8.9

1. May 16, 2015
    Russian language. Нет поддержки русского языка, а очень много Россиян играют в игру, очень обидно и не удобно из-за этого играть. Если ставить сторонний русификатор, то проблемы с сетевой игрой, что так же портит наслаждение от игры!!!Russian language. Нет поддержки русского языка, а очень много Россиян играют в игру, очень обидно и не удобно из-за этого играть. Если ставить сторонний русификатор, то проблемы с сетевой игрой, что так же портит наслаждение от игры!!!
  2. Dec 22, 2014
    Great graphics for the time period, engaging gameplay, and great fun to play with family and friends. If you're a fan of the Age of Empires series, Rise of Nations is definitely worth checking out.
  3. Oct 27, 2014
    Guys if you love this game , then please sign this petition

4. Sep 9, 2014
    An excellent mix of Ao2 and Civ ideas.
    Very fresh and strong mechanics
    AI is smart and difficult (however does cheat on higher levels)
    Balance is excellent
    Not the best sound-design
    Empire borders are very interesting and dynamic
  5. Jun 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely brilliant game.

When I first purchased this game back in 2003, the year it won gamespot's game of the year award, I had no idea what to expect as it was a blind purchase but boy am I ever glad I did. Since then I have bought the game a couple of times off Amazon and now with the option of the game to be played on Steam, I have a renewed desire and accessibility is easier than ever before with the cloud support.

Not a lot has changed in the Steam Extended Edition, but that is for the better. Rise of Nations returns and it is nice to see that Rise of Nations is in the midst of the recent renewal and uprising of the real-time strategy genre.

10/10. Would buy again, and again, and again.
  6. Jun 19, 2014
    There are no words to express the utter joy felt when I saw this on Steam. This RTS is said to be the love child of Age of Empires and Civilization. Truly, it's a masterpiece of it's own. It has go to be the best RTS out there. Go out and buy it already, damn it!
  7. Jun 7, 2014
    Best RTS game ever made! Thanks Steam for bringing it back! Great variety of nations, game style.. One of my favourite games of all time. Multiplayer games are superb!
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    I've been playing RTS games since 1999 and i can assure this game is one of the best ever created. Of course it is not as massive or competitive as the Star-craft games but that's because people didn't give him the chance. The game is a mix between Age of Empires and Civilization sagas. Play is complex and provides lots of options while playing (diplomatic management, build orders,I've been playing RTS games since 1999 and i can assure this game is one of the best ever created. Of course it is not as massive or competitive as the Star-craft games but that's because people didn't give him the chance. The game is a mix between Age of Empires and Civilization sagas. Play is complex and provides lots of options while playing (diplomatic management, build orders, openings, and a good amount of units). As long as you like RTS games, this one is well worth to buy giving you massive hours of fun Expand
  9. Mar 12, 2014
    Amazingly fantastic game. I'm not one of those people who give things they hate a 0 and things they like a 10 just to raise the score, i give honest reviews. beautiful RTS graphics, real strategy, excellent multiplayer, and an interesting world map mode......it has key elements from civ that make it fun with classic RTS factors too...definitely the RTS of the year. MY only complaints areAmazingly fantastic game. I'm not one of those people who give things they hate a 0 and things they like a 10 just to raise the score, i give honest reviews. beautiful RTS graphics, real strategy, excellent multiplayer, and an interesting world map mode......it has key elements from civ that make it fun with classic RTS factors too...definitely the RTS of the year. MY only complaints are even though the civilizations have distinct bonuses and special units and look different with i think 4 different unit and building sets.....they all still play al little bit too much the same, with maybe the exception of the chinese who get instant citizens. but mostly its just trade bonuses, faster tanks, etc......you will notice these and they are game factors, but i tend to like warcraft3 style a bit more with totally different civs. I think each civ could have a real radical ability(some already do). but check out the upcoming expansion, adding 6 races and some campaigns too. this is a excellent game with great graphics, sound, and gameplay. i hope RTS's will continue to innovate like this. Expand
  10. Feb 5, 2014
    I personally think this game is one of the RTS genre masterpieces of all time. It is the game where most features of past RTS's (pre 2003) where assembled and refined to the finest detail. This game is great, combat, resource gathering and diplomacy are all complex yet intuitive, achieving a balance that is unheard of.

Starcraft 1 is good, but I prefer this game by far, Starcraft is

Starcraft 1 is good, but I prefer this game by far, Starcraft is somehow limited, as well as AOE or Warcraft. The campaigns in this game are complex and challenging and very rewarding as well. I play this game almost everyday on multiplayer (look for Vugi's patch). I highly highly recommend this game for all RTS fans, and get it with the expansion!
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    Big Huge Games did a wonderful job on this title. I've played many RTS games, and RON is surely one of my favorites. Do not listen to the negativity. As I've stated in many of my reviews, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this game doesn't deserve low scores. Most of the nations do tend to play the same, however, most nations have unique units which no other nation can have. OneBig Huge Games did a wonderful job on this title. I've played many RTS games, and RON is surely one of my favorites. Do not listen to the negativity. As I've stated in many of my reviews, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this game doesn't deserve low scores. Most of the nations do tend to play the same, however, most nations have unique units which no other nation can have. One example is of course the British Black Watch. How cool is that? The British are surely one of my favorites to play, but the Russians are my 2nd choice, for they get the power of the Motherland which invading armies suffer additional attrition damage. Most armies are dead by the time they can get to your capitol. Awesome.

Now, some have stated a problem with historical accuracy and some nations having access to gun power units when they didn't in reality. Well, you have to remember, when playing the Conquer the Entire World or New World campaigns, those are not meant to played historically. Those are a "what might have been" where you pick a nation and world dominate. So, if some said nation never had guns in history, but they changed history, then I guess they would end up having guns now wouldn't they? Now, the other campaigns such as Alexander, The Cold War or Napoleon are pretty accurate history wise. I've no complaints here.

A great game with great graphics, lots of replay value, fun and addictive. 10/10.
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    Steampunk, technological. magical RTS. Nice gameplay and graphics. Campaign is enjoyable and skirmishes are fun because the units are really cool. I like how strategic it is while also being action-oriented with the battles. Great game.
  13. Jul 15, 2012
    By far, this is one of the greatest RTS games of all time - and easily one of the best games of all time. In terms of gameplay, it is superb. The detail and complexity of its resource system ties in amazingly well with its technology and research aspects, which in itself is still unrivaled even in modern games. In addition, the building aspect itself ties into these extremely well. EachBy far, this is one of the greatest RTS games of all time - and easily one of the best games of all time. In terms of gameplay, it is superb. The detail and complexity of its resource system ties in amazingly well with its technology and research aspects, which in itself is still unrivaled even in modern games. In addition, the building aspect itself ties into these extremely well. Each city provides bonuses to nearby resources, as well as to nation borders, which in turn help with resource generation. Then the combat adds another layer, with certain units countering others, terrain types affecting combat, generals giving combat bonuses, and so on. On top of this, the game itself is setup exceedingly well. There are a massive number of nations to choose from, each with their own distinct economic and military bonuses, as well as unique units. The user interface is amazingly intuitive as well as fluid. The multiple campaigns allow for the connection of separate skirmishes to a larger picture. As a single player game, Rise of Nations is simply a masterpiece. The AI offers many different levels of play, ranging from basic to very challenging. However, it also offers multilayer, for those who have exhausted the extensive single player AI. While multiplayer plays exactly like single player, the ability to use diplomacy only increases. Two players can team up to defeat a stronger opponent, or to gain an even stronger dominance of the map. In addition, diplomacy can be used to solve long battles with no clear winner in sight. Over all, Rise of Nations is an absolutely astonishing game. Anyone with any interest in strategy games should pick this up (preferably along with the expansion pack). I purchased Rise of Nations only a few weeks after its release, as well as its expansion pack (also a few weeks after release). To this day I still play and enjoy the game, and is easily one of the best games of all time. Expand
  14. Jun 22, 2012
    Best Real Time Strategy game ever made.I have played so many,and this is definately the best.After playing Rise of Nations,I even admitted it was better than Age of Empires,my favorite game.This game is genius.
  15. May 24, 2012
    With the most immerse campaign I've ever played (borrowing the concept from Risk), the most diverse nations, and the most diverse units & buildings, this game is the type of RTS that's deserved to be called one of the most realistic RTS yet.
  16. Apr 18, 2012
    Bland and generic feeling. Too arcade. The civs are not unique enough, and south american civs are not supposed to have gunpowder troops in the middle ages! I came from having played AgeofEmpires2, cossacks & American Conquest. This is not a bad game, but I felt mildly disappointed.
  17. Feb 1, 2012
    This game is the next best thing from the classic RTS like starcraft and Age of Empires 1 and 2. Great balanced gameplay and interesting time frame, this game is better than Empire Earth. This is an addictive game. Only pity is it never put emphasise on the competitive multiplayer faction.
  18. Jan 4, 2012
    All strategy fans will love this game, it is by far the best RTS game i have ever played, Age of Empires, Warcraft, and even Empire EArth don't come close to this fantastic game.
  19. Dec 14, 2011
    Few RTS game can reach almost perfection state, and RON is the best example, the game is solid, addictive, clear, deep and easy to play, the developers build this game to be a game which you have to use "strategy" in order to win and that what is what all startegy games made to be since the board games, other aspects of the game such graphics, features and modes are excellent and perefect,Few RTS game can reach almost perfection state, and RON is the best example, the game is solid, addictive, clear, deep and easy to play, the developers build this game to be a game which you have to use "strategy" in order to win and that what is what all startegy games made to be since the board games, other aspects of the game such graphics, features and modes are excellent and perefect, till date I see the graphics are clean and crisp. The replayability is very high due to many availabe nations to choose from many different historic periods to play with. If you are RTS fan you have to get this even of we are in 2011, there wont be any game similar to RON anytime soon. Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am writing this review 8 years after RoN came out, and it's still one of the best RTS games available. The game comes across as far simpler than it actually is, and never stops fascinating me how intricately interwoven it is. If you want an RTS, you must try this game, and try it again, and again. The mini-game within the game of generating wealth, finding out how long it takes for wonder bonuses to pay themselves back, directing your armies and striking the enemy decisively, the micromanaging of your nation, playing the market for potentially huge advantages. See the drama of an army overtake a city, then the defending nation makes a counter and reclaims it, and together they dance as the front lines oscillate back and forth until one realizes how they can change their tactic and beat the other. See the vast possibilities of different nation abilities, or how much the game suddenly turns on it's head when a new resources becomes available (like oil), or how one nation researching a future tech like AI or World Government or Missile Shield changes everything.

The game mechanics are fascinating and vast, RoN will show you what an ingeniously designed RTS is like.
  21. Aug 21, 2011
    Definitely enjoyed playing this game a lot. The ability to choose your time period was rather exciting, and being able to follow a groups' entire history was surely a great idea. Graphics are rather good, for back in 2003. Now, a bit outdated, but still entertaining.
  22. Aug 4, 2011
    This is a very good strategy game. Many ages, nations and functions like control 1 team as 2 players and so on. The only strategy game I had more fun is Warcraft 3 but mainly because of the story and world.
  23. Jun 15, 2011
    for being 2003, this game is stunning. The graphics are great for it's time period. The levels are so fun, and challenging. You can pick so many different time periods to start and end with, and playing online especially is the funnest of all. To play against your friends. It's 2011, and i still play this game to this day. There's no bugs, no flaws, nothing. The AI is smart especially forfor being 2003, this game is stunning. The graphics are great for it's time period. The levels are so fun, and challenging. You can pick so many different time periods to start and end with, and playing online especially is the funnest of all. To play against your friends. It's 2011, and i still play this game to this day. There's no bugs, no flaws, nothing. The AI is smart especially for it's day in age. The game is fantastic. 10 from me. Expand
  24. GeorgeD.
    Feb 11, 2007
    Awesome game, but the one problem with it and many other strategy games is that the water battles or ships are "smooth". There are always little awkward and stick out the water a lil but if you ain't too serious about it I think the game is awesome. How it lets you build massive armies cause one unit makes three men. Plus many other unbelievable reasons, in my opinion the 40 bucks I Awesome game, but the one problem with it and many other strategy games is that the water battles or ships are "smooth". There are always little awkward and stick out the water a lil but if you ain't too serious about it I think the game is awesome. How it lets you build massive armies cause one unit makes three men. Plus many other unbelievable reasons, in my opinion the 40 bucks I used on this was money well spent. Expand
  25. TonyG.
    Jul 15, 2004
    In my RTS world, all games are simply shadows of Warcraft III. That being said, this is a really good game! It's an intriguing combo of Age of Empires and Civilizations. The single player is really enhanced by the "Conquer the World" option, which is a nice RTS version of the classic Risk. I prefer this game over Age of Empires because it is more unique. And anything that AOE does, In my RTS world, all games are simply shadows of Warcraft III. That being said, this is a really good game! It's an intriguing combo of Age of Empires and Civilizations. The single player is really enhanced by the "Conquer the World" option, which is a nice RTS version of the classic Risk. I prefer this game over Age of Empires because it is more unique. And anything that AOE does, Warcraft III does better. But Rise of Nations has several unique concepts not present in either game: wonders and its cleverly designed research tree. While wonders were technically present in AoE, in RoN they build much faster and provide in-game benefits. As for the tech-tree, it is a very simple, straightforward progression that isn't present in other RTS games. You choose to advance in one of four categories: military, civic, economic, and science. Another great aspect of RoN is how open-ended your expansion capabilities are. Instead of needing to build near resources, you can build a city anywhere you want. This leads to an interesting concept: how do I shape my expansion towns in my growing empire? Do you locate them all in a line to invade enemy space, or do you build out in a circular, turtle like defensive pattern? Combat is not nearly as smooth in WC3, but that's ok. It's different but still a lot of fun. Instead of insane micromanagement, this game concentrates more on macromanagement. The battles spread out over large areas, and you need to be aware of where you're sending your guys. Outflanking is a valid maneuver here. The pacing of battles is relaxed compared to WC3, but AoE players will find it similar. Overall, this is a very enjoyable game. If you're an RTS nut, try it--you won't be disappointed. Expand
  26. Intrepideer
    Jun 18, 2004
    An awesome game that is great for a mental challenge.
  27. KevinR.
    May 31, 2004
    Awesome in every sense of it's genre. Every part of the game seems to have been particularly focused on by it's designers to be the best it can be. The game never gets old, especially when you hook up with some buds in a multi player game, either online or on a network. Speaking of multi-player... The strategy needed to play individual people in this game is so distinctly Awesome in every sense of it's genre. Every part of the game seems to have been particularly focused on by it's designers to be the best it can be. The game never gets old, especially when you hook up with some buds in a multi player game, either online or on a network. Speaking of multi-player... The strategy needed to play individual people in this game is so distinctly different it is amazing. RON forces you to think ahead and adapt quickly to play on your opponents weaknesses, and defend against their strengths. Some games have come close to accomplishing this level of strategy, but this game nails it! Expand
  28. Chimp
    Mar 2, 2004
    Amazingly fantastic game. I'm not one of those people who give things they hate a 0 and things they like a 10 just to raise the score, i give honest reviews. beautiful RTS graphics, real strategy, excellent multiplayer, and an interesting world map mode......it has key elements from civ that make it fun with classic RTS factors too...definitely the RTS of the year. MY only complaints Amazingly fantastic game. I'm not one of those people who give things they hate a 0 and things they like a 10 just to raise the score, i give honest reviews. beautiful RTS graphics, real strategy, excellent multiplayer, and an interesting world map mode......it has key elements from civ that make it fun with classic RTS factors too...definitely the RTS of the year. MY only complaints are even though the civilizations have distinct bonuses and special units and look different with i think 4 different unit and building sets.....they all still play al little bit too much the same, with maybe the exception of the chinese who get instant citizens. but mostly its just trade bonuses, faster tanks, etc......you will notice these and they are game factors, but i tend to like warcraft3 style a bit more with totally different civs. I think each civ could have a real radical ability(some already do). but check out the upcoming expansion, adding 6 races and some campaigns too. this is a excellent game with great graphics, sound, and gameplay. i hope RTS's will continue to innovate like this. Expand
  29. ChrisW.
    Feb 15, 2004
    This is one of the best games i have ever played. It combines the stratagy of the Civ. series with the action of A.O.E. Let this game sets the standard for all RTS games of the future.
  30. MarcusB.
    Jul 6, 2003
    Fantastic game. Don't listen to those who complain that it's like Civ III or Age of Empires or whatever else. It takes the best bits of those games and fuses them into an addictive package. So yes, it does REMIND you of various games, but it feels better than all of them. It is faster and more like a RTS than Civilization (thank god), less oriented towards micromanagement than Fantastic game. Don't listen to those who complain that it's like Civ III or Age of Empires or whatever else. It takes the best bits of those games and fuses them into an addictive package. So yes, it does REMIND you of various games, but it feels better than all of them. It is faster and more like a RTS than Civilization (thank god), less oriented towards micromanagement than AOE (no more farms to reseed!), and has a learning curve that is less steep that Medieval: Total War. The only downside is that if you LOVE one of the aforementioned games, you might be biased and view RON as derivative. Don't. Give this game a chance! Expand
  31. JDaSilva
    Jun 9, 2003
    This game is a masterpiece. Perfectly balanced, epic, exciting, beautiful and the most important: FUN!!! Every RTS, TBS or War gaming lover must own this gem. Big Huge Games: I must say Chapeau!
  32. SamerK.
    Jun 4, 2003
    Having spent many a sleepless night feeding my Civilization3 addiction, I was excited about Ron thinking that it is the next step forward in Civ-type games. After playing it for a while I realized that, while it is a good game, it is less successful as a 'model' of history or historical development than Civ3 is, which is the major thing that attracted me to the Civ game.
  33. WarwickA.
    Jun 3, 2003
    This game should be called Age of Empires 2.1. It is so much like the age games it is almost impossible to tell them apart(until you get tanks). Claiming this game was Civ gone RTS is an exaggeration at best, and nigh on false advertising at worse. The strategy map is straight from Dune and gives the game the illusion of some RTS elements. Overall, this game is at best a slight This game should be called Age of Empires 2.1. It is so much like the age games it is almost impossible to tell them apart(until you get tanks). Claiming this game was Civ gone RTS is an exaggeration at best, and nigh on false advertising at worse. The strategy map is straight from Dune and gives the game the illusion of some RTS elements. Overall, this game is at best a slight improvement on your standard RTS and should be avoided by all but the most zelous clickfest gamers. Expand
  34. MatthieuR.
    May 29, 2003
    This game combines the best elements of Civilization and Age of Empires into one game. The balance is almost perfect between combat and managing your civilization. The only downer are the lack of single player modes, as the "Conquer the World" campaign is pretty weak.
  35. AdrianZ.
    May 29, 2003
    This is a great game. There is many different civilizations you can choose from, all with their own atributes. a fun conquer the world campaign, and a deathmatch. it mixes civilization 3 with age of empires. a great game!
  36. KelR.
    May 28, 2003
    Yeah, this is a great game, I love how you can advance through so many different ages, and customize the game to your liking. The only problem is the bugs with multiplayer and NOWALL, what's up with that?
  37. LubkoT.
    May 27, 2003
    It is excellent.
  38. Aug 21, 2011

1. There is a lot to be said for the city-centric game design, the intricate unit balancing, the smart AI, and the catchy, quickie action, although there isn’t anything here to make the jaded sit up and shout.
  2. Playing Rise of Nations won't make your jaw drop in amazement, but you'll probably still have lots of fun as long as you like RTS games. [Aug 2003, p.74]
  3. The second, more significant disappoint that RON inflicts upon the gamer is the mind numbing singularity of the conquest battles. As much as I love toasting the opposition into roasted marshmallow oblivion, doing so 22 times in a row gets a little old.