Rage PC

5.2

1. Oct 20, 2011
    A graphical powerhouse, Rage is, so far, easily the most technically advanced video game thus far. The gameplay, both the shooting and the driving, is top notch. The enemy animation system makes surviving every encounter feel like a miracle. It's 15-20 hour length easily eclipses most shooters. The story, though a bit sparse, is competent, and never detracts from the game as a whole. TheA graphical powerhouse, Rage is, so far, easily the most technically advanced video game thus far. The gameplay, both the shooting and the driving, is top notch. The enemy animation system makes surviving every encounter feel like a miracle. It's 15-20 hour length easily eclipses most shooters. The story, though a bit sparse, is competent, and never detracts from the game as a whole. The coop is nicely integrated into the game's backstory, and is an absolute blast. Once you get the right drivers and enable the right options, this is a shooter of the highest order. Another triumph from id Software. Expand
  2. Oct 23, 2011
    id software brings back the fun to shooters PERIOD.
    Try playing the game for more then 30m and you'll see what I mean. The only complaint I have is that the story is pretty basic and some of the missions seem rather short, because they are really cool to play.
  3. Oct 17, 2011
    This game has some of the most impressive visuals I've ever seen in a game. I'm playing the PC version. Even up close the textures don't look that bad to me, I don't know if it's different on consoles. But I've had my breath taken away more times in this game than any other I can remember, even Uncharted 3. So much of my play time I've spent just standing and drinking in the incredibleThis game has some of the most impressive visuals I've ever seen in a game. I'm playing the PC version. Even up close the textures don't look that bad to me, I don't know if it's different on consoles. But I've had my breath taken away more times in this game than any other I can remember, even Uncharted 3. So much of my play time I've spent just standing and drinking in the incredible visuals. It's hugely pleasurable just to look at the environments. Perhaps it's partly the use of megatextures, but it's also the incredible amount of work which has gone into modelling and designing the environments. There's so much detail, so much variation, it looks painstaking, the amount of unique geometry, and the unique texturing on every surface, it's overwhelming, the visuals are incredible, I love them. So much detail in every scene, more than I'm used to seeing in games. This game is a real achievement, I think the developers deserve recognition and accolades for the design and the technology of this game, it's amazing.

It's also the artistry of the designers. A lot of times I'm standing looking at a scene and what I'm looking at looks like a piece of concept art rather than in-game graphics. it's incredible. And I can turn around and see another equally impressive scene.

For the record, I had no real technical problems with this game on my PC with an Nvidia card, although I guess I bought it after a patch had been released. The only issue I had at first was screen tearing but that was fixed with a simple launch option added with Steam and now the game is perfect. Great framerate (Nvidia GTX 560.

As for gameplay, it's pretty fun, I very much enjoy the shootouts, particularly with bandits. The game is of course very derivative, there seem to have been so many post-apocalyptic RPG-esqe FPSes. The closest comparison for me is with Borderlands although of course there are many similarities with Fallout 3 (though maybe they started work on Rage before those games came out?). But it doesn't bother me really as I'm finding this game more fun and immersive than both of those games. I could do without the vehicle combat, and the racing, to me they're kind of superfluous, I don't find the vehicle combat that enjoyable, I prefer the FPS combat, but then at the same time there's nothing wrong with it and the racing is a bit fun I guess, just not so much as the FPS combat which is great. Also I would've liked to be able to use a first-person view in vehicles.

Anyway, for the graphics and design alone I give this game 9 out of 10, the developers should definitely be rewarded and encouraged as much as possible as this game is an incredible experience due to the amazing environments, the unique texturing and the time spent on the masses of unique level geometry, and the design and layout of the levels, and the artistic backgrounds. It's incredible-looking and great fun to play. Not a complete masterpiece but a damn good game, worth £30 to me.

(I took the first bit of this review from a comment I posted on a forum).
  4. Oct 10, 2011
    I purchased RAGE for PC after the patch and latest nVidia drivers came out. I'm having a lot of fun with this game and zero technical problems. id software has brought their classic shooter style into the modern generation. They must have some great artists on the team. NPCs have a lot of character and style. Very highly polished. The cities provide a nice break from the constantI purchased RAGE for PC after the patch and latest nVidia drivers came out. I'm having a lot of fun with this game and zero technical problems. id software has brought their classic shooter style into the modern generation. They must have some great artists on the team. NPCs have a lot of character and style. Very highly polished. The cities provide a nice break from the constant action of previous games. Driving is fun and rewarding. There is a good range of melee and distance fighting. Graphics are sometimes stunning and sometimes a blurry mess. Textures are crap up close, but this only detracts occasionally from the game. This is one of those games I find myself thinking about when I can't be playing. There is really nothing like this game with mix of quest-giver filled cities, classic FPS action, racing, and vehicle combat. Expand
  5. Oct 8, 2011
    I have to say that i'm truly astounded by the ratings of 0 and 1 here,after 25 hours of game time so far not had any issue's,game runs very smoothly,no tearing or missing textures and 65fps. The game is beautiful as far as the graphics go,so much attention to detail,sound is wonderful and music is grand,control is a breeze and never had a single crash,very similar to Borderlands so i'mI have to say that i'm truly astounded by the ratings of 0 and 1 here,after 25 hours of game time so far not had any issue's,game runs very smoothly,no tearing or missing textures and 65fps. The game is beautiful as far as the graphics go,so much attention to detail,sound is wonderful and music is grand,control is a breeze and never had a single crash,very similar to Borderlands so i'm very happy as that is a favourite of mine,RAGE just feels like an extension of Borderlands if truth be told,this is more than i could have hoped for and works perfectly on my GT 440,for me this works perfectly and couldn't ask for more and certainly looks better than the 360 and ps3 versions as the pc doesn't have the same restrictions,a class act and i'm sure will get even better with more content and indeed a patch or two but for me it works great so a patch isn't required,90 % from me and yes am an indie developer and been playing hundred's of games since 1978. Expand
  6. Oct 4, 2011
    A superb game. The graphics are very good. Though the storyline is little predictable, the game manages to invoke interest. There is a good mix of weapons. The First person shooting and Third Person racing combo is another plus point. The game has expansive widescreen terrains.
  7. Sep 27, 2012
    I really wanted to give this game a low score - it so clearly a bad port from consoles, where I cannot even configure the number pad separately from anything else - I mean it so aggravating, it's aggrifying (horrifyingly aggravating). That said, the is addictively fun. It is an very linear FPS with a bare but serviceable story, but everything clicked - for meat least: simple but funI really wanted to give this game a low score - it so clearly a bad port from consoles, where I cannot even configure the number pad separately from anything else - I mean it so aggravating, it's aggrifying (horrifyingly aggravating). That said, the is addictively fun. It is an very linear FPS with a bare but serviceable story, but everything clicked - for meat least: simple but fun racing, a good shoot em up, the beautiful scenery, the story, and the building weapons, even the minigames were both original and fun and that never happens. The FPS elements are awesomely butter smooth - I have never seen AI so good at evading you while coming toward the player AND the most amazing thing I ever have seen - actual acknowledgement of where they got shot. If you shoot an opponent in the side, he will grab his side; if you shoot him in the leg, he will limp. Also, they acknowledge your weapons and take evasive action accordingly ("watch out he is has a wingstick!"). I had a lot of fun customizing and building weapons; it's sort of up to you - do you prefer to build robots to walk alongside you, or just buy lots of armor and shoot it out. They have a stealth system but it's very very primitive at best, but you can try it. Finally, even though the game is not very hard per se (even Hard was very easy but hard on your ammo), they do keep uping the challenge level as you go, with enemies having more armor, or using creative tactics. At first, I though ho-hum they will just keep reusing the same space with the same boring enemies - they do reusue a lot of space, but it's done creatively and also there are some stunning surprises like Dead City or the Jackal bandits which was nothing short of AMAZING. So, I'll give it an 8, even though arguably it is really a 7. Expand
  8. Oct 5, 2011
    I have just played Rage for 2 hours and so far I'm pleased with the game. Sure, its gameplay is not revolutionary and the graphics pop in if you turn left/right quickly, but it's fun to play (and mostly to watch) nonetheless. Tip for those having fps and tearing issues: change you video card setup to "let the 3D application decide" for most of the settings; don't force v-sync on or off. IfI have just played Rage for 2 hours and so far I'm pleased with the game. Sure, its gameplay is not revolutionary and the graphics pop in if you turn left/right quickly, but it's fun to play (and mostly to watch) nonetheless. Tip for those having fps and tearing issues: change you video card setup to "let the 3D application decide" for most of the settings; don't force v-sync on or off. If this doesn't work then you might need a new rig even if your current one meets or slightly exceeds the recommended system requirements. I'm saying this because this is a nextgen engine, which historically requires a beefed-up pc. Remember, when iD released Doom 3 there were no graphic cards capable of running it maxed out yet (it required a video card with 512MB of video memory, which was unheard of at that time). My PC specs are: I7-2600, GTX 580, 8GB, Win7-64bits and Creative X-Fi Titanium audio card. Expand
  9. Jun 11, 2013
    What with the ridiculous number of 0's and 1's here, I'd felt obliged to balance it out with a 10. Rage is initially stunning to look at, but it's easy to get used to the graphical splendor. Whoever claims this game doesn't look great needs to a) upgrade their PC and/or b) have their eyes checked. Gameplay is solid, with good enemy AI, nice guns and handling of them and an overal greatWhat with the ridiculous number of 0's and 1's here, I'd felt obliged to balance it out with a 10. Rage is initially stunning to look at, but it's easy to get used to the graphical splendor. Whoever claims this game doesn't look great needs to a) upgrade their PC and/or b) have their eyes checked. Gameplay is solid, with good enemy AI, nice guns and handling of them and an overal great level of polish. Even the voice acting is pretty solid. It might be that many of the negative reviews are simple due to unrealistic expectations ("it's ID, so it HAS to be some next level and/or the early bugs (I experienced none so far). In 2013, in a sale, Rage is a great shooter with some small but nice RPG overtones. I enjoyed it more than Borderlands 2, so far, if that's any help. On the negative side: it's a bit repetitive (like most if not all shooters), it's more lineair than it likes to pretend. A great buy at a tenner or two Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2011
    After a 18 hour, 100% competition playthrough, I finally beat this game. And it was truly amazing. This game does brink us back to the FUN shooter era, which was last seen in the good old Doom and Quake times. A variety of weapons, vehicles, sidequests, customization, gear and so on, keeps you going for a long time!
    But most importantly, the graphics and the game engine - IT IS
    But most importantly, the graphics and the game engine - IT IS PHENOMENAL! Stable 60 fps all the time on my 5870, while running a custom HD Ultra Settings mod, found on steam users forums. I bet from those 18 hours of my playthrough, 3 hours were spent walking and enjoying the game's environment and surroundings, they're breathtaking. A MUST BUY!
  11. Nov 3, 2011
    I thought it was not bad, had no graphics problems myself after downloading the beta driver from nvidia. Some things it did really well, like making the towns seem alive, the card game, and racing. The artwork was good as well. A lot of the missions were a grind + too linear though, and the outdoor buggy travel was in desperate need of an in game map. I quite liked the end, since I had toI thought it was not bad, had no graphics problems myself after downloading the beta driver from nvidia. Some things it did really well, like making the towns seem alive, the card game, and racing. The artwork was good as well. A lot of the missions were a grind + too linear though, and the outdoor buggy travel was in desperate need of an in game map. I quite liked the end, since I had to use the buffs and gadgets for once though the mission was rather short. I certainly had a lot of fun in a lot of parts. Expand
  12. Aug 31, 2012
    Despite technical issues and horrendously ugly textures, Rage is an exceptionally fun game that expertly merges precise combat, wasteland exploration, questing, and mini-games into a compelling package. **** The perfectly paced levels are full of interesting sights and clever enemies. The rock-solid shooting mechanics and diverse weaponry delivers satisfaction kill after kill. The loot,Despite technical issues and horrendously ugly textures, Rage is an exceptionally fun game that expertly merges precise combat, wasteland exploration, questing, and mini-games into a compelling package. **** The perfectly paced levels are full of interesting sights and clever enemies. The rock-solid shooting mechanics and diverse weaponry delivers satisfaction kill after kill. The loot, bartering, and crafting systems are easy to use and greatly reward enterprising players. **** The characters, who are detailed and expertly animated, deliver a sense of believability as they speak their minds and further the story. The wasteland ties everything together, letting you explore and progress at your own tempo. **** To sum it up, Rage offers a purebred FPS experience that maintains the classic id-shooter feel while perfectly mixing in modern conventions. It is an outstanding game and an exemplar of the genre. It gets a 9/10 but since all the fools gave it a 0, I give it a 10/10. Expand
  13. Oct 16, 2011
    Man, there is a lot of negativity here! The game runs fine on my computer, and it is a fun game to play. A nice change from all the military style shooter that have been topping the charts. I'll admit, it not a mind blowing game (e.g. q2, q3, doom3), but it is fun. Though, I do miss the multi-player deathmatches, the co op has been OK. I wonder; how many of these folks here just don'tMan, there is a lot of negativity here! The game runs fine on my computer, and it is a fun game to play. A nice change from all the military style shooter that have been topping the charts. I'll admit, it not a mind blowing game (e.g. q2, q3, doom3), but it is fun. Though, I do miss the multi-player deathmatches, the co op has been OK. I wonder; how many of these folks here just don't have the juice to run the game? And ... almost all big titles are released somewhat buggy on the pc - if that bothers you so much, wait for the patch, and then consider buying. Expand
  14. Dec 25, 2011
    Vastly underrated, this game recieved the hate it did only because of "raging" PC gamers and their incredible sense of entitlement. I am a PC gamer myself, and I feel ashamed to be part of a community that hates a perfectly good game such as this.

The common complaints are the performance, lack of delivery for the promise of "open ended" gameplay, and numerous bugs. For one thing, buy

For one thing, buy and play this game now. For one thing, it no longer lags and it looks absolutely stunning. There are no longer ANY performance issues, and the graphics look even better than Battlefield 3. Serious Sam 3, Saints Row The Third, and Skyrim are games that tote nice graphics or DX11 options, but run poorly or have uneven performance due to bad optimization... Battlefield 3 runs on high for me with great performance, however with my 6850 HD graphics card. But that's not the point, the point is that id listened to our complaints as PC gamers and they delivered fixes. Drivers have been released that have long fixed the performance problems. This is no longer an issue.

Open world games are overrated in my opinion. I don't get that sense of "scale" or "sandbox gameplay" that other gamers obsess over.. To me, I prefer games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, that OFFER multiple paths but are still linear with a clear goal in front of me. Sometimes, linear is better simply because it is comforting and offers a clear routine or path. There is nothing wrong with open ended gameplay, but id is masterful at creating corridor shooters, NOT open world games. Expecting Rage to be anything more is utter nonsense, regardless of what John Carmack promised. I think he only promised from HIS perspective of what "open ended" means... not OUR ridiculous standards as spoiled gamers these days.

The bugs are also mostly gone. People need to take back their poor reviews this instant, it doesn't deserve a score this low. To me, this game deserves at least a 8, or a 9. It's amazing, immersive, fun, and not one bit "boring" as anyone claims. This game being "boring" is just **** from spoiled gamers who expect far too much from gaming... it's time to finally relax, immerse yourself, and ENJOY this game, especially with the lower price.

However, if you want something truly open ended or "masterful", go obsess over Skyrim and don't go play underrated open ended games like Rage or Deus Ex Human Revolution. Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is a great game, but it's a perfect example of sloppy PC optimization... again. Even RAGE fixed these performance issues by now!!

Now, I'll take my leave, I hope you all take something from my review, and reconsider Rage for your game library!
  15. Oct 21, 2011
    One of Bethesda worst Game ever. First, Rage is a very bad console port. Textures look like (crap) and all those famous pop-ins...hilarious! second, the story, this is what i have to say: Really??? Third, with so huge game (20GB), the game can be finished in 8 hours doing main: Really??
    Why adding open world if there isn't much to explore???? Every hour passed by, the game will get more and more boring...
    With all those crashes, bugs, glitches, Ai broken, bla bla bla, ID didn't gave 1minute attention on the PC platform. Thank you!!! You are actually making the game on a dam Computer and when it comes out, it comes like **** If this is going to happend on Doom 4, be prepared to not hit 1million sales, why? Because Doom was PC exclusive, and this (Rage) was one of the biggest disapointments for us. I hope this won't happend with Doom 4!!!

This is who we PC gamers see it: And those bad sales on the PC platforms, please, don't blame the piracy, blame on that game of yours which is worse than Brink. And Brink was really bad.
    But ID is the real criminal on that one. Next, pay more attention on the PC platform, there are more than 1billion PC gamers. If a game is good, it will surely pay off, i swear!!!!
  16. Dec 14, 2011
    Rage could have been an awesome game if they finished it, now it's just good. I don't mind the bugs, because after the patches it was playable, although it still crashes occasionally. The thing that bothers me more is the many buildings, locations and even doors in this game that just seem to be there, unused, not even for a simple sidequest. Instead of using all those spots they justRage could have been an awesome game if they finished it, now it's just good. I don't mind the bugs, because after the patches it was playable, although it still crashes occasionally. The thing that bothers me more is the many buildings, locations and even doors in this game that just seem to be there, unused, not even for a simple sidequest. Instead of using all those spots they just filled the game up by sending you to the area's they did design twice, with just some small changes made. The worst is the ending, which is beyond rushed. The final level looks amazing, but it's short, repetitive and when it was all over left me with an unfulfilled feeling. The final battle and ending is one of the most disappointing in gaming history and I'm not exaggerating. Not just because it's easy (even on nightmare setting the game is a breeze), but also because it's just very anti-climactic.

That said, the game is still fun to play overall. It looks beautiful and the engine (when it works) is fast while everything looks great too. I do get the feeling they left things out to make it faster, like realistic gun lighting, flashlights, or any kind of dynamic light. It could be that the automatic video settings removed this for me, but I highly doubt that. The truly great thing about this game is the AI and the way enemies behave. They jump around, evade, duck, do flying kicks, hide, flank you, climb walls and ceilings, shoot around corners, advance, or retreat/regroup when losing, etc. It's definitely the best AI I've seen in a while. Too bad you play such an overpowered character, otherwise they'd be a real challenge.

In the end the worst this game does is give you the idea that there's more, when there isn't. But there still is a lot. Easily a few evenings of playing time if you're a bit of a completionist, which is more than some top titles offer.

P.S. A lot of people complain that it's a console port, which it definitely is. You should really be happy they still make PC games, ports or not. I rather have a port than no game at all, which seems to be the way things are heading for the over-pirated PC marked.
  17. Oct 8, 2011
    I loved the game visuals and it's interesting story. It had it's flaws and it felt that the game was not delivering what it's promised. The weapon upgrades aren't in fact weapon upgrades, but different types of bullets.
    I have the say that it was fun while it lasted.
    I have the say that it was fun while it lasted.
    The game is pretty bugged at the moment, so buying it for now it's only going to be a waste of money. But in the future when the game gets more stable It will be a blast.
  18. Mar 4, 2012
    RAGE (Steam PC) Released 2011 Oct (Id / Bethesda) Played 2012 Feb
    Genre: Action and Adventure with racing minigames,
    Overall Score 9.5, Controls 10, Graphics 9, Story 10, Audio 10, DRM Steam only - thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title. I really enjoyed this game; slick and fast first person action, this game pulls you along with story and missions to keep you
    RAGE (Steam PC) Released 2011 Oct (Id / Bethesda) Played 2012 Feb
    Genre: Action and Adventure with racing minigames,
    Overall Score 9.5,
    Controls 10,
    Graphics 9,
    Story 10,
    Audio 10,
    DRM Steam only - thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title.

I really enjoyed this game; slick and fast first person action, this game pulls you along with story and missions to keep you hooked. [Story] A meteor has hit the earth and killed off the humans. You are a survivor thanks to having been dormant in a protected Ark. You emerge from the Ark to find a modern day wild west with The Authority trying to dominate, colonies of survivors, bandits, mutants, cool looking clothes and tattoos ! Comparisons to Borderlands will be inevitable but they are different games - both great. Commerce and construction of in-game items is straight forward, essential and fun - do not miss out - build as many robots as you can and use them when you are outnumbered in the game. This game hits the FPS sweet spot, after 45 hours of game play I really wish there had been more side missions. I am hoping for DLC : )

[Challenges] There is a main story has missions and in each colony there are side missions to accomplish; racing missions to upgrade your car, commando missions to clean out infested mutant tunnels, item missions to build or acquire special items, snipping missions to defend transactions. On normal difficulty I was able to accomplish 90% of the missions the first time through without a reload - I am OK with that; if you are an FPS dog then turn it up a notch! In FPS sections, the game space and environment is big enough with lots of room for flanking, covering, sniping, run and gun; all the usual elements that we have come to love in FPS. Weapons are awesome - especially the Revolver - quite apropos - construct all items and try them all out. Also, the AI is quite good so get your caffeine; I especially enjoyed the AI behaviour depending on damaged limb and physics of the moment - hilarious ! The end story is weak and kind on makes you feel like Halo2 - suddenly it is over....The physics and the control of the fully upgraded dune buggy in one of the bumpier maps made one minigame race very very very hard, it took me 30 races to take first place, compared to 1-4 for all others!

[Audience and Skill level] All skills levels will like this Game Smoothie - a juicy blend of Quake4, Borderlands and Fallout 3 in a beautifully painted landscape tall glass ! Run down to the Steam diner and pick it up now !

[MyPC] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8Gig RAM / Radeon 6870 / 1920x1200 / W7 PRO SP1 [Controls] I played with a keyboard and trackball. Keys are easy to remap and show up in the on-screen instructions. Sweet. Controls are tight Tight TIGHT; switching weapons quickly and using the perfect combination as you run and gun is always great fun. This was FPS heaven.
    [Graphics] The game world is simply beautiful, but you will need to use a custom configuration file to make this game playable; find it on the Steam Forum by FusedCore {thanks guy}, it will take you ONLY 10 mins. It amazes me that Id released a game crippled by poor video configurations - but this is a solved issue now. The game never hiccuped after the custom config file: I used the Hi-End config. [Sound] I always play with headphones; voice acting is professional, 3D sound is great, SFX bang on, the music is surprisingly serious and ominous - next time lighten up guys ; )

[Replay+AlternativeModes] This game has a bunch of co-op only levels {Legend} and multiplayer; I should probably check these out.

[Children] Adults only, no if ands or buts.

[MyFavoriteGames] [PC Win7] Rage[PC XP] DeuxExHumanRevolution & TheMissingLink, DeadSpace 1&2, Fallout3, FalloutNewVegas, HalfLife 1&2, Bordelands, BatmanArkumAsylum, AssassinsCreed 1, Magicka, RedFaction, Portal 1&2, FromDust, MrRobot, Sam&MaxSeasons1&2, CulpaInnata, TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland, DreamfallTheLongestJourney, Syberia1&2, CrayonPhysicsDeluxe, DefenseGridTheAwakening, PlantsVsZombies, Prototype, Bioshock1&2, UnrealTournament3, Quake4, [360] AfroSamurai, BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO, KOTOR1&2, Crackdown, ArmedAndDangerous, AggressiveInline, BeyondGoodAndEvil, DeadOrAlive1&2&3 ExtremeBeachVolleyball, Psychonauts [AppleG4] DeusExMachina, ReturnToZork, Suspended, UnrealTournament, TombRaiderSeries, Suspended [MyUnhappyGames] WorldOfWarcraft {boring} [Born] 1964
  19. Dec 2, 2011
    Rage was possibly one of the worst game launchs in recent memory. Driver issues, lack of PC graphic options, and bugs. While it's pretty common in most game launches to see any or all of these problems, with Rage it seemed to be the perfect storm. Combined with horrible open GL driver support from ATI, Rage really never got off the starting line. >< IF you toughed it out there was a prettyRage was possibly one of the worst game launchs in recent memory. Driver issues, lack of PC graphic options, and bugs. While it's pretty common in most game launches to see any or all of these problems, with Rage it seemed to be the perfect storm. Combined with horrible open GL driver support from ATI, Rage really never got off the starting line. >< IF you toughed it out there was a pretty good FPS hiding under all the chaos. >< Rage doesn't do anything new but rather incorporates alot of ideas that id had done well in previous games. Level design is excellent albeit a tad too linear with return visits to certain levels via side-quests. The enemies you face have better AI and are more diverse then the "Hey, let's re-skin the same mindless human model 20 times"--military shooter(s). The driving sections and racing are very arcade-ish, decent but can become repetitive also. Rage offers tons of customization, be it your car, or weapons, or items, you're given many creative ways to reign down death. Graphically the game is gorgeous, gripes about low-res textures aside, Rage is one of the best looking games around. Multiplayer is a car combat Twisted Metal style affair, which to be honest I only tried once, and didn't much care for. >< Rage wasn't the second coming of FPS that many had hoped but it's no way near as bad as some would like you to believe either. I'd recommend Rage to anyone with a decent PC now that the price has dropped. Expand
  20. Oct 4, 2011
    The story is a bit generic but the graphics, gameplay, soundscape, and voice acting are superb. The game is simply and extremely enjoyable experience. Oh, and to all the people complaining about graphics customization and control: you have a "~" key for a reason.
  21. Oct 16, 2011
    I like the game, very much. I am not one of those who would complain about technical problems or missing graphical options. This is not the first game with the same issues... Just finished the game and for a shooter I must say, that the game offers nice story (not as silly as shooters usually have), great environments (feels like its an open world with bits of freedom) and a big portion ofI like the game, very much. I am not one of those who would complain about technical problems or missing graphical options. This is not the first game with the same issues... Just finished the game and for a shooter I must say, that the game offers nice story (not as silly as shooters usually have), great environments (feels like its an open world with bits of freedom) and a big portion of action. The only thing I didn't enjoy was some of the driving parts. The game deserves a chance. The first patch already unlocked some of the graphical options and upcoming patch will open even more and it should offer hi-res textures. Expand
  22. Koo
    Oct 5, 2011
    I love this game. It's easy enough to enjoy yet challenging enough to make you want to keep playing. I haven't had any of the graphics problems described by others, and it looks fantastic on my dual GTX-460 video cards (NVidia, not ATI/AMD). I hadn't heard of this game beyond a recommendation from one of my friends and I went in to it without expectations (beyond the screenshots, whichI love this game. It's easy enough to enjoy yet challenging enough to make you want to keep playing. I haven't had any of the graphics problems described by others, and it looks fantastic on my dual GTX-460 video cards (NVidia, not ATI/AMD). I hadn't heard of this game beyond a recommendation from one of my friends and I went in to it without expectations (beyond the screenshots, which didn't impress me). I say, let the hater's rage on Rage all they want; I love this game! Expand
  23. Oct 19, 2011
    This whole game is another finger in the face of PC gamers. SHAME on the journalists who gave this a good score. Linear, drab, predictable console port. A poor Borderlands update. I want my money back!
  24. Oct 30, 2011
    No, there is no excuse for the fact that it had an(extremely) buggy PC release, especially on ATI cards. And it's also no excuse that, at launch, there were nearly NO visual options. And that even when they release a patch it still doesn't work properly. But still...
    Even though it's not as good as earlier ID software games, it's still pretty darned good.
    I think that the gunplay is good
    I think that the gunplay is good and statisfying, that the AI fluid(Wich is enhanced by gorgeous animations), and that the racing is... fine.

The gameplay is standard FPS/RPG stuff. You take quests in hub areas, then drive to the quest, shoot enemies in the quest area, and then head back to the hub. Really, don't see this as some big RPG-thing as Fallout or Borderlands: Rage is about fun. And fun is the thing I had.
    The only BIG issue I had gameplay&story wise(Besides the fact that the story is kind of lackluster), is the terrible ending. There is no boss whatsoever, you'll just be fighting enemies one second, and be watching the ending cutscene in the other.

There isn't much to say: You may like it, you may not. Long-time ID fans might be a bit dissapointed, but still, the gameplay is quite solid, and I had a blast.
    I'd buy it on a sale or when it drops to 20-30 euros/dollars, because due to the technical errors, it may not be worth your 50/60 dollars.
  25. May 15, 2012
    Technically superb; great SFX, sound-acting, music, excellent graphics and lighting, gripping facial expressions and immersive world. The characters are very convincing and have personalities. The world and characters respond to your game progression when you bump into them in the cities, providing a great role-playing atmosphere. Many mini-games to keep players occupied; although most ofTechnically superb; great SFX, sound-acting, music, excellent graphics and lighting, gripping facial expressions and immersive world. The characters are very convincing and have personalities. The world and characters respond to your game progression when you bump into them in the cities, providing a great role-playing atmosphere. Many mini-games to keep players occupied; although most of them are generic and not highly inspiring, they're a welcome addition to the hybrid game. Action and gameplay-wise, though, the game isn't too revolutionary. It isn't bad by all means, but it doesn't have a highly satisfying moment throughout the story. Still, it is a great fun amidst all the generic shooters nowadays. As of 2012, most of the bugs and technical issues have been fixed. Expand
  26. Oct 4, 2011
    come on guys, this is getting ridiculous. I would LOVE to be able to look to PC gamer reviews for some reasonable information. I'm as frustrated as the next guy that we're not getting the PC love that I would like to see, but this is the market as it is. The numbers just arent there, especially since half of the ppl dropping a zero here probably pirated the damn game anyway. Why shouldcome on guys, this is getting ridiculous. I would LOVE to be able to look to PC gamer reviews for some reasonable information. I'm as frustrated as the next guy that we're not getting the PC love that I would like to see, but this is the market as it is. The numbers just arent there, especially since half of the ppl dropping a zero here probably pirated the damn game anyway. Why should they give us love, as a community we give them **** scores no matter what they do, and probably 75% of us steal there damn games.
    There is no way this game can reasonably get a zero. Visceral combat. Only buggy issue i had was some screen tearing that required a force verticle sync in my nvidia control panel. not loving the texture pop in thing, and the textures arent exactly hi-res anyway. Driving is fun. Upgrading the car, and character and making stuff is fun.
    Is it as great as I had hoped over the past 4 years? maybe not. Is it fun and enjoyable? absolutely. I'd like to give the game a 7.9 or something but I'm attempting to stem the flow of unfair reviewers a little. But i refuse to throw out a 10.
  27. Oct 17, 2011
    I didn't have near as many problems as most people getting it to run. AMD's driver update and a custom config that I copy 'n pasted did the trick. Still, -1 for having issues at all. Graphically this game is a bit disappointing. It's not terrible, but blurry textures and not much small detail like grass. Almost everything is very static. Besides the technical issues, the gameplay is reallyI didn't have near as many problems as most people getting it to run. AMD's driver update and a custom config that I copy 'n pasted did the trick. Still, -1 for having issues at all. Graphically this game is a bit disappointing. It's not terrible, but blurry textures and not much small detail like grass. Almost everything is very static. Besides the technical issues, the gameplay is really fun. It's definitely a classic shooter with being able to hold 10 weapons and having HP (although it does regen). Bots, turrets, dynamite bolts, and pop rockets are a few of the craftable items that make combat all the more fun. Enemies dodge and cover and roll to give a good challenge. Story was mediocre but certainly passable, and most of the NPCs were quite original and charming. I definitely recommend playing it once the technical issues are fixed. Expand
  28. Oct 8, 2011
    Where's John Romero when you need him? Despite strong visuals and good sound design, the Rage fails on gameplay side of things so dramatically that there's very little or no reason to play the game. Not to mention how much bugs the Windows version has but those issues are something id Software at least can repair later on. What they cannot repair is outdated 90s game design which isWhere's John Romero when you need him? Despite strong visuals and good sound design, the Rage fails on gameplay side of things so dramatically that there's very little or no reason to play the game. Not to mention how much bugs the Windows version has but those issues are something id Software at least can repair later on. What they cannot repair is outdated 90s game design which is executed very badly. This game is exact opposite of Daikatana where the technology failed to support the too strong design. Rage has too strong technology for so weak design that it cannot support the overall experience in a positive manner. And all that just leaves very bad after taste in mouth. Solution is firing Tim Willits (or moving him to be just a map designer which is what he does best) and hiring somebody who can not only design new kinds of games but also oppose John Carmack when there's a design decisions to be made. id Software, I am disappointed in you. Expand
  29. Oct 21, 2011
    I understand the harsh critics and low score the game has gotten due to technical problems. As for myself though, I only had to set one setting to get rid of tearing, and then ran flawlessly ever since. On to the game, while the textures are sort of muddy up close with certain objects, I find the world, atmospheric, and it runs very fluid, so it's a good tradeoff in my opinion. WorstI understand the harsh critics and low score the game has gotten due to technical problems. As for myself though, I only had to set one setting to get rid of tearing, and then ran flawlessly ever since. On to the game, while the textures are sort of muddy up close with certain objects, I find the world, atmospheric, and it runs very fluid, so it's a good tradeoff in my opinion. Worst thing for playability is stuttering and uneven framerates.

It's a game which mixes classical FPS, with some crazy driving physics and a bit of RPG, and it's not to be expected all parts come off flawlessly, or in great depth. The story is neglible, but it gives some context for your actions, the RPG bit, or rather, the fact that you got money and items and are able to make stuff - , I like it a lot, it's simple, but I wouldn't want a more intricate system, as it'd just slow down the pace. I have no great grudges against the game, it took me a week+ of casual gaming to finish, spending time with minigames and generally fooling around. Although, the end was kind of a anti climax. And what's the point wiht turrets vs spider sentry when they so easily may be tipped over? And you can't pick it up afterwards without dismantling into loot - unless it didnt fire at all that is, which helps a bit. But I don't see any reason to use it instead of spider in any situation.
  30. Oct 11, 2011
    Once again i want to point out that the majority of the low scores for this game is due to people not being able to play the game cause of their old hardware.

If you have a good computer (read: new hardware) and it still does not run any good they are patching the game and there are several fixes that you can apply to be able to run the game properly. Stop trolling really and do

Stop trolling really and do something about it yourself, buy new hardware, update the game and drivers, apply fixes, there are so many ways you can improve your gaming experience instead of giving the game a low score cause you are lazy.

The game is fantastic, read my previous review for more information, currently playing the DLC which i find to be rather different from what i expected.

All in all a fun game, if you have issues solve them, don't be a idiot.
  31. Oct 9, 2011
    Perfect game for me, The really like shooter from id software. Graphic are really good, probably one of the best game this year. The sound is good too. I wait to see next game created with that engine.
  32. Oct 16, 2011
    Cool game! I have atiHD4850 and an old dual core with 2 gb ram, but it works good at 1280x1024 and 2xAA and high anis.filter, and graphic is awesome! It really impressive mainly for elements in long distance and sky (most beautiful sky ever!). Animation of characters and enemies is fantastic, and voice acting is good enough. I played 5 hours since now and i can say IT IS FUN...how much?Cool game! I have atiHD4850 and an old dual core with 2 gb ram, but it works good at 1280x1024 and 2xAA and high anis.filter, and graphic is awesome! It really impressive mainly for elements in long distance and sky (most beautiful sky ever!). Animation of characters and enemies is fantastic, and voice acting is good enough. I played 5 hours since now and i can say IT IS FUN...how much? More than borderlands, but less than Fallout NV, i admit. Mutant bash, car racing and mini-games are also enjoyable and they add variety to standard shooting. I had to wait the first patch in order to play, i had 30 min of loading time before and then PURPLE textures, but after that the game crashed only 3 times (while opening ''menu'' and inventory) and compared to falloutNV that crashes randomly it's a great success ;)
    The best: COMBAT (no cover, no slow-mo, much skill and fun )
    The worst: storyline (but who cares in a FPS, just look painkiller or bulletstorm or serious sam...)
  33. Oct 6, 2011
    Awesome game! Good graphics, good sound, good racing, good AI, impressive arsenal, amazing shooting! Thanks id.
    Go Doom 4 and Rage 2 :) Haters gonna hate.
  34. Oct 10, 2011
    A solid campaign of 20 hours for racers and shooters. Though the story gets a bit too thin, there is a lot to be explored if you have the time and energy. A rich and rewarding game that loses points only on its story and technical short comings which I'm sure a company like ID software will streamline over time. There is much fun to be had and I feel some of the reviews are biased.A solid campaign of 20 hours for racers and shooters. Though the story gets a bit too thin, there is a lot to be explored if you have the time and energy. A rich and rewarding game that loses points only on its story and technical short comings which I'm sure a company like ID software will streamline over time. There is much fun to be had and I feel some of the reviews are biased. Compared to some higher rated games on this page this game vastly succeeds them in every way. Unfortunately that is the price of user reviews... To summarize; The good: Vast world, solid game play, fun weapons and vehicles. The bad: Graphic glitches, Weak story. Expand
  35. Oct 5, 2011
    i love everyone now days just wants prefect games to roll off the line. doesn't happen anymore boys and girls. computers it are custom built, plus other factors which the developer can only do so much. we had one day of bug video oh my god end of the world. as for the game-play it was solid, could have been a longer game a much longer game but it wasn't the tech 5 engine is awesome handsi love everyone now days just wants prefect games to roll off the line. doesn't happen anymore boys and girls. computers it are custom built, plus other factors which the developer can only do so much. we had one day of bug video oh my god end of the world. as for the game-play it was solid, could have been a longer game a much longer game but it wasn't the tech 5 engine is awesome hands down. I look forward to doom 4. the ID only Flaw is story is a little lacking but the game length should have been much longer. also consider the fact it this is ID 1st try at building a story based game,i mean a truly in depth story with meaningful characters* not doom story*. there not bio-ware kids. i honestly hope ID learned from building this game and improve this type of game. Expand
  36. Oct 10, 2011
    All of these ATI users are coming here bashing Rage when it's ATI at fault, not id. Blame yourself for buying an ATI for gaming purposes, then go blame ATI for not getting their act together. Thousands of Nvidia users like myself have been playing Rage since day one without a single issue. I'm on my second play through and it's been a blast! How can you ATI users review a game and giveAll of these ATI users are coming here bashing Rage when it's ATI at fault, not id. Blame yourself for buying an ATI for gaming purposes, then go blame ATI for not getting their act together. Thousands of Nvidia users like myself have been playing Rage since day one without a single issue. I'm on my second play through and it's been a blast! How can you ATI users review a game and give it a 0 when you haven't even played it yet?! The gunplay is top notch. Weapons are interesting but familiar, but the ammo additions are pretty neat. You also get some secondary weapons that are really cool like EMP grenades, wingsticks (which are like a boomerang but decapitates, sentry bots, and turrets. The racing was a lot of fun and typically I hate racing games - but in Rage it took me back to the early Blizzard days of Rock 'n Roll Racing. I'll def continue to race in the multiplayer. The story isn't as deep as say Fallout 3, but then again this is not an RPG. Rage is a shooter. It's not supposed to have a deep story to satisfy roleplayers. However, I didn't see anyone giving COD4 a 0 cause it has a generic story. Basically this game is getting a bad wrap because of the ATI driver issue, which is in no way id's fault. Nvidia users are playing the game just fine and many of us are enjoying it very much so. If you are an Nvidia user I highly recommend you try the game. Give it a fair shake cause it really does rock. Just keep in mind it is a shooter at heart, not an RPG. For you ATI users out there, I recommend you go buy an Nvidia card first and foremost so you can stop blaming the game devs for ATI's inability to develop decent drivers. Then I recommend you try actually playing Rage before you review the game. Expand
  37. Oct 11, 2011
    Great game. Although the negative comments aimed at the launch/compatibilites issues are fair enough, that is where the bad press should end for this game. It looks stunning and is great fun. I love the chopping and changing between driving and shooting - it keeps both fresh. Animations are great, environments are great. Graphically any sacrifices made (eg. dynamic lighting) are more thanGreat game. Although the negative comments aimed at the launch/compatibilites issues are fair enough, that is where the bad press should end for this game. It looks stunning and is great fun. I love the chopping and changing between driving and shooting - it keeps both fresh. Animations are great, environments are great. Graphically any sacrifices made (eg. dynamic lighting) are more than compensated by the variety of the world. For me, after ironing out early problems that were frustrating, like texture pop in and low res, the game is scary smooth and feels really well put together. The reviews are only half the story, as long as your machine runs it well, it is a 9/10. But I am giving it 10. Expand
  38. Oct 4, 2011
    Rage is a very important game in this year. It is big game. Rage has nice world, interesting story, ideal game design, good music and many many others things. I don't understand their people, who make a bad mark to this videogame. I playing Rage with pleasure.
  39. Oct 13, 2011
    Shocked by all the low reviews simply because of driver performance issues! This is a fantastic game, if you managed to wait a few days for NVIDIA & ATI to release the correct drivers, which for me at least made the game run perfectly smooth; getting past that the game looks and plays great! The game play feels really solid. I love all of the interesting weapons and ammo types. Yes,Shocked by all the low reviews simply because of driver performance issues! This is a fantastic game, if you managed to wait a few days for NVIDIA & ATI to release the correct drivers, which for me at least made the game run perfectly smooth; getting past that the game looks and plays great! The game play feels really solid. I love all of the interesting weapons and ammo types. Yes, the weapon selection uses a console-ized interface, but like most all PC games I simply used the # keys/mouse scroll, so it didn't really matter. The sounds and voice acting are top notch with good crisp realistic sounds and excellent quality voice acting. The writing and story itself were less than perfect. Lots of details left unanswered and the characters although they are voiced well don't really get involved much so you have no reason to really care much about them. However, that being said I don't play FPS games looking for award winning stories. What RAGE should and does do well is Shoot! Lots of shooting, lots of fun weapons, AI that didn't feel completely retarded like most FPS games. The driving portion handles well even using a KB, although I opted to use a gamepad at times. The mini games also were really enjoyable. I played quite a bit of the card game. Overall this game is severely under-appreciated, but I am glad I waited because I totally enjoyed it. Side note: I spent about 18 hours for a full play through. Expand
  40. Oct 13, 2011
    I think there is a bot spamming low scores in here. I mean check their accounts, the whole time it's only one review count on their profile, do not think this game is bad because of a spamming bot.
  41. Oct 9, 2011
    If you can maintain and troubleshoot your own computer then it is an excellent game with beautiful visuals. You might want to stick with the console version otherwise. In spite of also being developed for the consoles, it is a PC game through and through.

You also want to make sure that have at least 1gb video card and run a 64-bit operating system. You will need it to enable the 'large texture cache' option which resolves the texture pop-ins that people complain about.

It needs to be said that most of the 0 and 1 scores are from people who couldn't get it running properly. AMD, in particular, had some problems getting the correct driver out for this game. Once the issue has been fully resolved then it shouldn't factor into your buying decision.

Personally, I think it's id's best and most beautiful game so far.
  42. Oct 19, 2013
    Heyyo, I'm rating this 10/10 purely becuase people gave it terrible reviews due to release bugs. Now that the game's fixed up? It's plenty fun. Screw them kids who went "RELEASE GAEMS MEOW!" and then went "WAHH GAEM'S BUGGY 1/10" :P
  43. Dec 31, 2011
    PS to my last review. Whoever said they finished this game in a day is flat out LYING. There is no way someone can finish this game in a day. There are so many side missions, racing mission, and main missions it's impossible. This is a great game with great graphics, amazing sound design and voice acting, and tons of play time. There's even replay value as there are tons of side missionsPS to my last review. Whoever said they finished this game in a day is flat out LYING. There is no way someone can finish this game in a day. There are so many side missions, racing mission, and main missions it's impossible. This is a great game with great graphics, amazing sound design and voice acting, and tons of play time. There's even replay value as there are tons of side missions you might not get to the first time.

A run this game in FULL RESOLUTION and the graphics are beautiful and smooth as butter on my Intel I-5, Windows 7 64 Bit PC. I'm using the GTX560 card with 16 GB of ram installed. This game can only use up to 4GB as it's only the 32 bit version. Don't listen to the haters and Fake Negative Reviews by competition. This game is fun, offers a large mix of activities and is done very well.
  44. Oct 4, 2011
    It's disappointing to see such bandwagoning of bad reviews from the PC crowd. Check the other platforms to get a better analysis of the game. I'm not saying it's perfect - it's not - but it's not lower than the average AAA title by far. The largest glaring issues are the lack of VSynch and the desparate need for a hi-res texture pack for the PC. But those aren't large issues. They're notIt's disappointing to see such bandwagoning of bad reviews from the PC crowd. Check the other platforms to get a better analysis of the game. I'm not saying it's perfect - it's not - but it's not lower than the average AAA title by far. The largest glaring issues are the lack of VSynch and the desparate need for a hi-res texture pack for the PC. But those aren't large issues. They're not game breaking, just disappointing. But look past that and you'll find a shooter that attempts to tie itself together with a loose plot. But who's here for the plot? I mean really, did anyone see the previews and say to themselves "This looks like an awesome story!" - no - they said "This looks like I get to kill monsters in cool ways" And truth be told - you get to kill monsters in cool ways. When it comes down to brass tacks, that's why we are all buying this game and it's got it. After turning on VSynch (through the graphic card panel) all the graphical issues went away. And the game hasn't crashed. But the fighting. Oh the fighting. I can't get enough of it. And you won't be able to either. Expand
  45. Oct 13, 2011
    game is phenomenal... defientely oozes with content, gameplay, modes, graphics. Do everything the game has to offer and it will last you 20+ hours easily. Some of the best vehicles, enemies, AI, and weapons/invetory system i've ever seen.

MP vehicle challenges are a blast, and coop is very challenging.

10/10. Great job id & bethesda!
  46. Oct 15, 2011
    Rage

Rage

I should probably state that I am not fan of shooters in general, in my opinion the problem this genre suffers is repetitiveness, in most of this games you mainly walk around shooting people with different weapons killing them in different ways ( which for me is not very amusing thing to do, unless it is an online experience). Sometimes a shooter can be made bearable or even good by the storyline it has, however dialogues and cut scenes in shooters more often than not are just there to fill the space between different levels and some of players donâ
  47. Nov 11, 2012
    RAGE is certainly not the greatest game ever made. At first it was pretty much impossible to play on PC, but that's been fixed now. And it's much easier to see just how fun the game really it. It still has it's cons, I didn't really think much of the multiplayer and the story was fairly weak. But with them out the way, RAGE is great fun to play. The graphics are amazing, the action isRAGE is certainly not the greatest game ever made. At first it was pretty much impossible to play on PC, but that's been fixed now. And it's much easier to see just how fun the game really it. It still has it's cons, I didn't really think much of the multiplayer and the story was fairly weak. But with them out the way, RAGE is great fun to play. The graphics are amazing, the action is enjoyable, the driving is fun, the minigames are fairly interesting. The concept is also amazing, although it could've been executed better. I see why other don't like this, but I love it. Expand
  48. Oct 13, 2011
    UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS TO BETA IF NEED BE.
    UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS TO BETA IF NEED BE.
    I'm not entirely sure why people are having so many technical issues with this game. It ran flawlessly on my machine (I'll admit I have a decent rig). You need a card capable of open gl 3.2. These are probably the best graphics I've seen in any game. Story is not that great (it's an ID game, what did you expect). If you want a solid FPS with driving this is the game to get.
  49. Oct 9, 2011
    Ignore the haters. This game is like doom 3 and fallout 3 had a baby, with all the benefits and none of the flaws. Times a damned thousand. The graphics, guns, sounds, and even story and game mechanics are slick, dangerous, fast, furious, and explosive. You basically go on a badass rampage of manliness through various manly environments, destroying extremely terrifying or messed up foes.Ignore the haters. This game is like doom 3 and fallout 3 had a baby, with all the benefits and none of the flaws. Times a damned thousand. The graphics, guns, sounds, and even story and game mechanics are slick, dangerous, fast, furious, and explosive. You basically go on a badass rampage of manliness through various manly environments, destroying extremely terrifying or messed up foes. BUY IT IMMEDIATELY YOU INSECTS. Expand
  50. Oct 15, 2011
    Very good game. Shame it has so many bugs to attract such negative feedback. Luckily I hanven't any since launch, plus the game is running at 1080p at steady 60fps (vsync forced on driver) with all the extra cfg config. to keep textures always on max. Ppl compaining about blurry textures... yes they are... if you keep "hugging wals" or crawling on the ground with your face down... but whoVery good game. Shame it has so many bugs to attract such negative feedback. Luckily I hanven't any since launch, plus the game is running at 1080p at steady 60fps (vsync forced on driver) with all the extra cfg config. to keep textures always on max. Ppl compaining about blurry textures... yes they are... if you keep "hugging wals" or crawling on the ground with your face down... but who actualy play a game like that? By the normal distance you keep from textures as you normaly play, all you see is a razor sharp, very well texturixed game. Gameplay is the generic FPS slyle but is very good. AI is very predictable but that is the same with every game I ever played. I'm not commenting about the storyline on this since I didn't finished the game yet, but I'm liking it so far. But many ppl here are complaining that the they can't run the game and that every this and that are crap including the story... How can they know if the storyline is bad or not if they can't even run the game? After reading a lot of this nonsense reviews you start to wonder how many people came here to bash the game without even having bought it, played it or even seen someone else playing it. Expand
  51. Oct 10, 2011
    Out of the box, this game is horrid at best. Once drivers are updated and a few tweaks made to FOV, VSync, and texture pop-in (who thought THAT was a good idea?), the game really shines. I am thoroughly impressed with the graphics and the atmosphere. It's like Borderlands but better. Granted, Borderlands has it's merits, but the fact that this game creates a similar world in sometimesOut of the box, this game is horrid at best. Once drivers are updated and a few tweaks made to FOV, VSync, and texture pop-in (who thought THAT was a good idea?), the game really shines. I am thoroughly impressed with the graphics and the atmosphere. It's like Borderlands but better. Granted, Borderlands has it's merits, but the fact that this game creates a similar world in sometimes photo-realistic quality bears accolades. Overall, don't listen to the naysayers. Despite the fact that this was designed around console, the optimization, quality of graphics, and framerate stability is something to be admired by the entire of the PC community. And some of the most-frightening and intense moments I've experienced in a game since HL2. Expand
  52. Dec 11, 2011
    First of all, I'd like to point out that I have not finished the story yet as I've not got much time for gaming lately, but have been spending considerable hours with the game.

When the game first launched, I read about all those texture popping issues, and then there was issues with people with AMD GPUs not being able to play the game due to lack ( which IMO is caused by technonoobs that tried to max the game with a crappy HD5570 2GB ddr3) .

The former issue was OK and didn't hinder gameplay and was just annoying, mostly fixed with the 1st update, yet still occurs slightly in some areas, but the latter problem regarding AMD GPUs......Im a bit skeptical as I myself is a proud owner of a Radeon 6950 GPU and is currently playing the game at50fps++ with 8*MSAA.

Graphics are great, would look better if the colors are more intensive,
    characters are ok, story ( so far) is meeting my expectations and gameplay elements are not bad, the only problem I have now is with it's annoying saving system that doesn't auto save or not allow you to save between 2 intervals in some areas/missions which is a bit annoying if you die.
  53. Oct 23, 2011
    Please don't listen to all the bad reviews about this game! It wasn't the best game I've ever played but is definitely worth a playthrough. The graphics, gameplay, story, voice acting and everything else are good. I ran it with my ancient 9800 GT graphics card and a core 2 duo and have none of the performance issues people mentioned. I would give this game a 7.5 but since the game got soPlease don't listen to all the bad reviews about this game! It wasn't the best game I've ever played but is definitely worth a playthrough. The graphics, gameplay, story, voice acting and everything else are good. I ran it with my ancient 9800 GT graphics card and a core 2 duo and have none of the performance issues people mentioned. I would give this game a 7.5 but since the game got so many negative reviews i'm giving it a 10. I suspect many of the negative reviews are from the same person with different accounts and idiots who have nothing better to do than complain about a decent game! Watch out for obsessive fans who are biased against a game before it has even been released. Expand
  54. Oct 6, 2011
    Minor technical issues aside â
  55. Oct 11, 2011
    ONCE IT WAS PLAYABLE..... Rage turned out to be a pretty fun game. True, the graphics aren't "texture-tastic", but after the upgrade patches enabled me to play without framerate droppage and texture popping, it became a pretty beautiful game, but not enough to create an entirely new engine. I've been a Carmack fan since my dad brought me a copy of the freaky new game called Doom at theONCE IT WAS PLAYABLE..... Rage turned out to be a pretty fun game. True, the graphics aren't "texture-tastic", but after the upgrade patches enabled me to play without framerate droppage and texture popping, it became a pretty beautiful game, but not enough to create an entirely new engine. I've been a Carmack fan since my dad brought me a copy of the freaky new game called Doom at the ripe age of 6, but it is obvious that fame has crated more ego than talent in the past few years. Doom 3 was a technical nightmare on all systems; buggy on the pc, edited on the xbox, and bland save for the wonderful sound pack created by Musical Genius Trent Reznor, so I can't seem to understand why this got so much hype. It runs well on my ATI HD 6770, but makes me wish that I had stuck with an NVidia. It has a decent storyline, but I feel like I've played this game before. Several times. And not in an "Oh my God I've spent how much time on this Oblivion Character?" kind of way. The graphics run very smooth(now), but if you look in the corners all you see is black. And last but not least, Carmack is a stuck up a$$wipe with no shame for releasing a game that wouldn't work for most PC gamers who bought it regardless of the requirements on the box, and his comments towards pc gaming in general show that he has no respect for the audience of gamers who made id the company so powerful it could crank out a game like this with issues like this and still make a killing. I will play Rage through to the end, and I will most likely enjoy what I've started, but if Carmack doesn't want to make games for PC gamers and wants to call us a dying niche, than I formally withdraw my patronage to anything that id puts out in the future. So, John, put that in you BFG and smoke it. Expand
  56. Oct 28, 2011
    Terrific game and a fantastic new engine. Well worth your time and a must play for anyone who loves ids' past games, with great art direction and simple but very fun gameplay: just typical id. It's a shame that the PC release wasn't given more love but it's nothing a patch can't fix. For this reason I can't give it a 10 ...so id: please don't do this for Doom 4.
  57. Oct 8, 2011
    Terrible launch, amazing game. There's no way around this fact: the launch was awful. But there's also no way around this fact: RAGE features the best gunplay in an FPS since FEAR, and if you skip it because of launch issues, you're cutting off your nose to spite your own face. With a modicum of know-how and Google searching, you can quickly correct the texture pop-in issue with a customTerrible launch, amazing game. There's no way around this fact: the launch was awful. But there's also no way around this fact: RAGE features the best gunplay in an FPS since FEAR, and if you skip it because of launch issues, you're cutting off your nose to spite your own face. With a modicum of know-how and Google searching, you can quickly correct the texture pop-in issue with a custom .cfg file and turn this game into a fantastic visual experience. Sure, there are some low-res textures - as there have been in every PC game outside of Witcher 2 - but the art design and overall graphics fidelity is something to behold once it's set up correctly with 8K textures forced and pop-in minimized. Just follow these steps (the top steps work for both Nvidia and AMD): http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

Now with that out of the way, I can confidently say that this is the first SP FPS I've played since FEAR where the gunplay is just amazing. The guns are all meaty with excellent feedback and feel. What also helps immensely is that the AI is surprisingly decent, making use of nooks and crannies in enclosed spaces to flank, crouch, duck, charge, and, yes, run away. That's a great detail - when you start taking fools out, there seems to be some morale trigger where the survivors try to retreat. Or they'll blindfire from out of cover instead of aiming properly. The Wingsticks at your disposal are also a beautiful addition to the combat, so you can shoot guys at some range properly without fumbling for a different weapon to switch to if one of them charges you. Both shotguns are awesome boomsticks, though I do love the alpha strike on the DLC dual-barreled shotty in particular.

And you know what? The RPG-lite elements id included here are about as well done as you can ask for had you tasked someone with creating RPG-lite elements in a shooter. The inventory makes a lot of sense and it's satisfying to pick up loot and drops from areas or corpses and then create your own gear on the fly.

Honestly, I hope the game sells well enough that id takes a sober look at what they accomplished and where they came up short, so they can start working on quality DLC and a sequel. For one thing, they need way more people - IIRC the team is just 60 staff. That's just not enough manpower for making a big game like this.
  58. Oct 9, 2011
    This game is FANTASTIC!! Works for me flawlessly. It is fluid, amazing graphics, good story (interesting post-apocalyptic setting), really cool characters (their face, animation, gestures --- personality!), and an amazing level of detail!! ...the Wasteland, and the settlements live and breathe.... ...and it is such a pleasure to play........ It is a really cool id game. A credibleThis game is FANTASTIC!! Works for me flawlessly. It is fluid, amazing graphics, good story (interesting post-apocalyptic setting), really cool characters (their face, animation, gestures --- personality!), and an amazing level of detail!! ...the Wasteland, and the settlements live and breathe.... ...and it is such a pleasure to play........ It is a really cool id game. A credible successor to Doom. ...maybe not as revolutionary, as Doom was back then, but still, Rage is an absolutely massive FPS!!!! :))) GO GET SOME!!!! Expand
  59. Jun 4, 2012
    I'm going to preface this review by saying that I absolutely HATED Doom 3, and thought Quake 4 was insanely boring. I am no id fanboy. I laughed at how virulently people railed against this game when it came out and thought "Yeah you tell 'em, fans! Developers can't get away with this trash any more!" Then I actually played it. I picked it up on sale for $5 or something ridiculous, andI'm going to preface this review by saying that I absolutely HATED Doom 3, and thought Quake 4 was insanely boring. I am no id fanboy. I laughed at how virulently people railed against this game when it came out and thought "Yeah you tell 'em, fans! Developers can't get away with this trash any more!" Then I actually played it. I picked it up on sale for $5 or something ridiculous, and once I fired it up, I was fairly well blown away. This game will invariably be compared to Borderlands, but they're not even close to the same type of game. Borderlands is an open-world, sanbox-shooter. Rage is a much more linear, story-driven shooter. Granted the story is sort of lame, but that's the genre Rage fits in. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Sure, zoomed in all the way on certain textures makes it look ugly, but the scenery and level design are absolutely top-notch, and there were quite a few times in the game where I paused to simply admire the view. I like it when that much love goes into designing the environments. The character models are EXTREMELY well-done as well, and their animations are amazing. The characters have pores, individual chest-hairs, skin blemishes, and you can see their irises (they even make minute little movements when they're looking at you, just like a real person does). The game is very well optimized, too. My laptop has a 2.2GHz C2D processor with a 1GB mobile 9800GTS, and it ran absolutely fine for the entire game. I had most of the graphics options (of which there are not very many) turned down, but it still looked awesome (and ran way better than games like Dungeon Siege 3). If the game weren't almost 25GB, I'd be inclined to download it again on my new gaming desktop and try it out with the options maxed. Anyway, a lot of the praise I've heard of this game is aimed at the racing portion of the game, but I thought the driving aspect was rather annoying. Thankfully there are only a few required races in the story, and they are INSANELY easy. Seriously, when I was racing the "best racer in town," I was ahead of him by an entire half-lap at the end of our 3 lap race. Speaking of which, this whole game is rather easy. I played it on Normal, but am now wishing I played it on hard. I had to use the defibrillator thing exactly 1 time outside of the little training thing. I have a feeling the higher difficulties would be annoying though, since the game will throw wave after wave after wave of the little weak grunt guys at you. I'm not sure if the designers thought that would make it challenging, or were merely trying to make you waste ammo. There were a few parts in the game where I shouted at my screen "Alright! ENOUGH with the stupid little guys!" One last thing, the guns look/behave amazingly. The shotgun model is one of the coolest-looking guns I have ever seen in a video game, and thankfully (unlike other id games) when you pull the trigger, the guns go BOOM! No more of that stupid toy sound like Doom 3 had. This is a game you will want to crank up the video and sound. The ending is abrupt and rather anti-climactic, but you know it's coming. It's not like Halo 2, where there was just suddenly not a next level. Speaking of endings, this review's ending will be right after this period. Expand
  60. Oct 5, 2011
    wow look what the critic's give this and then what the players give it. Me thinks someone is maybe getting something for giving this a better then it should get review........................this game is a TURD and at 59.99 its evil what ID did shame on them and everyone that works there id like to see how they dig them selfs out of this lie hole. I know pc games will not launch bugwow look what the critic's give this and then what the players give it. Me thinks someone is maybe getting something for giving this a better then it should get review........................this game is a TURD and at 59.99 its evil what ID did shame on them and everyone that works there id like to see how they dig them selfs out of this lie hole. I know pc games will not launch bug free but this game is nasty bad with bugs makes you think nobody at ID played it before the put it out because they were to busy wineing and dinning the Critic's. SHAME Expand
  61. Oct 13, 2011
    Ok, I will preface this review by stating that I've not played the PC version, but have played both console versions. I bought it originally for PS3, and the first thing I noticed when emerging from the Ark and looking around the world was that it was beautiful. Unquestionably, a gorgeous looking gameworld, but when I then turned left to exit the gangway, I noticed something InstantlyOk, I will preface this review by stating that I've not played the PC version, but have played both console versions. I bought it originally for PS3, and the first thing I noticed when emerging from the Ark and looking around the world was that it was beautiful. Unquestionably, a gorgeous looking gameworld, but when I then turned left to exit the gangway, I noticed something Instantly off-putting: The textures of many close-up walls and surfaces were dropping in about a half-second late, which just looked cheap. I played the game through the first mission and returned to the quest-giver (voiced, I beleive, by John Goodman) and noticed even more late texture dropping. After playing the first mission I could tell the game was something special, the physics, the feel of the gun, the enemy AI, all brilliant. But the texture issue was seriously souring my experience. So, I called up gamestation and asked them to put me a 360 copy aside. I went down, traded it in, came back and started afresh. Now the texture problem was barely noticeable. I only noticed it at all cos i was looking for it, but even then, its very rarely an issue. So I started playing through, and as some other reviews point out, the first hour or two are a little slow. This isn't such a bad thing though, since alot of it is tutorial and meant to break you in slowly, revealing some of the games mechanics ang light-RPG elements. When you do get into a scuffle though, the game comes alive with a vengeance. The weapons feel heavy and deadly and they sound and feel superb. You can tell this game was made by the godfathers of the FPS genre. When I got my hands on the 12 gauge shotgun a few missions in, I was in FPS heaven! The enemy AI is brilliantly unpredictable. Enemies will scale and vault scenery as they rush you, they'll retreat in fear as you waste their friends, they'll drop to the floor as bullets whizz over their heads, showing a real sense of self-preservation. They'll flank you from all sides given the opportunity and they never do the same thing twice. And it all looks brilliant. The graphics are easily the best of a game this size, rivalled only by the likes of Killzone 3 and Crysis 2, but in a very open-world environment. The facial animation of the NPCs, while not quite to the standards of LA Noire, are incredibly life-like and convincing. The character models look great, too, just like everything else in the gameworld. There's quite a lot of RPG style looting and purchasing of weapons and upgrades, making gadgets from schematics and such like. The vehicle sections, used for getting around the world between missions and for race events, are actually huge fun and work very well indeed. You can trick-out your vehicles with new turbos, tyres, spike-wheels and projectiles as well as a fresh coat of paint to add a little personality. Sadly, you can't sell your old vehicles when you get a new one, which is an oversight in my opinion. If you die, theres a defibilator which you can choose to shock you back to life via a cool QTE minigame, which will also shock and stun any enemies stood over you. I did find the side quests unimpressive though, revisiting old areas and battling similar enemies seemed rather uninspired. Besides that though, the game rocks. Hard. I find it shocking that anyone could award this game with anything less than a 9, as its looks and gameplay come together brilliantly. Those giving it 1s ands 0s on here seem to have been playing on PC from what I read, but I think they're still being a little harsh, as the gameplay itself is worthy of far more than that, even without the great-looks of the great-looking 360 version. Fallout/Borderlands fans should enjoy this game for the setting, and FPS fans will love the game for the SHOOTING! Almost everything in the game is handled really well. The story is functional, if not amazingly ingrossing, and the environments are all stunning. The gunplay is fiirst rate and the enemy AI devilishly clever. Ignore the naysayer reviewers, they're just trying to be controversial. It's by no means perfect but it is damned good. The minigames and sidequests, along with the story are the games weakest link, but they're not why you'll buy RAGE. You'll come to RAGE for the shooting and you won't leave disapointed. Expand
  62. Oct 9, 2011
    I like this game. I can't put my finger on why 'cause I can see som issues regarding graphics and some bugs, but overall it's just fun ! Perhaps because it has the speed and simplicity I missed in fallout 3 and though it is a simple action game, still holds some RPG theme. I don't know. I do know that I think my money is well spend on this game...
  63. Oct 4, 2011
    I really do not understand the anger with this game, but I won't try to discount it. I played about 2 hours last night before bed and I am quite pleased with it thus far. To give a bit of background, I play on a laptop with a mid-level graphics card. I can run most games on med-high, but can't get much above 20 fps on witcher 2. I was quite impressed with the visual quality I as theI really do not understand the anger with this game, but I won't try to discount it. I played about 2 hours last night before bed and I am quite pleased with it thus far. To give a bit of background, I play on a laptop with a mid-level graphics card. I can run most games on med-high, but can't get much above 20 fps on witcher 2. I was quite impressed with the visual quality I as the game auto-configured it. I can certainly understand how those with monster rigs (who derive a great deal of enjoyment from micro-managing display settings) might be put off by the idea, but it is working well for me. There is some minor "tearing" (I think it's called), but I am getting higher visual quality then I ever would have expected otherwise. I also like the resilience of mobs in the game. Rarely these days do we find games where mobs can take 8 shots (if you aim center mass) before going down. I will edit this should my opinion change. What I've seen though, I like. Expand
  64. Oct 4, 2011
    The game is playing smoothly on my system. The graphics are really good. The wasteland experience is very immersible and the game quite enjoyable. The game has all the elements that will keep you hooked to it.
  65. Oct 4, 2011
    A thoroughly enjoyable game. It has all the plus points - good gameplay, impressive graphics, great music. I cannot wait to complete the game with all the possible side quests. John Carmack has given one more winner.
  66. Oct 4, 2011
    Pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a game that was your typical run-n-gun shooter. It plays as something of a cross between Doom and Fallout. Fun and engaging with great mood and ambiance. Fortunately for me I was also not plagued by the graphics bugs - the game is GORGEOUS. I am hoping that iD releases a patch quickly to fix the HQ texture load issue for everyone else. The reasonPleasantly surprised. I was expecting a game that was your typical run-n-gun shooter. It plays as something of a cross between Doom and Fallout. Fun and engaging with great mood and ambiance. Fortunately for me I was also not plagued by the graphics bugs - the game is GORGEOUS. I am hoping that iD releases a patch quickly to fix the HQ texture load issue for everyone else. The reason it does not get a 10 is because of the lack of manual control over the graphics settings - what was iD thinking?!? Overall: if you can wait for the patches before buying, do so. If not the only way I can you being disappointed is if you were hoping for a sandbox shooter. Expand
  67. Oct 4, 2011
    Super fun and super awesome. Definitely the best level design I've EVER seen in a game... Definitely sets the standards for the industry higher. It's nice to have a new target of quality to shoot for as a developer as well :)
  68. Oct 4, 2011
    Rage is an excellent fps. Especially if you're looking for a non-cover based, non-call of duty type game. What surprised me was how intense the firefights can get even with the lack of a cover system. The ai is pretty neat, very reactive. Even the multiplayer is fairly enjoyable, which is more than what I thought it would be initially. People looking for a good old school type fpsRage is an excellent fps. Especially if you're looking for a non-cover based, non-call of duty type game. What surprised me was how intense the firefights can get even with the lack of a cover system. The ai is pretty neat, very reactive. Even the multiplayer is fairly enjoyable, which is more than what I thought it would be initially. People looking for a good old school type fps that isn't centered around firing an m16 at questionably dressed army type guys might be served by checking into this. Expand
  69. Oct 11, 2011
    Thankfully, the patches got the game working on my PC and I've managed to finish the game. Overall it was a enjoyable experience, the combat is super fun and the game is at times stunningly beautiful. That being said, I feel like the game was rush at the end, or content was cut out of the game, as the ending comes on incredibly quick. Which is shocking to me given the length of time thisThankfully, the patches got the game working on my PC and I've managed to finish the game. Overall it was a enjoyable experience, the combat is super fun and the game is at times stunningly beautiful. That being said, I feel like the game was rush at the end, or content was cut out of the game, as the ending comes on incredibly quick. Which is shocking to me given the length of time this game was in development. Maybe I missed a bunch of side mission or we are getting DLC. I guess I'll find out when I play through it again, yes the combat is that fun. I Expand
  70. Oct 4, 2011
    I find it funny that everyone seems to jump onto the bandwagon of saying it's a terrible game because of bugs and lack of video options, if this was developed solely by bethesda (i.e. something like fallout) no one would complain at all and yet that was literaly unplayable on release for the PC. Bethesda are a classic example of a company who force developers to put games out when they'reI find it funny that everyone seems to jump onto the bandwagon of saying it's a terrible game because of bugs and lack of video options, if this was developed solely by bethesda (i.e. something like fallout) no one would complain at all and yet that was literaly unplayable on release for the PC. Bethesda are a classic example of a company who force developers to put games out when they're not ready, look at Brink! Personally I really enjoyed the game, the story leaves a lot to be desired, but the gameplay is fun and and the worls they created is unlike any other post apocalyptic world I've ever seen. Expand
  71. Oct 5, 2011
    Gameplay:
    - For me its very much fun, nothing to complain against.
    Graphics: - They look awesome, after a Driver-Update, before it was a mess, but hey, they simply "forced" this opengl-support (which was always a mess in ati drivers, people knowing "fglrx" will know), instead of listening to ati which tells "why should we fix this, when everyone is using the old tech?" Sound: - Making a
    Gameplay:
    - For me its very much fun, nothing to complain against.

Graphics:

Sound:
    - Making a realy nice atmosphere

Multiplayer:
    - Didnt check this yet

All in all:
    - A little delay after release, however not that much that i would call it a fail. After reading through this new tech, it woul dbe amazing seeing future games using this, when it the opengl-implementation in drivers is finaly as solid as directX. Furthermore: a linux-client (which would be possible cause of the opengl), a SDK, a 64bit executable, and the original 150GB texture-pack (maybe shippable on blu-rays, or large download), would be awesome and giving this the glance it needs.
    So, when looking at the Addition: Yeah, i was in rage about rage (funny :D) at first... But: im writing a review for this game, not for the driver-problems in the first 24-hours after release. So i CAN understand people who are very upset, but imagine they got it working 100% for everyone in the next 2 days, i bet people dont realy give this product the chance then, and maybe edit the absolutely stupid reviews here, which are simply based on their emotions, and do not realy reflect the game itself.
  72. Oct 5, 2011
    Rage looks wonderfull with its graphics and its fluidity.
    Even if the plot of the game is far to be a deep plot, the design and the overall style is one of the most fascinating ever seen.
    But the most important thing about this game is that it is pure fun to the nth degree... this is THE real FPS.
    Thanks ID for this new piece of gold!
  73. Oct 5, 2011
    One of the best games this year.High quality fallout-like gameplay.Graphics are beautiful,gameplay is addicting.There are many things to do.Shooting mechanics are awesome.
  74. Oct 5, 2011
    I play RAGE and it's a really good FPS, monster are really dynamic ( if you have a any good nVidia graphic card the game quality will be just awesome ). The race mode is great and offer lots of play time. The open wasteland let the adventurer explore lots of place with monster and treasure. Maybe people expect too much from this game. In overall, it's a great FPS and a good racer with aI play RAGE and it's a really good FPS, monster are really dynamic ( if you have a any good nVidia graphic card the game quality will be just awesome ). The race mode is great and offer lots of play time. The open wasteland let the adventurer explore lots of place with monster and treasure. Maybe people expect too much from this game. In overall, it's a great FPS and a good racer with a bit of self-willing from the player to explore the game. The graphic quality is epic and run smoothly on my PC. Expand
  75. Oct 5, 2011
    in no way this is a 3.1
    22gb? so? people playing it on stone age pcs?
    if you payed a hundred bucks for the 22 gb ok but you didnt - so dont complain! the rating, im sure, is that low because there are issues with the releae version(which i dont have- cause i fixed them) i bet most people who rated it that bad just were to stupid to fix it for themselves they should just wait for a
    in no way this is a 3.1
    22gb? so? people playing it on stone age pcs?
    if you payed a hundred bucks for the 22 gb ok but you didnt - so dont complain!
    they should just wait for a patch and then review it
    its a great shooter, it runs like a charm for me and hell it's fun
    and it dont feel like a console port (like dead space 2 or others with those terrible controls full of input lag and mouse movement restrictions)
    good game
    most reviews here just show how clueless many people are
  76. Oct 5, 2011
    All of these negative reviews are absolute crap.

The game, after a lengthy problem of steam not allowing the game to run, ran perfectly fine. It is entertaining, fast paced and I have no issues.

I recommend this game despite the high price point. Ignore all of the negative reviews.
  77. Oct 5, 2011
    This game has issues but its not a bad game. It reminds me of Doom 2; a game that I really liked. Speaking of Doom 2, back then I had a really slow computer and I had to sometimes wait a relatively long time for stages to load but I had fun. However, one thing this game does not have is dumb enemies. I liked Gears of War mostly because of the challenging enemies. However, GoW2 and GoW3This game has issues but its not a bad game. It reminds me of Doom 2; a game that I really liked. Speaking of Doom 2, back then I had a really slow computer and I had to sometimes wait a relatively long time for stages to load but I had fun. However, one thing this game does not have is dumb enemies. I liked Gears of War mostly because of the challenging enemies. However, GoW2 and GoW3 made the enemies stupid in favor of eye candy. In rage I get both eye candy and challenging enemies (I'm not big into stories, which is what so many are complaining about, what happen to those same complaints for Fallout, which had dry static animation, a slowwwww moving plot, and damn near card board npcs) -- so at least for me the game gets a 9. Expand
  78. Oct 5, 2011
    I am so surprised by how unready RAGE is. I am a ATi video-card owner and this game keeps reloading textures as i look around with the mouse. Also you can't enable vsync so you have to be prepared to watch screen tearing everytime a cut scene occurs. I'm going to stop playing and wait for a patch. (p.s running Win7-64bit, i7 920 stock, 6 gigs ram and Asus V2 5870 & yes all drivers up to date).
  79. Oct 6, 2011
    Rage is one of the BEST FPS in 2011 definitely, although it has some texture in PC, but now it has some workaround that solve over 90% problem. the texture is low resolution when look closely, but during normal gaming time, the visual is really AWESOME, every place is unique, not other games have many repeat environment.
    Rage wastland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed
    Rage wastland is one of the best art in all FPS till now. the mixed setting between hardcore FPS and RPG is very good. Play feel like hardcore FPS, but has some RPG element, the RPG elements don't infuluence the shooting feeling, this game is still a fast moving & shooting FPS, I think Rage is a awesome for hardcore & old-school FPS gamer. The fallen of Duke Nukem Forever make me feel maybe this type FPS could be vanished, but the coming of Rage make me feel so happy, I bought rage during steam QuakeCon sale with DOOM & Quake pack, I feel this is a very worthy deal.
    If you like some different and innovative FPS game, I think Rage is a good choice for you:)
  80. Oct 6, 2011
    Honestly i dotn see why everyone is hating on the game, i havent experienced the issues others have, i guess im just lucky, but seriously...if its that much of a problem i'm sure i.d. will patch it in the coming days!
  81. Oct 6, 2011
    Once you get past the self-entitled "it didn't work the instant I bought it even though it was a third-party driver rather than the publisher" whining and review bombing, RAGE is actually a pretty solid shooter. Driving around is a pure joy: it has a cinematic feel. This game is not meant for you to go stand right next to the wall and cry because the texture is low-res, what you areOnce you get past the self-entitled "it didn't work the instant I bought it even though it was a third-party driver rather than the publisher" whining and review bombing, RAGE is actually a pretty solid shooter. Driving around is a pure joy: it has a cinematic feel. This game is not meant for you to go stand right next to the wall and cry because the texture is low-res, what you are supposed to do is stand at least 10 feet back and pan from left to right and see the amazing unique detail that is everywhere. If your panties are especially knotty then wait a few more days for driver issues to be fully sorted. I already have amazing PC visuals through configuration files and it's only going to get better. I wanted to give RAGE an 8 but on average it needs a 10. Expand
  82. Oct 6, 2011
    I purchased this game for the PC. I run it on a Asus G73 laptop with a Radeon HD 5870, with terrible texture pop-in. After tweeking with the settings by creating a config for Rage, the texture pop-in is hardly a concern at this point. My game does crash at many points in the game, but even with this issue, the game play for me is pure glee. I have a hard time thinking of the last timeI purchased this game for the PC. I run it on a Asus G73 laptop with a Radeon HD 5870, with terrible texture pop-in. After tweeking with the settings by creating a config for Rage, the texture pop-in is hardly a concern at this point. My game does crash at many points in the game, but even with this issue, the game play for me is pure glee. I have a hard time thinking of the last time I have played a FPS that felt like an FPS... Emphasis on shooter, because like any id game, this game puts the shoot in shooter... I squeal with utmost satisfaction disposing of my mutant chums... Remove the delicious eye candy, and I still have a gun and gun shooter that feeds my old soul for what is has been craving for years now. Enjoy it for what it is. Expand
  83. Oct 6, 2011
    The mere fact that so many people have taken time out of their day to come here and post ludicrously low scores on the game simply because it has issues on launch day is pretty **** sad, tbh. How about you release a AAA, multi-platform game of this scale and see how **** easy it is to make it run consistently well on a platform as widely varied as PC before you **** your pants about someThe mere fact that so many people have taken time out of their day to come here and post ludicrously low scores on the game simply because it has issues on launch day is pretty **** sad, tbh. How about you release a AAA, multi-platform game of this scale and see how **** easy it is to make it run consistently well on a platform as widely varied as PC before you **** your pants about some release day bugs. Once you iron out the problems with the game, it's an absolute blast, as I expected. The action is fast paced and over the top, the arsenal large, varied and unrestricted, and the controls smooth and responsive. A lot of it is pretty standard Id fare (though hugely polished and modernized), but the rest of it is incredibly solid too. Ther story is passable, but honestly, anyone who is playing this looking for interesting character development and an engaging plot has clearly mixed up Id with Bioware or someone similar. For those that weren't for some retarded reason expecting Fallout 3 or Borderlands (both of which are inherently inferior in terms of their FPS mechanics) and instead were hoping for a polished Id FPS with light free roam elements and a polished racing mechanic, I think this game should be entirely satisfying. Expand
  84. Oct 6, 2011
    To all those whiners: How can und play and review a PC game that has not yet been released???

The game will unlock on Steam October 7th. So you actually haven´t played it or you´re all thieves.
  85. Oct 6, 2011
    Being one of the lucky few who experienced no technical issues with the game, I can say that I've thoroughly enjoyed Rage. Story and dialog are mediocre, but that's par for the course with id. Graphically, the level of detail is staggering. The megatexturing gives the city scenes and wide vistas a realistic level of detail with none of the immersion-breaking repeating texture artifacts youBeing one of the lucky few who experienced no technical issues with the game, I can say that I've thoroughly enjoyed Rage. Story and dialog are mediocre, but that's par for the course with id. Graphically, the level of detail is staggering. The megatexturing gives the city scenes and wide vistas a realistic level of detail with none of the immersion-breaking repeating texture artifacts you see in most games, and the character animations and texture details are excellent. Gameplay is not revolutionary, but it is solid and well polished, both in terms of shooting and driving. Expand
  86. Oct 8, 2011
    First impressions when entering the world of Rage are very positive. The amount of detail that went into the scenery and textures is impressive. When you first start looking around at the finer details of the world one can only wonder how many hours they took making every object look gorgeous. And by gorgeous I mean completely trashed, dirty and broken looking. The character models areFirst impressions when entering the world of Rage are very positive. The amount of detail that went into the scenery and textures is impressive. When you first start looking around at the finer details of the world one can only wonder how many hours they took making every object look gorgeous. And by gorgeous I mean completely trashed, dirty and broken looking. The character models are another high point of Rage. Each character is uniquely detailed with trinkets, tattoos and clothing that give them an original personae. The voice acting and mission briefings are clear and concise as to give the player a direction in the game. The key is talking to everybody. Side quests often open up new possibilities in the game and although Rage is a first-person shooter, the role playing elements add to the charm of this game.

The vehicle combat reminds me of playing Interstate â
  87. Oct 7, 2011
    Besides the general gameplay problems, there are serious glitches with the weapons in this game. The first time i got the sniper rifle, I wasted all of my ammo trying to hit one guy, AND NEVER HIT HIM, though my crosshairs were on him every time. Then, randomly, I fire and it kills a guy instantly. Then, of course, I can't hit the next guy with 4 bullets and the crosshairs across hisBesides the general gameplay problems, there are serious glitches with the weapons in this game. The first time i got the sniper rifle, I wasted all of my ammo trying to hit one guy, AND NEVER HIT HIM, though my crosshairs were on him every time. Then, randomly, I fire and it kills a guy instantly. Then, of course, I can't hit the next guy with 4 bullets and the crosshairs across his noggin. I just refuse to play this and waste my time. Expand
  88. Oct 7, 2011
    10/10. This is the best shooter I've played in a long long time. I have never had this much pure fun factor since the 90's shooters. Don't let people in here that are too stupid to get it working right ruin a chance at enjoy this game. Did it have driver issues? Yep. Will it be fixed? Yep. Still, the game itself is GOTY this year unless Skyrim knocks it down. No more generic CoD / BF games here.
  89. Oct 7, 2011
    This is a GREAT game. An amazing engine that gives you rock solid 60fps. If you actually play this game you would agree that it is a definite contender for game of the year. The recommended specs should be NVIDIA 400 and 500 series cards only. If you own an ATI card you should buy an NVIDIA card, and thank me later because all of your games will run better.

Also, if you don't know how to

Also, if you don't know how to get this game running smoothly then you should probably just play on the console anyways. Real PC gamers know how their systems work and how to tweak things under the hood.
  90. Oct 8, 2011
    this game is so poorly developed that makes me wanna punch my computer screen in RAGE!!!! first of all the graphics are so overrated, they look like a 5 year ild game, wait, they look like a 7 year old game, its just so unexcusable. All of the media hype about the new engine was **** Save your money, trust me.
  91. Oct 8, 2011
    A spectacular failure. The game is saddled with an engine that looks great out doors but turns into a pixelated blurry mess when in doors, with textures quality so low that I haven't seen the like of them since that late 90s. Great game if never walk out of your car. Horrific blurry nightmare if you do.
  92. Oct 8, 2011
    I can attest to this game having some issues with some PC configurations. I myself had some problems with the texture pop-in and some framerate issues when entering vehicles. But this game is for dedicated PC users, those who are not afraid to change settings from a configuration file and relaunch the game a couple of times to try out the optimal config. The game itself is beautiful on aI can attest to this game having some issues with some PC configurations. I myself had some problems with the texture pop-in and some framerate issues when entering vehicles. But this game is for dedicated PC users, those who are not afraid to change settings from a configuration file and relaunch the game a couple of times to try out the optimal config. The game itself is beautiful on a high end PC, and id have nailed the combat yet again. All these reviews below 5 haven't played the game past the intro sequence and have not given it a chance to offer up its best side. Is it a stellar game? No, not genre defining as we were expecting. But it is a solid shooter with great graphics and excellent core mechanics. Expand
  93. Oct 8, 2011
    Hello, i never listen to the opinium off other people... so here is my Strong Opinium,
    Best grapics ever 'nojoke', everything runs very smooth +60 fps for sure as always id make fast compatible engines..even a friends low spec laptop could play it at 35 fps for sure.

battlefield 3, is way worse looking as this'it looked ugly afther i played this game', this is the best engine that's out right now 'and there still updating the engine yet.', and look even better then the witcher 2, in fact it's looking better then witcher 2 and is x3 times faster engine'then witcher', i can't wait for the new drivers, and custom setting patch, and performance patches, also a real shooter doesn't need a story.. like doom had a story.. it must we Shooting, very good and fun! So ID i new i din't let me down, ....Also id software don't copy a succes formula for getting more sales , they are experimenting with there games and take a gamble with it, it's a good move there... and also they say, short game and when it gets good it ends.. indeed but u must now there alreadt DLC's in progress... I give this game a 9 for sure... -1 point Because, there is no 4 player co-op, and only 7 missions' rolf it must be like 60 missions,' in a Big world with quest. :p rolf sorry:p
    but indeed this is not borderlands, nor fallout, so if u want a big game look somewhere else..
    i am sure that they will make a expansion'or DLC and i can't wait to play it. Keep up up good Work ID software !!!!!! and don't listen to this other reviewers....they don't know what they are speaking.... maybe there computers are full of virussus, or bad hardware.., also i can play this game, and battlefield 3 at the same time.. and alt tab, and switch, i also talk mesenger and stuff, and i still is turned on. normaly;
  94. Oct 9, 2011
    I love this game, an improbable picture, fascinating battles and many other things. And who isn't happy with that, I recommend to buy such games, instead of to download them with torents, and after that to complain of glitches. More shortly, it is one of the best shooters on PC for me. All good luck and pleasant game :)
  95. Oct 9, 2011
    After spending a fair amount of time with configuration files and creating cache folders for RAGE I ended up with a game that runs more smoothly than any other I have had on my PC with a stunning visual style that deserves great praise to be heaped upon the art team at ID.
    So, the textures are a bit blurry at times, especially close up. That's to be expected with a cross-platform title like this. It's the sheer amount of detail in every part of the environs and the staggering variety that lifts this game visually head and shoulders above anything seen before. No two areas a the same and I struggled to notice any repeat textures used in most games to cover large areas. The devil is certainly in the details here because the world comes to life on the screen.
    This is all helped by some of the best sound quality I have ever heard. 5.1 surround sound is a minimum requirement in my humble opinion if you want to get the best from this game's solid audio. The voice acting is also of a very good quality, but possibly not the best I have heard.
    The writing is okay, but nothing mind blowing. It tells a good story without too many frills.
    The gameplay mechanics are solid and fun, which, at the end of the day, is what a game should be. The racing is frantic and visually breathtaking with the epic surroundings flying by at breakneck speeds and still making you feel in total control of your vehicle.
    The A.I. Isn't the best but there is some variety, no-matter what some people say. The mutants basically run at you but the bandits leap about trying to get in close for a personal kill. Other enemies use the arsenal at their disposal to great effect and draw you out of a hiding spot with a well thrown grenade whilst others may well blow themselves to smithereens with a stupid fumble. Personally I think it's all part of the fun.
    Yes, RAGE had some major technical problems on release but they were mainly driver issues and a distinct lack of graphical options, which has now been largely rectified by a patch.
    There is so much bitterness on the Internet about the issues and some truly over the top reactions by people who really ought to get some anger management classes that I have to add that if you have patience, update the game (and perhaps use your own configuration files) and forget about this ridiculous "perfect game" expecationitis illness that many people seem to have you will have an absolute blast. It's also a rather sizeable game for a shooter which adds value for money compared to other 5 hour shooter.
    RAGE is a solid shooter and fun racer all in one - once you get it running correctly.
  96. Oct 9, 2011
    I am amazed at this game, it is beautiful to look at, the sounds are epic, voice acting good and believable, though let down by a poor story and short campaign and the well reported graphic driver issues.
    However i must have been the lucky one as ive had no graphical issues at all, the game has been smooth and without errors throughout.
    Hopefully some DLC soon :) Graphics = 10
    Hopefully some DLC soon :)

Graphics = 10 some of the most believeable and expression full NPC chars ive seen.
    Sound = 8 Music is a bit "Full On" at times, though builds tension nicely for the many pant filling set-pieces
    Gameplay = 8 Too short and story doesnt really go anywhere until a very abrupt ending, with no options to conitnue post end sequence.
    Value = 8 15 hours it took me to complete, work the price out :)
  97. Oct 10, 2011
    Smooth, nice graphic, good shooting and racing sensations,good sound effects and great characters. It's a fun game, and giving it a zero note just because of a few bad textures and some bugs is not very clever.
  98. Oct 9, 2011
    Totally don't agree there ! On my pc the game look very good (and i'm a video game artist). The engine is fast 60 fps everytime. The steam patch of this morning is the saviour !

Thanks ID ! The ghost town and authority cell are just Id style ! I'm loving it !

I'm really waitting for the HD texture pack ! This while bring 1 point more from 9 to 10 by my side.
  99. Oct 9, 2011
    Overall, rage is a great game. I was not unhappy with the product, but I knew what I was getting when I pre-ordered it: FPS and Racing. Rage is NOT an RPG, so stop comparing the story to Fall Out. Yes, names like 'the authority' and 'the resistance' are cringe-worthy, but who honestly cares what they're called. Who cares if the story is linear IN AN FPS, the world is still open and you canOverall, rage is a great game. I was not unhappy with the product, but I knew what I was getting when I pre-ordered it: FPS and Racing. Rage is NOT an RPG, so stop comparing the story to Fall Out. Yes, names like 'the authority' and 'the resistance' are cringe-worthy, but who honestly cares what they're called. Who cares if the story is linear IN AN FPS, the world is still open and you can solve missions as you please.

Honestly, most reviewers fail to mention the main draw to Rage: ATTENTION TO DETAIL FOR THE THINGS THAT COUNT. Sound, Models, Animation, and Environments are all incredibly detailed and well done. Yes, the interface in some of the mini-game dialogs was obviously designed for consoles and they didn't add in good mouse support. The voice acting is good, even if the dialog is plain / predictable like the story. I guess they could have gone the extra mile and hired a better writer for the dialog and main story, but I'm only marking off a little for the weaker points. I've been a PC gamer since 1994; I don't understand all the PC Gamer hate. I guess they feel abandoned by one of the last great PC game makers.
  100. Oct 10, 2011
    Looks sick and runs great on a 560 GTX. Had no problems with installation and getting it to run out of the box. Except the fact that I had to have an internet connection hooked up to steam, blah. Guns feels good and the artwork is amazing. 4 hours into the game and I can't wait to play more and find out more clues about whats going on. I wish I could tweak the texture res because I know myLooks sick and runs great on a 560 GTX. Had no problems with installation and getting it to run out of the box. Except the fact that I had to have an internet connection hooked up to steam, blah. Guns feels good and the artwork is amazing. 4 hours into the game and I can't wait to play more and find out more clues about whats going on. I wish I could tweak the texture res because I know my PC can do better. Lastly, I am convinced the Art Directors of Borderlands and Rage are brothers. Expand

1. PC Games (Russia)
    Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 15, 2011
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. CD-Action
    Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]