7.9

1. Jun 29, 2013
    Expect to win the game about as frequently as in vanilla Nethack. RL offers a challenging, fun, casual (hardcore-casual, though!) experience. You can pick the game up, head off and die a few times, then set it down and go do something else the dying actually serves the game very well to break the overall game up into bite-size chunks.

In RL, you're effectively grinding the game to get
    gear, stats, and abilities for the "over-game" which is the point in which you actually have a shot in Hell of getting through to the final area. There are a few glitches here and there, usually which'll kill you by, for example, having a character apparently undecided if he's on or off a ledge, so he can't jump but dying is fun.

RL adds quite a bit of fun easter egg type content throughout the castles to ensure things are always fresh, and that you always want to explore. The best part about this content is that it's very rare. You can die 50 times and never see more than a small handful of the "fun" rooms, so the freshness of these unique rooms doesn't wear off quickly like if you were seeing repeats so often, they become "normal."

I would say, if you like games similar to Binding of Isaac or Nethack, you'll appreciate the intentional imbalance in this game.
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is a fantastic game that combines the classic action-platforming style (and look) of Castlevania & Ghosts & Ghouls with a modern compulsion based structure that is as clever and innovative as it is challenging.

The game is far from easy, designed to be a "Rogue-Like" game where upon each death, you have to start over and delve once again into the randomly generated castle.

However, Cellar Door Games have lightened this hardcore feature in a creative and intelligent way through their Lineage System, allowing a sense of advancement and progression in a game fundamentally about perma-death and skill runs.

Upon each death, you are asked to choose an heir to your legacy. Your heir inherits the gold collected on your previous runs and can use it to upgrade Castle Components for new classes and permanent benefits, Forge New Weapons and Armor with statistical upgrades and powers and Enchant Runes that slot into each piece of equipment which grant you important skills to customize your character to your play style. All these upgrades carry forward to each heir in succession, slowly growing your legacy and power and allowing you to more quickly dispatch enemies and make more and more progress.

Humorous randomly assigned Traits (some cosmetic, some debilitating, some extremely beneficial) keep things fresh and endearingly hilarious on each run. This allows you to stay invested until your skills are good enough that the challenge of the level matches your understanding of the system and you to begin to use strategy to plan our your next assault choosing the hero with the class, traits or spells that would best suit your next run's goals.

Secret Areas, Chests and Skill Based Challenges make each new room of the castle an intriguing surprise as you hope for another armor blueprint, magic rune, or pile of gold that will allow you to purchase more upgrades and finally defeat that next ridiculous boss that has haunted you for generations.

The game's nostalgia value, smooth, simple controls and delightful humor draw you in, and it's upgrade and advancement system keeps you eagerly playing. The game overall is an impressive, innovative and rewarding title and aside from the difficulty, there is little not to like about this incredible indie game.
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    Great game, hard difficulty, alot of replay and a huge upgrade system.
    My only complaint is you upgrade certain types of charas (knights, mages, or barbarians) and the game still won't let you specifically pick that type. So you die and get a knave (nothing at all) a bard and a mage, but you've been leveling knights.... Basically you're gonna just spawn, run into castle and die because
    playing that class is pointless. This add nothing to my fun at all, huge downside for me. Going to try and get either cheats, or a mod to fix it. Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2013
    What you need to know is that this game is hard... it has a slightly steep learning curve (for today's gen)..
    if you've been playing retro games, then you'll fit right in...
    the game combines castlevania style combat, metroid style exploration with "RANDOMLY GENERATED LEVELSl" oh! and "with a pinch of ghosts 'n goblins"

metroidvania fans should be drooling all over this RIGHT NOW!

as the title of the game says, this is a roguelike game... permadeath...
    BUT
    you have an HEIR system... if you die, u can choose an heir who will be next to enter the castle... each heir has some different TRAIT like myopia, flatulence, etc...its mainly to keep the game fresh, though the traits are limited in number... each heir may or may not be of a different class.. the castle layout will be different when you enter each time...

the upgrade system is pretty good.. using ingame gold, you can unlock new classes, a blacksmith who sells you weapons, armor and stuff IF you can find the missing blueprints...similarly the enchantress for runes, which give you special abilities like hover, dash etc... play around with the runes to find your ideal combination..
    the architect is an important npc who will fix the layout of the castle so that you can replay the same layout.. this especially helps with boss fights and challenges...

the enemies lack in variety, but this isnt an issue..

overall this an excellent game which everyone should play, especially metroidvania and retro fans.
    solid game! go get it!
  5. Jul 1, 2013
    I normally hate games that have unforgiving learning curves and an element of randomness to them, but this game, for some reason, has been incredibly addictive to me. I will play it for an hour or two, then give up, feeling sick of it, only to come back after an hour for another round. It's hard, but it's fair, and once you learn what does and does not work for you, it gets much better. You learn how to play each class, which classes you prefer, what equipment loadouts work best for you with each class, and when you should avoid certain rooms and when you should go for it.

The random traits can be fun, and you also learn which ones are good, which ones are minor annoyances, and which ones you have to avoid. And the best part about that those three will vary from player to player. I personally can't handle the Colorblind trait, but some of my best playthroughs have come with the Vertigo trait, because it forced me to slow down and think.

For all the randomness, though, it's got little touches that keep it from getting out of hand. The castle's floor plan can be locked in, the areas are almost always located in the same general orientation (though I've had 2 runs where they were not correct), and there are little touches that prevent you from getting blindsided by damage, if you pay attention.

Only two real problems occur: there are a couple traits and runes that are far better then others (lots of areas only accesible by those with dwarfism, P.A.D. can make challenging rooms a joke, O.C.D. is always good, while siphon and vampirism runes will be your go to runes) and there are still some minor bugs ('Invulnerable' enemies die without seeming to take damage).

Overall, a very fun Metroidvania game. Don't be scared away by the roguelite aspect; the game handles it in a way that changes it from source of annoyance to fun way to break up tedium.
  6. Jun 27, 2013
    At its core, a castlevania-esque (it actually reminds me more of Ghouls n' Ghosts) platformer with fun, challenging gameplay. Where this game shines, however, is in the unique blend of influences from the rogue-like genre. Featuring permanent death, when a character dies, you begin playing as that character's child, inheriting the family lineage. Each new character is highly unique, however, and there are plenty of classes/specialization options. Characters have some sort of quirk-- if he is dyslexic, for instance, wrods iwll appaer scarmbeld; if she is colorblind, you will be enjoying the game in black-and-white (until she meets her unfortunate end, leaving her empire to her highly-flatulent dwarf son...etc etc). This highly innovative mechanic gives each playthrough a unique feel, aside from the typical rogue-like standards of character customization and world randomization.

tl;dr: A quality 2d platformer/rogue-like--with plenty of replay value, a steal for the price tag.
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    The most fun i had with a game in a long while. Its hard. Especially at the beginning. Even if its a rogue like game it has some retention of priror runs in form of money, equipment, enchantments etc. This is how you progress and are able to tackle harder enemies.

Its procedurally generated. Gives flashbacks to Castlevania and Ghost and goblins. Very addictive and fun! (Just one more run...)
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game, great controls, great art style, neat mechanics, interesting new approach.

Yeah, it's pretty much awesome. Think Castlevania Symphony of the Night Dark Souls Randomization in the form of a hardcore side-scrolling action platformer. I really don't get where the criticism of the controls is coming from. Maybe it's the controller? I used a Dualshock 3 with MotionInJoy and
    the XInput option to emulate the 360 controller. The D-Pad on it worked perfectly for me. If not, I really suggest people just play it a little bit more. The controls are -perfect- once you get used to them. Otherwise, you'd never get through the later areas.... Expand
  9. Jun 30, 2013
    This game looks and plays like a side-scrolling Action-RPG from 20 years ago. You jump, attack and dodge around the enemies and their attacks. There is one randomly generated dungeon with a few different types of areas in it. There are a couple dozen different types of enemies and the same boss fights each time. The controls are solid and it plays well with a gamepad. The gameplay is not complicated, but the game itself is challenging. You will probably die a lot, but at least it will be your fault. Victory is not an eventuality, so if you get frustrated easily you may wind up not enjoying yourself. (I can pretty much guarantee the people who gave this game negative reviews got frustrated and quit.) Every time you die, you will start over as one of three new randomly generated characters of randomized classes, but you get to spend the gold you've earned on the previous run on upgrades. By default all of the gold you do not spend will be taken from you when you re-enter the dungeon, so if you perform poorly you may not be able to upgrade anything but if you put together a good run you will be able to buy numerous upgrades. It can be a bit of a grind to accumulate enough upgrades and/or increase your skills enough to defeat the game, especially if you aren't very good at these types of games. Beating this game won't get you anything fancy but it feels like an accomplishment. For the price it is a good value and has long-term re-playability. It would be perfect as a portable but is still good on a PC. It could benefit from more enemy variety and customizable options, but overall a good play. Expand
  10. Jul 2, 2013
    If you love roguelike games and/or metroidvania type action RPGs, this game will suck your hours dry. It is super fun and addictive and very well designed. Never played anything that Cellar Door previously put out (And they break the 4th wall in this and talk rather cruelly and sarcastically about their previous games) but regardless of whatever past mistakes they've released as an indie developer, they have a surefire hit on this one. There is a reason this game topped Steam's Top Seller list for a week, and it probably would still be on there if not for the new sales, and that reason is you can't get more a more fun, addictive Action RPG game than this for $15, worth every cent, and I gladly would have paid more. (hint hint devs, think about doing some DLC!). Have played about 16 hours so far. Expand
  11. Jul 5, 2013
    A great mix of Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Castlevania SON, Super Metroid, and Mega Man. If you loved any of those series you should pick up this game. Its a challenging game and extremely addicting. I just wish there were more traits and the progression wasn't so grind gold heavy. I cheated for extra gold and the game was much much more fun (I can't stand grinding for gold and its pretty easy to just use a HEX editor and get you the gold).

The randomized levels really gives this game its staying power and makes every play through interesting and fun.

The only thing this game is missing is multiplayer and maybe a few more traits, enemy classes, and areas to explore. Overall it just does so much right. A must have for 2013.
  12. Jul 11, 2013
    A brutally hard, incredibly fun RPG in the style of Castlevania:SotN. Multiple classes, traits, each with pros and cons, user controled stat growth through the multiple branched upgrade systems (Tower, blacksmith, and Enchantress).

A controller isn't required, but helps tremendously due to the game type. Xbox controller support natively.
  13. r50
    Sep 8, 2013
    I enjoyed this game very much. There's also not much else like it so I'd recommend it if you're interested in roguelikes and platforming. Feels a lot like Castlevania and Ghost & Goblins.
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    I like this game a lot. It's not as punishing as other rogue-likes, so it's a lot more accessible. Every life, you have to pick between 3 children, and each child has different classes and traits, so you're forced to learn the nuances of game as opposed to just learning 1 small subset, which is refreshing.
  15. Sep 4, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is an extremely fun and challenging game that I have really enjoyed playing. I generally do not play games like RL, but decided to give it a try nonetheless. I have played seven hours so far, and I have to say that I won't be beating the game any time soon. To me this is a strength of the game. The fact that I can play seven hours of a game and feel like there is much left for me to discover and find is truly a rarity in gaming these days. With the runes found in rooms that are difficult to complete, and the blacksmith blueprints, and even the skill tree, there is a lot to explore here. One of the best parts of Rogue Legacy is the randomly generated castle. There are multiple sections, and in order to win the game one must beat the four bosses from all the areas and then a final boss (if I'm not mistaken). So far, I haven't beaten one boss yet, but I feel as though I will soon be able to. The classes are another strength of the game. They are quite varied, with Shinobi having low health but dealing damage, the paladin being the well rounded class, and around five other classes (so far) that are available when you choose your heir. Overall, I recommend giving this game a shot regardless of what anyone may regularly play. The game is certainly funny, challenging, and deceivingly simple--in short, it's a blast. Expand
  16. Two
    Jul 5, 2013
    This game is hard. It manages to dangle progress infront of the player just enough to keep them wanting more though. The style is reminiscent of 8bit game days and trust me when I say this, it really helps if you have a controller to go with it. I found the music a little lacking, and my only other complaint is that sometimes I found myself wanting to throw my computer against the wall because I'd failed, yet again, to get enough gold for an upgrade I needed and charon was going to take it all anyway. All in all, the game is great. Expand
  17. Jul 13, 2013
    Really challenging and fun game, super ghouls and ghosts meets castlevania SOTN. I highly recommend getting an xbox gamepad for your PC for this. Unfortunately this is the only controller that I've read works, but I think they're trying to change that. If they haven't done so already, you may need to dig around for a 3rd party program like xpadder to map your joystick buttons to your keyboard buttons, that's what I ended up needing to do. Definitely worth the trouble, though! Expand
  18. Aug 9, 2013
    Rogue Legacy Review - Originally posted on http://www.yeahyeahcool.com/2013/08/08/rogue-legacy-review/ By: William Valdes @WTValdes Let’s go back in time nearly thirty years ago. The year was 1985. A hot new game from Capcom hit the arcades that September called ‘Ghouls ‘n Goblins’. You pop a quarter in the machine and your quest begins as Arthur, a knight in shining armor who must battle armies of the evil undead to rescue the fair Princess and bring about peace to the entire kingdom. It becomes quickly apparent that this game is tough! You hack and slash your way through the 2D side-scrolling level until you meet your inevitable demise. Up to this point, Rogue Legacy is strikingly similar to Ghouls ‘n Goblins in many ways but it’s also where the similarities end and Rogue Legacy’s unique hook gets the spotlight.

Once your character dies, you choose from one a few possible next-of-kin to continue on the quest. With a new generation, comes a huge variety of different classes, abilities, and traits. One moment you may get a female dwarf-barbarian with light feet that won’t trigger floor spike traps, another time, a giant male mage with color-blindness that turns your screen black and white. You also inherit all of the gold acquired in the previous run which can be used to level your character up with increased attributes or new weapons and armor. New abilities also empower your characters just as much as leveling does. A room filled with spike traps is made all the safer with double jumps and mid-air dashes. Enemies gradually become more difficult as you level up and the various area bosses are challenging but gratifying when you defeat them. The layout of the castle you explore is procedurally generated, so it resets with each new generation unless you’re willing to give up some gold to lock down the most recent layout.

Fans of the 16-bit era will feel right at home with the look and feel of this game. This game has full controller support on Steam and like pretty much every platformer, it’s best played with one. The controls feel great, the game looks great and the gameplay is super addictive. Playing Rogue Legacy was one of those rare experiences for me where time just fly’s by while you’re in a deep gaming trance. I really like this game. A lot. One of the best games I’ve played all year.

A
  19. Aug 12, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is funny, addicting, and has surprising hard game play. The boss fights are satisfying, my only problem with them is how few of them there are. Character progression is phenomenal, the way they implemented re-spawning system is clever and makes more sense than the typical systems. You get a new guy every time, a descendant of the person you had previously played. You choose between 3 characters, each have a different play style and different traits. You can have a dwarf trait and be extremely small or gigantism and be very big. There are too many traits to list, some are funny and don't do anything. I recommend playing the game with a controller, I found it difficult to play on keyboard. Expand
  20. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is pure awesome. So addictive! It is pretty challenging at first until you level up your abilities and get some decent gear but the difficulty is what makes it great. Just be nice if you could leave the dungeon and buy stuff/change gear without having to die. Also, the sounds affects are pretty naff and the music can get seriously annoying. Almost finished it 3 times through now and still can't get enough. Expand
  21. Jul 24, 2013
    An amazing game well worth the purchase. Loads of replay-ability. If you like a challenge and don't rage-quit because you suck at video games, then you should have no troubles playing this game. It's a blast and not one to be missed.
  22. Jul 18, 2013
    Castlevania? Check. Rogue-like mechanics? Check. Awesome graphic style? Check. Amazing music? Check. Check. Incredibly challenging? Funny gimmick to make that less frustrating? Check. Replay value? Check. At least an excuse plot? Check, and then add some. This game is brilliant in many, many ways. All my praises would be a list of what the game is. It's fun and it's a challenge, and that's a rare combination. Just go play it. It's like they reinvented one of my favorite games to enhance it. Even "farming" here is a challenge, it's really well made, that's all there is to say on the matter. (side complaints: it has some very minor stupid things, but they are very rare and compared to other games of the genre it's almost irrelevant: I found myself dead due to unavoidable spike balls upon entering a room from above, floating wizards that can't decide wether their projectiles pass through walls or don't, and a somewhat arbirtary relation between dashing lancers and slopes. also the vampire equipment set needs tweaking) Expand
  23. Jul 8, 2013
    BUY A 360 CONTROLLER BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

As somebody that usually hates platformers, after watching some trailers of Rogue Legacy, I thought it had a lot of humour in it. But what really captured my attention was the tons of equipment and upgrades. The game is difficult, but as you progress, and learn the controls and actions of the mobs, it becomes fast paced, fluid, and most of all:
    intense.

I've been playing it for hours and hours, and I feel like you just can't stop playing. It's so exciting and fast paced. It's very, very rewarding when you get loot, and come back knowing you're able to upgrade your castle(stat upgrades), and buy equipment.

Great game.

Buy it.
  24. Jul 13, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is a great game with many hours of gameplay. If you like Infinity Blade for IOS, this will be one of your favorite games. With the fact that you have heirs when you die, considering they have different traits and classes, it's endless at the amounts of possible heros. You can build your manor and unlock new classes, increase stats, and more.

I think this is well worth
    the 15$. And everyone should try it Expand
  25. Jul 13, 2013
    This little game is just packed full of AWESOME! The rogue-lite system is great where you have to start over if you die but your heir can use the gold you collected and the bonuses you've unlocked so you get stronger and stronger. Rogue with progression.
    Traits are fun. ADHD makes you faster, dyslexia makes you unable to read, nostalgia makes the game sepia toned and gay makes just about
    no difference what so ever....awesome!

So, look beyond the 8bit-like graphics and have some pure fun with this game!

(best played with a controller)
  26. Jul 28, 2013
    WARNING This game isn't for new gen peeps who like hand holding.
    Yes this game is hard, but that just makes it more rewarding.
    I have 12 hours on it, and I keep going back to it.
  27. Aug 2, 2013
    Great game, Hard but fair with a ton of replay, it gets really fun about two hours in, then it slows a little, and gets really fun mid New Game Word of advice, play with a controller, much much better with a controller.
  28. Aug 5, 2013
    Fascinating!
    Nice Graphics, good Gameplay, cool ...diseases? Really Fascinating at all!
    I will have to play this game for a long time "with a few issues"
  29. Aug 17, 2013
    Nothing to talk, it's Roger Galaxy. Only Brazilian people will understand, anyway, the game is awesome and you can play with your friends or brother/sister. The boss battles are fun and the game has a huge sense o humor.
  30. Sep 14, 2013
    Old school side scrolling platformer with a twist. Family legacy based, each character you play has traits some beneficial and some negative, sometimes none at all. When you die you get a choice of children heirs to take your place each with different traits and class types. Almost everything is upgradable. Riches and upgrades follow you as you progress building a family tree of characters that tried to defeat the castle. Every time you start you get to spend your money and whatever you don't spend you have to pay to death to enter the castle. Very fun game. Very well built. Boss fights are extremely challenging as they should be. Any negative reviews are mostly because the player sucks at games in general. Understand that dying is part of this game. Its intended to not be won in a single character. Each time you die you get to upgrade your characters by upgrading your castle or buying new weapons you acquired during your last characters travels. Magic enhancements like double jump or dash can be added and if you like you can lock the castle to the last version you entered for a percentage of your earned income this attempt through the castle. Good replay ability with randomly generated dungeons. Expand

1. Mar 11, 2014
    If you look up the word addiction in a dictionary, you will find out what that word means. But the dictionary might just as well display a picture of Rogue Legacy. [Dec 2013]
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Amazing old-school mechanics meet modern conventions.
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    Roguelike games have become increasingly popular of late and it’s great to see one which rewards you for all the time spent by allowing a form of character progression. It’s mitigated to a point by having you lose all your money before entering a castle and each purchased bonus makes all the others more expensive.