- Publisher: The Role Playing Company
- Release Date: Jul 29, 2013
Aug 19, 2013Issues - this is the keyword that helps understand this game. Treat this as a fair warning against all that you can find in Realms of Arcania: Blade of Destiny HD. The original game (without the "HD") is a much more enjoyable product. Don't buy this horrendous conversion, but simply find the predecessor. Blade of Destiny AD 1992 is a hard and coarse game with issues, but at least it gives the impression that the developers knew what they were doing.
Aug 15, 2013In defence of Crafty Studios, they have been proactive in patching, but Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny seems a long way off of being playable quite yet. Save your nostalgia, start learning the German language, and pray to Cromm that things turn around quickly.
Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 49 Ratings
Jul 30, 2013This has the makings of a basic fantasy RPG, but the game that was released today (July 30, 2013) is unplayable, boring, and not even to beta level. Who knows what the game might be like if they keep developing it, but there are hundreds and hundreds of programmer hours between where it is now and where it would be worthwhile to try.
It was not marked as an alpha "become our bug tester" pre-release, it was sold to me as a fully functional game. If the game stayed the same as it is now and the bugs were fixed (it is essentially unplayable with the current level of bugs), I would give it a 2. It's quite terrible and I'm very tolerant of bad RPGs.
Examples of problems:
1) no instructions, non-intuitive interface
2) many words not translated from German, weird mix of languages on the interface
3) lots of modal dialogs that sit on top of each other and lock the game up, "ESC" does not exit from dialogs.
4) if you can actually get yourself into a combat, the mechanics are absurdly tedious and 3 of the 4 combats we waded through ended with us just having to quit the game. saves are not allowed during combat, so that's 30 minutes of time to ploddingly, painstakingly getting through an ugly combat to discover that it meant nothing and one has to restart at the last save. We did get one combat to complete and it was totally unsatisfying.
5) Terrible voice acting. Single male voice reading all the dialogs. I assume it's one of the dev team or their friends.
6) Nearly all the images for inside buildings are identical.
On the plus side, there are some pretty graphics. Check back on this one in 4-10 weeks.… Full Review »
Jul 31, 2013not playable. not much to say about it. prealpha game.
I always break my word on no preorder rule! what is wrong with me:(
I give chance to every turn based game out there, and I cant stay hyped with a new one comes out. But I never expected steam would allow such a low quality game on sale. At least I ll be not preordering any game from steam for some time hopefully longer this time.… Full Review »
Jul 31, 2013I love this genre and I very, very rarely score games this low. I can only think of maybe 10 games in my 25 years of gaming that were this bad compared with what else is available eg. Shadowrun Returns. This game is fully as bad as other users reported. Unfinished (I mean really, very unfinished), incomprehensible, boring, badly presented sound and graphics. No quests that I could find, no direction and all I did for hours was walk from place to place. When I finally got a random encounter, a robber did 99 points of damage to me (of 38). What is that? Evisceration combined with decapitation? No entertainment value at all, unless you consider Worst. RPG. Ever. as worthy of a cult following. 2 points for having dwarves in it. -1 point for the dwarves being scrawny, runty humans.… Full Review »