. Good news is, the sequel is even better.

For the full review, check out "BathroomGamers" on YouTube :)
  68. Oct 21, 2014
    Portal, a lot like Portal 2, throws you in a series of challenging puzzles while giving you a portal gun which can be used at the player's discretion to shoot portals at walls to help the player solve the puzzles. The story is good and basically feels like a huge setup for Portal 2 more than a full game. As much as I liked the game's puzzles and story, the whole thing feels like a hugePortal, a lot like Portal 2, throws you in a series of challenging puzzles while giving you a portal gun which can be used at the player's discretion to shoot portals at walls to help the player solve the puzzles. The story is good and basically feels like a huge setup for Portal 2 more than a full game. As much as I liked the game's puzzles and story, the whole thing feels like a huge Beta test. Only having about 20 puzzles and had me completing it in about 30-45 minutes but I have to admit, I did love the boss battle as it had me frustrated at times. Overall, Portal is a good game but needed a beefier story and more puzzles. Expand
  69. Oct 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game have got all - great mechanics, g. story, g. soundtrack, g. graphics and g. community. Of course, it's made by Valve. Only bad thing is short story. And the cake is not a lie. Expand
  70. Oct 4, 2014
    Just buy it, full stop.

Great scenarios, great plot, great graphics, perfect bgm.
    Also, after you clear game story-line (which I have to say it's actually really short, like 3 hours) you have access to challenges and bonus maps to test yourself and it's awesome.

I think this is my first 10/10, rarely fully enjoyed myself like with this one.
  71. Oct 3, 2014
    Portal is one of those games you should start and finish in one sitting, so you can experience it all without interruption. It's a short game for sure, but for a puzzle game like this, a shorter length somehow feels appropriate so that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

The puzzles were fairly standard during the earlier levels, and it wasn't until later where more complex thinking was required. But for me, it's not the puzzles that make Portal good, but rather the whole atmosphere and setting of the game. I found myself not really looking forward to the puzzles as I was looking forward to the next piece of voice acting that would showcase Portal's brilliant dark humour. But dig a little deeper and you notice that behind the humorous facade, is a rather disturbing and sad story. Finding the Ratman dens adds a layer of suspense and the ambient soundtrack emphasises the sense of loneliness and isolation. None of this is explicitly told either, rather you're guided to make these conclusions by more subtle hints.

I'm also impressed that the game successfully made me feel sorry for my Companion Cube, despite it being an inanimate object. Love the credits song too.

Overall rating - 8.6/10
  72. Oct 2, 2014
    Portal as a start was just an experiment solely for the physics heavy portal mechanic that a small team in Valve got to work on, this meant that they didn't have a big budget and had to cut corners, which lead to what made the game so good. They had to cut all the unnecessary fat from it leaving us a short game where everything that was in it needed to be there making a short but great experience.
  73. Sep 30, 2014
    One of the two only games I consider to be 'perfect'. This game is absolutely stunning. I cannot muster up the words to describe this masterpiece of game design.
  74. Sep 28, 2014
    Amazing story with a great puzzle system. Portal features test chambers, with a very dark secret. You play as Chell, a test subject, with a grudge against the evil mastermind of the facility, GLaDOS.
  75. k_9
    Sep 24, 2014
    Excellent game. Recommendable for gamers of all ages. Hilarious and full of fun. The only thing that I disliked is that it was too short! I also loved the ending song "Still Alive". 10/10 blindfold ;)
  76. Sep 23, 2014
    Ok,can someone tell me something- Is the cake a lie?
    Anyway, it's still one of the best games,to date. Funny humor,fun gameplay,amazing song at the end of the game...

PORTAL 3 COMFIRMED!!!1
  77. Sep 17, 2014
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it
    Last Played: May 2014

PROS: + GLADOS is actually really funny + Looks good, even after 6 years

CONS: - Really short and really easy - Neither revolutionary nor evolutionary

REVIEW: If we are being honest, Portal is not a puzzle game, despite many claims to the contrary. It is a "puzzle-ish" game for people who like shooters. I liked that it was difficult to die, since it made it easier to focus on finding solutions to the "puzzles", but even with easy deaths the hard part about this game isn't figuring out what to do, it is doing it with somewhat fiddly controls (played using an XBOX 360 controller). Still, if the game disappoints on puzzle satisfaction, it really delivers on dry humor. Your handler, GLADOS is very funny and when she sings the credits song you can't help but grin. The graphics are still shiny (some texture mapping looks bad, but doesn't detract too badly) even after 6 years, which is no small feat as games start to age. As others have said, the level of difficulty will probably see you finishing the base game in less than 3 hours, even if you get stuck-a disadvantage since it significantly boosts your $ cost per hour of entertainment. This also hurts a decision to buy because Portal introduced no really new elements to physics puzzlers nor did it do them especially better, it seems to owe its current popularity to previously high reviews (much like Angry Birds).

Still, one of the best measures of a game is whether you'll remember it after you're done, and I have to say I will remember Portal. Just don't spend more than $5 on it.

POST EDIT: I never expected to get a response to a review, but it seems some people don't agree that Portal may have been somewhat unoriginal in using a FPP on a puzzle game. Here's the thing: "Real Myst" (which implemented the developers original intention to allow a player to walk freely about the puzzle environments) was released in 2000 (i.e. much earlier than "Portal"), so you can't claim freedom of movement as revolutionary in a puzzle game (even if you did, there are zillions of node-based games I still consider to have done FPP puzzle first). Does slapping a "puzzle-gun" in your hands justify a "revolutionary" epithet? I think not.
  78. Sep 5, 2014
    From the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value andFrom the silly humor to the great puzzles, i recommend this game to anyone who has a computer. this is probably one of the best puzzle games to come out so far. The game is good at teaching you all of the mechanics to the game through the first few levels. The game is definitely short but the short amount of time you get with this game is enjoyable. The game has a large replay value and the light amount of story and lore is fairly interesting. Expand
  79. Sep 4, 2014
    10/10 Just play it. you won't regret it. 150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150150
  80. Aug 27, 2014
    An extremely smart, witty game that is satisfying in every possible way. The puzzles are quite challenging, but you rarely get stuck because the solutions are intuitive. Loved the puzzles, loved the sinister A.I.'s deadpan humor, and absolutely adored the end song Still Alive.
  81. Aug 25, 2014
    Portal is a great game, that can frustrate you sometimes, and it is short. Once you trained, the game ends. I must recommend this to anybody. Without the frustration and the length, portal is a Perfect game.
  82. Jul 30, 2014
    A lesson in effectivity in game design. Very short, but memorable, brain engaging, funny, atmospheric and in my opinion much better than Portal 2. 9/10
  83. Jul 18, 2014
    One word perfect,this game was perfection in a nutshell,if you haven't got this game go out and get it straightaway it was fantastic,supercalifragilisticexpialadoshus if you will
  84. Vas
    Jun 29, 2014
    You have many hours of puzzle solving fun, can also play around and ignore the robot telling you what to do for a while. The game gets pretty exciting towards the end as well. After you have played through it once or twice though, you find that there is not much more you can do and it gets super easy, so this particular game isn't replayable that much. I'd almost rate 10, but it was tooYou have many hours of puzzle solving fun, can also play around and ignore the robot telling you what to do for a while. The game gets pretty exciting towards the end as well. After you have played through it once or twice though, you find that there is not much more you can do and it gets super easy, so this particular game isn't replayable that much. I'd almost rate 10, but it was too short for me and replayability is a thing for me. Expand
  85. Jun 25, 2014
    Everything has already been said on that game. It's a genius idea, it's funny as hell, it's relaxing. I got it for free and bought Portal 2 at full price to thank the creators of this game. Short lifespan but really worth it !
  86. Jun 15, 2014
    This game is amazing. It's snappy and smart, And has a great concept! It's a very unique game, And I can (And have) played it over and over. Most definitely worth the $10!
  87. Jun 11, 2014
    This game gives me shivers every time I talk about it. It's so good! The mechanics in this game are amazing, and jumping in and out of portals just never gets old. Even though it's short, it clearly is a phenomenal game that will be remembered for years.
  88. Jun 10, 2014
    Uno de los juegos imprescindibles en cualquier colección. Una mecánica sencilla que lleva a niveles de emergencia y de resolución de problemas nunca vistos antes, además de ser muy divertido para experimentar locuras con las físicas.
  89. Jun 5, 2014
    It's short and sweet. One of my favorite games. It's so much more than a creative puzzle game. The story is fantastic, so don't you dare play without the sound.
  90. May 10, 2014
    If you get motion sickness avoid this game. I can play at most 20 mins of it before I get a headache and want to throw up. I suppose if you don't have motion sickness check it out I hear its good but there's no way I could ever finish it.
  91. May 5, 2014
    Simply one of the most epic game of the past 10 years, only one defect,too short,maybe at your first play it can be hard ,but essentially the lack of longevity of the title is the only flaw, apart from that.
    this time the VALVE made ​​the point
  92. Mar 16, 2014
    Wow, this game is great. Although the game is about 2-5 hours long, the atmosphere, reality to it, makes it feel like you really are Chell. This game is so well done, and I've never felt as satisfied as the time I beat Portal.
  93. Mar 1, 2014
    Portal is for me the best puzzle game I've ever played! The atmosphere is really great and if you play it the first time, it's interesting to find out who the voice really is, what she exactly wants and how she looks like. My only issue is the short gameplay.
  94. Feb 21, 2014
    Had a blast playing Portal. I would have scored it a 9-10 if I felt the urge to replay the game. Extremely fun on the first time through the campaign though.
  95. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 7 out of 10, Graphics: 8 out of 10, Fun: 9 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 6 out of 10, Length: 7 out of 10, Re-play: 3 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  96. Jan 26, 2014
    Challenging and puzzling but at the same time not painstakingly boring. If I had the option to change anything about this game, I don't think I would change anything, right down from the pacing to the level design.
  97. Jan 22, 2014
    Al principio el juego no me gusto mucho, lo veia demasiado simple. Tambien es verdad que me esperaba otra cosa, pero, el juego al final me ha gustado, es divertido, tiene muy buenos puzzles y lo cierto es que me ha sorprendido sobretodo en la parte final, un juego que recomiendo ampliamente y que para mi es de los mejores de puzzles que pude jugar, ahora me toca jugar la segunda entregaAl principio el juego no me gusto mucho, lo veia demasiado simple. Tambien es verdad que me esperaba otra cosa, pero, el juego al final me ha gustado, es divertido, tiene muy buenos puzzles y lo cierto es que me ha sorprendido sobretodo en la parte final, un juego que recomiendo ampliamente y que para mi es de los mejores de puzzles que pude jugar, ahora me toca jugar la segunda entrega que espero que sea igual o mejor si cabe que este Portal. Expand
  98. Jan 19, 2014
    This is the only game I consider perfect. Some people say it's way too long. It is not. It's perfect in length. It is a great puzzle game. Some people say it isn't. It is an amazing game if you love puzzle games. Seriously if you liked this get Portal 2 as well. they're both amazing.
  99. Jan 15, 2014
    Ah, Portal. A game of logic and puzzles. It's all about you, the portal gun and the levels. Nothing more. But, a bad thing of the game is that is VERY short. I think Portal 2 is bigger.
  100. Jan 13, 2014
    Fantastic FPS puzzle game. Gameplay is different enough as the game progresses that it doesn't get boring (new puzzles & ways to deal with them are introduced). GlaDOS is quite funny in places. Maps are well written and the mind-bending physics are pretty creative. It's only real shortcoming is fairly short length. Well worth playing though.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.