8.7

1. Sep 11, 2010
    It's been a while since a game has grabbed my attention like Reccettear. I'm having so much fun playing this game it's hard to really describe. Let me go into a pros and cons for my review though to keep things simple. Pros:
    - Great focus on the core aspects of the RPG experience: earning money, collecting loot, levelling up. Extremely well executed and integrated with each other.
    - Really
    polished presentation, great translation on the part of the publisher Carpe Fulgar.
    - Fun story, great characters.
    - TONS of replayability as the dungeons are randomly generated, tons of different heroes, lots of items to collect. - Managing your item shop is way more fun than I expected. Cons:
    - Resolution is limited, best to play in windowed mode.

Highly Recommend!!!
  2. Jul 23, 2012
    This game is surprisingly good. I picked it up during the steam sales not expecting much for ~$4.50. So far I have sunk 35 hours into it and plan on playing a lot more. The game has a very charming atmosphere, the dialog is great the translation is very good, the graphics are nostalgic and remind me a lot of Harvest Moon. The gameplay is versatile and fun. On the one hand you have the great economy-style in terms of running your shop, haggling prices, keeping an eye on Booms and pricerises/drops. On the other hand you have the random generated dungeons you can clear with unique bosses, loot and best of all: tons of adventurers you meet during the game that you can SELL stuff to that they will actually wear in the dungeons. There is plenty of stuff to see and do, not do you just sell and buy stuff but you constantly discover upgrades for items, the shop and your adventurers. As you progress a nice story unfolds and the difficulty is perfect. If you fail to meet the deadline for paying debt the game does a perfect job for those and let's them restart with a boost by keeping items/levels and adventurerlevel+gear.

The crafting system drives you into the dungeons to get even better items than any shop can sell you. After you "finished" the mail story line the game is far from over, new modes are unlocked and you can carry over your old stuff to new challenges (like survival mode).

The game is simply great, the best game I got to play in 2012.
  3. Oct 11, 2010
    Very fun indie game. Simple and common gameplay mechanics (used in many japanese games, i.e. Princess Maker) makes the game even better. Nice and beautiful visuals, cute characters, lots of stuff to buy and sell. Some parts may feel a little repetitive, but it doesn't hurt good atmosphere. Btw, the game is bigger than it looks. So... Capitalism, ho!
  4. Sep 11, 2010
    I bought this game out of hope for a fresh and intriguing new take on the rpg genre considering it is based on an item shop. I was not disappointed at all. First thing I can say about this game is that is clean and simple with controls and gameplay that is easy to understand and learn quickly. The simple but robust gameplay is not the star, however, it is the straightforward yet addicting story line of a young girl who must open an item shop in order to pay off her father's debts to a finance agency. In order to to do so you must mix both the buy low sell high strategy with the in town marketing centers and hire adventurer's and train them/lead them through dungeons and lairs to find loot and treasure to sell in the shop. It is truly an addicting game in the sense that it keeps you wanting to just sell one more item, go dungeon raiding one more time so you can meet the reachable yet challenging goals set forth by the loan agency. Now, as for the graphics, they are very clean and fun with great character designs and, let's admit it, quite the cute roster of characters and world that they inhabit...not toooooooooooo cute though. The interplay between the main characters and the citizens if the town is great, with the fantastically mundane (chatting about the stars) to getting with fights with...interesting...strangers in town. I definitely recommend this game to whomever wishes for an interesting and unique twist on a rpg that includes a great amount of humor and addicting gameplay. Expand
  5. Mar 30, 2011
    I wasn't expecting much from this game, and it blew me away. Sure the pixellated graphics could be better, they're very cute but not refined, and lack of animation. Yet, this game is MUCH deeper than it looks, and it's huge, in fact, the game is bigger after the game "ends" (but I won't spoil the story).
    How to describe this game, it's similar to Harvest Moon, except that you harvest
    treasures in dungeons. And you own a shop. What could be just a strategy game doesn't really shine through its story, but through its characters. Each of them has a sould, and a role that isn't necessarily obvious when the game starts. Of course, you've got to love cute anime stuff in general, that's a requirement to play this game. So I've been disappointed by a lot of blockbuster games, while this "little" game appeared to be amazing. Really expecting Recettear 2 with a bigger budget. Expand
  6. Feb 11, 2012
    I had no idea what to expect when I first got this game, other than that my friend told me it was about running a shop. That didn't exactly sell it high, but it was in a pack for $5 so I went for it. Much to my surprise, it was one of the most addicting games I've played. Quite literally I could not put it down, even after I had beaten it. Somehow it manages to get you caught up in the story with great dialogue and well executed gameplay. The only thing I didn't like was the dungeon feature, which seemed out of place in the game and wasn't up to the standard of everything else around it. However, it is entirely optional and easy to ignore with no consequences for doing so, so it isn't a problem at all. Fantastic game overall. Expand
  7. Sep 11, 2010
    I started playing the game yesterday evening and now I'm already at 18 hours. After finishing the debt part starts the Endless game part, in which you slowly start discovering the other adventurers and thanks to Arma's story, you learn the fate of your own father.
    To be frank I was extremely sceptical at first. I played the demo but it left me neutral. But when the full game started
    unveiling itself, part after part, I started being more and more addicted to it, to the point that I started doing everything, completing everything to the max (merchant level 99, charme level 99 and bilions of pix). And I have yet to finish the story.
    Maybe objectively this is not a masterpiece, but it doesn't matter. It's so ridiculously addicting and rewarding that It's a pleasure to play. Something I will probably keep playing for long time, even after finishing the story (which seems ridiculously big).
    Really an amazing game. Congrats to the developing team and to the translators (even though they distorted the translation a little bit, matching it to the /b/ way of speaking).
  8. Sep 12, 2010
    I had no idea what I was in for when I read the description to this game but after playing 5 minutes I knew I was on to a winner. An absolute bargain for $20 bucks. Extremely replayable and very very addictive. A must have in your collection.
  9. Sep 17, 2010
    The simplistic graphics and presentation hide the brutal addictiveness of this (cute) beast. The marriage of a casual merchant sim with a Rogue-like dungeon crawler plus humourous Disgaea-like cutscenes would've netted a 9/10 alone, but the translations... OMG the translations...

-PERFECT 10-
  10. Nov 12, 2010
    Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale is an unexpectedly fun and challenging game with both RPG and store management features. definitely a good buy and a great game.
  11. Mar 27, 2013
    Simply wonderful! Recettear is one of the most fantastic and original RPGs I've played in the past few years. Classic graphics and game-play with a different spin of the main character being an new item shop owner trying to pay off a debt, instead of an adventurer. The game is split off into two sections, store management where you sell items at the right times for the price that will get you the most profit. It wonderfully works in the concept of supply and demand as you get actual news on market updates sometimes more than once a day on what item prices are up and what ones are down. Along with the store management is going to the market or merchant's guild to buy items to sell in your store, or to help with dungeon crawling.
    The second part is the dungeon crawling. On the days you need a large boost to your store inventory or ingredients for crafting, you can hire an adventurer from the adventurer's guild to go to a dungeon with you. This is where you will control the adventurer as your main character follows behind. Using the adventurer you will fight off enemies, picking up items that some drop and opening chests to usually get items/treasures. The good part about dungeon crawling is that you get items that you can sell for 100% profit, minus the fee to hire the adventurer. Lastly on the dungeon stuff, the adventurer you hire will level up through the process of killing enemies, like any RPG, which is a good thing because they will be stronger and you can later move on to bigger and better dungeons, but it is also a slight hindrance as well, because the stronger and more experienced an adventurer becomes, the more it will cost to hire him or her. As the game progresses through the story, you will be able to hire different kinds of adventurers. I'm giving this game a 10 because it is a solid RPG, with a fun and whimsical story, that has familiar game-play while still feeling quite original. I've played many RPGs in my day and I can say I've never before played a game like Recettear. The people that rate it real low because of a lot of dialogue have clearly never played a classic RPG, or they have been spoiled by playing too many fully voiced RPGs.

One of the other reviews says says that the store management isn't complex enough to be compelling for more than 4-5 hours, the problem with saying that is that it shows that they didn't play very long, because I've played 16 hours and I'm still getting new facets and challenges to running the store. The game doesn't give you all the ways to run your store right off, it treats those like any abilities learned in an RPG. As you get more experienced at running your shop and level up as a merchant, you gain more things that you can do, like decorating your store and new ways to sell things to your customers.

Finally, I would add that just because it doesn't have the latest newfangled sparkling graphics and gimmicky interface, doesn't mean that it isn't an original title. The story and store management along side the classic game play is what makes the game original. The art and graphics(classic around PS2 era JRPG type) are solid, fitting the style of the game and the story.

It isn't hard for this game to shine with with all the samey RPG drivel that tends to be heralded as special and wonderful(usually only because of the graphics). I highly recommend this game to any gamer that is properly familiar with and loves RPGs.
  12. Jun 8, 2011
    A wonderfully addictive and inventive little commerce simulator with an entertaining RPG element. While it is very simplistic, the innovation and ideas created a very fun game for people who would enjoy bartering constantly to progress through the game. For those expecting another JRPG, there are better elsewhere, but for a unique economy simulator mixed with an RPG, this is great.
  13. Aug 6, 2011
    Best game I've ever play in PC, a handheld styled rpg mixed with item shop selling is getting you hooked in this game. Hope more JRPG indie titles will come to western territories. This is the only game outside from Nintendo border that can also a Perfect Game for everyone
  14. Jun 21, 2011
    I found the game more than fun enough to do 2 New Game + runs back-to-back. Plus the overall story, and the localisation in particular, is absolutely brilliant.
  15. Mar 7, 2012
    **Positives**: Very unique. If there's another game out there like this, I haven't heard of it. (+3)
    The market system works very well, you buy and sell for a little profit, slowly working your way up (+3)
    The game advances at a sensible pace, upgrading the list of items every few levels, so you're never without new items to make a profit on (+3).
    There are few buttons that need to be
    pressed, making it easy to pick up and play (+2).
    The characters are, for the most part, lovable (+2).
    The item design, prices, and most importantly, in-jokes that come with them, are top-notch (+2).
    Bosses are all well-designed, and almost all have a tactic beyond "slash and run", and area always a challenge, without being excruciating (+3).
    I'd love to go on, but it's getting too long already.
    **Neutral**: They've translated "mataku" (which usually means "geez" or a verbal *facepalm*) as "merde", which just doesn't feel right, but isn't bad enough to deduct points.
    **Negative**: Euria. A girl who always breaks your chain of gaining experience from selling items. Once "unlocked", she visits your store, selling goods to you at very inflated prices. This is a death knell if you encounter her early enough (-1). FUN FACT: Euria sounds like 'urea', the waste part of urine! Sounds pretty apt!
    Constantly levelling up in dungeons makes dungeoneering very easy for the first few levels, and very annoying in the later stages, where you are about to fight a boss, but want to level up first (to get full health). (-1).
    It can be said that the markets fluctuate TOO much, if you buy a somewhat expensive item at low price, and sell it when it's high price, you make a much higher profit than you should, making the game fairly easy if you're lucky enough. (-1).
    **TOTAL**: 18-3=15. Recettear is one of my all-time favourite games, and is perfect in almost every way, with some VERY minor exceptions. Worth the unusually high price tag, and MORE!
  16. Oct 1, 2012
    Very nice and relatively well-executed game concept. The adventure section lacked certain characteristics to really make Recettear really stand out but as a whole, the gameplay is solid, fun, and addictive.
  17. May 22, 2014
    While this is a low budget game without great graphics, I've had a ton of fun with it and would definitely recommend it. I got it as part of a bundle, and it basically cost me less than a dollar, which is a steal for this game! The graphics have character and are good enough to get the job done. The game is full of personality, humor, and cuteness (but not overbearing like some games I've come across). It's a lot of fun. It's kind of a cross between Animal Crossing and Diablo with item sales tossed in there. If you can find it at a good price, you should definitely pick it up. I've spent a couple hours a night the last few nights playing it, and it's a lot of fun! Expand
  18. Jul 30, 2013
    Very fun, needs a little bit of work in the combat to make it fit in more with the rest of the game but other than that it is one of the best indie game I've played this year.
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    Recettear has a great amount of gameplay for what I paid. 20 dollars for this game is not exactly a good price but translating Japanese can be difficult but there are people who translate things like this for free. Then when I think of the depth of this game and how each NPC has different tastes and preferences how they all act differently and each is unique in their own way it really brings the game to life making it worth that 20 dollars. Anyways moving on this game was pretty well done and very surprising. I enjoyed it a lot.

Story is fairly unbelievable. A little girls father who has disappeared leaves his daughter with a huge crippling debt. She's only 10 (I am guessing?) how is she spose to repay his debt? Why the fairy Tear tells her to make a store so she can pay it back. The lil loli Recette gets help and turns her house into a store. While the story was fairly unbelievable and lacking there isn't much to do but if you do the RPG dungeon part more stories unfold and builds up more character for Recette and Tear and the Adventurers.

Characters in the game have a huge impact. Everyone is unique and different and the events that happen make them rememberable enough. The more you unlock the more events that will happen interacting with all the characters all together. It gives incentive to do the dungeon part of the game to unlock more of these characters with their corky bits and pieces.

Visuals and Graphics. It's 8-Bit and it's Indie. What more can I expect for a game with this much depth? Not great but monster bit-maps were great. The art for the NPC Background pictures were great notch. Overall I'd have to say it's well done but I still knida wished for a 720p version or something.

The challenge the game presents is up to how smart your are and if you can pull it off. Me? I feel I'm pretty smart although I don't want to boast about it but I can say that some of my other friends can't even get past the 2nd week. So it's defiantly up to your own skills to be able to make this game and easy or an impossible experience.

There are two different types of gameplay here. Running the Store and the Dungeon Crawling. Running your store was great but a challenge. Everyone has a different budget and you have to learn that by personality and age. The little girl is well in fact a little girl so she doesn't have much money. Louie is poor but the more adventuring you do with him the more money he gets and if you sell to him cheap he starts to get a bigger and better budget. It's so crazy and complex that each character in the game has specific things and goals and all this other crap that it's difficult to explain! Combat was simplistic but each Adventurer has their pros and cons and a different playstyle required. Not much to talk about here but it knida reminded me of Final Fantasy without the turn base thing.

Would I recommend this game? Defiantly. It's a must buy. If 20 dollars is too much for your wallet though you'll have to wait for a Steam Sale or something. I don't see it move from that price much at all.
  20. Sep 22, 2013
    Recettear is a surprisingly fun game about a girl that is in debt. While it can get repetitive, there is a lot of replay value. This is definitely a great game to buy if you love RPGs.
  21. Nov 20, 2013
    I wasn't sure about this game when I bought it. I figured there was a reasonable chance it would end up on my "wasted money Steam purchases" basket. Only a few days later, when I bothered to check it out, this game became one hell of a pleasant surprise.

Recettear is a weird mix of simulation, hack & slash and role-playing, with the cute japanese kind of graphics and animations that I
    really love. You play Recette, the cute and naive item-shop seller girl, who's teamed up with Tear, the fairy, who at first seems like the tough business...fairy(?) personality, but already a few hours into the game, I'm getting the feeling she has a totally different agenda than the one she's letting out.

As Recette, you need to manage your items shop and make money, so you can pay a debt to Tear's agency (whatever it is), so they wouldn't take your house. In addition to buying and selling routine, you can also hire adventurers and go to dungeons. In return for your payment to the adventurer, you get to keep the items you find in the dungeon, and sell them with nearly 100% profit.

All in all, this game is a lot of fun, definitely worth its price, in my humble opinion.
  22. Mar 7, 2012
    There are few buttons that need to be
    pressed, making it easy to pick up and play (+2).
    The characters are, for the most part, lovable (+2).
    I'd love to go on, but it's getting too long already.

Although technically very outdated and quite repetitive game but still very funny and pretty original. [Issue#201]
  2. Jan 27, 2011
    Recettear is perhaps one of the most unusual examples of a simulation game yet; with its engaging storyline, large ensemble of characters and action-RPG sequences, this is a game that really stands out from the crowd.
  3. Dec 26, 2010
    One of Steam's best kept secrets and a cracking indie title that both pokes fun at and celebrates the charming absurdity of role-playing games.