Serious Sam II PC

7.0

1. Jinko
    Mar 9, 2006
    Wonderfully chaotic. A pleasure to unleash the day's frustrations on never-ending hoards that truely deserve to be rendered.
  2. K.Dep
    Nov 7, 2005
    If this game sold for $60, it would get a 2. The price is good, and so is the game. The value is excellent. It's not HL2 or Quake 4 people, get used to it. It's funny, entertaining, and wildly fun. It's one of those games where holding down the trigger for 5 minutes is actually the strategic way to win. Simple, yes. Easy - heck no. I really enjoy this game and the laughs it If this game sold for $60, it would get a 2. The price is good, and so is the game. The value is excellent. It's not HL2 or Quake 4 people, get used to it. It's funny, entertaining, and wildly fun. It's one of those games where holding down the trigger for 5 minutes is actually the strategic way to win. Simple, yes. Easy - heck no. I really enjoy this game and the laughs it brings. It's refreshing. Expand
  3. ZB
    Oct 18, 2005
    Fun game, but the orignals were more ground breaking.
  4. CapitanCrasy
    Oct 8, 2005
    Finally Sam the serious one and returned... Great!!!
  5. Eon
    Jan 18, 2008
    [Real score 92/100] It has some things that I think game industrys is seriously lacking, like creative level design and lots of humor. This is game is so serious it kept me laughing or smiling throughout entire playthrough. Gameplay may seem monotonous, but who cares if you are having so much fun. It kept reminding me of Psychonauts with it's humor. Recommended for everyone that [Real score 92/100] It has some things that I think game industrys is seriously lacking, like creative level design and lots of humor. This is game is so serious it kept me laughing or smiling throughout entire playthrough. Gameplay may seem monotonous, but who cares if you are having so much fun. It kept reminding me of Psychonauts with it's humor. Recommended for everyone that don't take games too seriously. Expand
  6. Joe
    Nov 15, 2005
    This game looks sweet, even with my only decent system. My friend has a top spec pc & on that it just looks awesome. It looks like this game scales really well depending on the pc you have. I had heaps of fun playing this game. Th enemies can be really funny & the action just doesnt stop for the most part.Also there is the biggest baddest level bosses any game has ever seen here. All in This game looks sweet, even with my only decent system. My friend has a top spec pc & on that it just looks awesome. It looks like this game scales really well depending on the pc you have. I had heaps of fun playing this game. Th enemies can be really funny & the action just doesnt stop for the most part.Also there is the biggest baddest level bosses any game has ever seen here. All in all its a 2005 game of the year contender, for those who like non-stop shooter fun. Expand
  7. Feb 25, 2012
    I got this game after having played First Encounter, Second Encounter, and then Serious Sam 3 BFE in that order. I'd watched youtube videos of gameplay and my first impression was that it looked silly, stupid and easy, and wasn't worth my time. But then there was a steam sale and I picked it up for 3.5 bucks and thought: what the hell, I wouldn't be a true fan unless I'd played every game.I got this game after having played First Encounter, Second Encounter, and then Serious Sam 3 BFE in that order. I'd watched youtube videos of gameplay and my first impression was that it looked silly, stupid and easy, and wasn't worth my time. But then there was a steam sale and I picked it up for 3.5 bucks and thought: what the hell, I wouldn't be a true fan unless I'd played every game. The result startled me. I found this game really fun, and very true to the Serious Sam formula with a few additions. The game looks great, almost as good as HD, but what it lacked in the minor graphics department it made up in design and color. There's twice the variety of enemies in SS2 vs other titles, and also many more locations which keeps things interesting and fresh. The difficulty is what you'd expect from a Serious Sam game, however it is a touch easier, so I recommend bumping up the difficulty one more notch than what you are used to. There's a life system, which i assume is left over from consoles, but ignore it and use the traditional quick save and quick load feature that the PC version has. The jokes are very hit and miss. Some are laughable, and some don't even make sense. Yes the game is very silly if you watch the cutscenes, and a lot of the enemies have silly designs like clowns, footballers and witches, but these are very easy to look past if you want to, or you could embrace and enjoy the silliness, but you quickly forget it anyway when being attacked by 50 units at once. The levels are shorter, approx 25mins per level as opposed to the hour long grinds of the originals, but there's also a lot more of them and in total the single player campaign is a few hours longer than originals. The levels are also smaller, with less space to run, and there's a lack of those iconic vast battlefields, however this is balanced by your character running slower than in the original games. Wrapping things up, Serious Sam 2 is an underrated and unappreciated classic that is very much worthy of the franchise and should be played by all those that loves things Serious Sam. It's louder, it's more colorful, it's sillier, but it still packs plenty of punch and kicks your ass. Go play now,k? Expand
  8. Jun 5, 2012
    An all-time classic. Expanding on the first with better graphics and great humour. Can't call yourself an FPS gamer until you've completed this. Get it and complete it.
  9. Aug 4, 2013
    Sam II's wild, random charm makes for a twisted Duke Nukem meets Alice in Wonderland sort of roller coaster ride-a perfect change of pace from the scads of grim 'n' gritty shooters steeped in WWII war zones and dystopian postapocalyptic futures. Just don't take it too seriously, OK?
  10. Mar 22, 2014
    Theres so much I can say about this game, but I will try to only mention the important parts that will help you decide if its your kind of game.
    I already mentioned in my TSE review that Serious Sam is all about developing your own tactics against different types of enemies, then the game throws at you those enemies in really different ways testing your tactics and skill, different enemies in different numbers mixed in different ways with each other, placed in different ways on different maps, and if you don't take it in a more tactical way the games might get too chaotic at times, but if you're in the mood that can also be a good thing, just running around killing everyone, that feels great if you are in the mood for that. Also, one of the best soundtracks, and I listen to lots of soundtracks!

But heres where the problems with Serious Sam II start: The difficulty isn't as balanced as it was in the previous games, at some points the waves of enemies seem way too long and the action becomes more tedious, but the worst part is that shooting enemies and blowing **** up doesn't feel as satisfying as it does in the other games.
    Some guns feel weak, the explosions also lame, enemies sink into the ground as soon as they die, blood is replaced by some weird smoke that disappears soon and its not ever red for many enemies, somehow I still enjoy this game but it can't compare to the feeling the other Serious Sam games, both older and newer ones, can give you.
    The level design is also not that great, sometimes too linear and sometimes feel empty, people who like exploration would enjoy the other games more. And the worst part is probably the least important part,the silliness. Both the look of the game, the jokes and the story went too far with this silly cartoony style. I love how much more colorful the game is compared to half the games in the franchise, but making it cartoony is probably part of why the shooting isn't as fun, the story is garbage and the jokes are sometimes too childish.
    Theres smaller problems, like one short platforming part later in the game or the point where they throw lots of zombies with shotguns at you followed by Kamikazes in a tiny room earlier, but Ill just end this with saying, this game has lots of problems and definitely cannot in any way compare to The Second Encounter, so there are better alternatives.

So why do I still love this game? I'm not sure. Maybe its a little bias, since thats one of the first games I've completed, my first shooter and first Serious Sam game, maybe because it has more bosses and variation then the other games and a bunch of cool ideas, even if half of that is **** maybe because the soundtrack is still really awesome, or just because its still, with all its flaws, a Serious Sam game at its core, and while being the most flawed of them, it is still a really fun Serious Sam game and it wants you to have fun with it.
    You can have fun with it, if you're in the right mood and don't have any high expectations from it.
  11. Feb 16, 2015
    Well really a great Sci-fi game. As a Serious Sam fan I like this game. This game has just changed the gameplay of Serious Sam . Also gives a great look. The story is fine but doesn't give a serious story telling. But overall as a Serious Sam fan I love this game.

1. I had almost forgotten how much fun I had playing the original Serious Sam, but it only took one level full of laughter and insane action to quickly remember why Sam is still the best FPS game in its class since the original Doom.
  2. Still, Sam nails exactly what it's aiming to do, which is to throw scores of enemies at you in some of the most frantic firefights you'll ever experience.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Few other FPS titles can match the intensity of this nitrous-charged shooting gallery, but plenty of them offer the kind of less that feels like much, much more. [Nov 2005, p.104]