Sanitarium PC

8.9

1. Nov 30, 2013
    I've wanted to play this game for a long time and kept it in my GOG.com wishlist for about a year. Lately a very interesting project appeared, it is called Stasis, it's an isometric horror|point-and-click adventure strongly influenced by Sanitarium, so after backing it on Kickstarter I went to GOG and bought a copy of Sanitarium.
    The visuals very neat isometric 2D graphics (I love
    The visuals very neat isometric 2D graphics (I love everything isometric), nice cinematics and pretty many of them.
    The audio the music is okay and the main thing I didn't expect the full voice-overed dialogues, that was really a nice surprise!
    The story it combines the real world and the hallucinations of Max. It has some generic twists, but overall it's decent. Besides, it's mature.
    The atmosphere it is great, creepy, has a lot of scary details, corpses, gore etc. There is a constant psychological pressure and a feeling of desperation.
    The gameplay I'm not a big fan of Adventure genre, and not a good player in this genre, I had to look for the walkthrough sometimes, but I'm sure I could get everything myself cause the puzzles are pretty logical. As a letdown I'd call the clunky character movement, it's hard to make accurate moves and you can easily find yourself climbing a ladder when you don't need it. The character moves rather slow and it is annoying. Also the movement animation looks odd at times, for example, when you play as Olmec, he moves backwards most of the time. Also because of that the rare combat scenes feel very clunky and annoying. I'd say the combat scenes didn't seem natural in this game, I'd better leave them behind.
    Overall, a really good and atmospheric game and I found some similarity with Planescape: Torment, which I do love.
  2. Mar 6, 2015
    I recently played Sanitarium for the first time and found it had interesting environments and logical puzzles to solve. The game is getting old so don't expect cutting-edge graphics but they still hold up in 2015. I've not played a lot of classic "point-n-click" adventure games so was relieved to find most all of the tasks and puzzles pretty straight forward. I only got frustrated atI recently played Sanitarium for the first time and found it had interesting environments and logical puzzles to solve. The game is getting old so don't expect cutting-edge graphics but they still hold up in 2015. I've not played a lot of classic "point-n-click" adventure games so was relieved to find most all of the tasks and puzzles pretty straight forward. I only got frustrated at one or two points in the entire game. The real joy for me however, was the variation in environments. Because the PC is "crazy" the writers dump him into increasingly bizarre situations, confronting increasingly bizarre NPC's. The overall story never really develops into anything spectacular but the ride is fun. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2011
    Oh... I think I'm the first one here. It is very strange indeed in consideration of what a really magnificent game Sanitarium is. I'll be laconic. Believe 32 years old creaker, you'll never find more deep, touching and smart game as this. Although Sanitarium is pretty easy as representative of adventure genre, it's full of cross-cultural references, to fully understand which is meant to beOh... I think I'm the first one here. It is very strange indeed in consideration of what a really magnificent game Sanitarium is. I'll be laconic. Believe 32 years old creaker, you'll never find more deep, touching and smart game as this. Although Sanitarium is pretty easy as representative of adventure genre, it's full of cross-cultural references, to fully understand which is meant to be very educated and also very unhappy person. Terror of existence of a Single man against the World shines through almost every frame of the game. Part The Mansion is unbelievable. You'll meet your own beloved Big ghosts and find Mister Clown for your dying sister. And maybe you'll become a little better at the end, but if your life lead you to the game, I'm sure you are already exceptional. Expand
  4. Nov 6, 2012
    I've played this when it came ot like a 100 years ago and now reinstalled it. And guess what: it drew me in just like the 1st time. great eerie setting, wonderful main character, logical & fun puzzles, easy to navigate. Above all it has the one thing that most games of today are lacking: atmosphere, this magical special something. Sanitarium is a veritable gem and I highly recommend it toI've played this when it came ot like a 100 years ago and now reinstalled it. And guess what: it drew me in just like the 1st time. great eerie setting, wonderful main character, logical & fun puzzles, easy to navigate. Above all it has the one thing that most games of today are lacking: atmosphere, this magical special something. Sanitarium is a veritable gem and I highly recommend it to every adventurer who wants to dive into mystery full of twists and turns ... Expand
  5. Nov 11, 2013
    It is a good game, or at least I think it was in his time, to the day of today Sanitarium feel extremely old and boring, but I didn't expect much of a game more than 15 years, if I felt a bit disappointed with the gameplay and story. Sanitarium gives us a good dose of mystery, but I guess that for this time it is impossible to recommend games of this type.
  6. Aug 14, 2011
    in the beginning, it looks like it might be a story with an interesting twist, which maybe deals with the inner thoughts of a psychopath. after about halfway through, it is becoming clear that it's just another run-of-the-mill pseudo-mystery story which has about as much complexity as the story of house of the dead 2.

i continued playing because i hoped there might still be a twist

i continued playing because i hoped there might still be a twist coming but pretty short before the end, i'm not even interested in seeing some cliche ending.

also, the control scheme is pretty awful (no ability to run and at times it's easy to mistakenly walk up and down stairs - during which one loses control of the character) and while some of the images were interestingly surreal, they IMO should've shown a lot more gore and maybe if the camera was more close up, it would've been nice especially for the gore.

puzzles are nice and pretty logical though, that (and the fact that it does have a nice overall design) is the reason why i still rate it 5/10. but i wouldn't recommend it.
  7. Jan 22, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *Graphics* There are very nice details, but the isometric view doesn't allow for a deep immersion. Because of this, and being a graphic adventure, expect to go "pixel-hunting" many times. The character is slow, and it often gets stuck in unskippable animations going up and down the stairs.
    *Sound* Some voices are remarkable, as the kids' in the second chapter. Others are dull and boring: the main character overreacts, mostly.
    *Game* Quite interesting at the beginning, with dark atmospheres and bizarre things happening, but the attempt to make a consistent plot ruined it. The more you progress in the game, the less mad and horrible things are; at the end of the climax it's clear that the character is not only perfectly sane, but he's a "Good guy" fighting an "evil enemy". Chapters 10-11 are utter non-sense, and the combat scenes are awful. Nonetheless, puzzles are funny and stimulating.
    Somehow interesting twists and nice challenges kept me interested, so I'd recommend it!
  8. Sep 13, 2017
    I love this game, it's one of my favorites. Love the art style, games like this and Little Big Adventure are what I like. You can get this game on GOG (good old games dot com), and deserves to be there because it's old but a goodie. The cinematics looks really stunning and gorgeous. It's a puzzle-like game, psychological-thriller and point-and-click adventure, i'm really into these kind ofI love this game, it's one of my favorites. Love the art style, games like this and Little Big Adventure are what I like. You can get this game on GOG (good old games dot com), and deserves to be there because it's old but a goodie. The cinematics looks really stunning and gorgeous. It's a puzzle-like game, psychological-thriller and point-and-click adventure, i'm really into these kind of games. It takes you to a lot of places, different appearences for the same character, our character is Max Laughton. You'll be thrilled by the story, is really great and I love it. I recommend to play this game to anyone. I never played this game on my childhood, but I felt after I finished it that I've played this game my whole life. Memorable masterpiece. Could not give it less than 10. Expand
  9. Tgc
    Nov 2, 2015
    Great adventure game with unique atmosphere and graphics (isometric view is rare in this genre). Puzzles are well balanced however there are some minor problems with finding object that you can interact with (i.e. pixel hunting for a small stone that you can pick up). Also problem is with interface, I would prefer classic point&click + ability to run, than kinda strange way to hold mouseGreat adventure game with unique atmosphere and graphics (isometric view is rare in this genre). Puzzles are well balanced however there are some minor problems with finding object that you can interact with (i.e. pixel hunting for a small stone that you can pick up). Also problem is with interface, I would prefer classic point&click + ability to run, than kinda strange way to hold mouse button and keep pointing place where to go.

BTW I had huge problem with playing this (version from GOG) on modern machine. Random crashes with are hard to deal with (there are no direct patches, you could try limit execution of the game to 1 core, which helps but still i was playing with constant fear of crash...).
  10. Aug 21, 2017
    Completely underrated masterpiece,
    An adult storytelling surrounded with an amazing ambience, and dark atmosphere,
    full of twists and suspense.
    Briliant!

There are no critic reviews yet.