Red Faction: Armageddon PC

6.7

1. Sep 25, 2012
    I haven't played Red Faction since the original. This is an "ok" third person shooter. The destructible environment doesn't lend well to frames per second. But at 2560x1440 with everything maxed and 2xAA The game looks pretty good. Only buy this game if it is on sale for $10 don't pay any more.
  2. Jun 18, 2011
    Looks like Red Faction but doesn't always feel like Red Faction. The only really innovative thing Armageddon adds to the series are the perks you get through redeeming salvage. At first I was put off by the 3rd person perspective but I got used to it quick. The aliens are really pretty cliche (there's even a really lame romance) but I guess Red Faction did need a change of pace. I mean,Looks like Red Faction but doesn't always feel like Red Faction. The only really innovative thing Armageddon adds to the series are the perks you get through redeeming salvage. At first I was put off by the 3rd person perspective but I got used to it quick. The aliens are really pretty cliche (there's even a really lame romance) but I guess Red Faction did need a change of pace. I mean, how many revolutions can Mars handle? The story seemed like a good idea but this is where it stopped feeling like Red Faction at times. I really wish it explicitly explained where the bugs came from. You get their background through audio recording clips you find throughout the game. I also got really frustrated as to why there's ammo randomly all over the place. Where as in other Red Faction games you'd pick ammo up off of enemies, here it's strewn about in martian caves. It's a necessity since you'll need it when fighting the alien bug things. I felt it broke the immersion though. It has some replayability with a couple things unlocked after completing the game but you're required to start all over again. Definitely a rental, it's just not worth buying considering it's not all that great and short - I beat it in a day. If you really want to get a copy try to hold out until it goes on sale. I honestly don't think it will be too long before it's in the bargain bins. Expand
  3. Aug 15, 2011
    Initially I found it terribly boring, sparsely lit caves and the enemies behaving all the same, but in the later stages it grew on me as I found the gameplay more interesting with more abilities, weapons and strategies towards different foes. The gravity gun become one of my favorite weapons as to hurl enemies around or buildings upon them. It preserves ammo, and make the game a littleInitially I found it terribly boring, sparsely lit caves and the enemies behaving all the same, but in the later stages it grew on me as I found the gameplay more interesting with more abilities, weapons and strategies towards different foes. The gravity gun become one of my favorite weapons as to hurl enemies around or buildings upon them. It preserves ammo, and make the game a little more than just a shooter.

Later on the vehicles make for a good treat, not really challenging bits, but it was ok by me to get a breather from the standard gameplay. I find the game to be sort of back to the origins, (being in caves and all), and I like how it's not hyper active fast like the predecessor, although I did enjoy the open world of RF Guerrilla, not sure which one I deem the best of the two. But as the end title showed up, I felt it was time well spent on a entertaining game.
  4. Jun 18, 2011
    Although it keeps the building destruction of Guerrilla, very little else is preserved. The hyper linear shooter is nothing more than a bug hunt. In the end it comes out as a disappointment when compared to its predecessor. Although you could do worse for a third person shooter I wouldn't recommend getting this game until it is fairly cheap.
  5. Dec 22, 2012
    It's alright. Short, slightly repetitive and quite easy to beat. The destruction is nice but there usually isn't much point in it and sometimes it becomes more frustrating than cool. Gets kinda dull by the end of the game. Multiplayer is quite bland and really not worth any time. Overall it's pretty average.
  6. Jan 4, 2013
    Not bad, not great. I haven't played any of the previous Red Faction games, so I do not know much of the background and I'm considering Armageddon in itself and not as a part of a franchise. There isn't a particular area in which it excels, but it's an enjoyable game. It has its fair share of problems, it's quite short (8 hours on normal), it has a dull plot and there really isn't anythingNot bad, not great. I haven't played any of the previous Red Faction games, so I do not know much of the background and I'm considering Armageddon in itself and not as a part of a franchise. There isn't a particular area in which it excels, but it's an enjoyable game. It has its fair share of problems, it's quite short (8 hours on normal), it has a dull plot and there really isn't anything particularly innovative to be found, but the fights are sufficiently entertaining, despite getting a bit repetitive towards the end, it's fast paced, the vehicles are a nice diversion to break the monotony and the magnet gun it's a really nice weapon, that will give you a smile here and there, although it could have been used better.
    In the end, it's a fun game. I surely wouldn't buy it at full price, but it's definitely worth a try if you can get it for cheap.
  7. Aug 18, 2013
    Better than I expected it to be. The destructible environment is used pretty well and the game is overall quite fun. But it's not as good as Guerrilla.

Also, if playing on PC you will need the FOV fix. 45 degrees is just not enough.
  8. Sep 10, 2014
    After playing this game, I have played all the RF games, and I can now tell you which one is the worst. It's NOT Red Faction: Armageddon. The worst RF game goes to Red Faction II. Seriously, Armageddon is better than I thought it would be. The story is ok somewhat, but it's better than in RF:G. You play as Darius Mason, grandson of Alec Mason from RF:G, and he has more personality than hisAfter playing this game, I have played all the RF games, and I can now tell you which one is the worst. It's NOT Red Faction: Armageddon. The worst RF game goes to Red Faction II. Seriously, Armageddon is better than I thought it would be. The story is ok somewhat, but it's better than in RF:G. You play as Darius Mason, grandson of Alec Mason from RF:G, and he has more personality than his grandfather. He can be hilarious at times, especially when interacting with his S.A.M. (Situational Awareness Module) A.I. The theme of revolution is still here, although not as it was in previous games, you'll see what I mean. The campaign last for roughly 15 hours.

As for gameplay, it's really fun. Geo-Mod is still here. My main gripe is the removal of open-world. That's really a step back. It could easily have been implemented here. An underground open-world? That would have been great. But I like the new weapons such as the Magnet Gun. It allows you to latch magnets between two objects making one move towards the other. Upgrades are nice too. Taking out the baddies is really fun. What I really didn't like is how the game holds your hand. Not only do you have an objective marker, but also an arrowed path telling you where to go, leaving no room to find where to go on your own. And during boss fights, there is an icon telling you where you shoot, such as weak spots. Too-much hand-holding! As for Infestation mode, I haven't really played it yet, but it's a Horde mode, where you fight endless waves of enemies. Sound fun.

In the end, RF:A isn't bad, but it could have been better. Back when it was released, it would be worth a rental, but buying it now wouldn't be a bad idea, since it's relatively cheap nowadays. Now, Nordic games has control of the franchise, and they have promised a new game. Well, let us see how that turns out...
  9. May 18, 2015
    A pretty good game. I cannot call it a marvel of ingenuity, but as a continuation of the series it presents a solid 10 hours of play (which i think is ridiculously small, even by today's low standards, but it seems it is the trend for all games). The game desperately needs FOV tweaking, but luckily - i played it on PC and was able to get rid of the retarded "console box-view."
    The story
    The story is pretty decent - it is simple but paced very well, so the plot keeps moving with a nice, dynamic speed all the way up to the very end. I was actually pleased that the tedious "hammer" missions, in which you have to knock down buildings, were reduced almost to a zero in comparison with the Red Faction: Guerrilla. I didn't come along many bugs (although there are some insignificant ones), and the game version is still on 1.01 after 6 years from original release.
    Overall, a fun simple shooter, well-paced, and mostly polished for what it is - a mass-market pop 3rd person shooter.
  10. Aug 8, 2011
    I had very high expectation, Red Faction Guerrilla was just THE blast,
    but were is the exploring were is the multi-player? were is the Big world I could roam free in?
    they let me down...

Sealreth,
  11. Dec 21, 2012
    This game could be a lot more, but instead it's pretty linear as compared to Red Faction: Guerrilla, an open world-sandbox game where you blow everything up, I mean, overthrow a tyrannical government.

While there are many destructible entities in Armageddon, it's not as significant as it was in the previous game, and while it did distract from the main plot, god, it was just so fun!
  12. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a game i found to be a bit disappointing for a number of reasons for one thing there is no more free roam just linear levels secondly the story of the game wasn't even noticeable and thirdly it had a boring start but don't be alarmed those are really the negatives to this game.
    the positives the geo mod engine is almost breathtaking destruction looks realistic and also sounds like a real building is coming down the weapons in this game pack a punch and look in a word..... awesome and there is also a weapon which is really a horse that farts seriously im not kidding.
    the new alien enemies look very menacing overall this is a game what really relies on your choice to get the game.
  13. Jun 14, 2016
    Short game, but tons of fun. The weapons are some of the most unique I've ever come across, and are worth the purchase of the game. The game itself is narrow and linear, with awesome graphics (DX11) and decent voice-acting. Get it on sale and get ready for a fun 10 or so hours.
    Installed size on hard drive (all DLC): 9 GB
    This time around, we are playing as Darius Mason, son of Jake
    Installed size on hard drive (all DLC): 9 GB

This time around, we are playing as Darius Mason, son of Jake Mason (from the film Red Faction: Origins), and grandson of Alec Mason (Red Faction: Guerrilla). The terraformer has been destroyed, driving all of Mars' human residents underground. But even deeper inside the Mars crust lies an alien threat. If that sounds Red Faction: Armageddon has ventured into B-movie / game territory, you'd be right. It's a linear shooter, with some fantastic weapons (magnet gun!) and decent atmosphere and graphics. While I suppose much of Armageddon has been done before, it's done well here. So well that I was disappointed when the game ended that there wasn't more to it.

If you're looking for more to do after finishing the single-player campaign but don't want to play through the campaign again, there are two additional modes available. Ruin mode (destroy the environment) is a lot of fun: destroy the environment as fast as possible. You'll be able to use whatever weapons you've unlocked in the main campaign. But there are not enough maps and only two varieties: Free Play and Challenge. Multi-player cooperative horde mode (up to four players on a team), fighting waves of enemies, in either Survive (what it says) or Defend (repair / defend something while waves of enemies attack). There are eight multiplayer maps, each in two varieties for 16 maps in all. There is some fun to be had here, but with so few people playing the game, matchmaking is a problem. You won't be able to get 100% of the game's achievements without getting some folks to help you out.

The "Path to War" DLC, now included for free, is a series of four missions that tie into the main campaign. There doesn't seem to be any reason for them to exist. Maybe the missions were rejected from the main campaign but the dev team were perhaps proud of the level design and released them anyway. The missions are fun, but it is a short, disjointed experience.

I'd like to think that the dev team, knowing THQ was facing troubled times (they went bankrupt shortly after the game's release), said something like, "However big or small our budget is, that's how big /small our game will be. Whatever. Let's make it the best game that we can." And they succeeded, it's a tremendously fun game. If you enjoy playing it as much as I did, at the end you'll be wanting more. But there is no more to be had...
  14. Dec 20, 2012
    Armaggedon is by no means bad or unworthy of a player's time. However, your time could be better spent on a number of other games. It's a generic FPS; well executed but completely bland. Where the previous title laid forth some revolutionary physics, this one replaces sand box destruction with linear cave levels. The overall polish, as well as the shooting and alien mechanics are itsArmaggedon is by no means bad or unworthy of a player's time. However, your time could be better spent on a number of other games. It's a generic FPS; well executed but completely bland. Where the previous title laid forth some revolutionary physics, this one replaces sand box destruction with linear cave levels. The overall polish, as well as the shooting and alien mechanics are its strong points. The story is horrible like any red faction game to date but there were many high quality cut-scenes. Like many players I am divided about this game, which isn't bad enough to warrant bashing but isn't good enough to warrant praise. Expand
  15. Oct 16, 2011
    Red Faction: Armageddon does exactly what it says on the box. It's fun! Just like its predecessor, Red Faction: Guerrilla, we're given a very destructible world. Even if this one is totally linear compared to the last installment, it's still every bit as fun. The real reason this game hits the spot for me is because the physics and world construction and reconstruction works so well. TheRed Faction: Armageddon does exactly what it says on the box. It's fun! Just like its predecessor, Red Faction: Guerrilla, we're given a very destructible world. Even if this one is totally linear compared to the last installment, it's still every bit as fun. The real reason this game hits the spot for me is because the physics and world construction and reconstruction works so well. The magnet gun is gimmicky, gets a bit old later on in the game, but it's certainly useful for mayhem and destruction. Decent story, fun weapons, good animations and graphics, incredible physics, it's certainly above the average. Red Faction: Armageddon gets a 7/10 for me, it's nothing spectacular, but it wasn't claiming that it was in the first place. If it weren't for the physics and amazing destruction, this would be just another run of the mill 3rd person shooter. Good thing it isn't! Expand
  16. Oct 17, 2012
    This game is the very definition of a 6. It is functionally sound, it has a story to drive you to each set piece that inspires no excitement whatsoever, while not offending anyone either. It is reasonable enjoyable to play, but after it ends, I can't remember anything about the events or plot. So not a rousing success...it was 5 bucks on steam, I bought it and got my money's worth. That'sThis game is the very definition of a 6. It is functionally sound, it has a story to drive you to each set piece that inspires no excitement whatsoever, while not offending anyone either. It is reasonable enjoyable to play, but after it ends, I can't remember anything about the events or plot. So not a rousing success...it was 5 bucks on steam, I bought it and got my money's worth. That's all that can be said, really. KCCO. Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2011
    Overall? Fun. Perhaps not as fun as RF: Guerrilla though.

Pros: Maul makes you feel like a beast, lots of explosions, better writing than RF:G

Cons: Too linear, GeoMod 2.0 does not seem to be that much of an improvement.
  18. Jun 19, 2011
    How do you take an open world destruction game and make it better?

If you answered "jam it into a cave" you probably work for Volition. Literally, if you wander slightly away from an objective it does the "get back here in ten seconds or die" thing. As a standalone game, Red Faction: Armageddon would probably deserve a 6. But when you compare it to the glory of Red Faction: Guerrilla
    How do you take an open world destruction game and make it better?

As a standalone game, Red Faction: Armageddon would probably deserve a 6. But when you compare it to the glory of Red Faction: Guerrilla it's hard to think of it so highly. They took a perfectly good system and changed its every aspect. And for the most part, made it considerably worse.

The multiplayer is pathetic, like a slower, more boring version of Halo's Firefight. The gameplay is hardly different from any other shooter, with the occasional moment where you can blow up a building. (Usually you'll be running through indestructible caves.) The plot...don't even get me started on the plot.

SPOILER ALERT.

In the beginning of the game the terraformer that keeps Mars stable is blown up. Ignoring the fact that such an important target is so weakly defended, given you have the ability to literally repair anything, the fact you don't immediately repair it should confuse pretty much anyone. But fine. An easy author handwave is that the terraformer uses materials the nanoforge can't reproduce. Only...in the end of the game YOU DO ACTUALLY REPAIR IT in order to kill all the aliens you're fighting. Begging the question, why didn't you do that when the thing blew up, and why the HELL didn't you do that when the aliens showed up!?

END SPOILERS.

If you don't want the game spoiled for you, suffice to say the plot is a bad joke.

So in the end the game is another generic third person shooter. There are some innovative ideas-the nanoforge ability to repair things, and the Force-like abilities it enables are awesome. But pretty much anything else you could see by copy-pasting something like Gears of War and changing all the names (and removing the chainsaw).

Also, and here's the worst complaint, the game is dark. Not dark in the "this is kind of spooky" way. Dark in the "I just fell off another f***ing cliff? Really?" kind of way.

The only redeeming quality is that this is probably the only game we're gonna see this year that at least attempts to be innovative.

So yeah. It's a good rental game. But buy it? Hell. No.
  19. Jun 13, 2011
    back in the oldschool gaming, when everything was linear and do NOT tried to be crysis (even crysis 2 don't want to be crysis and prefer call of duty style now. for the fun. it's hard to judge wrong - crysis failed, while CoD shaped industry). There you go - intensive action that last 8 hours, survival mode (sorry, there is no real coop as well as no real multiplayer - just a lil bit ofback in the oldschool gaming, when everything was linear and do NOT tried to be crysis (even crysis 2 don't want to be crysis and prefer call of duty style now. for the fun. it's hard to judge wrong - crysis failed, while CoD shaped industry). There you go - intensive action that last 8 hours, survival mode (sorry, there is no real coop as well as no real multiplayer - just a lil bit of it, so go for guerrilla) that last some more hours. Unimaginative design thou. Some story, you know. Nah, nevermind. RFA even had a freaking rail gun like in a days when we were kids! What's wrong with it? People don't get it right. It all comes from a wrong approach. It is good as linear oldschool action with physics. Without any frustration of previous part. Fun while it lasts. If you want guerilla 2 and... go buy guerilla for the second time. Red Faction: Armageddon is well designed and polished title. You just won't remember it the day after. Expand
  20. Aug 9, 2014
    Annoying story, dull and stupid enemies, boring environment... the magnet gun is a good point, so it is the destruction/reconstruction of structures.

It can be a fun game, but only if you simply ignore the story... and you buy it very cheap
  21. Jun 8, 2011
    Disappointing is the best word to summarize the title; everything fun about Red Faction Guerilla is gone. RFA is a purely linear mission-based game that does not allow for open exploration like its predecessor. A "ruin" mode is included that allows some sandbox destruction, but the player is forced into a small controlled area with little to do and no reason to do it (honestly it almostDisappointing is the best word to summarize the title; everything fun about Red Faction Guerilla is gone. RFA is a purely linear mission-based game that does not allow for open exploration like its predecessor. A "ruin" mode is included that allows some sandbox destruction, but the player is forced into a small controlled area with little to do and no reason to do it (honestly it almost feels as if we've been thrown a pathetic bone). A better variety of weapons but no reason to use different ones, you'll find what you like and have no reason to mix it up.

The allure of being able to complete missions at-will and stop to destroy buildings at-will became the entire draw of the series thanks to Guerilla, and that has been entirely abolished here in favor of a very short story. Being given the affordance to repair resource pieces does not make up for there being very little to destroy during very small, narrow, generic levels.

Everything that made the last game fun is not present in Armageddon. Worth renting and completing the story as its very well-polished, VO work is great, sound, look, and feel are all wonderful. It's a great looking game with very little to do that ultimately let me down after Guerilla gave me such a great play experience.
  22. Apr 6, 2014
    RF:A is a generic corridor shooter with story and gameplay elements shallowly borrowed from classics like Doom and Dead Space, and heavily dumbed-down and easied-up for console gamers. On PC, the game is buggy and crashes constantly with no fixes in sight. Save points are frustratingly placed based on the goofy narrative, rather than at user-determined spots that would allow the skippingRF:A is a generic corridor shooter with story and gameplay elements shallowly borrowed from classics like Doom and Dead Space, and heavily dumbed-down and easied-up for console gamers. On PC, the game is buggy and crashes constantly with no fixes in sight. Save points are frustratingly placed based on the goofy narrative, rather than at user-determined spots that would allow the skipping of a lot of garbage. The graphics are modern but unspectacular, yet require a ton of resources to render. The default FOV is stupidly narrow - for the sake of consolers, obviously - and isn't easily modifiable. This is yet another console port where PC gamers are given short shrift despite simple solutions being relatively easy to utilize.
    It's a shame. I enjoyed Guerrilla, but this is nothing like that - and that would have been OK if they had been even a little bit clever and creative with the storyline or gameplay, but they weren't. Devs should have done playtesting with fans of their previous title and listened to what they said instead of churning out a characterless and generic ball of brown corporate game-industry ooze.
  23. Dec 30, 2011
    The Red Faction series went back to its roots after the amazing Red Faction: Guerilla, and unfortunately that's a bad thing. As a 3rd person shooter Armageddon is fun and pretty enough, but it's short and the campaign is ultimately forgettable. You are no longer fighting tyranny and corruption but an annoying alien species that lives underground and spends most of its time jumping fromThe Red Faction series went back to its roots after the amazing Red Faction: Guerilla, and unfortunately that's a bad thing. As a 3rd person shooter Armageddon is fun and pretty enough, but it's short and the campaign is ultimately forgettable. You are no longer fighting tyranny and corruption but an annoying alien species that lives underground and spends most of its time jumping from rock to rock. The lack of competitive multiplayer is disappointing, and the 'destruction mode' and 'survival mode' do little to redeem it. Get this only if you are a Red Faction fanatic, or absolutely must play every shooting game there is... and make sure you get it on sale! If I had paid full price my score would be lower. Expand
  24. Nov 27, 2013
    A game that almost perfectly sums up 'meh'. It does nothing really badly but neither does it do anything particularly well.

My biggest gripe is that the terrain destruction mechanic, unlike the original Red Faction is a gimmick rather than a gameplay changer.

Don't avoid this game but don't buy it unless you're bored or it's on sale.
  25. Jan 18, 2015
    Excellent graphics and voice acting, but the story line in not very interesting. All you do is shoot the creatures, one after another, level after level. The game seems to be short but that's not so much a bad thing as it gets tiring shooting the same creatures over and over.

The cut scenes are short too, which is not so bad either because of the shallow storyline and limited character interactions making the characters understandably forgettable.

Having said all that, the game is still playable, and a few replays to try different difficulty settings. Just wait for the game to be deeply discounted before you buy.
  26. Nov 22, 2013
    Not a bad FPS/Third Person shooter that with out the Red Faction tag may be considered a little better than it is. The problem is that it does nothing to get you overly interested. It has a solid story with slightly repetitive combat and same old destructible physics while being a bit linear.

Like the games apart from the first struggles with being a port and not sure exactly what the series wants to be
  27. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 7
    Graphics : 7
    Story : 8
    Sound : 7
    Overall : 7
  28. Nov 26, 2013
    Red faction Armageddon is the first red faction game I've played. I was drawn into the game because a) it’s on mars and b) it showed destructible environments. The whole concept sounded very cool, interesting and fun, which is why I picked Armageddon and Guerilla up on a steam sale.

The story is classic sci-fi fare and it doesn't really stand out. The alien monsters aren't scary like in deadspace and the other parts of the story are relatively forgettable. This isn't a bad thing, not every game has to have an incredible story or a really well fleshed out world, so long as it is fun. Unfortunately the game falls a little short here too. The enemies are incredibly easy and I found myself using the maul/gravity gun over and over for almost every enemy encounter. It's not a bad game mind you but it is not a game I would have wanted to spend 60 on. 10 to 15 on sale is a fair price for how much game play value you will get out of Red Faction Armageddon.
  29. Dec 10, 2016
    To sum this game up short - its a very fun mindless shooter. Altough its a linear game now compared to Guerilla, its still a good one cuz lets be honest wasting hours of driving objective to objective in Guerilla wasnt fun at all, tho youll miss bringing down base after base which made Guerilla such fun and unique experience.

Story is ok at best and will be more tolerable for fans of

Story is ok at best and will be more tolerable for fans of Red Faction series. Most of time you spend shooting aliens and cultists down more or less linear corridors. When you get out doors and get to command vehicles s#it gets real and that destruction found in Guerilla shines again in Armaggedon, tho such levels are only maybe 20 % of the game time at best.

PC port wise it has some issues, in some areas frame rates tanks and i experienced lots of crashes playing in DX11 mode on Windows 7 rig. If you got less powerful GPU id reccomend turning down shadow quality at first and ambient occlusion without sacrificing other visual settings, doing so improves fps instantly, they dont matter so much since game takes place in dark places and action is almost non stop so you wont notice loss of image quality with those settings turned back.

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Red Faction: Armageddon to me is a good B movie.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 30, 2011
    It was worth sacrificing free-form play for a linear story driven shooter. Armageddon is different than other pieces of the Red Faction series but it still brings all the fun of "mass" destruction. [July 2011]
  3. Jul 26, 2011
    Armageddon's visuals are borderline awful, but the primitive gameplay is what looks the worst.