6.4

1. Nov 26, 2011
    I'm not sure how you can rate a game a 0 just because it has over $1000 of DLC. Most games, or simulators of this type have lots of content made by 3rd parties. Just look at all the content for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This actually makes the game more interesting because you can add what you want and keeps the replay value high. That being said I think the game should be rated onI'm not sure how you can rate a game a 0 just because it has over $1000 of DLC. Most games, or simulators of this type have lots of content made by 3rd parties. Just look at all the content for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This actually makes the game more interesting because you can add what you want and keeps the replay value high. That being said I think the game should be rated on it's merits. This game does exactly what it says. If your interested in driving a train through beautiful landscapes and challenging environments, then this game is for you. If you have no interest in driving a train, don't buy it. It is definately made for a select niche of simulator fans. And for these fans it's an awesome simulator. Make sure you have the machine to run it though. Expand
  2. Dec 23, 2011
    I like simulators and the better they are, the more I like them. The whole idea of a sim is to engross yourself into something you could not otherwise do maybe due to cost, or because you've retired etc. This sim includes wonderful detail and drive-ability and I like to get completely lost in it after a stressful day at work. The only shortcoming is the hooter sound on some loco's.I like simulators and the better they are, the more I like them. The whole idea of a sim is to engross yourself into something you could not otherwise do maybe due to cost, or because you've retired etc. This sim includes wonderful detail and drive-ability and I like to get completely lost in it after a stressful day at work. The only shortcoming is the hooter sound on some loco's. Considering how fantastic the diesel engines sound and their power, some of the hooters are embarrassing! Obviously electronic synth. I don't believe this is my PC since the engine, doors, ambient sounds etc are all really good. Can we please have a free sound upgrade??
    Fantastic sim tho!!!
  3. Feb 9, 2012
    Brilliant game with a lot of depth and a lot of fun to play. I am not a train maniac, trainspotter, or anything like that, just a regular gamer looking for a good game. This one definitely is a good game, great even. I would have never expected that driving a train is so much fun. This sim gives you really good mechanics, (easy to learn but difficult to master), and hundreds of trains andBrilliant game with a lot of depth and a lot of fun to play. I am not a train maniac, trainspotter, or anything like that, just a regular gamer looking for a good game. This one definitely is a good game, great even. I would have never expected that driving a train is so much fun. This sim gives you really good mechanics, (easy to learn but difficult to master), and hundreds of trains and routes (with DLCs and fan content). What I don't like about it is a game engine, which is dated and not very smooth, even on decent machines (Core i7, 6GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5560). Also DLCs pricing is quite hard on your pocket, on the other hand you can get a lot of fan made content for free. Overall - A great game with hundreds of hours of gameplay and minor bugs. For everyone who enjoys gaming not for train lovers only. Expand
  4. Sep 29, 2011
    Having been a railfan and model railroader for some 50 years, this game is a dream come true! The sounds are quite authentic and the speeds and train responses have no other game comparison. Are there problems? Of course. To mention a few: some switches don't work, some locomotives cannot be activated, some PRR paint schemes are not authentic for the time period. What would I like to see?Having been a railfan and model railroader for some 50 years, this game is a dream come true! The sounds are quite authentic and the speeds and train responses have no other game comparison. Are there problems? Of course. To mention a few: some switches don't work, some locomotives cannot be activated, some PRR paint schemes are not authentic for the time period. What would I like to see? Some steam engines such as J1s and K4s - snow in winter time (as seen on the UK Somerset & Dorset - fog in the mountains - and more passenger and freight rolling stock. Still the game is a blast.
    By the way, I've ridden on trains in this area and during the time period represented many times.
  5. Feb 2, 2012
    "The concept may seem boring but believe me it's a hoot and a half"

Red the full review http://www.insidepcgaming.com/review-scores/games/railworks-3-train-simulator-2012
  6. Dec 25, 2011
    Bought Railworks 3 a few weeks ago and playing the games are very good. I've been very unlucky building my own route, because I've had problems putting trains on the track, game freezes, had to reinstall and lost my unfinished routes. Once Railworks can sort out these problems in route building then I'm sure it will be better.
  7. Jan 12, 2012
    In a nutshell, Railworks 3 is the best in its genre by a long long way. The scope of this simulation is massive, as is shown by the huge quantity of DLC available on Steam. There are a core selection of routes and trains to appeal to a broad spectrum of rail enthusiasts and the regular Steam sales mean that DLC can often be picked up at a discount price.

If you are not into driving

If you are not into driving trains then this sim will not be for you; I would imagine there are many people who will not get it and shake their head in disbelief that such a title would even exist. I would respectfully say to stay away and let those of us who are into rail simming to enjoy it without the negative comments.

The recent scenarios have been more inventive and show a definite progression in quality. Horsehoe Curve route in the deluxe edition raises the quality bar with stunning scenery and cinematic scenarios which include a credible storyline. The cheap DLC Trains vs Zombies is another recent highlight which shows that the developers have a sense of humour and do not take themselves too seriously.

There are some bugs, but because the sim is so vast I think they are forgivable. Also, there are frequent Steam updates whenever there are major issues.

If this was just a sim I would give it a 7/10 but what pushes Railworks from good to great, hence my 9/10 score is the toolkit which forms part of the package. Although there is a learning curve, the tools to build your own routes and scenarios are surprisingly powerful and the sense of satisfaction of creating your own content is amazing. There is a thriving online community where FREE routes and scenarios are widely available, some of which rival the available payware.

I have spent hundreds of hours playing Railworks and based on that I think the value for money is phenomenal.
  8. Jan 23, 2012
    It's a very fun game for regular gamers and train-lovers alike. Gameplay is very immersive and innovative. Railworks 3 : Train Simulator 2012 is off the rails entertainment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WXQL_pJc2I&feature=related
  9. Feb 12, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant Sim. graphics & FPS awesome no problems playing and the downloads from railsim are very easy although a little expensive for what you get. Downloaded the Oxford-Paddington mail express as i used to work for Royal Mail, truly realistic even to the york containers within the train. One critique if any is that the weather cannot be formulated for our individual tastes,Absolutely brilliant Sim. graphics & FPS awesome no problems playing and the downloads from railsim are very easy although a little expensive for what you get. Downloaded the Oxford-Paddington mail express as i used to work for Royal Mail, truly realistic even to the york containers within the train. One critique if any is that the weather cannot be formulated for our individual tastes, even if on the scenarios it was a random choice so as a different aspect each time could be achieved. I'm sure i shall be playing for many, many hours. Expand
  10. Jul 21, 2012
    Hello,
    Hello,
    I just want to say a little about the game and why i didn't rate it 10. The only reason is because its hard when your first beginning. Later on the game gets fun! For the 3 bucks i bought it for i would rate it worth it any day. But the only other thing i don't like is all the Dlc. If you bought them all 50% of they still cost 1000$. But i can't say anything else bad because altogether its the best simulation game i've ever played.!! Thanks for read my review i hope its helpful and not bias. John
  11. Dec 23, 2011
    Fantastic sim tho!!!

1. Jan 16, 2012
    A great way to try your hand at driving a train. Unfortunately, load times are long and DLCs all cost extra, but optional simplified controls and a great look with many details and weather effects make this a good game. If you like trains, but can't or won't go for a miniature train, this simulation is for you.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    Too similar to RailWorks 2 to be a sequel, and with little fresh content, but the series is chugging along in the right direction.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Train Simulator 2012 is good at what it does but unfortunately that will appeal to a very narrow audience. Diehard train enthusiasts will love the incredible details and depth of gameplay but it will be lost on everyone else. Hardcore hobbyists need only apply.