Sanitarium PC

8.9

1. Nov 30, 2013
    I've wanted to play this game for a long time and kept it in my GOG.com wishlist for about a year. Lately a very interesting project appeared, it is called Stasis, it's an isometric horror|point-and-click adventure strongly influenced by Sanitarium, so after backing it on Kickstarter I went to GOG and bought a copy of Sanitarium.
    The visuals very neat isometric 2D graphics (I love
    The visuals very neat isometric 2D graphics (I love everything isometric), nice cinematics and pretty many of them.
    The audio the music is okay and the main thing I didn't expect the full voice-overed dialogues, that was really a nice surprise!
    The story it combines the real world and the hallucinations of Max. It has some generic twists, but overall it's decent. Besides, it's mature.
    The atmosphere it is great, creepy, has a lot of scary details, corpses, gore etc. There is a constant psychological pressure and a feeling of desperation.
    The gameplay I'm not a big fan of Adventure genre, and not a good player in this genre, I had to look for the walkthrough sometimes, but I'm sure I could get everything myself cause the puzzles are pretty logical. As a letdown I'd call the clunky character movement, it's hard to make accurate moves and you can easily find yourself climbing a ladder when you don't need it. The character moves rather slow and it is annoying. Also the movement animation looks odd at times, for example, when you play as Olmec, he moves backwards most of the time. Also because of that the rare combat scenes feel very clunky and annoying. I'd say the combat scenes didn't seem natural in this game, I'd better leave them behind.
    Overall, a really good and atmospheric game and I found some similarity with Planescape: Torment, which I do love.
  2. Mar 6, 2015
    I recently played Sanitarium for the first time and found it had interesting environments and logical puzzles to solve. The game is getting old so don't expect cutting-edge graphics but they still hold up in 2015. I've not played a lot of classic "point-n-click" adventure games so was relieved to find most all of the tasks and puzzles pretty straight forward. I only got frustrated atI recently played Sanitarium for the first time and found it had interesting environments and logical puzzles to solve. The game is getting old so don't expect cutting-edge graphics but they still hold up in 2015. I've not played a lot of classic "point-n-click" adventure games so was relieved to find most all of the tasks and puzzles pretty straight forward. I only got frustrated at one or two points in the entire game. The real joy for me however, was the variation in environments. Because the PC is "crazy" the writers dump him into increasingly bizarre situations, confronting increasingly bizarre NPC's. The overall story never really develops into anything spectacular but the ride is fun. Expand
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Men when you play games like this, you know that it's something big because you are feeling it.

-Unique Graphics, just amazingly surprising because you don't need those but this game is in another level. Insane how you feel the madness of the people and other things around you only because the story is amazing -Gameplay, point and click in a map full of puzzles an unknown story. The

-Gameplay, point and click in a map full of puzzles an unknown story. The characters around you will help you to discover what's next. And believe me or not, they will screw your mind. A little bit hard sometimes, but this is what i call a living experience (or something like that, i don't speak english)

Anyway there's more

-Story, Sanitarium is the craziest thing ever. It's a MAD HOUSE! You're trying to talk with crazy people, you're sane and no one likes you, because they aint normal persons. Just discover what's the matter! Why all around you are trying to hide like WTF!

-Atmosphere, this is my personal section, this game IS ATMOSPHERE that's right!

For it's age, i highly recommend this game like one of the games i have ever played. Masterpiece
  4. Nov 6, 2012
    I've played this when it came ot like a 100 years ago and now reinstalled it. And guess what: it drew me in just like the 1st time. great eerie setting, wonderful main character, logical & fun puzzles, easy to navigate. Above all it has the one thing that most games of today are lacking: atmosphere, this magical special something. Sanitarium is a veritable gem and I highly recommend it toI've played this when it came ot like a 100 years ago and now reinstalled it. And guess what: it drew me in just like the 1st time. great eerie setting, wonderful main character, logical & fun puzzles, easy to navigate. Above all it has the one thing that most games of today are lacking: atmosphere, this magical special something. Sanitarium is a veritable gem and I highly recommend it to every adventurer who wants to dive into mystery full of twists and turns ... Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2011
    Oh... I think I'm the first one here. It is very strange indeed in consideration of what a really magnificent game Sanitarium is. I'll be laconic. Believe 32 years old creaker, you'll never find more deep, touching and smart game as this. Although Sanitarium is pretty easy as representative of adventure genre, it's full of cross-cultural references, to fully understand which is meant to beOh... I think I'm the first one here. It is very strange indeed in consideration of what a really magnificent game Sanitarium is. I'll be laconic. Believe 32 years old creaker, you'll never find more deep, touching and smart game as this. Although Sanitarium is pretty easy as representative of adventure genre, it's full of cross-cultural references, to fully understand which is meant to be very educated and also very unhappy person. Terror of existence of a Single man against the World shines through almost every frame of the game. Part The Mansion is unbelievable. You'll meet your own beloved Big ghosts and find Mister Clown for your dying sister. And maybe you'll become a little better at the end, but if your life lead you to the game, I'm sure you are already exceptional. Expand
  6. Tgc
    Nov 2, 2015
    Great adventure game with unique atmosphere and graphics (isometric view is rare in this genre). Puzzles are well balanced however there are some minor problems with finding object that you can interact with (i.e. pixel hunting for a small stone that you can pick up). Also problem is with interface, I would prefer classic point&click + ability to run, than kinda strange way to hold mouseGreat adventure game with unique atmosphere and graphics (isometric view is rare in this genre). Puzzles are well balanced however there are some minor problems with finding object that you can interact with (i.e. pixel hunting for a small stone that you can pick up). Also problem is with interface, I would prefer classic point&click + ability to run, than kinda strange way to hold mouse button and keep pointing place where to go.

BTW I had huge problem with playing this (version from GOG) on modern machine. Random crashes with are hard to deal with (there are no direct patches, you could try limit execution of the game to 1 core, which helps but still i was playing with constant fear of crash...).

There are no critic reviews yet.