• Publisher: Cadenza
  • Release Date: Jan 31, 2013
6.9

1. Feb 9, 2013
    I had given this game an 8. But it's just too unstable (even after a slew of updates).

Couple crashing with save points that are a bit far between and too many stages that are just kill X number of enemies before continuing and you have game that becomes tedious.

Other gripes include: whilst the stages are not big they are still too big. I think this game might have benefited from
    being smaller and more focused. And the sound effects really sound (ha!) like they were an afterthought.

Combat also is tricky as there is a lot of clutter; I regularly get hooked on projections and wedge in debris while 6doffing my way around enemies.

Is this game bad though? No. It's pretty and has an appealing and quirky sense of humour. It tries hard to be Descent and does capture some of what made Descent great. Am I upset I paid money for it? No, definitely not but I do wish it was a little more polished.
  2. Feb 5, 2013
    Cool concept. A little bit buggy though. Only been playing for an hour and already got stuck in a tube with an observer that refused to move forcing a restart. On more than a few occasions I get pushed through or can clip through walls.

Overall the difficulty is pretty good. A little repetitive right now but hopefully that will get better as the game goes on.
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    If you're like me and have been itching for a good Descent-like game, then this should satisfy you. Unlike the other user reviewers, I never had any crashes. There are a couple places where the difficulty spikes a bit high, and I had to resort to cheap tactics to continue. I'd have loved to play MP with folks, but the browser never found a single game with other players in it. I cut my FPS teeth on Descent MP, so it would have been fun. Oh well, maybe I can convince enough friends to buy it. Expand
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    A very nice little game- it plays very well, has a beautiful environment, and is absolutely full of awful computer jokes and puns, as well as quite a few less specific jokes, mainly found in the spam emails. I give this game 8 out of 10 because at the time of writing I have noticed a few glitches, such as crashing when your computer goes to the screensaver, and a strange lag when you quit the game to the menu screen. It could also use a better tutorial, and, for the user who not care for the style of humor, the option of a demo. Expand
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    Giving Retrovirus an 8.

A beautiful love letter to a classic game that exists in an untouched genre until now. It's an absolute blast to play, and lasts surprisingly longer than I had expected it to, honestly. First play through took about 10 hours. The final bossfight bugs out if you quicksave during it, and load that quicksave. It involves the boss's health bar. It saves how much
    damage you had done to it in the health bar, but the boss itself gets full health back. This may have been patched between now and then.

The only other minor complaint i can think of is that the pathfinding of the 'click this button to draw path to the next objective' sometimes has no idea what it's doing and will go through a wall. Still, this didn't happen to me very often at all, and was a simple mistake i can overlook.

For what you pay, and what you get, I must say that Retrovirus exceeded my expectations of 'a descent clone' and gave me something that i love. I hope the game sells well enough to warrant a sequel of some kind, and have recommended it to all of my friends.

Definitely give it a shot. If the thought of flying around and shooting stuff seems appealing, then you won't be disappointed.
  6. Aug 2, 2013
    Odświeżenia starych gier nie muszą być kiepskie i nudne, w tym wypadku jednak wyszło nawet gorzej, Gra jest nie dopracowana, zbudowana, strasznie monotonna, i strasznie zoptymalizowana. Twórcy w ogólnie nie wysilili się na dopracowanie szczegółowości poziomów, nie wykorzystali potencjału budowy komputera, zrobili strasznie nudną walkę(strzelaną) z przeciwnikami. w tą grę po prostu nie da się grać. Na szczęście gra graficznie nie wygląda fatalnie. Minusem jest oczywiście to że gra naprawdę kiepsko chodzi na komputerach nawet z wyższej półki. Twórcy robili tą grę bez żadnego pomysłu, wpakowali tutaj wszystko co nie powinno się w ogólne znaleźć. Expand

1. May 13, 2013
    Retrovirus is strongly inspired by Descent, so its old school gameplay diverges from current standards, which doesn’t have to be a drawback. The game’s biggest strength is how the world looks. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.81]
  2. Mar 30, 2013
    Without prods from the story to push onwards, Retrovirus is reliant on the appeal of its three-dimensional shootouts to push you towards the end. Thankfully, they are up to the job. [Apr 2013, p.107]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Retrovirus is a great adventure and it gives you some insight into what your computer could be dealing with each day you use it.