8.9

1. Mar 9, 2011
    Oh... I think I'm the first one here. It is very strange indeed in consideration of what a really magnificent game Sanitarium is. I'll be laconic. Believe 32 years old creaker, you'll never find more deep, touching and smart game as this. Although Sanitarium is pretty easy as representative of adventure genre, it's full of cross-cultural references, to fully understand which is meant to be very educated and also very unhappy person. Terror of existence of a Single man against the World shines through almost every frame of the game. Part The Mansion is unbelievable. You'll meet your own beloved Big ghosts and find Mister Clown for your dying sister. And maybe you'll become a little better at the end, but if your life lead you to the game, I'm sure you are already exceptional. Expand
  2. Nov 6, 2012
    I've played this when it came ot like a 100 years ago and now reinstalled it. And guess what: it drew me in just like the 1st time. great eerie setting, wonderful main character, logical & fun puzzles, easy to navigate. Above all it has the one thing that most games of today are lacking: atmosphere, this magical special something. Sanitarium is a veritable gem and I highly recommend it to every adventurer who wants to dive into mystery full of twists and turns ... Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2013
    It is a good game, or at least I think it was in his time, to the day of today Sanitarium feel extremely old and boring, but I didn't expect much of a game more than 15 years, if I felt a bit disappointed with the gameplay and story. Sanitarium gives us a good dose of mystery, but I guess that for this time it is impossible to recommend games of this type.
  4. Aug 4, 2013
    Men when you play games like this, you know that it's something big because you are feeling it.

-Unique Graphics, just amazingly surprising because you don't need those but this game is in another level. Insane how you feel the madness of the people and other things around you only because the story is amazing

-Gameplay, point and click in a map full of puzzles an unknown story. The
    characters around you will help you to discover what's next. And believe me or not, they will screw your mind. A little bit hard sometimes, but this is what i call a living experience (or something like that, i don't speak english)

Anyway there's more

-Story, Sanitarium is the craziest thing ever. It's a MAD HOUSE! You're trying to talk with crazy people, you're sane and no one likes you, because they aint normal persons. Just discover what's the matter! Why all around you are trying to hide like WTF!

-Atmosphere, this is my personal section, this game IS ATMOSPHERE that's right!

For it's age, i highly recommend this game like one of the games i have ever played. Masterpiece
  5. Nov 30, 2013
    I've wanted to play this game for a long time and kept it in my GOG.com wishlist for about a year. Lately a very interesting project appeared, it is called Stasis, it's an isometric horror|point-and-click adventure strongly influenced by Sanitarium, so after backing it on Kickstarter I went to GOG and bought a copy of Sanitarium.
    The visuals very neat isometric 2D graphics (I love
    everything isometric), nice cinematics and pretty many of them.
    The audio the music is okay and the main thing I didn't expect the full voice-overed dialogues, that was really a nice surprise!
    The story it combines the real world and the hallucinations of Max. It has some generic twists, but overall it's decent. Besides, it's mature.
    The atmosphere it is great, creepy, has a lot of scary details, corpses, gore etc. There is a constant psychological pressure and a feeling of desperation.
    The gameplay I'm not a big fan of Adventure genre, and not a good player in this genre, I had to look for the walkthrough sometimes, but I'm sure I could get everything myself cause the puzzles are pretty logical. As a letdown I'd call the clunky character movement, it's hard to make accurate moves and you can easily find yourself climbing a ladder when you don't need it. The character moves rather slow and it is annoying. Also the movement animation looks odd at times, for example, when you play as Olmec, he moves backwards most of the time. Also because of that the rare combat scenes feel very clunky and annoying. I'd say the combat scenes didn't seem natural in this game, I'd better leave them behind.
    Overall, a really good and atmospheric game and I found some similarity with Planescape: Torment, which I do love.
  6. Aug 14, 2011
    in the beginning, it looks like it might be a story with an interesting twist, which maybe deals with the inner thoughts of a psychopath. after about halfway through, it is becoming clear that it's just another run-of-the-mill pseudo-mystery story which has about as much complexity as the story of house of the dead 2.

i continued playing because i hoped there might still be a twist
    coming but pretty short before the end, i'm not even interested in seeing some cliche ending.

also, the control scheme is pretty awful (no ability to run and at times it's easy to mistakenly walk up and down stairs - during which one loses control of the character) and while some of the images were interestingly surreal, they IMO should've shown a lot more gore and maybe if the camera was more close up, it would've been nice especially for the gore.

puzzles are nice and pretty logical though, that (and the fact that it does have a nice overall design) is the reason why i still rate it 5/10. but i wouldn't recommend it.

There are no critic reviews yet.