7.9

1. Jan 9, 2014
    One of the best point and click graphic adventures ever. I have a hard time thinking about a story line that was more complex with twists and turns in a video game than Resonance. I really liked that you could grab subjects/objects as the topic of a conversation than being presented with fixed options as in most graphic adventure games. The biggest issues I had with was the graphicsOne of the best point and click graphic adventures ever. I have a hard time thinking about a story line that was more complex with twists and turns in a video game than Resonance. I really liked that you could grab subjects/objects as the topic of a conversation than being presented with fixed options as in most graphic adventure games. The biggest issues I had with was the graphics (retro, so forgivable) and the automated dialogue for greetings with other characters that plagues pretty much all graphic adventure point and click games. I would say almost every puzzle was related to the actual story at hand, except for a couple that seemed to be out of place. If you are a fan of point of click graphic adventure games like the old Lucas Art Films games (e.g. Grim Fandango), then I think you should get this! Expand
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    Good characters, fine voice work, and a solid story.

Good characters, fine voice work, and a solid story.

And of course whats a good point-n-click adventure game without some puzzles? Resonance has some excellent ones; not too hard not too easy and nearly all based on logical real world solutions so even if you cheat and peek at the solution you'll go, "Why of course! Why didn't I think of that." Also, the puzzles fit seamlessly right into the story rather than feeling like arbitrary sideshows (except one the puzzle box), which is great. Some are true puzzles like decryption, cracking into safes, or keycodes while others offer up more traditional problem solving tasks. Looking back I can't find a single one that I hated. A testament to the fact that the puzzles don't rely on finding hidden paths, excessive backtracking, or copious amounts of pixel hunting. Okay, maybe a smidgen of backtracking on one or two puzzles, but the areas are few and quite compact (plus you have instant travel) that we are talking 5-10 seconds worth of backtracking. In the world of point-n-clicks this can be considered non-existent.

One extra thing worth noting is Resonance takes a risk by altering the standard point-n-click gameplay ever so slightly. Instead of talking to a NPC and having a preset set of keywords Resonance adds a dynamic keyword system of sorts. You can drag any item into your inventory and then re-drag it onto a NPC later on to ask them about it (they call it Short-Term memory.) Kind of neat little feature and well implemented. Its not some drastic gameplay altering change, but it does gives Resonance its own little uniqueness in a point-n-click genre that is pretty set in stone in its ways.

All in all Resonance offers up about ~11hrs of gameplay if you don't cheat and I'd say worth a 9/10. Only thing that should scare anyone away from this gem is if you just can't stand the old-school pixelated art-style of the 80's/90's adventures cause Resonance has it and there isn't anything you can do about it.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    I am a fan of WadjetEye Games and after Gemini Rue I was looking into next big story from these guys. But after first chapters I had to stop in the middle of the game. So frustrating multi-person controls and gameplay combined with illogical problem solving forced me to abort it.
  4. Dec 2, 2013
    I've read really good things about adventure games from Wadjet Eye games, so I thought I would give Resonance a try.

I've been playing adventure games since the early 80's, I started with the early Sierra games and Infocom text adventures. Graphics and sound usually don't matter much to me. But the graphics in Resonance are so bad they interfere with gameplay. For small items I often can't see an item, and I certainly can't tell what the item is. I thought the pixel hunt for interactive objects on a screen style of gameplay was dead and buried. The interface is clumsy as well.
    With all the great games Daedalic has been publishing lately I don't want to waste any more time with games that might have been impressive if they were released 20 years ago.
  5. Nov 23, 2013
    It feels like playing in my youth, real mid 90s feeling. The same graphics, the same sounds....

The puzzles are sometimes a little bit difficult, but the average is ok.

Recommend this game for the real enthusiast!
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, just the freedom of point 'n click adventure games would be a plus. The way the game let me talk to other characters about someone behind their back, but refuse to do so when they're in the room was an amusing find, I think the developers really put thought into the dialogue and reactions the characters would have to different situations, characters and itemsI really enjoyed this game, just the freedom of point 'n click adventure games would be a plus. The way the game let me talk to other characters about someone behind their back, but refuse to do so when they're in the room was an amusing find, I think the developers really put thought into the dialogue and reactions the characters would have to different situations, characters and items (except the detective). The story was gripping and kept me guessing. I finished this game in one sitting and I enjoyed it immensely. That said, I wish they made better use of the memory mechanic, it's a neat idea, but it was rarely used in actual puzzle solving. Expand
  7. Jun 3, 2013
    This game single-handedly rejuvenated my love for adventure games. The story is unique and twisting, the memory inventory system is innovative and the graphics are pleasantly nostalgic with a modern edge. I think the cursing, while light, was probably unnecessary. But overall, an amazingly entertaining experience.
  8. May 11, 2013
    Among the best puzzle creation in all of point-and-click adventure gaming. Resonance challenges you with a variety of brain-twisters that break away from the conventions of pixel hunts, "Use X on Y," and "do a thing while applying modular effects" approach. The result is puzzles that demand to be understood rather than brute-forced. The voice acting is pretty good and for most of the gameAmong the best puzzle creation in all of point-and-click adventure gaming. Resonance challenges you with a variety of brain-twisters that break away from the conventions of pixel hunts, "Use X on Y," and "do a thing while applying modular effects" approach. The result is puzzles that demand to be understood rather than brute-forced. The voice acting is pretty good and for most of the game the story is gripping, though it tries to rush itself to completion toward the end. Highly recommended for adventure gamers; this is among the best of them you'll ever play. Expand
  9. May 6, 2013
    Other than the graphics, this is one of the best adventure games I have ever played. The story is fast paced and engaging. The puzzles were challenging and logical. The music and voice acting were good. There were some new and interesting game mechanics. The first is the short-term and long-term memory system. Second is switching between the four main characters in order to solve puzzles.Other than the graphics, this is one of the best adventure games I have ever played. The story is fast paced and engaging. The puzzles were challenging and logical. The music and voice acting were good. There were some new and interesting game mechanics. The first is the short-term and long-term memory system. Second is switching between the four main characters in order to solve puzzles. The character animations are good, each character has their own set of expressions. Some animations like walking around are jumpy like old 16 bit games. The biggest negative to this game is the graphics resolution, about the same as an old fashioned Sierra title from the early 90's. Since some of the puzzles and game mechanics rely on visual cues, this detracts from the overall playing experience. What is most impressive about this game is that it provides a good experience in spite of this primitive graphics resolution. Expand
  10. Dec 6, 2012
    While some gamers may be put off by the pixellated 640x480 resolution, if you can get past the graphics you'll find an entertaining adventure game that manages to recycle all the best puzzles from the genre, and wrap it all up in an intriguing and mature plot.
  11. Dec 1, 2012
    The game gives you four protagonist to play. They start out being introduced one-by-one but later on you get to play them simultaneously. The story is the big strength, spiced with some interesting character interplay/dialogue and twists. The puzzles start out simple but get more complex as the plot evolves. Resonance introduces a memory system which enhances what you can talk about inThe game gives you four protagonist to play. They start out being introduced one-by-one but later on you get to play them simultaneously. The story is the big strength, spiced with some interesting character interplay/dialogue and twists. The puzzles start out simple but get more complex as the plot evolves. Resonance introduces a memory system which enhances what you can talk about in dialogues, similar to what you have as an inventory - an inventory of the mind, if you will. Although the puzzles are overall very well done, there were a few frustrating ones relying on exactly the memory aspect that in my opinion spoiled this element which is so vital to the game. The story is pretty good with clever surprises and sometimes the development is influenced by your choices. In principal, I was satisfied with the ending although the cut-scenes to all different endings seem somewhat over-the-top and a little non-credible. Resonance is worth the money if you like adventures heavy with puzzles. Expand
  12. gas
    Nov 22, 2012
    This game is great overall, even if a bit short, i guess its better quality over quantity anyway so im not lowering the score cause that.
    Its an old school point-click adventure with a very solid and interesting story, cool characters, nice dialogues, an interesting interactive and inventory system (still a bit clunky in some occasions), and well...
    overall i recommend any gamer
    overall i recommend any gamer interested in those adventures to pick this one, anyway i feel to point out also that the game has some flaws.
    The most annoying aspect is about the music, that in most occasions is 20 seconds (terrible) sample looping endlessly which cant be turned off if not switching off all the game sounds.
    Sometimes spending 15 mins in a room trying to figure out what to do with this music loop even out of sync at times gets me mad and made me switch off the sound.
    Another aspect which can be personal taste, is the fact imo the game is a bit too much hardcore at times in therm of illogic things to do or try/error situations.
    Overall compared to the real old adventures average difficulty, like Lucas ones, this one is a bit more accessible luckily, but in some occasions its defo frustrating.
    In most occasions it will be logic how to go on, it will be cool and satisfying, puzzles and situations in general are rewarding without asking too much time and it will rarely be required the tedious try-to-combine-random-things-hoping-it works that was a bit too much standard especially back in the 80's and early 90's...
    Still there are 3-4 situations where its really hard if not impossible to figure out how to go on in this game and i think this aspect should have been lifted a bit, as beside it was quite normal back in the days to be stuck in those kind of games, still i feel actually this aspect of hardcore try/error-pixelhunt is no more fun/satisfying as gameplay.
    Sometimes it happens to figure out that you are trying to do the right thing but the game doesnt allow you yet cause you need first to talk to npc A or show item X to person Y to make the action you wanna do possible.
    Anyway its my personal opinion, this game as old/school point and click adventure is really cool including the plus and minus that were present usually in those kind of games, just i personally think that it could be more modern and appealing to have a game like this not easier to complete in therm of puzzles, but more logic with less try/error hard steps, as its very satisfying to go on in those kind of games on alone, but the need to read a guide to pass some specific points strip away a bit of fun.
  13. Sep 26, 2012
    I'm honestly not sure that other people are reviewing the same game I am. The one comment that seems fit is that the graphics in this game are akin to that in "Beneath a Steal Sky". In other words, horrible even for 10 years ago. Made by a single developer, this game comes across as the type of thing one would find in a developer's portfolio for a job interview, not a released game. TheI'm honestly not sure that other people are reviewing the same game I am. The one comment that seems fit is that the graphics in this game are akin to that in "Beneath a Steal Sky". In other words, horrible even for 10 years ago. Made by a single developer, this game comes across as the type of thing one would find in a developer's portfolio for a job interview, not a released game. The voice acting is stilted and not evocative in any way. To it's credit, the story is somewhat interesting and there is some humor in it. The best news is that there is a demo freely available from the distributor's website. I strongly advise anyone thinking of buying this game to download it and try it out. If you like what you see in the demo, it's probably worth the money. Myself, I could not get past the horrible graphics. Expand
  14. Sep 23, 2012
    I thought thats amazing game returning back to my old point and click puzzle days with old adventures .
    Also we can forget that the whole project was done at most effort and for me thats the spirit ...if the game has not the best graphics ., dont care , the idea and puzzles were quite ok to have hours of fun .
  15. lpn
    Sep 10, 2012
    Even the occasionally clever writing couldn't save this game from its clumsy pre-millennium gameplay and interface mechanics. The multi-character interactions and "memory item" mechanics could've been a lot more interesting, and really didn't contribute to the game in any other way than unnecessarily increased and convoluted complexity that really only resulted in an additional dimensionEven the occasionally clever writing couldn't save this game from its clumsy pre-millennium gameplay and interface mechanics. The multi-character interactions and "memory item" mechanics could've been a lot more interesting, and really didn't contribute to the game in any other way than unnecessarily increased and convoluted complexity that really only resulted in an additional dimension of frustrating "adventure game logic".

In addition to this, the game wouldn't let me proceed past a particular point in the storyline, despite finishing all the goals (at around 208 points). This is very poor and disappointing game design, it's hard to believe it's developed by the team who made "Gemini Rue".

However, I will give it 4/10 for decent graphics and voice acting.
  16. Aug 18, 2012
    Resonance, a game developed by Widjet eye games and XII games is one the most immersive and breath-taking game i've ever played! I finished it in two days cause the story and the way that is explained and told to you is done in a perfect way. The puzzle are tough yeah, but not impossible (if you're looking for "impossible puzzles" play Grim Fandango) you just have to you use your brain toResonance, a game developed by Widjet eye games and XII games is one the most immersive and breath-taking game i've ever played! I finished it in two days cause the story and the way that is explained and told to you is done in a perfect way. The puzzle are tough yeah, but not impossible (if you're looking for "impossible puzzles" play Grim Fandango) you just have to you use your brain to get around difficulties! The short/long memory system is innovating and a very, very nice way to dialogue between characters and NPC.

In my opinion, this is way better than grim fandango and also slightly better than Moment of Silence. My advice? BUY IT in order to support indies, you wont be disappointed!
  17. Aug 9, 2012
    This game is at the top of it's league right now. What an awesome adventure with very intense story that is spread out in very good dialogue. Makes your imagination just take you away in a awesome tale. And you know what? You are in it ...aren't you?
  18. Aug 5, 2012
    I've never been much for these kind of games, i tried a bunch but never finished any. Resonance was the first one i actually finished. A very engrossing story, solid puzzles and a major turn in the story i absolutely didn't see coming made the brilliant experience i had with Resonance. It's a bit like reading a book, you watch as events unfold but you can't do much about it. That linearityI've never been much for these kind of games, i tried a bunch but never finished any. Resonance was the first one i actually finished. A very engrossing story, solid puzzles and a major turn in the story i absolutely didn't see coming made the brilliant experience i had with Resonance. It's a bit like reading a book, you watch as events unfold but you can't do much about it. That linearity could be viewed as a complaint i guess, bit i was fine with it. The voice acting is rock solid, humorous and even touching at times. The puzzles are of good difficulty and you always get help by talking to the other characters, witch really helps to keep the game fast paced. It is by no means a super special something you never heard before kind of story, but it has plenty of twists that will keep you glued to your screen, it certainly did for me. Awesome stuff, it really made me reconsider this genre, i may revisit all the other games in this genre i have, perhaps wrongly, discarded. Expand
  19. Jul 26, 2012
    If you like adventure games this ones great, made by the same people who made Gemini Rue and the Blackwell games. Youll even recognize some of the voice actors in it. Its got the same oldschool graphics and the point and click system best for adventure games. Great story, voice acting, game length, and puzzles can be hard at times. I reccomend to any fans of ADV games.
  20. Jul 3, 2012
    Definitely an effort that deserves praise, given the limited budget and the cheap pricetag, but definitely still just a shadow of the magnificence of the point and click of the golden age. The plot starts off really slowly and fails to be engaging, taking ideas from the settings that remind me of the worst B-movies, yet it flies off around 2/3 of the game and manages to link all theDefinitely an effort that deserves praise, given the limited budget and the cheap pricetag, but definitely still just a shadow of the magnificence of the point and click of the golden age. The plot starts off really slowly and fails to be engaging, taking ideas from the settings that remind me of the worst B-movies, yet it flies off around 2/3 of the game and manages to link all the elements of the first half in a pretty satisfying way; I wouldn't say everything makes perfect sense and the reasoning of the characters may set you off for their illogical reactions, but all you need to know is explained. The ending doesn't really live up to the pathos that was built up a bit before, but it's still satisfying and provides closure. About the puzzles, I actually found it to be extremely logic, but too much straightforward; if you follow the plot with attention it's pretty unlikely you'd be stuck up, mostly because they require you to put together simple clues that were given a bit before; I sadly found the characters' conversation to be not subtle at all and basically spoiling most of the actual solutions. The voice acting was bittersweet; a couple of characters were extremely impressive, while the other were utterly terrible; I really hope Wadjeteye will get enough budget to get a more professional cast in the future releases.
    The middle part opened up, which was a nice surprise in this kind of game, yet I was surprised by the overall length, which does feel short for a game that was in development for five years. Yet I'm nitpicking; the game is worth the price and is a great gem in the indie substrate; you'll find a great price/value ratio in this game; despite some little flaw, some small original idea and the care that was given to this project will probably make you happy.
  21. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The really impressive thing is that each of the four characters has an incredibly strong reason to be involved in the events of the story. Typically in adventure games, the hero does it "just for a lark" (the vast majority) or because they're a bit nosey, even though they're putting their life at serious risk (Broken Sword, Gabriel Knight). Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those games, but there's a real sense of forced participation on the part of the main characters. Why does Gabriel Knight end up risking his life repeatedly to fight against an evil voodoo entity? Why, because he's researching a new book. Why does George Stobart go against an international conspiracy capable of assassinating VIPs? Because... he... does?
    ==============================================
    It's the various motivations, and how nuances and morally ambiguous they can be, that put this game ahead of the pack. You never need just accept that they're in a room taping a sponge to a broom to distract the guard so they can go in and steal his cake so they can bribe the fat man guarding the keys to the scooter, just because that's how they roll. No, in this game it all flows through and makes sense, so the puzzles hang together better and blend into the setting rather than feeling horribly tacked-on (like in the otherwise fantastic The Longest Journey). And the other thing is the puzzles actually make sense. How do you log into the top secret computer? Well you hack into a regular PC, check the emails, get just enough info to get someone's username on the super computer, reset their password on it, then check the new password in their email account on the regular PC. None of that "tie a cat to a pogo stick and use it to catch a passing pigeon, which you then glue a microphone to so you can have it fly outside the window and record the man talking about his password".
    ==============================================
    The story is fantastic, the characters are believable and well-written, the music and artwork is wonderful, and there are some tough choices and genuinely shocking twists.
  22. Jun 24, 2012
    Game is pretty nice, good story and good puzzles, you wont regret buying. Pure Sci-Fi with incredible voices and story, the game will catch you at the first level, long time memory and long time memory will make the game more dynamic.
  23. Jun 22, 2012
    Brilliant adventure game for all fans of good old classic quests. Feels a little bit rushed to the end but still story is great and gameplay is solid.
  24. Jun 21, 2012
    What's the one thing that modern gaming too often lacks? Well, maybe there's a couple things, but good storytelling is certainly one of them. Here's where adventure games can, and to be successful, must stand out. Resonance does just that with it's compelling overall narrative and fantastic dialogue. And it comes as no surprise from a studio (Wadjet Eye Games) known for stand outWhat's the one thing that modern gaming too often lacks? Well, maybe there's a couple things, but good storytelling is certainly one of them. Here's where adventure games can, and to be successful, must stand out. Resonance does just that with it's compelling overall narrative and fantastic dialogue. And it comes as no surprise from a studio (Wadjet Eye Games) known for stand out adventurers. Their big effort last year, Gemini Rue, is masterwork in retro adventure gaming. To those who yearn for the golden years of story driven puzzlers, take hope. Wadjet Eye is keeping the dream alive. Expand
  25. Jun 20, 2012
    Just finished my first playthrough of Resonance and that's really my main complaint. It's a really solid puzzle game and the story and voice acting are very good quality. I did have two main complaints, the first being there are a few points where the puzzles/situations seem out of place of the story. The "puzzle box" being prime example. Other than that it was a little short, I clockedJust finished my first playthrough of Resonance and that's really my main complaint. It's a really solid puzzle game and the story and voice acting are very good quality. I did have two main complaints, the first being there are a few points where the puzzles/situations seem out of place of the story. The "puzzle box" being prime example. Other than that it was a little short, I clocked about 8-9 hours out of the game on first play but it was only $10. I'd say if your a fan of well written puzzlers its a must, if your not then its a cheap way to have a really good couple of afternoons. Expand
  26. Jun 20, 2012
    Absolutely amazing! I mean it really feels as if Im playing a game straight from 1994. This game just overflows with those nostalgic feelings of the glory days of Adventure gaming. The puzzles are tough the dialog is great and the voice acting is fantastic!
  27. Aug 9, 2012

1. Aug 31, 2012
    It's Wadget Eye Games' most ambitious game, but is it their best? In the technical department, as an adventure game, it is. Excellent speech, intelligent use of short/long-time memories, interesting riddles and simultaneous use of four heroes. But, alas, Resonance's scenario can't surpass that of Gemini Rue. [July 2012]
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    While at times frustrating (like all good adventure games), Resonance is an interesting combination of gritty, creepy, and above all else, humorous. Working with memories, and different characters' perceptions of events makes for a satisfying approach to the story.
  3. Aug 13, 2012
    On the whole, Resonance is serviceable entry in a genre where very few games are being made. The plot's not stellar, but it's still pretty good. The animation was fluid, and some of the scenes are quite gorgeous. The music also does a good job of setting the mood for the various locales and situations. Despite how harsh I might be, it's solid enough for being a ten dollar indie title and I do recommend checking it out for adventure fans.