6.8

1. Aug 2, 2013
    Where do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump in about 5 times now from different angles and nothing works, I just keep sliding into the lava. To make it even more annoying, you have to do the whole level again up to that point if you're that one pixel off. Still haven't gotten past it and I feel like it's such a waste of my time trying to do this one jump that should be so simple. In most cases during the game so far, about half the time I don't feel like it's my fault for dieing. The vast majority of the weapons are rocket launchers of some sort and all the objects, pillars and railings have hit barriers larger than you would think, so getting damaged by your own weapons happens all the friggin time. Much of the time the damage that traps do to you is extremely inconsistent. One time I got blasted by fire dead on and it only did like 20 damage. Another time I barely touched the edge of the fire and I practically exploded at full health. That's just scratching the surface but when the game decides to stop being unfair, it can be fun. The shooting for the most part is satisfying and the humor at some parts has made me laugh out loud. Expand
  2. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of the most ridiculous games you will ever play, which is why this game is so darn good. If you want to play an FPS present day graphics and old school gameplay, Rise of the Triad is the game for you. There's not many games that bring this much joy to a gamer like me. This one, however, manages to make me smile as soon as I start playing. In addition, it's dirt cheap, so there's no need to even think about it just buy it! I hope this game one day goes to other platforms so that other folks can experience this masterpiece for the master race. Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, originally the performance was bad but they did a patch soon after release to adjust this. It's a modern rehash of an oldschool FPS. The level design is okay and the graphics are fairly good. They made some good changes to weapons but I got a little irritated with the checkpoint system.
  4. Feb 7, 2014
    The only thing that i loved about this was the nostalgic fast gameplay of 90s shooters. Having performance issues and bugs. Single players difficulty is definitely overkilled, even easy seemed hard. AI simply aimbots you from every corner. And its quite difficult to realize where the shots actually come from. And the later levels also seemed kinda rushed or lazy. Multiplayer was okay. I wouldnt be hard with it if its on Beta state. But full release? Do not rush & stick more to the original chemistry. To be fair its a bit better than some big title remakes. Expand
  5. Aug 1, 2013
    Rise of the Triad is a revamped, old-style shooter that doesn't try to be like the newer games. It recaptures the feel of old school shooters while adding little features and twists that improve on the old without losing the spirit. It feels more like Wolfenstein and Doom than their own sequels. Keep in mind that it's an arcadish shooter with some tongue-in-cheek humor and over-the-top everything, not a serious, realistic one. It plays and displays smoothly. All in all, it's a fun game to add to a shooter lover's collection. Expand
  6. Aug 11, 2013
    Most of the low reviews come from people being frustrated with performance issues. I haven't had any such issues, but I can confirm that this game is indeed excellent and I am so glad I picked it up.
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    I don't get this game. The graphics are terrible and it gives me a headache. Performance is terrible it can go from 90fps to 30fps from one room to the next. I got this game on sale thinking it would be mindless fun but its just poorly developed trash. GJ DEVS
  8. Aug 6, 2013
    A lot of people won't enjoy this game because of its lack of similarities to call of duty, like its fast-paced gameplay, its abundance of secrets, the craziness of its weapons and powerups, and so on.
    It can play well on outdated hardware, but to max it out you need to have a very high-end computer, so don't be upset your 760gtx can't get 60fps on ultra, be happy your 460gtx can get 30 on medium.
  9. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fun at times, simply because it's old-school feeling and royalty to it's own roots. Yet, the game is poorly optimized, and there are some design faults which take away a huge chunk of your pleasure. Shame, this could have been a classic.

Still, I say it's a solid FPS with 6.5/10 score. Much better than many other FPS games out there.
  10. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is awesome. On release it has a few bugs and is lacking a few features you'd expect in multiplayer but it's super fast paced, the single player campaign is fun and ridiculous and it's full of nostalgia. Awesome job Interceptor & Apogee.
  11. Aug 1, 2013
    This is an amazing game. And I have to specify the fact that this is a VIDEO GAME. Not some "interactive movie" that you spend 50 bucks on, not a "cinematic experience" with scripted events and quicktime events every 30 seconds, THIS IS A GAME!
    You actually feel like playing levels. There's a ton of secrets and short cuts, there's collectibles like coins, there's all sorts of crazy
    weapons. Not only that, but it's actually a fair challenge. And it actually has some replayability unlike today's "movie games".
    What's great about this game is that although this is a remake, it features updated shooter mechanics which make this game actually play differently. The Unreal Engine also makes this game look better than most triple A games now a days. And all of that for 15 bucks. Not to mention that there's also multiplayer.

There's still some bugs and glitches here and there but for the price you're paying, you're getting more than a complete package. If you want to actually have a fun time while playing a game, pick this one up immediately.
  12. Oct 3, 2013
    This single player of this game is frustrating more than anything, and mostly because of the checkpoint system. It is also very hard to tell where you are getting shot from, and the damage indicator is not always pointed in the right direction. This is basic stuff that should have been fixed in testing. This game is nearly impossible and one of the most frustrating games I've ever played on the hardest difficulty, not because of the fps skill that it involves, but because of the memorization involved in learning the positions of enemies and traps in the huge areas between checkpoints.

This game definitely does have style, and the gameplay is similar to Serious Sam, but without the balance. Stuff like mowing down enemies with the smg and having their body parts go all over the floor is something I would love to see in more games. It's too bad this game could not fix the easily-fixable major problems it has that make it nearly unplayable.

Also, the multiplayer seems fun, with Unreal Tournament style arena shooter gameplay, but too bad there's no one online, ever.
  13. May 22, 2014
    This "remake" gets one and one point only. Just for the awesome Soundtrack! The rest is: Bad. Just plain bad! RotT wants to delude you into believing its some kind of fast paced twitchy shooter, capturing the feel of the "good old 90's-Shooters". But it's not. It's more of a try and error death-maze with edges and trip-hazards waiting for you at every corner. Could sound like some challenging experience, but you already know how much fun jumping puzzles in an egoshooter are? exactly: No fun at all.

So, every speed and "fast paced gunplay" that wants to be build up, is instantly squashed by annoying traps that you can't avoid through skill and will run inevitably into.
    Did I mention corners and little bumps that stop your run?

And don't forget mandatory bugs and crashes!

But the Multiplayer-matches have to be fun, don't they?
    They could be, when you would be allowed to host and join a simple match!
    Steam -> Rightklick -> Join?
    Wrong!
    You must use an external RotT-Server-Tool and HOPE there will be something like a connetion (WHY?! The Hell WHY?)!
    Get used to the "ludicrous lag ahead"-Screen.

Try "Brutal Doom" or "Shadow Warrior" instead!
  14. Aug 4, 2013
    Runs poorly on a computer that can run Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problem? Check. Constant clipping issues? Check. Bugs? Check. Graphics circa 2003 first person shooters? Check. Floaty controls? Check. Please ignore those 10/10 reviews as those people are either insane or have never played a decent fps, this game is BAD. I liked the original game but this feels like a cheap attempt at a revival of the franchise. If you are looking to play an fps that will give you that "classic" feel go play "Painkiller" or "Serious Sam" and avoid this.. Expand
  15. Jul 31, 2013
    Launch day Video issues are a common thing now a days...My 6990 has a few problems getting 60...But turning off a few things and it works great. This Game is nuts! AND the first game i think since 2002 to have DIRECT IP CONNECTION FOR MP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME. WHen you log in (Gog and steam MP servers for all) It says welcome to the master race!
  16. Jul 31, 2013
    Interceptor Software was given the go ahead by Apogee to bring their 1990's cult FPS classic, Rise of the Triad, back onto the scene with a new Unreal Engine based re-imagining. Released today via Steam, RoTT is as ludicrous as ever, but it's not without several caveats and it remains an acquired taste...kind of like Monk Meal.

In pretty much every way that matters, this reboot/remake
    is a 90s shooter with all the expected pros and cons. It’s lightning fast, and 90% of your arsenal is pinpoint-precise. Realism is thrown out the window, so levels are less “brown corridors” and more “big rooms full of spinning blades of death rolling past collectible coins”, or “tiny platforms floating above giant lava rivers”, or “ascent up a pair of physically impossible towers”, or “pedestals containing heavy weapons that rise out of reach when you approach, as secret walls open and enemies attack.” Or all of the above, on the same map.

Before you buy your copy of Rise of the Triad and you should you need to first ask yourself how easily you can live without gradual healing. Or cover mechanics. Or auto-aim. Or a HUD. If these things are to your FPS enjoyment what water is to not dying from thirst, then Rise of the Triad is going to destroy you. As difficult as trying to explain the popularity of Stone Temple Pilots hard. Rise of the Triad requires a lot of patience to complete, and that’s by design. In fact, Interceptor CEO Fred Schreiber said during a multiplayer session that the gaming system he keeps coming back to (besides PC, he was quick to make clear) is the NES, precisely because NES games can be so difficult to complete.

From start to finish, Rise of the Triad is obstinately dedicated to being as difficult as possible. Enemies are pattern-based. In-game interactive elements are difficult to precisely interact with. You have to find health when you get damaged, and you take damage excessively. Checkpoints are absolutely brutal make it to one and you’ll still find yourself grinding through waves of enemies again and again, often making it nearly to the end of a segment, and having to do it all over again when you’re blown up by your own missile.

But it’s hard to dislike Rise of the Triad for this sort of thing, because– no, I take that back. It’s very, very easy to get massively frustrated with Rise of the Triad and quit out of it because of this sort of thing, but the frustrations are somewhat forgiven when you wander into basically anything else. This is a game that makes shooting feel good, and it has enough heavy weaponry and things to shoot with that heavy weaponry that you’re doing stuff that feels good pretty much 90% of the time.

The single player campaign is much like the original game’s (and many shooters from that era) in that it functions largely as a chance to practice for the multiplayer. The plot is simple: A UN special ops team called H.U.N.T. is sent to San Nicholas Island (part of California’s Channel Islands) to investigate a strange cult based there. The team is attacked, their landing craft destroyed, and they must now fight their way through the cult’s labyrinthine fortresses and stop them before they execute their plan to blow up Los Angeles

Multiplayer is a scream. At launch, it has Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes, and more are promised. Interceptor is providing dedicated servers, but the game also allows LAN, Direct IP and player-hosted games as well. That’s good, because you’ll need to practice with friends a lot before testing your mettle against strangers who will almost certainly destroy you.

If you have played the original ROTT, and were a fan, you will be astounded how “extremely faithful” this reboot really is. While Interceptor has certainly added new elements to the game and created something pretty unique, they do this with so much reverence and respect to the original, you sometimes have to remind yourself you aren’t actually playing the 1993 classic. Every little detail is replicated and recreated here: the hovering discs, the coins, the injured enemies begging for mercy it’s quite incredible how seamlessly Interceptor has merged the old and the new to create what can simply be described as a reboot masterpiece.
    It was a real pleasure to play (replay) Rise of the Triad, and Interceptor deserves every bit of credit they get for rebooting an all-time classic in the FPS genre.
  17. Aug 17, 2013
    Terrible game. Bad performance issues, poor English grammar, unmemorable maps, terrible multi-player. Not even worth the $15. Avoid this steaming pile of cow manure. There are better games out there.
  18. Jul 3, 2014
    I would not do this ever but i have to do it.

It's been almost a year now and they still have not patched this HORRIBLE performance issue. I re-installed this game to see if it finally would work without me having to manually mess with the .ini files to get good performance but no. I dropped everything to Low on that game launcher and it did just as terribly as if i had the settings on
    Ludicrious. I cannot beleive this and that is why i quit and uninstalled it. Rise of the Triad is exaclty the kind of game i would want, but i cannot beleive how they don't bother to freakin fix the game. it's great how we have lierally zero Arcade FPS nowadays, and this one that is actually Arcade FPS, wont be fixed. I cannot do anything else but give a zero to this game because i am so furious right now. Expand
  19. Aug 1, 2013
    Oh my god. I never played the original but this game is awesome. In the time of CoD clones this game stands out. Everybody who like shooter should have played it once. Just 14$ better than a Black Ops 2 DLC
  20. May 12, 2014
    Together with bringing nostalgia to those who grew up with it, this game reminds us many of the flaws of the old RotT and other old FPS.
    For example, its a first person shooter with platforming, and not the great Mirror's Edge kind of platforming, this is the **** kind of platforming.
    Another annoyance is that sometimes enemies blend in with the background and its not easy to notice them
    before they shoot you and maybe kill you, which isn't a good thing for this kind of game.
    Also there is no quick saving and there are some performance issues.

Its a great game, and its hard, fans of the original will enjoy this one, everyone else will have frustrating moments but you might still enjoy it, especially if you're tired of the casual games or especially the casual shooters that pretend to be hardcore and fail at being either. At least it never gets boring.
  21. Aug 1, 2013
    People giving this game a 10/10 are either paid stooges or out of their minds. This game has so many faults it would take all day to list. The controls are sloppy, the graphics are outdated by a decade, the levels are small and uninspired, the movement speed is absurd, the auto-save is broken, the A.I. is stupid, and those are just the things that are working as intended. There are also a multitude of bugs causing graphic glitches, clipping, frame rate drops, and downright crashes. Yes, it is a bargain bin $15 title, but that is no excuse for releasing a piece of software that clearly still belongs in alpha testing. I gave this 2/10 only out of nostalgia, and it's a shame because this classic franchise deserved a better developer. Expand
  22. Jul 31, 2013
    Going to visit my dad every year for the holidays ROTT was the game I would play on my dads old Win 95 PC Now here we are in 2013 and they have brought back that same feeling I had back then only in HD All I have to say is for 15$ this is a great game
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD:
    Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons
    of graphics options.

THE BAD:
    No manual saving. Poor A.I. that doesn't always react to your presence. Small enemies that blend in too well with the environments. Widespread performance issues (frame rate drops and stuttering). Mouse smoothing that can't be disabled through the menus (plus when it's disabled via config edits, the movement still doesn't feel quite right).

OVERALL:
    A fun game that stays true to the original in many ways but also lacks polish. It's fast, furious, and challenging, but makes one wonder just how great it could have been had the developers spent more time optimizing the performance and kept a classic "save anywhere, anytime" system. Thankfully, for $15 it isn't much of a gamble and if you're a fan of shooters from the "good old days," go for it. Just expect your moments of glee to occasionally be interrupted by those of disappointment or thoughts of "what could have been."
  24. Aug 17, 2013
    Game is unplayable and unenjoyable. Multiplayer is a complete waste of time. Level design is insipid and uninspired. Developers appear to be 15 year olds. Save your money.
  25. Sep 15, 2013
    EDIT: Now that patch 1.1 is out, the game is perfectly playable (although I can't speak for everyone). Make sure to remove your previous .INI file in "...(backslash)Documents(backslash)my games(backslash)Rise Of The Triad" and restart your PC.

Unfortunately, the launch has been a bit rocky with various technical issues (for example, I can't change the graphical settings, music volume is
    very low and steam integration doesn't work, which means no achievements). So I won't lie and say my experience has been perfectly flawless.
    What is under all the temporary problems is a damn good game that fulfills its goals almost perfectly. This is as good as old-school fps remakes get, really.

You might think that Serious Sam is THE old-school experience to date, but it does not properly feature the level design, gameplay, Enemy AI and etc. that lovers of the old school FPS's are so familiar with. Rise of the Triad does. (I'm not saying Serious Sam sucks, It is indeed awesome)
    This game hasn't even begun to show its promises yet, with level editors and future updates on the horizon.
    The little multiplayer that I have played is really fun, but as of now, I can't say too much about it. It is pretty much what you'd expect. If you're looking for a great multiplayer twitch shooter, look no further.

So in conclusion, It's a great old-school shooter with a fresh coat of painting including satisfying gameplay both in multiplayer and singleplayer that is very worthy for its low price tag. Go get it! (Even if only to hear and see the Apogee logo again)
  26. Aug 4, 2013
    Checkpoints, bugs and bad performance are hurting this game. Part of making a 90's game is giving players freedom. That includes the freedom of saving whenever you want...
  27. Oct 14, 2013
    This is a game for masochists only. It is so frustrating because of the hyper-sensitive controls and retarded platforming. You're expected to jump onto moving platforms at Quake III speeds and if you miss judge the landing by one pixel you fall into lava and die. You than have to restart at a ridiculously far back starting point because the checkpoints are really far apart.
    This game
    would be fun if their was actual shooting in it. There is more jumping and platforming than shooting. Also, the explosions from your own weapons are more likely to kill you than from enemy fire because the blast radius is ridiculous, especially since most fighting is done in small spaces.
    This game is all the reasons I hated old school shooters no shooting, only crappy frustrating platforming and dumb level design.
  28. Aug 8, 2013
    ROTT is a mixed bag. It's fast. It's frantic. It's fun. At first. Then you start dying a lot. In the beginning you'll experience wanting to play "just one more section", but an hour or two later you'll start hating it. Why? One reason, it's really crappy game saving system. No F5, no F9, only automatic save checkpoints which are torturously far apart. So, you'll be replaying the same levels and sections again and again. And again. Finding the same secrets, same enemies, same puzzles, same coins over and over again. That isn't fun, it's frustrating and the lack of being able to save your game spoils what could otherwise be a fun game. You have been warned. Expand
  29. Aug 3, 2013
    Eh.... I didn't play it expecting very much, but it really was a diasppointment. I get that it's supposed to be a remake of an old 1994 shooter, but it still is lacking. While I didn't mind the graphics or crazy effects, the game was riddled with glitches and quite boring AI. You'd be better off playing something like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon if you want a comical,fast shooter.
  30. QOO
    Nov 16, 2013
    Rise of The Triad is a very broken game, but it has some fun included in it. It's pretty mixed, so I'll give my two cents. Pros: Fun, fast gameplay. Neat level design Cool weapons, like the Firebomb Great remastered soundtrack Quicksaves, finally. Cons: Multiplayer is empty. And I mean empty. Multiplayer also feels kinda tacked on. Performance issues. even with the patches, game is still laggy.
    A.I is dumb as bricks.
    Enemies blend in with the backgrounds, making it annoying to kill them.
    SP and MP both horribly unbalanced.
    Final boss battle glitches too often, makes the game almost unbeatable.

Overall, this game can be fun, but there are so many poor design choices, which you'll see. It makes me wonder sometimes, how some things could be screwed up so badly. Wait for a sale on this one.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.