6.3

1. Nov 19, 2014
    This is a truly fun game. You feel bad ass all the way with the powers you get. I have played for hours without getting bored at all. I didn't experience any issues on my PC. The feeling of freedom as you hover over towering blocks and choose different powers to use makes this game one of the more enjoyable games I've played lately. I personally believe Prototype 2 is more refined thanThis is a truly fun game. You feel bad ass all the way with the powers you get. I have played for hours without getting bored at all. I didn't experience any issues on my PC. The feeling of freedom as you hover over towering blocks and choose different powers to use makes this game one of the more enjoyable games I've played lately. I personally believe Prototype 2 is more refined than Prototype 1. I didn't enjoy 1 as much as I did 2. Recommended. Expand
  2. Dux
    Jul 22, 2014
    After having played and completed the first Prototype twice, I forgot about this type of game for a while. I liked the game, but two times was enough for me. After a while, Prototype 2 came out, and I suddenly remembered how much fun it was to plow through crowds of standard sods and military personnel alike. Needless to say, I was very excited. But also very broke. So I put off playingAfter having played and completed the first Prototype twice, I forgot about this type of game for a while. I liked the game, but two times was enough for me. After a while, Prototype 2 came out, and I suddenly remembered how much fun it was to plow through crowds of standard sods and military personnel alike. Needless to say, I was very excited. But also very broke. So I put off playing this game. Not too long ago, however, this game appeared on the Steam Summer Sale for 5 euros. I bought it without a second's hesitation. I was very excited.

So now for the fun part: it didn't work. The game would start up, show me the first developer logo, and then freeze, so that I had to manually kill the process. I've googled the problem, still optimistic, hoping for a quick and easy solution. What I found instead was a literal tome of complaints, bugs, glitches, issues and other nasty stuff. I dug and dug the google search results for days on end, and didn't find any solution to my problem. At this point in time, mind you, the game was already out for more than a year.

After a week or so, I managed to find a solution, and even posted it on Steam forums, in case it could help someone. But then I stumbled upon another set of problems: abhorrent lag and graphical issues. Those two were easier to fix, but at a great cost. I had no other choice than to use a third party program to cap my game at 30 FPS (!), while on my machine, it should be running at atleast 100. Also, I had to restart it every hour or so, so the lag wouldn't come back.

Apparently, the issue was my graphics card. The devs were very kind to nVidia users, optimizing their game to those cards. If you have an ATI though, you are truly, for lack of a better word, **** This port is HORRIBLE. It has absolutely zero redeeming qualities. Textures are rendered at half resolution, the options menu is lackluster to say the least, the framerate skips and jumps on ATI's, and is locked to 30 from what I read on nVidia's. All in all, absolutely revolting port.

But, me being a fan of the first game, I managed to live with all the problems, and found the game itself quite good. The gameplay is fun, the story is not half bad, and there are a few new additions to the gameplay. Overall, it's an improvement on the first game.

So, long story short. If you own an ATI card, don't buy it. If you want it to look and run well on the PC, don't buy it. If you don't want a headache from having to deal with all the problems, don't buy it. If you don't care, are willing to persevere just to play it at mediocre settings and graphical fidelity, give it a try. The game is good, the port is **** terrible.
  3. Jul 4, 2014
    Same as the first game, HORRIBLE PC port. Playing with mouse and keyboard is really hard and tiring. But not only the controls, the fps jumps around from 20 fps back up to it's original place A LOT, and crashes do happen from time to time. Get yourself a controller to play with and the controls will be just fine though.

Apart from the negatives, this game is very entertaining. If I

Apart from the negatives, this game is very entertaining. If I would rate it on the console I'd give it a solid 7 for it's (not so well written but) interesting story, mind-blowing non-stop slaughter action and it's very efficient way of letting you roam the streets and rooftops of New York . I'd say this is the evil version of Spider Man.
  4. May 21, 2014
    Although I enjoy leaping around the city with my near-invincible superpowers, I can only give Prototype 2 a 6 because of the totally crap AI. I can toss a car into a bunch of soldiers, destroy a tank, then run around a corner, disguise myself, and come back in less than 10 seconds, and the stupid brainless AI soldiers have forgotten it happened. Even with the fires still blazing. But otherAlthough I enjoy leaping around the city with my near-invincible superpowers, I can only give Prototype 2 a 6 because of the totally crap AI. I can toss a car into a bunch of soldiers, destroy a tank, then run around a corner, disguise myself, and come back in less than 10 seconds, and the stupid brainless AI soldiers have forgotten it happened. Even with the fires still blazing. But other than that...it's a lot of fun. Expand
  5. Jan 25, 2014
    Great Game but this game isn't a "everone game" which mean thatbnot every age of people can play this game because this game contain badwords but for the game storyline , it's the best , why ? Because it is creating the next chapter of prototype 1 and alex mercer in this story is evil but no need worry he will be defeted in the last mission anyway this game is good
  6. Jan 4, 2014
    The best thing about Prototype is the freedom of destructive action. You can dropkick a helicopter or tear off a tank's turret then smash it dead with that very turret. Pity you can't tear down buildings. And that destruction (and a new power) is the only high point of the game. The rest is worse than in the original.

The plot is completely an excuse one and the protagonist is extra

The plot is completely an excuse one and the protagonist is extra stupid with a side of macho man pain, which really lowers the amount of care given.

The graphics are rather outdated, too. With no real innovation and a reduced array of fun activities this might be worth buying at a sale but only if you've completed over 90% of the original and desperately want to see a couple new enemy types.
  7. Dec 4, 2013
    Garbage compared to the previous part. Worse controls (not a very good console port), graphics look silly and too colorful but still dated, story was cool in the 1st one here it is really dumb with an extremely unlikable protagonist. Terrible progression model based on fu....ing collectibles!!! REALLY??? Great progression from 1st one ripped and turned into turd.
    Good things? Some new
    Good things? Some new features compared to the first one like tearing miniguns of choppers.
    Not recommended for fans of Prototype 1 but for those who want action-packed game on their screens and don't want to get first one yeah go for it it gets 6/10.
  8. Dec 3, 2013
    Pro of Prototype 2

-Much much better graphic -Storyline is better -The ending is epic -It is very fun to messing around in green zone Cons of Prototype 2 -Prototype 2's mission focused on sneaking to consume some your target sneaky,Prototype 1 focused using the special ability on most of mission -Heller run slower than Alex -Alex's power is better than Heller's power -Shield
    Pro of Prototype 2

-Much much better graphic
    -Storyline is better
    -The ending is epic
    -It is very fun to messing around in green zone

Cons of Prototype 2

-Heller run slower than Alex
    -Alex's power is better than Heller's power
    -Shield too OP,it is possible to complete a mission by deflecting bullet and rockets
    -After you complete everything,Prototype 2 is getting very boring
    -Why do they make Alex became very evil person?
  9. Nov 21, 2013
    this game is all about sucking money out of you.it took me 4 hours of play time then told me if you want to continue you have to go online and pay $4.99 for the next board. don't buy this game it will not make you happy. the game makers are greedy
  10. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is better than any Assassin's Creed will ever be.

This game is better than any Assassin's Creed will ever be.

Although there's a difference in focus and scope, Prototype 2 grows on its predecessor's stealth and guerrilla tactics. Graphics are OK, and just like Prototype 1, the amount of cutscenes, memories and missions is astounding. The character upgrades really make you feel like a super-powered badass, but most importantly, this game allows you to hunt your target, put yourself into position, drop in, take your target, and disappear by blending into the chaos. This is particularly where this game shines in comparison with other games on its category, and especially with the AC saga, thanks to an accessible and fun system that allows for almost total freedom in mission execution: not to mention collectibles that actually DO SOMETHING for the character, instead of being just another counter in your HUD to fill. No need to take a given path, no need to just smash on your "riposte" button until you go numb. On that respect, keyboard controls are poorly implemented and kinda suck. Not game-breaking, but can get kinda annoying.

Game worked perfectly in an i7 3770, 8GB RAM DDR3, GeForce 650 2GB DDR5. If it doesn't work in your next-gen über computer... well, try without running it on crossfired dual-proc graphics card, you goddamn moron.
  11. Jul 30, 2013
    I love Prototype and Prototype 2 but this game suffers from tremendous Lag, i really wanted to see this game so i turned off everything that would make it look good and still got Huge lag so Long story short i really don't see much of a fix for this game at all.
  12. May 9, 2013
    prototype 2 is a really fun game. the gameplay is great, though its a little repetetive. the combat uses one of the greatest combat systems i have ever played. the bad stuff is the story is OK and not more than that. the characters are flat and boring. the graphics are OK as well though they are a bit outdated. some animations and effects look really bad, especially explosions.
    overall
    overall this is a really fun game!!!!!! just dont buy it for the story or graphics. you should buy it if you want really awesome gameplay!!!!!!
  13. Apr 8, 2013
    This game definitely has its problems, but I don't really see why so many people hate it. I actually thought it was a pretty decent game. The powers are fantastic and otherworldly, and by the end of the game I wanted those powers myself. The minigames were quite fun too. Travelling around the city didn't feel like a chore, as you can run at race car speeds and jump over any obstacle inThis game definitely has its problems, but I don't really see why so many people hate it. I actually thought it was a pretty decent game. The powers are fantastic and otherworldly, and by the end of the game I wanted those powers myself. The minigames were quite fun too. Travelling around the city didn't feel like a chore, as you can run at race car speeds and jump over any obstacle in your way. It was actually quite fun just pressing the sprint button and seeing what will happen. This game makes you feel like a serious bad ass.
    There were a couple downsides. Graphics are just mediocre, and the story was dull. In fact, the story felt kind of nonexistent. The game felt more like an open world experience, with the story sort of like the main minigame.
  14. Apr 1, 2013
    Well i don't know about everyone else but i liked the Game. and the Free Roam was awesome.
    Not to mention The dude is pumped with God knows what in his body and is missing a Child i can understand the lack of Tact and more Rage. Intellect was unnecessary for this man and i think they played it well. If he was stupid he would have sided with the bad guy. The mutation Made him evil and it makes every one Evil including Heller and that's why he was killing Alex. Understand the story people. Open your Eyes.
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    Prototype 2 is one of those braindead games that will just have you destroy stuff while being overpowered and nearly invincible. The only fun I had was jumping from rooftop to rooftop, but they made this game so dull and uninterresting and the main character just so overpowered that he'll leave the Hulk crying in a small dark corner.
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    though it has impressive graphics and visuals, but the game is just boring and very repetitive.. the story is dumb and james heller is consensually obnoxious.. Side missions are almost all the same.
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    Prototype 2 takes the great potential of the previous bio-weapon setting and unfortunately does nothing new with it. The new protagonist falls flat, and the missions quickly grow as repetitive as in the first. Although some attempt has been made to inject more flavour to the missions to make them feel slightly more varied and more linked to the overarching story, they still feel likePrototype 2 takes the great potential of the previous bio-weapon setting and unfortunately does nothing new with it. The new protagonist falls flat, and the missions quickly grow as repetitive as in the first. Although some attempt has been made to inject more flavour to the missions to make them feel slightly more varied and more linked to the overarching story, they still feel like hollow padding for additional stats. I would see this game as a typical high-budget romp, only the technical issues from the first remain. Many confuse these technical issues as a mere matter of PC strength, yet for reference my system is quite stable and capable of running Crysis 2 and Skyrim on high settings at a solid framerate. No, these technical issues run deeper. For many, the game generates gradually worsening performance lag akin to a memory leak, just as the first game did. The longer the play session, the more severe the performance is hit. Others have to search for fixes just to open the game or to enable sound. Once again, the developer has shown complete disinterest for those in the 'dead spot' between fixes, either unable or unwilling to ensure full compatibility for their port. Some of the official fixes being listed as "disconnect your keyboard and mouse for the duration of your play-session" or "manually overclock your graphics card to factory default settings". It is worth noting that the port of the original Prototype game had similar issues, that were mostly resolved by deleting a sound pack of ambient sounds of all things. After struggling against the issues until halfway into the game, I found an unusual work-around in simply alt-tabbing out for a moment or two, which seemed to calm the progressive lag. No, it wasn't a heat issue on either my CPU or my GPU, I checked. Then finally, when I pushed through to the ending, I was faced with a blank screen. The game decided to feed me the ending as audio-only. At this point I was no longer phased. I almost expected it.

The game content itself is squandered potential, but provides a mediocre 'high budget' affair minus the fine polish. Chock full of typical annoying boss-fights, in-plain-view 'stealth' moments, character tropes and stat chasing. The novelty wears off fast. Purchasing this game is a giant gamble on simply being able to play, and that alone is a sad statement for PC gaming, when the number of discontented customers is so easily swept under the carpet. Your customer base is not a disposable team of bugfixers, youtube is not a valid way of showing the ending, and telling people to butcher their settings isn't really a 'fix' to your product, y'know? Score heavily influenced by technical issues, though had there been none, I feel it would have only earned something in the region of a 6.
  18. Feb 13, 2013
    Having never played Prototype, I thought this would be a good game to try out, given how it is a relatively new release, so it can't really be that bad. Turns out, it was that bad. Frame rate stutters often at the most random intervals when the graphics is turned on high, and even when the setting is high, the game still looks like something out of 2005. The buildings looks as if they wereHaving never played Prototype, I thought this would be a good game to try out, given how it is a relatively new release, so it can't really be that bad. Turns out, it was that bad. Frame rate stutters often at the most random intervals when the graphics is turned on high, and even when the setting is high, the game still looks like something out of 2005. The buildings looks as if they were copy and paste, and the whole city feels artificial, lacking in any kind of feeling or personality. This, unfortunately, complements the artificial story. Even in the beginning of the game, the player is left wondering how Heller was able to completely overcome his hatred of Mercer so quickly.
    On top of this, the gameplay sucks pretty bad as well. Why is it that while sprinting, a shockwave pulses out from your character, and it is completely ignored by the patroling soldiers. And why allow people to pick up the plentiful guns if the game lacks any kind of free-aiming? Plus, how is your character able to jump into the air and flying jump kick a helicopter 50 meters away? Things like this make the game feel as if it is some low budget knockoff of some generic superhero story. Disliked it.
  19. Feb 6, 2013
    Another definition of mediocrity. It's yet another poorly done console port with bad graphics (especially textures) and abysmal performance on PC. The gameplay is as mediocre as it can go. Button masher that is poorly executed with no feeling of impact or momentum, backed by more shallow, forced RPG elements that are linear and bland character upgrades. Run up walls, jump 15 meters, glideAnother definition of mediocrity. It's yet another poorly done console port with bad graphics (especially textures) and abysmal performance on PC. The gameplay is as mediocre as it can go. Button masher that is poorly executed with no feeling of impact or momentum, backed by more shallow, forced RPG elements that are linear and bland character upgrades. Run up walls, jump 15 meters, glide through the air, rip tanks apart with your hands, thanks YET ****ING AGAIN TO A MAGICAL VIRUS! Story is just uninteresting, mainly due to the poor writing, as it consists purely of cliches and a common profanity after every 3 words. This silly game feels unfinished and was entertaining for about an hour. Expand
  20. Jan 6, 2013
    Horrible port to PC, you can swim through the forums about how furious people with high-end systems are that their vid cards/processors aren't supported by craptivision's engine. Side-by-side with the first game, same person, same powers, same missions. The only difference with this one is fighting grotesque/enormous bosses, which all hail in comparison to any God of War or DarksidersHorrible port to PC, you can swim through the forums about how furious people with high-end systems are that their vid cards/processors aren't supported by craptivision's engine. Side-by-side with the first game, same person, same powers, same missions. The only difference with this one is fighting grotesque/enormous bosses, which all hail in comparison to any God of War or Darksiders boss.
    Technical specs aside, how you felt about this one compared to the first aside, and any possible bias towards Activision out the window; this game is essentially a mature renovation of a spider-man game. Same extensively repetitive button mashing, same endless and stale side quests, generic "your the good guy but actually the bad guy too" plot wherein being good/evil doesn't decide anything game changing. Bottom line, it feels like this game is 4-5 others mashed up together into an excuse for a sequel. Replay-ability is 0, and the story line is forgettable.
  21. Dec 28, 2012
    Though they increased the visuals and control, it feels as though they have taken a step backwards with not only the story but the overall interest that made the original popular. The protagonist is in no way of the same caliber as Alex Mercer in Prototype 1 and you tend to get tired of his "man-pain" very quickly. If story and continuity are not something you think contribute to theThough they increased the visuals and control, it feels as though they have taken a step backwards with not only the story but the overall interest that made the original popular. The protagonist is in no way of the same caliber as Alex Mercer in Prototype 1 and you tend to get tired of his "man-pain" very quickly. If story and continuity are not something you think contribute to the overall greatness of a game, then you will probably love this game - but if you want more than just GTA on steroids ... look elsewhere. Expand
  22. Dec 19, 2012
    Its very similar to the first game with a few improvements. If you did not like the first game, do not bother with this one.
    Personally, i think its really fun. You basically have unlimited power and few like a semi-god running around new york. Free roaming and some repetitive side missions, but very rewarding. The story is bad and does not let you relate to any character (because you play both "bad" and "good" guys), but the main missions are usually fun and the fact that your powers make you feel like you could kill superman with a click of your fingers compensate to all that.
  23. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is awesome and i don't know why most other gamers don't like this game.This game's excellent features are its wall run and gliding.My favoirite weapon is blade.
  24. Dec 6, 2012
    Quite fun to play game but still lacks a good base...it has lot of errors on the pc port and mostly it provides nothing..Textures are very often blobs of blurry color mixed together
  25. Nov 25, 2012
    Let's start by saying that Prototype 1 is one of my all time favorites and Prototype 2 one of my all time worst sequels. I play PC games and clearly this is a bad console conversion. Apart from various crashes, the game has an awful frame rate which makes it completely unplayable. I don't have a ninja PC, but I could play every other game I tried. For me it is simply a matter of bad game design.
  26. Nov 23, 2012
    Totally an kick-ass game where vengeance is everything. The only thing that i hated is the storyline. Playing as Heller is not as fun as playing as Alex Mercer was. Side missions are also helpful for Heller evolution.
  27. Nov 18, 2012
    If you LOVED the first one, don't get this. Unless you want a mediocre story and nothing else. If you never played the first Prototype and do not care about the story then pick this up.
  28. Nov 16, 2012
    Finally came the long awaited sequel to one of the most underrated games. She came with a new character, a better story, better with new features, more interesting missions. It is a pity that the designers practically have not changed too much, the story remained the again the graphics are not great, this optimization is rubbish, and generally a lot of items in the game has changed for theFinally came the long awaited sequel to one of the most underrated games. She came with a new character, a better story, better with new features, more interesting missions. It is a pity that the designers practically have not changed too much, the story remained the again the graphics are not great, this optimization is rubbish, and generally a lot of items in the game has changed for the worse. Too bad, because I expected better after a really good single room. My rating - 7/10 Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2012
    This is a terrible game, with plenty of technical that renders it unplayable. Although I have a PC capable of running all current games at maximum settings at over 60fps, this game runs with lots of stuttering and several performance drops, that turn the game into a mess.
    The level of incompetence to make such a bad conversion to PC of a console game is just astonishing.
    A game to avoid.
  30. Nov 5, 2012
    Despite the memory leak, the game was fun. I just wish more of my friends had it so i could fully appreciate the RADnet package so i could compete with them for top scores and such. Also, the helicopters take a while to get used to flying (that, or i'm just completely hopeless at flying aircraft)

Prototype 2 lets you feel like a hungry predator among defenseless chickens and it feels great. Only pity is you hit the same hennery over and over again. [Sept 2012]
  2. Sep 7, 2012
    It could have been great, but this gruesome and ridiculous power fantasy is spoilt by a disgracefully shabby port to PC.
  3. Aug 31, 2012
    Prototype 2 (the swan song of Radical Entertainment) is a decent open-world action game, that does not invent the wheel, but it does manage to offer solid amounts of entertainment, splattered with generous servings of blood and mayhem. [September 2012]