Rise of the Triad PC

6.7

1. May 12, 2014
    Together with bringing nostalgia to those who grew up with it, this game reminds us many of the flaws of the old RotT and other old FPS.
    For example, its a first person shooter with platforming, and not the great Mirror's Edge kind of platforming, this is the **** kind of platforming.
    Another annoyance is that sometimes enemies blend in with the background and its not easy to notice them before they shoot you and maybe kill you, which isn't a good thing for this kind of game.
    Also there is no quick saving and there are some performance issues.

Its a great game, and its hard, fans of the original will enjoy this one, everyone else will have frustrating moments but you might still enjoy it, especially if you're tired of the casual games or especially the casual shooters that pretend to be hardcore and fail at being either. At least it never gets boring.
  2. Aug 3, 2013
    Eh.... I didn't play it expecting very much, but it really was a diasppointment. I get that it's supposed to be a remake of an old 1994 shooter, but it still is lacking. While I didn't mind the graphics or crazy effects, the game was riddled with glitches and quite boring AI. You'd be better off playing something like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon if you want a comical,fast shooter.
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD: Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD:
    Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons of graphics options.

THE BAD:
    No manual saving. Poor A.I. that doesn't always react to your presence. Small enemies that blend in too well with the environments. Widespread performance issues (frame rate drops and stuttering). Mouse smoothing that can't be disabled through the menus (plus when it's disabled via config edits, the movement still doesn't feel quite right).

OVERALL:
    A fun game that stays true to the original in many ways but also lacks polish. It's fast, furious, and challenging, but makes one wonder just how great it could have been had the developers spent more time optimizing the performance and kept a classic "save anywhere, anytime" system. Thankfully, for $15 it isn't much of a gamble and if you're a fan of shooters from the "good old days," go for it. Just expect your moments of glee to occasionally be interrupted by those of disappointment or thoughts of "what could have been."
  4. Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, originally the performance was bad but they did a patch soon after release to adjust this. It's a modern rehash of an oldschool FPS. The level design is okay and the graphics are fairly good. They made some good changes to weapons but I got a little irritated with the checkpoint system.
  5. Aug 2, 2013
    Why 5/10? Because of optimization. I've got Asus Radeon HD 7770 Graphics card and amd phenom II x4 945 processor 8 gb ram and this game is frapsing on LOW.... i can turn off EVERYTHING and set EVERYTHING to low and it gices a sh**.... I like this game for humor style fast moving but graphics it destroys EVERYTHING. I played on my brothers card geforce 550 titanium.... and it was a lotWhy 5/10? Because of optimization. I've got Asus Radeon HD 7770 Graphics card and amd phenom II x4 945 processor 8 gb ram and this game is frapsing on LOW.... i can turn off EVERYTHING and set EVERYTHING to low and it gices a sh**.... I like this game for humor style fast moving but graphics it destroys EVERYTHING. I played on my brothers card geforce 550 titanium.... and it was a lot better than mine card. So 2 capabilities NVIDIA gave them money for worse optimalization for radeon cards or the messed up something. Expand
  6. Aug 2, 2013
    Was very exited for this reboot as the original Rott pretty much dominated my childhood together with Duke Nukem.
    I was not disappointed albeit with a couple of ifs.
    The game itself is very very fun, very true to the original and I have had a blast from the word go. Diverse arsenal, bloody gory mess, its got it all and it does what is says on the tin quite well. (being an remake) The
    I was not disappointed albeit with a couple of ifs.

The only points where i found it lacking that it does look a lad outdated, and i attribute that to the lowish quality of the texturing. The voice acting is just, well, bad even though the game is a parody of itself. And the game is stupidly fast. I know the original was as well but not this fast.
  7. Aug 4, 2013
    Checkpoints, bugs and bad performance are hurting this game. Part of making a 90's game is giving players freedom. That includes the freedom of saving whenever you want...
  8. Aug 2, 2013
    Where do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump inWhere do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump in about 5 times now from different angles and nothing works, I just keep sliding into the lava. To make it even more annoying, you have to do the whole level again up to that point if you're that one pixel off. Still haven't gotten past it and I feel like it's such a waste of my time trying to do this one jump that should be so simple. In most cases during the game so far, about half the time I don't feel like it's my fault for dieing. The vast majority of the weapons are rocket launchers of some sort and all the objects, pillars and railings have hit barriers larger than you would think, so getting damaged by your own weapons happens all the friggin time. Much of the time the damage that traps do to you is extremely inconsistent. One time I got blasted by fire dead on and it only did like 20 damage. Another time I barely touched the edge of the fire and I practically exploded at full health. That's just scratching the surface but when the game decides to stop being unfair, it can be fun. The shooting for the most part is satisfying and the humor at some parts has made me laugh out loud. Expand
  9. Oct 30, 2013
    I don't get this game. The graphics are terrible and it gives me a headache. Performance is terrible it can go from 90fps to 30fps from one room to the next. I got this game on sale thinking it would be mindless fun but its just poorly developed trash. GJ DEVS
  10. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fun at times, simply because it's old-school feeling and royalty to it's own roots. Yet, the game is poorly optimized, and there are some design faults which take away a huge chunk of your pleasure. Shame, this could have been a classic.

Still, I say it's a solid FPS with 6.5/10 score. Much better than many other FPS games out there.
  11. Jan 6, 2015
    This game has all the elements of the original game but then reworked in a new coat. It is pretty much only shooting without much of a story to be unfold here. It has the famous gory details known from original (e.g. eyeballs coming off exploding enemies). The guns have endless ammo. The game has some drawbacks though: bugs; platform maps; instant death through objects and fore allThis game has all the elements of the original game but then reworked in a new coat. It is pretty much only shooting without much of a story to be unfold here. It has the famous gory details known from original (e.g. eyeballs coming off exploding enemies). The guns have endless ammo. The game has some drawbacks though: bugs; platform maps; instant death through objects and fore all unbalanced bosses. While the normal game play is moderate difficult, the bosses are not. They are extremely difficult to conquer. On launch there were some performance issues but those seems fixed these days. All in all not a triple A game but under 10 euro you can safely pick it up. Expand
  12. Jan 16, 2015
    ROTT. What a childhood defining game this was. Cannot recall how many hours I put into this on the family PC running DOS. I can still hear the sound-bites and see the pixelated and absurd enemies of the original. It was perhaps the best game in our 150+ library for years.

Which is why it pains me to say that this doesn't quite match up to the original. Unfortunately, it is a game that is designed for two decades ago, with graphics from one decade ago. The quick-paced, rocket-jumping, ludicrous gibs-inducing play-style of this just seems like it doesn't fit in today's AAA game library. Enemies often bugged out, you'd glitch into a wall, or take phantom damage and stroll around on 0%. Almost seems rushed.

However, what does save it for me, are the throwbacks to the original, which I'd imagine is what this game is aiming for above all else. The remixed soundtrack, the ridiculous weapons, the coin collecting, and the throwbacks to classic enemies. And for those die-hard completest, there are heaps of achievements to keep you occupied.

After beating this game, I learned it does have a spot in Steam, if you've played the original. It'll standard and quick level designs makes it the "McDonalds" of the Steam Library. Cheap, unremarkable, but you get a quick high.
  13. Jun 22, 2016
    Rise of the Triad is a remake of the off-beat 1994 Apogee FPS of the same name. ROTT's history reads like a "True Hollywood Story" of game development, with origins as a sequel to Wolfenstein 3D, and reusing of elements that were cut from the final version of the first Doom, itself originally conceived as a fantasy RPG. You play as one of five members of HUNT, black-shirted, trash-talkingRise of the Triad is a remake of the off-beat 1994 Apogee FPS of the same name. ROTT's history reads like a "True Hollywood Story" of game development, with origins as a sequel to Wolfenstein 3D, and reusing of elements that were cut from the final version of the first Doom, itself originally conceived as a fantasy RPG. You play as one of five members of HUNT, black-shirted, trash-talking secret agents, against the forces of the Triad: a gaggle of demon-worshiping nazi lookalikes with a penchant for leaving rocket launchers lying around- to their detriment and your amusement. They've taken over an island off the coast of Los Angeles and have nukes or something. That's about the extent of the premise. Thankfully, ROTT isn't the sort of game, or even the sort of FPS, that needs a plot.

We seem to be experiencing a resurgence of the old-school FPS, what with the amazing Wolfenstein: The New Order (which, I might add, has an excellent plot) and the forthcoming, long-awaited Doom 4. If Quake 5 isn't announced relatively soon, I'm going to be profoundly disappointed. With that in mind, this version of ROTT is about as old-school as you could possibly get. There is no regenerating health, no cover, no map, and no voice in your ear telling you what to do and where to go (not that I ever minded maps and mission control). You sprint at top speed all the time, enemies come at you from all sides and there are big, garish collectible coins and health pickups scattered about. There are a large number of jumping puzzles as well, thanks to ROTT's trademark floating platforms and jump pads, a holdover from the original game's engine limitations preventing things like solid bridges from being made. Pounding buttrock accompanies almost every level, enemies explode into ludicrous clouds of red mist and gibs, and the game even tracks your score and percentage of level completion. Your arsenal is limited, but potent: you can carry two pistols, a submachine gun, a special melee weapon and one launcher, of which there are many: regular rockets, ones that explode in a cross-shaped napalm spread, double rockets, horizontal fire waves that travel forward along the ground, seeking missiles and even a rotary automatic minirocket gun are all to be found, as well as the Doomstick: a triple-barreled, pump-action shotgun with alternate explosive fire. If you pick up a new launcher you drop the one you were holding and can return for it later, if you haven't passed any points of no return. The game is split up into distinct levels with checkpoints, across five episodes, each culminating in an explosive, shoot-at-it-until-it-dies boss fight, just like the good old days.

Except not everything about the old days was good. In its anal-retentive effort to mimic the early 90s style of FPS, it also retains the elements that annoyed me about those games. Some of the levels can be a bit maze-like, though not to the extent of Doom, and mission-critical switches and levers can often blend into the background. It's also relentlessly difficult, even on normal: Enemies hit hard and health pickups aren't as plentiful as they could be, and if you take more then one or two bad hits from a boss, you might as well reload your quicksave. There's also the dead horse of color-coded keys and doors, and some of the secret areas are so inane that you'd have better luck nocliping to find them. Many of them all but require you to rocket jump to get them as well, and while I wouldn't call that a drawback per se, shooting yourself in the foot with one of this game's launchers is really not a good idea. The game also has a few glaring technical problems: The lighting is either oppresively dark or so bright as to hurt my eyes, and the game is subject to semifrequent crashes, typically on loading a quicksave.

There's a multiplayer mode I haven't tried, but I would hope it's a faithful recreation of the sort of deathmatch play you'd find in Doom or the first ROTT.

If you grew up playing these sorts of games then ROTT will be a rare treat for you in this day and age, but less hardcore players may want to pass this one up, and I mean that in the nicest way possible: ROTT is not for the casual shooter fan, and it was never intended to be.
  14. Oct 14, 2013
    This is a game for masochists only. It is so frustrating because of the hyper-sensitive controls and retarded platforming. You're expected to jump onto moving platforms at Quake III speeds and if you miss judge the landing by one pixel you fall into lava and die. You than have to restart at a ridiculously far back starting point because the checkpoints are really far apart.
    This game
    This game would be fun if their was actual shooting in it. There is more jumping and platforming than shooting. Also, the explosions from your own weapons are more likely to kill you than from enemy fire because the blast radius is ridiculous, especially since most fighting is done in small spaces.
    This game is all the reasons I hated old school shooters no shooting, only crappy frustrating platforming and dumb level design.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.