7.9

1. Mar 28, 2013
    In a world full of Call of Duty clones, it's rare to find an FPS game that brings something new and unique to the genre. Prey, from 2006, brings this in spades. The game offers a variety of new gameplay concepts and elements that make a unique and varied shooter; the classic Doom style run and gun gameplay mixed with several challenging puzzles and twists to complete a level. If you're looking for a new and innovative shooter (even though it's an old game) I highly recommend Prey; for the $5 it cost me, it was well worth my money. Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    Considering that this game game out a year prior to Bioshock and a couple of years post Half Life 2 it is amazing that this game does not garner more praise. My biggest issue is that they combat is a little clunky, but the story, the creative game play involving the use of alternating gravity, using teleportation portals, etc. along with strong voice acting (the female lead irritate the hell out of me at times and other times it was passable the rest of the voice acting was perfect), great visuals, the creative use of spirit and a really engaging story make this one hell of a good game.

I hope that Prey 2 comes out of development hell, but then again it apparently will not have Tommy as the main protagonist despite the ending of Prey which is disappointing. But then again I could be totally off as there is not much known about Prey 2 other than the pissing match that goes on at time about who is to blame for it being stalled.

If you like story driven games with the need to figure some things out too as you go, I would recommend this title. Its a bit hard to find as it is not available via any download outlets and you can find only a few copies on re-sellers like Amazon. This game is well worth a try and works great on the PC.
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    Great game with excellent storyline, diverse gameplay, nice graphics. The game engine from doom 3 looks very good, even in 2013, the animation is good. I look forward to continuing stories, Tommy kick ass the aliens.
  4. Oct 2, 2010
    Archangel in the future.Despite its aspiration for advanced technology i can say only its a waste of time.A unfortunate combination between Archangel and Doom 3.Hell no.Its not for me.
  5. Jan 24, 2012
    There's absolutely nothing to complain about in this game. The graphics are stunning (at least they were when the game was released), the story is mind-blowing, the gameplay mechanics are incredibly ergonomic and intuitive, and more. This is, in my humble opinion, one of the most underrated games in the history of the PC. Get it, get it now. Prey 2 doesn't look quite as good.
  6. Aug 2, 2011
    I've never seen a game like this before. If George Noory was a Native American Indian and game developer he would create this game. I've never seen Indians and Aliens combined in a game before! It's awesome and I enjoyed it very much. It mixes first person shooting, bashing, smashing, frying and freezing, with mind screwing puzzles, zero gravity at times, 3D Space where there is no up or down, and a strange and twisted story of a Native American who goes up against Aliens. LOL Whoever came up with this game and developed the story and game play had to be smoking some strong stuff in his peace pipe. Along with the mix of shooting and puzzles, there is comedy through out with the voice overs. Lots of swearing and blood, and a strange mix of weapons. It seems to be a nice balance of difficulty and playability for the average gamer and moves along at a good pace to keep you playing to the next level. Well, I'm going to go take something for my dizziness and go to bed and have nightmares now. Expand
  7. Feb 10, 2012
    PREY: This is one of the most underrated game ever made (because little to no one knows it). Most people says that it's an Okay game. I say it was Amazing! The game was made in the id Tech 4 engine which is a Doom 3 engine. You can still feel that this game is a rip-off Doom 3, but it's made on the same game engine so maybe it has some aggreements with id Software. The gameplay is more like Doom 3, but it's more story-based. You and your girlfriend gets abducted by aliens. You made to escape, but you must save your girlfriend. There are some sad moments too so I think the Story was great. But god, the environments and the aliens are as disgusting as Half-Life (in a good way though). It really feels that you are in there. The realism is great and still comparable to HL2. The gameplay is just your typical shooter, but it's more than that. Why? The weapons were made by aliens instead of humans, but the other reason is just like Half Life 2, Prey has puzzles. But compared to HL2, this one blows your mind completely. They are more than just puzzles, they kill gravity. Unlike any other games I've played so far (still counting Portal), the puzzle just blows your mind. There are portals that can teleport you somewhere, but it can also shrinks you into a miniature look. There are floors that kill the law of gravity, and more weird things. They used the engine perfectly on this game. I loved it. Too bad with game like this, id Software didn't put more efforts on their recent games like RAGE. So overall, Prey is an amazing game and it's one of my most favorite game of all time. [9/10] "Amazing" Expand
  8. Jul 14, 2013
    I happened to run across a used copy of this game and it is one of the best games I have played in years. The puzzles are challenging and the outcomes will stand you on your head (pun intended). I recommend this game highly. To me, its an early precursor to games like Mass Effect without the sex.
  9. Jul 1, 2012
    This game really surprised me. I bought it years ago and tossed it in box and forgot about it until recently. It has a Native American storyline and characters which is very rare for all games, let alone a FPS. You get sucked up along with your girlfriend and Cherokee grandfather to an alien ship that is processing the people of Earth for food. You spend most of the game searching for your girlfriend and that leads you to destroying the main boss. It sounds a little hokey but it works and I never rolled my eyes at the story which I can't say for a lot of games. The graphics are a bit dated with the human animations looking slightly blocky but the lighting system and textures were detailed. Since it is an older game (2006) I was not able to play at the full resolution of my monitor and had to settle for 1600x1200. The odd thing is that now matter what aspect ratio I selected all the resolutions were the same. At any rate it played fine and I had no trouble with how it looked. The game is VERY similar to Quake 4 but I liked Prey better because of the story and gameplay. One of the unique things about it was that you can't really die. When you loose all your health your are transported to the death world where you shoot wraiths to gain your health and spirit back. This helps the gameplay flow so much more smoothly than any other game I have played. It breaks the monotony of the save/load cycle which was one thing I did not enjoy about Quake. Also when you die and come back the level loads instantly, no more waiting for the whole thing to load again and making you frustrated about getting past a hard part. There is also a spirit walk mode where you leave your body and enter a spirit world to pass through force fields and access switches or other items you would be unable to normally. The sound and music fit right in with the game. Despite being a Native American game there were just a couple sections where the music matched. The death/spirit world and visiting the ancestral grounds. It's mostly short chanting and it makes sense to make it simple rather than drawn out singing chanting that may take you out of the game. The voice acting was also done well. In particular the main character and last boss. It's not often that I find myself glad to hear the main character shouting obscenities or the sickly sweet voice of the villain. And lets not forget Art Bell as himself on the call in radio station. The game has some shortcomings. It's fairly quick, I blasted through it in around 6 hours and 30 minutes. The death world has a lot to do with that though. If I did not have to constantly save and load in Quake I probably could have shaved hours off my final time. And besides, too many hours in a FPS game ruins it for me. Half Life was great, but damn was it long. The graphics are a bit dated, but again for 2006 time it was good. The difficulty may be a bit on the easy side. I would rather have it too easy than too hard however. After completing the game on normal mode you can play on the harder Cherokee mode. As much as I enjoyed this game I wouldn't go through it again just for a harder difficulty.

I fully recommend this game to all type of game players, you don't have to be into FPS type games to enjoy it. It does have quite a bit of gore and swearing(you can turn off obscenities though), so not for the younger gamers. You can pick it up for ~$10 shipped or check your local game store. For some odd reason this game is not on the Steam network. I think it would be able to enjoy much more success if it was. The sequel is due out the end of December 2012 and I know I will be buying it.
  10. Oct 4, 2013
    Perhaps I should have played Prey when it first came out and it may have seemed a bit more innovative, but playing it in retrospect I can't help but see it as a huge missed opportunity. It's certainly an enjoyable shooter, but I found the shifting gravity and static portals to be a bit of a distraction at best and annoying at worst. There are a few instances where the mechanics work really well, and some clever environments are constructed, but otherwise it feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity. Also, there's a point right at the beginning when you are shrunk to a tiny size and appear on a sphere in a tiny box, and the idea of miniaturisation appealed to me much more than all the gravity shifting and portals, but this never happens again for the entire game!
    The combat and weapons are enjoyable, although I felt that ammo ran out too fast on most weapons, interrupting the pace of combat somewhat. Also, there weren't enough wide open arenas, and most of these came towards the end of the game. This, along with the plodding pace of the plot, means the whole game feels like it takes a really long time to hit its stride. I appreciated that the opening section of the game (after the bar section, which was a superb prologue) was meant to build the atmosphere, but it overplayed it a little too long for me, especially as the only thing you're doing for the entire game is chasing after your girlfriend to rescue her (because, you know, girls need rescuing). Again, the plot becomes more interesting towards the end, but it's too little too late.
    Another annoyance is your character's voice, which chirps in, or rather shouts in, on a regular basis. And the voice acting isn't exactly award winning, either. Another thing was irked me was that the art style was far too similar to DOOM 3 and Quake 4, which just adds to its derivative feel. I know it used the same engine, but that's no reason to ape the art style (and even your main weapon has exactly the same sound effect as your rifle from Quake 4!).
    An enjoyable shooter overall, but a bit of a waste.
  11. Dec 30, 2013
    Prey is a great FPS that has a pretty decent story to it. If you're sick of CoD and want a good FPS, look no farther. Prey does obviously feel old, because it is, but for it's time it has good graphics and the gameplay is solid. Kind of reminds me of QUAKE 4, so if you liked that you'll probably enjoy Prey more or less. What's interesting is the atmosphere is surprisingly good in Prey, despite it being older and appearing to not have put too much effort into purposefully making it very atmospheric. In a couple scenes in the bar/inn it feels like you're actually there. The enemies are well balanced as well as the ammo/guns. Specifically the ammo is very well balanced, you get appropriate ammo depending on the damage of each gun that makes it feel natural, and not getting overloaded with ammo like most games. The enemies get more difficult gradually and have some very creative designs. I'm not sure if you could consider Prey a horror game, but like Dead Space or Doom it has some pretty scary monsters/scenarios. Prey also touches on some mind-bending factors which keep the game very entertaining, and it's just long enough for the story it's trying to tell, which it does very well. Expand
  12. Jan 9, 2014
    This game is awesome! When i played it first time, i was blown away. When i heard that game was released 2006., i couldn't believe because graphic was so good. There is a many amazing things in the ship, like teleports, passages, many aliens... just awesome game.
  13. Jul 3, 2013

1. It's so pregnant with ideas and beautiful movements that you'd be a sad fool to to deprive yourself of the experience. If the sequel is longer, a bit more difficult, and plays slightly more intelligently, then I can't imagine it being anything other than a Classic. [Aug 2006, p.58]
  2. Prey is touted as having an adaptive difficulty system -- the better you are, the better it gets -- and it really did seem to get harder as the game went on. As a result, there are just two difficulty settings, Normal and Cherokee, and I'd advise that even vets might want to give Normal a try on the first run out, letting the game's artificial intelligence pick up the pace to a comfortable level.
  3. Plot holes aside, the gameplay in Prey is nothing short of amazing. Whether you're wandering up walls, shifting gravity, shrunk down to the size of a mouse, going into spirit form, fighting in the afterlife, or floating around in a service vehicle... Prey has got everything anyone could want from a sci-fi shooter and more.