Serious Sam II PC

7.0

1. AD
    Sep 21, 2005
    Same as serious sam 1. Same monsters, same guns etc.. But is quite an enjoyable FPS shooter. a time of writing you can buy the game for around £6, which I think is worht a look.
  2. JesseC.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Budget price tag aside, Serious Sam II relies too much on simple, silly fun to keep your attention longer than a few minutes. Even with the extreme lack of depth in the game, killing hundreds or even thousands of enemies is a good premise, but poses a problem when the core combat of the game isn't enjoyable or satisfying at all. I don't want to sound repugnant or anything, but Budget price tag aside, Serious Sam II relies too much on simple, silly fun to keep your attention longer than a few minutes. Even with the extreme lack of depth in the game, killing hundreds or even thousands of enemies is a good premise, but poses a problem when the core combat of the game isn't enjoyable or satisfying at all. I don't want to sound repugnant or anything, but when you shoot somebody in a game you want feedback, explosions, you want the enemy to fire back a few feet, and blood shooting everywhere. You want a sense of actually hitting something. In Serious Sam II there is none of that. When you shoot somebody it feels like you are just taking away his health and when his health hits zero he'll die. Vechicle segments are simple and would be much more satisfying if they were treated the same way. One of SS2's strongest features are it's graphics. It may not be a F.E.A.R or Quake 4, but alot of outside environments are massive (though not as massive as the original's levels) and extremely colourful. Thank god there are no dark corridors in this game. Serious Sam II is a one trick dog, and when that one trick is pretty lame in the first place a game like this can't succeed. This is a below average title. Expand
  3. Warmonger
    Oct 15, 2005
    Pretty mediocre stuff!... I found it fun and frustrating all rolled into one. I think that they could have accomplished so much more (graphically) after three years, and because of this, it does not compare to the original or look that much better in fact! What a shame!!...save your $$$.
  4. May 10, 2013
    It feels like a sequel made by a contracted out of house studio that had no design restrictions...
    While the level and weapon design may be unique from other shooters the overall feel of the game is unpolished at best. There are obvious breaks in the map design where you can see places you aren't supposed to, the cut scenes look terrible and have obvious consistency issues (part of the map doesn't look the same as it did while you were playing) they are boring and just something you want to skip in general. Most of the combat is really easy and there are places where you can literally just stand still and hold fire and you'll win, none of the "run and gun" that made the previous title great is really necessary...
    The game tries to break up some of this monotony with vehicle "mini-games." I call them that because the vehicles are overpowered and usually instantkill death machines that win you the game instantly... but try to run through the same scene without the vehicle and you'll be put up against an unwinnable battle, so it leaves you little choice in the matter. Overall if they had at least tried to stick to some of what made The First/Second Encounter good they might have made a good title, but in the end it feel flat on it's face.
  5. Mar 12, 2011
    The first one is way better this one just goes boring...
  6. Mar 29, 2013
    Cool game back when it was released. In 2013 it is much out of date. The viewpoint is clunky and the graphics are bad compared to modern games. Not a good buy for a first-time play.
  7. Jun 9, 2013
    An insult to the original games. Slow, boring, unsatisfying. Can't belive this was made by the same studio.
    Lost all of the original flair and in comparison the enemy hordes are tiny, unthreatening and well... cuddly.
  8. Eon
    Jan 18, 2008
    [Real score 92/100] It has some things that I think game industrys is seriously lacking, like creative level design and lots of humor. This is game is so serious it kept me laughing or smiling throughout entire playthrough. Gameplay may seem monotonous, but who cares if you are having so much fun. It kept reminding me of Psychonauts with it's humor. Recommended for everyone that [Real score 92/100] It has some things that I think game industrys is seriously lacking, like creative level design and lots of humor. This is game is so serious it kept me laughing or smiling throughout entire playthrough. Gameplay may seem monotonous, but who cares if you are having so much fun. It kept reminding me of Psychonauts with it's humor. Recommended for everyone that don't take games too seriously. Expand
  9. Oct 6, 2013
    Compared to the original, too many enemies spawned suddenly around the player, while there is not enough space for dodging enemies' deadly projectiles. This makes player have to take a conservative approach, i.e. staying in corner for cover, instead the run-and-jump shooting style in original.
  10. LukeK.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Fun old time game, but thats just it its time for somethin new.
  11. Feb 25, 2012
    I got this game after having played First Encounter, Second Encounter, and then Serious Sam 3 BFE in that order. I'd watched youtube videos of gameplay and my first impression was that it looked silly, stupid and easy, and wasn't worth my time. But then there was a steam sale and I picked it up for 3.5 bucks and thought: what the hell, I wouldn't be a true fan unless I'd played every game.I got this game after having played First Encounter, Second Encounter, and then Serious Sam 3 BFE in that order. I'd watched youtube videos of gameplay and my first impression was that it looked silly, stupid and easy, and wasn't worth my time. But then there was a steam sale and I picked it up for 3.5 bucks and thought: what the hell, I wouldn't be a true fan unless I'd played every game. The result startled me. I found this game really fun, and very true to the Serious Sam formula with a few additions. The game looks great, almost as good as HD, but what it lacked in the minor graphics department it made up in design and color. There's twice the variety of enemies in SS2 vs other titles, and also many more locations which keeps things interesting and fresh. The difficulty is what you'd expect from a Serious Sam game, however it is a touch easier, so I recommend bumping up the difficulty one more notch than what you are used to. There's a life system, which i assume is left over from consoles, but ignore it and use the traditional quick save and quick load feature that the PC version has. The jokes are very hit and miss. Some are laughable, and some don't even make sense. Yes the game is very silly if you watch the cutscenes, and a lot of the enemies have silly designs like clowns, footballers and witches, but these are very easy to look past if you want to, or you could embrace and enjoy the silliness, but you quickly forget it anyway when being attacked by 50 units at once. The levels are shorter, approx 25mins per level as opposed to the hour long grinds of the originals, but there's also a lot more of them and in total the single player campaign is a few hours longer than originals. The levels are also smaller, with less space to run, and there's a lack of those iconic vast battlefields, however this is balanced by your character running slower than in the original games. Wrapping things up, Serious Sam 2 is an underrated and unappreciated classic that is very much worthy of the franchise and should be played by all those that loves things Serious Sam. It's louder, it's more colorful, it's sillier, but it still packs plenty of punch and kicks your ass. Go play now,k? Expand
  12. Jinko
    Mar 9, 2006
    Wonderfully chaotic. A pleasure to unleash the day's frustrations on never-ending hoards that truely deserve to be rendered.
  13. Aug 4, 2013
    Sam II's wild, random charm makes for a twisted Duke Nukem meets Alice in Wonderland sort of roller coaster ride-a perfect change of pace from the scads of grim 'n' gritty shooters steeped in WWII war zones and dystopian postapocalyptic futures. Just don't take it too seriously, OK?
  14. Jun 5, 2012
    An all-time classic. Expanding on the first with better graphics and great humour. Can't call yourself an FPS gamer until you've completed this. Get it and complete it.
  15. Paul
    Nov 3, 2005
    Great Fun! AD you are reviewing the wrong game, you are thinking of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter release ages ago. This is Serious Sam 2.
  16. K.Dep
    Nov 7, 2005
    If this game sold for $60, it would get a 2. The price is good, and so is the game. The value is excellent. It's not HL2 or Quake 4 people, get used to it. It's funny, entertaining, and wildly fun. It's one of those games where holding down the trigger for 5 minutes is actually the strategic way to win. Simple, yes. Easy - heck no. I really enjoy this game and the laughs it If this game sold for $60, it would get a 2. The price is good, and so is the game. The value is excellent. It's not HL2 or Quake 4 people, get used to it. It's funny, entertaining, and wildly fun. It's one of those games where holding down the trigger for 5 minutes is actually the strategic way to win. Simple, yes. Easy - heck no. I really enjoy this game and the laughs it brings. It's refreshing. Expand
  17. Joe
    Nov 15, 2005
    This game looks sweet, even with my only decent system. My friend has a top spec pc & on that it just looks awesome. It looks like this game scales really well depending on the pc you have. I had heaps of fun playing this game. Th enemies can be really funny & the action just doesnt stop for the most part.Also there is the biggest baddest level bosses any game has ever seen here. All in This game looks sweet, even with my only decent system. My friend has a top spec pc & on that it just looks awesome. It looks like this game scales really well depending on the pc you have. I had heaps of fun playing this game. Th enemies can be really funny & the action just doesnt stop for the most part.Also there is the biggest baddest level bosses any game has ever seen here. All in all its a 2005 game of the year contender, for those who like non-stop shooter fun. Collapse
  18. CapitanCrasy
    Oct 8, 2005
    Finally Sam the serious one and returned... Great!!!
  19. ZB
    Oct 18, 2005
    Fun game, but the orignals were more ground breaking.
  20. Mar 15, 2016
    Serious Sam: First Encounter was perfect game. Nice, simple with challenge and with a lot of fun. Serious Sam is trying to show you better graphic, more funny moments, more enemies, weapons etc. But scenes, where you should laugh, you are not laughing. New or modified weapons are not good balanced. Enemies are not interesting. Level design and re-spawning enemies are not ok. After fewSerious Sam: First Encounter was perfect game. Nice, simple with challenge and with a lot of fun. Serious Sam is trying to show you better graphic, more funny moments, more enemies, weapons etc. But scenes, where you should laugh, you are not laughing. New or modified weapons are not good balanced. Enemies are not interesting. Level design and re-spawning enemies are not ok. After few levels, I was bored and I've had no motivation to continue. It's not bad game, but it's not working for me. All those details from Serious Sam: First encounter are worse. And those worse details destroyed excellent game. Now it's just average FPS game. I'm going to buy Second Encounter HD. Expand
  21. Mar 22, 2014
    Theres so much I can say about this game, but I will try to only mention the important parts that will help you decide if its your kind of game.
    I already mentioned in my TSE review that Serious Sam is all about developing your own tactics against different types of enemies, then the game throws at you those enemies in really different ways testing your tactics and skill, different enemies in different numbers mixed in different ways with each other, placed in different ways on different maps, and if you don't take it in a more tactical way the games might get too chaotic at times, but if you're in the mood that can also be a good thing, just running around killing everyone, that feels great if you are in the mood for that. Also, one of the best soundtracks, and I listen to lots of soundtracks!

But heres where the problems with Serious Sam II start: The difficulty isn't as balanced as it was in the previous games, at some points the waves of enemies seem way too long and the action becomes more tedious, but the worst part is that shooting enemies and blowing **** up doesn't feel as satisfying as it does in the other games.
    Some guns feel weak, the explosions also lame, enemies sink into the ground as soon as they die, blood is replaced by some weird smoke that disappears soon and its not ever red for many enemies, somehow I still enjoy this game but it can't compare to the feeling the other Serious Sam games, both older and newer ones, can give you.
    The level design is also not that great, sometimes too linear and sometimes feel empty, people who like exploration would enjoy the other games more. And the worst part is probably the least important part,the silliness. Both the look of the game, the jokes and the story went too far with this silly cartoony style. I love how much more colorful the game is compared to half the games in the franchise, but making it cartoony is probably part of why the shooting isn't as fun, the story is garbage and the jokes are sometimes too childish.
    Theres smaller problems, like one short platforming part later in the game or the point where they throw lots of zombies with shotguns at you followed by Kamikazes in a tiny room earlier, but Ill just end this with saying, this game has lots of problems and definitely cannot in any way compare to The Second Encounter, so there are better alternatives.

So why do I still love this game? I'm not sure. Maybe its a little bias, since thats one of the first games I've completed, my first shooter and first Serious Sam game, maybe because it has more bosses and variation then the other games and a bunch of cool ideas, even if half of that is **** maybe because the soundtrack is still really awesome, or just because its still, with all its flaws, a Serious Sam game at its core, and while being the most flawed of them, it is still a really fun Serious Sam game and it wants you to have fun with it.
    You can have fun with it, if you're in the right mood and don't have any high expectations from it.
  22. Feb 16, 2015
    Well really a great Sci-fi game. As a Serious Sam fan I like this game. This game has just changed the gameplay of Serious Sam . Also gives a great look. The story is fine but doesn't give a serious story telling. But overall as a Serious Sam fan I love this game.
  23. Oct 22, 2014
    wtf did you do to this game
    IS THIS SERIOUS SAM
    it's a dull, boring, long elevator ride.
    NOW SHOULD YOU GET THIS!?
    There's nothing new here
  24. Jun 15, 2015
    I found this game not much fun and rather tedious unlike the 2nd encounter which is the best and most fun Serious Sam.

It's too mindless. Even though I liked the 2nd Encounter, Serious Sam 2 just didn't appeal to me All the game is, is shoot stuff get a cutscene, get to another planet with friendly aliens which differ slightly, maybe by colour but all sound the same as the aliens that were on the other planet and are all small and bipedal. Fight some boss, get medallion repeat until you get all 6 pieces. It's very repetitive and feels mindless and pointless. With jokes and humour that falls flat and only those 10 and under would be amused by.

This is like the kids version of Serious Sam with cartoony over bright graphics and enemies such as clowns and witches that look like they came straight from a cartoon and clowns have the exact same cackle as the witches and instead of the major mechanoids there are now T-Mechs which have dinosaur heads and tails and Rhino Cybertoys which look like giant wind up toy rhinos instead of Sirian werebulls which just shows new enemies are made with a kiddie like theme. And while I don't mind, kiddie or cartoony type games, I feel it does not suit this game and prefer the darker, grittier feel of The Serious Sam Encounters.

This is the worst Serious Sam. It's a rather average game bordering on bad.
  25. Oct 3, 2014
    This game is good,But not my favorite ,It's worth a buy,It's a goofy shoot'em type game.

Pros:

Fun gameplay

Goofy story

Badass weapons

Cons:

Bland at times

To hard at times

KHAN

Overall this game was...okay,You shouldn't pay more than 9.99Usd for it.

I give it a : 5/10
  26. Mar 18, 2015
    The game isnt that bad but the bugs in game are really terrible sometimes my ammo dissapears, If they would fixed the bugs that are like 15i n game i would give it a 8.
  27. Apr 21, 2015
    Well Serious sam 2 isnt bad as others, i like the animatic add to it but thats not enough to keep me intertained but its better than the 3rd one well game soon go downhill dont they?
  28. Feb 29, 2016
    One of those "cool" games Serious Sam 2 goes beyond its genre and provide us with lots of shooting and colorful views. You may feel sick afterwards. Still worth a try.
  29. May 29, 2016
    I'm not sure why so many people are giving this game such a high review score. The level design is poor, the enemies are cartoon like and embarrassing to witness, the story line crow barred in is awkward and unpleasant, the guns feel like they fire clouds and the most bitter pill to swallow is the fact that they called it a Serious Sam game. This game was only surpassed in its badI'm not sure why so many people are giving this game such a high review score. The level design is poor, the enemies are cartoon like and embarrassing to witness, the story line crow barred in is awkward and unpleasant, the guns feel like they fire clouds and the most bitter pill to swallow is the fact that they called it a Serious Sam game. This game was only surpassed in its bad development by the one and only Duke Nukem Forever. "These guys have seriously lost their heads". Expand

1. I had almost forgotten how much fun I had playing the original Serious Sam, but it only took one level full of laughter and insane action to quickly remember why Sam is still the best FPS game in its class since the original Doom.
  2. Still, Sam nails exactly what it's aiming to do, which is to throw scores of enemies at you in some of the most frantic firefights you'll ever experience.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Few other FPS titles can match the intensity of this nitrous-charged shooting gallery, but plenty of them offer the kind of less that feels like much, much more. [Nov 2005, p.104]