Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 PC

8.6

1. Mar 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game can be described with three words: great but hard! If you manage the hard learning theres no better WW2 shooter then Red Orchestra! Intense firefights, realistic tank combat and combined arms fights like you never seen them before! It´s shipped with two mods "Darkest Hour"(West Front) and "Mare Nostrum" (African Front) that still get updates with new tanks, guns and for example mortars! Anyone who downrated this game, just isn´t good enough for this game and should go back and play CoD! Try it handle the hard learning curve and enjoy the greatest FPS of all times! Expand
  2. Mar 13, 2011
    A breath of fresh air for the tired, worn out WW2 genre. Red Orchestra 2 is a multi-player focused game that transports you to the massive Eastern Front of the Second World War, playing as either a heroic Red Army grunt or a brave German soldier. Red Orchestra is a near perfect blend of realism, fun and atmosphere, and will leave you shaking at the end of every match.
  3. Dec 13, 2011
    I love this game, it has the charm, the immersion, the tactics and even the music to make you know what was WW2 about. Sure you can't say it's like war, but it presents it in a respectful manner.
  4. May 15, 2011
    Unlike many games which try to cater to everybody at the expense of overall quality, RO:O knows who it's aimed at and it hits the nail on the head completely. Like every game, it has its flaws - the engine is dated and there are some bugs that linger - but unlike most games, it is an honest, well-made tactical shooter that shirks gimmicky game features or 'cinematic' visuals or sequencesUnlike many games which try to cater to everybody at the expense of overall quality, RO:O knows who it's aimed at and it hits the nail on the head completely. Like every game, it has its flaws - the engine is dated and there are some bugs that linger - but unlike most games, it is an honest, well-made tactical shooter that shirks gimmicky game features or 'cinematic' visuals or sequences for gritty realism. The game's pacing is perfect, and the map selection is good; the plethora of custom maps available, many of which are professional-quality, only serves to enhance the experience further. Despite the age of the engine the game's atmosphere and accuracy are superb, down to every last stitch on the uniforms of its Russian and German soldiers.

RO isn't for everyone, but for its realism level, the learning curve really isn't that steep; TWI's approach of keeping things simple has worked wonders, and it takes most players little more than a few games to adjust to the gameplay. If you're someone who can't live without a crosshair, or think that the weapons in Counter-Strike reload too slowly, or just plain can't go without shooting someone every five seconds - stay away. No doubt some of the negative reviews here are from these kinds of gamers, and they would be within their rights to say the same to me about Counter-Strike. Don't play a game you won't enjoy. With that said, RO is a lot more accessible than games like ArmA or Jagged Alliance, and the payoffs for good teamwork are more immediately apparent.

Overall, I'm going to have to rate RO at a 10/10 on principle. The game is immensely enjoyable for those who shy away from the twitch shooters that flood the FPS market today and it's aged well - servers are often still full around the clock. The gameplay, atmosphere and most of the level design are some of the best I've seen in any game, let alone of this class. An absolute must-buy for any serious tactical shooter fan and a must-try for anyone interested in WWII history, and I suspect it will remain so long after the sequel is released later this year.
  5. Jun 14, 2011
    The best WW2 realism game out. I pre ordered through steam and this is one of the games I can say 100% was worth the money. I have 300+ hours in this game and I dont plan on stopping till RO2 comes out. Tripwire is the only dev team I trust any more, I know they will put out a game that is worth the money. Ill be buying RO2 day 1.
  6. Sep 23, 2011
    A true masterpiece, that has a still unmatched gameplay, and the proof of that is that there are full servers even after 5 years after its release. I recommend to pick this one up if you can.
  7. Sep 30, 2011
    the community is almost dead now because it's a 5+ year old game and the sequel is already out but this is probably the best FPS i've ever played. it had the perfect mix of realism and gameplay balance. sadly tripwire has dumbed down the sequel to appeal more to the mainstream market so we will probably never see a shooter as good as this again, until maybe the guys who made the Darkestthe community is almost dead now because it's a 5+ year old game and the sequel is already out but this is probably the best FPS i've ever played. it had the perfect mix of realism and gameplay balance. sadly tripwire has dumbed down the sequel to appeal more to the mainstream market so we will probably never see a shooter as good as this again, until maybe the guys who made the Darkest Hour mod for Ostfront make their own game. RIP Ostfront you were the best damn ww2 game i've ever played. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2011
    A game of pure realism brilliance unmatched by any other FPS out there. This game however does have a very specific audience appealing to those who are into hardcore realism (one shot kills, no cross-hairs, etc)
    Highly recommended.
  9. Nov 8, 2011
    This is a game that the major developers should look to for pointers on how to make a refreshing FPS experience. Veterans of other first person shooters may feel uneasy upon entering Red Orchestra, because in this game you will not be allowed to run about in the open with no care in the world for very long at all. The atmosphere of war produced in this game is excellent, and when fullyThis is a game that the major developers should look to for pointers on how to make a refreshing FPS experience. Veterans of other first person shooters may feel uneasy upon entering Red Orchestra, because in this game you will not be allowed to run about in the open with no care in the world for very long at all. The atmosphere of war produced in this game is excellent, and when fully immersed it can be quite scary to have bullets flying over your head in the midst of battle, while desperately trying to take down some enemies with your bolt-action rifle. This game is probably the best FPS I've played. Expand
  10. Apr 11, 2012
    I am a fanatic of WWII games but this one is really fantastic!
    The mods are generally weak on the new models and the new factions have a poor armory.
    The multiplayer mode is very difficult to use because you have to wait a lot of time.
    But the single player mode is wonderful, simply!
    you can personalize everything and i like it very much!
    Especially because in the Mare Nostrum mod there is Italy!
  11. Aug 15, 2012
    Singleplayer is a pointless shoot-em-up with objectives, winning or losing depending on the difficulty. Multiplayer is a pointless try-shoot-em-up with objectives, winning or losing depends on which team has the most talent or communication. The whole point of the game, I think, is the gritty experience of getting stuck into a trench with a deadly rifle, daring to pop your head up to getSingleplayer is a pointless shoot-em-up with objectives, winning or losing depending on the difficulty. Multiplayer is a pointless try-shoot-em-up with objectives, winning or losing depends on which team has the most talent or communication. The whole point of the game, I think, is the gritty experience of getting stuck into a trench with a deadly rifle, daring to pop your head up to get into the fight. Shooting can be brutal, constant deaths, or finding a good spot and getting several kills. I once got into a bayonet scuffle with a player in a room, my heart was pounding when I saw him storm in. It was one-on-one, I don't remember who killed who in the end, I just remember that my hands were shaking, and I loved it. Tank combat mixing with infantry is done well here, worth it if it's on sale and you enjoy experience gameplay, this is definitely not arcade fun. Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour mods are worth a look at for this game. Expand
  12. Feb 18, 2013
    This game is so great I don´t know what to say about, first people who say it´s crap can´t play it, it´s to hard for BF and CoD Kiddies! Much people complain about camping, well war is all about camping till the right moment for an attack is there! If you want a really realistic combat experience there´s nothing that can compare with RO:Ost! I would give it 9 points but you get 2 free ModsThis game is so great I don´t know what to say about, first people who say it´s crap can´t play it, it´s to hard for BF and CoD Kiddies! Much people complain about camping, well war is all about camping till the right moment for an attack is there! If you want a really realistic combat experience there´s nothing that can compare with RO:Ost! I would give it 9 points but you get 2 free Mods with it Darkest Hour (Western Front Scenario) and Mare Nostrum (African Scenario) and dudes it just rock on and on! Give it a try, its very cheap on steam! Expand
  13. Dec 9, 2012
    A game better played against other online gamers, bots could do a better job. One thing bugs me, why should a small wooden fence or box block the movement ability of tanks.
  14. Dec 11, 2013
    well this is best world war 2 simulater this game will take you to middle of the real war and you will suddenly notice that kingtiger is coming up to you and you'll freak out hell RO2 is bad but you should try DH mod and also i have to say FFUK OFF COD KIDS this place is not where you belong
  15. Mar 15, 2015
    The best and most realistic WW2 FPS/Simulator. Even better with the 'Darkest hour' -mod, please, locate and download it. Adds the Western Front and several US/British/German vehicles and weapons. I have the RO2, but still prefer the RO1 with Darkest hour -mod.

1. I absolutely love the attention Tripwire has given to the small details in the game.
    There's very little gameyness in RO and a whole lot of gritty crawling along the ground so you can flank over to that machine gunner and allow your team to advance to the next spawn point objective.
  3. Red Orchestra is an enjoyable, team-based online shooter for those who like the Battlefield-style games but want a more technical and realistic experience.