8.5

1. May 30, 2013
    This game far exceeded my expectations. I'm a big fan of the Red Orchestra series, and just when I was starting to get bored of RO2, Rising storm comes along. AND IT'S AWESOME :D really immersive, gritty and realistic, it is really satisfying.
  2. May 30, 2013
    This game (or expansion really) accomplishes EVERYTHING that it sets out to do. Granted, the learning curve is high, particularly for those that come from more "arcade-style shooters" like CoD and Battlefield. But for those that stick with it Rising Storm has the power to terrify. Even as a player who has poured many hours into Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm I can say that this game still gives me that rush when I barely survive an artillery barrage. As the bullets fly you can't help dive for cover and pray you're not shot because very often, one shot is all it takes.

This is more than just a few maps as well! When you buy Rising Storm you also get Red Orchestra 2 rolled into it. In addition to all the maps in this game there is LOADS of free future content on the way! So for anyone that would like to play a realistic shooter that’s less buggy and more accessible than ARMA, Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 is the way to go!
    This is not a game for the light hearted. The weapons are true to life and the loadouts are as realistic as they come (expect to use a bolt-action rifle a lot).
  3. May 30, 2013
    This game for me is near perfect! Having played RO2:HOS from launch and hanging around long enough to see the mess of a release be polished into a hugely enjoyable experience I can safely say that I wont have to "hang around" this time as the polish on this game is already there! As some other reviews may indicate this game isn't for the tactically faint of heart. If run&gun game-play is what you crave look elsewhere as you will find yourself rage-quitting to "campers' you never see. But if you like joining a team, coordinating a flanking assault on an entrenched enemy position and feeling the satisfaction of a well-placed shot from a bolt action rifle over 150m smack into its target, then get inside! Some may well complain as to 'overpowered' flamethrowers, however these weapons are modelled on how they worked in actual conflict and add extra excitement and desperation almost like mini-bosses on the battlefield quickly focused down but able to break an enemy position with some luck. Banzai charges are pure thrill if done right as the Americans fall helplessly beneath the katanas and bayonets of imperial Japan. The core of the game though is teamwork, with a good server (and there are plenty around, shoutout to AU/NZ servers!) and good players you move in squads, coordinate flanking assaults with artillery strikes and charge through your squad leaders smoke cover to overwhelm the opposition! Some of the greatest thrills in gaming have been had in RO2 and Rising Storm only ups the ante. Only reason it wasn't perfect in my opinion was the lack of 'open' maps. These maps are great but are quite linear not allowing for full tactical flanking and freedom. Also the graphics while excellent probably dont hold up to the best new titles, but considering its an older unreal engine running this thing are pretty phenomenal and eye candy enough for me! If you feel like a more realistic playing experience with room for teamwork, gun-play that will leave you feeling a hero or lamenting that slight shift in your mouse as you clicked and a slower more tactical play-style. If not, this probably isn't your cup of tea (although i would recommend trying ti as you may well be converted) Expand
  4. May 31, 2013
    I am having more fun playing RS than I have had in a long time it's just as simple as that. I enjoyed RO2 but this takes it to a new level asymmetrical warfare as it should be represented.
  5. May 30, 2013
    Rising Storm is a Pacific Front based game done perfectly. 2 factions which are both completely different with completely different tactics, unlike most games now where both teams have similar weapons or the exact same(battlefield, call of duty). Rising Storm just like Red Orchestra does have a learning curb so expect to die a lot, which is perfectly fine, the game takes time to master but is extremely rewarding. The amount of content for the cheap price is just generous on the developers part. The game is also moddable so expect free custom maps in the future and hopefully free content updates. Expand
  6. May 30, 2013
    The game isn't absolutely perfect, (I can't believe they have a restriction until Level 13 to play 'Realism' mode which is the real way to play the game) BUT it is a fantastic game with a great atmosphere. Can't beat the value on this one.
  7. May 31, 2013
    Rising Storm has proven that they don't have to be shy in the market against competitions from juggernaut FPS titles like Crashed On Duty or Baffledfield, there's real authenticity about Rising Storm which notably stands out from your average shooters. Rising Storm has still room for improvement though, controls could've been better and maybe add in a couple of game modes. However, that being said, combat shines in Rising Storm, gameplay is awesome and addictive, credit to the developers for making such an amazing environment. Best $19.99 I've spent and a well deserved 9. Expand
  8. May 31, 2013
    Rising Storm is worth anyone's money for the sheer style and fluidity of its game-play, teams are asymmetric which sets out for an interesting experience playing as either allies or axis. The game itself is no picnic and is very punishing for those whom stray from their team in attempt to Rambo their way through a match. Its definitely filled a hole which was left from a certain Pacific Front themed fps from 2008 which has been abandoned by its publishers and left for hackers to run a mock. Expand
  9. May 31, 2013
    Great realistic first person shooter. Wonderful game for people who get bored playing easier games like Call of Duty or Battlefield 3. This game actually requires some time to learn and master. At $20, this game is a bargain.
  10. May 31, 2013
    This game is GREAT! but sadly your average COD BF3 player would not understand the learning curve, and how much better this game really is. I hope the Devs make lots of money and produce more of this material
  11. May 31, 2013
    Tripwire Interactive decided to reinvent and remaster its already near perfect Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad by releasing Rising Storm. The levels of realism in its Rising Storm is absolutely phenomenon and its approach to the level of details is astonishing. From its spot-on and accurate implementation of the weapons in the game to its tense and heart pounding gameplay, you're sure to experience a sense of achievement and accomplishment every time when kill an enemy upon releasing the trigger. All in all, Tripwire Interactive nails the game in every aspects from its sound design, atmosphere and gameplay mechanics. However, the only gripe upon playing the beta was the far respawn points allocated in the game, which was kind of a hassle due to the unnecessary distance. Players who appreciate realism in video game will definitely love this game due to its authenticity. Fret not, action-based players can also have fun and experience its action mode which offers a toned down level of realism, for example, visible crosshairs and a more forgiveable bullet impact. Expand
  12. May 31, 2013
    i recommend this great game. it is loads of fun to play for countless hours. way better than the original red orchestra 2! The only thing that I really do not like is that the maps are a bit linear. I prefer original Battlefield 1942 style maps with multiple flags scattered througohut the map that you have to independently capture and hold. i also would like to see them add more maps and some vehicles. sadly red orchestra 2 really fell short when it comes to having support for vehicles. Expand
  13. Jun 1, 2013
    This game is absolutely great, the graphics are good, the gameplay is realistic and smooth, you can choose between more arcadeish gamemodes or realistic gamemodes. This game is also great for teamwork.
  14. Jun 1, 2013
    Love this installment of Red orchestra! the atmosphere in this one is top notch! there is nothing like taking over a building with a squad full of banzai rushers! Good job tripwire, while other companies have drifted away from their community, you have remained loyal and certainly delivered!
  15. Jun 1, 2013
    If you liked Stalingrad you'll love this. Has met and exceeded all my expectations so far. The mechanics are basically the same but battles are fought on a tighter scale.
  16. Jun 1, 2013
    I love tactical, intense, (semi-) realistic shooters such as Project Reality, Arma....and Red Orchestra. Insurgency (a mod for HL2) got me into this whole world of tactical shooters, my second game of this kind was Red Orchestra 1. Now i'm playing Rising Storm, and it's really great, and totally satisfies me gameplay- and graphicswise. If you like slow paced, intense gameplay, where one bullet can already cause your death (if you don't keep your head down), large infantry Assaults/ brutal Banzai charges, nice and thoughtful gameplay features, then this is the game for you. Give it a try, the Devs deserve your support, just for taking risk to make something what's not casual. The fact that it's not even a full-prized game makes it even more attractive to me. People are always moaning that there are too many mainstream/casual games, and that they need something completely different, something new. Ladies and gentlemen, here is your game, so give it a chance Expand
  17. Jun 1, 2013
    This game takes everything that was good about Red Orchestra 2 and refines it. Really visceral feeling kills and just the right amount of strategy without feeling too confused and chaotic. The balance is really something to behold as well, I enjoy playing the banzai'ing Japanese just as much as the heavy gunning Americans. I've been in a couple of games where one side just completely over powers the other side, but it doesn't really hurt the experience because deaths don't feel cheap at all in this game like they do in other shooters; you'll know why you got shot when you get shot. Definitely recommend this game as a shooter fan and a Tripwire Interactive fan. Expand
  18. May 31, 2013
    Ok for starters this is a game that only fits a certain kind of player If that is you then you will like it. This is is a perfect match of tactical ww2 play Based off the RO2 game You actually get RO2 MP for free when you purchase Rising Storm. When i say tactical i do not mean arma 2 tactical but close Adjustable sights bullet drop, cover etc But is also disabled by choice in some servers I say if you like RO2 then you should like this. I personally have owned RO2 since it was released and didn't like RO2 But love this. This is the game i have been looking for The kind you have trouble wanting to get off.Which i have not found on PC since COD4 as in the 1st Modern warfare. Expand
  19. Jun 9, 2013
    Haha :D Arcade shooters won't like this.
  20. Jun 1, 2013
    It's very interesting to see a game that doesn't attempt to balance the two teams through monotony, the Japanese and American teams are truly different experiences when played correctly, the all out firepower of even the rifleman class on the American team is a joy to mess around with, whilst the quiet satisfaction of booby trap kills and all out intensity of banzai charges (coupled with the in game VOIP) make this a truly incredible experience.

If you enjoyed RO2, you'll LOVE this, and if the issue with RO2 was its slow pace or the game breaking bugs present on release, fear not, RS delivers in both those areas.

A must have for fans of high risk high reward shooters with incredible immersion to boot.
  21. Jun 1, 2013
    A solid and innovative addition to the RO series, Rising storm is obscenely entertaining and rewarding. Building upon the solid foundation of RO2, RS has its own unique style, and depth, based around the development team's pioneering of features that balance out, and funnify asymmetrical warfare. From desperate banzai charges, to Flame-throwers raining hell on Bunkers and trenches, improvised booby traps.. The combat is fierce and filled with mayhem. What's amazing is that for all the chaos of the battlefield the game remains cogent, balanced and the deep strategical gameplay remains intact.

Other Note: For players who, understandably ditched RO2's messy launch and buggy history, Tripwire has really ironed things out.
  22. Jun 4, 2013
    Rising Storm is the best experience you can have online as FPS so far. Great value package with the first Red Orchestra 2 gift as bonus, servers are merged and you can switch between two wonderful scenarios. Unfortunately the first RO2 was released with some minor problem, now Rising Storm is a full relaunch product. An astonishing indie game that doesn't have nothing less than triple A like Battlefield or Call Of duty. Awesome price also, you can buy for a ridicolous price on steam. Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2013
    This game can be pretty intimidating at first and you'll probably die a lot before you even see enemy soldiers. It's really based more on knowledge than raw skill. You don't need to have good twitch reflexes (though they can help) to be a good player. You need to know how the maps work, where your team needs you most, when to move, and how to not die. Generally one side attacks and one side defends. It is crucial to coordinate with your team, especially while attacking. There definitely seems to be a strong correlation between how many knowledgeable guys on your team are using microphones and how often your team wins. If somebody says "Everybody needs to bonzai charge the cap zone NOW!" you'll be surprised how quickly 20 or so Japanese soldiers are screaming into the smoke straight into the cap. You don't need to use a mic yourself, but you'd be wise to listen at least some of the time to your teammates advice (don't worry about the crazy guy that is screaming nonsense at his computer).

Overall it's a very fun game but has it's problems. Single player is pretty much non-existent if you care about that, the movement feels a little clunky and can be awkward when a player interacts with the level geometry. They unnecessarily split up the game into "action" and "realism" modes when it's obvious this game caters to the realism audience. It lacks some polish, but it's not a $60 huge budget game so that's to be expected. There could be more maps and more vehicles, especially the latter which have been neglected since the first RO.

All in all, a good game at a good price. 8.5/10
  24. Jul 6, 2013
    Rising Storm is a realistic, multiplayer only, first person shooter set in the pacific theatre. It has set the standard of first person shooters for me. As soon as I entered the game, I was thrown into a immersive world, where artillery shells were being called down near my position, the commander was barking orders to the squad leaders and the Americans were pushing us back.

There are
    two opposing factions in this game. The Axis represented by the Japanese and the allied forces represented by the United States of America. Each side has specific classes and features that make their faction good at a specific field. For instance the Japanese can deploy mobile knee mortar units, while the Americans have the flamethrower. The Japanese can banzai charge, bringing the morale of the Americans down while they get rushed. The Americans I believe can do suppressing fire which brings down morale. These are nice differences that when executed correctly can bring victory to either side.

There are four different squads, each composed of different classes. Each squad has a squad leader, which squad members can spawn on. There is one commander, which can call artillery strikes and recon. The commander is basically playing a strategy game, although it’s in first person and other players might not listen to his commands. This leads to a sense of realism, as other players are dealing with their own problems or might be too cowardly to charge a position.

The game also gave me a sense of importance, because of the emphasis in being in a squad. While you’re unable to be a lone wolf, or kill the entire opposing team with ease, the feeling of being important is very much apparent. It’s a nice feeling going in, and it’s what keeps me coming back for more.

The emphasis on team work is brutal. You either work as a team, or you lose the match. There is no getting by that. It’s one of the best features in the game, but also one of the worst. It’s incredibly frustrating when a commander doesn’t have a mic, or the squad leaders don’t know what they’re doing. Even more so annoying is when a commander does not listen to anyone on his team. If you’re going to be in a leader position, please have a mic.

The graphics are some of the most aesthetically pleasing I've seen, and even on the lower settings the game is just as functional although bland looking. The game could use some optimization in this area though. I often don't feel like I'm getting the best experience with my hardware, and sometimes there just seems to be some slow downs. On other computers, the game looks amazing.

Overall, this is one of the best first person shooters I have played if not the best. It's for a specific gamer, that values teamwork and realistic gameplay.
  25. Jun 8, 2013
    The best FPS of the Pacific theater currently on the market. Playing Iwo Jima as an American really brings out the horrible slaughter our Marines faced on that island. Check it out.
    `swamp
  26. Jun 4, 2013
    Essentially a more polished version of RO2, with a lot more opportunities for combat and less wasted space. This is a terrific expansion to the game and the maps are stunning, especially Iwo Jima. Definitely worth the price.
  27. Jun 8, 2013
    This is a fantastic multiplayer FPS. The kills feel very rewarding, and even the basic rifles give you a strong feeling of power. The wave respawn is brilliant, and the factions are varied. This is a true hardcore experience.
  28. Jun 9, 2013
    They nailed it when they made this expansion pack. This is by far one of the most realistic, thrilling, and fun shooters set in the pacific to date. The detail they put into the level design alone is fantastic. Everything feels very polished and cared for and you won't find many issues running the game on the higher to highest settings even with a midrange computer. You won't regret buying this game. Expand
  29. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is AMAZING. The cover system in this game is fantastic and it's intense. You'll find yourself taking cover more than just running around like a moron and shooting randomly. It requires teamwork and overall, in my opinion, this is by far the best FPS game I've played. Sure, I have played BF3 but that game is just different comparing to this game. For those of you who have this game and is reading this, please do play on realism or classic because this game was meant for those 2 modes. Not Action. Expand
  30. Jun 3, 2013
    This expansion can be described with just one word: amazing!

This is, by far, the best multiplayer FPS available. It's ambience, intensity, hunger for discipline,makes this game a winner among its genre.

I'm not a veteran yet, but I already have around 350 hours of play (counting RO2:HOS and RS), and newcomers must know that the game starts to be very frustrating. You'll die a lot,
    most of the times without even knowing what hit you, but if you really give the game a chance, you'll start getting better and get pleasure from every kill, every successfull run to cover or any other little thing that makes this game different.

Forget this if you want a no-brainer fast paced shooter, you'll hate it.

I don't give it a 10 because I believe it can be even better. It has some occasional bugs and/or glitches that can get you upset in the heat of the action, but those are rare, forgivable and I think Tripwire will get a hand on it sooner or later. Oh, another "con": with the release of RS, HOS maps are being left behind and I would hate to see that been extended in time, because HOS is equally brilliant.

Amazing franchise.

1. Aug 9, 2013
    Rising Storm may not be as intuitive as other similar titles or contain an extensive amount of content, yet it provides one of the more intensive and brutal multiplayer experiences on the market today.
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    This is refreshingly different from run of the mill action like Call of Duty. Even after the engine update it isn’t pretty, but what it lacks in beauty it makes up for with striking realism and a tense atmosphere.
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    Probably one of the best online FPS games with a WWII setting. This stand-alone expansion of Red Orchestra 2 is a must buy for fans of online shooters.