8.2

1. Aug 21, 2013
    I score this game a lot lower than I wanted too, especially being a fan of the older fps games like doom, quake, half life, etc. I bought this in a bundle with the other Red Faction games and wanted to play through them in order of story, but this game is making it really hard for me. The geo-mod is cool, though as many others have said, it is extremely under-utilized. You go around aI score this game a lot lower than I wanted too, especially being a fan of the older fps games like doom, quake, half life, etc. I bought this in a bundle with the other Red Faction games and wanted to play through them in order of story, but this game is making it really hard for me. The geo-mod is cool, though as many others have said, it is extremely under-utilized. You go around a locked door once, then that's pretty much it (I tried doing this around other doors to get a good vantage point on enemies but found the rock completely indestructible). The game is extremely hard, and sometimes in a fun way, but a lot of times it just felt cheap. The AI knows where you are at all times and shoots you before you even see them, and getting swarmed by multiple enemies that take 30+ bullets to kill is just frustrating. Speaking of frustrations, a lot of the bosses are BAD and not for GOOD reasons. They either kill you through walls or get stuck on an environment. I had to start over with one boss around 20 times until the boss finally decided to do what it was supposed to do. The game has a lot of cool ideas, but it just wasn't fun to play. Most of the time I just played to try to finish the story, but quit because I wasn't enjoying the game. Expand
  2. Jun 13, 2011
    Workers' revolts are always awesome. Where the game lacked in convincing voice acting, it made up for in gameplay and the ability to blow things up. Not the greatest game ever made, but well worth playing.
  3. Oct 16, 2012
    One of the older FPS games out there. Perhaps what Red Faction is most known for is the Geo-mod, which makes a lot of the environment destructible with the right weaponry. However, although this is a really great feature, I felt as though the game used nowhere near enough of its potential. You only really had to do it a couple of times in the beginning and then for the rest of the game itOne of the older FPS games out there. Perhaps what Red Faction is most known for is the Geo-mod, which makes a lot of the environment destructible with the right weaponry. However, although this is a really great feature, I felt as though the game used nowhere near enough of its potential. You only really had to do it a couple of times in the beginning and then for the rest of the game it was forgotten and ignored completely. As a simple FPS game, Red Faction is not bad at all. It is fun for short bursts of playtime as you mindlessly shoot the enemies with a nice variety of guns in a cool sci-fi setting. The background music is really cool too and fits the setting really well. In some ways I felt as though the game was inspired by Half Life and Deus Ex. However, having said all that, the game has plenty of drawbacks. I'm completely looking past the silly voice acting since it was kind of funny in some ways. The drawback mainly for me was that Red Faction was very repetitive and just a mindless shooter. It didn't involve you using any clever tactics and such. The whole game is just how quickly you can shoot all the people in the room. You can only play it in short, half-hour bursts before getting bored. Although the game did try to change pace in some parts, I personally found all those parts to be quite ineffective and even annoying, whether it's getting a dumb AI robot to hover over a disposal pit, extremely bland underwater combat, or the stealthy infiltration parts. Although stealthy parts weren't too bad, the game didn't have enough to make them more engaging. Most of the time there was no way of telling what would cause someone to become suspicious of you and what wouldn't. And also, when your cover does get blown, you have to still continue the rest of the area in your disguise with just a stealth pistol, which was pretty annoying because by that stage I would've preferred to take out more powerful weapons to fight off the guards. In the end I just don't see this game lasting me many hours. To conclude, I'd say unless you wish to play every FPS game under the Sun, give this one a miss. If you are into older FPS games, just stick with Half Life. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2014
    Its essentially half-life on Mars with a inferior story. I will admit the gameplay is fun at times and the soundtrack is decent. But overall if your looking for a good classic shooter get half life or deus ex.
  5. Jun 12, 2016
    Red Faction is a classic first-person shooter with some nicely detailed (still decent) environments and twitchy, head-shot-focused mechanics. Probably not as innovative as the original Max Payne, but still a great game that's worth a playthrough if old-school is your preference.

Guns are great, and destructible terrain is fun. Game-play rewards tactical thinking and choosing the correct weapon for the right situation. Game-play and gun-play are smooth, and graphics are pretty good for a game from 2001; I never had my immersion broken b/c of low-res textures. Level design never felt boring, though it was sometimes mildly confusing.

Some things are just outright frustrating, though. Maybe I've been spoiled by the recent generation of games that have direction finders and maps (though I didn't have a problem in Max Payne or Max Payne 2), but lack of directions and small switches to press to proceed can equal many minutes of running around aimlessly, looking for the way forward. Health is at a premium on any difficulty. Story is meh. Voice acting (except for Hendrix) is sub-par. Music is annoying and repetitive. The final levels felt tacked on, making the game too long - though, at 6 hours for a run-through, the game is actually anything but long.

And while I didn't have the bugs that other gamers have encountered (like the submarine exploding for no reason - use V-sync, the bug comes from an uncapped frame-rate), I could only play an hour or so before the voices stopped sounding. I had to exit the game, and verify the file cache. There were usually 3 files that had to be re-acquired. Once done, the game proceeded normally - for another hour or so. Annoying, but not really game-breaking (I wasn't playing with any mods).

Worth a look for for any Red Faction fan, or someone who enjoys old-school shooters. But there will be no hand-holding. Or clues. Or detailed directions.

EDIT: Played with the Pure Faction mod installed, and the above problem with the voices disappeared. Pure Faction also enables native 16:9 resolutions (so the image isn't stretched) and has numerous other fixes. Recommended.

1. Red Faction is not a classic, but the new Doom ain’t out yet buddy. Red Faction will allow you to practice the frag fest fever for the time being.
  2. A couple of years ago, Red Faction would have been a stellar title but now, it’s simply a very good one.
    The single-player experience is great on its own, which explains the success of the PS2 version, but with the addition of a powerful and customisable multiplayer mode, PC owners are in for a treat.